The ancestry of the family is Scotch and German.
Van Marter, David, father of Mrs. William J. Holland, was born in Arcadia April 19,
1819, was educated in the public schools, and in early life was a cooper, later taking up
farming. October 30, 1853, he married Elizabeth J. Baldwin, of Lyons, by whom he
had two children : Mary, who died in her ninth year, and Jennie M. Mr. Van Marter
died January 4, 1887, and his wife died September 29, 1889. Jennie M. married, Sep-
tember 16, 1890, William J. Holland, of Fairville, and they have two children : Viola
M. and David Coles. The family are nicely situated on the Van Marter homestead.
Mr. Holland's father, Thomas, was born about 1836, in England, and married Mary S.
West, of Bay City, Michigan, formerly of England. Their six children were : Mary
A-, William, John, Sarah S., Ettie D. A., who died young, Henry R., and Emma J.
Both parents reside in Fairville.
Van Dusen, Richard, was born in Marion, Wayne county, August 20, 1845, was edu-
cated in the Palmyra Classical Union School and has taught school fifteen years, three
of which he taught in the Union School of Palmyra. For the past thirteen years he
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
has been conducting a fruit farm near Marbletown. August 10, 1886, he married Eliz-
abeth Rentschler, of East Newark, and they have one daughter, Mary E., who is a stu-
dent. Mr. Van Dusen's father, Hiram, was born in Berkshire county, Mass., June 27,
1798. The family moved to Columbia county, N. Y., when he was a boy, where he
was educated in the schools of his day. June 30, 1816, he married Maria Crandall, of
his native county, and they had eleven children : Maria, Hannah, William, Henry J.,
Lucinda, Catherine, John H, Margaret, Stephen, Hannah second, and Richard. Mr.
Van Dusen died in 1886, and his wife April 17, 1850. Subject's grandfather, William,
was born September 6, 1772. He married Hannah Spencer and had seven children.
Mrs. Richard Van Dusen's father, John Rentschler, was born in Germany. He married
Mary Schanz, of his native place and came to the United States, locating at East Newark.
306 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
They had seven children. Mr. Van Dusen was elected assessor in 1892 and is trustee
of the district school. He is also a member of Newark Lodge No. 83 F. & A. M., is a
member of the Knights of Honor, and a Granger.
Hoeltzel, George, was born in Alsace, France, (now Germany) December 30, 1836.
and came to the United States with his parents in 1840. They located in Lyons, Wayne
county. He was educated in the district schools and is a farmer. June 27, 1867, he
married Lena Schwab, of Arcadia, and they have three children: Albert G.. EmmaM.
and Minnie R. August 12, 1862, he enlisted in Co. C, 9th Heavy Artillery, and was
in the following engagements: Cold Harbor, Monocacy Junction, Winchester, Cedar
Creek and others, and was honorably discharged May 3, 1865. Mr. Hoeltzel's father,
Michael, was born at the old home in Alsace in 1794, and married Dorathy Rukth of his
native place. They had seven children : Dorathy, Elizabeth, Michael, Frederick, Sally,
Henry and George, of whom Michael, Dorathy, Elizabeth and Henry are deceased. Mrs.
Hoeltzel's father, George Schwab, was born in Alsace, May 14, 1814, and came to the
United States with his parents when sixteen years old, locating in this town. He mar-
ried Magdalene Studer also of this town, by whom he had five children : Elizabeth,
Philip, Lena, Barbara and George. Mrs. Schwab afterwards married Sallie Deetch also
of this town, by whom he had two children, Jacob and William, the latter is deceased.
Mr. Schwab died June 4, 1881 and his wife March 30, 1883.
Blakely, Lamott M., is a native of Wyoming County. He attended school in Wyo-
ming county, Koneoye, Richmond Mills, and finished his education at the East Bloom-
field Academy, Ontario county. His first business enterprises of note were in Iowa
and Illinois, where he became a heavy shipper of lumber from points in Iowa on the
Mississippi River to all points below St. Joseph on the Missouri River. He continued
in the lumber business until the breaking out of the war, which closed all traffic for
the time on the Missouri River. At the close of the war he went into the cotton busi-
ness at Atlanta, Ga., which he continued from 1866 to 1870 at Washington, N. C, and
other places, including Newbern and Greenville. Later he resumed the lumber business
and soon became one of the heaviest dealers in the South. These operations extended
over nearly twenty years, and pine, juniper and cypress were the principal varieties
of lumber handled. Mr. Blakely won the good will and respect of the Southern peo-
ple during his long residence in the South, and at the present time has many warm
friends in that section. He returned to Lyons a few years ago, where his people had
resided since 1848. In 1892 Mr. Blakely was an alternate delegate to the National Re-
publican Convention at Minneapolis. From the time of his return he has taken a great
interest in the advancement of Lyons and has served as a member of the Board of
Trustees; last March he was elected president of the village, and has been active in
matters tending to improve the town, especially the streets and water courses. His
administration thus far has been characterized both by public improvements and the
economical expenditure of public money.
Nolan, William H., was born in Oneida county May 20, 1857. His parents moved to
Lewis county when he was seven years of age, and he was educated in the public
schools and learned the trade of carpentry. He came to Newark in 1888, and has built
up a successful business as a contractor and builder. March 31, 1880, he married Mary
E. Laulee of Martinsburgh, Lewis county, and they have five children : Eva M , Grace,
Mary, Lula M. aud Gertrude A. Mr. Nolan and family are members of St. Michael's
Catholic Church, and are Democrats. The father of our subject, James S., came to
Qnebec in 1838, and was compelled to leave, or take up arms against the United States,
choosing the former. He came to Syracuse for a short time, where he conducted a
blacksmith business many years, and afterwards removed to Lewis county. He was
twice married, and had four children by his first marriage, James, Maiy, Margaret and
John. He married, second, Delia Eagan, and had by her four children : William H.,
FAMILY SKETCHES. 307
Michael G., a contractor in Buffalo; Frances, who lives in Cohoes ; and Edward, who
died aged thirteen. James S. died in 1885 and his wife in 1880. Mrs. Nolan's father,
Patrick Laulee, came to this country with his parents at the age of fifteen, and mar-
ried Anna Dunn, and of their eleven children eight grew to maturity.
Butts, Porter P, was born in Pompey, Onondaga county, February 25, 1838, a son of
Lyman Butts, whose father was Jabez, of Scotch and English ancestry. Lyman came
to Wayne county in 1838, residing in Savannah several years, then removing to Cort-
land county, where he lived till 1856, when he bought a farm in the town of Sodus
near Joy and spent the rest of his life. He was a prominent man in the town, a strong
anti-slavery advocate, and active in political affairs. He married Sarah, daughter of
Pliny Porter of Onondaga county, and their children were: Susan, who married Gen.
A. J. Warner, and settled in Marietta, 0.; Helen M., who married Selden Granger,
and settled in Cleveland, 0.; Henry H., who enlisted in the army and died in the serv-
ice ; George C, who settled in Marietta, O; Frank L., who settled on the homestead ;
and Porter P. (See Clark's history of Wayne county.) In 1862 he settled in Sodus,
where he bought a farm south of the village, and has since resided. He is a member
of Sodus Grange, and of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Butts married Anna, daugh-
ter of Jacob Andrews of Sodus, and their children are Watson A., who settled at Fulton ;
Henry P. and Raymond K.
Guiick, Charles L., who was born in Sodus, Wayne county, September 13, 1848, was
educated in the common schools, and has always followed farming. January 1, 1872,
he married Aurillia M. Fredenburgh of Arcadia, by whom he had four children: Olie M.,
Benjamin A., who died aged thirteen ; Kingsley S. and Seaman H. Mr. Gulick's father,
Amos, was born in Columbia county May 10, 1820, was educated in the schools of his
day, and was also a farmer. November 3, 1845, he married Mary E. Ford of Sodus,
and they have three children : Mary A., Charles L., as above, and Martha J. The par-
. ents are now residing at the old home in Sodus. Mrs. Gulick's father, Benjamin F.
Fredenburgh, was born in the town of Arcadia, June 1, 1829. He married Adelia Van
Inwagen, formerly of Tompkins county, and they had four children : Esbon K., Au-
rillia M., as above ; Milton E. and Ellsworth H., who died in infancy. Mr, Freden-
burgh died in 1891.
Weinman, Jacob, was born in Rhinefaltz, Germany, September 7, 1832, educated in
their schools, and worked at various occupations. May 13, 1859, he married Catherine
Menzner of his native place, and they have had eight children : Jacob, jr., who is a
farmer in Clifton Springs, Ontario county, and married Emma Freeh of Newark, by
whom he has three children : Carrie M., Carl F. and Ruth E ; Philip is a farmer in
Phelps, Ontario county. He married Julia Werner and has one son, John P.; Frede-
rick is a carpenter and builder in Newark, and married Nellie Freeh ; Theresa M. and
Julia A. reside at home; Elizabeth O, died in infancy; Louis also died at the age of
two years ; and Christian was killed on the West Shore Railroad near his home at the
age of fourteen. They came to the United States in 1871. Mrs. Weinman died in
1885, mourned by a bereaved husband and family. Mr. Weinman and family are mem-
bers of the German Evangelical Church of Newark, and the family have resided on
their farm twenty years.
Graham, E. P., second son Henry and Eliza (Ross) Graham, late of Rose, was born
September 7, 1848. Henry Graham, a pioneer settler of Rose, a prominent Democrat,
finding in farming and horticulture his principal occupation, died in October, 1878, aged
i seventy-six. Elmore was educated at Clyde and at Canandaigua Academy, and in 1878
acquired by purchase a farm of 200 acres in Butler, devoted chiefly to small fruits and
dairy products, and embellished with handsome buildings. In 1876 he married Nettie,
daughter of Lewis Beach of Varick, Seneca county.
308 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
Robinson, Minard, was born in Arcadia October 3, 1845, was educated in the com-
mon schools, and has always followed farming. December 27, 1872, he married M.
Rowe of Manchester, Ontario county, and they have one daughter, Harriet E. Mr.
Robinson's father, John D., was born in Phelps, Ontario county January 25, 1813, was
educated in the schools of his day, and was also a farmer. He married Christina Van
Decar who was born in Rensselaer county, and had five children ; Abram, Aaron V.,
Minard as noted, Mary and Andrew J. He died in 1877 and his wife in 1885. His
grandfather was Minard, and his great-grandfather, John Decker Robinson, was the first
settler in the town of Phelps. Mrs. Robinson's father, Freeman Rowe, was born in
Wayne county in 1S27. He married Harriet A. Oderkirk of Manchester, and they had
three children: Robert D., George F. and Alazan M. Both parents were killed at the
same time on the N. Y. C. & H. R. Railroad March 12, 1887.
Marble Brothers. — John W. was born in the town of Arcadia in Marbletown, Novem-
ber 28, 1842, was educated in the common schools, and has always followed farming.
December 25, 1874, he married Mary E. Robison, of Huntsburg, Ohio, and they have
one son, Ray W., born April 14, 1879, who is a student in the Union 8chool and
Academy at Newark. His brother, Warren F., was born at the old homestead Decem-
ber 5, 1848, was also educated in tne common schools, and is a farmer with his brother
John W. December 16, 1874, he married Josette Moss, of Huntsburg, Ohio, and they
have one son, George B., born July 2, 1879, who is also a student in the Newark Acad-
emy. Our subject's father, James, was born in Marbletown July 29, 1819, was educated
in the schools of his day, and was a farmer. He married Lorinda Dusenberry, of Phelps,
Ontario county, and their children were: John W., as noted; Elizabeth, and Warren F.
Mr. Marble died April 21, 1891, and his wife September 29, 1887. Mrs. John W.
Marble's father, Harry H. Robison, was born in 1792, the first white child born in the
town of Phelps. He served in the war of 1812 ; was well educated, and taught school
in this State, also in the South. He married twice, for his second wife Emily Durham,
by whom he had three children : James, Harry, who died in infancy, and Mary E., who
was born in Lima, Livingston county. He died in 1854, and his wife in 1858. Mrs.
Warren F. Marble's father, William C. Moss, was born in Burton, Geauga county, Ohio,
in 1808. He married Maria J. Robison, of Phelps, and they had seven children : Charles,
Elizabeth, Ford, Josette, as noted, Marvin, Almira, and Jessie M. He died in 1870, and
his wife survives him.
Miller, Frederick C, was born in Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Germany, October 10, 1843,
and came to the United States when he was twenty-one, locating in Lyons. He is a
farmer and milk dealer. March 26, 1867, he married Sophia Mierke, of Lyons, formerly
of his native place, and they have yiree children: Charles, who marrie'd Julia Feiock, of
this town ; James H., who is a farmer with his father ; and Ella L., who resides at
home. Mr. Miller's father, Christian, was born at the old home, July 2, 1805. He
married Dora Colman, of Germany, and they had seven children : Louise, Mary, Louis,
Jennie, William, Frederick C, as noted, and Charles. Mr. Miller died in 1873, and his
wife in 1862. Mrs. F. C. Miller's father, Louis Mierke, was born in Mecklenburg-
Schwerin, Germany, June 25, 1824. He married Minnie Helwie, of his native place,
and they had eight children : Sophia, Louise, John, William, Henry, Charles, Eliza, and
Lois. Mr. Mierke died January 6, 1888. The family came to the United States in 1862,
locating in Lyons.
Vorberg, Rev. Robert T., was born in Milwaukee, Wis., April 19, 1868. When a
child his father, who was a minister, received a call to preach in New York city. Mr.
Vorberg was educated in the public schools of Rochester, five years in Wagner College
in that city, and three years in the Evangelical Lutheran Theological Seminary at Mount
Airy, Philadelphia, Pa., from which he was graduated in 1892, and began to preach in
Newark, July 1, 1892, in Zion's Lutheran church. May 17, 1893, he married Miss
FAMILY SKETCHES. 309
Salome A. Ungerer, of Lyons. They have one child, a daughter, Magdalena B. Mr.
Vorberg's father, George A. G., was born in Magdeburg, Germany, August 26, 1835.
He was educated at the Magdeburg Gymnasium, studied theology at the Friedrichs-
University at Halle-Wittenberg, also at the university of Tubingen, and completed his
theological studies at the University of Erlangen in March, 1860. He then taught at a
ladies' seminary in Bremen two years. In 1863 he was sent to the United States by
the Berlin Missionary Society as a missionary, locating and preaching in many places, to
the German Lutherans of Wisconsin. In February, 1867, he married Emilv H., daughter
of the Rev. George J. Kempe, of Rochester, NY. They had three sons, Robert T.,
George M., and Gustav S. He died at New York city, April 1 1873. His widow re-
moving to Rochester with her children, where she and her sons, George M. and
Gustav S., now reside.
Pitts, Jesse G., was born in Chatham, Columbia county, June 7, 1823, and was edu-
cated mostly in Kinderhook Academy. In 1845 he came to Geneva, Ontario county,
where he engaged in saddlery and hardware business, including harnesses and trunks!
until 1852. He then came to Newark, where he embarked in the general hardware
business, in company with Eli Van Valkenburg, under the firm name of Pitts & Van
Valkenburg. They sold nut in 1854, and Mr. Pitts then went on his farm north of the
village, remaining two years. June 2, 1859, he married Helen R. Day, ^f Westfield,
Mass., and they have one adopted daughter, Louise, now wife of Calvin P. H. Vary, a
banker in this place. Mr. Pitts has resided in New York seven years, also in Brooklyn
seven years, during most of this time was in the wholesale petroleum business, returning
to Newark about 1873, where he has conducted a boot and shoe business about twenty
years, including the manufacture of moccasins under letters patent, making about six or
eight thousand dozen pairs annually, selling them to jobbers and the finding trade. Mr.
Pitts' father, John W., was born at the old home in Columbia county in 1795, and came
here at an early day. He married Polly L. Gifford, of his native" town, and had six
children. He died in 1874, and his wife in middle life. Mr. Pitts' father was a soldier
in the war of 1812.
Spoor, Eliza D., was the daughter of Thomas W. Lamoreaux (see Harry R. Drake's
personal sketch for account of both of Mrs. Spoor's marriages). Her granddaughter's
(Mrs. L. G. Baldwin) husband is L. G. Baldwin; his father, Amos Baldwin, was born
in Pennsylvania, April 5, 1844, and married Eliza. Whitbeck, by whom he had two
children, Leonard G. and Ezra P. Mr. Baldwin enlisted in Company D, 50th Penn.
Vols., and was first sergeant of his company. He was taken prisoner May 12, 1864,
and exchanged on May 5, 1865. This regiment participated in twenty-nine general
engagements. Leonard G. Baldwin is captain of E. K. Burnham Camp No. 14, Sons of
Tiffany, George W., was born at Austerlitz, Columbia county, February 18, 1844, and
came to Ontario county with his parents when he was three months of age. He was
educated in the public schools, and has always followed farming. He has also had
charge of and settled several estates. January 24, 1867, he married Theessa Coons, of
the town of Arcadia, and they have one daughter, Iva F., who is a student. Mr.
Tiffany's father, Lamont, was born at Austerlitz, Columbia county, in 1808, and married
Sophia Clark, of that county. They had ten children: Charles L., Jane, Esther M.,
George W., as noted,' Edward D., Loren R., Florence A., Sophia E., Millie E., and
Anna B. He died in 1869, and his wife May 10, 1876. Mrs. Tiffany's father, Alexander
Coons, was born at Red Hook, Dutchess county, July 4, 1812. He was educated in the
schools of his day, and always followed farming. April 10, 1848, he married Deborah
E. Ackley, of Stockport, Columbia county, formerly of Sing Sing, Westchester county.
They had two children, one who died in infancy, and Theessa, as above. The family
came to Newark in November, 1849. He died in 1887, and his widow resides with her
daughter, Mrs. Tiffany. Mr. Tiffany is a member of Newark Grange.
310 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
Williams, Fletcher, was born at Bennington, Vt., June 19, 1817. His parents were
Dr. Richard P. Williams and Lucy Fletcher. They moved to Newark, N. Y., while
their children were young, and resided there until their death. Their children were
Stephen K. Williams, of Newark, N. Y., of whom mention is made elsewhere; Lucy L.,
who married Samuel S. Morley, of Clyde, N. Y., and is now deceased; and Noel Byron,
who died while a young man. Fletcher Williams married Ann Eliza Ford, daughter of
Aaron Ford, of Columbia county. N. Y., October 18, 1840, by whom he had two
children, a son and a daughter. Their son, A. Ford Williams, is now living at Chatham
Center, N. Y., but their daughter, who married Rev. Walton W. Battershall, now of
Albany, N. Y., died at Rochester. N. Y., September 25, 1872, leaving three children.
Mrs. Fletcher Williams died at Newark, N. Y., January 29, 1851. Mr. Williams on
June 23, 1859, married Ann Eliza Grant, daughter of Eliab T. Grant, of Newark, N. Y.,
and her death on June 27, 1861, again left him a widower. No children were born of
this marriage. On June 28, 1865, he married his present wife, Sarah H. Rose, of Rose
Hill, Wayne county, N. Y., by whom he has had four children, Charles R., Fletcher, jr.,
Rose, and Arthur R, all of whom are living, except the first mentioned, who died near
Devers, Texas, March 24, 1894. Mr. Williams has been in his business life a very
prominent factor in the improvement and building up of the village of Newark. When
about eighteen years of age he began his business career as a clerk in the store of Esbon
Blackmar at Newark, where he continued for about two years. He then formed a
partnership with Abel T. Blackmar, which lasted for about two years, and after that
with Henry Meesick he opened a general store of his own at East Newark, in which he
continued about the same length of time. He then organized at Newark a State bank,
the Bank of Newark, and it was in the year 1863 reorganized into the First National
Bank of Newark, N. Y., of which Mr. Williams has ever since been president. He has
always been the active and controlling man in each of these banks, and his was one of
the few State banks that came through the crisis of 1857 without failure. His con-
servative management has added much to the prosperity of the place, and in all monetary
crises his bank has had the confidence of the public. Mr. Williams has been active in
the support and building up of the Episcopal church at Newark, and his contributions
to it have exceeded those of any other member. He has always been a member of its
vestry, and for many years a warden, and for sometime was treasurer of the Diocese of
Western New York. He has never been a politician nor held public office, though he
has had many trusts confided to his care. He has devoted himself to his business and
preferred not to be diverted from it, believing that the one occupation to which he has
devoted his life fully sufficient for his time and strength.
Cronise Family, The — Among the first settlers in Arcadia was Henry Cronise. His
father, John Cronise, came in 1802 with Colonel Rochester from Frederick, Maryland,
where they had been neighbors. In December, 1802, he purchased, and had surveyed
by John Smith, two tracts of land, one of 260 3-4 acres east of Ganargua River, or
Mud Creek, part of which is now known as the William Watters farm, south from Mud
Mills, the other tract of 396 1-2 acres, two and one-half miles north, which became the
Cronise homestead. For the 657 acres he paid $2,628, or four dollars an acre. His
deed from Sir William Pulteney was received January 12, 1803. He afterwards re-
turned to Maryland and died there September 29, 1803. After the death of John
Cronise the first of these tracts passed to his daughter Snsannah, wife of Henry Lamb-
right, and was known as the Lambright farm. Here the widow of John, Mary
Cronise nee Fey, of Scotland, died December 19, 1823, at the age of seventy, being
buried in Newark Cemetery. The second tract passed to his son, Henry Cronise, who
came from Maryland in 1807. bringing wirh him several slaves which he soon freed,
although most of them remained in his employ for many years afterward. February
14, 1813, he married Mary, daughter of Samuel Soverhill who had settled in Arcadia in
1798. About 1813 he built the frame house still standing as part of the house now upon
the place, a part being added in 1836. In this house he lived until near the time of his
FAMILY SKETCHES. 311
death in 1870. Besides his farm he had at different times operated the flouring mill at
Mud Mills, the saw mill west of his farm and another at Phelps. From these mills he
furnished in 1840 and 1841 the bed-timbers, cross ties and upper rails (on which the
strap iron track was spiked) for a section of the old Syracuse & Rochester Railroad
through Phelps. He also built the Methodist church at Newark and several bridges
across the Clyde River, and executed other building contracts. His wife, Mary S~>ver-
hill Cronise, died at the homestead June 6, 1867, and three years later he himself died
at the residence of his daughter, Mrs. Leggett, in Newark, June 16, 1870, at the age of
eighty-one. Of the family of eight children who grew up here, six are still living,
(1894), viz: Mrs. Sarah M. Demming of Oswego, Simon Cronise of Rochester, Henry
Cronise of Chili, Mrs. Susan B. Leggett and John S. Cronise of Newark, and Samuel
Cronise of Lyons. Simon Cronise, the third of the family in possession of a portion of
the homestead tract, married October 22, 1840, Catherine Maria Fredenburgh, daughter
of Martin Fredenburgh who came from Ghent, Columbia county, in 1826. Upon this
place they resided from 1854 until her death in January, 1886, when he removed to
Roehester, where he now resides. Of their children, Charles Theodore Cronise removed