W. Griffith) ; (7) Frederick W. Griffith, the subject of this sketch. The orthography of the name
Malet was long since Americanized into the modern Malette.
32 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
through his own exertions. His father's limited means afforded him only small assistance
in a pecuniary way, and the struggle was all the more severe because of the apparent afflu-
ence of classmates. He is, in consequence, a self-made man in every sense of the term,
and exemplifies the courage, perseverance, and single-mindedness of true American
youth and manhood. With an ambition born of purpose and constancy he schooled
himself not only in the vast field of literary and mathematical research but in all the
requirements of life and advantages derived from a diversified knowledge. Leaving
college he was for one year an instructor in Greek and Latin in Kirkland Hall, a boys'
preparatory school at Clinton, N. Y., and in 1889 his alma mater conferred upon him
the honorary degree of A. M.
In the autumn of 1887 Mr. Griffith came to Palmyra and associated himself in busi-
ness with 0. J. Garlock and Eugene Nichols, both men of exceptional ability and pecu-
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
liarly adapted to the work which has since proved so successful. The firm, which was
organized by these three gentlemen in September of that year, adopted the name of
The Garlock Packing Company, which it still bears, manufacturing packings for steam,
water, and ammonia. The business started with little cspital and with an output of
$1,500 monthly. It has steadily increased in volume and now produces about $350,000
worth of goods per annum. The firm has offices under their own name in all the piinci-
pal cities of the United States and also a branch factory in Rome. Ga. It is one of the
leading manufacturing establishments in the county.
October 1, 1889, Mr. Griffith married Miss Mary E. Adams, daughter of M. C. Adams,
a native of Oneida county and a farmer of Phelps, N. Y. They have one child, Fred-
erick Adams Griffith, born September 7, 1894. Mr. Griffith is an elder in the Presby-
terian church and thoroughly identified with every movement of public importance.
CHARLES H. FORD.
Charles H. Ford, son of Harvey W. and Nancy (Little) Ford, now residents of
Oneida county, was born in Utica, N. Y., October 19, 1861. He is the eldest of three
children ajid spent his boyhood in the place of his birth. His education was acquired
in the public schools, in Boonville Academy, in Whitestown Seminary, and in the
Utica Business College, institutions which thoroughly equipped him with a practical
knowledge of all the English branches and many of the classics. His first employment
was as a clerk in a store. In 1877 he went to Auburn to fill a responsible position in a
large wholesale tobacco house, where he remained four years. In 1881 he came to
Clyde, Wayne county, where he has ever since resided, and where he engaged in busi-
ness for himself under the firm name of Smith & Ford, wholesale tobacco dealers, a
partnership that continued untilSeptember, 1893. Since then Mr. Ford has conducted
the business alone.
During the period of fourteen years which Mr. Ford has spent as a citizen of this
county he has become thoroughly identified with both public and business affairs. His
private commercial operations have placed him among the leaders in finance and execu-
tive management, while his active connection with other enterprises distinguishes him
for rare ability and unerring judgment. He was one of the originators of the Clyde
Electric Light and Power Company, of which he has been president and is now a direc-
tor and a large stockholder. He is a Democrat in politics and has always taken a fore-
most part in all political movements. He has served as trustee of the village of Clyde
one term and as supervisor of the town of Galen two years. In the latter capacity he
was instrumental in changing the sheriff's office to its present status, drafting the bill
and fathering it to a passage and a law, thus fixing the extremely low salary now paid.
He was influential also in changing the county clerk's office as it now exists. Both
these changes have proven inestimably beneficial to taxpayers. He was appointed
canal superintendent by Governor Hill and re appointed by Governor Flower, serving
in all nearly three years, and in this capacity attained a large circle of acquaintances
and great political power. He resigned this office in May, 1893, and in March, 1894,
was appointed sheriff of the county to fill the unexpired term (to January 1, 1895) of
Walter Thornton, deceased. He has frequently been a delegate to county and district
conventions and represented his constituents in this capacity at the Democratic State
conventions of 1S91 and 1894, In all these positions Mr. Ford served with rare ability,
with strict fidelity, and with shrewd political tact. He is in every sense of the term a
public spirited citizen.
He is a member of the Wheeler Rifles (Auburn) N. G. S. N. Y. and of Wayne En-
campment, I. 0. 0. F., Newark. He is past grand of Clyde Lodge, No. 300, 1. 0. 0. F.,
captain of Canton Galen, No. 49, Clyde, and for six years was foreman of Protective
Hook and Ladder Company, Clyde.
November 30, 1886, Mr. Ford married Miss Emily W. Gilbert, daughter of the late
Horace Gilbert, who was connected with the post-office at Auburn for nearly a quarter
of a century. They have had one son, Vivian C, born November 20, 1890.
MARVIN I. GREENWOOD.
Marvin I. Greenwood is a son of Ira and Clarissa M. (Moseley) Greenwood, natives
of Madison county, near Hamilton, and was born January 31, 1840, near _Chittenango,
N. Y, The father was of Scotch origin while the mother sprung from English ancestry ;
they were farmers by occupation, the former being, however, a carpenter by trade.
They moved with their family to the town of Marion, Wayne county, in April, 1840,
but five years later settled in Palmyra. In the spring of 1855 they removed to Arcadia,
where both died — the mother in December, 1863, and the father in December, 1884,
December being also the month of their marriage.
M. I. Greenwood was educated in the common schools of Wayne county, in the
Walworth Academy, and in the Newark Union Free School and Academy. Leaving
the farm, on which he had been reared, he commenced reading law in the office of Hon.
L. M. Norton in Newark, and in December, 1868, was admitted to the bar at Rochester,
General Term. Mr. Norton was elected county judge and surrogate in November,
84 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
1869, and Mr. Greenwood remained in his office during his term of four years, or until
1875, when he began the practice of his profession alone, in which capacity he has since
continued. Born in the Harrison year of 1840 he has always been a steadfast Republi-
can, and in various capacities has served his party with distinction and ability. He has
been a justice of the peace several terms, and from 1877 to 1879 inclusive was district
attorney of Wayne county.
In the Masonic fraternity perhaps no man in Western New York is better known or
more properly distinguished than is Mr. Greenwood. His connection with the order
dates from February, 1865, when he joined Newark Lodge, No. 83, F. ard A. M.,
which he served as master during a period of fourteen years. He has risen to Knight
Templar and a thirty-second degree Mason, being a member of Zenobia Commandery,
No. 41, K. T., and of Rochester Consistory thirty-second degree. Besides holding all
the minor offices he has been high priest of Newark Royal Arch Chapter twelve years,
member of the commission of appeals of the Grand Lodge of the State three years,
grand scribe and grand king of the Grand Royal Arch Chapter of the State of New
York each three years, and prelate of Zenobia Commandery, K. T., four years He is
now deputy high priest of the Grand Royal Arch Chapter of the State and the repre-
sentative of the Grand Lodge of West Virginia in the Grand Lodge of New York.
November 16, 1862, Mr. Greenwood united in marriage with Miss Laura F. Wads-
worth, a native of Phelps. N. Y., and a daughter of Joseph Wadsworth of that place.
They had two sons, Frank M. and Will W. Frank M. Greenwood was born May 4,
1864, graduated from the Newark Union Free School and Academy, and was accident-
ally killed on the West Shore Railroad in Newark early on the foggy morning of Novem-
ber 3, 1883, while performing his duties as timekeeper and clerk for Ryan & McDonald
contractors. He was a very promising young man and a general favorite every-
where. Will W. Greenwood was born April 14, 1870, and is now the manager for
the firm of George A. Horn & C, manufacturers of garment fitting machines in
Newark. He served a term of three years in the Seventh Cavalry U. S. Regular
Army and was orderly sergeant at the time of his discharge at Fort Hancock, Texas, in
September, 1893. He participated in the fight at Pine Ridge Agency and two or three
days later was wounded in the leg at the battle of Wounded Knee, South Dakota.
JAMES W. DUNWELL.
The ancestors of this sketch have been Americans for five generations.
The first of his father's family to come to this country was an English soldier, who
served under General Wolfe in the campaign that terminated with the fall of Quebec.
The advent of his mother's ancestors in this country, who came from Holland, antedates
the Revolution, during which members of the family bore arms in the army of General
Schuyler. Subsequently they settled in Connecticut and in the eastern counties of
New York, some of whom migrated later to Western New York. His father's family
settled in Wayne and his mother's family in Cayuga county.
Almerin Dunwell, the father of James W., was born in Sodus, Wayne county, in
1815, and died at Lyons in 1866. He was a mechanic and at different periods of his
life pursued the occupations of farmer, manufacturer and contractor. He married
Elizabeth H. Storms of Mentz, Cayuga county, whose death took place at Lyons in
1884. They had two children, Charles T. Dunwell of New York city, a lawyer by
profession, and James W. Dunwell, the subject of this sketch.
James W. Dunwell was born at East Newark, Wayne county, N. Y, December 19,
1850. He acquired a good education, beginning in the district schools, later attending
the Lyons Union School, and finishing with parts of three years (1869-71) in Cornell
University. He left the university in June, 1871, to finish his law studies in the office
of Col. Joseph Welling of Lyons. But it must not be inferred that this was the be-
ginning of his law studies. He began when he was seventeen years of age in the office
of John T. Mackenzie of Lyons, and followed him to New York city when he went
thither to become a partner with the late General James W. Husted.
After two years of study with Colonel Welling, succeeding his course in the univer-
sity, Mr. Dunwell was admitted to the bar at the General Term in Buffalo in June,
1873. During his studies he had begun to engage in the trial of cases in Justice's Court
and to conduct appeals arising in his cases in County Court, his talents as a trial lawyer
being thus early developed.
As soon as he was admitted to practice Mr. Dunwell formed a partnership with
Colonel Welling, which continued about two years, and with gratifying success. Fol-
lowing this period he practiced alone about two years and down to the time in 1877
when he became associated with the late Hon. John H. Camp in that harmonious and
most successful partnership which closed only with Mr. Camp's death in 1892.
Mr. Dunwell is a trial lawyer. It is in active, spirited litigation, where the stakes
are large and the interests great, that he feels most happily situated. For routine office
work he has little taste except as it is connected with his litigated cases. With his
partner he acted as attorney for the New York Central and West Shore Railroads, and
since Mr. Camp's death the legal interests of the R. W. & 0. road have been placed in
his hands. He has recently acted as attorney for the county of Wayne and village of
Lyons in highly important litigation, and is regularly retained by other corporate and
individual interests in the territory over which his practice extends. He possesses in a
high degree the intuitive faculty for anticipating the course of his opponent in a case
and the best plan with which to meet it — a qualification which, when coupled with his
large general knowledge of law, acquired by years of experience in litigation, his
thorough preparation, his quick and alert perception of every weak point in his adver-
sary's case, and his power in impressing court and jury, render Mr. Dunwell a foeman
at the bar by whom it is honorable even to be defeated.
Mr. Dunwell has never held a public office. Not for the reason that he might not if
he had so aspired, for he is one of the most efficient and practical workers in the ranks
of the Republican party ; but his aim to achieve a high standing in his profession has
precluded all thoughts of political preferment. He serves on committees of his party
and at conventions with the most delightful facility and with that broad influence that
always follows the efforts of those whose single purpose is to promote their party's
36 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
cause. Political jealousy is an unknown sentiment to him, for his party service has
always inured incidentally to the upbuilding of the political fortunes of others, without
reward to himself except the delight he shares in his friends' prosperity.
He was working in caucuses and speaking at conventions by the time he reached his
majority, and he has been at it ever since. As a delegate to county, district, assembly,
senatorial and congressional conventions he has served constantly. He was a delegate
to the National Republican Convention at Minneapolis in 1892, and at the State Con-
vention at Saratoga in 1894. These 'valuable services his fellow citizens stand ready to
reward substantially whenever he will accept public preferment.
Socially, Mr. Dunwell is the courteous gentleman always. Peculiarly outspoken and
open in his personal communications with his fellows; fluent and easy in conversation,
his words always bear weight and render him an agreeable companion, whether for an
hour or a day.
Mr. Dunwell married on May 22, 1873, Mary Ella Groat, daughter of Hon. Richard P.
Groat, a prominent citizen of Newark. They have one daughter, born in February,
THE GAYLORD FAMILY.
This family traces its ancestry back to the Huguenots who emigrated from France
and settled in England. Dr. Levi Gaylord, the first of the family to settle in
Wayne county, was a son of Chauncey, who came from Bristol, Conn., and settled at
Otisco, N. Y. He was a member of Washington's staff in the Revolution. Dr. Gay-
lord was a graduate of Yale, came to Sodus in 1823, and engaged in the practice of
medicine. He was known throughout the State as one of the leading Abolitionists
and temperance workers of the day. He married firs^, Dotia Merriman, by whom he
had one son, Levi M., who studied medicine and located in Sodus. where he died in 1890.
Dr. Gaylord married second, Artimesia Squires. She studied medicine, and for many
years enjoyed an extensive practice. Dr. Gaylord died in 1852 and his wife in 1893,
aged nearly ninety-five. Their children were Willis T., Charles D., Orrin F., and Dotia
C, Artimesia G., Cornelia M. and Sarah S. Dotia married S. P. Hulett; Artimesia
married Dr. Alfred P. Crafts and settled in Wolcott; Cornelia married Prof. S. D.
Hillman, of Carlisle, Pa. ; Sarah married a Mr. West of this town ; Willis T. on arriv-
ing at manhood became a clerk, and in 1851 engaged in the dry goods trade in Sodus,
and throughout his long and successful business career has maintained a reputation for
the utmost integrity. He is a prominent member and officer of the Presbyterian church,
with which he has been identified over forty years. He married first Elizabeth Landon,
and had two children : Carlton D. and Elizabeth H. In 1864 he married second Mary
Preston, by whom he had three children, only Willis T. surviving. Charles D. Gaylord
moved to Lyons on arriving at manhood, where he held a clerkship. In 1855 he went
to Milwaukee, where until 1861 he conducted a hardware business. Returning to
Sodus he engaged in the same line until 1881, when he retired and was succeeded by
his son, Frank D. In that year, with S. P. Hulett, he established the banking house of
Hulett & Gaylord, which partnership was severed by the death of Mr. Hulett in 1884,
and Mr. Gaylord has since continued the business alone. He was supervisor in 1876,
is a member of Sodus Lodge No. 392, F. & A. M., and of Wayne Chapter, and also
belongs to the R. T. of T., and has been a prominent member and officer of the Presby-
terian church for over twenty years. In 1857 he married Jennie R. Gaylord of Lima,
and their children are : Frank D., Charles W. and Dora T. Orrin T. Gaylord settled in
Oswego and was a partner for several years with Irwin Sloane & Co., and later a mem-
ber of the firm of Gaylord, Downey & Co., extensive grain dealers of that city.
LAMOTT M. BLAKELY.
Lamott M. Blakely, mayor of the village of Lyons, was born in Perry, Wyoming
county, N. Y., November 19, 1828. His father, Jason^ Blakely, a native of Vermont,
settled on a farm in that county about 1816, and died there. t Ezra Blakely, the father of
Jason, was a Revolutionary soldier and lived and died in Manchester, Vt. Jason married
Mary Ward, the daughter of a veteran of the Revolution; her mother, a Miss Butler
was a cousin of the late Gen. Benjamin F. Butler, of Massachusetts. Mrs. Blakely died
in Lyons April 22, 1879.
Lamott M. Blakely obtained Jiis education in the district schools of his native county
and in Honeoye and Richmond Mills in Ontario county, finishing in the academy at East
Bloomfield under that celebrated instructor, Professor Clark, author of Clark's Gram-
mar, etc. He inherited the Scotch characteristics of his father andthe English stability
of his mother, which, combined, make one of the strongest individualities known in
human nature. In 1848 Mr. Blakely came to Lyons, but soon afterward went to Iowa
and Illinois, where he engaged extensively in the lumber trade, becoming a heavy shipper
from various places on the Mississippi River in Iowa to all points below St. Joseph on
the Missouri. He continued the northwestern lumber enterprises until the breaking out
of the Rebellion, which closed all traffic for the time on the Missouri River. The business
brought him into wide prominence and into contact with representatives of immense
interests everywhere. In 1862 he was sent as a delegate to the Iowa Republican State
Convention at Des Moines. In 1864 he settled in Lyons,]where he has ever since main-
tained a legal residence.
His great activity craved broader fields of operation, and at the close of the Civil war
he engaged in the cotton business at Atlanta, Ga., where he handled large quantities of
that product. From 1866 to 1870 he also carried on the trade at Washington, N. C, and
at other places, including Newbern and Greenville. At one time he handled a large
portion of all the cotton received at those points. In the meantime he resumed the
lumber business and soon became one of the largest operators in the South, the principal
varieties handled being pine, juniper, and cypress. These operations extended over a
period of nearly twenty years, and brought him into personal contact with all the lead-
ing men of the time. Georgetown, S. C, and Washington and Newbern, N. C, were
38 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
the principal seats of these enterprises, which extended many miles inland. No man
sustained a better or a wider reputation throughout the States of North and South
Carolina and Georgia. His name became almost a household word, and his integrity
and responsibility were never questioned. He won the good will and profound respect of
every southern family and still counts many of their members on his long list of warmest
friends. He disbursed hundreds of thousands of dollars among the inhabitants, and
generously performed and received many acts of kindness. Scarcely a southerner passes
through Lyons without halting for a visit to their old-time friend and co-laborer. His
great business ability, his universal popularity, his steadfastness and unswerving
integrity, his irreproachable character, his uniform kindness and liberality, his genial
temperament and rare social qualities are both recognized and remembered, and are
cherished in the hearts of thousands of people in every station in life.
In 1888 Mr. Blakely rebuilt his house in Lyons into the present handsome residence,
and since then has made that village his permanent home. He has during these few
years taken a deep and active interest in public affairs and always lends his influence in
promoting ever}' good movement. His southern life compelled him, in a measure,
to avoid political preferment, yet he staunchly maintained principles of right and ever
possessed the courage of his convictions. In the village of his residence, however,
he has freely mingled in politics, and being a Republican has served his townsmen in
various positions of responsibility. In 1892 he was an alternate delegate to the National
Republican Convention at Minneapolis, and has served two years as village trustee. In
March, 1894, he was elected mayor of Lyons, an office he now holds. His administra-
tion has been characterized by many public improvements and the economical expendi-
ture of money. Mr. Blakely is a vestryman in Grace Church, and in the broadest
sense of the word a highly respected, progressive and public-spirited citizen.
DE WITT W. PARSHALL.
Hon. De Witt W. Parhsall was born at Palmyra, March 23, 1812. His father,
Nathan Parshall, of French origin, and a descendant of the Huguenots, was a native of
Orange county, from whence he removed to Palmyra in 1790. In 1806 he married
Mary Ann, daughter of James Galloway, a native of New York city, who had also re-
moved to Palmyra with his family about 1790. Of this marriage were born four chil-
dren, who lived to mature age, Elizabeth, the late Mrs. Cullen Foster, of Lyons ;
De Witt ; Hendee, who still resides on the old family homestead at Palmyra ; and
Schuyler, now a resident of Alabama. De Witt after a few terms at the Canandaigua
Academy, where for a time he was a class and roommate of Stephen A. Douglass, chose
the law as a profession, and entered at Lyons the law office of the late General William
H. Adams. Young Parshall industriously pursued his law studies, and was admitted to
the bar in 1838, having, since leaving his father's house and including his attendance at
the academy, entirely supported himself t by his own exertions. Teaching, surveying,
writing at odd spells in the county clerk's office, etc., were the means by which he met
his living expenses. He first started a law office on his own account at Lyons ; but in
1839 formed a law partnership with the late Judge Theron R. Strong, of Palmyra and
removed to that village, In 1840, feeling that he could make for himself a better field
at the county seat, at his own request the partnership with Judge Strong was dissolved,
and he returned to Lyons, where he has since remained. In addition to his law prac-
tice he soon became extensively engaged in real estate, and down to the present time
has continued to be the most extensive dealer in and owner of real estate in his county,
the village of Lyons owing much of its prosperity to his enterprise and public spirit.
In 1852 he started " The Palmyra Bank of Lyons," in 1854 changed its name to '' The
Lyons Bank ; " and again in 1865, converted it into "The Lyons National Bank," under
which name it is now enjoying a large and successful business. In April, 1838, Mr.
Parshall married Susan Hecox, a lady of rare intellectual and moral excellence. Mr.
and Mrs. Parshall have had three children : Henry, who died at the age of thirty-five,
leaving a wife and three children ; De Witt, who died at the age of twenty-five ; and
Catherine, now Mrs. D. S. Chamberlin. Mr. Parshall has served as supervisor of the
town, president of the village, and in 1868 represented the first Assembly district of
Wayne county in the Assembly. He died in May, 1880.
Hon. Byram Green was born iu Windsor, Vt., April 15, 1786. This family of
Greens emigrated to America in 1638. Byram being a descendant of the early Plym-
outh colonists of, that name, one of whom was Samuel Green, who in the seventeenth