in 1872 to Logansport, Indiana, where he married Charlotte Butler, afterwards remov-
ing to Pensacola, Florida, his present home, and Adelbert Cronise left the homestead in
1873 to enter the university at Rochester, afterwards taking up the practice of law in
that city where he still resides, although retaining this portion of the original Cronise
tract, being the fourth in possession in the ninety-two years.
Schaich, George, was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, November 16, 1859, where he
was educated, and learned the business of nurseryman and gardener, at what we would
call the experiment station, at Hoheinheim, Germany, from which he received a certifi-
cate of efficiency, one of the highest in the class. He came to the United States Sep-
tember 13, 1883, locating in Rochester, where he served Elwanger & Barry eight years.
January 1, 1891, he came to the State Custodial Asylum, where he occupies the position
of gardener and florist. Since he came here he has made much improvement, especially
in laudscape gardening. May 21, 1885, he married Jennie E. Hess, a native of Germany,
and they have had two children : Emily, who died aged eight months, and George W.,
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
born May 4, 1888. William, father of our subject, was born at the old home in Ger-
many in 1832 and married Catrina Haussler of his native place. Their children were:
George, Barbara, Catrina, Mary, and two died young. Conrad Hess, father of Mrs.
Schaich, was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, 1824, and married Rose Hoss, of the
same place. They had seven children : Mary, Jenny, Goetlib, Charles, Caroline, and two
who died young. Both parents are dead.
Blackmar, Ransom and Esbon, came to Newark in the fall of 1826. The former died
December 31, 1841, and Esbon November 19, 1857. A. T. came in 1833 and Orrin in
the spring of 1835. Abel Blackmar with his wife and youngest son Edwin came in the
fall of 1835. Their father, Abel, died March 18, 1843, and their mother February 14,
1861. The family ancestry is from England. Sir Henry Blackmar came to this coun-
try and bought about one-third of the State of Rhode Island and part of his descend-
ants afterward settled in Connecticut, from which place they removed to Greene
county, N. Y. When Ransom and Esbon came to Newark they engaged in general
merchandise, buying grain, boat building, and shipping grain on the canal. Their first
boat was named the R. & E. Blackmar. The county was settled by eastern people, and
when they visited relatives in the east it was customary to go in neighborhood parties,
and go with some favorite captain of the boat which they selected and have a good
social time, as the forward part of the canal boats were finished in cabins for passengers,
the back of the boat for cooking and the accommodation of the crew, and the center
for freight. The capacity for grain was about 600 bushels and Albany was the chief
market in the east. Colonel Bartle was then doing business in Newark (formerly
called Miller's Basin) associated with Mr. Norton of Phelps, under the firm name of
312 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
Bartle, Norton & Co., who had extensive mills near Phelps and shipped their flour at
Newark. Most of the farmers who first settled in Arcadia had little means, and usually
came with a young wife and children to seek their fortune in what was then known as
the far west. They took up land from the land office in Geneva, making small payment,
and trusting to their industry for a future home. The merchants and grain buyers had
their nearest banking accommodations at the Geneva Bank at Geneva, and the mer-
chants were the bankers for the farmers, making them loans to pay their interest and
payments at the land office, and selling them dry goods and groceries on one year's time
until they could plant and harvest crops. The most of the land on which Newark is
located is shown by title deeds to have at one time belonged to some member of the
Blackmar family, and to Esbon and Horace Blackmar, a cousin and partner in business.
is due the surveying, mapping and laying out of many of the streets of our village.
Esbon Blackmar was several times supervisor of the town and twice represented the
district in the State Legislature, and at one time represented his district as member of
Congress : and we will add. was one of the town's honest, honored, efficient and useful
citizens. Orrin and Edwin are still doing business in Newark. The enterprise, sterling
integrity, and Christian sentiments of the first business men in Newark and the farmers
first settling Arcadia are clearly represented in their descendants.
Fisk, H. Hudson, was born in Arcadia, two and one half miles southwest of Newark
July 19, 1849, was educated in the common and the Union School and Academy of
Newark. The early part of his life was spent on the homestead farm. He also
taught school several years, and was vice-principal of the Union School and
Academy here six years. In November, 1885, he became a newspaper man, purchasing
the Newark Union, which he has conducted since with success, as proprietor, editor and
publisher. Mr. Fisk's father, Lonson, was born in Saratoga county February 11, 1811.
June 14, 1832. he married Adelia Wells of the town of Manchester, who was born
March 1. 1812. They had nine children, George W., Samuel. Willis P., William H., A.
Judson and H. Hudson (twins), Jennie, Frances A., and Belle. Mr. Fisk, sr., died De-
cember 19, 1885. and his wife July 27. 1888. The family came to reside in this town
Collins, T. W. — The grandfather of our subject, Thaddeus Collins, emigrated from
Vermont in 1800, settled in Phelps, Ontario county, about three miles south of the
present village of Phelps. He removed to Wa}'ne county about 1812 and took up a
tract of land comprising a part of the present site of Pine Valley and extending north-
ward a considerable distance. The house he built and in which he died is still standing
and is at present occupied by Mrs. Closs. Stephen Collins, father of T.W., was born at
Phelps in 1802, removed to Rose with his father in 1812 and spent the remainder of his
days in that town. He died in December, 1892. T. W. Collins was born on his father's
farm in Rose April 15, 1830, spent his youth and early manhood in working on the
farm. He graduated from Genesee College in 1855, went to the Albany Law School
and was admitted to the bar in 1857. He opened a law office at Wolcott in December,
1857, and practiced his profession at that place for nine years. During that time he
served as supervisor of Wolcott one year (1860), and three years as member of Assem-
bly, the last year (1865), holding the position of chairman of the committee of ways and
means. In 1866 was elected county clerk of Wayne county, and removed to Lyons in
December of that year. In 1872 went off with the liberals, ran for elector on the
Greeley ticket and was defeated. In 1879 was elected judge and surrogate of Wayne
county and held the office for a single term, since which he has been practically out of
politics and engaged in the practice cf law.
Kelley, Clarence M., was born on the old homestead south of Newark, September 20,
1850, and was educated in the common and the Union School and Academy. In early
life lie learned the machinist trade at H. C. Silsby's, Seneca Falls, and became a
FAMILY SKETCHES. 313
thorough workman. Taking locomotive work he pursued it in detail at Schenectady,
Philadelphia, and for the N. Y. C. & H. R. R. R. Leaving the locomotive cab in 1876
he went to the Black Hills and Big Horn region, prospecting and mining, and for four
years remained there testing many claims. He came back to the East with the intention
of settling in Newark, but was induced to take charge of the Bignall Manufacturing
Works at Medina, which employed seventy men. This he left in 1885, and came back-
to Newark to succeed his father in business, purchasing the Eagle Foundry site on
Union street and erecting the present Kelley block. With his own private purse he led
the work of establishing grade, laying walk, and curbing Union street in front of his
premises. He has added to his business house furnishing goods and carriages, and by
liberal dealing has made his business a success. October 7, 1880, he married at Medina
Rasena Randolph. Mrs. Kelley's father, Rev. Webster Randolph, was born in Vermont.
He located in Newark and was instrumental in building the present Universalist church.
He married Eliza Vose, of Boston, and they had three children, B. Howe, Rasena, and
Caroline, who died in infancy. Mr. Randolph died in October, 1893, and his wife in
January, 1882. Mr. Kelley is a member of Newark Lodge No. 83, F. & A. M., of
Newark Chapter No. 117, R. A. M., Zenobia Commandery No. 41, K. T.
Chamberlain, Dr. Dwight S., was born in Litchfield county, Conn., February 22, 1839.
His great-grandfather was an officer in the Revolution, connected with General Wash-
ington's staff. Dr. Chamberlain was educated at the Genesee Seminary and College,
Lima, N. Y., and in March, 1862, he graduated from the medical department of the
University of the City of New York. He then sailed to England as surgeon of a ship
engaged in the transportation of emigrants. Returniug the following summer he entered
the service as assistant surgeon of the 138th N. Y. Vols., later the 9th N. Y. Heavy
Artillery, participating in the battles of Cold Harbor and Petersburg, Sheridan's cam-
paign in the valley of the Shenandoah, the capture of Richmond and Petersburg, and
the final engagement at Savior's Run. He was promoted to major and surgeon in
February, 1865, and mustered out in July of that year. He took charge of the Soldier's
Home and Hospital at Syracuse for a short time, and in September, 1865, he entered
into partnership with Dr. Bottom of Lyons, and practiced here until the spring of 1868,
when he began reading law. He was admitted to the bar in 1874, since which time he
has been more or less interested in that profession. Dr. Chamberlain has been con-
nected with the Lyons National Bank for many years, as director, vice-president, and
finally as president. In memory of his father-in-law, the late D. W. Parshall, our sub-
ject has erected a beautiful memorial building on William street, the upper part of which
contains one of the finest opera houses in the State, outside the large cities. October
17, 1868, Dr. Chamberlain married Katharine M. Parshall, and they have two sons and
a daughter. One of the sons is vice-president of the Lyons National Bank, and the
other is engaged in real estate and other outside matters. Both Dr. and Mrs. Chamber-
lain are heavily interested in real estate in this town and county, owning the principal
business places here, as well as other property, farming land, etc. He is an able lawyer,
affable, and easily approached.
Ream, Fred, was born near Strausburg, Germany, January 4, 1840. He is a son of
Peter and Lena (Strang) Ream, natives of Germany, who emigrated to America in
1849, and settled near Lyons. Peter Ream then removed to Rose, and finally settled in
Rochester, where he died in 1891. His wife still survives him and resides with her son,
C. W. Ream. The maternal grandfather, George Strang, was a prominent man of
Lemberg, Germany, and was treasurer and county clerk under Napoleon during the
French Revolution. Our subject has always followed farming. He now owns one
hundred acres, and carries on general farming. In 1867 he married Lovina, daughter of
Squire Mitchell, of Rose, by whom he has two daughters, Alice F. and Edith L. Mr.
Ream has held several town offices, and at present is justice of the peace. He is a mem-
ber of Clyde Grange. They attend and support theM. E. church.
314 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY
Lyman. Milo S., was born in Galen, May 18, 1826, son of Jesse and Betsey (Sedgwick)
Lyman, he a native of Connecticut, and came to Galen about 1820, and then to Rose,
where he settled on a farm, and finally to Rose Valley, where he died in 1863. He kept
light house at Sodus Point for about ten years. Subject's mother died when he was five
years of age, and he was bound out to work for Adam Learn of Galen, with whom he
remained until he was twenty-one. He afterward worked for John Learn seven years,
worked his farm three years, and during the time bought forty acres in Rose, on which
he moved and erected buildings, remaining three years. He next worked by the month
eight years, and then rented his father-in-law's farm. In 1873 he bought the farm he
now owns, of 148 acres. No man in this town had less to start with than had Milo S.
Lyman, few have done any better. Energy, honesty and perseverance, accompanied
with a faithful devoted and capable wife, have placed him in the forefront of our towns-
men. A man to be admired and emulated. He had no school advantages and is wholly
a self-made man; what he has done every man may do. Mr. Lyman has been poor-
master one year, has been a member of the M. E. church thirty years, and has held every
office in the church of Rose Valley. He married in 1854 Rebecca, daughter of John
Barnes, by whom he had one son, John W., born in February, 1857. He was educated
in Albany Normal School (class of '79), from which he graduated with high honors, and
taught school two years in Garrison. His health failed and he died with quick consump-
tion in 1881. Mrs Lyman died May 18, 1892, and in April, 1894, he married Clarissa
Webb, of Huron. He has one adopted son, George A. Barnes, son of James Barnes, of
Pulver, John, was born in Schoharie, N. Y., in 1807, a son of John M., who came to
Sodus in 1829. Their ancestors came from Holland in an early day and settled in
Dutchess county. John M. married Rebecca Millis, and their children were: Serene,
John, Jane, Dorcas, William, Daniel, Anson, and Jerome. John settled in Sodus and is
engaged in farming. He married Mis. Lucinda, widow of William Ellsworth. Ami
Ellsworth, the pioneer of the family in Wayne county, came from East Windsor, Conn.,
on foot in 1800, and took up one hundred acres of land on the lake west of Sodus Point.
He built a log house and returned to Connecticut for his family. They endured all the
hardships that fall to the lot of s settler in a new country. His wife was Chloe Allen, and
in 1807, learning that she had inherited some property in Connecticut, she made the
journey there and back on horseback alone. Their children were: Ami, Sophia, Huldab,
Aurelia, Julia A., Levi, Ann, William, who settled on the homestead and was a prosper-
ous and enterprising farmer. He married Lucinda Sophia Selby, of Palmyra, and died
Van Slyck, Charles D., was born in Sodus, December 6, 1859, and is a son of James Van
Slyck, who was born in the eastern part of the State of New York in 1820, in early life
moved to Sodus, where he died March 3, 1875. He was a farmei and a man of quiet
tastes and never sought political honors. He married Olivia Etherington, November 17,
1858, and their children were Charles D., Nellie E. (Mrs. E. J. Harvey), May H, and
Carrie Olivia (Mrs. James E. Hanby). Charles D. is a farmer on the old homestead, and
January 25, 1893, was married to Miss Eva C. Stickney.
Field, Warren A., was born in Sodus Point in 1840, and is a son of Rodoiphus, whose
father was Wells Field. This family traces its ancestry back to Sir John Field, who
came from England to Plymouth, Mass., in 1620. Rodoiphus served in the war of 1812,
being at the battle of Plattsburgh, etc. At the close of the war he settled in Utica, and
in 1818 removed to Sodus, where he died October 11, 1880. In 1815 he married
Rachael, daughter of Aaron and Susan (Watkins) Williams, of Utica, by whom he had
these children : Lurancy, William W., Elizabeth, Charles, Morris, Oliver O, Mariah,
Cleason, Catharine O, Warren A., Mary, besides two who died young. Warren settled
in Sodus Point, and at the age of fifteen years became a sailor, and with short exceptions
FAMILY SKETCHES. :;ir,
he has spent his life in this service on the lakes. He is captain and owner of the steamer
Sunbeam, and has also real estate interest at Sand Point. For several years he con-
ducted a store at Sodus Point, and was also partner in a planing mill there. He is a
member of the Sodus Bay Yacht Club. He married Elmina Harroun, and they have two
children, Alvin, and Cora, wife of Aaron Shufelt, of Sodus Point.
Sauer, Martin, was born in Germany near Bingen-on the-Rhine, came to America in
1834, when nineteen years of age, and settled in the south part of Sodus. Two brothers,
Christopher and John, came about the same time all settling in the same part of the
town. Christopher removed to Illinois about 1850. John Sauer purchased a large farm
and was one of the prosperous farmers of town. He married Eva Lang, and their chil-
dren were : John, Henry J., Christiana, Mary and George, all of whom reside in Sodus.
Martin Sauer purchased a large tract of land, and by industry has become one of the
most prominent and wealth}^ farmers in the town. He married Caroline Lang, and their
children are : Henry M., who settled in Arcadia and is a farmer. He married Mary A.
Sauer from near Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada; Caroline, who married Nicholas
Espenscheid, of Sodus ; Catherine, who married Adam Frey, of East Palmyra ; Mar-
garet, who married Asa F. Andrews, of Joy ; Barbara, William, Jacob and Charles, of
Seymour, Morris J., was born in Sodus on the farm he now'occupies December 24,
1840, a son of Orson, born in 1801, Avho is a son of Ebenezer who came from Pompey,
Onondaga county, about 1808, and settled at Palmyra. They removed to Williamson
and soon after to the town of Sodus. Ebenezer married Jemima Wilbur, and their chil-
dren were: Valda, Sidney (deceased), Orson, who died in 1875; Delmer, Harland,
Morris (deceased), Orlando, Lucmda, Jennette, Mary A. and Clarissa. Morris J. Sey-
mour resides on the homestead and is a farmer. In 1862 he enlisted in the 160thN. Y.
Inf., and served until the close of the war. He was wounded at the battle of Winchester.
He is a member of Dwight Post, G. A. R., of Sodus. He married in 1870 Hannah Burt
of Washington county.
Pearsall, John T., was born in Huron, Wayne county, in 1856, and is a son of Henry
who came from Saratoga to Seneca county in 1839, and about 1842 settled in the town
of Huron and engaged in farming. He married Jane Terbush, and their children were :
John O. (deceased), William H., Eleanor, Esther, George, Amanda, John T., Phoebe and
Edwin. William H. settled in Huron, where he died ; Eleanor married Cyrus E. Fitch
and seitled in Butler ; Esther married James McClure and settled in Tompkins county ;
George settled in Wolcott, where he died ; Amanda married Frank W. Hague and
settled in Niagara county ; Phoebe married first Anthony Curtis and second Abraham
Griswold, and settled in Wolcott; Edward settled in Sodus; John T. settled in Sodus
and is an enterprising farmer. He was several years excise commissioner, and in 1893
was elected assessor. He married in 1883 Adelia L., daughter of John Bates, of Sodus,
by whom he has two children : Leo B. and Theda J.
Granger, Sprague S., was born in Sodus, April 10, 1849, a son of Thomas J., who
settled in the town of Sodus when a young man, the land then being unbroken forest.
He cleared and brought under cultivation several farms, and in 1869 came to Sodus
village to reside, where he was for many years engaged in the manufacture of fanning
mills. He belonged to the Masonic fraternity, Sodus Lodge No. 392. He married
Satira Negus, and had these children : George, who settled in Sodus, where he is engaged
in the manufacture of fanning mills, etc., and who married Tammy Pulver ; Harriet A.,
who married Hezekiah Lake; Samuel, who died young; and Sprague S., who settled in
Sodus and established a lumber yard, carried on a saw and planing mill, and was engaged
in the manufacture of fanning mills, sash, doors and blinds, etc., carrying on for several
years an extensive business. He was also engaged in basket manufacturing. He takes
a keen interest in political affairs, having served as commissioner of highways, etc. He
31G LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
takes a keen interest in political affairs, having served as commissioner of highways, etc.
He is a member of Sodus Lodge No. 392, F. & A. M., and Wayne Chapter. In 1872 he
married Alice E. Wride, of Sodus, and they have one daughter, Bessie W.
Brower, Aldice W., was born near Sodus Center December 23, 1844, and is a son of
Myron, whose father, Peter Brower, was a native of New Jersey, his ancestors having
come from Holland. He settled at Phelps, N. Y., at an early day and about 1830 pur-
chased a farm about a miie south of Sodus Center where he engaged in farming. He
served in the War of 1812. He was a leading member of the Sodus Center Baptist church,
of which he was a deacon. He married Betsey Van Dusen at Phelps, and their children
were : Cynthia, who married John Yan Duzer and settled in Sodus ; John was a miller and
settled in Michigan, but later returned to Sodus where he died ; Aaron settled in Sodus;
Jane married Thomas Hopkins, of Sodus. Myron Brower settled in Sodus and was a
farmer. He married Mary Taylor, and they had these children : Aldice W., Mary E.,
who married Walter Thornton, of Sodus, and Bell, who married Charles Stell. Aldice
W. was engaged in farming until 1872, when he became agent of the railroad at Sodus
Center, which position he still holds. In 1881 he built a warehouse there, and has since
been engaged in the produce business. He has been justice of the peace four years,
supervisor of the town of Sodus three years, 1887, 1888, and 1889; and for several years
has been notary public. In February, 1873, he was appointed postmaster at Sodus
Center and held that office until July, 1893. He is a member of Sodus Lodge No. 392,
F.'& A. M.. Wayne Chapter No. 276 and Zenobia Commandery, No. 41, of Palmyra.
In December, 1863, he enlisted in the 9th Heavy Artillery, and served until the close of
the war, He is a charter member of Dwight Post, G. A. R., of Sodus. He married in
1869 Urania Dennis, of Sodus.
Wolfe, John, was born in Mecklenburg-Schwenn, Germany, January 29, 1830, and
came to this country in 1855. He was a cabinet maker by trade, and in December, 1893.
established the grocery business now carried on by him, having one of the best selected
stores in town, and keeping a line of cigars, tobacco, and imported goods. At the age
of twenty-four Mr. Wolfe married Caroline Winters, daughter of Jacob Winters, and
they have eight children, six sons and two daughters. Our subject is one of the active
business men in the town, thoroughly up in all the events of the day, and recognized as
a man of strict integrity in all his dealings.
Howell, Veron R., was born in Marion, September 16, 1847, a son-of Hiram Howell,
also of this county, born November 15, 1814. The family came from Orange. Hiram
married Alma Twadell, and they were the parents of Veron R. The latter was educated
in the common schools and finished at the Marion Collegiate Institute. He enlisted in
Co. B, 9th N. Y. Heavy Artillery, December 15, 1863, and participated in the battles of
Cold Harbor, Monocacy Junction, Winchester, Fisher's Hill and Cedar Creek, having
been slightly wounded at Cold Harbor. He was honorably discharged at the close of
the war, in 1865. Returning to Marion he finished his studies, and at the age of thirty-
five married Hattie E., daughter of Oliver Sutton, of Lyons, January 1, 1874. He was
appointed deputy sheriff under R. P. Grost, and in 1877 removed to Lyons. In 1882 he
was elected sheriff of his county, serving three years. In 1886 he was appointed re-
ceiver of the firm of J. 0. Spencer & Co., of Waterloo, also executor and administrator
of several large estates in his county. Mr. Howell is identified with the best interests
of his town and county.
Van Dusen, Harlan, was born in Arcadia July 26, 1846, a son of William, who came
from Rensselaer county in 1835. The family were prominent farmers in this town.
Harlan was educated in the common schools of his town and the Marion Collegiate
Institute, after which he taught for three years, then studied medicine with Dr. Myron
Adams of Rochester. He took also a course of study at the Hahneman Medical Col-
lege of Philadelphia, and graduated from the Detroit Medical College in 1872, return-
FAMILY SKETCHES. 317
ing to Newark He there established a general practice and at the age of twenty-two
married Lucy 0. daughter of B. B. Adams, of Marion, Wayne county, who have two
children Forest E. and Harlan H. Our subject is one of the most intelligent men in
his profession, and has also lived a very active business life, being the promoter and