held the same office at the date of his death in May, 1885.
• Prominent among other early settlers are recalled the names of James
Colborn, Dr. Peter Valentine (the first and for several years supervisor),
Dr. Richard S. Valentine (the doctor's son), John Closs (the father of
George, Harvey, Lorenzo, and Caleb H.), Elizur Flint, Charles
Thomas (the father of Eron N., Nathan W. , and Lorenzo C, all from
Pompey, N. Y.), Solomon Allen, Solomon Mirick (father of Ira,
408 LANDMARKS OF
George, Hiram, and Thomas), Orin Lackey, William Watkins, Amos
Covey, Robert Mason (father of Harvey), William Chaddock, Dudley
Wade (father of Ensign D.), Alonzo, William, jr., and Winfield Chad-
dock (sons of William, sr. ), Peter and Edward Aldrieh, David Smith,
Uriah Wade, John Skidmore, Gideon Henderson, John Barnes, Charles
Richards, Samuel Hunn, Jacob Miller, Mr. Burnham, Abel Lyon, Asa
Cook (in Rose Valley), Betts Chatterson, Charles G. Oaks (who died in
1883), Thomas Cullen, and Joel N. Lee (who died in October, 1880).
John J. Dickson, M. D., born in 1807, was for forty-five years a
physician in Rose and for twenty years was a justice of the peace. In
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
1845 he was elected to the Legislature, and became a charter member
of Rose Lodge, No. 590, F. and A. M., settling here in 1829, he died
February 15, 1874; the funerals of himself and his first wife were con-
ducted by the Masonic fraternity. Joel S. Sheffield located in this
town in 1854. He was supervisor and town clerk, holding the latter
office at the time of his death July 30, 1894.
Isaac Lamb was a very early settler. He was enterprising and popu-
lar and in 1823 he built a saw mill which ceased operations after a
period of sixty years. About 1838 he erected a grist mill, one of the
old stones of which is now used by Myron Lamb at North Rose as a
horse block. Further up the stream Ansel Gardner once built a card-
ing mill, but it was never utilized.
The first log house and the first frame dwelling were built by Caleb
Melvin. Thaddcus Collins, sr., is said to have set out the pioneer
orchard at the Valley as early as 1813. The first birth was that of
Milburn Salisbury and the first death was that of a child of Harvey
Gillett, both in 1812. Hosea Gillett and Hannah Burnham were mar-
ried in January, 1813, which was the first wedding in town.
A Dr. Delano was the pioneer physician, about 1813, but he remained
less than a year. The first settled physician in Rose was Dr. Peter
Valentine, and subsequent comers were Drs. Henry Van Ostrand,
Beden, Richard S. Valentine, and R. C. Barless.
The first grist mill was erected at Glenmark Falls by Simeon Van
Auken and Seth Whitmore in 1812; in IS 13 a saw mill was built.
These mills were afterward rebuilt by Hiram and Ira Mirick, and
among the various owners were J. Brown, William Chaddock, and
Henry Garlick. About a mile above these Elijah How put up the
pioneer saw mill in 1811 ; another was built a little below by Samuel
Hunn, and- Alfred Lee also erected one near the Valley. Other saw
WAYNE COUNTY. 409
mills on Thomas Creek were put up by Uriah Wade, Simeon T. Barrett,
and I limn & Chatterson. All were demolished when the Sodus Canal
was commenced, and the creek was widened and deepened for nearly
three miles to form a portion of that great ditch. In excavating for
the canal drift wood and animals' bones were discovered ten feet below
Willis G. Wade built at Rose Valley the first steam saw mill in 1848,
which he sold to Eron N. Thomas; it was burned in 1873 and rebuilt.
The second was erected in the west part of the town by Isaac Wood-
ruff; in 1859 its boiler blew up and killed a sawyer named Grinnell.
Conrad Young built the third steam saw mill at Wayne Center.
The first steam grist mill was erected in 1866 by William A. Mix.
Chaddock & Garlick built one at Rose Valley in 1873. In 1821 Simeon
Van Auken built a clothiery on Thomas Creek. His successor, John
Wan Auken, added wool carding machines, and the establishment
finally passed to Horace Converse, who discontinued it about 1850.
The only distillery ever operated in this town was built by Charles
Richards at Rose Valley about 1818; it ceased work after a year's ex-
istence. The first and only tannery was erected by William Watkins
and Charles Thomas about 1826; the building was subsequently used
as a storehouse by Robert N. Jeffers.
Among other early settlers and substantial citizens of the town may
be mentioned William and Jairus McKoon, Amaziah Carrier, John
Kellogg, John Q. Deady, Ira Lake, Henry Robinson (the father of ex-
State Senator Thomas Robinson, of Clyde, and John W. Robinson, of
Newark), Samuel Lyman (who raised the first frame building in Rose
without the use of liquor), Asa and Silas Town, William Dickinson,
Addison and James Weeks, Franklin Finch, Riley Winchell, John
Barnes, William Hickox, Thomas Craft (brother of Benjamin and
Abram) Oliver Colvin, Josephus Collins, Jackson Valentine, John Coll-
ier, Pender Marsh, Charles S. Wright, Austin Roe (a brother of Daniel
and the father of Daniel J., John B., and Rev. Austin Roe and Mrs.
Sheldon R. Overton), Daniel Brewster and Egbert Soper (brothers),
John Halloway, Moses Wisner, Jonathan Briggs, the Vandercocks, the
Vanderoefs, W. J. Glen, and many others noted a little further on or
more at length in Part II of this volume.
In 1835 the town had one grist mill, seven saw mills, a fulling works,
a carding mill, one foundry, an ashery, a distillery, one tannery, and
1,715 inhabitants. In 1845 there were two taverns, two stores, five
410 LANDMARKS OF
clergymen, three physicians, sixty-three mechanics, 830 farmers, and
2,031 inhabitants. In 1858 there were 13,272 acres improved land ; real
estate assessed at $527,507; personal property, $35,911 ; 1,084 male and
L,030 female inhabitants; 395 dwellings, 419 families, and 329 freehold-
ers; 12 school districts and 791 children; 754 horses, 1,286 oxen and
calves, 871 cows, 3,727 sheep, and 1,241 swine; productions: 9,778
bushels winter and 94,200 bushels spring wheat, 1,725 tons hay, 13,246
bushels potatoes, 28,535 bushels apples, 66,330 pounds butter, 7,075
pounds cheese, and 845 yards domestic cloths.
In 1890 the population was 2,107, or 137 less than in 1880. In 1893
the assessed valuation of land aggregated $716,450 (equalized $771,-
654); village and mill property, $109,595 (equalized $103,308); rail-
roads and telegraphs, $91,590; personal property, $51,250. Schedule
of taxes 1898: Contingent fund, $1,407.08; town poor fund, $520; roads
and bridges, $1,205; school tax, $931.19; county tax, $2,227.98; State
tax, $1,227.74; State insane tax, $316.73; dog tax, $40.50. Total tax
levy, $8,621.33; rate per cent., .00889819. The town has two election
districts, and in 1893 polled 302 votes.
The first regular school was taught by Sally Bishop in 1813; she used
for a school house an old vacant log dwelling about a mile and a half
north of Rose Valley, and was succeeded by Maria Viele, and she by
Rev. David Smith ; following them came Abigail Bunce, Catharine
Robinson, William H. Lyon, Gibson P. Center, John S. Roe, George
W. Ellinwood, George Seeley, George Paddock, Jackson Valentine,
Wallace St. John, and Isaac and John W. Robinson. The first school
house in Rose Valley was a log building on the site of Pimm's Hotel,
and in it Rev. David Smith taught the opening term. This primitive
school building was superseded by a frame structure in 1824 on a site
donated for the purpose by Thaddeus Collins. This in turn was re-
placed in 1846 by a stone school house, which was abandoned in L861
and the unused Presbyterian church purchased. In 1867 the present
building was completed and opened, the total cost being $4,000. The
district including North Rose was organized June 27, 1821. A school
house had doubtless been erected prior to that date. In 1827-8 it was
replaced by a new one, of frame. The present fine graded school
building was built a few years since. School District No. 2, known as
Stewart's, was the first one organized in town, and here Alvin Clark
was a very early teacher. The original school house in District No. 7,
after the stone building was erected, was converted into a dwelling and
WAYNE COUNTY 411
occupied by Jacob Tipple, a shoemaker, who died in 1853, and whose
wife lived to be over 100 years old, dying July 7, 1888. The stone
school house, built in 1840, and in which Arvine Peck was the first
teacher, was succeeded by the present building about 187').
In 1826 Rose was divided into nine school districts. The town now
has twelve school districts, each having a school house, which in
L892-3 employed fifteen teachers and were attended by 504 scholars.
The buildings and sites were valued at $10,090 and the districts are
assessed at $981,340; public money received from the State, $1,868.08;
raised by local tax, $2,427.50.
The first burial place in the town was that in the Stewart neighbor-
hood. In a similar plat in the north part of Rose Valley many of the
earlier interments were made, but encroachments of the village caused
it to be abandoned, and the bodies were removed to a new cemetery one
mile north. The first burials in the Ellinwood burying ground were
those of Samuel Ellis Ellinwood and wife.
During the War of the Rebellion the town of Rose contributed a
large number of her brave sons to fight the nation's battles. Each and
every one did valiant service at the front, and were distinguished by
heroism -and fidelity. To their memory the grateful citizens have
erected a town hall, in which the John E. Sherman Post, No. 401 G. A. R. ,
has a permanent home. This post was organized September 28, 1883,
with eighteen members.
Some fifty-five years ago a peculiar event transpired in Rose in the
Stewart neighborhood, the central scene being the present farm of Silas
Lovejoy. The occurrence is best told, as follows, from a former pub-
A number of people in this part of the county worked themselves into the delusion
that "money chests" of gold and precious stones lay buried beneath the surface in
this town, to which they were guided by invisible spirits through a " medium." On
several farms northeast of Rose Valley they assembled at night and silently dug for
the treasure., A single word spoken before it was found was fatal ; the treasure would
disappear and the evil spirits would rise against them. In this way the delusion was
fed and kept ablaze by those interested, who were always sure to break the silence,
when the deluded would run frightened away. On one occasion a kettle was pre-
viously buried, and when struck with a spade an exclamation caused the treasure in
it to vanish. To these ignorant men this supplied the most absolute proof, and the
effects of this foolish delusion are still visible in many places by partially rilled exca-
vations, where they labored with a zeal and energy worthy a better cause.
The interpreter of the "money diggers," as they were called, pretended to see the
" money chests," or hidden treasure, through a large, peculiar stone, which he always
412 LANDMARKS OF
retained with him. He held it to his eyes, and claimed the power to see through it
into the earth. Several visionary citizens of this town, with more strangers who came
here regularly, united in their mvstic meetings previous to all their diggings. As an
inducement to persons predisposed to the marvelous, it was related that the son of a
certain minister, then living in town, who was eighteen years of age and of good
habits, saw, one evening, in his father's granary, which was lighted up by super-
natural light, an image in the form of a "little child." Then again it appeared in
his bed-chamber, and, when addressed by the young man, replied that it was from
the " Court of Glory," and had come to reveal to him the hidden treasures of the
earth, and that if he would pray for the span of seven days it would appear the next
time in the form of a "beautiful young lady." In due time the "beautiful young
lady " appeared and made the promised revelation, the circle was formed, one of the
number was made captain, and the digging commenced. Night after night was
passed in hard labor under the particular direction of this invisible spirit. Circles
were carefully marked out around the pit to keep the d<=vil out. The money, or a
portion of it, was to be used for charitable purposes, and to alleviate the sufferings
of humanity. But after many fruitless attempts and much disappointment the cap-
tain, becoming incredulous, and losing confidence in the invisible guide, through
the interpreter, denounced the "beautiful spirit" as being the devil. Of course
this rebellious action could not be tolerated, and must be put down. Accordingly,
the captain was notified in writing to appear on a certain day to a trial before the
spirits and the circle. On the back of the notice he wrote "protested," but named
a day one week later, when the circle convened and the trial began. Innumer-
able spirits were seen by the minister and his son, and from ten a. m. to four p.
M. the patriarchs of old were called as witnesses, and everything was going against
the captain. The last witness was the spirit of Samuel, the prophet. The cap-
tain with all his power conjured Samuel to tell the truth and reveal the devil's
work. He was just ready to give up his case when, to his astonishment, and the
dismay of the circle, the prophet began performing under his own control. The
preacher and his son burst into tears to see poor old Samuel hopping about the
room on one foot, then down on the floor, playing bear witli a great load on his
back. The captain, having absolute control of the spirit, conjured him to faith-
fully answer such questions as he should put to him. " Can you at pleasure trans-
form yourself into a 'devil,' 'lamb,' or 'young lady?'" Answer, "I can." "Have
you been the only witness here to-day in the form of all the old patriarchs?"
Answer, " I have." " Are you the devil himself ?" Answer, "I am." The captain
was triumphant. The deluded parson, son, and all the circle were ready to give
up that it was all the work of the devil. Yet to such an extent did the cap-
tain believe in the power of the devil that he related, as a real occurence, that a
friend of his, while riding, was seized and taken up by the devil, carried through
the air seven miles, and, after a terrible struggle and fright, was released and
dropped in a barnyard. The captain was sent for, who, with the aid of a physi-
cian, restored him. It is stated that many a time while the others were in the
pit digging for their "gold" and "money chests" the devil would appear to the
sentry on the watch in the form of a bellowing bull or by heavy sounds of groan-
in-, or shrieks, which would put the whole party t<> flight.
WAYNE COUNTY. 413
Rose Valley. — This village is located a little southeast from the
center of the town at the intersection of the roads leading to Wolcott
North Rose, and Clyde, and maintains a daily stage communication
with these points. The post-office was established in 1827 as Valen-
tine's with Dr. Peter Valentine as postmaster. The name was subse-
quently changed to Albion, then to Rose Valley, and in 1834 to Rose,
and as such it has ever since remained. June 17, 1829, Charles Thomas
became postmaster and kept the office in his tavern; he was succeeded
by his sons, Nathan W. and Eron N. Thomas, the latter serving from
1832 to 1841, from 1845 to 1849, and from 1853 to 1861. Other post-
masters have been Hiram Salisbury, Benjamin Hendricks, Charles S.
Wright, Jackson Valentine, Daniel B. Harmon, George W. Ellinwood
(from 1869 to 1885), Joel S. Sheffield, E. F. Houghton, and George A.
Collier, the present incumbent. The first mail carrier was Timothy
The village was first settled by Capt. John Sherman and the Collins
family in 1811. The former located opposite the lower hotel, where
he built in 1815 a double log house, half of which he opened as a tavern.
This was the first public house in the town, and finally passed in turn
to Charles W. Thomas, Nathan W. Thomas, John J. Dickson, Ira
Mirick, and others. The present lower hotel was erected by Lorenzo
C. Thomas. The upper tavern, long known as Pimm's Hotel, was
built on the site of the first village school house, by Ira Mirick, the
first proprietor, who was succeeded by Hiram Mirick. Their father,
Solomon Mirick, died here in 1839. Ezra T. Pimm, the longest time
landlord, was elected president of the Wayne County Veterans' Asso-
tion in 1889. The first blacksmith was John Barrett, who built a shop
on the site of the Vanderoef residence about 1813. The first shoe shop
was opened by Robert Andrews. The first store in the place was
started in 1831 by John Barber, jr., who moved to Clyde one year later.
His successor was a former clerk, Eron N. Thomas, who continued
business until 1859. Other merchants have been Dr. Peter Valentine,
C. B. Collins, I. & H. Mirick, Charles S. Wright, Jackson Valentine,
George A. Collier, George W. Ellinwood, Joel S. Sheffield, and Charles
The first physician was Dr. Peter Valentine, who was also the first
supervisor. He settled here in 1819, and among his professional fol-
lowers have been Drs. John J. Dickson, Henry Van Ostrand, A. F.
Sheldon, George D. Whedon, James M. Horn, Lewis Koon, Richard S.
Valentine, and Romaine C. Barless.
414 LANDMARKS OF
The carriage and wagon shop of M. T. Collier was started by Collins
& Lakey, who sold to William II. Thomas. He conducted it until
1861, when it came into the possession of the firm of Thomas & Collier
(M. T. Collier), by whom it was continued till the death of Mr,
Thomas. Since then Mr. Collier has been sole proprietor. The grist
mill of William A. Mix was burned in July, 1872, and was rebuilt as a
saw and cider mill.
In 1857 the Rose brass band was organized with twelve pieces, the
successive leaders being Z. Deuler, E. B. Wells, and D. B. Harmon.
It then went into the army and remained in the service as a band until
the war closed, when it disbanded. In 1 8 ( i 8 it was reorganized and
continued many years. It finally went down, and the present Rose
Cadet Band was formed.
Rose Valley now contains four general stores, a hardware store, one
newspaper and two printing offices, three blacksmith shops, a carriage
and wagon shop, a saw and cider mill, two hotels, a meat market, four
churches, a public school, a town hall,- three physicians, and about 500
North Rose is a station and post-village on the.R. W. & O. Railroad
in the north part of the town. It owes its growth and present propor-
tions mainly to the railway, which gave it a new impetus and awakened
numerous business interests. It was originally known as Lamb's Cor-
ners from the family of that name who settled the site at an early day.
The post-office was established about 1860 with David Lyman as post-
master; the present incumbent is Thomas B. Welch. Soon after the
completion of the railroad John York erected a large malt and store
house, which was burned with two stores, in May, 1891, entailing a
loss of over $00,000. It has never been rebuilt. While drilling an ar-
tesian well on the premises a pocket of natural gas was struck. In Oc-
tober, 1880, a cooper shop, house, barn, and other property were de-
stroyed by fire, causing a loss of $8,000. The village now consists of
three general stores, one hardware and one drug store, an hotel, a lum-
ber and coal yard, etc., a fine graded school, one church, and about 250
Wayne Center, so named from its close proximity to the geograph-
ical center of Wayne county, is a postal hamlet in the extreme west
part of Rose; the post-office was established in L863 with Joel II. Put
nam as postmaster. The present incumbent is J. W. Trimble. It lies
on the same meridian as Washington, D. C. The place contains a store,
WAYNE COUNTY. 415
barrel factor)' and saw mill, a blacksmith shop, and a small cluster of
Gti'.N.MARK, or (ilenmark Falls, is a hamlet and mill site on Thomas
Creek about two miles west of North Rose. It is named from the beau-
tiful scenery, and in days gone by was an important milling point, the
stream affording excellent water power. It contains some abandoned
mills, a shop or two, and the store of Albert Ellis.
Churches. — The Baptist Church of Rose was organized at Rose,
Valley as the Second Baptist Church of Wolcott on January 3, 1820,
with these members: Hosea Gillett, John Skidmore, Peter Lamb, Joel
and Chauncey Bishop, Phebe Bishop, Clara Burns, Hannah Miner,
Sally Skidmore, Rachel and Martha Bishop, Lydia Fuller, Simantha
Leland, Hannah Gillett, and Nancy Ticknor. The first meetings were
held at the house of Joel Bishop, where was also convened the council
on May 3, to extend the hand of recognition. Chauncey Bishop was
the first clerk and served until July, 1855, when George Seeley was
elected and held until September, 1881 being succeeded by Lucien H.
Osgood. In 1834 the church joined the Wayne Baptist Association, of
which it has ever since been a member. The first pastor was Rev. Da-
vid Smith, who was installed January 8, 1821 ; the present pastor is
Rev. Maxwell H. Cusick since 1891. Their first church edifice was
built in 1836, the building committee being Chauncey Bishop, Ira Mi-
rick and Dr. Peter Valentine. The site was purchased in Rose Valley
of Hiram Mirick. The building was remodeled in 18G1 and again in
1885-86, the expense of the last renovation being $4,400. The society
has about 125 members and owns a frame parsonage. The church was
incorporated March 17, 1834, with the following trustees: David
Holmes, Chauncey Bishop, Ira Mirick, Dr. Peter Valentine and Joseph
The First Methodist Episcopal Church of Rose Valley was organized
September 21, 1827. Circuit preaching and class meetings had been
held for many years. The first permanent Methodist preacher in the
town was doubtless Alfred Lee, who came at an early date from Ver-
mont. Caleb Mills held religious services in a log school house in the
Valley as early as 1819. The first class was formed in 1824 with Mr.
Lee as leader, and the first members were Charles and Polly Thomas^
William Watkins, Zemira Slaughter, and Abigail Bunce. The society
was legally organized August 27, 1832, with these trustees: Abel Lyon,
Jacob Miller, Samuel E. and Chester Ellinwood, George W. Mirick,
416 LANDMARKS OF
Robert Andrews. Thaddeus Collins, Isaac Lamb, and Moses F. Collins.
Eron N. Thomas was clerk, and the certificate of incorporation was filed
September 13, L833. February 26, L836, the church was reorganized
with three trustees instead of nine, viz. : Ellis Ellinwood, Joel X. Lee,
and George W. Mirick. Thaddeus and Chauncey Collins donated the
site and a cobblestone church was erected in 1835-6 on the site of Mrs.
Augusta Allen's house. It cost $1,200, had a high box pulpit and gal-
leries on three sides, and was burned April 18, 1850. In 1860-61 the
present edifice was erected at a cost of nearly $7,000; it was dedicated
March ;;, L864. It was repaired at a cost of $1,000 and reopened Au-
gust 27, L889. The present pastor is Rev. W. H. Rogers. The society
owns a parsonage and has about 100 members.
The First Presbyterian church of Rose Valley was organized at the
Closs school house February 17, 1825, by Revs. Francis Pomeroy and
Benjamin Stockton, with these members: John and Eunace Wade,
Aaron and Polly Shepard, Simeon and Lydia Van Auken, Rufus
Wells, and Moses Hickok. Aaron Shepard was chosen deacon and
John Wade and Moses Hickok elders. In 1833 their first house of
worship was erected and dedicated at the Valley on a site purchased of
Hiram Mirick a little east of the Baptist church ; about 1862 it was sold
to the village for a school house, finally became a mill, and was burned
many years since. Another site was bought of William Vanderoef
and upon it was built the present handsome brick structure at a cost of
about $8,000. It was dedicated in 1865. January 5, 1846, the society
adopted the Congregational form of government, but on April 18, 1851,
it w r as received back into the Presbytery. The first clerk was James
Van Auken, then Smithfield Beaden, and Elizur Flint from November,
L 834, to October, 1882. The society owns a parsonage and has about
sixty-five members. The present pastor is Rev. N. B. Knapp.
The Free Methodist church of Rose Valley was organized as earl)- as
L861, when the charge was supplied by Revs. Mr. Burton and J. W.
Stacey. In 1862 Rev. William Cooley became pastor," and during his