tween Congress Hall and the liver}- stable by Samuel Hecox, About
(£-J - sZ xvC^^cx£3He_^ //
WAYNE COUNTY. 241
L830 Leach & Demmon erected a brewery on Water street near the
canal bridge. The establishment was finally destroyed by fire. An-
other brewery was started by George Brock & Co. Among the malt
houses that have formed an important feature of the village are those
operated by the Mirick Brothers. The first omnibus in the village was
brought by H. Warren in August, 1853. In 182G Gilbert & Avery built
a Masonic hall on the corner of Broad and Church streets. It finally
passed to John Clapp, and in 1862 was purchased by H. G. Hotchkiss,
by whom it was torn down. The first 4th of July celebration in Lyons
occurred in 1820. Judge Jewell was president of the clay and Graham
H. Chapin the orator. A band was formed in 1830. From 1840 to 1855
Holloway's band flourished, and in the latter year a brass band was or-
ganized. As early as 1810 a circulating library was instituted, of which
Judge Dorsey was president, Major Ezekiel Price librarian, and John
Perrine solicitor. The latter collected about 200 volumes and pam-
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
phlets on religion, and 200 more on history and biography. About a
dozen years afterward the collection disappeared.
Among the institutions in the village in 1833 were the Yellow tavern.
John W. Denton, proprietor, who succeeded Joseph W. Demmon; Leach
mill, adjoining the wool-carding and cloth-dressing establishment, all
of which were burned in 1836; Bashford's cooper shops; Jacob Leach,
Edwin B. Leach, Charles Allen, Samuel Androus, Zalmon Rice, Albert
J. Hovey, Jonas S. Towar, John W. Berkaw, John Adams, and W. F.
& Robert Holmes, jr., dry goods; Eli & Benjamin Johnson, tailors;
Miles S. Leach, Foster & Wright, and Flavel Crosby (successor to Al-
len & Yarrington), drugs ; Henry Baltzel, boots and shoes ; Lewis Groat,
Stephen Marshall, George Croul, Deacon Abner Brown and John C.
Kingsbmy, shoe shops; Exchange Hotel, George Benton, proprietor;
Wayne County Hotel, Reuben H. Foster, proprietor; Lyons Hotel,
Philip Dorscheimer, proprietor; Joppa House, Chauncey Burnett, pro-
prietor; Daniel Watrous, wagon shop; B. T. & James Rogers, tannery;
" Old Museum," formerly a tavern; Newell Taft, furnace; fanning mill
manufacturers; Waite & Lyman and John Smock, cabinet shops; Nehe-
miah Sprague, livery; Bryant R. Houghton and John O. Vorse, jewel-
ers; William Sisson, Graham H. Chapin, John M. Holley, and Adams
& Jameson, lawyers; Dr. Carlisle aud Jeremiah B. Pierce, physicians;
Abel Lyman and William Voorhies, justices of the peace; H. G. Dicker-
son, hat shop; William Bashford, Clark Bartlett, and David Adams,
canal groceries; John Croul, Robert Hull, Thomas Wafer, and James
McElwain, blacksmiths; Robert Holmes, ashery; Uriah Roraback, lot-
tery office; George \V. Liscomb, grocery and dram shop; Beaumont &
Stafford, hardware; Jonas \V. Goodrich, grocery; Miss Caswell and
Amanda Smith, milliners; Chester Vale, tin shop.
The first physician was Dr. Prescott, and among his successors were
Drs. Willis, William Ambler, Ashley, Pierce, Varnum, Peck, Jackson,
Teachout, Bottom, Vosburgh, David, Gillette, S. D. Sherman, T. H.
Avery, Miss Burroughs, and others.
William Sisson was the first resident lawyer. ( )ther early attorneys
have been William Hough, J. S. Stewart, Ezra Jewell, Gen. William H.
Adams, John S. Talmadge, Graham H. Chapin, John M. Holley, and
William Van Marter, Lyman Sherwood, and Wm. Clark.
The Lyons advertisers in the Wayne County Whig of 1841 were: S.
D. Crane, cabinet ware; William X. Cole, building lots for sale; Dwight
Foster, saddles and harness; Sanford & Sisson, Dr. Mason, William
Hewlett, and F.White, drugs; J. W. F.Rice, dentist; Edward Cooper,
Eastern Entrance into Lyons. — From an old print, 1840.
A 11., classical and commercial boarding scl I; Bank of Lyons, Thad-
deus W. Patchin, cashier.
In 1852, besides the above, there were D. Wilder, restaurant; Mrs.
C. H. Decker and Mrs. E. C. Cosart, milliner)'; A. Hays, ready-made
clothing; Rice & Whitman and Dickerson & Mundy, hats and furs; P.
A. Gebhard, lumberyard; C. R. Rudd & Sons, books; E. B. Price &
Sons, wooden and willow ware, etc.; E. Ware Sylvester, dentist ; S.
WAYNE COUNTY. 243
Weed, daguerreotypes; J. & P. Walters, undertakers; Edward Ray,
boots and shoes; W. W. Wormwood, watches and jewelry; William
Van Marter, lawyer, and village lots tor sale; S. H. Klinek, dry goods;
Bradish iV- Bourne, hardware; H. G. Hotehkiss, wanted, 40,000 bushels
The Lyons post-office was established in 1807 and the first postmaster
was Maj. Ezekiel Price, who held the position about thirty years. He
took the contract to carry the mails to Geneva, a task his son, E. Bar-
ton Price, performed from 1811 to 1820. Subsequent postmasters were
Messrs. Reuben H. Foster, Poucher, Watrous, Dr. Ashley, Street}-,
Hano, Ellis, Van Etten, and Hough. The present incumbent is Dan-
iel B. Teller, who succeeded F. C. Zimmerlin.
Lyons village was incorporated April 18, 1854, and its limits were
legally designated as follows :
Commencing at a point 320 rods directly south of the center of the
hall of the court-house now being erected in said town; then west 320
rods ; thence due north 640 rods ; thence due east 640 rods ; thence south
a like distance; and thence west 320 rods to the place of beginning,
shall hereafter continue to be known by the name of the village of Lyons.
The charter was amended May 8, 1884. The first charter election
was held May 8, 1854, and the following officers were chosen: De Witt
W. Parshall, president; Aaron Remsen, Miles S. Leach, Stephen S.
Herrick, John T. Denniston, William H. Sisson, trustees; Philip Althen,
treasurer; John H. Spencer, clerk; Sylvester Wilder, constable; Mar-
cellus J. Goddard, collector; John Lawton, John M. Pickett, Hernando
C. Mead, assessors; John Knowles, jr. , chief engineer. The presidents
of the village have been : D. W. Parshall, 1854-55; Saxon B. Gavitt,
1856; D. W. Parshall, 1857-58; Amos Harrington, 1859-60; Henry
Graham, 1861; E. P. Taft, 1862; N. R. Mirick, 1863-64; H. J. Leach,
1865-66; George W. Cramer, 1867-68; S. A. Jones, 1869-70; S. C.
Searle, 1870; James Rogers, 1871; George W. Cramer, 1872; George
W. Knowles, 1873; R. J. Patterson, 1874; Hon. Van R. Richmond,
1875; George H. Shuler, 1876; M. C.Tucker, 1877; M. H. Dillenbeck,
1878; C. Hotehkiss, 1879; E. G. Leonard, 1880; De Witt P. Foster,
1881; William G. Rogers, 1882; H. W. Evans, 1883; Milton E. Mirick,
1884; R. A. Hubbard, 1885; Robert Smith, L886; J. W. Putnam, iss; :
Seymour Scott, 1888; J. W. Putnam, L889-92; G. AY. Koester, L893;
L. M. Blakely, 1894.
The village officers for 1894 are as follows :
244 LANDMARKS OF
L. M. Blakely, president; J. S. Jordan, vice-president; E. D. Bourne,
clerk ; Charles Boeheim, R. F. Forgham, J. S. Jordan, James McNamara,
H. F. Myers, Theodore Schlee, trustees; Joseph McCall, treasurer; A.
C. Brooks, street commissioner; Azor Culver, collector-; R. J. Patter-
son, police justice; John Knoblock, D. L. Stanley, P. J. Stephens, as-
In 1827 or 8 a fire engine, "Dart," was purchased forabout $300 and
a company was organized with John Adams as foreman. Another crank
engine was procured soon afterward; a third was the " Ganargwa " and
a fourth was the "Eagle." A frame engine house was erected on the
site of the present No. 1, and being sold finally to John Pulse was re-
moved and converted into a dwelling. In 1871 a Silsby steamer was
purchased and in 1872 the present brick engine house and village hall
was built at a cost of $5,000. The fire department now consists of Ly-
ons Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1, E. D. Bourne, foreman; Independent
I lose Co. No. 1, Karl Martin, foreman; Steamer Hose Co. No. 2; Act-
ive Llose Co. No. 3, Harry Zimmerman, foreman; M. C. Tucker Hose
Co. No. 4; and J. S. Jordan Hose Co. No. 5. The officers are B. W.
Mirick, chief; D. E. Engel, first assistant ; Morgan Taylor, second as-
The Lyons Gas Light Company was incorporated January 25, 1859,
and gas was supplied for lighting purposes soon afterward. The works
are located south of the canal on Water street.
In August, 1884, a franchise was granted Barton, Morgan & Reynolds
to lay water mains through the streets and establish a water system, but
they failed to comply with the regulations. In June, 1886, a similar
franchise was granted the Lyons Water Works Company, of which Cor-
nelius J. Ryan was president; John H. Camp, vice-president; De Witt
P. Foster, secretary; Alexander H. Towar, treasurer; andW. S. Parker, '
chief engineer. Active work commenced August 18, 1886. A well
eighteen feet in diameter and twenty feet deep was sunk on theWalrath
property on Layton street, a steel stand pipe was erected on the summit
of Sturges hill, and the system placed in operation in January, 1887.
The Lyons Electric Light and Power Company was organized June
15, L889, with Samuel Scott, president; J. W. Dunwell, vice-president;
J. W. Van Etten, secretary; William N. Deady, treasurer; and with a
eapital of $45,000. An excellent system of lighting was inaugurated,
and the facilities have been increased from time to time as occasion
WAYNE COUNTY. 245
The Lyons Board of Trade was organized February 25, 1889, with
these officers: E. G. Leonard, 'president ; C. K. Robinson, vice-presi-
dent; W. G. David, secretary; W. S. Gavitt, treasurer. Through this
efficient organization several manufacturing industries have been in-
duced to locate in Lyons, notably that of the Manhattan Silver Plate
Company in 1889.
Several attempts have been made to organize and establish street
railroads in Lyons, but the clashing of individual interests have hitherto
prevented a consummation of the enterprise.
The Bank of Lyons was chartered May 14, 1836, with a capital of
$200,000, the commissioners being John Adams, James P. Bartle, Jacob
Leach, Byram Green, Elias Y. Munson, Lyman Sherwood, and Hiram
Jenkins. The first officers were: Reuben H. Foster, president, and a
Mr. Bigelow, cashier; the latter was succeeded by William H. Lacey.
The bank was opened about July 15, in the Center building, and in 1838
George G. Kingman obtained control. He moved to Black Rock in
1839, leaving the concern in a crippled condition, and in 1842 it failed,
at which time Thaddeus W. Patchen was cashier. The building was
converted into the Bank Hotel in 1881.
The Lyons National Bank was incorporated as the Palmyra Bank of
Wayne County in December, 1843; the name was changed to theL)^ons
Bank, March 31, 1857. The originators were : DeWittW. Parshall and
Peter R. Westfall. In 1865 it became a national bank and adopted its
present title with a capital of $150,000. The first officers were: D. W.
Parshall, president; M. T. Tucker, cashier; and J. V. D. Westfall,
William Sisson and Daniel Chapman established a private banking
business at an early day. Mr. Sisson finally withdrew and Mr. Chap-
man continued alone until about 1860.
In 1859 Westfall's Bank was incorporated with Peter R. Westfall as
president, and B. Van Alstine as cashier, who were succeeded by Caleb
O. Rice and Jacob Westfall respectively. The bank failed in March,
1868, owing $100,000 to depositors.
Gavitt & Murdock opened a bank and continued a partnership for a
time. Murdock withdrew, aud S. B. Gavitt removed to his present
location on William street.
Hiram and Nelson Mirick and Samuel L. Cole opened a bank in
Gavitt & Murdock's old quarters, and were succeeded by John L. Cole,
who still conducts the business under the Union Bank of Lyons.
246 LANDMARKS OF
J. A'. D. Westfall established a private bank a few years since and
still conducts a large business.
The Parshall Opera House, erected to the memory of Hon. De Witt
Parshall, who died May 12, 18&0, was formally opened April 20, 1883.
In 1873 there were shipped from this point 301,507 bushels of apples,
besides large quantities of other produce. In 1888 the village contained
1,657 stores and residences exclusive of shops and unoccupied buildings.
The population in L890 was 4,175, an increase of 055 since 1880.
Alloway is a small hamlet in the south part of the town, east of the
Canandaigua outlet. It was formerly a place of considerable im-
portance and maintained an enviable prestige up to the construction of
the Erie Canal. Since then its business has declined and sought a more
populous center. In about K!>4 Captain Henry To war as agent for
Captain Williamson erected a saw mill, a grist mill, and two stores.
The mills were burned in 1804. Captain Towar was a native of Alloa,
Scotland, and gave to this place the name it has ever borne. He died
in 1846. Among the old-time merchants were: Roys & Shattuck,
Alexander Hays, Dr. L. C. Grover (who was also a postmaster),
Simeon Haynes (who with Dr. Grover had an ashery), and Thomas
Payne. Captain John Albangh built and kept the first tavern. He was
also a blacksmith, and was succeeded as landlord by Stephen Young,
Nicholas Hooper, Thomas Payne, and the latter's sons William and
Thomas, jr. Dr. Grover was the first physician. The post-office was
discontinued several years ago.
Churches. — For a number of years a Methodist Episcopal Church
flourished at Alloway, but the society finally became weak in numbers,
disbanded, and their edifice was sold to Alfred Hale, by whom it was
The first religious services in the town were held by Rev. John Cole,
a Methodist preacher, in 1707, and the founders of the present church
of this denomination in the village were Rev. John Cole, Daniel Dor-
scv, Richard Jones, James Walters, Nicholas and William Stansell,
James ( )tto, and George Carr. Added to these as early members were
Mrs. Samuel Bennett, Mrs. George Carr, Mrs. Eleanor Dorsey and sons
Andrew, Thomas E., and Nelson, and daughters Deborah, Delia, Eliza-
beth, and Lydia, Mrs. Ann Cole, Ann Cole (sister of John Cole), Mary
and Joseph Cole, Mrs. Sarah Jones, William Jones, Mrs. Elizabeth
Coats, William Wiles, Peter Walker, William Sampson and sons Thomas
and Henry, George Alexander and wife Margaret, and William Jones.
WAYNE COUNTY. 247
About L803 a lot, on which stood a log house, was purchased, and the
building, fitted up, became the first stated place of worship in the town.
It was built by George Carr for a dwelling, and in size was twenty by
thirty feet. It stood on Broad street north of Church, and was two
stories high. The first minister was Rev. Mr. Cole, who died in 1808.
The Methodist Episcopal Union Church of Lyons was incorporated
May 15, 1809, with Lawrence Riley, Daniel Dorsey, Richard Jones,
Nicholas Stansell, and William Wiles, trustees ; Richard Jones, clerk.
This was the parent church of all those within the present conference.
August 10, 1810, it was decided to sell the old meeting house and apart
of the lot, and build a new edifice. Subscriptions amounting to $744
were secured, and in 1813 another church was opened, but remained un-
finished till about 1818. It fronted Broad street, and was used for
twenty-one years, the last sermon in it being preached by Rev. Thomas
Carlton. In 1834 a new building was completed and dedicated at a cost
of $6,000, and in it Rev. Samuel Luckey delivered the first sermon. It
stood on the site of the present edifice, and the building committee con-
sisted of Eli Johnson, Joseph Cole, and Daniel Watrous. Mr. Johnson
was superintendent of the Sunday school for twenty-four years. Thomas
Rooke and wife were active members of the church, and at their deaths
left endowments of $2,000 and $4,000, respectively. In 1850 the old
building was torn down and the present brick structure erected on the
site, the building committee being Stephen Marshall, Samuel J. Cole,
andGilbert Van Marter. It was repaired in 1875 at an expense of about
$6,000, and reopened January 6, 1876. The society has about 300 mem-
bers under the pastoral charge of Rev. M. S. Wells.
The First Presbyterian Church of Lyons was originally formed at the
house of John Riggs on the 2d of January, 1800, at which time John
Taylor, John Perrine, and John Van Wickle, sr. , were chosen to act as
trustees. The legal organization did not take place, however, until Oc-
tober 23, 1809, when the following became constituent members of the
First Presbyterian Society: John and Mary Perrine, John and Anna
Gault, William and Abigail Alfred, Henry Pitcher, Lydia, wife of Law-
rence Hessinger, Matthew Clark, John, John R. , and Simon Van Wickle,
Peter and Anna Perrine, John Riggs, Thomas and Margaret Peacock,
William and Nelly Paton, Anna, wife of Ezekiel Price, and Abraham
and Mary Romyen. The organizer was Rev. John Lindsley. Octo-
ber 27 John Perrine and Abraham Romyen were elected elders, and Rev.
John Stuart supplied the church until 1811, when Rev. Francis Pom-
248 LANDMARKS OF
eroy began his ministerial labors. He was regularly installed the first
pastor July 29, 1814, and remained until February 1, 1825. Their first
stated place of worship was an old storehouse on Broad street, which
was purchased and moved to the "lot set apart for gospel purposes."
February IT, 1824, the trustees were instructed "to build a new meet-
ing house that will cost not less than $3,000 nor more than $5,000."
The old church was sold, and the new one completed about 1825, in
which year Rev. Lucas Hubbell became pastor and remained until 1839.
Then came Rev. Ira Ingraham till 1848, when Rev. Charles Hawley
took charge. The present edifice was begun in March, 1849, and com-
pleted within the year. The old church was sold to the German Luth-
erans and destroyed by fire April 20, 1885. The present pastor is Rev.
L. A. Ostrander, D.D. The society has about 425 members.
Grace Episcopal Church of Lyons was organized by Rev. John A.
Clark on August 14, and legally incorporated on August 25, 1826, as
St. Paul's Church. The first officers were: Thomas Forbes and James
Agett, wardens; and Gen. William H. Adams, John Adams, J, B.
Pierce, Henry Ferrington, Joseph Hall, Benjamin Raney, Alexander
Hays, and Graham H. Chapin, vestrymen. Rev. Mr. Clark was the
first rector and continued his services until 1828, after which no record
exists relative to this parish. August 13, 1838, at a meeting held in the
court house, the society was reorganized and given its present name,
the first officers being Richard Bushnell and James Agett, wardens;
and William H. Adams, Reuben H. Foster, G. C. Kingman, W. H.
Lacey. J. H. Towar, D. McDonald, and H. Jameson, vestrymen. Rev.
Samuel Cooke was elected rector and remained until September, 1843,
when he was succeeded by Rev. Montgomery Schuyler. In 1839 the
present lot was purchased and a church edifice built. It is of stone, and
was consecrated in 1840 by Rt. Rev. Bishop W. H. De Lancy, D.D. It
has since been enlarged to accommodate the membership, prominent
among whom were: Hiram Mann, M.D., A. D. Polhamus, W. N. Cole,
J. L. Jones, R. N. Armes, A. J. Hovey, L. B. Pierce, George K.
Perrine, D. Watrous, and Hon. Ambrose Spencer. In 1850 the rectory
was purchased and subsequently enlarged, towards which Abram E. M.
Cook contributed $400. Rev. Mr. Schuyler was followed as rector by
Rev. W. H. A. Bisscll (afterward bishop of Vermont) in 1845, Rev.
Mr. Wardwell in 1848, Rev. George M. Hills in 1851, Rev. W. A. Fiske
in 1853, Rev. Sidney Wilbur in L859, Rev. W. W. Montgomery in 1861,
Rev. William H. Williams in L867, and others. The present rector is
WAYNE COUNTY. 249
Rev. J. R. Harding". Among the memorials placed in the church arc-
windows to Dr. Hiram Mann and family, and Mr. and Mrs. Nathan
Parshall (parents of Hon. Ue Witt Parshall), and tablets to Hon
Ambrose Spencer and John Adams. The parish has about 260 com-
The First Baptist Church of Lyons was organized at a very early day
and reorganized October 30, 1833, with fifty-eight members by Revs.
Norton and Barrett. Early meetings were held at a school house, at
Masonic hall, and at the court house until the erection of a church
edifice on William street. In 1834 Rev. Mr. Hosford became pastor,
and the Ripley house was secured as a parsonage. December 5, 1835,
the society was legally organized by the election of Nathaniel Mead,
John Mitchell, Moses Austin, Cullen Foster, and Hugh Jameson as
trustees. In 1840 a brick church edifice was begun and used until in
need of repairs, when it was leased to the Disciples. The society then
practically suspended, though meetings were held regularly, but was
subsequently revived and now has about ninety members under the
pastoral care of Rev. R. Osgood Morse.
The German Evangelical Lutheran Church of Lyons was organized
at the Kregar school house July 18, 1830, with nineteen members.
Meetings were held there and in the court house until 1832, when a
frame church was erected on Broad street on the subsequent site of
Deacon Gilbert's shop, the building committee being Louis Studer and
Philip and Dietrich Ehrhardt. In 1850 the society purchased the old
brick Presbyterian church, which was repaired, a basement built under
it, and an organ added at a cost of $1,800, and which was occupied until
April 20, 1885, when it burned. It was then valued at $6,000. The
present elegant brick edifice was then built on the site. The corner
stone was laid September 15, 1885, and the church was dedicated Sep-
tember 26, 1886, by Rev. J. H. Asbeck. The Sunday school was
organized in 1848. The first pastor was Rev. D. Willers, and among
his successors have been Revs. J. J. Bailharz, P. H. Dennler, C. A.
Ebert, Thomas Huschman,C. Berger,C. H. Thompson, F. L. Schoeppe,
J. Schmalzl, Charles G. Manz, and others. The society now has Ion
communicants under Rev. P. Spaeth as pastor.
The German church of the Evangelical Association of North America
of Lyons was formed as a class at the house of George Stoetzel in 1835,
by Rev. M. F. Mees, with the following members: George H. and Sa-
loma Ramige, Michael and Rosina Faulstich, George and Dorothea
250 LANDMARKS OF
Stoetzel, George and Catharine Humbert, George and Barbara Ramige,
and Philip Lang. The church met strong opposition for a period from
German people, to whom its tenets savored much of revolution. From
1835 to 1845 there was preaching by the Revs. M. F. Mees, J. Kehr, J.
Riegel, P. Henneberger, Christian Hummel, M. Lehn, D. Fisher, M.
Sindlinger, Christian Holl, and Fr. Kroecker. In 1840 the first German
camp meeting was held east of Lyons on the farm of Joseph Cole. The
Rev. John M. Sindlinger, presiding elder, had charge. The society
was regularly organized at the Pearl street school house in January,
1844, and soon afterward the present Catholic church was purchased and
fitted up for religious services. February 4, 1844, the society was in-
corporated, and Louis Schneider, Henry Miller, Fred. Hamm, Michael
Faulstich, and Philip Althen were chosen trustees. The next year a
Sabbath school was started with twenty scholars. In 1850 the old church
was sold to the Catholics, and the present edifice erected and dedicated
in December by Bishop Joseph Long. It is of stone and brick, two
stories high, and cost $6, 000. The lot on which it stands, on the corner
of Spencer and Hawley streets, was purchased of James and Rhoda
Agett for $500. In 1872 a parsonage was built on Hawley street. In
1875 the church was thoroughly repaired. Among the pastors have
been Levi Jacoby, William Mentz, Peter Alles, Theobald Schneider,
Werner Oetzel, David Fisher, August Klein, George Rott, Solomon
Weber, JohnSchaaf, A. Stoebe, Adolph Miller, John Grenzebach, Philip
J. Miller, Jacob Siegrist, Levi Jacoby, Michael Lehn, Andrew Holz-
warth, Adam Schlenk, David Fisher, Michael Pfitzinger, and others.
The society has about 170 members.
The Church of Christ of Lyons had its inception in a Sunday school
formed by Miss Addie Clapp in the fall of 1869. Missionary services
and this school were held in the then vacant Baptist Church, which was
leased in 1874 for five years at a rental of $500 annually. It was re-
paired, and opened on December 18 by Rev. A. B. Chamberlain. The
society was formally organized April 16, 1876, with thirty members, and
with Rev. A. S. Hale as pastor. It flourished for a time, but finally
weakened and disbanded.
St. Michael's Roman Catholic Church of Lyons was legally incorpor-
ated April 20, 1869, by Bishop McQuaid, Vicar-General James M. Early,
Rev. John P. Stewart, Patrick Miles, and John O'Keefe. Rev. Mr.
Stewart, the first pastor, was followed by Rev. Peter O'Connell, and in