September, 1828, when Rev. Peter Kanouse took charge. Among his
successors prior to 1850 were Revs. James Boyle, Henry Snyder, J. K.
Ware, George W. Elliott, David Gushing, and G. R. H. Shumway
(for twenty-five 3^ears). The present pastor, Rev. A. Parke Burgess,
D. D., assumed charge in March, 1874. The first church edifice, a
wooden structure, was erected on the site of the present building in
L827; and to extinguish the indebtedness incurred by its construction
Elder Pliny Foster mortgaged his farm for $500. In 1852 this edifice
was replaced by another foundation, on which new walls were slowly
reared until June, 1853, when a conflagration reduced them to ashes.
Rebuilding was immediately commenced and the present structure was
completed at a cost of about $18,000, the basement being first occupied
January 1, 1854. In 1875 it was enlarged at an expense of $12,000. A
Sunday school was organized by members of this denomination in
Newark as early as 1814. The society has about 450 members.
The Christian Church of Newark was organized at Marbletown in
1834, and reorganized June 4, 1836, from which date until 1845, Elders
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
E. M. Galloway and Benjamin Bailey served as pastors. They were
followed by Revs. J. C. Burgdurf, S. D. Burdzell, A. S. Langdon, W,
T. Canton, G. H. Hibbard, J. C. Burgdurf again, S. B. Bowdish, L.
Coffin, Irving Bullock, O. T. Wyman, D. W. Moore, and the present
incumbent, Rev. J. W. Wilson, who is also superintendent of the Sun-
day school. The Marbletown society finally disbanded, and in 1864
their edifice was taken down and the material brought to Newark.
where it was used in the construction of the German Methodist Church
on Miller street. A new church society was organized in Newark vil-
lage and a house of worship built on the south side of Miller street at a
cost of aboiit $5,000. The present membership numbers about seventy-
The Baptist Church of East Newark was organized as the Lockville
Baptist Church in July, 1834, with twenty-four members. The first
pastor was Rev. Moses Rowley. In 1836 a site was purchased, upon
which a brick edifice was erected at a cost of $2,500. When the name
of that part of Newark village became Arcadia the name of the church
was changed to correspond, and in December, 1864, when many of its
members united with a new society located at the more populous cen-
WAYNE COUNTY. 379
ter, the first named title was adopted. The division left sixty-three
members; in 18G9 the number was eighty. The pastors succeeding
Rev. Mr. Rowley were Revs. John Dudley, R. P. Lamb, Joseph Spoor,
David Bellamy, L. O. Grinnell, William Roney, vSidney Wilder, and
Joseph B. Vrooman, under whom the division occurred. The society
eventually went down and the property was sold to the Dutch Reform
The First Universalist Society of Newark was organized August 7,
1837, with forty-nine members. The same year a brick edifice was
erected at a cost of $5,000. The church was legally organized in May,
1842, by D. K. Lee, with twenty-one members, and the house of wor-
ship was used until January, 1871, when it was sold. That year the
present structure was built at an expense of $15,000, and dedicated
March 13, 1872, the first pastor officiating being Rev. George B. Stock-
ing. The pastors of the old church were Revs. Kneeland Townsend,
Henry Roberts, D. K. Lee, E. W. Locke, J. J. Austin, D. C. Tomlin-
son, C. A. Skinner, S. L. Rorapaugh, A. Kelsey, R. Fiske, L. C.
Brown, C. Fleuhrer, and W. B. Randolph. The society has about
sixty members under the pastoral care of Rev. James P. Curtis.
The Reformed Dutch Church of East Newark was organized prior to
1844, at which time Rev. William Turner was pastor, and in which
year it numbered thirty members. The society finally weakened and
disbanded, but a few years since was reorganized under the same name
as a missionary field belonging to the Classis of Rochester and in
charge of the Board of Missions of the Reformed Dutch Church of
America. The old brick Baptist Church was purchased, and in it both
English and Holland services are held regularly. Rev. Jacob Dyk is
pastor : elect. The society has about 100 members.
The German Evangelical Association Church of Newark was organ-
ized with twenty-seven members in 1845 by Rev. Philip Miller. Their
house of worship was erected on Miller street in 1864 and consecrated
by Rev. M. Fitzinger. The first pastor was Rev. M. Miller, and among
his earlier successors were Revs. Jacob Siegrist, Jacob L. Jacoby, M.
Lane, August Holzworth, and Charles Wissman. The present pastor
is Rev. Fred Lahmeyer and the society's membership numbers about
St. Mark's Protestant Episcopal Church of Newark was legally
organized at the house of Esbon Blackmaron July 22, 1851, by Rev. Dr.
Bissell, of Geneva. The first officers were Thomas Davis and Ebe-
380 LANDMARKS OF
nezer Cress}-, wardens; Esbon Blackmar, Fletcher Williams, George
Perkins, David Mandeville, John Daggett, Clark Mason, A. W. Marsh,
and Joel H. Prescott, vestrymen. Episcopal services had been held in
Newark as early as 1830 by Rev. T. F. Ward well, of Lyons, and the
organization was made possible by the confirmation of a class by Bishop
De Lancey in the old M. E. Church. August 15, 1851, a contract was
let to George Perkins for a church edifice to cost $1,725, exclusive of
the spire, which was to be built by Fletcher Williams for $200. The
building and lot cost $3,174.27, the bell $300, and the organ, the gift
of the Ladies' Society, $450. The church was consecrated by Bishop
De Lancey on December 28, 1852; the building committee consisted of
Esbon Blackmar, Fletcher Williams, and Joel H. Prescott. Rev.
Charles W. Hayes was installed the first rector September 19, 1852,
organized a Sunday school October 3, with Joel H. Prescott as super-
intendent, and continued in charge until 1854, when Rev. Charles W.
Homer assumed charge. Under him the first Christmas tree in Newark
was uncovered at the rectory in 1855. Among his successors were
Revs. William O. Gorham, John H. Rowling, P. T. Babbitt, W. J.
Pigott, and John Leach. In 1876 a rectory was purchased for $3,000.
The parish has about eighty members with Rev. L. D. Van Dyke, D.
D., as rector.
The Roman Catholic Church of Newark was established with about
forty members in 1855, mainly through the efforts of Rev. Father Pur-
cell, who was followed by Fathers Clark, Lee, Charles, S. M. Rimmels,
and others. A frame edifice was built in 1855. The present pastor is
Rev. D. W. Kavanaugh, of Lyons.
The First Baptist Church of Newark was first a removal and after-
ward a reorganization r>i the society of this denomination in East
Newark, previously detailed. The removal occurred in 1864, and in
1865 a church edifice was built at a cost of several thousand dollars. It
stands on the south side of Miller street and was originally designated
"Hope Chapel." In December, 1874, the society was reorganized
under its present name, the first officers being Josiah Failing, Clark
Phillips, Marvin I. Greenwood, Jesse G. Pitts, William Fisk, and T.
Hunt, trustees; Clark Phillips, president; M. I. Greenwood, secretary;
William Fisk, treasurer. A parsonage was purchased for $1,700, and
the pastor at the time of reorganization was Rev. V. Wilson. The
society has about 190 members under the pastoral charge of Rev. F.
WAYNE COUNTY. 381
The German Lutheran Church of East Newark was organized March
27, 1872. The original membership numbered twenty-seven, and the
first meetings were held in the Baptist Church by Rev. C. C. Manz, a
missionary, once in two weeks. The society has thirty five or forty
members with Rev. Robert T. Vosberg as pastor. The Sunday school
has an average attendance of forty scholars.
The Presbyterian Church of Fairville was constituted with eighteen
persons March 31, 1860. Rev. Mr. Gushing, of Newark, had preached
here in the school house and later in the M. E. Church, and was fol-
lowed in 1859 by Rev. Mr. Holcomb. July 20, 1860, John Aiken ex-
ecuted a deed of the present lot to Elon St. John, John Bockoven,
William H. Van Inwagen, Franklin Koffman, and Charles E. Crandall,
trustees, for $200. The building committee consisted of Elon St. John,
John Bockoven, Marvin Lee, William H. Van Inwagen, and Charles
E. Crandall. The contract was let August 24, 1861, to Elon St. John,
for $2,500, and the corner stone was laid by Rev. Mr. Holcomb on
October 2, 1861. The edifice was dedicated October 16, 1862, by Rev.
Charles Hawley, of Auburn. January 1, 1866, the church was legally
oganized by the Presbytery of Lyons with eighteen members, and with
William H. Smith and Henry West as ruling elders. The first pastor
was Rev. Mr. Young, the present incumbent being Rev. J. W. Low-
den. The society has about seventy members.
The Methodist Episcopal Church of Fairville was organized at a
comparatively early date, and a house of worship erected in 1857. The
society has about seventy-five members and a Sunday school with an
average attendance of fifty scholars. The pastor is Rev. Joseph Max-
382 LANDMARKS OF
HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF MARION.
This town was formed from Williamson on the 18th of April, 1825,
and originally was called " Winchester, " which name was changed to
Marion April 15, 1826. An interior township, nearly square, it lies
west from the center of Wayne county, and is bounded on the north by
Williamson, on the east by Sodus and Arcadia, on the south by Pal-
myra, and on the west by Walworth. Its area embraces 17,:591 acres.
Marion is one of the best farming towns in Wayne county. The sur-
face is broken into a succession of drift hills and ridges, intervened with
fruitful valleys, the whole being well adapted to agriculture. The soil
is a gravelly loam and drift, and in the northern part is largely under-
laid with a limestone formation. Drainage is afforded almost entirely
by Red Creek, which has its source near the north boundary, flows
southerly a little east of the center of the town, and passes into Pal-
myra, emptying in the Ganargwa near East Palmyra village. This stream
affords some good mill sites and has a number of small tributaries.
Near the village of Marion is a sulphur spring, which produces a con-
stant supply of water possessing valuable medicinal properties, but it
has never been much utilized for medical treatment.
In common with adjacent divisions of Wayne county this town was
originally covered with heavy timber which long gave profitable em-
ployment to the early settlers. Much of it was burned for the ashes,
but a considerable portion was converted into lumber, which brought
into existence a number of saw mills. All of these long ago disappeared.
The pioneers, as soon as land was cleared, devoted their efforts to raising
wheat and other grain, and until late years this branch of farming pre-
dominated. The growing of fruit, especially of apples, was also given
early attention, and during the last decade the culture of raspberries
has been extensively developed. A large number of the farms of the
present day support substantial dry-houses or evaporators.
The primitive log cabins of the first settlers were long since super-
seded by modern dwellings, which the present generation surround
WAYNE COUNTY. 383
with the comforts and luxuries of this age. Some of these are still oc-
cupied as homesteads, but the inevitable changes of time have placed
many in the hands of later comers. The older settlers, with few excep-
tions, have passed away; but scattered here and there over the town
are worthy descendants of those sturdy pioneers who endured the hard-
ships of frontier life, subdued the wilderness, established homes,
churches, and schools, and reared large families in the observances of
the laws of modern civilization.
Tradition says that early settlers here sought the hills in preference
to the more fertile valleys, and in consequence the first roads ran from
summit to summit without any definite course, except to avoid as far
as possible the wet low lands. The first highway through the town was
the old Geneva and Canandaigua road, which passed through Palmyra
and Marion to the upper corners ; this was what is now the thoroughfare
that runs northeasterly to East Williamson. The second road was an
enlargement of the Indian trail, or the " old post route," leading from
Canandaigua to Pultneyville, and continued northward from the Sodus
road from Marion upper corners. The Sodus road was laid out by Capt.
Charles Williamson in 1794. Considerable labor was expended in im-
proving these and other early highways, and in this direction the town
has constantly kept pace with the advancement in road making.
The town has never enjoyed the privileges of a railroad within its
borders. Its inhabitants have always depended upon the more primi-
tive means of transportation by teams, yet its productive soil, excellent
educational facilities and many natural advantages have placed it in
the front rank of interior civil divisions of the Empire State. Mails,
passengers, freight, etc., are still conveyed by stage, principally be-
tween Marion village and Palmyra. The nearest railroad stations are
East Palmyra on the New York Central on the south and Williamstown
on the R. W. and O. on the north.
The first annual town meeting of the town of Marion (then Winches-
ter) was held, pursuant to an act passed by the Legislature in 1824, at
the house of Daniel Wilcox, April 14, 1826, and the following officers
were elected: Seth Eddy, supervisor; Samuel Moore, town clerk:
Isaac R. Sanford, David Eddy, Thomas Lakey, assessors: Samuel Ball,
collector; Samuel Dellano and Joseph Caldwell, overseers of the poor;
Reuben Adams, jr., Peter Eddy, Benjamin Mason, highway commis-
sioners; Samuel Ball and Jeremiah Angell, constables; Joseph Cald-
well, Thomas Lakey, Samuel Moore, commissioners of common schools ;
[esse Mason, Homer Adams, James Smith, inspectorsof public schools;
Gideon Sherman, ponndkeeper. The town then had thirty-live road
districts and a pathmaster was subsequently appointed for each. Sam-
uel Moore was town clerk until 1832, when he was succeeded by Elisha
R. Wright. In 1850 a bounty of one shilling- each was offered for all
crows killed in town. The supervisors of Marion have been as fol-
Seth Eddy, 1826,
Jesse Mason, 1827,
Isaac R. Sanford, 1828,
Elias Durfee, 1829-33,
William R. Sanford, 1834,
Elias Durfee, 1835,
Marvin Rich, 1836,
Elias Durfee, 1837-38,
Seth Eddy, 1839-40,
Onion Archer, 1841-45,
Peter Boyce, 1846-47,
Nelson D. Young, 1848-49,
Oscar Howell, 1850-51,
Nelson D. Young, 1852-53,
Isaac A. Clark, 1854,
Elias Durfee, 1855-59,
Pardon Durfee, 1860-61,
Ira Lakey, 1862-63,
( h-ville Lewis, 1864-65,
Nelson D. Young, 1866-69,
Dwight Smith, 1870-72,
Charles Tremain, 1873,
Dwight Smith, 1874-75,
Nelson D. Young, 1876-78,
Henry R. Taber, 1879,
Chester F. Sweezy, 1880-82,
Henry R. Taber, 1883-86,
Seth B. Dean, 1887-88,
Henry R. Taber, 1889-92,
Henry C. Allen, 1893,
Henry R. Taber, 1894.
The town officers for 1894 are as follows: Henry R. Taber, super-
visor; Richard B. McOmber, town clerk; Myron J. Mersen, J. Smith
Crane, Jefferson Sherman, Harmon S. Potter, justices of the peace;
Sidney F. Durfee, Charles S. Pratt, George H. Lookup, Charles L. Tas-
sell, overseers of the poor; Isaac A. Johnson, commissioner of high-
ways; Horace A. Warner, collector.
The first settlement in this town was commenced by Henry Lovell
in 1795. He located on a farm now the south and west portions of
Marion village, and his log house stood on the lot more recently owned
by Buckley Newton. Mr. Lovell was a typical hunter and is said to
have killed thirty deer in one day. A child born to him in 1705 lived
but a few weeks; this was the first birth and the first death in town,
and his only neighbors at the time were Daniel Powell and wife, who
buried the babe on a knoll back of Lovell's house. Betsey Lovell, a
daughter of Henry, was the second white child born in the town. Mr.
Lovell finally removed to the west.
Daniel Powell, wife and eight children, came to Palmyra from Mass-
achusetts in 1794 and removed to Marion in 1795. He was a wealth}-
WAYNE COUNTY. 385
man for those days, endowed with extraordinary strength and endu-
rance, and eventually cleared over 500 acres in this town and William-
son. In Marion he took up a farm of 126 acres, which he partially
cleared, and sold it in 1816 to David Harding.
In 1705 David Sweezey came here with his family from New Jersey,
making the entire trip in light boats, which were carried from stream
to stream where necessary. He settled on a large farm in the south
part of the town, upon which he lived until his death. After being
owned by his heirs and others it ultimately came into the possession of
D. F. Luce. Another settler of this year was Samuel C. Caldwell, also
from New Jersey, who came hither by ox team and wagon. At his
death a son succeeded him on the homestead.
Elizabeth Howell and David Sherman were married in the winter of
1794-95, and this was the first marriage celebrated in the town. Miss
Howell came to Marion in the family of David Sweezey. Mr. Sher-
man, a native of Rhode Island, came from Washington county, N.Y. ,
to East Palmyra in 1791, but in the fall of that year returned east on
foot. The next winter he moved to East Palmyra with two yoke of
oxen, and early in 1796 came thence to this town, settling on 100 acres
of the Caldwell farm. This he soon sold to Samuel O. Caldwell. He
purchased and cleared another farm, upon which he died and upon
which he was succeeded by his son, Zepheniah, and the father of
Samuel O. Caldwell is reputed to have drawn the first load of goods
from Canandaigua to Pultneyville for Capt. Charles Williamson, to
whom he was introduced as " a man who could drive two yoke of oxen
and a sled over logs two feet high." The trip was made in August in
six days, with the above named outfit. In 1795 nearly every settler in
this region was down with the fever and ague, and it is stated that Mr.
Caldwell went to mill near Geneva for them all. He subsequently
moved thither two families from Rhode Island and another from New
Jersey with his ox teams.
Deacon Joseph Caldwell was born in Marion September 24, 1799, and
died August 31, 1875. In 1829 he married Sarah Smith and had born
to him three children, of whom the only son, Samuel G., was a graduate
of Union College and of the Albany Law School, and became a banker
in Omaha, Neb. Amanda M., one of the daughters, married John S.
Rich, who settled in Marion village in 1851. Mr. Rich was assistant
census marshal in 1860, deputy marshal for the northern district of New
386 LANDMARKS OF
York for several years, a special agent of the treasury department, and
a life long Democrat. Deacon Caldwell was a graduate of the Univer-
sity of North Carolina, deacon in the Congregational church over fifty
years, a Republican in politics, and a leading agriculturist of the town
Robert Springer, a Rhode Islander, came to this town about 1796,
cleared a small plot, returned East, and the next year brought his
family to his frontier home. His sons were Isaac, Richard, Robert, jr.,
Samuel, and Israel.
William B. Cogswell, another Rhode Islander, settled early in Marion
and few years later took up a farm subsequently occupied by his son.
Reuben Adams and son, Reuben, were also settlers of this period.
Among the comers during the years 1797, 1798, 1799, and later, were
Luke Phelps and Harris Cooley, from Massachusetts; David and Will-
iam Harding, from Rhode Island; Micajah Harding, Seth, William and
David Eddy, John Harkness, from Massachusetts; Zadoc Huggins, Seth
Harris, from Rhode Island; John Case, Jesse Harding, David Mason,
Gideon Sherman, Zebina Crane, and Judge Marvin Rich. Luke Phelps
was the first supervisor of the town of Williamson, and his sons, Jared
and Ezra, became prominent in local affairs. Ezra was a surveyor and
ran many of the original lot lines, laid out most of the early roads, and
was for some time highway commissioner. His son, Deacon Ezra
Phelps, succeeded him on the homestead. David and William Harding
both died in town. Micajah Harding, prominent in civil and religious
affairs, raised a company of sharpshooters and served in the war of
1812. The three Eddys settled on what is called the Eddy ridge.
Seth Eddy was the first supervisor of Marion, the first deacon of the
Baptist church, and captain of a company of drafted men in the war of
1812. David Eddy became side judge. The children of John Hark-
ness were: Seth E., Roswell, Leverett, William, and Mrs. S. Miller.
Zadoc Huggins taught the first singing school, and John Case, a
Methodist, was the first preacher in town. Seth Harris met his death
by drowning in the lake. David Mason had three sons, John, Benja-
min, and Jesse. The latter was endowed with exceptional ability.
Zebina Crane, the father of Mrs. Daniel Dean, and the grandfather of
Zebina Crane, died here in 1820. Judge Marvin Rich was a very
prominent citizen and subsecpicntly moved to Rochester.
Prior to 1812 the following, among others, settled in Marion: Stephen
Sanford, from Rhode Island; Harvey Riley, father of Peleg, Hiram,
WAYNE COUNTY. :;*;
and Rescom Riley, and Mrs. Van Ostram ; William and Thomas Corry,
Rhode Islanders, from whom Corry Corners was named, where both of
them died; Stephen Vaughn, Julius Hutchinson, Joel Hall, William
Hadsell, and Abraham and Darius Pratt. Joel Hall and his sons, Joel,
jr., and Amasa, at that time married men, were the first comers to the
Hall settlement. Joel Hall, sr. , was endowed with unusual strength
and performed feats almost marvelous. He was the grandfather of
Warren, Joseph, Amasa, jr., and Lead Hall, residents of Marion, Wal-
worth, and Williamson.
In the winter of 1825 Richard Sweet built a canal boat at Marion
village, and in the spring drew it on ox sleds to Palmyra and launched
it ; the trip occupied two days.
Among other early settlers of Marion were Eliphalet Dean, father of
Daniel ; Elias Durfee, who built and operated a furnace for several
years; Eponitas Ketchum, Thomas Clark, who died on his homestead ;
John Smith, from New Jersey; James Center, who sold his farm to M.
L. Rogers in 1835; Philip Potter, a Rhode Islander, who died here
aged 92 ; and Thomas Young, who was succeeded on the homestead by
his son, Nelson D.
Marion Heslor, a native of this town and long a prominent business
man here, died in February, 1888. Delos Hutchins, equally as well
known, died in April following. James McDowell, also a prominent
citizen, died in September, 1892, aged forty-eight years. Earl Wilcox
was the eldest son of William and Ruth Wilcox, and was born in Pal-
myra March 30, 1794. He settled in Marion in 1827 and died here in
March, 1874, being at that time the oldest native of the town of Pal-
myra. He married Jane Stewart and had ten children, five of whom
Hon. Jefferson Sherman was born in this town October 20, 1835, and
died on the homestead August 31, 1894. He was a very prominent
man, held several local offices of responsibility, and represented the
Second Assembly District of Wayne county in the State Legislature of
1879 and 1880.
Prominent among other citizens, sons of whom are descendants of
the pioneers already mentioned, are recalled the names of Dwight
Smith, Peter Boyce, Chester F. Sweezey, Henry R. Tabor (present
supervisor), Henry C. Allen, Seth B. Dean, Ira Lakey, Orville Lewis,
Buckley Newton, Allen Knapp, Daniel F. Luce, W. Cogswell, J. A.
Shaw, John Copping, Z. Howell, A. Turner, W. Lookup, T. M. Clark
388 LANDMARKS OF
(ex-county sheriff), Abel Clark (son of F. M.), Philo D. Green, Jere-
miah Angell, Isaac A. Clark, B. B. Adams, Henry Butler, L. Milliman,
Amasa Stanton, Everard White, C. H. Curtis, James Tassell, Sidney
Durfee, John and Jeremiah Clark (brothers of T. M.), R. K. Warner,
John and William Smith, Thomas S., jr., and Emery Potter, A. B.
Short, Horace M. Winslow, William C. Austin, H. R. Taber, D.
Henry Crane, Stephen Reeves, Charles Tremain, Salem W. Sweezey,
Conway W. Young-, Charles N. Stearns, Eugene H. Brewster, and
Jacob Baker. Numerous others are mentioned further on and in
Part II of this volume.
The first physician in town, and for many years the only practitioner
here was Dr. Seth Tucker, who located first a little northeast of the
upper corners in Marion village. He later moved to the farm upon
which C. H. Curtis subsequently settled.