George Washington Cowles.

Landmarks of Wayne County, New York online

. (page 28 of 107)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

father of Mrs. De Lancy Stow, born in 1803, came to Clyde in 1831, hat
dealer until 1877, became an Odd Fellow in 1845, died August S, 1881 :
Thomas Tipling, crockery dealer with his brother John, and under the
firm names of Tipling & Cockshaw and Tipling & Tuttle, died October
17, 1875; JohnG. Hood, druggist; George G. De Fancy, in business with
his brother Amos N., died October 31, 1878; Philip Mark De Zeng,
lumber and coal dealer, and predecessor of A. H. Holmes, recruited
and became major of Briggs Guards, 67th N. Y. Vols., son of Philip
N,, died April 19, 1888.

Adam Fisher, the youngest of fifteen children, was born in 1811,
learned the shoemaker's and glassblower's trades, came to Clyde in
L833, and died here September 11, IS!):!. His mother attained the age
of liil and his father 104 years. He conducted a tannery for a time in
company with S. Whitman, and later became a boot and shoe dealer.

Jacob Van Husk irk, born at Buskirk's Bridge, N. Y., in ls->:i, came to

Clyde in 1842, and died here in June, L891. He was a justice of the

ce twenty years, superintendent of the Sunday school from 1859 to

is; -J and an elder in that church from 1SUS until lsso, first lieutenant



WAYNE COUNTY. 361

of Co. B 111th N. V. Vols., and the first railroad ticket agent in Clyde
in 1854. His son, Albert M., was the first superintendent and engineer
of the Clyde water works, serving from the fall of L889 until Septem-
ber. L891.

Satnuel S. Briggs, born in Chatham, N. Y., in 1803, came to Galen
in 1835, and purchased 200 acres and subsequently 300 more. He was
one of the founders of Miller's Bank, the first financial institution in the
town, and in 1856 he organized the Briggs Bank of Clyde. He died
September 3, 1865, and was succeeded by his son Samuel H. The latter
was born here in 18-14. He was president of the Briggs National Bank
in Clyde, a founder and trustee of the Presbyterian Church, and moved
to Rochester in 1882, where he died August 8, 1894.

Adrastus Snedaker, born in 1813, moved with his parents to Sodus in
1813, came to Clyde in 1838, and for sixteen years was station agent for
the " Big Line " towing company. In 1858 he was elected sheriff, and
in that capacity hanged James Fee, March 23, 1860, the first and only
person ever put to death by law in Wayne county. James W. and Al-
bert L. Snedaker, his sons, served in the Rebellion, and in their mem-
ory the Snedaker Post, No. 173, G. A. R. of Clyde was named; this post
was organized in July, 1880, with thirty members.

Daniel Saxton, the father of Hon. Charles T. Saxton, was born on
Long Island in 1822, moved to Clyde in 1845, and died here in June,
1891. With A. F. Terry he engaged in the manufacture of coach lace
and harness. (See biographical department).

Prominent among settlers may be mentioned Jacob E. Tremper, gro-
ceryman, died May 7, 1881; James Armitage, for several years town
clerk, died April 14, 1881; Ernest Lux, cooper and coal dealer, died
November 12, 1891; E. Willard Sherman, born in Rose in 1833, drug-
gist and cooper, town clerk, secretary Galen Agricultural Society, eleven
years clerk of the Board of Supervisors, died February 23, 1889; Jere-
miah Greene, moved to Sodus with his parents in 1837, graduated from
Union College in 1858, came to Clyde in 1865, ruling elder in the Pres-
byterian Church eleven years, died in October, 188!); Peter F. Ryerson,
merchant and builder, died in September, 1888; Emory W. Gurnee,
born in Sodus in 1843, came to Clyde in 1864, town clerk, village treas-
urer six years, supervisor, member of assembly in 1873; Morgan Cook-
ingham, justice of the peace and county superintendent of the poor,
died at Lock Berlin in June, 1879; Samuel V. Bockhoven, born in New
Jersey in 1800, moved to Lyons while young, thence to Lock Berlin and



262 LANDMARKS OF

Clyde, died in July, 1876; Charles E. Elliott, banker, maltster, etc.,
died April s, L873; Captain William Graham, died in 185G, and his
widow February L5, L891 ; Fredus Chapman, died July 9, 1886; Captain
William Watters, first passenger conductor over the Niagara Falls branch
of the New York Central Railroad, ticket agent at the New York Cen-
tral depot in Clyde for twenty -four years from June, 1860, died April 20,
iss| ; Ira Wells, father of ex-member of assembly E. B. Wells, born in
1794, settled early in Sodus, removed to Lyons, died in April, 1882;
Henry Graham, jr., born in 1802, blacksmith, moved to Port Glasgow
in is;51 and kept hotel, came to Rose and later to Clyde, died October
17, 1878; N. B. Gilbert, father of W. H. Gilbert, settled in Lock Berlin
in 1837, town superintendent of schools, justice of the peace, carriage
manufacturer, died there in 1875. Barber Streeter, some time post-
master at Lock Berlin, died in February, 1890. Many others of equal
note are mentioned on subsequent pages and more fully in part 2d of
this volume.

The first school house at Lock Berlin, and probably the first in Galen,
was built of logs near Black Creek about 1814; its first teacher was John
Abbott. Some nine years later it was burned and another erected half
a mile east. About four years afterward the district school was divided
between Clyde and Lock Berlin, and this school house was abandoned
and a new one built in this village. The first school building in Marengo
was erected about 1816, the first teacher being Samuel Stone and the
second James McBride. In 1 sis the school is said to have had ninety
scholars and Joseph Watson was the teacher. In Clyde the first school
was taught by William McLouth in a log house which stood on the cor-
ner of Sylvester Clarke's garden. The Clyde High School was legally
incorporated April 23, 1834, by the consolidation of districts 14 and 1 ;,
and the first trustees were William S. Stow, John Condit, George Bur-
rill, Isaac Lewis, Sylvester Clarke, and Calvin D. Tompkins. A two
story building with a high basement was erected that year on the corner
of Lock and Caroline streets; Professor William H. Sehram was the first
principal and Miss Abigail Packard the first preceptress, assisted by
three teachers. Subsequently the village was divided for school pur-
poses and a graded school established on the south side of the river, of
which Byron N. Marriott is the present principal. July i. 18 74, the
cornel- stone of the present High School building on the north side of
the river in Clyde was laid with Masonic ceremonies, and school was
opened in if that fall. It is of brick and cost $30,000. It maintains



WAYNE COUNTY. 263

primary, intermediate, and academic departments, and is under Profes-
sor Alvin B. Bishop, A.M., principal, and Florence G. Ivison, precept-
ress. It has a library of 1,575 bound volumes, and was attended dur-
ing the school year L893-94by 415 resident and 112 non-resident pupils.
Among- the various principals in charge of the school are recalled the
names of Hon. William H. Lyon, William Burnett, Professor Bennett,
John Robinson, Hugh R. Jolly, and Edward Hayward. Mr. Lyon be.
came noted as the inventor of the telegraphic printer; or, rather, as the
first to demonstrate through the medium of a model that the pen and
ink or type could be used in conveying messages; this occurred while
he was principal of this school in 184-1. The Board of Education for
L893-94 consists of George B. Greenway, president; Archibald M.
Graham, secretary and treasurer; and Willard N. Field. John G. Gil-
lette is clerk.

The town has eighteen school districts with a school house in each,
which were taught in 1892-93 by thirty teachers and attended by 1,225
children. The value of school buildings and sites is $51,275; assessed
valuation of the districts $3,367,263 ; public money received from the
State $5,137.70; raised by local tax $8,276.34.

One of the oldest burial places in Galen is situated west of Marengo,
and was opened by the Quakers in connection with their church. In
the western part of Clyde village is an old, unused burying ground, in
which the first interment was the remains of a child of Peter Moon.
The Catholics have a very pretty cemetery in the southwest part of the
village, between the railroads. The Maple Grove Cemetery Associa-
tion was organized March 25, 1859, with these officers: Samuel S. Briggs,
president; Aaron Griswold, vice-president; Leander S. Ketchum, sec-
retary ; Isaac Miller, treasurer. Thirteen acres of land were purchased
in the southeast part of the town, which has been beautified and fitted
up in a very tasty manner. The presidents of the association have been
as follows: Samuel S. Briggs, to April, 1865; Aaron Griswold, to April,
1871; Samuel H. Briggs, to April, 1882; Samuel S. Morley, to April,
1883 ; John Cockshaw, to present time. The other officers for 1894 are :
Sylvester J. Child, vice-president; George O. Baker, secretary and treas-
urer; John Cockshaw, George O. Baker, Sylvester J. Child, Samuel H.
Briggs, William D. Ely, and Archibald M. Graham, trustees.

Soon after the first settlers came in small distilleries began to spring
up and flourish in various parts of the town. Abner Hand had one near
the river two miles southeast of Clyde, and Aaron Dunn had one on his
farm. Those in Clyde are noticed further on.



164 LANDMARKS OF

During the War of the Rebellion the town of Galen made a brilliant
record, responding promptly to the various calls for troops and con-
tributing liberally of both money and men. No little credit is due the
ladies for their patriotism and substantial aid during that long conflict.
A total of 155 men went out from this town, a number of whom were
promoted to commissioned officers, and all of whom served with honor
and distinction. Dennis G. Flynn, who died in April, 1873, recruited,
parts of Company B, 111th, and Company K, 138th Regiments, and be-
came captain of the latter in 1864,

Clyde Village. — Situated near the center of the town, on the Eric-
Canal and New York Central and West Shore Railroads, the village of
Clyde is one of the most important points in Wayne county. It com-
menced an existence on the south side of the river in 1811, when Jona-
than Melvin, jr., erected the block house previously described. In this
the first town meeting was held in 1812, in which year two more log
houses were built. Soon afterward the hamlet was given the name of
" Lauraville, " from Henrietta Laura, Countess of Bath, daughter of Sir
William Pultney. William McLouth, a surveyor, laid out the original
lots and streets south of the river, and was one of the first to carry on
trade in the place. The first store was started about 1815 by James B.
West in a part of the Vanderbilt tavern. In 181? Sylvester Clarke
opened a store opposite the hotel and later moved his goods to a build-
ing now the residence of his son Sylvester H. Among the first lot own-
ers after McLouth's survey were Dennis Vanderbilt, R. James, W. Min-
derse, W. Wallace, E. Dean, D. Southwick, a Mr. Richmond, J. Wcrk,
and Tubbs and West.

The first tavern on the south side of the river was built and kept by
Dennis Vanderbilt about IS 14. It stood on the corner of Waterloo and
Water streets, and in its ball room the flrst Sunday school was organ-
ized in 1825. James Humeston a little later put up another near the
river between the two bridges. This was subsequently kept for a time
by Horatio G. Kingsbury and others, and in 183G it was burned. In
1837 Herman Jenkins built on the site what was last known as the old
Humphrey house, which was demolished in 1884 to make room for the
road bed of the West Shore Railroad. Mr. Humeston was appointed
the lirst postmaster when the post-office was established in "Laura-
ville," under the name of Galen, and kept the office in his tavern. June
1\!, L820, Sylvester Clarke was appointed to the position. In the upper
story of his building, which is still standing, the Presbyterians and Free



WAYNE COUNTY. 265

Masons held their earlier meeting's, and after a split occurred in the
former the seeeders held services here under Rev. William L. Roberts,
who also taught a select school. Arza Lewis had a store at an early
day on Water street.

( )n the north side of the River Dr. Ledyard, a Revolutionary surgeon,
received the original title to the land, and from him it passed to George
Burrill. The first frame house was built by William S. De Zeng, as
was also the first store, which stood on the site of the present Hunt
block, and which was kept by his agent, Mr. Scott. This house subse-
quently became the dwelling of William S. Stow. Mr. De Zeng never
lived here, but his business interests in Clyde were long an important
feature of the village; he died in Geneva, August 16, 1882. About 1817
this side of the river was surveyed into village lots, and in 1818 Andrew
MeNab, from the River Clyde, Scotland, came here to dispose of them.
The landscape evidently reminded him of his native heath, for he gave
the name Clyde to the Canandaigua outlet and this portion of the village.

The first tavern here was originally called the Mansion House, then
the Franklin, the Sherman, and finally the Delevan House, under which
designation it burned in November, 1885. From the steps of the
Mansion House in 1825 Dominic Moshier made the address of welcome
when Governor De Witt Clinton passed through the village on the
"Young Lion of the West, " the first canal boat that passed through
Clyde. The Exchange Hotel, subsequently known as the Eagle House,
was built on the canal bank near the glass works in 1825. Its first land-
lord was a Mr. Garrett, and directly in front of it was the old canal
lock long since torn out. Opposite was the large yellow grocery of
Strong & Harrington, and a little west was the American Hotel, once
kept by Harry Goodchild. This formed quite a settlement, but when
the lock was removed the buildings disappeared and the Eagle Hotel
was made an ashery. The site of the present Clyde Hotel was originally
occupied by the Clyde Coffee House, a two-story hostelry, erected by a
Mr. Whitmore in 1818. It was burned in 1826 while Horatio G. Kings-
bury was proprietor, and in the same year the first Clyde Hotel was
built by David Williams and Benjamin Ford. It was two stories high,
but when P. G. Denison became proprietor he added another and Peter
Ryerson subsequently built the north wing. With adjacent buildings
it was burned September 11, 1883. The present Clyde Hotel was
opened November 18, 1884. The present proprietor, F. B. Smith, ob-
tained possession in January, 1889.

34



im



LANDMARKS OF



January 6, 1830, Eber F. Moon issued the first number of the Clyde
Standard, the first paper published in Clyde, from a wood building on
the site of the S. S. I Lock (now the home of the Clyde Times I,

and which is now occupied as a tenement on Sodus street. It states
that boats passed through the Erie Canal on January 3, on their way to
Albany; it also contains the following" local advertisements: Elisha
Blakeman. select school; James Dickson, dry goods and groceries;
Mason & Pendleton, cabinet ware and furniture; William S. Stow, loo
building lots in Clyde for sale; James M. Watson, proprietor Clyde and




mekn View <>i Clyde. — From an old print, l s 4n.



Geneva mail stage, three trips each way weekly ; Acker & Chapman,
I » S. Bartles, Ely, Shepard & Co., and M. L. Faulkner (dry goods), all
published notices to delinquent debtors: De Zeng & Rees, cash or
barter paid for ashes: J. W. Furnal & Co.. hatters; D. Foster, saddle
and harness maker; Clyde Hotel, Edmund B. Hill, proprietor; C.
Bartles, beer. The second newspaper was the Clyde Gazette in 1 6

In 1830 Clyde contained seven dry goods stores, ten groceries, four
hotels, two drug stores, a glass factor} - , two lawyers, an insurance office,
a printing office and newspaper, two saddle and harness makers, two
hatters, two grist mills, a saw mill, a wool carder, one cloth dresser,
two physicians, two milliners, live shoemakers, two blacksmiths, three
tailors, two tanners, four storage and forwarders, six painters, twelve
carpenters, four masons, a cabinet maker, two distilleries, one wheel-
wright, three coopers, and "upwards vt 200 houses, most of which have"
been built within the last two years."

In 1845 Clyde had eleven dry goods stores, four groceries, two drug-
inhabitants.



WAYNE COUNTY.



■>Ju



William S. Stow settled in Clyde in 1825, and the same year built his
law office west of and facing- the public square; this structure is still
standing and is occupied by his son, DeLancey Stow. It is the oldest
office in the village and in it the village government was inaugurated.
In it also Clyde village was incorporated May 2, 1835, when five trustees
were elected, as follows: William S. Stow, Samuel C. Paine, Aaron T.
Hendrick, Arza Lewis, and John Condit. Lauraville then ceased to be
and the settlements on both sides of the river have since been known as
Clyde. The post-office, as previously noted, had been called Galen,
but in 18-2 1 i, through the efforts of Representative Robert S. Rose and
William S. Stow, the name was changed to Clyde. The present post-
master is De Lancy Stow, who succeeded George G. Roe in October 1,
181)4.

The presidents of Clyde village have been as follows :



Aaron T. Hendrick, 1885,
Ira Jenkins, 1836,
Nathan P. Colvin, 1837,
William S. Stow, 1838-40,
B. M. Vanderveer, 1841,
Charles D. Lawton, 1842,
William O. Sloan, 1843,
William S. Stow, 1844,
William O. Sloan, 1845,
Albert Clark, 1846,
Luther Field, 1847,
Ambrose S. Field, 1848,
Jabez S. Amoreaux, 1849,
Charles E. Elliott, 1850,
Alfred C. Howe, 1851-53,
Samuel S. Streeter, 1854,
Samuel Weed, 1855,
Albert F. Redfield, 1856,
Adrastus Snedaker, 1857,
Aaron Griswold, 1858,
John Condit, 1859,
Byron Ford, 1869,
Solomon H. Skinner, 1861,
William H. Coffin, 1862-63,
Dr. Darwin Colvin, 1864-66,



Aaron Griswold, 1867-69,
James M. Streeter, 1870,
Aaron Griswold, 1871,
P. Ira Lape, 1872,
Aaron Gregory, 1873,
John Crowell, 1874-75,
Charles T. Saxton, 1876,
Dr. Darwin Colvin, 1877,
John Cockshaw, 1878,
Edwin Sands, 1879,
James M. Streeter, 1880,
Marcus Shafer, 1881.
Lathrop S. Taylor, 1882,
Albert F. Redfield, 1883.
Edwin Sands, 1884,
Levi Paddock, 1885,
Michael A. Fisher, 1886,
Arthur H. Smith, 1887,
Avery H. Gillette, 1888,
Charles R. Stranghan, 1889,
Albert C. Lux, 1890,
James Keesler, 1891,
James R. Miller, 1892,
Archibald M. Graham, 1893,
George B. Greenway, 1894.



Village officers for 1804: president, George B. Greenway; clerk,
Charles R. Kennedy; trustees, George B. Greenway, George W. Cowles,
Charles A. Sloan, Charles S. Skinner, H. K. Compson; collector,



268 LANDMARKS OF

John E. Haight; treasurer, William A. Hunt; chief of fire department,
John Hak ; police justice, De Lance) 7 Stow.

June 3, L835, that part of the village south of the river was designated
as corporation number!, with Eleazer H. House, overseer of highways;
that part cast of Sodus street, north of the river, as corporation 2, with
Richard Wood, overseer; and that portion west of Sodus street as cor-
poration 3, with George Thompson, overseer. In 1836 the following
ordinance was enacted and has never been repealed:

That any person or persons who shall hereafter suffer or permit any playing with
cards, or dice, or other gatning-table or shuffle-board, or shall permit any kind of
gaming by lot or chance, within his or her house, out-house, yard, or garden, within
the village of Clyde, shall, for every offense, forfeit or pay into the village treasury
the sum of ten dollars.

On May 14, 1840, the charter was amended and authorized the trus-
tees to raise ',1,(100 to extinguish the debt incurred in purchasing a fire
engine. May'.', 1855, and in May, 1873, the charter was further amended;
on the latter date it increased the corporate limits to four square miles,
making the center of the public square the center of the village and
allowing $2,000 per annum to be raised for expenses; before that $1,000
was the maximum sum. In February, 1874, a special bill was enacted
by the Legislature authorizing the trustees to levy and collect a tax of
$6,000, in addition to the regular tax, to pay the village debt to that
date.

The first public hall, a wooden structure, stood on the site of the
present one; it was burned April 20, 1870, and an act was passed en-
abling the town and village to jointly raise $4,000 to erect a new build-
ing. This was legally authorized at a special election May 3, 1870, and
the present hall was built during that and the following year. It is of
brick and contains the village offices, the fire department headquarters,
and an opera house.

On April K), 1824, Eli Frisbie, Simeon Griswold, and James Dickson
were appointed commissioners to build a bridge over the river at Clyde,
and the supervisor was empowered to raise $1,000 for the purpose. This
bridge took the place of the first one built at this point in L810, and
stood on the site of the present upper bridge. In L867 the old wooden
bridge at the corner of Geneva and Griswold streets was replaced by a
stone one.

The first license granted for a public entertainment was dated June 8,
L835, and permitted " Noel E. Waring to exhibit for one day, on the



WAYNE COUNTY. 269

24th inst. , his Zoological Institute Association, Menagerie and Aviary,
and also his paintings andSerpant," in consideration of the payment of
$10. The .first band of musicians in Clyde was organized in L839 under
the leadership of Major Gilbert, of Palmyra; he was succeeded in L840
by Major Pitman, who was paid a salary of $400 a year. This band dis-
banded about 1854. In 1860 the Wells Cornet Band was organized, and
in L878 the Saxton Band was formed.

The Clyde Fire Department was instituted January 7, 1830, by the
appointment of sixteen persons as a hook and ladder company. In 1 841
the Cataract hand engine was purchased for $1,000 and the first engine
company was then organized. October 20, 1857, the old Cataract com-
pany was reorganized into the Niagara Fire Company No. 2, to man the
engine Niagara, which had been purchased October 7 at a cost of $1,000;
this engine and hose were destroyed in the glass works fire July 24,
1 873. The old Cataract engine, long since disused, is still in possession
of the Ever Readys. In 1872 two dams were constructed in the Erie
Canal to retain water for use at fires. In September, 1873, the village
purchased a Silsby steamer and 1,000 feet of hose for $5,000, and in the
same year the Protectives Hook and Ladder Company No. 1 was organ-
ized. In June, 1886, a fire bell was placed in the town hall. In May,
1889, a new truck costing $1,000 was purchased for the Protectives, and
a new chemical extinguisher was bought for the Ever Ready Hose Com-
pany No. 2.

Among the more disastrous fires that have visited the village may be
mentioned the following: July 24, 1873, glass factory, loss about $55,-
000; in September, 1874, same place, loss $3,000; in October, 1874, the
Newman House, loss $8,000; March 28, 1878, Barse block, loss $10,000;
September 11, 1883, Clyde Hotel, St. John's Episcopal Church, Gillette
blocks, etc., loss $25,000; January 17, 1889, on Columbia street, loss
$12,000; January8, 1890, same street, loss $7,000; January 16, 1890,
on Glasgow street, loss $7,000.

The project of providing an adequate water supply for Clyde was
agitated in 1883, and on January 17, 1885, the Clyde Water Works Com-
pany was organized. Nothing was done, however, until 1887, when the
matter was revived. On May 14, 1888, the present water works com-
pany was formally organized and in the same month a contract was
signed with the Bassett Brothers to construct the existing system. The
village bound itself to pay $1,600 annually for five years for water for
fire protection. Twelve wells were sunk on the N. G. Moore farm in



270 LANDMARKS OF

the western part of the corporation, and a steel water tower with a ca-
pacity of 200,000 gallons, was erected on Rees hill. A pumping sta-
tion equipped with two boilers and a compound duplex engine was
erected ami the system went into operation in the fall of 1889. Albert
W. Van Buskirk was appointed the first superintendent and engineer,
and held the position until he resigned in September, L891, when the
present incumbent. E. M. Ellinwood, took charge. Since the inception
of the water works the engines and steamer have been superseded, in
ease of lire, by hose attached to the hydrants.

The Clyde Board of Trade was organized in L890, and has sinee been
the means of materially advancing the commercial growth of the
village.

The gas works of Clyde were started about L856, and have continued