John H., was born on the Atlantic Ocean. The family located in Steuben county. He
married Margaret Morris, of that county, and they moved to Michigan, and had four-
teen children. He died in 1858, and his wife in 1880. Mr. Axtell's grandfather,
Henry, and five brothers were soldiers in the war of 1812, and the French and Indian
war seven years. Mr. Axtell is a member of Yosburg Post No. 99, G. A. R., Dep't of
N. Y., and of Newark Lodge No. 116, A. 0. IT. W.
Andrews. Asa F., was born in Fabius, Onondaga county, in 1849. His father,
Orcemus, was a son of Ebenezer Andrews, who was a native of Yermont, and one of
the early settlers of Onondaga county. Asa F. settled in Wayne county in 1882 and
engaged in the drygoods and grocery trade at Joy, town of Sodus, which he has con-
tinned until the present time. He was appointed postmaster at Joy under President
300 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
Harrison's administration, which office he has held five years. Mr. Andrews is a mem-
ber of Sodus Lodge No. 392, F. & A. M. His first wife was Alnora Steele, of Chen-
ango county, and after her death he married in 1891 Margaret Sauer, daughter of
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
Martin Sauer, of Sodus.
Allerton, Henry R. — The late Samuel W. Allerton was born in the town of Amenia,
Dutchess county, December 8, 1785. His education was received in the schools of that
day, also in a select school under the tuition of the Rev. Dr. Barnett. a Presbyterian
minister of his native place. His father and grandfather were professional men, phy-
sicians, but he chose the occupation of farming. He married Hannah Hurd, of his native
place, and they had nine children : Cornelia, Ammerelis, Henry R., Orville H, Amanda
H , Byron, Rebecca A., Lois J., and Samuel W. He came to the town of Benton,
Yates county, in 1842. In 1849 the family moved to Wayne county, and continued
farming fifteen years. He lived in Newark until he died in August, 1885. only four
months short of a hundred years. Cornelia married Walter Sherman, of Dutchess
county ; Ammerelis married Shadrack Sherman, of that county ; Henry R., retired
farmer, residing in the village, his sister, Mrs. Taber. in charge of his household; Orville
H., mentioned elsewhere; Amanda H. married William Taber ; Byron married Helen
Sherman, of Dover, Dutchess county; Rebec< a H. and Lois J. reside with their brother
Henry R., all of them of independent means. Samuel L. married twice, first, Pamilla
Thompson, and second, Agnes Thompson, and is a resident of Chicago. The grand-
father, Reuben, was a surgeon in the Revolutionary war.
Holdridge, A. J., after a life of more than ordinary interest and adventure in foreign
lands, returned in 18G5 to his old home, for the next ten years was on shore and at sea,
and for sixteen years has been express and freight agent at Savannah. He was born
in Galen September 16, 1838, a son of Ambrose and Charity Holdridge. His educa-
tional opportunities were limited, and at the age of fifteen he ran away from home and
shipped from Greenport, L I., an board the whaler, Italy, in 1854. Off the Aleutian
Isles in 1866 she was dismasted in a heavy storm, and after the loss of eleven men
finally harbored in Honolulu, Sandwich Islands, and the cargo of 2,800 barrels of oil
and 32.500 pounds of whalebone was saved intact, then visited a number of the South
Sea Islands among the cannibals. He next shipped in the Sheffield for another
whaling cruise, which lasted eight months, with a net result of 2,200 barrels of oil and
19.000 pounds of whalebone. Next entering the merchant service, he visited all the
principal ports of South America, rapidly passing, by various promotions, from a com-
mon sailor to first mate, which position he held on board the Monterey when but
twentv-one years of age. During the war between Peru and Ecuador he was a
blockade runner, which was on one occasion chased all day by a Peruvian man-of-war,
without result. At Panama, when in the passenger steamer service, he had the dreaded
Chagres fever, and after his recovery he again entered the merchant service, visiting
London and other points in the Old World. In 1863, while on the U. S. N. ship
Aphrodite he suffered shipwreck off Cape Lookout, when the ship and twenty-six men
were lost, but Mr Holdridge escaped uninjured. After the war he spent several
seasons on the lakes, chiefly m sailing vessels, and subject to the usual vicissitudes of a
sailor's life, sometimes an officer and sometimes before the mast. In 1889 he married
Fannie Taylor, of Clyde. Our subject has been president of the village, trustee,
John Vandenberg was born in Coxsackie, N.Y., July 31, 1827, and died in Clyde May
14, 1894. He attended the academy in his native place and studied law, and after
admission to the bar removed to Cleveland, N. Y,, where he soon became prominent,
In 1855 he located in Cb/de and was in Hctive and successful practice nearly forty years.
In the fall of 1865 he was elected to the Legislature by the Republicans, and served a
second term by re-election. In 1876 he formed a partnership with Charles T. Saxton,
which continued to his death. In 1879 he was elected district attorney of Wayne
FAMILY SKETCHES. 301
county by a very large majority, and filled the office to the entire satisfaction of his
fellow citizens. He was a prominent member of the Bar Association and a Mason of
high standing. Mr. Vandenberg married, in 1849, Rebecca Landgraff, of Cleveland.
Five children were born to them.
Burgess, Rev. A. P., D.D., was born in Herkimer county in 1845, prepared for Ham-
ilton College, at West Winfield Academy, and received his theological training in New
England. He received his degree of Doctor of Divinity from Monroe College in 18S6.
He was a pastor in Mexico, Oswego county, eight years. He was seven years in
Dennis and Duxbury, Mass., and has been pastor of the First Presbyterian church in
Newark, N. Y., for twenty-one years. In April, 1894, his church celebrated the
twentieth anniversary of his pastorate by giving him a reception, nearly a thousand
persons being present. On this occasion he was the recipient of a valuable gold watch,
and Mrs. Burgess of a costly supply of table china. Mr. Burgess has been largely iden-
tified with the interests of his town and county. Mr. Burgess has added to his clerical
duties a large service on the platform, in the cause of temperance, and he edited the
Temperance Press two years while in Boston, Mass. For three years he edited the
Watchword in Ilion, N.Y. His sons, W. C. and F. D. Burgess, are editors and pub-
lishers of the Arcadian Weekly Gazette of Newark.
Richards, Sidney S., was born in the town of Hamburg, Lewis county, N. Y., May 8
1839. He was educated in the public schools, was a farmer by occupation. When he
attained the age of twenty-one he moved to the town of Ellisburg, locating in the vil-
lage of Bellville, and worked at the art of photography. In 1862 he enlisted in Com-
pany E, 10th Artillery, N. Y. S. Volunteers, was honorably discharged at the close of
the war, June 23, 1865. He first located in Carthage, Jefferson county, N. Y., follow-
ing his chosen business. July 3, 1866, he married Louisa Sanders, of Carthage, locat-
ing here July 16, 1880, purchasing the gallery of A. F. Brooks and his line of business.
Two children, both daughters, namely : Mary A. and Alice E, she married L. C. San-
ford of Newark. Mr. Richards' father, David, was born in Massachusetts December
21, 1801, and married Eliza D. Stoddard, of Lewis county, N. Y.; they had three chil-
dren, two sons and a daughter : Edward, jr., Sidney S., as above, and Adelia C. He
died October 19, 1882. Mr. Richards is a member of Vosburg Post, No. 99, G. A. R.,
Department cf New York, has held the positions of commander, senior vice-com-
mander and quartermaster. His daughter, Mary, was educated at Holyoke College,
and is assistant preceptress in the Union School and Academy. Himself and family
are members of the Baptist Church of Newark.
Wilson, J., was born in St. Johnsville, Montgomery county, N. Y., May 12, 1831.
He graduated at Union College in 1851, and was admitted to the practice of law in
1852 ; raised a company of one hundred and seven men at his own expense and served
as captain, part of 1861 and 1862 ; for twenty years was principal of some of the lead-
ing academies of the State ; since January, 1869, has been editor of the Newark
Courier, one of the most popular county weeklies in the State. October 23, 1874, he
was nominated unanimously as the Democratic candidate for Congress, for the counties
of Wayne, Cayuga and Seneca; and in a district usually 6,000 to 7,000 Republican, he
came within a few hundreds of being elected, with General MacDougall as his opponent,
and without paying any attention to the canvass. In 1875 he was honored with the
degree of Ph. D., from Union College; in 1880, was on the Democratic electoral ticket,
as the representative of the Twenty-sixth Congressional District. He visited Europe in
1868 and 1888. Mr. Wilson is the author of the following works: 'Errors of Gram-
mar," 1858; "Phrasis: A Treatise on the History and Structure of the Different Lan-
guages of the World," 1864; "A Practical Grammar of the English Language," 1870 ;
"Truths of Religion and the Bible, as seen by the Light of the Nineteenth Centurv,"
1874 ; 'Practical Life and the Study of Man," 1882; 'Radical Wrongs," 1892. These
works have been commended by the best men in the land, and have given him a high
302 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
standing among literary men and editors. He is proprietor, publisher and editor of the
Newark Courier of Newark, N. Y.
Kelley, Charles E , was born on the homestead southeast of Newark January 28,
1858, was educated in the common schools and at the Union School and Academy at
Newark. He is a farmer and dealer in seed potatoes, and owns the old E. B. Kelley
farm. February 21, 1883, he married Ada A. Burnette of Phelps, and they have two
children: Bertha A. and Burnette F. Mrs. C. E. Kelley's father, Hiram Burnette, was
born in Phelp-, Ontario county, April 14, 1826, was educated in the common school and
followed farming. He married Eliza Parsons of Columbia county, and they had five
children : Ada A., as above ; Milton P., Jennie E., Ulysses G-. and Frank II. He had
two children by a first marriage, Andrew J. and Mary L. Mr. Burnette died in 1893,
and his widow survives at the old home in Phelps.
Welcher, Charles A., was bom in Arcadia October 3, 1856, and was educated in the
district, and the Union School and Academy of Newark. His early life was spent on
his father's farm, and he is now one of Newark's enterprising grocery merchants. He
married Jennie E. Garlock, of Newark, and they have five children : Fred G\, Frank C ,
L. Fern, Ernest L. V., and J. Orville. Mr. Welcher' s father, J. Philester, was born on
the homestead two and one-half miles north of the village of Newark, March 13, 1821.
September 22, 1845, he married Abigail Lee, of Arcadia, by whom he had seven children :
Alice, Amanda, Rev. Manfred P., Yelora E., Charles A , as above, Lucy V., and Byron
R , who died aged fifteen years. Subject's grandfather, John, was born in Morristown,
N J., in 1790 and came to Phelps, Ontario county, when in his ninth year, and went
to live with Oliver Clark, of East Palmyra, until he was twenty-one years old. He then
took up the land for the homestead from the primeval forest. He married twice, first
Mehetabel Culver, and second Electa Jagger, of Batavia, formerly of Long Island.
Hanby, James E.,-was born in Sodus October 31, 1853, and is a son of Charles Hanby,
born September 19, 1809, who came from London, England, in 1832 and settled in the
northwestern part of the town of Sodus, purchasing a tract of land. He married twice,
first (in England) Harriet Jackson and their children were: Ann, Charles J., and Harriet
P. His second wife was Catherine Gates, and their children were: Ann, Charles,
Joseph G., Mary L., Catherine E., Lewis B., James E., Hannah and Esther J. He died
June 22, 1887. James E. Hanby, settled in Sodus on the old homestead, and is one of
the enterprising and prosperous farmers of the town. He is also a dealer in agricultural
implements, and is a member of Sodus Lodge No. 392, F. & A. M., and Sodus Grange.
He married in 1893 Carrie 0., daughter of Mrs. Olivia Van Slyck, of Sodus.
Ridley, William, was bor-n in Phelps, Ontario county, January 30, 1817. He was
educated in the district schools and has always followed farming. January 14, 1839, he
married Elizabeth M. Tittsworth of his native town, and they have had eleven children :
James T., William, Esther A., Morrison, Aaron, George D, Mary E., Clara and an
infant daughter not named (twins) ; Alice and Adelbert. Mr. Ridley's father, Mathew,
was born in England in 1781 and came to the United States when eighteen years old,
locating in the town of Phelps. He married Delilah Sober, of the town of Arcadia,
Wayne county, by whom he had these children: James, dead; William, as above;
Nelson, dead; Lydia; Hiram, dead, and Delira, Mrs. Ridley's father, Richard Titts-
worth, was born in New Jersey about 1785 and married Esther De Witt, of his native
place. They had four children : Jane, James, Ann Jennette and Elizabeth M. He died
in 1830 and his wife in 1848. They came to this locality about 1810. Mr. Tittsworth
was a soldier in the War of 1812 at Sodus Point. Morrison is a professional caterer;
James T. married Phoebe Westfall ; Willard married Pamelia Eggleston ; Aaron married
Cornelia Morris ; Mary E, married Oliver Eggleston ; Alice married Charles Cornwell,
and Delbert married Hattie Morris.
Drake, Harry R., was born in Mast Newark, N. Y., April 20, 1851, was educated in
FAMILY SKETCHES. 303
the Union School and Academy, and taught school for several years, lie has also been
engaged in the grocery trade, and is now a manufacturer of eyelet-end wood-pulp but-
ter dishes, paper boxes, egg case fillers, etc. In 1870 he married Eliza Mumford, and
had one daughter, Frances F., now Mrs. L. G. Baldwin of Newark. Mrs. Drake died
in 1874, and he married in 1880 Mary A. Towlerton, of Wolcott. They have two sons,
Albert R. and Charles H. Mr. Drake's father, Leroy, was born in the town of Lyons,
July 20, 1829, and during his later years sold canal supplies at the upper lock. lie
married Eliza D. Lamoreaux of East Newark, and they had two sons, Harry R. and
Nelson D. Mr. Drake died in 1864, and his widow married, second, Frank H Spoor,
who is now an engineer, and was a soldier in the late war, having onlisted in 1861 in
the Sturgis Rifles, in Chicago, 111. He was honorably discharged in 1865, at the close
of the war, after having been twice wounded. Mrs. Spoor's sister, Sally Lamoreux,
married Reuben Berry, who was born in Columbia county, and came here with his par-
ents when two years old. In early life he was a farmer, and earned a competency,
Both he and wife are living, and devote their time to many kind deeds, smoothing the
way for those less fortunately situated than they are, Aunt Sally's name being a house-
hold word in town. The Lamoreaux family are of French extraction, having de-
scended from the Huguenots whe came here in the Seventeenth Century.
Hankenson, Edward L., was born in Newark, March 18, 1845. His education was
obtained in' the Union School and Academy, and he then became a clerk in his father's
store. In the year 1872 his father took him into the concern as partner, under the firm
name of James W. Hankenson & Son, doing a retail business in clothing, hats, caps and
men's furnishing goods. July 12, 1892, he married EllaV. Sutphen, daughter of Dr. R.
M. Sutphen of Newark, N. J. Mr. Hankenson's father, James VV., was born in Scho-
harie county, in 1818, and came to the town of Arcadia with his parents when two
years of age, and was educated in the schools of that day and place. His early life
was spent on his father's farm until the age of sixteen, when he learned the tailor's
trade with Lathrop Bristol, of Newark, N. Y. In 1841 he began business on his own
account, which continues until the present day. April 2, 1841, he married Nancy Good-
win of this town, by whom he had one son, Edward L., as above noted. He has been
a resident of the town seventy-three years. The father of James W. was Ruel. Mr.
Hankenson was one of the originators of the I. 0. O. F. in Newark.
Bartle. the late Warren S., was born in Junius, Seneca county, July 28, 1816. He
came to Newark with his parents when eighteen years of age and learned the machin-
ist's trade, after which he did business on his own account on South street. He was a
skillful workman and inventor. October 6, 1840, he married Eliza Cambers, formerly of
Whittlesea, Cambridegshire, England. She was born October 25, 1818, and they had
three children : James P., who married Gertie Shumway of Newark, and has one son,
Warren S.; Eldora L., Avbo married James S. Horton of East Newark, by whom she
has one son, Charles B., who is a jeweler by trade; and Willie, who died in infancy.
Mrs. Bartle's father, William Cambers, was born at the old home in England March 7,
1775. He married Susan Sherrington of his native place, and they had ten children :
Four sons by the name of William died in infancy ; George, who died aged twenty-five ;
Mary A., Lucy and Eliza died in infancy ; Lucy second and Eliza second survive. They
came to the United States in 1834, and located at Albion, Orleans county, where they
remained many years and then went to Canada. When Mrs. Bartle's mother died in
1857, her father came here to reside with his daughter and died in 1859. The Bartles
trace their ancestry back to the sixth generation in the United States from Germany.
Mr. Bartle has been organist in four churches, and has taught instrumental music since
she was sixteen, and at her present age seventy-six, still retains a class of pupils. Mr.
Bartle was a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, which he joined in
1845, being one of the charter members of the Subordinate Lodge Encampment. He
passed all of the chairs in both lodges and was D. D. G. M. and D. D. G. P. He died
August 20, 1882.
304 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
West, George H., was born about two miles west of Newark, November 19, 1840,
He was educated in the common schools. He was one of a family of five children,
whose parents were Matthew W. West, who was born near Fairville, this town, June
18, 1818, and whose occupation was that of a farmer, and his wife Mary Hughes, of
this town, formerly of Vermont, whom he married Feb. 5, 1839. Matthew W. West
died March 4, 1874, mourned by a bereaved wife and family. The five children were
as follows: George H., S. Maria, Catharine, Emma J., and Lewis G. The daughters
are dead. Their grandfather, Moses West was a soldier in the War of 1812, and other
members of the family were in the late war. Lewis G. married Effie M. Lake of Mar-
bletown, by whom there were two children : Edward W. and Ethel. George H. fol-
lowed his father's occupation and November 19, 1861, he married Mary L. Lee, of
Newark formerly of Fairport, whose father, William Lee, came from England when a
small child and whose mother Mary Ann Hutchinson came from Vermont. They had
two children : K. Eudora, and Charles E. January 13. 1886 Charles married Harriet
A. Richmond, of Newark, they have three children, namely : Mary A., Mabel E., Ada
B. Mrs. George West died October 16, 1892 and Mr. West married again March 7,
1894, Lizzie S. Yeo, of Phelps, Ontario county, whose father was born in Devonshire,
England, September 28, 1814, coming to the United States when a young man, locating
at Mt. Morris, Livingston county, where he married Mary Stillson, a sister of Judge
Norton's wife by whom he had four children: Arthur E., Frank S., M. Ella and Lizzie
S. The family resided in Le Roy for a number of years, where Mrs. Yeo died April
12, 1861. Mr. Yeo married a second time, Adaline Knapp, of Newark, and they lived
in the town of Phelps, Ontario county, for twenty-eight years, where both died, Mrs,
Yeo February 5, 1892 and Mr. Yeo April 25, 1893. Mr. West is a member of the offi-
cial board of the Newark M. E. church. He and his family still reside two miles west
Hyde, Artemas W., was born at the old home in Hydesville, September 15, 1816.
He was educated in the schools of that day, and was also a farmer. He was the only
surviving son of Dr. Henry Hyde, born June 29, 1774 in Vermont, who came to this
locality as a pioneer physician and settled amid forests and small clearings and a scant
population in 1810. Artemas W. Hyde began life by putting into practice these prin-
ciples of self reliance, untiring industry promptness in all business transactions, and
care and prudence in all the details of his affairs which made him at once the successful
and reliable business man he was. Mr. Hyde was supervisor of the town in 1864-65.
It was said by the Fox sisters that Artemas W. Hyde was a firm believer in spiritualism.
The family wishes this to be emphatically denied, it being a pure fabrication on their
part. He was twice married, first, to Armeda Miles, who died in 1856. After her
death he married Louise Peirson. He has four children living, two of them E. M. and
John L.. sons of the first wife, and William H. and Armeda, now Mrs. P. R. Sleight,
children of the second wife. Mr. Hyde died January 5, 1892, and his wife in Septem-
ber of the same year. William H., the youngest son of Artemas W. Hyde, was born
July 26, 1863 at the old home in Hydesville, where he at present resides. He was
educated at the Union School, Cook Academy, and at Geneseo Normal School. He is
a farmer and capitalist by occupation. He is a man of enterprise, ability and integrity,
already well and favorably known in this and adjoining communities as a capable and
successful financier. He married February 26, 1885, Bertha Jackson, of Lyons. They
have two children, Bertha L. and William Henry, jr., who is the eighth Henry in the
direct line in the Hyde family. Mrs. Hyde's grandfather, Dr. Cyrus Jackson, was a
pioneer settler and physician of the town of Lyons, coming to that town from Milford,
Pa., through the woods on horseback some time in 1811. He purchased the farm upon
which he resided the rest of his long and useful life, and which is still in the possession
of the Jackson family. Like all old time physicians he went to see his patients on
horseback and carried his medicine case in his saddle bags. George W. Jackson, the
father of Mrs. Hyde, was the youngest son of Dr. Jackson ; a farmer by occupation and
FAMILY SKETCHES. 305
an upright, conscientious Christian gentleman, who was called to his rest while still in
the prime of his life, July 6, 1884.
Vosburgh, William, son of Jacob, came from Dutchess county about 1845 and settled
in the northwest corner of Sodus on the lake road, purchasing a farm of 250 acres, and
was an extensive farmer. He married first Henrietta Trumper and second Elizabeth
Trowbridge, and their children were: Jacob, Anna E., Margaret, Sarah C, Mary E.,
Emma, who died in infancy, Emma and Antoinette. Anna E. married Robert Watson ;
Margaret married Thomas Youmans ; Sarah C. married Wesley T. Jolly ; Mary E.
married Rowland Smith; Antoinette married Henry Toor; Jacob settled on the home-
stead and is a farmer. He taught school for several years during the winter. He mar-
ried Catherine Youmans, of Sodus, and they have five children : William, Edith A.,
Wesley, Henrietta and Geoi^e Y.
Dickson, William, was born in Hopewell, Ontario county, was educated in the com-
mon schools, and is a farmer. December 10, 1863, he enlisted in Co. F, 2d Mounted
Rifles N Y. S. Vols., was wounded before Petersburg and wounded a second time in
the explosion of the mine, losing his right arm. In March, 1867, he married Christina
Weaver, of this town, and they have two children : Etta, who married Franklin W.
Rasch, and William T., a farmer with his father. Mrs. Dickson's father, Jacob Weaver,
was born in Balltown Springs, Dutchess county in 1812, and came to Sodus with his
parents when a boy. He married Sylvina Hiscrodt of his native county, and they had
eight children: Homer, Lydia. Lewis, Christina, as above; Esther, Jacob. Mrs. Dick-
son's brother, Lewis, was a soldier in Co. F, 2d Mounted Rifles, and died in the service
at City Point. Mr. Weaver died March 16. 1890, and his wife March 3, 1884. Mr.
Dickson was honorably discharged from Mount Pleasant Hospital, Washington, D. C,
February 17, 1865. He is a member of Vosburg Post No. 99 G. A. R., Department of
New York. William T. is a member of E. K. Burnham Camp No. 14, S. 0. V., Newark.