204 LANDMARKS OP WAYNE COUNTY.
whom he had nine children : Nathan S., Jane, David, Lydia, Charles, Mary, Charlotte,
Emma and Eva, the two latter twins. Mr. Ridley died in 1860 and his wife in 1888.
Budd, Gilbert, of Macedon, was born in the town of Sodus, February 5, 1818. His
father, John I. Budd, was a native of Rensselaer county, his occupation being farming.
He married Elizabeth Speckerman, and they were the parents of nine children. Gil-
bert Budd was the second child of this marriage. He has followed the occupation of
his father and is engaged in farming. In 1847 he married Marian M. Clark, and to them
was born one child — a daughter. Mr. Budd and family are faithful members of the
M. E. Church, and liberal contributors to that as well as to other charitable organiza-
tions, he having placed a fine bell at large cost upon the church. In politics he is a
Botcher, Carl, was born in Mechlenburg, Germany, February 28, 1842, and came to
the United States with his parents at the age of twelve years. He located first at
Rochester, and in the spring of the following year came to Newark. November 16,
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
1865, he married Kate Bloom of Newark, formerly of Germany. They have two chil-
dren Hattie E., who married William Utter of this town, and has two daughters,
Helen A. and Gertrude F.; and Clarence G. Botcher, a farmer with his father. Carl,
sr., father of our subject, was born at the old home in Germany in 1807, and married
Mrs. Henrietta Schwartz, of his native place, and they had two sons ; Carl, jr., and
John, who was a soldier in the late war, having enlisted in the 148th N. Y. Volunteers,
and died in the South. Mr. Botcher died November 9, 1882, and his wife November
27, 1881. Conrad Bloom, father of Mrs. Botcher, was born in Germany in 1820, and
married Catharine Rowe, by whom he had six children : Kate, George, Frederick,
Elizabeth, Mary and William. He died in 1892, his widow surviving.
Burnett, the late Daniel, was born in Arcadia January 26, 1837, was educated in the
public schools and Sodus Academy, and was always a farmer. November 15, 1863, he
married Catherine M. Whitbeck of Sodus, by whom he had two children : W. Herbert,
who is the farmer for his mother, and Inez E., who married William H. Ryder. Mr.
Burnett died March 21, 1877, mourned by a bereaved wife and family. He was a mem-
ber of the M. E. Church of Fairville. Mrs. Burnett's father, Andrew T. Whitbeck, was
born in Kinderhook, Columbia county, in 1808. He was educated in the schools of his
day, was a mechanic and farmer by occupation. He married Camelia Miller, of his
native place, by whom he had four children : Norman, John H., J. Franklin and Cath-
erine M., as above. They came to this county in 1834. Mr. Whitbeck was a leading
member of the M. E. Church, one of its stewards, and an efficient class leader. He
died February 20, 1858, and his wife August 5, 1876.
Barclay, William, the pioneer of the family in Wayne county, was of English descent.
He came from Staten Island prior to 1811 and settled in the town of Lyons. He
served for a time in the war of 1812. He married Martha Purlee, and they had sixteen
children. Abraham Barclay of Lyons and Henry of Sodus are the only ones living in
Wayne county. Barton Barclay, a brother of Abraham and Henry, settled in Lyons,
where he died, and another brother, Peter, settled in Sodus where he died. Henry
Barclay was born in Lyons in 1811. He learned the carpenters' trade, and followed
that business during his early life. He resided there until 1863, when he purchased a
farm in the southwest part of the town of Sodus, where he has since been engaged in
farming. He married Abbie Rossiter, and they had five children : Wallace, Melbern,
Agnes, Mary J. and Lucy. Wallace settled in Sodus and is a farmer. He married
Elizabeth Wright; Melbern settled in Sodus and is also a farmer. He married Martha
Milham; Agnes married Horace Welch and settled in Arcadia; Mary J. married Martin
Milham and settled in Marion; Lucy married Erastus Brownell and settled in Arcadia.
Barless, R. C, M.D., was born in Hoosac, N. Y., October 19, 1833, son of Andrew
and Jeanette Barless, he a native of Milton, Saratoga county, and she of Arlington, Vt.,
FAMILY SKETCHES. 295
who came to Rose in 1865, where he died January G, 1873, and his wife July 4, 1876-
He was a tailor by trade. Subject was reared in Arlington, Vt., and educated in that
place, White Creek and Sandy Creek, and began the study of medicine with Dr. A. L.
Thompson of Sandy Creek, Dr. Miller of Alexander, Genesee county, and also with G-.
D. Wheaton of Rose ; and took a course of lectures at Jefferson Medical College at
Philadelphia Pa. He enlisted August 22, 1862, in Company H, 9th N. Y. Heavy Artil-
lery as a member of the band, but acted as a physician. He was at Cold Harbor, Mon-
ocacy and Winchester. He returned to Rose, where he has since practiced his profes-
sion. He has been town clerk and justice of the peace, and is a member of the G. A.
R., Sherman Post, No. 401. He married July 6, 1855, Helen J. Thompson, a native
of Sandy Creek, and daughter of A. L. and Caroline L. Thompson, he a native of Scho-
harie county, and she of Hoosac, N. Y. He died in Troy in August, 1891, and his wife
February 17, 1853. Subject and wife have these children : Carrie, wife of M. Moulton
of Lockport, N. Y.; A. James, who died in infancy ; Charles J. and Clayton L. (twins),
born July 17, 1867, educated in Rose Union Schools, editors of Farmers' Counsel and
Times. Clayton J. married Jennie, daughter of Eugene Hickok, and they have one
daughter, Musett Adele. Mrs. Barless, wife of Clayton, died January 8, 1889. Clay-
ton married Lena Markham, by whom he has two children, Carrie M. and Gladys ;
Arthur T. who married Rose B. Colburn, and has one child, Mildre L., they live in
Sandy Creek; Elmer R., a piano tuner, at home. Subject has been a practicing pen-
sion attorney fourteen years.
Belden, Samuel P., was born in Sodus in 1831, and is a son of Riley Belden. He
came from Vermont about 1828 and for a year or two made his home in Sodus, prac-
ticing his profession of dentistry in Syracuse. He then removed to Michigan and a few
months later returned to Sodus, where he spent the remainder of his life practicing his
profession. He was a member of the Sodus M. E. Church and was one of the charter
members of Sodus Lodge F. & A. M. No. 392. He marrie I twice, first Louise Pullman
and they had one son, Samuel P.. and second Laura Carter, by whom he had two sons,
Riley B" and Francis W. Mr. Belden died in 1869. Riley B. Belden settled in Sodus
where he died. He was for several years engaged in teaching and afterward in the
fruit and produce business. Francis W. settled in Penn Y^an. Samuel P. Belden set-
tled in Sodus and is engaged in farming and fruit growing. He is a member of the
Sodus Lodge F. & A. M. He married Elizabeth A. Wares and their children are, Jen-
nie L. (Mrs. Charles W. Pease, of Williamson), and Mary D.
Bartleson, Peter, was born in Holland in 1840, came to America in 1868, and settled
in Sodus village. In 1884 he purchased a farm at Sodus Centre, where he has since
lived. He is a member of Sodus Grange and Sodus Centre Presbyterian Church. He
married in 1869 Allie Mayhen, and their children are, Cornelius, Mary, Maggie, Nellie,
John, Peter, Kittie, Carrie, James, and Frank. Maggie married Frank Robinson; John
married Lizzie Terncisse.
Butts, Porter B., was born in Pompey, Onondaga county, February 25, 1838, a son
of Lyman Butts, whose father was Jabez, of Scotch and English ancestry. Lyman
came to Wayne county in 1838, residing in Savannah several years, then removing to
Cortland county, where he lived till 1856, when he bought a farm in the town of Sodus
near Joy and spent the rest of his life. He was a prominent man in the town, a strong
anti- slavery advocate, and active in political affairs. He married Sarah, daughter of
Pliny Porter, of Onondaga county, and their children were : Susan, who married Gen.
A. J. Warner, and settled in Mariette, 0. ; Helen M. who married Selden Granger, and
settled in Cleveland, 0. ; Henry H., who enlisted in the army, and died in the service ;
George C, who settled in Mariette, 0.; Frank L., who settled on the homestead; and
Porter P. The latter from 1857 to 1862 was engaged as a teacher in Pennsylvania, but
in the latter year settled in Sodus, where he bought a farm south of the village, where
296 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY
he resides. He is a member of Sodus Grange, and of the Presbyterian Church. Mr.
Butts married Anna, daughter of Jacob Andrews, of Sodus, and their children are :
Watson A., who settled at Fulton ; Henry P., and Raymond K.
Brower, Aldice W., was born near Sodus Centre December 23, 1844, and is a son of
Myron, whose father, Peter Brower, was a native of New Jersey, his ancestors having
come from Holland. He settled at Phelps, N. Y., ai aq early day and about 1825, and
purchased a farm about a mile south of Sodus Centre where he engaged in farming.
He served in the War of 1812. He was one of the leading members of the Sodus Cen-
tral Baptist Church, of which he was deacon. He married Betsey Van Dusen at Phelps;
and their children were, Cynthia, who married John Van Duzer and settled in Sodus ;
John was a miller and settled in Michigan, but later returned to Sodus where he died,
Aaron settled in Sodus ; Jane married Thomas Hopkins, of Sodus. Myron Brower settled
in'Sodus and was a farmer. He married Mary Taylor, and they had these children, Aldice
W.. Mary E., who married Walter Thornton of Sodus, and Bell, who married Charles
Steel. Aldice W. was engaged in farming until 1872, when he became agent of the
railroad at Sodus Centre, which position he still holds. In 1881 he built a warehouse
there, and has since engaged in produce business. He has been justice of the peace
four years, and for several years has been notary public. In February, 1873, he was
appointed postmaster at Sodus Centre and held that office till July, 1893. He is a
member of Sodus Lodge No. 392 F. & A. M., Wayne Chapter and Zenobia Com-
mandary, No. 41 of Palmyra. In December of 1863 he enlisted in the 9th N. Y.
Heavy Artillery and served until the close of the war. He is a charter member of
Dwight Post G-. A. R. of Sodus. He married in 1869 Urania Dennis, of Sodus.
Boyce, Isaac, was born in Rose Junly 27, 1837, son of Stephen and Mary A.
Boyce, he a native of Madison county and she of Wayne county. The paternal
grandfather of subject was Robert Boyce, a native of Jefferson county and one of the
early settlers of Wayne county, where he died. The maternal grandfather, Nathan
Jeffers, was one of the first settlers of Rose, where he died. The father of subject
came to Rose when he was sixteen years of age and here resided until 1859, when he
went to Michigan where he now lives. Mrs. Boyce died in September, 1891. Subject
was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools. He has always been
a farmer, has 128 acres, and follows general farming. Mr. Boyce married in 1871
Laney, daughter of Peter Ream, of Rose, and they have two sons, Charles and John
both of home.
Brant Family, The. — The first of this family to settle in Wayne county was Peter,
who came from Columbia county in an early day and settled near Sodus Ridge, later
buying land just west of Sodus Center. He served in the War of 1812, was a prosper-
ous farmer, and took an active interest in local affairs. He married Jane La Farge, and
their children were: John, Margaret, Egbert, and Mary. Margaret married John Meirs,
of Sodus; Mary married Randall Aiken, of Sodus ; Egbert settled in Sodus, and was a
farmer. Later he removed to Lyons, where he died. John Brant settled on a farm
west of Sodus, where he spent his life. He married Esther Underdonk, and their chil-
dren were ; Flora, deceased, who married C. T. Bennett ; Jennie, Myron, Frank, John
and Louise (Mrs. Riley Marchant, of Lyons). Myron is in the hotel business at Rose
Valley ; Frank and John reside on the old homestead and are farmers. Andrus Under-
donk was among the earliest settlers of Sodus, whence he came from Rockland county,
prior to 1812. He was a prosperous farmer and an upright citizen. He married Maria
Smith, and had these children: Abraham, John, Betsey, Esther, Maria and Sarah.
Blackmar, Ransom and Esbon, came to Newark in the fall of 1826. The former died
December 31, 1841, and Esbon November 19, 1857. A. T. came in 1833 and Orrin in
the spring of 1835. Their father, Abel, died March 18. 1843, and their mother February
14, 1861. The- family ancestry is from England. Sir Henry Blackmar came here and
FAMILY SKETCHES. 297
bought about one-third of the State of Rhode Island and part of his descendants after-
ward settled in Connecticut, from which place they removed to Greene county. When
Ransom and Bsbon came to Newark they engaged in general merchandise buying grain,
boat-building, and shipping grain on the canal. Their first boat was named the R. E.
Blackmar; the county was settled by eastern people, and when they visited relatives in
the East it was customary to go in neighborhood parties, and go with some favorite
captain of the boat which they selected and have a good social time, as the forward
part of the canal boats were finished in cabins for passengers, the back of the boat for
cooking and the accommodation of the crew, and the center for freight. The capacity for
grain was about 600 bushels and Albany was the chief market in the Ea*t. Colonel
Bartle was then doing business in Newark (formerly called Miller's Basin) associated
with Mr. Norton, of Phelps, under the firm name of Bartle, Norton & Co., who had ex-
tensive mills and shipped their flour at Newark. Most of the farmers who first settled
in Arcadia had little means, and usually came with a young wife and children to seek
their fortune in what was then known as the far west. They took up land from the
land office in Geneva, making a small payment and trusting to their industry for a future
home. The merchants and grain buyers had their nearest banking accom'modat'ons at
the Geneva Bank, at Geneva, and the merchants were the father bankers for the
farmers, making them loans to pay their interest and payments at the land office, and
selling them dry goods and groceries on one year's time until they could plant and har-
vest crops. The most of the land on which Newark is located is shown by title deeds
to have at one time belonged to some member of the Blackmar family, and to Esbon and
Horace Blackmar, a cousin and partner in business, is due the surveying, mapping and lay-
ing out of many of the streets of our village. Esbon Blackmar, was several times supervisor
of the town and twice represented the district in the State Legislature, and one time as
member of Congress ; and we will add, one of the town's honest, honored, efficient and
useful citizens. Orrin and i dwin are still doing business in Newark. The enterprise,
sterling integrity, and Christian sentiments of the first business men in Newark, and the
farmers first settling Arcadia are clearly represented in their descendants.
Barnes, John W., M. D., was born in Clayville, Oneida county, was educated in the
public schools, in Saquoit Academy, also in West Winfield Academy. He studied
medicine and surgery seven years in the Homeopathic Medical College of Chicago,
graduated in 1887, also the Rush Medical College of Chicago, from which he graduated
in 1888. He was also in Cook County Hospital in that city about two years. He is
justice of the peace and is one of the coroners of the county. Dr. Barnes has an ex-
cellent practice in this region, and is called in council with the best physicians in the
county. He began to piactice medicine in Port Byron, and came to Fairville in 1890. He
married Maude Courtwright, of Port Byron, and they have one daughter, Ethel B. Dr.
Barnes' father, John T., was born in Nottingham, England, in 1830, and came to the
United States with his aunt when ten years of age. He was educated in the district
schools, and is a farmer and hop grower by occupation. He is also a dealer and
speculator in hops. He married Serepta Waldro.i, of Oneida county, by whom he had
six children : Cora B., and Nellie M., deceased ; Francis G., John W., as above; William
E., and Frederick R. They are now residing at their home in Oneida county.
Blossom, William H., was born in Hopewell, Ontario county, November 24, 1845
He was educated in the common schools and was a clerk in his father's store at Port.
Gibson in the early years of his life. December 26, 1875, he married Annie Hook, of
Mumford, Monroe county, by whom he had two daughters, Eliza F., and Nellie M.,
both students at the Union School and academy. His father was born in Amsterdam,
Montgomery county, in 1806, and received a collegiate education. In early life he was
a farmer, and afterwards a merchant. He married twice, first, Magdalena Post, of
Seneca county, who died, and he married second, Polly Benham, of Hopewell. They
had six children: Joseph, Magdalena, Delana, Eli, William H., and Samuel. Mr.
298 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
Blossom's father died October 18, 1893, and his mother resides with him on Main street.
His grandfather, Joseph Blossom, was a soldier in the French and Indian war, and
brought home a scalp of his own taking. Mr. Blossom's place of business is the store
on Palmyra street, where he keeps a first class restaurant. He came to reside here in
Bennett, Clark T., was born in Niagara county in 1856. His father was Orrin S., a
son of Thomas Bennett, who came from Vermont in an early day and settled in Barre,
Orleans county. In 1873 Orrin S. removed to Wayne county and settled in Sod us.
He was a carpenter by trade, which he followed for some time, and later engaged in
farming. He married Salome Baldwin, by whom he had two sons, Claik T. and
Orlando. Orrin S. died in 1893. Orlando Bennett settled in Sodus Point. On arriving
at manhood our subject was engaged in fanning for several years, but since 1882 has
had charge of the mercantile business of E. B. Mathes at Sodus Centre. In 1880 he
married Florence, daughter of John Brant. She died in 1887, leaving two children,
Ross and Lulu. In 1888 Mr. Bennett married Helen Proseus.
Brewer, Fred J., was born in Williamson, this county, August 2, 1857, and was edu-
cated in the district schools, working summers and attending school winters, thus earn-
ing money to defray his expenses at the academy at Sodus, which he attended winters.
He learned the blacksmith's trade with his father, and shod his first horse when four-
teen years of age. He worked in partnership with his father two years, then December
14, 1883, he came to Newark and began business on his own account in 1884, in company
with his brother Gecrge O, in the Robinson stone shop on Union street, under the firm
name of Brewer Brothers, which continued till the death of his brother, October 10,
1892. In 1887 they purchased the said location, and in 1893 he erected the Brewer
Block in the same location. June 18, 187! i, he married Ella A. Craggs, of his native
town, and they have had four children, two sons and two daughters: Florence E.,
Jessie M., James O, and Glen A. Mr. Brewer's father, Aaron, was born in the town
of Williamson, January 4, 1832, was a blacksmith by trade, and married Sarah Cole,
by whom he had two sons, Fred J., and George C. The ancestry of the family is
Dutch and English.
Burleigh, Emor E., was born on the homestead, east of Newark, June 24, 1847. His
education was acquired in the Union School and Academy and in Eastman's Commer-
cial College at Poughkeepsie. His occupation has been salesman and bookkeeping, and
is now confidential clerk and bookkeeper for Blaekmar & Allertch, produce dealers.
He has been assessor ten years, and has been re-elected for three years, and has been
president of the village one term. February 16, 1881, he married Clara L. Carr,
formerly of Oswego county, and they have one daughter, Fiances C. His father,
George F., was born in Columbia county September 25, 1822, and came here with his
parents when three years of age. He was educated in the schools of his day, and has
always followed farming. November 9, 1844, he married Augusta F. Miller, formerly
of Cayuga county, and they had two sons : Emor E, as above, and William H, who
married Eva Ridley, by whom he has one son Ray R. The grandfather, Abner, was
born in Columbia county in 1790. About 1812 he married Mary Hauser, of that
county, by whom he had five children. The family came to this town in 1825. The
first known of the Burleighs in this country was three brothers who came from
England, one of whom fought for the Americans in the Revolutionary war. Mrs.
Burleigh's father, Caleb L. Carr, was born in Columbia county and came to Williamson
when a boy. He married Frances C. Baker, of Sodus, and had three children. He
died in 1868 and his wife survives, residing here. Both sides of this familv fought in
the war of 1812.
Amerman, Albert, was born June 28, 1830, studied six years in the New York City
University, and graduating from the grammar department, has been an accountant all
FAMILY SKETCHES. 299
his life, until his retirement some years ago. In 1857 he married Annie Hunt, of his
native city, and they had two sons: Charles E., a member of the Brooklyn Trust Com-
pany, and John J., who is in the auditing department of the Grand Central Station in
that city. Mrs. Amerman died in 18(15, and our subject married, second, June 18, 1869,
Elethia E. Culver, of Arcadia, and they had one daughter, Alethia E., who died aged
four years. Caleb, father of Albert, was born in New York city in 1800, where he was
a clerk in the Merchant's Exchange Bank for sixty years. He married Susan Brower,
of Westchester county, and they had seven children: Susan, Albert, Mary, Hannah,
Frances, Charlotte, and Jacob. Mr, Amerman died in 1890 and his wife in 1891. The
father of the latter was W. Norman Culver, born in this county December 20, 1814,
who married Elizabeth Brown in 1838, and had one daughter, Elethia E., as above
noted. Mr. Culver died in 1872, and his wife in 1889.
Allerton, Byron, was born in the town of Amenia, Dutchess county, September 22,
1822. He was educated in the public schools. His early life was spent on his father's
farm. The family came to the town of Benton, on the lake, Yates county, except
Byron, who had already begun as a boy the drover's trade from Dutchess county to
New York. In 1844 he came to Newark and became clerk for his brother Orville H.
in his general store two yea-s. He then began to trade in sheep, driving them to
Dutchess county, making money in the transaction. In the fall he shipped sheep to
New York in company with his uncle, a Mr. Hurd. He loaded the first car of sheep on
the Auburn branch of the N. Y. C. & H. R. R. R. About this time he became blind,
which continued about seven years. After this he became merchant with his brother
for seven years, when the co-partnership was dissolved by mutual consent. He then
went to Pittsburgh, Pa., where he conducted a hotel at the stock yards called the
Eastern Exchange, which continued a year. He then returned to Newark and bought
the heirs' interests in the homestead, which he owns at the present time. In 1867 he
married Helen Sherman, of Dover, Dutchess county, and they have two children :
Samuel W. and Richard H. Samuel W. is a resident of Jersey city and is a dealer in
sheep; Richard H. is a student in the academy. Mrs. Allerton died June 10, 1892,
mourned by a bereaved husband and children. Two years after his marriage he went
to Buffalo and was made superintendent of the Erie Stock Yards for seven years, in fact
he has been a drover the greatest part of his life.
Axtell, Wells H., was born in Michigan, October 10, 183S. He was educated in the
district schools of that State, was a farmer and lumberman, and at the time of his en-
listment was foreman of the stables of the copper mines. Augusts, 1861, he enlisted
in Company F, 7th Mich. Inf. Yols., was honorably discharged June 11, 1863, and came
to Steuben county on account of sickness which he contracted while in the army, and
in May, 1864, came to this town, where he has since resided. February 23, 1864, he
married Mary C. Hill, of Schuyler county, and they had one son, Bert R., born Novem-
ber 1, 1869, who married Louisa Webster, of Hammondsport, Steuben county. They
reside in Monroe county. Mrs. Axtell died March 4, 1890. She was a charter member
of the Woman's Relief Corps, and held the office of junior vice. Mr. Axtell's father,