largely won. He adored and adorned his profession ; and what more can be said of a
lawyer? A grounded lawyer, a wise counselor, a fierce but fair antagonist, a born ad-
vocate, a loyal friend, he laid down his life in the midst of years, in the flush of profes-
sional power, in the zenith of fame.
On this occasion feeling tributes were paid to Mr. Camp's life and memory by various
leading members of the bar.
EZRA A. EDGETT.
The parents of Ezra A. Bdgett settled in Oneida county when he was twelve years
old, removing from Greene county where he was born November 21, 1828. He re-
ceived his education in the district and select schools of Oneida county, and removed
with his family to Wayne county in 1865. He possessed excellent business qualifica-
tions and early engaged in the preserving business, founded the Wayne County Pre-
serving Company and was in the business more than thirty years. Conducting his
business upon principles of integrity, he was successful in a material sense and gained
the respect of the community. On December 16, 1856, he married Harriet C. Marvin,
of Camden, Oneida county, and they have had four children, as follows; James C, who
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
was associated in the business of his father; married Anna L. Wilcox, of Port Gibson,
N. Y., and has one son, Oliver. Edith M. married William R. Conover and resides in
Boston; has one daughter, Halla. Mary L. resides with her mother ; and George, who
died in infancy. Mr. Edgett died January 30, 1889. Since his death the preserving
business has been carried on by his widow and Edwin K. Burnham, at Newark.
S. N. SAWYER.
The subject of this sketch is a son of Samuel W. Sawyer and Hannah Nelson Sawyer.
Samuel W. Sawyer was born in Camden, N. Y., in 1821, and removed to Macedon,
N. Y., in childhood. He settled in Palmyra about the year 1840, and has since resided
there. He has served as assessor, as trustee, and as president of the vilfage.
S. N. Sawyer was born in Palmyra October 6, 1853, and received his education in the
Classical Union School of his native place, and at Phillips Academy, Andover, Mass.,
in LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
graduating in 1877. Having determined to adopt the profession of law, he studied in
the office of S. B. Mclntyre, of Palmyra, and attended the Albany Law School, from
which he graduated in 1883, and at once formed a partnership with the late David S.
Aldrich, under the firm name of Aldrich & Sawyer. This firm continued in business
until January 1, 1889, after which Mr. Sawyer practiced alone until July 1, 1893, when
he organized the firm of Sawyer & Tinklepaugh, which is still in existence.
Mr. Sawyer is an active Republican in politics, and a public spirited and enterprising
citizen. He served as justice of the peace one term ; was clerk of the village from
September, 1884, to April, 1893, when he was elected president of the village, and
re-elected in 1894. In these positions he has fully met the expectations and approbation
of his fellow citizens.
In the fall of 1888 he was elected district attorney of the county, served his term and
was re-elected. In this responsible position he has succeeded in wirining an unusual
proportion of the cases that have come into his charge. He was three years secretary
of the New York State League Building and Loan Association and is now a director in
the Wayne Building and Loan Association and its counsel.
Mr. Sawyer is a prominent member of the Masonic order; is past master of Palmyra
Lodge No. 248; past high priest of Palmyra Eagle Chapter No. 79, R. A. M.; past master
of Palmyra Council No. 21, R. & S. M.; past commander of Zenobia Commandery No.
41, K. T.; past district deputy grand master of the Grand Lodge of this State ; and he
is now (1894) chief commissioner of appeals of the Grand Lodge of the State.
On October 20, 1885, Mr. Sawyer married Augusta, daughter of Rev. John G.
Webster, of Palmyra, and they have two daughters.
OLIVER HURD ALLERTON
Was born in Amenia, Dutchess county, N. Y., on the 17th of April, 1816. His
father was Samuel W. Allerton, who was also a native of Amenia, where he was born,
December 5, 1785. He was educated in the district schools of his native town, and in
the select school of Rev. Dr. Barnett, a Presbyterian minister. His father and his
grandfather were both professional men, studied medicine and practiced as physicians.
His father was Doctor Reuben Allerton, and was a surgeon in the Revolutionary
war, and was present at the battle of Saratoga and surrender of Burgoyne. From the
surgeon of the British general he received a portion of his instruments, which are still
in the possession of the family. The ancestry of this family is clearly traceable
through eight generations from the Mayflower and came from England. Samuel W.
Allerton was a farmer and married Hannah Hurd, of Amenia, and they had nine chil-
dren, four sons and five daughters, all living as follows: Cornelia, Amarillys, Henry R.,
now a resident of Newark, N. Y., Orville H. (the subject), Amanda H., Byron (see
personal sketch in later pages of this volume), Rebecca II., Lois J. and Samuel W.
Samuel W., sr., settled in Benton, Yates county, in 1842. In 1849 the family removed
into Wayne county, and carried on farming fifteen years. Mr. Allerton resided in
1'. I ((GRAPHICAL. 1!
Newark village after that until his death in August, 1885, when he lacked only three
months and twenty-five days of being 100 years old.
Cornelia Allerton married Walter Sherman of Dutchess county ; Amarillys married
Shadrack Sherman of the same county. Henry R. is a resident of Newark village,
where his sister, Mrs. Taber, has charge of his household. Amanda H. married Will-
iam Taber. Byron married Helen Sherman of Dutchess county. Rebecca H. and
Lois J. reside with their brother, Henry R. in Newark. Samuel W. married first
Pamelia Thompson, and second, Agnes Thompson, and lives in Chicago.
Orville Hurd Allerton attended district and select schools of Dr. Lenord, also the
Amenia Seminary until he was about thirteen years of age, when he began business
life in a store in Nassau, N. Y., with an uncle. He early evinced a taste for mercan-
tile pursuits and served as clerk for twelve years, his last engagement being in Elmira
with the well-known John Arnot. During this long period he acquired a thorough
knowledge of business principles and laid a foundation of character, integrity and in-
dustry which enabled him in later years to reach a high measure of success. Coming
to Newark, N. Y., in 1842 he began a mercantile career, which continued twenty-five
years By the exercise of the qualities just named, with proper economy, he gained a
At the close of his mercantile career he went to Pittsburgh, Pa., as superintendent
of the Pennsylvania stock yards, a position of great responsibility and liberal compen-
sation. He remained there seventeen years, when he retired, after over fifty years of
active business life, in the enjoyment of the entire confidence and esteem of his em-
ployers. He was succeeded in the position by his son, Orville H., jr.
About the year 1881 his family returned to Newark, where he soon afterward built
the most imposing residence in the village, and has since lived a life of retirement from
On January 15, 1845, he married Eliza A. Dean, of Dresden, Yates county, N. Y.,
and they have had two children : Clarence, who died at nine months of age, and Or-
ville H., jr. The latter was educated in the Newark Academy, and in business schools
in Poughkeepsie and Elmira; married Ida C. Leggett, of Newark, and has two children :
Ida May and Edith Marie.
Mr. Allerton is liberal minded and honorable in all his dealings and intercourse with
his fellow citizens, believing that "nothing is useful but what is honest," hence has no
love for demagogism of any kind. The man who made a thousand dollars a year by
attending to his own business, and a thousand dollars more by letting other people
alone, he believes is a good example to follow. Mr. Allerton is a Republican in politics,
but his own business interests have always prevented him from assuming activity in
the political field, except in local affairs. He is a public-spirited and respected citizen
in all the relations of life.
12 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
The subject of this sketch was bora in Bavaria, Germany, December 29, 1826, and
died on his homestead in the town of Arcadia, Wayne county, May 26, 1894. When
he was eight j^ears old he was taken by his parents to France, where he worked in fac-
tories and after his father's death supported his mother and the other children of the
family. He immigrated to this country in 1852, located first in Rochester, later in
Lyons, and still later in the town of Galen. On May 16, 1853, he married Barbara
Oswald, of Lyons, and after leaving Galen he purchased the farm where he passed the
remainder of his life. When he first occupied the place it was very much run down,
but by his industry and the aid of his wife and children, he made it one of the best and
most productive farms in the town. Mr. Mestler was a man of probity and good busi-
ness ability. He was the father of sixteen children, fourteen of whom lived to matu-
rity, as follows : Caroline, Mary M., Rosa B., Julia, Anna B., Henry J., Albert N.,
George H. (married Etta Parish and is in employ of the New York Central Railroad
Company), Philip L. (married Josephine Masters and has three children : Mertorr Roy
and George) ; Louis P. (married Lottie Snyder of Clyde and has two children : Harris
and Meda) ; he is also employed by the New York Central Railroad Company ; Cath-
arine M. (married Charles Thompson of Lyons and they have three children : Edna,
Clarence and David ) ; Susanna P. (married William Dayton of Newark, and they have
one daughter, Lillie M.); Sarah J. (married John C. Cook of Newark, and they have
two children : Robert and William) ; and William R. (married Ada Smith of Rochester
and is a bookkeeper of that city.)
EDWIN K. BURNHAM
Is a native of Vermont, where he was born in Randolph, September 8, 1839. He is a
son of Ammi Burnham and Lucy (Young) Burnham, and one of thirteen children, eleven
of whom were born to the wife named, and two to a second wife. Four of these
children are now living. Ammi Burnham was a farmer and brickmaker, a man of more
than common intelligence, and was elected to the Vermont State Legislature in .1851.
Edwin K. Burnham attended district school and afterwards the academy in Royalton,
Vt., finishing his studies in the Orange County (Vt.) Grammar School. The call to
arms in the war of the Rebellion found him ready to respond, and in 1862 he enlisted in
Company C of the 15th Vermont Infantry. He participated in the great Gettysburg
battle and received an honorable discharge in 1863 with the rank of sergeant. In the
spring of 1864 he graduated from the Albany Law School and was admitted to practice
in the courts of this State. In June of the same year he settled in Newark, N. Y.,
where he formed a law partnership with James E. Briggs, who was also a native of
Vermont. In September of that year he re-enlisted in the army, and on October 10,
1864, received a captain's commission in Company D, 111th Regiment of New York
Infantry, and left for the front. His regiment participated in the operations around
Petersburg until he was taken prisoner, April 2, 1865. He was returned to his com-
mand on the 9th of April, the day on which Lee surrendered to Grant, and received his
honorable discharge June 4, 1865.
Returning to Newark Mr. Burnham entered upon active practice of his profession.
In 1872 he founded the Newark Union newspaper. In the fall of 1884 he was elected
to the State Legislature by the Democrats and was largely instrumental in the passage
of the bill establishing the custodial asylum for feeble-minded women, which was located
at Newark and is now a flourishing and useful institution; of this he is secretary and a
member of the Board of Trustees. In June, 1889, he was appointed superintendent of
public buildings, which position he filled with ability and honor. One of the first
innovations made by him was the rule that the national flag should float from the staff
on the capitol at Albany every week day through the year; this was the origin of that
other patriotic movement for the display of the flag on public school buildings in this
Mr. Burnham at the present time (1894) owns a one-half interest in the Wayne
County Preserving Company at Newark and has twenty acres devoted to fruit and
vegetable growing. He has served as supervisor of the town four terms, and as justice
of the peace eight years. It will be seen that he has found various interests to draw
him to some extent away from his profession ; but he has always retained his love for it
and has never relinquished active practice, in which he is recognized as an efficient and
On August 31, 1865, Mr. Burnham married Nancy A. Dillingham, a niece of Governor
Dillingham, of Vermont. They have had four children, one of whom died in infancy.
The others are : George A., Edwin D., and Helen E.
Mr. Burnham is a member of Vosburgh Post No. 99, G. A. R., of which he has been
commander four terms. He is also a member of Newark Lodge No. 83, F. & A. M.,
and of the order of Odd Fellows No. 250 ; of the A. 0. U. W. No. 17 ; and of the local
Lyman Bickford was born in East Bloomfield, November 1, 1820, Azariah Bickford,
his father, being a native of Maine. His grandfather, Rev. James P. Bickford, went to
Rochester in the year 1812, being one of the first settlers at that time. He afterward
removed to Michigan, where he died at the age of eighty- four years. Azariah Bickford
was a blacksmith by trade and started business in East Bloomfield. In 1819 he married
Philana Perkins, of the town of Victor, and their family consisted of nine children,
Lyman B. being the eldest. Azariah Bickford died in 1886, aged eighty-four years.
Lyman Bickford is a machinist and has carried on business since 1842. At present he
is retired. April 28, 1842, he married Elvira Perkins, and they are the parents of three
children : Alary, who married Col. Henry P. TTnderhill, dying in her twenty-sixth year,
and two sons, deceased. Mr. Bickford is a member of the Masonic fraternity, Macedon
14 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
Lodge No. 665. He is a member of the Universalist church. In politics he is a Democrat
and served as supervisor for five years. He was the founder of the Bickford &
Huffman Company, now doing business in Macedon village.
EDGAR D. MILLER.
Edgar D. Miller was born in Port Gibson, Ontario county, July 11, 1854, was edu-
cated in the district schools and Macedon Academy, also Genesee Wesleyan Seminary
at Lima, and also at Fort Edward Institute. He read law with Comstock & Bennett in
Canandaigua nearly two years, then went to the Albany Law School to complete his
studies, graduated, and was admitted to the bar in 1876. Since this he has continued
to practice his profession, sometimes with a partner, and at other times alone. Mr.
Miller has twice served as village clerk of the village of Newark, and two terms as a
justice of the peace of the town of Arcadia. He has served as county committeeman
several years, and has also been several times a delegate to Democratic State conven-
tions, which party he supports invariably. He was appointed superintendent of Section
No. 8, Erie Canal, by Hon. Edward Hannan, superintendent of public works, August
1, 1893. His father, James N., was born in Phelps November 22, 1819, and has been
a merchant, dealer in real estate, and a farmer. November 3, 1842, he married Mary
J. Turner, of the town of Manchester, and they had five children: Alice 0., wife of
David Gray; Frank, Dewilda, both who died young; and Audessa, wife of Edwin
Van Wormer, by whom she has one daughter, Ollie I., residing with her Grandfather
Miller. Mrs. Miller died October 24, 1890. Mr. Miller's father, Daniel, was born in
New Jersey in 1789 and came here with his parents when a boy. He married Jane
Gunnung, and they had eight children : Nancy A., Cynthia, James N., John J., Melissa,
Mary J., Caroline, William H., who died young; Edna, and Albert D., who is a farmer
on the homestead, which has been in the family without a break since the time of
Edgar D. Miller's great-grandfather, Jacob, who bought it of the government.
Daniel Miller died August 31, 1852, and his widow August 30, 1878. He was a
soldier of 1812.
Among the many Germans who have in the past left their own country for the freer
air and better conditions of America, was the father of John Stuerwald, and his wife,
Lena (Green) Stuerwald, with their children. Charles Stuerwald was born in 1817,
was a graduate of a college and a man of considerable prominence in his native country,
held the office of mayor of his town, and was otherwise honored. He died in 1891 and
his wife in 1893. John Stuerwald was born in Bavaria, Germany, March 2, 1848, and
was only two jears old when his parents emigrated and settled in Lock Berlin, Wayne
county, N. Y. He was given good opportunity to secure an education, through the
district schools, with two years in the Union School and the academy at Clyde. At the
age of seventeen years he began teaching school, which he continued in the winters
until 1S71, during which period he was also employed a part of the time as clerk in
Lock Berlin. In 1872 he embarked in the furniture and undertaking business in East
Newark, which he continued with success six years, and then removed to Newark,
where he greatly extended his business. Locating first in leased property he began in
1883 the erection of his fine business and residence block on Union street, which he has
occupied since. Mr. Stuerwald is recognized as a man of good judgment in public as
well as private affairs; he is a Republican in politics and earnest in support of his party.
He was chosen trustee of Newark village and held the office eight years, and was
president of the village one year. He is a member of Newark Lodge No. 83, F. & A. M.;
Newark Chapter No. 117, R. A. M.; and the K. 0. T. M. No. 115. On February 21, 1874,
Mr. Stuerwald married Eliza V. Gee, of Newark, and they have one son, Fred, who is
now a student.
ORLANDO FRANKLIN THOMAS.
Orlando Franklin Thomas was born in Brooklyn, L. I., November 12, 1856, and is
a son of Benjamin Franklin and Anna (Meade) Thomas. The family is descended from
Scotch ancestry through later English branches. Benjamin F. Thomas was a son of
Clarence Erastus Thomas, a respected farmer of this State, and was himself a lumber
dealer of Brooklyn. He died in 1884, leaving a widow, who still survives, and five
children, all of whom are living.
Orlando Franklin Thomas received his education in the Brooklyn' Polytechnic Institute,
finishing in Hines' Military Academy at Garden City, N. Y., which he left when he was
about fifteen years of age. He early gave evidence of native business qualifications,
and his first employment after leaving school was as office boy in a large sugar refinery.
From this position he was advanced to shipping clerk in a coffee warehouse. With some
unimportant exceptions these two engagements occupied his time until he was twenty-
four years old, when he made an engagement that was to determine his occupation for
many years and lay the foundation of a remarkably successful business career. He
accepted a position to travel in the interest of the Manhattan Silver Plate Company,
then a very modest establishment in New York city, in which James H. Young was the
controlling partner. Mr. Thomas not only sold the goods of the company successfully,
but he also suggested or instituted improvements that greatly advanced the business.
Three years later he purchased the interest of Mr. Young's partner and took direct
charge of the factory. He largely increased the line of goods, extended their sale with
enterprise and vigor, and in three years after becoming a partner larger quarters were
necessary, and the factory was removed to Brooklyn and established in their own build-
ing. The business continued to increase, and in 1885, in order to better carry out the
plans of Mr. Thomas and his associate, the present corporation was formed and Mr.
Thomas was made secretary and Mr. Young president. The success of the company
16 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
since that time has been remarkable and is very largely due to the individual efforts of
Mr. Thomas. In order to escape prevailing labor troubles the company resolved to re-
move the factory away from Brooklyn, which was accomplished in 1889. The citizens
of Lyons, Wayne county. N. Y., interested themselves in securing the works for their
village, a part of the stock being taken by them, and that place was selected for the
location of the factory. The large brick building now occupied was fitted up and
adapted for the business, and Mr. Thomas purchased the holding of Mr. Young at the
time of removal, was made president of the company and the practical direction of the
immense business has since continued in his hands. Its development since it was brought
to Lyons has been, perhaps, more astonishing than its previous career, the value of its
outfit having muliiplied five or six times. Stores have been established for the sale of the
company's goods in New York, Chicago, St. Louis, San Francisco, and Sydney, Australia.
These are all managed directly from Lyons and have been placed in successful operation
under the administration of Mr. Thomas. About 250 hands are now employed in the
In his business intercourse Mr. Thomas is prompt in decision, clear-headed and prac-
tical in the consideration of new measures, genial and courteous to his fellows, and in-
spired by faith in himself and the correct business principles which have governed his
life. Politically he is a Republican, but he has never found time to give more than the
good citizen's attention to that interest.
Mr. Thomas was married in 1880 to Emma Yan Cleaf, of Brooklyn. They have one
child thirteen years old.
HON. WILLIAM CLARK.
Hon. William Clark was born at Ovid, Seneca county, N. Y. ; February 9, 1810.
His ancestors on both his father's and mother's side served with credit in the Revolu-
tionary war, and on his father's side in the Indian and Colonial wars also. He was
the oldest son in a family of eight children, four boys and four girls. Two of his
younger brothers were the late Juds;e John T. Clark of Wisconsin, and Gen.
Emmons Clark of New York city, for twenty-five years Colonel of the Seventh Regiment,
and now and since 1866 Secretary of the New York City Health Department. One of
his sisters is Mrs. Sophronia C. Bottume, of Lyons, widow of the late Dr. E. W. Bottume.
He moved with his father, William Clark, a well known Presbyterian minister, at the
age of six years, to Huron, Wayne county, where he remained, except about two
years — which he spent attending Ovid Academy — until he c:.me to Lyons to study law
at the age of twenty. Here he entered the office of Graham H. Chapin, and afterwards
that of John M. Holley. He was admitted to practice as an attorney at law in the
Supreme Court in January, 1838, and practiced at Lyons for two years, when he
entered into partnership with John M. Holley, which continued till Mr. HolleyVdeath
while a Member of Congress. Mr. Clark was also admitted in due course, under the
system which was then in force in this State, as a counselor at law in the Supreme
Court in January, 1841, as a solicitor in chancery in January, 1838. and as a counselor
in chancery in July, 1843. He was also admitted to practice in the District and Circuit
Courts of the United States in and for the Northern District of New York in March,
1842. After Mr. Holley's death Mr. Clark practiced alone down to the time of his
leaving Lyons for Denver, Colorado, except for a few years when Col. Anson S. Wood,
now of Wolcott, N. Y., was associated with him under the firm name of Clark &
Wood, and from 1870 to 1876, when his son, William H. Clark, who was Member of
Assembly from the Eastern District of Wayne county in 1875, was associated with him
under the firm name of W. & W. H. Clark.
He always took a deep interest in politics, first as a Whig and afterwards as a Re
publican, and was State Senator in 1854-5, and chairman of the Judiciary Committee.
While a strong and convincing advocate, Mr. Clark was particularly well known as a