business till 1838, when he removed to Sodus and engaged in dealing
in boots and shoes. Returning to Lyons in 1850 he again became a
tanner. Columbus Croul became a blacksmith in the village in 1821.
He was an elder in the Presbyterian church from 1841 until his death
in April, 1881. Jonas Parker, a cooper, came to Lyons about 1820. He
was at one time keeper of the county poorhouse, and eventually re-
moved to Indiana. Oliver Penoyer, born in Columbia county, N. Y. ,
in 1806, settled in this town in 1837, and died in March, 1881. Thompson
Harrington, a settler of 1826, was a partner or proprietor of the Lyons
pottery until his death in October, 1874. James Pollock came here
early and died November 18, 1872, aged eight} T -two years. James
McElwain, a wagonmaker and captain in the State militia, was a resident
of Lyons from 1827 until his death in December, 1868. Ephraim Jeff er-
son Whitney came here on foot from Ontario county in 1822 to learn the
printer's trade in the office of the Lyons Advertiser. He also had a
book store, and died in 1856. Robert and John Stanton. Englishmen,
early settled on the hill that took their name; they subsequently moved
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
Hon. Van Rensselaer Richmond, born in Preston, N. Y., in 1812,
became resident canal engineer at Lyons in 1837. In 1842 he had charge
232 LANDMARKS OF
of the middle division, a position he resigned in 1848. He was a mem-
ber of the canal board, and in 1850 was made division engineer of the
Syracuse and Rochester direct railroad. In lSo'i he became engineer
of the middle division of the Erie Canal, and in 1857, 1859, L867, and
1869 was elected State engineer and surveyor. He settled permanently
in Lyons in 1852 and died in November, 1883.
Calvin U. Palmeter, a native of Berkshire, Mass , came to Sodus in
1816, whence he removed to Lyons about 1821. He was a tanner and
currier, and was engaged in that business with Cyrus Hecox. He was
constable, deputy sheriff , and in 1831 sheriff of Wayne county. He was
also a keeper of the county poorhouse, and a Democrat and Presby-
terian. His sons were Edwin, Ira F., Frank S., and Calvin S. David
Gilson was an early cooper in Lyons village, and ran a Durham boat on
the Clyde river, being engaged in the salt trade. Jonathan Colborn
settled very early on a farm one-half mile northeast of Alloway, and
moved thence to Rose. Edward S., Matthew A., Augustus, and John
Stewart came to Wayne county as pioneers; Edward S. was a lawyer
in Lyons village, and the others located in Galen. William McGown
was for twenty-four years a magistrate, and died at Alloway in January,
1885. Coll Roy, a Scotchman and the father of James Roy, settled
south of Lyons and kept a hotel several years.
Thomas Bradley became a distiller with Capt. Henry Towar at Allo-
way. About 1820 he removed to a farm and died in 1835. In 1812
Beri Foote came to Lyons from Massachusetts, but soon located in the
northeast corner of Galen.
Samuel Hecox came here in 1817, and was a merchant and county
treasurer. Eli Hecox, his brother, was a carpenter and soldier in the
war of 1812, and located in Lyons in 1831. Another brother, Cyrus,
was a prominent merchant and tanner in the village. Cullen Foster
was a political! in his younger days, held several town offices, and was
both county sheriff and clerk. He died March 29, 1870. Smith A.
Dewey, born in Whitestown, N. Y., December 7, 1814, came to Lyons
in is:; 1 .), engaged in business as a merchant, and upon the death of John
Adams in 1862 was appointed county treasurer, to which office he was
elected in 1865 and again in 1868. He was highly esteemed, and died
in November, 1S75.
William Wallace Sandford, who came to Lyons in lsiiii, was first a
merchant and later proprietor of the Wayne Count} - Hotel. He was
supervisor in is.'):;, and died in April, L883. John Sparks, a farmer,
WAYNE COUNTY. 233
settled in this town in 1836 and died in June, L883. Stephen Marshall,
born in Connecticut in L807, removed to Lyons in L832. % He was a shoe-
maker and a lumberman, and was appointed one of three commissioners
to build the present court house. He died in April, L883. Nelson R.
Mirick was born in Rose in L831 and died here in March, 1886. He was
a miller and maltster, and served as supervisor several years. Dr. Hugh
Jameson, long- a practicing dentist in the village, was born here in L835
and died January 4, 1890.
Prominent among other early settlers of the village and town may be
mentioned E. G. Thurston, long a successful merchant, who died No-
vember 8, 1857; John Evenden, a native of Kent, Eng. , who died in
February, 1863; John Knowles, sr. , whose death occurred here No-
vember 10, 1864; Daniel Ford, who died May 2, 1861, and was buried
with Masonic honors; David June, who died April 6, 1861; George Al-
exander who died about 1820; John Layton, the father of Daniel W.,
who died in Feburary, 1885; George W. Cramer, merchant, who died
in May, 1882 ; Thomas Cotter, a tailor noted for his miserly habits ; who
died in March, 1886: John Riley (son of Rev. Lawrence Riley), wdio
died March 1, 1887; George M. Hatter, a prominent merchant here af-
ter 1851, who died in Januar}^, 1888; and Andrew Failing, Hugh Brown
and John Paton.
James Dunn purchased 418 acres of the Dorsey farm in 1834, and died
here in May, 1850. Alfred Hale settled at Alloway in 1823, and began
growing peppermint in 1832. In 1854 he built a small mint still, after
which he erected five or six others. In 1862 he formed a partnership
with a Mr. Parshall for the manufacture of essential oils in Lyons vil-
lage, and the firm built up an enormous business. In 1827 Mr. Hale
married a daughter of Levi Geer and has had three daughters and a son
(Alfred S. )
Hiram G. Hotchkiss, the founder of the great peppermint industry of
Wayne county, was born in Oneida county, N. Y. , June 10, 1810, and
moved to Phelps with his parents about 1817. His father, Leman, was
a merchant, and the son began life in the same business. He became
a miller, and in 1837 began buying peppermint from the farmers. In
1841 he removed to Lyons and devoted his entire attention to the
business. He married a daughter of Dr. Ashley and had twelve chil-
dren, of whom Lemon, Calvin, and Hiram G., jr., succeeded to the
business founded in Lyons by their father.
Dr. E. Ware Sylvester, born in Cazenovia, N. Y., in 1814, graduated
234 LANDMARKS OF
at Union College in 1836, and at Auburn Theological Seminar}- in 1840,
and after studying- dentistry practiced in Lyons and elsewhere for
twenty years. He finally abandoned his profession and established the
The first grist mill in the town was built at Alloway about 1794 by
Henry Towar, agent for Captain Charles Williamson. John Featherly
was the miller here, and when the structure was burned in 1804 'Sir.
Towar rebuilt it on the same site. Subsecpient owners were George
Ennis, Lawrence Riley, and Isaac Roy. The next grist mill was the
one erected by Jacob Leach, one mile south of Lyons. In 1825 Samuel
Hecox, Milton Barney, and William E. Perrine built a large mill in
Lyons village on the site of the Shuler flouring mill and cut a raceway
to it from Canandaigua outlet. It had four runs of stone, and the first
miller was Philip Dorscheimer. The mill was burned about 1870 and
the present one erected. In L823 Henry Towar built a flouring mill
four miles west of the village. It passed to William Young, and lacking
a sufficient water supply was taken down and the frame brought to
Lyons. The Leach mill on the outlet was finally burned and rebuilt by
Mr. Towar, and passed into the hands of Shuler Brothers.
The first saw mill was built by John Perrine in 1880. It stood one
mile south of the village, on the west side of Canandaigua outlet, and
after running several ) T ears was dismantled. Simeon Van Wickle had
another early mill three miles northwest of Lyons village, but both mill
and stream have long since passed away. Judge Dorsey built a saw
mill near the Shuler flouring mill, which in 1825 was removed to a better
water power. Henry Towar erected several saw mills in various parts
of the town.
About 1810 Gabriel Rogers erected in Lyons village a tannery, which
he operated for twenty years. Samuel Minkler built a second one on
Water street, and Cyrus Hecox a third. The latter was purchased by
the Rogers brothers. Among other tanners here were Colonel Bartlett
R. Rogers, Henry Teachout, and E. P. Taylor.
Numerous distilleries existed in the town at an early day, notably
that of Jacob Leach, which was built in 1810 at the junction of the out-
let with Ganargwa Creek. Joseph Farwell had another on the site of
the old warehouse in Lyons village.
Henry Towar and Thomas Beals erected a clothicry at Alloway on
the west side of the outlet at an early day, and Milton Barney and Judge
Dorsey had another in Lyons village. Mr. Barney did an extensive
WAYNE COUNTY. 335
business in this line for man} 7 years. He married a daughter of Judge
Dorsey. The first ashery started in Lyons was operated by a Mr.
Hessinger west of the Lutheran church. Others were conducted by
Joseph Farwell and Robert Holmes.
In 1822 William Clark & Company built a pottery in Lyons village
that was managed by T. Harrington. It passed to Thompson & Har-
rington and later to J. Fisher & Company.
In 1858 the town had 15,917 acres improved land, real estate valued
at $1,355,531, personal property at $313,050; there were 2,(304 male and
2,601 female inhabitants, 874 dwellings, (376 freeholders, 978 families,
13 school districts, 1,849 school children, 1,320 horses, 1,610 cows, 7,722
sheep, and 2,406 swine. There were produced 27,357 bushels winter
and 134,753 bushels spring wheat, 3,430 tons hay, 17,473 bushels pota-
toes, 51,526 bushels apples, 89,472 pounds butter, 4,128 pounds cheese,
and 660 yards domestic cloths.
In 1890 the town had a population of 6,228, or 466 less than in 1880.
Statistics of 1893: Assessed value of land, $882,107 (equalized $1,054,-
381); village and mill property, $1,221,600 (equalized $1,204,192); rail-
roads and telegraphs, equalized, $430,209; personal property, $301,750.
Schedule of taxes, 1893: Contingent fund, $6,152.53; town poor fund,
$2,200; roads and bridges, $250; special town tax, $3,107; school tax,
$2,741.61; county tax, $6,559.61; State tax, $3,614.70; State insane tax,
$932,52; dog tax, $111.50. Total tax levy, $27,071.06; rate per cent.,
.00982474. The town has five election districts and in 1893 polled 1,175
During the war of the Rebellion the town of Lyons contributed large
numbers of her brave citizens for the Union Army and gave liberally
of both money and supplies to aid the soldiers and ameliorate their
condition at the front. Being the shire town of Wayne county many of
the more important events that transpired during that long struggle
occurred within these borders, and all are properly detailed in a preced-
The first school house in Lyons village and probably the first in town
was a primitive structure that stood on the hill on the west side of
Butternut street, at the head of Queen. It was there as early as 1804
or 1805, but was burned soon afterward. In June, 1813, the town was
divided into twelve school districts; J. W. Gillispie and John Brown
were school commissioners. Another school house was built of logs on
the northeast corner of the Presbyterian church lot, and a third school
236 LANDMARKS OF
was kept in the old Glover house in L808-9, while a fourth was held in
an old building where the German church now stands. Still another
was situated on Church street, and was purchased by the Catholics for
a house of worship. Among the earlier teachers in the various schools
wore: Thomas Rogers, Capt. James Hill, Mr. Fuller, Andrew Hull,
Mr. Trowbridge, Mr. Starr, and Rev. Jeremiah Flint. At Alloway
schools were opened at an early day, and two of the first teachers were
Rev. Mr. Flint and Abner Brown. In L852 a large brick school house
was erected and the first teachers therein were Professor Ballon and
Miss Julia Dorsey. In L833 Miss Clarissa Thurston opened a "School
for Young Ladies" on Geneva street, nearly opposite the old Joppa
House. She finally discontinued it and went to Geneva.
March -.".), L837, the Lyons Academy was incorporated, and was
merged into the present school on September 23, L843,by the organiza-
tion of Union school district No. G. At the meeting held on that day
Jacob Leach was chosen moderator; John M. Holley, Eli Johnson, and
Jabez Green, trustees; and Daniel Chapman, clerk. In 1S44 the Ver-
non lot was purchased and a brick building, containing seven rooms,
was' erected at a total cost of over $10,000. There were four grades of
study, and the first term, which opened the new structure on May 4,
LS45, was attended by 519 pupils. The first teachers were Nathan Brit-
tan, A. M., principal; E. B. Elliott, A. B., Mr. DeliaRogers, M. C. G.
Nichols, Miss Hermans, Mrs. L. G. Blount, Miss E. H. Allen, Mrs.
E. W. Redgrave, Miss Cornelia Ilaight, Levi S. Fulton, William C.
Wright, and M. M. Rodgers, M. D. July 6, 1847, it was decided to
purchase the Newell Taft lot adjoining and erect an addition, and $5,000
were voted for the purpose. The new building contained, besidesother
rooms, a laboratory, a geological cabinet, and a chapel, and the whole,
including furnishings, etc., cost about about $14,000. In 1855 the school
house was repaired at an expense of $2,000, and the school was placed
1>y legislation under the regulations governing incorporated academies.
December 7, L855, a project was considered to make the school free,
but resulted adversely, and on December 19th a committee was ap-
pointed to procure a law changing the hoard of trustees to a board of
education and authorize graduate tuition. The law was passed and took
effect in May, L856. The new board consisted of Saxon B. Gavitt, J. T.
Mackenzie, Morton Brownson, Lyman Sherwood, Zebulon Moore, C.
Rice, George W. Cramer, A. I). Polhamus, and William 11. Sisson. In
1 sc,o the number was reduced to three, and another grade was established.
WAYNE COUNTY. •_>:•,;
In December, 1862, a free school system was adopted and legislation
secured for the purpose. In L865 a German department was added with
Jacob T. Eitelman as teacher.
July 25, 1889, the citizens voted in favor of building a new school
house, and on October 10th ground was formally broken and the corner
stone laid by William Kreutzer, president of the board, for the present
handsome and commodious brick and stone structure. Joseph Blab}-
was the architect and the contract was let to William C. Long for $ II,
500, the heating and ventilating to cost $5,500 more. The new building
was opened November 21, 1890. The principals of the old school, with
the dates of their service, were as follows.
Nathan Brittan, May, 1845, to February, 1840; John T. Clark, Feb-
urary, 1849, to July, 1851 ; Rev. Win. A. Benedict, August, 1851, to July,
1854; Francis B. Snow, August, 1854, to July, 1858; Howard M. vSmith,
August, 1858, to July, 1800; William Kreutzer, August, I860, to No-
vember, 1801; James C. Benschotten, November, 1861, to July, 1862;
Cicero M. Hutchins, September, 1802, to July, I860; Alexander D. Adams,
September, 1866, to April, 1871; Edward A. Kingsley, April, 1871, to
July, 1873; Timothy A. Roberts, September, 1873, to April, 1870; Rev.
Wndiam H. Lord, July, 1870, to July, 1877; J. B. Fraser, September,
1877, to April, 1878; J. H. Clark, July, 1878, to July, 1887; William
G. White, July, 1887, to August, 1888; W. H. Kinney, August, 1888.
The Lyons Union school was one of the first of the kind established in
this State. It has always maintained a foremost position among simi-
In December, 1853, the Lyons Musical Academy was started by Rev.
L. H. vSherwood and for many years was a prominent feature of the
village. It gained a wide and respectable reputation and offered rare
advantages to those desiring a musical education. Rev. Mr. Sherwood's
successor was O. H. Adams. Both were eminent teachers and thorough
scholars. Its popularity waned, however, and the institution was dis-
continued a few years ago. Its last home on Queen street was built
during the winter of 1881-2, and first occupied in April, 1882.
The town now has thirteen school districts with a building in each.
In 1892-3 these were attended by 1,348 scholars and taught by thirty-
two teachers. The value of school houses and sites is $72,575 ; assessed
valuation of the districts, $2,751,300; public money received from the
State in 1802-3, $4,986.49; raised by local tax, $14,253.63.
238 LANDMARKS OP
Lyons Village. — The capital of any county naturally takes precedence
over all other villages, and Lyons is no exception to the rule. In this
case we have not only the county seat to notice, but a place rich in his-
tory, interesting in growth and development, replete in commercial,
social, and manufacturing' importance, attractive in location, and the
very oldest in settlement. The improvements inaugurated by Capt.
Charles Williamson, through his agent, Charles Cameron, and many of
the earlier industries have already been noted in this chapter. William-
son bestowed upon the place the name of Lyons, and caused a village to
be surveyed in acre lots and a warehouse, distiller} - , dwelling, and barn
to be built — all in 1704 or 1795. This dwelling was the first frame
building erected in the town. It was also used as a storehouse and was
finally purchased by the Presbyterians, removed to lot No. 1, and oc-
cupied for both religious and school purposes. In it, on October 23,
L809, the Presbyterian Society was organized; in May, 1823, the first
court in Wayne county convened ; and the first meeting of the Wayne
County Medical Society was held here after its formation. In 18\'."> it
was sold to Francis Glover, who removed it to the north side of Jackson
street, west of the furnace, and occupied it for a dwelling. From him
it derived the name of Glover house.
The first tavern was that of John Riggs in 1800. William Gibbs had
another soon afterward. The latter was a log structure, and to it James
Otto subsequently put up a frame addition. Gibbs was succeeded as
landlord by Joseph Hathaway, and then came T. D. Gale, Colonel Elias
Hull, and Judge Camp, who discontinued it as a hotel. Hull w r as a
colonel in the State militia, commanding the 71st Regiment, and the
tavern became a favorite rendezvous. It was long known as the "Old
Museum." The second tavern was the dwelling of William Nelson on
the corner of Broad and Water streets. Major Ezekiel Price added a
frame to it in 180G, and built a barn a few rods east. In 1810 he erected
a frame hostelry on the site of Congress Hall, and the old stand again
became a dwelling. In 1819 Price's tavern was conducted by his son,
David C, who died in 1824, when it was leased to Evan, Griffiths &
Needham. E. B. Price later became landlord and changed the name to
the Wayne County Hotel. He was succeeded by Mr. Sprague, and the
latter by Philip Dorscheimer. About 1 SOS the old building was torn
down and the present Congress Hall erected on the site.
In 1821 the Joppa Land Company, consisting of Myron Holley, Gen.
William H. 'Adams, and Augustine H. Lawrence, purchased the John
WAYNE COUNTY. 239
Riggs farm of about 300 acres in the eastern part of the village, and had
the tract surveyed into building lots by David H. Vance. They creeled
a two story frame tavern on the corner of William and Montezuma
streets, and the first landlord was Major Woolsey, whose successors were
Messrs. vSatterlee, Joseph Judson, Josiah Wright, Philip Dorscheimer,
and Jarvis Landon. The latter added a third story. In 1854 Henry
Graham became proprietor and gave it the name of Graham House.
In 1817 Samuel Minkler built on the site of the Hotel Baltzel a dwelling
house which he sold about 1825 to George Benton, who converted it
into a tavern and continued as landlord until 1854:, when is was pur-
chased by Cogswell & Boice. In 1858 Louis Studer became poprietorr
and leased it to a Mr. Payne, and in 1868 sold the property to Archibald
Walrath. With the Lutheran church it was burned April 20, 1885. For
many years it was known as the Exchange Hotel, and on its site the pres-
ent brick Hotel Baltzel was erected in 1888 and opened in April, 1889.
Lyons, in 1808. contained two taverns, a store, a school house, a
tailor, saddler, shoemaker, and blacksmith, and religion had made a be-
ginning in the hands of two societies. Prior to 1811 the survey of
Lyons was into acre lots, and its bounds were comprised as follows:
south lay the Clyde River, east was William street, west was Butternut
street, and northward the streets met at an angle. Broad street, run-
ning north and south, was the principal street. Cross streets were laid
out and bore the names of Water, Pearl, Church, and Queen. In 1811
Evert Van Wickle allotted the village into building lots.
The first merchants in Lyons village were Judge Daniel Dorsey and
Major Ezekiel Price. Jacob Leach built and opened a store on Water
street in 1812, and had for a clerk and then a partner Joseph M.
Demmon. Stephen M. Palmer started a store on the corner of Church
and Broad streets in 1816, and the next year was succeeded by Cyrus
Hecox, who located on the corner of Broad and Water streets in 1818.
On one of the corners the first brick building in the village was erected
in 1815 and occupied as a grocery by C. B. Ryan. The brick were made
on the John Perrine farm. In the second story the second newspaper
(the Republican) in Lyons was printed in 1821 by George Lewis. The
building was burned February 3, 1881. On the southwest of these
corners Giles Jackson built a small brick store and kept it until 1820,
when he sold out and moved away. Samuel Hecox opened a store on
the east side of Broad street, but soon removed to Buffalo. About 1822
Eli Blair became a merchant here; he and his wife died the same day
240 LANDMARKS OF
(in L831) in the same house, and were buried in the same grave. In
L822 the Joppa Company built a store on the north side of the canal,
and also a 1 trick building on the south side. Other earl)' merchants
were: Smith & Northrop, Seth Smith, John Berkaw, Capt. John S. hie,
John Adams, Jonas Towar, William Hash ford (the first lock grocery-
man), and Clark Bartlett, sr. Among- the earlier jewelers were La Salle
(in L821 ), W. D. Perrine (father of D. K.), and David Adams.
The first blacksmith was Samuel Mummy, on Broad street, whose suc-
cessor was Alexander Beard (prior to L808). Then came Peter Hanker-
son, fohn Croul, Samuel Androus, Henry Seymour, and others.
In I sns Samuel Minkler came to Lyons and built a log tannery. Fi-
nally he tore it down, filled up his vats, and erected a frame house. At
one time he owned about all the land north of Water street and west of
Broad. John C. Kingsbury was an early shoemaker. In 1810 Deacon
John Gilbert started the first cabinet shop, and about L840 engaged in
manufacturing fanning mills, which at one time attained extensive pro-
portions. Subsequent manufacturers of fanning mills were H. W. Put-
ney. Adam Schattner, and Stephen Van Wickle. Zalmon Rice also
prosecuted the business and built the "Center building," in which he
had a store. In 18 Hi Newell Taft and Farnum White began making-
chairs. Later Taft and Henry Seymour engaged in manufacturing
plows, probably the first in Wayne county. Air. Taft also brought and
set up the first steam engine in the town. In 1866 the property passed
to Wicksoq & Van Winkle, and in 1869 the buildings were burned. A
large brick structure was at once erected, and the establishment took
the name of the Lyons Agricultural Works.
The second issue of the Lyons Republican, dated August 10, L821,
published by George Lewis "in the new brick block on the bank of the
canal," contains the following local advertisements: George H. McClary,
cash paid for flax seed; notice of annual meeting of the stockholders of
the Montezuma Turnpike and Bridge Company, Peter Clarke, secretary;
G. Butler, notice to delinquent debtors to settle; Webster & Stiles, hats,
etc.; Frisbee & Pierpont, notice to settle; E. Price, postmaster, adver-
tised letters; and T. Martin, tailor and habit maker.
William Vorhees became a cabinet maker here about L810. The first
livery stable was opened by Nehemiah Sprague and J. M. Demmon in
L834. Deacon Eli Johnson engaged in the tailoring business prior to
L820and died in L850. The first hay scales were placed in the alley be-