George Washington Cowles.

Landmarks of Wayne County, New York online

. (page 51 of 107)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

century was a successor of Steven Day in the first printing establishment introduced
into the colony. His father emigrated from Plymouth county to Windsor on the Green
Mountains, became a farmer and held the office of selectman for many years. In 1800
he moved to Williamstown to educate his children. He was captain of a company in
the Revolution, in which war he served until the surrender of Cornwallis. He was
offered a pension, but declined it. Hon. Byram Green entered Williams College in his
eighteenth year and graduated in 1808. After leaving college he studied for the minis-
try at Andover, preached for a time, but owing to his ill health was compelled to give
up the ministry, and accompanied by his brother, Dr. Joseph Green, he went to the
island of Beaufort, S. C, in 1810, where he taught in the Beaufort College for one term,
when he resigned (declining a brilliant offer to stay), and with his brother embarked for
Western New York. The brothers finally decided to settle in Sodus and while their
log house was building, made their home in a buttonwood log that measured seven feet
at the base. In these days they endured the hardships incident to those early times,
but were energetic and prospered. In 1827 Judge Green helped to draw the timber for
the first Presbyterian church in that region, and he and family were faithful attendants
thereafter. In 1812, during the war with Great Britain, he engaged in a skirmish at
Sodus Point at the time it was burned but escaped uninjured. He was supervisor of
Sodus in 1827-40-42, assessor in 1813, juetice of the peace in 1827, school commissioner



40 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.

in 1813-17-21-28-39-40, Softool inspector in 1814-15-16-17-20-26, State senator in
1823-24, member of the Legislature several years, member of Congress in 1845-46, and
was deputy United States collector in 1835, under General G-ould, of Rochester, mak-
ing his headquarters at Pultneyville. He held this position several years. He was
chairman of the committee on Erie Canal while in the State Senate, and rode on the
first canal boat that went through from Albany to Buffalo. Dewitt Clinton and other
distinguished persons were also on board. Judge Green was a warm personal and politi-
cal friend of Martin Van Buren, who, while president, offered Judge Green the position
of minister to Naples. This, however, was declined for several reasons. Byram Green
was one of the originators of foreign missions. While attending Williams College, at
Williamstown, Mass., he with four other young men of his class became much inter-
ested in this cause, and one day in 1806 they went into a field near the college for a
season of prayer. While so engaged a heavy thunder storm came on, and they moved
for shelter to a haystack near by and continued their devotions. In after years Byram
Green, then the only surviving member of his group, passed through Williamstown and
identified the spot where the haystack had stood. A monument was afterwards
erected to commemorate this haystack prayer meeting, and his name with names of the
other four students was engraved upon the monument as the originators of foreign
missions.



CHARLES B. SHERMAN.

Charles B. Sherman, born in Phelps, Ontario county, December 21, 1804, was a son
of John and Chloe (Dickinson) Sherman, natives of Massachusetts, who were early set-
tlers of Phelps, and came to Rose Valley in 1811 where they died. Mr. Sherman
served in the Revolutionary war. Father of subject was a child when he came to Rose.
He was a farmer and at his death owned 111 acres, where the family now reside, and
the farm is now carried on by Ezra A. Sherman. His first wife was Lucinda Allen, by
whom he had five sons and one daughter. His second wife was Charlotte J. Tyler, a
native of Oneida county and a daughter of Chester and Harriet Strong, he a native of
Bridgeport, Conn. They came to Oneida in an early day where Mr. Tyler died August
20, 1831, and his wife died in Hannibalville. Mr. Sherman and second wife had three
children, Chester T., who married Harriett C. Kimberly of Auburn, by whom he has one
daughter, Marion C. He was educated in Rose Union School, Auburn Academy and Roch-
ester Business University, from which he graduated May 27, 1885. He is now clerk of
the Board of Revision, Pension Bureau, at Washington, D. C, resigning the offices of
assessor and excise commissioner of Rose when he received the appointment; Ezra A.,
born in Rose January 27, 1866, and educated at the Rose Union School. He is a
fanner and makes a specialty of breeding Hambletonian horses, and at present owns
Ezra A., which has a record of 2.27 1-2. Mr. Sherman has been town clerk one term ;
and Harriet E., wife of Mauley G. Fowler of Rochester, and who lias a son born on
September 10, 1894.



BIOGRAPHICAL. 41

M. HOPKINS.

M. Hopkins, attorney, was born in Ontario, September 13, 1835. He was reared on
a farm and attended the common schools, later studying law with H. K. Jerome, and
D. B. Mclntyre of Palmyra, being admitted to the bar in December, 1860. After the
war Mr. Hopkins began practice in Palmyra. In 1892 he took into partnership F. E.
Converse, a native of Palmyra, who had studied law with him and was admitted to the
bar in 1890. In addition to his practice, Mr. Hopkins also has large farming interests,
raising trotting horses, short horn cattle, and Shropshire sheep as specialties. His
father, Joseph, was born in New Jersey in 1800, came to this town about 1824, and
died December 25, 1889. Mr. Hopkins was district attorney three years. In 1873 he
he married Rebecca S., daughter of Martin Butterfield, formerly a member of Congress,
from this district, and of their two daughters, one survives.



PART III.

FAMILY SKETCHES



FAMILY SKETCHES.



Terry, George H., was born in Elba, Genesee county, November 11, 1865, was edu-
cated in the common schools, and finished at the select school of E. G. Thrall, of Ba-
tavia, after which he established a manufacturing business in Toronto. Selling out in
1886, he traveled six years and January 1, 1893, bought the wallpaper, window shades,
room and picture moldings business of Jacob Sees in Lyons, to which he has added
largely, and is now carrying the finest line of his goods in Wayne county. He also
does a large wholesale trade, shipping goods to all parts of New York State and Can-
ada. At the age of eighteen he married Myrtle V., daughter of Calvin S. Loomis, of
Batavia, N. Y. Our subject is one of the most active business men in his town, iden-
tified in advancing its best interests, and is recognized as a man of sterling integrity
and worth.

Taylor, E. P., was born in Lyons February 27, 1833. His father, Elijah, was a na-
tive of Northampton, Mass., and came to Lyons in 1822 and followed the manufactur-
ing of leather for fifty-three years. The same business is now continued by the son
William in Lyons. E. P. Taylor was educated at the Lyons Union School and then en-
tered the tanning business. In 1869 he bought the A. F. Redfield tannery at Clyde in
connection with his brother Lathrop, continuing up to 1884, when he disposed of his
interest to his brother George J. In the same year he bought the Oliver Penoyer
farm four miles north of Lyous of 125 acres, raising fruit, hay, grain and stock. At the
age of twenty-five he married Juliette Paton, daughter of James and Mehitable Dunn,
of Lyons, and who are the parents of two children : Elijah D. and Mrs. Lettie M.
Langdon. Our subject has been prominently identified in advancing the best interests
of the town of Galen, having been trustee of School District No. 4 in 1875 and 1876,
building the south side school house during his term of office. He was supervisor in
1877-1878 and was appointed county treasurer by the Board of Supervisors for the
year 1879, taking an active interest in educational and religious matters, having been a
member of the M. E. Church thirty-five years, and is recognized as a man of sterling
integrity and worth, whose life has proven his word to be as good as his bond.

Townsend, Jonathan, was born in Hebron, Conn., December 13, 1787, and died at
Palmyra, N. Y., September 15, 1853. He was the eldest of six children. Early in life
he removed with his father to Brattleboro, Vermont. They were merchants in that
place for several years. From Vermont they removed to Marcy, Oneida county. N. Y.,
and purchased a large dairy farm. It was on this farm his father was killed by a bull
October 8, 1820, aged fifty-eight years. He married Ruth Hubbard, of Trenton,
Oneida county, N. Y., March 13, 1827, who was born in Middletown, Conn., April 15,
1791, and died at Palmyra, N Y., May 27, 1860. From Marcy he removed to Ashta-
bula, Ohio, where he was engaged in the hardware business for a short time. From
that place he came to reside in Palmyra, N. Y., in 1836, and bought a farm of one
hundred acres. They had two children : Mary Elizabeth Townsend, born in Marcy,
Oneida county, N. Y., October 21, 1830, and died at Palmyra, N. Y., September 7,



4 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.

1872. She was married to John Pitkin, of Hartford, Conn., November 29, 1855;
George Hubbard Townsend, born at Marcy, Oneida county, N. Y., November 3, 1833,
died at Palmyra, N. Y., January 5, 1892. November 22, 1862, he married Isabella
J. Johnson who was born at Palmyra, N. Y., October 20, 1839, daughter of David
Johnson by his second wife, Juliana Case (maiden name Kelsey), who was born in
Portland, Conn., March 1, 1804, died at Palmyra, N. Y., July 7," 1877. They had two
children: Jonathan, who died August 25, 1864, aged three months, and George John-
son Townsend, born at Palmyra, N. Y., August 26, 1868, and is now living with his
mother on the farm near Palmyra.

Talcott, Benjamin Arad, was born in Huron on the farm he now owns September
10, 1862, the son of Joseph Talcott, born on the same place in 1821. He was the son
of Arad Talcott, a native of Coventry, Conn., who came to Huron with an ox team in
1817, and settled on the farm now owned by our subject, where he and wife spent the
rest of their days. Joseph is now a retired farmer, living in the town of Wolcott.
His wife is Celestia Chapin, and their children are: Cornelia, widow of Jacob Gurnee,
of Huron ; Mary Ella, wife of William Baker, of Wolcott, and Benjamin A. At the
age of twenty-one our subject began for himself on the homestead farm, making a
specialty of fruit growing. In January, 1891, he married Nellie, daughter of Judson
and Electa Boynton, of Wolcott, who was born in 1S66, and they have one child, Lois
E., born April 11, 1894. Our subject is a member of the Wolcott Grange, and is a Re-
publican.

Thacker, William H., senior member of the firm of Thacker Bros. & Co., of Wolcott,
was born June 26, 1833, at Owasco, Cayuga county, N. Y. He came to Wolcott in
1840, and until forty years of age his principal occupation was farming. He moved to
Wolcott village in 1873. In 1875 the present business was established in copartnership
with his brother, Albert B., and has grown to be the most important retail business of
Wolcott, with dry goods, boots and shoes and groceries as specialties. September 5,
1855, he married Augusta M. Rice, of Wolcott. In 1868 they united with the Presby-
terian Church of Wolcott. Mr. Thacker has held many positions of trust in Wolcott,
attesting the esteem and confidence in which he is justly held. Among them might be
mentioned twenty-five years of service in the Board of Education of Leavenworth
Institute, and Wolcott Union School.

Traver, Asa, was born in the town of Galen, January 16, 1837. His father, Daniel,
came to Wayne county in 1830. He was a prominent farmer of his town and died
July 5, 1870, aged eighty-five years, Asa Traver was educated in the common schools,
to which he has added through life by reading and close observation. After leaving
school he returned to his father's farm, and at the age of twenty-five married Lovina,
daughter of Heman Shepard, and they are the parents of one son, Heman D. Traver.
In 1869 he came to Clyde and purchased the Myers property; in 1872 purchased the
Melzer Whittlesey farm, having 112 acres, raising fruit, grain and stock.

Thomas. Andrew A., was born in Huron November 16, 1856, son of William Henry
Thomas, of Huron, a native of Cayuga county, born April 25, 1823. The grandparents
were Alexander and Ruth (Hart) Thomas, of Amsterdam. The father of our subject
was bound out at the age of seven years to learn the weaver's trade. When eighteen he
came to Huron and engaged in the business for himself. His wife was Emeline
Graham, of Rochester, and their children were: Andrew and Eliza Jane, deceased
wife of Henry Kline, of Huron. Our subject has devoted his life to farming. In 1883
he married Matie A., daughter of Lewis and Rebecca Kline, of Huron. He and his
wife are members of the Huron Grange.

Terry, Fred H., was born in Clyde, August 3, 1854. His father, Alfred F. Terry,
was a native of Long Island and was one of the first settlers in the village of Clyde.



FAMILY SKETCHES. 5

Fred H. Terry, after leaving school, entered a drug store in Clyde, where he remained
a short time and then, in 1872, went to Sioux City. Here, in connection with his
father, he ran a steamboat in the U. S. government employ, carrying Indian supplies
from Sioux City to Fort Benton, Montana, and freighted the first cargo of lumber and
building materials that reached the city of Bismarck on the Missouri river. He re-
turned to Clyde in 1S73 and entered the employ of Dr. -J. E. Smith. In 1876 he
bought out J. P. Pardee and succeeded him in the drug business. Mr. Terry is now one
of the leading druggists in the town. He married Miss Katie Wood, daughter of Henry
Wood, and to them one child, Viva, has been born.

Turner, Dr. Jennie, was born in the town of Manchester, a daughter of John Turner,
who was a prominent farmer of that town. At the age of fifteen she entered the
Academy at Newark, obtaining a teacher's certificate at sixteen, teaching in that school
for two years. In 1872 she entered the Cortland Normal and graduated in 1874, and
in the fall of the same year took charge of the school at Dryden, Tompkins county, as
one of the principals, resigning in 1877. The same year she entered the medical depart-
ment of the University of Michigan, graduating in 1879. Afterwards a year was
spent in the New England Hospital for Women and Children at Boston. Willi this
ripe experience she came to Lyons in 1881 and at once took a prominent part in prac-
tice. During the past five years she has been secretary of the Wayne County Medical
Society, and she is frequently called in consultation by leading physicians of the county.
She was a partner during the first three years of her practice at Lyons with Dr. C. C.
Hall. Dr. Turner is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and an active worker in all
movements for the uplifting of society. While at college and at school she distin-
guished herself as a fine student and her career as a physician has been marked by
severe study and laborious practice.

Thayer, Aldrich, was born in Macedon, May 16, 1800, the fifth often children of
William and Chloe (Preston) Thayer, natives of Massachusetts, who came to New
York in 1800, and settled in Palmyra (now Macedon), being pioneers of Wayne county.
The grandfather, William, also of Massachusetts, came to Macedon and spent his last
days with his son, William. He died at about eighty years of age. William Thayer, jr.,
came to Ontario about 1820, and bought land on the Lake road. He died in 1822,
and his wife in 1838. Aldrich was reared on a farm, and has always been engaged in
farming. He now has about seventy-six acres, and has given his sons about 140 acres.
His son, William, now carries on the business on both farms. Mr. Thayer has been
twice married, first to Hulda Olcott, by whom he had eight children, two sons, one liv-
ing, and two daughters living. She died in 1837, and he married second, Mary Ann.
daughter of Josiah and Electa (Rogers) McKee, by whom he has had five children, three
sons, two living, and two daughters, now living. In politics Mr. Thayer is a Repub-
lican, and Mrs. Thayer is a member of the Methodist church.

Taylor, Emcgene, daughter of the late Arthur Bowen, of Fulton, was born there in
1845, and came to Red Creek with her parents when five years of age. January 1,
1860, she married Bennet Taylor, who entered the Union army in 1864, and lost his
life at Newbern, N. C, at the age of thirty. He left two daughters : Minnie, now Mrs.
Robert Worden ; and Libbie, the wife of Fred Owen. In 1874 Mrs. Taylor built the
commodious hotel, known as the Taylor House, conducting it in person, and with much
satisfaction to her patrons.

Tyrrell, J. S., was born in 1838 at Plainfield, Mass., and is the son of Ezra Tyrrell, a
manufacturer of wooden ware at that place. The Tyrrells are conspicuous for lon-
gevity, Ezra being now ninety-five years of age. His wife, Lucy (Lowden), died in
1864, leaving six children, of whom our subject is the sole representative in Wayne
county. J. S. Tyrrell is a man of original thought and indomitable will, and has hewed



6 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.

his own way to success in life, having been dependent upon the public schools of New-
England for his educational advantages in youth. His various business enterprises in
real estate, crockery, and evaporated fruits, do not wholly engross his energies, as he
also operates three farms, one of which is conducted by his youngest son. George F.
His wife was Cynthia E. Leonard, of Northampton, Mass., and they were married
September 26, 1859, and had five children : Mary A., Walter V., George F., Mabel L.,
and Leila B. Mr. Tyrrell is a staunch Republican, and has been honored with various
positions of trust. He and his wife and children are members of the Presbyterian
church.

Thomas, Byron, was born in Berlin, Rensselaer county, December 12, 1843. The
family came to Newark in 1857, where our subject received his education in the Union
school and the academy. He first taught school, and later was a clerk in the post-
office. He then entered the First National Bank of Newark as a clerk, was promoted
through the several grades to the position of cashier, which he held for a number of
years. In 1884 he was elected county clerk, and removing to Lyons, took possession
of the office January 1, 1885, serving three years. He Avas also trustee of the village of
Lyons two years, clerk of the village of Newark, and trustee also of the railway com-
missioners of the town. May 23, 1871, he married Ellen C. Smith, of Newark, and
they have one daughter, Martha A., a student in Utica. Rowland, father of Byron,
was also born in Berlin, February 23, 1807. He went to Hancock, Mass., where he
read medicine with his cousin, Dr. P. H. Thomas, then took a course in Berkshire Med-
ical Institute at Pittsfield, the medical department of Williams College, graduating in
1831. He then attended lectures in Albany for three years, and began practice at
Petersburg, N. Y., with Dr. Hiram Moses, remaining nine years. Returning to Berlin,
he practiced with distinguished success until 1857, when he removed to Newark for the
purpose of educating his son. He was always interested in educational matters, and
was a member of the Board of Education for a period of twelve years. He was a Re-
publican in politics. His wife was Adeha M. Hinsdill, of Bennington, Vt,, and their
children were: Byron, and a daughter, who died in infancy. He died June 13, 1892,
and his wife, June 7, 1893. A sister, Martha, now 85 years of age, survives him and
resides with Byron at the old homestead in Newark.

Van Buskirk, Jacob Tremper, was born at Buskirk's Bridge, N. Y., May 5, 1823. at
which place he passed the earlier years of his life. In 1842 he came to Clyde, and re-
sided here from that date until his death, June 2, 1891. He was postmaster at Clyde
during President Taylor's administration from 1849 to 1853, and served as deputy-
postmaster for more than twenty years. Upon the completion of the New York Cen-
tral Railroad, in 1854, he was appointed the first ticket agent in Clyde. He was
amongst the first to volunteer his services in the Rebellion, enlisting as first lieutenant
of Company B, 111th N. Y. Volunteers, and on his departure to the front he was pre-
sented with a handsome and valuable sword by the citizens of Clyde. This sword is
now the property of his eldest son, a cherished emblem and revered heirloom. At the
surrender of Harper's Ferry, in 1862, Lieutenant Van Buskirk was taken prisoner,
parolled, and afterward honorably discharged. In 1869 he was elected a justice of the
peace, and held the position continuously by re-election until his death, covering a
period of nearly twenty- four years. He also served one term as justice of sessions.
Mr. Van Buskirk was an active member of Snedaker Post, No. 173, G. A. R., serving
as its commander and adjutant. He was prominently connected with the Presbyterian
Church, being an elder therein from 1868 to 1880, and superintendent of its Sunday
school from 1859 to 1872. In all positions in life he conscientiously discharged his
duties with characteristic fidelity; he was honored with many offices of trust, which
he ably filled to the lasting benefit of his constituents. April 5, 1849, he married Phoebe
S. Lyron, who died February 14, 1886. Five children survive them, viz. : Albert M.,
of Clyde; Amelia L., and Barton W., of Rochester; George A., of Massilon, 0., and



FAMILY SKETCHES: 7

Henry J., of Toledo, 0. Albert M. Van Buskirk was the first superintendent and
local manager of the Clyde Water Works, and held the position until his resignation in
1891, when he removed to Greencastle. Ind., and took charge of the water works at
that city. He subsequently returned to his native town, and resumed newspaper work
on the Clyde Times, with which journal he has been connected for twenty years, suc-
cessively serving as apprentice, journeyman and local editor. In the spring of 1894 he
was elected a justice of the peace for the town of Galen.

Taber, Henry R., born in Lewis county, January 21, 1829, is the youngest of four
children of Silas and Susanna (Bristol) Taber, he a native of Dutchess county, born
October 9, 1789, and she a native of Sand Lake, Rensselaer, born August 25, 1788. He
died in Palmyra, June 5, 1875, and his wife April 30, 1876. Our subject was educated
in the common schools, Marion Academy, and Palmyra Classical Union School, and
studied law with Charles McLouth, of Palmyra. He was admitted to the bar in 1865,
since which he has followed his profession. He was elected justice in 1858, and except
one and one-half years has since filled the office. He has been justice of sessions sev-
eral times, and is now serving his eleventh term as supervisor. Mr. Taber married,
May 14, 1850, Thankful M., a daughter of William and Mary (Srope) Bilby, of Marion.
Her parents died, October 30, 1861, and December 1. 1864, respectively. Mr. Taber
and wife have had one child, Elida J., who resides with them.

"Van Duyne, EzraM., living two and one-half miles north of the village, is the son of
Abraham W. and Sarah Van Duyne, of Phelps, N. Y., was born in Palmyra, Wayne
county, 1ST. Y., September 19, 1849, he being one of eight children, two living in Wayne
county, Ezra and Smith Van Duyne, the latter living at Butler. Ezra was educated at
the Phelps Union School, attending winters and working on the farm during the sum-
mer months; was married, February 11, 1874, to Hattie A., oldest daughter of Daniel
Harrington, of Savannah. The years intervening 1874 and 1883 were passed in But-
ler. Mrs. Ezra Van Duyne now occupies the home in which she was born, rebuilt, bow-
ever, in 1864, where her parents settled in the year of 1847, it being at that time a
wilderness. Her great-grandfather, William Harrington, was the first white settler in
Butler. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Van Duyne, are: George H., born November 12,
1874, Delia A., who died in infancy, and Bertha, born August 17, 1882. Mr. Van
Duyne is a Republican, and both he and his wife are members of the church of the
disciples at Butler. The parents of Mr. Van Duyne. are both dead, his mother dying
March 26, 1881, his father coming to Savannah at the death of his wife to reside. In
May, 1887, he was severely injured in a railway accident, from which he never fully
recovered, his death occurring September 2, 1887.

Vanostrand, Fred L., a native of Marion, born August 29, 1834, is the second of nine
children of Charles and Sally (Sanford) Vanostrand. Her father, Stephen Sanford, one
of the pioneers of Marion, came from Tiverton, R. I., and settled in Marion when