George Washington Cowles.

Landmarks of Wayne County, New York online

. (page 53 of 107)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

daughter, George and Lizzie, who is the wife of C. E. Pound. Mr. Woodhams in
early life was engaged in teaching. Her mother was Mary Ann, daughter of Isaac
Hodges, one of the pioneers of Ontario. In politics Mr. Woodhams is a Republican,
and is a member of the South Shore Grange, No. 513.

Winspear, Charles W., was born in Elma. Erie county, July 6, 1856, was educated in
the public schools and reared on a farm. January 1, 1877, he was appointed clerk in
the Erie County Alms House and Insane Asylum, and at the expiration of a year was
promoted to the position of deputy keeper, which office he held sixteen years, during
ten of which he was a special agent for the State Board of Charities. In 1893 he re-
signed these positions to accept the superintendency of the New York State Custodial
Asylum for Feeble Minded Women, at Newark. In politics he is a Democrat, and is
a member of Washington Lodge, No. 240, of Buffalo, F. and A. M., and is also a mem-
ber of the Acacia Club (Masonic), and the Audubon Shooting Club, of Buffalo. His
wife, Gertrude E , is a native of Lancaster, Erie county, where she had a large expe-
rience in teaching. She has the distinction of having passed with the highest percent-
age over all contestants in the examination in the higher grammar grades in the public
schools of Buffalo.

Weed, Luther, born in Galen, on the homestead, in 1835, son of Selleck Weed, a na-
tive of Connecticut, whose father was Abram, a lumber manufacturer in Washington
county, who was accidentally killed in his mill by a cake of ice falling on him. Selleck
came to Galena in 1812, and married Temperance Owens. Their children were : Lu-
cinda, Selleck, Lydia, Ann, Rhoda, Harry, Benjamin, Lewis and Luther. In 1853 our
subject purchased a farm in Oneida county, and two years later returned to Galen,
where he conducted the homestead farm until 1865, when he came to Huron, where he
has since resided. In 1853 he married Catharine, daughter of John and Catharine Wit-
beck, born in Columbia county, in 1835. Their children are : Charles R,, Ella (de-
ceased), Stella, wife of Mortimer Cox, of Wolcott; and Cora, wife of Charles H. Wood-
ruff, of Huron. Mr. and Mrs. Weed have two grandchildren, Bertha E. Weed and
Harry (Weed) Woodruff. Subject is a member of the Masonic Fraternity, and has



14 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.

served as commissioner of highways, and he and wife are members of the Huron
Grange, which was organized in their house in 1873.

Wheeler, Justus J., was born upon the site of his present home, October 24, 1834.
He is one of a family of five children, of whom only himself and one sister now sur-
vive. His mother, Clara, died in 1857. and his father, Willaid, two yeais later. Justus,
until about forty years of age, was a carpenter and joiner, but has for twenty-one
years devoted himself to the culture of the old homestead purchased in 1872. July 11,
1864, he married Alice, daughter of Elisha and Icy Woodruff, of Frankfort, Herkimer
county, N. Y. Alice was born March 4, 1848. They have two children, Jennie, born
September 21, 1865, and Claude J., born May 30, 1872. Jennie was engaged for sev-
eral years in teaching school, until July 2, 1893, when she married Andy W. Whitbeck,
of Savannah, N. Y. Claude, also a school teacher, is now at home engaged in farming
and the evaporation of fruits. Having developed considerable mechanical genius, in
1893, he secured a patent upon a fruit bleacher of his own invention and construction,
which has proved to be of peculiar merit.

Wadsworth, Philip, whose birthplace is still his domicile, is the son of Danford and
Eliza A. Wadsworth, who took up residence in Butler, in those days when "Amid the
forest solitude his echoing axe the settler swings," and none bore a stouter heart than
the young pioneer from Vermont, hewing out a home from the provincial wilderness.
Danford Wadsworth died June 19, 1861, when but fifty-one years of age, and Philip
is his only son. November 4, 1863, Philip married Mary T. Rice, of Butler, and their
children are : Velona J., the wife of Lincoln Doty ; Henry D. Harvey R., Lemuel G.,
and one daughter, Sarah M., who October 19, 1887, aged twenty-two years.

Willard, William G., was born in Ontario, December 23, 1855, the eldest son of nine
children of George and Adelaide (Gibbs) Willard. George Willard, son of William and
Sarah Willard, was born in the parish of Salehurst, Sussex county, England, Septem-
ber 4, 1829, and emigrated to the United States of America March 13, 1849. Adelaide
Gibbs, daughter of Joseph and Amy Gibbs, born in Whichford , Warwickshire, England,
July 6, 1831, and emigrated to the United States of America April 3. 1850. In 1852
they were untited in marriage and came to Ontario, and in 1856 settled on the farm
where Mrs. Willard now resides. George Willard died December 16, 1890, The chil-
dren of Mr. Willard and wife were as follows: Harriet A., born October 13, 1853 ; Wil-
liam G., born December 23. 1855 ; Frank E., born September 26, 1857; Avise M., born
August 28, 1860; Lorenzo P., born November 26, 1862; Annie E., born May 31, 1867;
Peter J., born May 21, 1869; May S., born June 11, 1871; Carrie A., born December
17, 1876. Harriet died September 21, 1854. They are all married except Carrie and
May S. Our subject was educated in Chili Seminary. He followed farming until
1883 when he came to Lakeside and engaged in the mercantile business, where he has
been very successful. He carries a full line of boots and shoes, hardware, crockery,
paints, oils, dye stuffs, glass, drugs, medicines and fane)' goods, also hats and caps. He
married, March 29, 1883, Emma A. Ray, a native of Canada, and daughter of John and
Mary (Fowler) Ray. He and family attend and support the M. E. Church of Lakeside.

Williams, Henry, a native of Manchester, Ontario county, N. Y., born December 25,
1830, was the youngest of two sons of John Williams and Nancy Williams, he a native
of New Jersey, and she of New Jersey. Henry learned the blacksmith trade when a
young man, but farming has been his chief occupation. He married Jane, daughter of
James and Honor Barker, he a native of England, and she of England. Mr. Barker
came to America in 1829. He bought the farm now owned by the Williams family,
when it was a wilderness, and cleared it and made many improvements. Mr. and Mrs.
Williams have had four sons and four daughters, of whom one son and two daughters
are deceased: Honor, wife of Rufns Schemmerhorn, of Ontario; Cora, wife of James
V.Allen, Rochester; Roy, at home; B. II., and Wallace, are now carrying on the



FAMILY SKETCHES. 15

farm, engaged in general farming and fruit raising, also evaporating fruit. Wallace
married, January 18, 1888, Eliza Bean, daughter of Albert and Emma Jane (Hurley)
Bean, of Ontario, and they have one daughter, Susie, born March 30, 1893. Mr. Will-
iams commenced farming in Ontario about 1858 on the Barker farm, then bought a
small place, where he lived seventeen years. On the death of Mr. Barker he bought
the farm where he resided until his death, December 20, 1890. Mrs. Williams still "re-
sides on the homestead, aged fifty-nine years. Her father, James Barker, died 1864,
and her mother 1876. The family are of very strong temperance sentiments, and in
religion are Methodists.

Wilder, F. S., was born in Russell., St. Lawrence county, N. Y., June 19, 1850, the
son of Brutus a n d Lucy Townsend Wilder, he born in Orwell, Oswego county, October
13, 1828, and she in Philadelphia. Mr. Wilder came to Philadelphia in 1844, and
engaged as clerk in a drug store until 1849, when he came to Russell and began farm-
ing. He came to Williamson in 1865, and engaged in farming, and now owns a small
farm. He was assessor in Russell for five years. Our subject was reared on a farm,
and educated in Marion Academy. He learned the tinsmith trade, and bought out a
tin shop in Marion, then went to Newark, and was in partnership there with his
brother, John P., in the hardware business. In 1879 Mr. Wilder came to Williamson
and engaged in the hardware business, and has been very successful. Mr. Wilder has
been town clerk since 1887. He is a member of the Pultneyville Lodge, No. 159, F. &
A. M., the K. O. T. M., and the Protective Life Association of Rochester. In 1879 he
married Eliza Howell, a native of Marion, and daughter of Israel Howell, and they
have had two children, Lula M., Elmer B.

Waldurff, Peter, was born in Taghkanick, Columbia county, N. Y., February 5, 1810.
His father, John Waldurff, was one of the first settlers in Rhinebeck, Dutchess county,
and the family was of German extraction. Peter Waldurff was educated in the com-
mon schools, and at the age of twenty-five he married Hannah, daughter of Andrew
Nichols, and of this union ten children were born, eight of whom are now living, five
sons, Martin V. B., who owns a farm adjoining his father's, Reuben, who owns a farm
in Wolcott, Stanton E., who owns a farm in Rose, Eugene C, who is a physician of
Buffalo, N. Y., and Frank L., who lives on the homestead farm, and three daughters,
Hannah, who married Harrison Malley, of Homer, N. Y., Nettie, who married Rev.
R. E. Burton, of Syracuse, N. Y., and Helen, who married John M. Mackie, of Galen,
N. Y. In 1848 he bought the William Garlic property of 144 acres, and in 1855 he
bought the adjoining farm, known as the " Riverdale farm." He has 217 acres of some
of the best farm lands in Wayne county, raising fruit, hay, grain and stock. In 1883
his wife died, since which time he has been living with his youngest son, Frank L.

Weed, Hon. Oscar, was born in Galen in 1822, a son of Henry, a native of Washing-
ton county, born in 1797, who was the son of Abram Weed a native of Canaan, Conn.,
and an early settler in Washington county, where he engaged in the lumber business.
He was killed in his saw- mill by a cake of ice falling on him. His wife was Sarah Sel-
leck, and their children were: Selleck, Abram, Henry, Hester, Sallie, Hannah, Betsey,
and Nancy. Henry, father of our subject, moved to Wayne county in 1813, with his
mother a r _d sisters. His older brother, Selleck, had moved to Wayne county the
previous year. He was a Republican and served as assessor and commissioner. He
married Mahala King, of Galen, and their children were : Samuel, who was a prominent
physician in Clyde, Oscar. Abram, William, and Sarah Ann, wife of Oliver Stratton. of
Galen. Mr. Weed died in 1862, and his wife in 1881. Our subject was educated at
Clyde High School, and remained on the farm, teaching school winters for about nine
years. In 1848 he married Rebecca, daughter of Joseph O, and Ruth Watson, of
Galen, and they had these children: Watson, Oscar D., Mary E. a teacher in Drew
Ladies' Seminary, Carmel, N. Y., Garhardus and Ruth (both deceased). Mr. Weed
moved in 1850 to Huron, and purchased the farm of 300 acres, where he has since re-



16 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.

aided, engaged in farming and fruitgrowing. In the latter he enjoys the reputation of
being the most extensive and successful in the town, the proceeds for the year 1893
being about $6,500. He has served as assessor and supervisor several terms, and in
1881-82 was elected by the Republicans to the Assembly, has also been delegate to
many county and State conventions. His living children are all graduates of Cornell
University. Mr. and Mrs. Weed are members of the Clyde Grange. His son, Wat-
son, is a Unitarian minister in Scituate, Mass. Addison is in New Hartford, engaged
in gardening, fruit growing and civil engineering. Oscar D., practicing law in New
York city.

Wood, Anson Sprague, was born in Camillus, Onondaga countv, October 2, 1834.
His father, Alvin, was of English ancestry, and his mother, Fanny Woodworth, of New
England descent. Early in the forties Alvin Wood removed with his family to Butler,
Wayne county, where he continued to reside until his death in 1874. Anson S. was
the youngest of a large family of children, three others of whom are still living and resi-
dents of Wayne county : Mary, wife of William Fowler; Frances, wife of Christopher
C. Cay wood, of Butler ; and Benham S. Wood, of Wolcott. Anson S. Wood was edu-
cated in the district schools, and also attended the Red Creek Union Seminary. In 1853
he began the study of law in Syracuse, which he continued later in Clyde in the office
of C. D. Lawton, and afterwards of Judge L. S. Ketchum. In the winter of 1854 he
engaged in teaching. In the fall of 1855 he attended the Albany Law School, and was
admitted to the bar in December of that year. During the early part of 1856 he re-
sided at South Butler, and was elected town superintendent of common schools. In
July, 1856, he removed to Lyons, where he formed a copartnership with Hon. William
Clark. He continued to practice law in company with Mr. Clark and Hon. Dewitt
Parshall until September, 1862, in the meantime (1858-1859) serving two years as town
clerk of the town of Lyons In the fall of 1862 he responded to the call for volunteers
to defend the Union, and was commissioned as first lieutenant in the 138th N. Y. Vol-
unteer Infantry, afterwards known as the 9th N. Y. Heavy Artillery. After the regi-
ment reached Washington Lieutenant Wood was assigned to duty as adjutant. In June,

1863, he was promoted to a captaincy and detailed to duty at the draft rendezvous at
Elmira, N. Y., and was for some time assistant adjutant- general at that post. In May,

1864, at his own request, he was returned to his regiment and to the command of his
company. He was engaged in the battles of Cold Harbor, Petersburg, Monocacy, Win-
chester, and Fisher's Hill. In October, 1864, he was placed on the staff of General J.
B. Ricketts, who commanded the third division of the famous Sixth Corps. General
Ricketts was severely wounded at the battle of Cold Harbor, and was succeeded in com-
mand by Gen. Truman Seymour, with whom Captain Wood continued as judge advo-
cate of the division. In February, 1865, he was promoted to major of his regiment, and
as such participated in the taking of Petersburg and the capture of Lee's army. For
meritorious service before Petersburg he was brevetted lieutenant colonel. The regi-
ment was mustered out in May. 1865, when Colonel Wcod returned to Wayne county,
purchasing a farm in Butler. In 1866 he was elected supervisor of that town. In 1867
he became assistant assessor of the United States Internal Revenue, a position which
he resigned in the fall of 1869 to accept the Republican nomination for member of as-
sembly from the first district of Wayne county. In the meantime he had removed to
Wolcott and resumed the practice of law. Colonel Wood was elected to the Assembly
that fall, and reelected the following year. Janu: ry 1, 1872, he was appointed deputy
secretary of state under G. Hilton Scribner, holding the oflice two years, when he again
returned to his home at Wolcott and his law practice. In 1879 Gen. Joseph B. Can-
was elected secretary of state, and he called Colonel Wood back to Albany to his former
desk as deputy secretary, where he continued six years. In 1883 he was one of the
secretaries of the Republican State Committee. In 1885 Colonel Word was the unan-
imous nominee of the Republican State Convention for secretary of state, but was de-
feated with the rest of the Republican ticket. lie remained in Albany for over a year



FAMILY SKETCHES. 17

engaged in the practice of law, when he again returned to Wayne county, taking up his
residence at Wood's Island, Port Bay, in the town of Huron, and resuming his law prac-
tice at Wolcott, which he has continued since. At present he is associated with Hon.
George S. Horton. Colonel Wood, in addition to the other public positions, has filled
the office of president of the village of Wolcott, trustee of the Wolcott Union Free
School, justice of the peace, and supervisor of the town of Huro: . He was the moving
spirit in the organization of William Button Post No 55, G-. A. R., at Wolcott (subse-
quently changed to Keesler Post No. 55), of which he has been commander several
terms. He has also served as assistant quartermaster-general of the G. A. R., depart-
ment of New York, and has been a member for many years of Wolcott Lodge No. 560,
F. & A. M. Colonel Wood has been repeatedly a delegate to Republican State Conven-
tions, and his services as a speaker have long been in great demand in political cam-
paigns. He has spoken in every county in this State, and has been called upon by the
National and State Committees to make speaking tours of Maine, Massachusetts, Ver-
mont, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa. In 1858 Colonel Wood
married Martha Louise Vickey, of Youngstown, Niagara county. Mr. and Mrs. Wood
have two children living, William Clark Wood, M.B., and Robert Alvin. Br. Wood is
a graduate of the Albany Medical College (1880), and is a successful practitioner at
Gloversville, N. Y. Robert A. is a graduate of Union College (1881), a lawyer and
newspaper contributor, and resides at Albany.

Wall, William, was born in Webster, September 2, 1824. He was the oldest of four
children of Elisha M. and Lois (Savage) Wall, he a native of Vermont, born in 1800.
He settled in Webster and afterward came to Ontario in 1840, where he died in 1891.
Subject came to Ontario when a mere boy. He married in 1854 Hannah A. Wray, a
native of Ontario and daughter of George Wray. The latter was born in Fort Ann,
Washington county, January 8, 1792, and married Almira Brown of Granville, Wash-
ington county, April 11, 1821, by Rev. Andrews. He was a blacksmith by trade. He
came to Wayne county in 1827, and bought the place known then as the Shingled
House (shingles being used instead of clapboards). He built the first blacksmith shop
in town, and two years after bought thirty-six acres two miles east of that, cleared a
spot of ground and built another shop and moved into that. The same year (1829) he
built a frame house, in which he lived until his death. His wife died in June, 1872.
and he in October, 1872. They had three children, Almira Jane, Hannah Ann, and
George Leonard. Mr. Wall and wife have had two children, Ida, wife of William
Eddy, and has three children, Raymond, Leland and Vera ; Emma C, wife of William
Patten, who has one child, Ruby. Her first husband was Irvin Cudderback, by whom
she had one child, Myrta G. Mr. and Mrs. Wall moved to Michigan in 1856, and re-
turned to the Wray homestead in 1866, where they still remain. William R. Patten
was born in Ontario on the farm his father settled, in 1850. He is the youngest of
nine children of John and Eliza (Bancroft) Patten, he a native of New Jersey, born in
1799, and she of Walworth, born in 1810. They came to Ontario in 1830, where he
died in 1865, and his wife in 1889. Mr. Patten was a shoemaker and tanner by trade,
but after coming to Ontario followed farming. He owned 100 acres, which he cleared.
Subject was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools and Macedon
Academy. He has always been a farmer, has fifty acres of land, and follows general
farming and fruit raising. He married in 1890 Emma Wall, a native of Michigan. She
is a daughter of William Wall. Mr. Patten and wife have had one daughter, Ruby E.,
born Becember 15, 1893.

Waters, George F., was born in Williamson August 30, 1849. His parents were
Zeniri and Alice (Brewer) Waters. The family consisted of two sons and three daugh-
ters, who grew to maturity, the daughters being now deceased. W. H. Waters, brother
of the subject, is in the town of Miller, South Bakota, in the banking business. Z.
Waters was reared on the farm and always followed farming. He was an anti-slavery



18 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.

advocate, and died September 4, 1870. The grandparents of our subject were William
Waters, born in England in September, 1779, and Mary (Sampson) Waters, born in
June, 1783. They had three sons and five daughters, all deceased but two daughters,
who are in Michigan. William Waters emigrated to America and settled in William-
son, being one of the pioneers of that town. He engaged somewhat in land speculat-
ing, buying and selling several farms, but his principal occupation was farming. Mrs.
Waters died January 14, 1856, and he died March 18, 1864. George Waters was edu-
cated at Pultneyville under Prof. Clark. His first business enterprise was as pay-
master's clerk in the United States navy, but his principal occupation has been farm-
ing. He has 130 acres of land and makes a specialty of dairying, having special city
customers for his dairy products. He also has fine fruit orchards. He married, Janu-
ary 10, 1883, Helen May, daughter of Evelin and Mary (Palister) Cornwall, of Will-
iamson. They have one daughter, Alice E., born June 8, 1884. Mr. Waters has been
eleven years deputy collector of customs.

Warner, R. K., was born in Cortland county July 19, 1825, son of Ira and Asenath
Warner, natives of Massachusetts and early settlers of Cortland county, where they
lived and died. Subject was educated in the common schools, followed farming in
Cortland county until 1858, when he came to Palmyra and in 1865 to Marion, and con-
tinued farming until 1884, since which time he has lived in Marion. He married in
1848 Ramonia Vail, a native of Cortland county, born October 25, 1829. daughter of
Henry Vail, a native of Dutchess county, who died in Madison county, N. Y. Subject
and wife had five children : Erotus, who married Ella Wake, and has three children,
Melvin E., F. May, Oscar Z., Lewis W., who married Amelia E. Allen, daughter of
Abram and Emma Allen, natives of England, who came to Richfield Springs in 1844,
and there Mrs. Allen died and Mr. Allen now resides. Lewis and wife have had three
children: Lillian, died aged two years; Jessie and Carl; Mary E., wife of George El-
bridge, of Homer, Cortland county, N. Y., and has one child, Marion Ramonia; Horace
A., who married Minnie Potter, died January 25, 1891, and had two children, Ross and
Myrtle.

Wood, Noah, was born April 23, 1832, the son of Horatio Wood, a farmer of Butler
who was also a man of local prominence, being a justice for twenty years, and who
died in 1860. His wife, Angeline, the mother of seven children, died in 1886. Noah's
education was received at Lima, N. Y., and the M. G. B. Institute at Concord, N. H.
He graduated in 1860. His principal occupation has been farming. September 10,
1861, he married Addie B., daughter of John Hall, of Cicero, N. Y., and both are
prominent in the M. E. church of Wolcott. Mr. Wood is a man of much character and
has filled many positions of trust and responsibility, such as president of the village,
trustee of the Leavenworth Institute, and justice of the peace, holding the latter posi-
tion twelve years.

Wood, Major William, was born near his present home August 1, 1830, son of
Horatio N. Wood. He is a graduate of Union College, of Albany Law School, was
admitted to the bar in 1857, and practiced that profession two years with Hon. J. B.
Decker. As captain of Company G of the 9th Heavy Artillery he achieved distinction
on many a bloody field, promotion to the rank of major and for personnl bravery be-
fore Petersburg, was breveted lieutenant colonel by President Johnson. A bullet
wound in the face, received at Sailor Creek, necessitated his retirement from the
service for some months, after which he was commissioned lieutenant colonel, and his
battalion detailed for the protection of the city of Washington. Equally distinguished
as a statesman in the county and State Legislature, having been a member of assembly
in 1886, Major Wood finds in the retirement of his country home and the management
of his farming and business interests, congenial occupation. In 1866 he married Mary
Green, of Mt. Morris, N. Y., and their children are: George C, Horatio N. Angeline,
Julia D., and Walter W.



FAMILY SKETCHES. 19

White, Charles S., was born in Eensselaer count}^ September 5, 1833, educated in the
district schools, and finished at private boarding school. He followed farming until
1862. September 9, 1856, he married Frances S. Tifft, by whom he has one son, Fred.
C. Mr. White came to this town in 1S74, having been in the mercantile trade at nis
old home for twelve years, and this business he has successfully followed since 1875, in
this town. Fred. C. was educated in the common schools, with a year in Troy, and in
the Union School and Academy. In 1880 he became a partner in the business, under
the firm name of C. S. White & Son. He married Minnie M. Horton, of East
Newark, and they have a son, Elmer F. H. Mr. White's father, Jacob White, was
born in Medway, Mass., in 1788, and was a manufacturer. In 1814 he married Prisa