the name was changed to The Invalid's Visitor. In May, 1886, Dr. and
Mrs. Burr removed to Williamson, taking the journal with them. It is
an octavo of sixteen pages, monthly, and devoted to the interests of
invalids. It has a very extended circulation.
The Macedon News was first issued in the village of Macedon in the
fall of 1885, by M. Allen Eddy, who has successfully conducted it since.
He was then only fourteen years old and attending school. The size
of the paper was then six by nine inches. It has been three times en-
larged, and now is an eight-page, seven-column journal. When the
last enlargement was made the name was changed to The Newsgatherer.
Since October, 1890, W. S. Eddy has been business manager for his
brother, the publisher, M. Allen Eddy, who is on the city start of the
Chicago. Herald. M. Allen Eddy was born in Macedon, December 14,
1870, and graduated from the Macedon Academy in the class of '86.
He served as reporter two years on the Oswego Palladium. William
S. Eddy was born in Macedon, February 18, 1868, and educated in
Macedon Academy. They are sons of Marvin A. Eddy, who settled in
Macedon from Williamson, where his father, Joseph, was a pioneer.
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
The Marion Enterprise was founded by E. Curtis in 1880, and by his
ability as an editor and his practical business qualifications, has made it
a success. Mr. Curtis was born in Madison, Madison county, N. Y.,
July 17, 1825, and is the youngest living of eight children of Eli and
Hulda Curtis. He was educated in the common schools and Augusta
Academy, and at the age of seventeen began teaching, which occupation
he followed thirty years; was four years a teacher in Marion Collegiate
Institute, of which his son-in-law, Charles E. Allen, was principal at the
same time, while the wife of the latter was preceptress, and a daughter
of our subject, Evangeline, was assistant. The family thus conducted
the institution four years. On September 24, 1880, Mr. Curtis estab-
lished the Enterprise, as above stated. In the conduct of this journal
he is assisted by his son, Rollo D. Mr. Curtis was associated with C. A.
White in the purchase of the Gorham Intelligence in 1878; he bought
out his partner in 1879, and continued thereuntil he founded the Enter-
prise. Through the public spirit of Mr. Curtis a telephone office was
established- in Marion. He married in 1845, Laura A. Dudley, of
WAYNE COUNTY. 145
Augusta, N. Y., daughter of Rev. Ira J. and Laura Hurd Dudley,
early settlers in Oneida county, and they have had four children:
Genevieve, died August 18, 1889; Evangeline L., wife of C. Frank
Radcler, of Marion ; Rollo D., a graduate of Yates Polytechnic Institute.
The Ontario Sun was established in Ontario village in 1873, by Galen
Oderdirk, who soon afterwards took his uncle, Rev. G. M. Hardie, as
partner. They sold out to William H Spencer, who changed the name
of the paper to The Lake Shore Independent. The journal was dis-
continued within a few years.
The first newspaper in the town and village of Rose was an amateur
journal, called the Rose Times, published by Burt E., son of Jackson
Valentine, in the fall of 1886. He continued it about fourteen months.
Another amateur sheet, called the Rose Union, was started a week
after the beginning of the Times, by Elmo R. Barless, son of Dr. R. C.
Barless. In June, 1887, the establishment was purchased by Clinton
J. Barless, and changed the name of the paper to The Farmers'
Counsel, also changing its character to correspond. In the fall of 1887
it was made a local journal. In January, 1888, the Rose Times and the
Farmers' Counsel were consolidated by Barless & Valentine, and has
since been continued as such. In March, 1888, Valentine sold his part
of the material to G. A. Sherman, job printer, and C. J. & C. L. Barless
formed a partnership, which continued till the summer of that year,
when C. L. Barless retired. The partner continued alone to 1891, when
the firm of C. L. & E. R. Barless was formed, and continued to 1893.
Since then C. L. Barless has carried on the business. The paper is a
nine-column folio, neutral in politics.
In the spring of 1887 W. J. Deady started in Rose Valley the Jeffer-
sonian Democrat, which lived about six months. In 1893 a monthly pa-
per called Our Home was founded and printed in the office of C. J.
Barless, who still continues it. It is a household paper.
J. S. Cross started a six column weekly at North Rose about 1890,
called the North Rose Herald. He sold it in the same year to C. J.
Barless and the publication is discontinued.
The Lake Shore News is a very successful weekly journal published
in Wolcott village. It was founded October 8, 1874, by its present ed-
itor and proprietor, William H. Thomas. It is independent in politics,
and one of the best journals in the county.
William H. Thomas is a native of Mentz, Cayuga count}*, and was
born November 5, 1832. He learned the printing trade in the North-
146 LANDMARKS OF
era Christian Advocate office, in Auburn. After a period of journey-
man work he purchased in 1S55 an interest in the Port Byron Chronicle,
but lie soon sold out and went west. Three years later he returned and
enlisted in the 111th N. V. Vols. August 8, L862, and remained three
years. Returning to Wolcott, he started a job printing office and nine
years later founded the News.
The first newspaper on the death-roll in Wolcott was started by John
Mclntyre in 1851, and called the Wayne Banner. It was short lived.
Joseph A. Payne made the next and equally abortive attempt. Charles
I). Smith started the Wolcott Standard in 1S74, and it also soon fol-
lowed its predecessors. The Wolcott Independent, a weekly Greenback
organ, started in 1881 by Cyrus Conkling, was soon removed to Clyde
where it became the Clyde Citizen and Independent.
The town of Wolcott supports another journal in the village of Red
Creek. The Red Creek Herald was started March 15, 1894, by its pres-
ent editor and proprietor, W. G. Phippin. It is a seven-column folio,
neutral in politics and is ably conducted. Mr. Phippin is a native of
Iowa and was born January 5, 1867; learned the trade in Oswego and
Watertown; in 1802 established the Wayland Register in Steuben
county, which he sold in L893 and came to Red Creek.
The Red Creek Press, a six-column paper was started in ( )ctober, 1*',].
by Wm. A. Spencer and A. Sayles, jr., it was soon discontinued.
FREE AXJ) ACCEPTED M Avon's.
The first lodge of Free and Accepted Masons in what is now Wayne
county, was organized in 1811, as Pultneyville Lodge No. L59. It con-
tinued work with a fair degree of prosperity until the Morgan anti-Ma-
sonic warfare swept over this State, when it succumbed. It was reor-
ganized after 1850 under the same name, with Philander B. Rovce,
master. Its meetings were continued there until 1872, when the lodge
ami its property were removed to Williamson village, where it has since
WAYNE COUNTY. 1 17
remained. At the time of its organization it had only seven members;
it now has twenty-seven, and the following principal officers for 1894:
J.»hn E. Tufts, W. M. ; Mortimer P. Tufts, S. W. ; Arthur Shipley,
f. \V. ; George F. Cheetham, treasurer; William Pound, secretary.
Sodus Lodge No. 392, F. & A. M., was organized in Sodus village in
1856, with the following first officers: Asahel Yale, W. M. ; John A.
Paddock, S. W. ; William Shaver, J. W. ; J. R. Sweeney, treasurer;
Riley Belden, secretary. The following persons have been past mas-
ters of this lodge: Dr. Asahel Yale, 1850-58 and 1860-61; W. Tillott-
son, 1859; A. P. Warren, 1862-64; Amos Case, 1865-66; John A. Boyd,
1867; W. P. Rogers, 1868; E. Thornton, 1869; C. C. Teall, 1870; Dr.
William G. Thirkell, 1871, 1874-76, and 1878-79; R. S. Borradaile,
1872; C. D. Gaylord, 1873; William Kansier, 1877; A. W. Brower,
1880; L. D. F. Vaughn, 1881-82; John C. Hill, 1883; Ward Smith,
1884-85; James Stebbins, 1886; L. D. V. Vaughn, 1887; C. C. Field,
1888-89; Edward Pullman, 1890-91; L. D. F. Vaughn, 1892; C. C.
Field, 1893. The officers for 1894 are: W. A. Nichols, W. M. ; Dr. F.
L. Wilson, S. W. ; Eugene Merenus, J. W. ; M. F. Boyd, treasurer;
W. G. Thirkell, secretary. This lodge is very prosperous and has about
115 members, who are zealous in upholding the high principles of the
order; this fact is indicated by the circumstance that they watched dur-
ing 186 successive nights with the Rev. David Moir, Episcopal minis-
ter of the village, and a member of De Molay Lodge No. 409, of Buffalo,
when he was sick. The Buffalo lodge on April 11, 1893, presented
Sodus Lodge with a handsome engrossed memorial embodying resolu-
tions of thanks.
Wayne Chapter, R. A. M., No. 276 was organized in Sodus village
April 16, 1880, and was chartered February 8, 1881, with the following
members: O. W. Bates, H. P. ; Dr. W. G. Thirkell, K.; W T ard Smith,
scribe; Dr. L. M. Gaylord, treasurer; C. D. Gaylord, secretary; J. P.
Canfield, S. Bloss, E. D. Ailing, R. B. Belden, E. A. Green, and J. A.
Paddock. The high priests of this chapter have been: O. W. Bates,
1880-83; Dr. W. G. Thirkell, 1884-87; H. S. Dennis, 1888-89; C. C.
Field, 1890-92; Dr. W. G. Thirkell, 1893-94. The officers for 1894 are
as follows: Dr. W. G. Thirkell, H. P. ; George E. Philo, K. ; William
Horn, scribe ; L. D. F. Vaughn, treasurer and secretary. This chap-
ter has now about fifty-two members.
Humanity Lodge, F. & A. M., No. 283. — This was one of the more
conspicuous of the early Masonic lodges of Wayne and its roll of mem-
148 LANDMARKS OF
bership embraces many names of early citizens and others down to recent
years, who were prominent in the community in many ways. Prelim-
inary to the ceremony of installation in the old lodge a meeting of those
interested met in a building owned by Moses Hurlbert on the 14th of
August, 1817. Here a procession was formed which marched to the
Methodist meeting-house where a discourse was delivered by Brother
Farley, following which Humanity Lodge was duly installed with its
officers, by Philetus Swift, D. G. M., assisted by others of the Grand
Lodge. The following were the first officers of this lodge: Ezra Jew-
ell, W. M. ; David June, S. W. ; Gabriel Rogers, J. W. ; Josiah Wright,
treasurer; Hiram Payne, secretary; Henry Seymour, S. D. ; William
Stills, J. D. ; Peter Eisenlord and Oliver Granger, stewards; Samuel
Davis, tyler. The first persons initiated by this lodge were Jacob
Leach, and Moses B. Hurlburt. The committee to prepare b)Maws
were H. Payne, Ezra Jewell, and Gabriel Rogers. The following is a
nearly complete list of those who signed the by-laws during the life of
the lodge, and is of interest as naming many of the leading citizens of
that day: Caleb Gilber, Jacob Leach, Samuel Rossitur, Jenks Pullen,
W. Perrine, Edward Swail, Moses B. Hurlburt, Nathan Worden, Wil-
liam C. Guest, Peter Eisenlord, Jeremiah S. Jenkins, Joseph M. Dem-
mon, Jacob M. Gilbert, John Varnum, Jesse Gulick, Charles Champ-
lin, William C. Perrine, James Lamon, Oliver Granger, Upton Dorsey,
Charles Raynor, William Clark, Stephen M. Palmer, Adam Learn,
Newell Taft, Sawyer Bullock, Francis Pomeroy, Andrew Dorsey, Ed-
ward Jones, John Gilbert, Horatio G. Kingsbury, Thomas E. Dorsey,
John Lewis, William Trowbridge, Abraham Knapp, Lyman Granger,
Harris West, Sanford Lipan, James J. Bernet, Pardon Worden, Thomas
Hawley, William G. Hough, Peleg Betteys, John W. Carrigan, Alex-
ander Beard, Abraham L. Beaumont, Freeman Rogers, William Sisson,
James Sears, John Condit, Calvin D. Palmeter, Nelson Aldrich, Or-
ville L. Holley, L. Hazen, L. R. Lalett, William Parker, Edward Bur-
rell, Elisha Sisson, Graham H. Chapin, John Drake, Cyrus Hum-,
Michael Miller, John S. Hall, John S. Tallmadge, Phineas B. Austin,
Hiram S. Day, Reuben H. Forster, Stephen Ferguson,. Daniel Dunn,
Abraham Fairchild, Daniel R. Rozell, David Peterson, Oliver Allen,
Joseph Enns. Henry Beaumont, Abner Brown, Eli Blair, Nehemiah
Sprague, Abner Pease, Henry Yerington, John Perrine, jr., John
Adams, Robert Knnis, Hugh Brown, jr. , Peter Carney, Aaron Griswold,
Orin \V. Giles, William Efner, Ora Piatt, James West fail, Ziba Lane,
WAYNE COUNTY. 149
Joseph Hall, Aaron S. Boylan — a total of 101 names. The masters of
this lodge were Ezra Jewell, Jacob M. Gilbert, and Henry Seymour.
The last recorded meeting of old Humanity Lodge tood place April 8,
1824, and doubtless the wave of anti-Masonry caused the surrender of
Humanity Lodge No. 406, was instituted in May, 1856, under dis-
pensation from the Grand Lodge at Odd Fellows Hall, Lyons, with
fourteen charter members as follows: William H. Sisson, Henry Gra-
ham, jr., Southard Lewis, J. Welling, Daniel Ford, Zebulon Moore,
John Gilbert, Daniel R. Rozell, Newell Taft, Ziba Lane, Darius H.
Denton, and A. I. Van Camp. The first officrs were: William H. Sis-
son, W. M. ; Henry Graham, jr., S. W. ; S. Lewis, J. W. ; J. Welling,
secretary; Daniel Ford, tyler. The past masters have been: J. Wel-
ling, who served eight years; Henry Graham, jr., Joseph McCall, Seth
C. Searle, Beardsley Van Alstyne, Milton E. Mirick, Daniel Althen,
William E. Hines, John B. Stoll, George W. Koester, William E. Mc-
Collum. The dedication of the rooms in Masonic Block took place Feb-
ruary 18, 1869, and thither the lodge removed. The membership is now
over 100, and the following are the officers for 1894: Charles N. Crom-
well, W. M. ; F. H. McOmber, S. W. ; C. E. Ernst, J. W. ; Joseph Mc-
Call, treasurer; R. W. Ashley, secretary.
Freemasonry began early in Clyde, the organization of Galen Lodge
No. 367, dating back to 1823, and the warrant bearing date June 7, of
that year. The officers were: Joseph Enos, G. M. ; John Brush,
D. G. M. ; Nathaniel Allen, S. G W. ; Thomas Barker, J. G. W. ; John
Lewis, M. ; Henry Northrup, S. W. ; Artemus Humiston, J. W. The
lodge began work in a chamber in Sylvester Clark's storehouse, October
15, 1823, and continued in prosperity until 1826, when with a member-
ship of sixty-six, it was persecuted and driven from place to place under
the Morgan excitement, finally settling in the ball room of the Clyde
Hotel on the 26th of January, 1831. There a few of the faithful con-
tinued to meet until February 15, 1832, when it was determined to
suspend work until the excitement subsided. The officers at that time
were: John Condit, W. M. ; Thomas J. Whiting, S. D. ; A. Pendleton,
J. D. ; Samuel M. Welch, tyler; Arza Lewis, treasurer.
Ctyde Lodge, F. & A. M. , No. 341, was organized in 1854, and suc-
ceeded to the jewels, furniture, etc., of the old Galen Lodge. The
petitioners for the warrant were: John Condit, Joseph Watson, Joseph
Welling, William C. Ely, Aaron Griswold, S. J. Childs, William G. T.
150 LANDMARKS OF
Elliott, and John J. Dickson. The warrant is dated July 6, 1854, at
which time John Condit was appointed W. M. ; Joseph Watson, S. W. ;
Joseph Welling, J. W. This lodge has always prospered, and now has
ninety-one members. Following are the officers for 1894: H. A. Water-
bury/ W. M.; W. R. Vrooman, S. W. ; B. N. Marriott, J. W. ; J. J.
Cookingham, treasurer; J. E. McGinnis, secretary; G. R. Bacon,
chaplain; A. C. Lux, S. D. ; H. B. Exner, J. D. ; C. R. Kennedy,
vS. M. C ; C. E. Jones, J. M. C. ; Clark Potts, tyler.
Griswold Chapter No. 201, R. A. M., of Clyde, was chartered Febru-
ary 7, 1807, and on the 6th of March following the first officers were
installed; they were as follows: Aaron Griswold, M. E. high priest;
J. Hasbrook Suhler, E. king; Robert Dobyns, E. scribe; Hugh Boyd,
tyler; Seth Smith, captain of host; Dr. James M. Home, principal so-
journer; John Trempor, Royal Arch captain; Edward B. Wells, master
of third vail ; Jacob Strauss, master of second vail ; George O. Baker,
master of first vail. This chapter came into existence in place of the
old Lyons Chapter, which was chartered in 1824, with Oliver Allen,
high priest, and James P. Bartlett, secretary. Mr. Allen was succeeded
in his office by William Sisson, who continued until the suspension
about 1828, during the anti-Masonic warfare. The officers of the
chapter for 1894 are as follows: G. R. Bacon, H. P. ; H. A. Waterbury,
K. ; E. B. Wells, S. ; J. Strauss, secretary; J. E. McGinnis, C. H. ; J. J.
Cookingham, P. S. ; E. M. Ellinwood, R. A. C. ; W. W. Legg, M, 3d
V. ; W. R. Vrooman, M. 2dV. ; E. R. Bockoven, M. 1st V. ; Clark Potts,
Newark Lodge No. 83, F. & A. M., was chartered June 5, 1824.
James P.. Bartle was the first master; Theodore Partridge, S. W. ; J. C.
Roberts, J. W. The anti-Masonic war affected this lodge seriously,
and in March, 1827, nine out of fifteen members present at a meeting
voted to surrender the charter. Of the $100 then on hand the lodge
gave $25 to the Methodist Society of the place, and $25 to the Presby-
terian Society; the remaining $50 was given to the American Bible
Society. In 1838 the Grand Lodge was asked to return their warrant,
and the request was granted. Meetings were held in a room in Mr.
Bartle's house, fitted up by him for the purpose, and a few members
were initiated. In 1840 the charter was again surrendered. Ten years
later, September 28, 1848, the lodge was revived with the following-
officers: lames P. Bartle, M. ; John Daggett, S. W. ; Theodor Dickinson,
]. \V. ; A. F. Cressy, secretary; E. T. Grant, treasurer. The number
WAYNE COUNTY. 151
of members was twenty-two, which has been gradually increased to
more than hundred. G. L. Bennett, who joined in 1849, is the present
oldest member, and has served as secretary twenty-five years. James
P. Bartle was master several years, as also was John Daggett. Other
masters have been: James D. Ford, Clark Mason, R. P. Groat, Richard
White, G. L. Bennett, C. P. Fanning, Marvin I. Greenwood, Alexander
Hayes, and G. M. Soverhill. The officers for 1894 are as follows:
William T. Peirson, W. M. ; W. C. Conrad, S. W. ; T. R. Loomis,
J. W. ; C. S. White, treasurer; E. F. Cowles, secretary; Rev. L. Coffin,
chaplain; A. C. Fish, S. D. ; F. W. Traub, J. D. ; Godfrey Koetsch,
S. M. C. ; Samuel Farnsworth, J. M. C. ; John K. Lyke, tyler. This
lodge is noted for its enthusiasm in all good works. On the erection of
Ford's Block, a room was secured in the third story, and on June 24,
1875, it was consecrated' to Masonic purposes.
Newark Chapter No. 117, received its original warrant Februa^ 10,
1826; John P. Bartle, H. P.; John Daggett, K. ; Theodore Partridge,
S. The warrant and lodge property, excepting the records, were burned
in 1859, and another warrant was issued February 3, of the same year.
The membership is now about eighty. The officers for 1894 are as
follows: J. M. Pitkin, jr., H. P.; T. R. Loomis, E. K. ; E. B. Elliott,
jr., E. S. ; E. R. Kelley, treasurer; E. F. Cowles, secretary; Rev. L.
Coffin, chaplain; William T. Peirson, C. H. ; P. R. Sleight, R. A. C. ;
A. C. Eish, P. S. ; F. W. Traub, 3d V.; G. Koetsch, 2d V. ; W. H. H.
Stebbins, 1st V. ; John K. Lyke, tyler.
One of the very early Masonic lodges of Wayne county was Mount
Moriah Lodge No. 112, of Palmyra, which continued a prosperous
existence until the Morgan excitement, when it surrendered its charter.
Those who served as its masters were: David White, 1816 ; W. Winslow,
S. Scovel, Ira Selby, H. S. Moore, David White; Durfee Chase, 1822-
1823; Solomon St. John, 1824; when the lodge went out of existence.
Palmyra Lodge No. 248, received its warrant March 8, 1852, but had
•worked since September 10, 1851, under dispensation. Charles Hudson
was the first master; Elijah Ennis, S. W. ; John C. Calhoun, J. W. On
March 24, 1852, the lodge was formally constituted. The following
persons have served as masters: Charles Hudson, 1852; Thomas Robin-
son, 1854; John C. Calhoun, 1855; W. B. Crandall, 1856-58 and 1860;
S. B. Smith, 1859; T. L. Root, 1861-62; C. S. Chase, 1863-65 ;-M. C.
Finley, 1866-67 John G. Webster, 1868-69; T. S. Jackson. 1870; Joseph
W. Corning, 1871; George McGown, 1872-75; Henry P. Knowles, 1876;
152 LANDMARKS OF
Joseph W. Taylor, 1877; Wells Tyler, L878-79; John C. Coates, 1880
81; Oliver Durfee, L882-83; Henry Birdsall, 1884-85; Edwin B. Ander-
son, 1886; S. Nelson Sawyer, 1887-88; C. H. Brigham, 1889-90; S. E.
Braman, 1891-92; Alfred C. Hopkins, 1893-94. The officers of the lodge
for 1894 are as follows: Alfred C. Hopkins, master; Louis M. Chase,
S. W. ; George A. Barnhart, J. W. ; Alfred W. Salisbury, treasurer;
George McGown, secretary; James L. Harrison, S. D. ; Alexander P.
Milne, J. D. ; Walter P. Smith, S. M. C. ; Richard A. Yanderboget,
J. M. C. ; William H. Dennis, tyler.
A charter was granted to Palmyra Eagle Chapter No. 79, R. AM.,
on February 7, 1823. The first officers were: Addison N. Buck, H. P. ;
Harry S. Moore, K. ; Seth Tucker, scribe. The high priests previous
to 1828 were: Dr. Durfee Chase, Solomon St. John, Alexander Mcln-
tyre, and Robert W. Smith. From 1828 to 1853 the chapter was not in
existence. On April 7, 1853, work was renewed with Truman Heming-
way, H. P. ; Marvin K. Rich, K. ; Edwin Dewey, scribe. There were
then twenty members. ' The high priests have been : T. Hemingway,
1853-55 ; William B. Crandall, 1856-60 ; Elijah Ennis, 1861-63; Thomas
L. Root, 1804-67; J. H. Chase, 1868; M. C. Finley, 1869-74; Isaac F.
Tabor, 1875-77; George McGown, 1878-82; Oliver Durfee, 1883-86;
Edwin B. Anderson, 1887-88; S. Nelson Sawyer, L889 -90; George A.
Earnhardt, 1891-93. The chapter officers for 1894 are as follows:
Seiner E. Braman, H. P. ; Mark C. Finley, K. ; Alexander P. Milne,
scribe; Alfred C. Hopkins, secretary; Fred E. Ryckman, C. H. ; George
A. Barnhart, P. S. ; Robert H. Bareham, R. A. C. ; John Cunningham,
M. 3 V. ; John D. Lane, M. 2 V. ; Addison L. Root, M. 1 V. ; William
H. Dennis, tiler.
Palmyra Council No. 26, R. & S. M., was opened under dispensation
November 13, 186."), with these officers: E. Ennis, master; Thomas L.
Root, deputy master; Mark C. Finley, P. O. of Work. A charter was
granted February <'>, L866. E. Ennis served as master until L867; M.
C. Finley, 1868-74; T. S. Jackson, 1875-76; George McGown, ls;; :
John C. Coates, 1878; M. C. Finley, 1879-88; S. Nelson Sawyer, 1889-
91 ; Edwin B. Anderson, 1892-93. The officers for 18!) I are as follows:
A. C. Hopkins, T. I. M. ; George A. Barnhardt, D. M. ; John C. Coates,
treasurer; George McGown, recorder.
Zenobia Commandery, Knights Templar, No. 41, was organized in
Palmyra, April ->'.), 1867, and its warrant bears date of October 2, L867.
Its charter members numbered twenty-six, and thirteen more were soon
WAYNE COUNTY. 153
admitted. Jackson H. Chase was the first eminent commander; Elijah
Ennis, generalissimo; Thomas L. Root, C. G. The following have held
the office of E. C. since: J. H. Chase, 18(37-68; E. Ennis, 186!); T. L.
Root, 1870-71; Rev. John G. Webster, 1872; M. C. Finley, 1873-75;
Isaac F. Tabor, 1876-77 ; George McGown, 1878-83 ; John C. Coates,
1881-88; Edwin B. Anderson, 1889-92; S. Nelson Sawyer 1893; Nel-
G. Drake, 1894. The officers elected for 1894 are as follows: George
A. Barnhardt, generalissimo; Seiner E. Braman, captain-general; Mark
C. Finley, recorder; George McGown, treasurer.
Wayne Lodge, F. & A. M., was organized at Ontario Center in 1866,
and held regular meetings in the old hotel, on the site of the present
one, until it was burned. For a few months after meetings convened
in Thomas Hall, whence the lodge property was surreptitiously removed
at midnight to Ontario village in 1891. The first officers were: T.
Mitchell, W. M. ; J. Z. Hodges, S. W. ; John Raynor, J. W. ; Isaac
Pratt, treasurer; W. H. Matherson, secretary; N. Bates, S. D. ; H. M.
Sabin, J. D. ; S. Sabin, tyler. The number of members was eighteen.
Among the past masters are T. Mitchell, J. Z. Hodges, S. Sabin, J. W.
Speller, A. J. Pratt, C. M. Pease, A. Stark, and Freeman Pintler. The
officers for 1894 are as follows: William Paine, W. M. ; H. E. Stanford,
secretary; H. E. Van Derveer, treasurer.
Walworth Lodge, F. & A. M., No. 254, was organized February 5,
1852, with seven members and the following officers: Abel Wyman,
W. M. ; Jones Findley, S. W. ; Tappan Merrill, J. W. ; Nathaniel Bates,
treasurer; W. D. Wylie, secretary. The charter bears date June 8,
1852. The charter members, besides those above named, were John
Findley and Isaac Barnhart. The first meetings for about one year
were held in Jones Findley's dwelling, on the site of F. C. Robie's pres-
ent house. Removal was then made to the old hotel, on the site of the
present one, and thence to its present quarters. This lodge had an