The pioneer tavern was opened by a Widow Styles as early as 1800;
it stood on the lot in Marion village owned by Amasa Stanton. The
first grist mill was erected by Isaac Phillips in 1807, and Enoch Turner
opened the first store. The first blacksmith was Harkness Gifford.
From the first call of troops in the War of the Rebellion to the
close of that sanguinary conflict the town of Marion promptly and gen-
erously responded with many of her ablest citizens. A total of 186
men went from within her borders to fight the nation's battles. Out
of the depleted number that returned but few remain, and this little
band of heroic veterans is becoming smaller and smaller as death
claims them for the muster roll of eternity.
As previously noted, the first burial was made on the farm of Daniel
Powell. The second death was that of William Powell in 1800, the
third that of Anna Powell, and the fourth that of Mrs. Daniel Powell ;
all were interred in the same plot. The second burying ground was
opened at the upper corners in 1804; and the third was the present
cemetery in Marion village, the first person buried therein being Mrs.
Perry Davis. In 1853 the Marion Cemetery Association was incor-
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
porated and this plat was placed under the charge of that organization.
Five acres of land were subsequently purchased of William F. Burbank
and added, and about 1880 three and one-half acres were bought of
William C. Austin. A project is now (1894) on foot to erect a suitable
soldiers' monument on a lot in the cemetery set aside for the purpose.
The present (1894) officers are: John S. Rich, president; David Lown,
secretary; William G. Austin, treasurer; John S. Rich, David Lown,
William C. 'Austin, and William W. Burbank, executive committee ;
Presson Peer, Stephen Reeves, Washington Hathaway, Charles San-
ford, Allen Knapp, and the officers previously named, trustees.
The first school house in town was a log dwelling which stood in
Marion village on or near the lot now owned by C. C. Potter; the first
teacher in it was James Rogers, who was succeeded by Ebenezer
Ketchum. Then came Asahel Powers, the father of Daniel Powers,
of Rochester. The first school house erected for the purpose stood on
the Robinson farm, and was burned in 1814. Morrison Huggins
opened a select school about 1838, in the upper part of an old stone
school house in the village.
March 27, 1839, the old Marion Academy was incorporated and the
same year a building was erected for its use. The first principal was
Ornon Archer, who made it a success, but after his retirement the
school died out and the charter was abandoned in 1851.
The Marion Collegiate Institute was incorporated July 6, 1855, and
school opened that year with about ninety students in a room fitted up
over a hardware store. In 1856 the present commodious brick building-
was erected by subscription. It is forty-four feet square and three stories
high, and is supplied with a library and scientific apparatus. The first
board of trustees consisted of fourteen members, of whom Rev. J. W.
Osburn was president; Nelson D. Young, treasurer; and A. H. Dow,
The presidents of the board have been:
Rev. J. W. Osburn, 1855,
Rev. Amasa Stanton, 1855,
Jacob Baker, 1857,
Charles Tremaine, 1872,
The principals have been as follows ;
I. N. Sawyer, 1855,
S. F. Holt, 1857,
C. H. Dann, 1857,
Rev. P. J. Williams, 1859,
A. S. Russell, M. D.,1861,
R. T. Spencer, 1862,
A. S. Russell, M. D., 1863,
G. H. Miner, 1863,
Thomas B. Lovell, 1864,
Rev. E. G. Cheeseman, 1870,
W. T. Mills, 1872,
Nelson D. Young, 1873,
Seth B. Dean, 1884,
William C. Austin, 1894.
Rev. W. H. Sloan, 1873,
J. Burns Frazer, 1874,
Edson Plaisted, 1877,
D. Van Cruyningham, 1878,
.Charles E. Allen, 1879,
Herbert E. Mills, Ph. D.,1883,
F. W. Colgrove, D. D., 1884,
Merritt H. Richmond, 1889,
Elmer G. Frail, 1890,
Fenton C. Rowell, 1893,
W. C. Tifft, A. M., 1894-5.
390 LANDMARKS OF
The Board of Trustees for 1894-94 consists of William C. Austin,
Marion, president; Stephen Reeves, Marion, recording secretary; Rev.
Samuel P. Merrill, Rochester, corresponding secretary; Horace M.
Winslow, Marion, treasurer; Salem W. Sweezey, Marion; Myron H.
Adams, M. D., Rochester; Eugene A. Brewster, Palmyra; Melville
M. Eddy, Williamson ; I). Henry Crane, Marion ; Rev. Cyrus W. Mer-
rill, Johnstown; Charles N. Stearns, Marion; Charles Tremaine,
Marion; Conway W. Young, Marion. Executive Committee, Eugene
H. Brewster, Seth B. Dean, and Conway W. Young.
The alumni since 1854 aggregates 160 graduates. When the present
school building was completed a debt of about $0,000 hung over it; a
proposition was made by the trustees of the institute which gave to the
church that would voluntarily assume the indebtedness the sectarian
control of the institution forever. The Baptist Church of Marion came
forward, raised the necessary money, and has since had the spiritual di-
rection and fostering care.
The town has thirteen school districts with school houses, which are
taught by fourteen teachers and attended by about 550 pupils. In
L892-93, the school buildings and sites were valued at $11,050; assessed
valuations of districts, $1,349,000; money received from the State,
$1,747.03; raised by local tax, $3,097.70.
In 1858 there were in Marion 14,302 acres improved land; real estate
valued at $488,585, and personal property, $71,012; 985 male and 952
female inhabitants; 382 dwellings ; 419 families; 366 freeholders; thir-
teen school districts and 756 school children; 840 horses; 1,084 oxen
and calves; 974 cows; 3,703 sheep; and 1,032 swine. That year there
were produced 12,473 bushels winter and 108,745 bushels spring wheat ;
2,684 tons hay: 15,740 bushels potatoes; 34,035 bushels apples; 90,550
pounds butter; 18,703 pounds cheese; and 592 yards domestic cloth.
In 1890 the town had a population of 2,144, or 44 more than in 1880.
In 1893, its 17,801 acres of land were assessed at $809,024 (equalized
$681,587); village and mill property, $169,500 (equalized $135,743);
personal property, $314,228. Schedule of taxes 1893: Contingent fund,
$663.55; town poor fund, $150; roads and bridges, $250; schools,
$1,035.29; county tax, $2,477.05; State tax, $1,304.9!); State insane tax,
$352. I 1 ; dog tax, $86. Total tax, $6,615. 19; rate per cent, .00511713.
The town has two election districts, and in 1893 polled 410 votes.
Marion Village.— This is the only village in the town of Marion.
It is situated south of the center of the town, on the west side of Red
WAYNE COUNTY 391
Creek and contains two "centers," locally known as the upper and lower
corners. Prior to 1810 the upper corners attained the greater impor-
tance of the two localities, and for several years thereafter it maintained
an equal competition. At the lower corners the first landed proprietors
were Daniel Lovell and Timothy Smith, whose successor in 1811 was
James Galloway. Timothy Smith erected the original of the present
hotel, one of whose long-time landlords was Samuel Todd, a major in
the War of 1812. Harris Cooley bought forty acres of land on the west
side of Main street and cleared it, and in front of the M. E. church he
stuck for a fence stake the huge willow tree which was cut down in 1880.
As early as 1800 a widow, Mrs. Styles, opened the first tavern in the
town and village on the lot owned by Amasa Stanton. It furnished
whisky to the early settlers; in this connection it is worth while to note
the fact that no licenses have been granted in the town for nearly fifty
years. Mrs. Styles was also a doctress and practiced the primitive
healing art along with her hotel business. The first gristmill, operated
by water power and having one run of stone, was erected by Isaac
Phillips in 1807. near the site of the present flouring mill. Rufus
Amsden early had a carding mill where the canning factory now stands.
Harkness Gifford carried on blacksmithing where Charles Jagger now
resides, and Judge Marvin Rich had a cabinet shop on the site of the
dwelling that was formerly used by Samuel Smith, blacksmith. The
first store was opened on the Isaac Morrison place by Enoch Turner,
who also had a tavern. A tavern and a distillery were conducted
by James Huggins where John Van Hee now lives. These various
industries flourished around the lower corners at a very early day and
constitute the foundation of the present thriving village.
In 1825 there were in operation here a grist mill, saw mill, distillery,
an ashery, blacksmith shop, post-office, the tavern of Daniel Wilcox, a
store kept by Archer Galloway, and a school ; there were four houses
on the west and seven on the east side of Main street.
The upper corners comprised a blacksmith shop, the cabinet shop of
Richard Bourne, the office of Dr. Seth Tucker, and about ten houses.
In 1831 a saw mill was built by James Wright and a Mr. Wing. It was
called an "ox-mill" from the fact that its power was obtained from a
tread wheel driven by oxen ; it stood on the site of the present ruins of
the old Cogswell saw mill.
Marion village now has two general stores, two hardware stores, two
drug stores, two groceries, two jewelry stores, two millinery shops, two
392 LANDMARKS OF
meat markets, one lawyer, three physicians, a newspaper and printing
office, one veterinary surgeon, a bakery, four wagon and blacksmith
shops, one hotel, five churches, the Marion Collegiate Institute, a fine
public school building, a grist mill, the foundry and machine shop of
Lewis Smith, a canning factory, a ladder and fruit evaporator manu-
factory, two undertakers, a mint stiil, and about 900 inhabitants. The
postmaster is J. E. Richmond. The grist mill was built by James Ran-
dall, who sold it to the present proprietor. The canning factory was
started in the old Curtis foundry and fanning mill manufactory in is!i:i
by the Wayne County Canning Company. H. K. White is the general
Ham, Center, in the northwest part of the town, formerly had a
post-office, but it was discontinued several years ago. It is now merely
a pleasant rural hamlet. The place took its name from Joel Hall and
his son Joel, jr., and Amasa, who settled there in 1810.
Churches. — The earliest religious services in town were held by
Rev. John Case, a Methodist. Elder Fairbanks, a Baptist, was proba-
bly the first of his denomination to preach here. Rev. vSeba Norton
began preaching in Marion in 1802, coming from Sodus every two
The first Baptist Church of Marion was organized as the First Baptist
Church of Williamson, February \M>, 1804, by Rev. Seba Norton, with
the following constituent members: Reuben and Anna Adams, Luke
and Elizabeth Phelps, Micajah Harding, Robert and Rebecca Springer,
Betsey Sherman, Sally Teal, Elder Seba Norton and wife Margaret,
David and Abby Harding, Ezra and Phebc Phelps, Sally Harding,
Betsey Adams, David Foster, and Mchitable Adams. The first Lord's
Supper was celebrated March lo, Iso I, by fifteen communicants, and
until L829 meetings were held in the Mason school house. In that year
the society erected the first church edifice in town. It was of wood,
with galleries on three sides, and stood on the site of the present east
street about twenty-five rods from the corner. In L850 it was trans-
formed into a store and is still used and known as the Clark building.
In L 850 the present church was erected and dedicated November 25.
This was repaired and remodeled in L867 and rededicated November
L5, by Rev. T. S. Harrison. The society bought a parsonage at an
early day which they subsequently sold to Mrs. Case (whose daughter,
Mrs. Seeley, now owns it), when the present one was built. The pas-
tor is Rev. J. D. Merrill and the membersnip of the church is about
WAYNE COUNTY. 393
L70. The Sunday school of the church has an average attendance of
I to pupils with H. M. Winslow, superintendent. The property of the
church is valued at about $12,000.
The Presbyterian Church of Marion was organized as the Congrega-
tional Church of Williamson in November, 1808, by Revs. James
I lotehkiss and Oliver Ayer. In 1825, at the organization of the town, the
name was changed to the .Congregational Church of Marion. Subse-
quently it adopted the Presbyterian form of government and its pres-
ent designation. The names of the eight original members are Luke
Phelps, Timothy and Ruth Smith, David Swezey, Zadoc and Thankful
Huggins, and Samuel and Sarah Waters. Luke Phelps was the first
deacon. Their first house of worship, a frame structure, was erected
and dedicated in 1831, was repaired in 1850 and again in 1866, and is
still in use. The first regular pastor was Rev. H. R. Powell in 1820;
the present incumbent is Rev. Charles Ray. The whole number of
members since the organization is about 600; the present number is
seventy-one. Willard Pullman is superintendent of the Sunday school,
which was organized about 1827 ; its attendance now is from fifty to
The Christian Church of Marion was organized November 1, 1820,
as the Church of God, by Rev. David Millard and Joseph Badger, with
forty-one members. In 1832 the first edifice, of stone, 36 by 40 feet,
was erected at the upper corners, and the first services were held in it by
Rev. Mr. Farley, September 16. Their present frame church, 40 by
60 feet, with a stone basement, was built in 1856 and dedicated in 1857
by Rev. John Ross. The value of the church property is $7,500. The
first pastor was Oliver True, who officiated until 1828; following him
have been Revs. Benjamin Farley, Joseph Bailey, E. M. Galloway, W.
T. Caton, Stephen Mosher, Amasa Stanton (from 1848 to 1866), Irving
BullocV(till 1879) Mr. Hammond, J. W. Lawton, J. W. Wilson, and E.
M. Harris since May, 1893. The society has 180 members. Their pres-
ent parsonage was built in 1892. The Sunday school has about 100
pupils under Richard B. McOmber, superintendent.
The First Methodist Episcopal Church of Marion was organized in
1845 by Rev. Porter McKinster, with twelve members, but the society
had no pastor or place of worship until 1854. In that year Rev. John
Dennis reorganized the church. Their frame edifice, 28 by 40 feet, was
erected in 1855 and dedicated in December; in 1878 it underwent ex-
tensive repairs, and the property, including a parsonage, is now valued
394 LANDMARKS OF
at about $4,500. The society has 100 members under the pastoral care
of Rev. E. H. King. The Sunday school, organized in 1854, has an
average attendance of sixty-five scholars.
The Reformed Church of Marion was formed in 1860 and legally organ-
ized with fifty-six members in 1870 by Rev. J. W. Warnshuis. In 1872
the present frame edifice, 40 by 72 feet, was built and dedicated. In
1871 Rev. J. W. Warnshuis was installed pastor and remained until
October, 1876. The present pastor is Rev. Peter Ihrman, who is also
superintendent of the Sunday school. The church has now about 300
members. Their frame parsonage was purchased of Charles L. Tassell
at a cost of $1,800.
HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF WALWORTH.
Walworth, lying in the middle of the towns which form the extreme
west border of Wayne county, was organized from Ontario on April 20,
1829. It is bounded on the north by Ontario, on the east by Marion,
on the south by Macedon, and on the west by Monroe county, and com-
prises an area of 20,425 acres. It received its name in honor of Gen.
Chancellor Walworth. With a surface of high, rolling upland, whose
ridges run almost parallel north and south, it is one of the most elevated
and picturesque parts of the county; from several points magnificent
scenery is visible in all the panoramic splendor of Mother Nature. The
deep valleys and .lofty hills, composed of a rich sandy loam, are very
fertile and easily cultivated, and to the industrious husbandman )deld
abundant crops of grain, hay, potatoes, fruit, etc. There are a number
of large orchards which, in favorable seasons, produce enormous
revenue. Drainage is afforded by several rivulets on the north and by
tributaries of Red Creek on the south. There is no water power in this
The land was originally covered with a dense growth of timber con-
sisting principally of beech, maple, hemlock, ash, and basswood, all of
which has fallen before the pioneer's axe, and been superseded by broad
fields of civilized industry. The wild game of early times long ago dis-
WAYNE COUNTY. 395
appeared, and the pretty homes of the present generation are surrounded
only by domestic animals. Instead of the rude log cabins of our fore-
fathers now stand the handsome residences made possible by their early
toil and frugality ; the malarial fever and ague which afflicted them so
terribly, disappeared with the changing conditions of man and climate.
The town of Walworth has never enjoyed the commercial advantages
granted to nearly all her sister towns in Wayne county ; yet it has ever
maintained a degree of prominence that speaks well for the industry
and enterprise of the inhabitants, and which has. placed it in the front
rank of the minor civil divisions of this State. Lacking the rapid ship-
ping facilities afforded by rail and water, its rich soil and industrious
population tend to offset the absent means of transportation. Its near-
est railroad stations are Walworth and Macedon on the New York
Central on the south, and Ontario and Lakeside on R. W. & O. on the
north, all distant from three to four miles from the bounds of the town.
It has been impossible to obtain much accurate information concern-
ing the early town meetings and officers. Many of the names of
supervisors are noted a little further on, and many others are omitted
because of the incompleteness of the records.
The settlement of Walworth began in the southeast part of the town
at or near what is now Walworth village, and the first settlers were
Andrew, John, Samuel, and Daniel Millett, brothers, who came hither
with their families in 1799. Andrew became insane it is said from
brooding over the belief that the world would soon be without wood
and liung himself. Daniel subsequently removed to Ohio, where he
was mistaken for a bear one evening, and shot. The other two brothers
lived in Walworth until their death. A younger brother, Alexander,
came in soon after his brothers and settled near them.
Stephen and Daniel Douglass came from Connecticut in 1811 and
located at the four corners at Walworth, and from them the place was
known as "Douglass Corners" until 1825. Stephen erected the first
frame building in the town in 1805, on the end of a log dwelling, and
opened it as the pioneer tavern. Five years later the log part was torn
down and the frame part removed, and on the site he built a larger
hotel, which he conducted until his death in 1812. The structure is
now (1894) used by Frederick C. Robie as a barn, its occupation as a
hotel terminating in 1826. Stephen Douglass, in 1807, also erected the
first frame barn in town. He was finally drowned in the canal. His
daughter, Mrs. James Finley, is a resident of Walworth.
396 LANDMARKS OF
Capt. Gilbert Hinckley, a Rhode Islander, settled in the eastern part
of the town in 1803, and in 1836 removed to Ohio. In 1804 Dea. Gideon
Hackett and Jonathan and James Hill became settlers, as did also John,
I >avid, and Jerry Chamberlain, from Connecticut. The next year
Luther Fillmore located at Walworth village and subsequently was
elected to the Assembly; he died here in 1838.
Other settlers of this period was Joseph Howe, the first shoemaker,
and Nathaniel Holmes and Ira Howard, the pioneer carpenters. In
1806 the settlement was increased by the arrival of Jonathan Miller, his
wife, daughter, and three sons, and his aged father; and about this
time Sylvester and Harvey Lee settled at West Walworth.
Among other early settlers were John, Nathan, and Enos Palmer,
brothers, who became wealthy; Jonathan Boynton, from Berkshire,
Mass., subsequently a member of the Legislature; and Stephen Chase,
Ebenezer Trask, Abner Rawson, Joseph Randolph, Isaac Dawley,
Simeon Stebbins, Joseph Day, and William Childs, all of whom settled
in the southern part of the town. Thomas Carpenter, Levi Salisbury,
David Upton, a Mr. Hurley, Moses Padley, and Daniel Gould (a
Canadian) located in the central part of Walworth; and John, Asa,
William, and James Scott, brothers, and Peter Grover, in the western
In February, 1807, Charles Finley came in from Connecticut with a
large family, of whom a child died on the way and a son, Reuben, died
here some years since. Another son, Lewis, resides in town. The latter
married May E. Quinby, and their son, Dr. Frank Finley, born here in
1859, died in Macedon May 6, 1893, after practicing medicine there
about three years.
Samuel Strickland, who died in the town some years ago, was born
in Connecticut in 1790. In 1798 his father removed to Redfield,
Oswego county, where he was the first settler, and built a saw and
grist mill on the Salmon River. Samuel came to Walworth in August,
1807, with his mother, and died here in 1845. He was a member of
the Free Will Baptist Church and served in the war of 1812 at Sodus
and on the Niagara frontier. He settled near the center of the town
as did also Samuel and Jedediah Smith, brothers. Samuel Smith
opened the first blacksmith shop in Walworth on land now owned by
Patrick Crowley's two sons, and finally went to Ontario, where he
manufactured iron from native ore.
Rowland Sackett, David Tiffany, David Foskett, and James Arnold
WAYNE COUNTY. 307
came into this town in 1808, and Joseph Strickland, a brother of Samuel,
became a settler in 1809. Capt. N. F. Strickland died in April, 1885.
About the year 1809 Thomas Kempshall removed hither from Roch-
ester and in 1815 erected, on the northeast corner at Walworth, the
first mercantile establishment in the town and village. Six years after-
ward he returned to Rochester and became a prominent miller.
James Benton, an idle, worthless fellow, presented himself to the
settlement about this time and followed the precarious life of a wander-
ing hunter. In the fall of 1809 he maliciously set fire to the wigwams
of the Indian village at Ridge.
Dr. Hurlburt Crittenden came here in 1804 and was the first physi-
cian in town, Gilmer Chase was a life-long resident of the town, and con-
spicuous in the Baptist Church. He died January 10, 1892. John
Craggs, whose widow owns the grist mill south of Walworth, just over
the line in Macedon, came here early in life and became the owner of
that mill about 1862. He was a mason and an active member of the
Baptist Church, died here August 1, 1889. Jacob and Asil Hossilton
settled in the western part of Walworth in 1812, and William Wylie lo-
cated at the east village in 1817. Jermain Andrew and J. Jay White
each served several years as supervisor. Daniel M. Smith, son of George,
was born in Farmington, N. Y., in 1803, married Elizabeth Herendeen
in 1824, and settled in Walworth in 1825. They were Quakers, and had
born to them six children.
The first death in the town was that of a man named Hopkins in 180G ;
soon afterward a Mr. Green was killed by a falling tree.
It is, of course, impracticable to note the arrival of all the settlers of
this town, but the foregoing covers most of those of early years who
were prominently instrumental in subduing the wilderness and laying
the foundations of present prosperity. Among the later generation,
many of whom are descendants of the sturdy pioneers, may be mentioned
the names of Hon. T. G. Yeomans (ex-member of Assembly), Daniel
Hoyt, Albert Yeomans, Lewis and Julian Finley, Orvis Potter (son of
Horace), Jerome Lawrence, C. P. Patterson, John Baker (a long-time
postmaster at Walworth), James W. Benton and his son (merchants),
Hon. Lucien T. Yeomans (member of Assembly in 1873), Frederick C.
Robie (town clerk), Richard Allison (the present supervisor), George
L. Lee (merchant), Frank Stoddard, Henry Dean (harness maker),
John Bennett (long a justice of the peace), and Peter Arnold. Nu-
merous others who are equally deserving of special mention are noticed
a little further on and also in Part II of this work.
398 LANDMARKS OF
In 1858 the town of Walworth had 15,859 acres of land improved:
real estate valued at $578,470; and a population of 991 males and 973
females. There were 390 dwellings and 34-7 freeholders. In 1890 its
population numbered 2, L95, a decrease since 1880 of 14:5. In 1893 the
real estate was assessed at $861,239 (equalized $765,522); personal
property $109,600; village and mill property $109,715 (equalized $121-,