Lewis, of Walpole, Mass., and they had eleven children : Lewis, Sally, Prisa, Miranda,
Philip, Jacob, David. William, Charles S., Martha, and Mary J. He came with his
family to this State in 18 16, where he died in 1870 and his wife in 1888, at the age of
ninety-four. Mrs. White's father, Sprague Tifft, was born in New York State in 1800,
and married first a Miss Culver, by whom he had one daughter, Lydia M. He married
second Sophia B. Watson, and had twelve children : George W., James E., W. Dewitt,
Frances S., H. Cordelia, Melinda V., Amelia C, I. Nelson, Watson, Lucerne, Emerson,
and Martha A Both parents are now living. Our subject is a member of Newark
Lodge No. 82, F. and A. M.
Yo'mgs, L. S., was born in Coxsackie, Greene county, May 4, 1832. His father,
William, came to Wayne county in 1840, settled on the John Austin farm in the town
of Arcadia, and was a large fruit producer. He died on the old homestead in 1884 at
the age of seventy-six. L. S. Youngs was educated in the common schools, to which
he had added through life by reading and close observation. At the age of twenty-
three he married Emeline, daughter of Jacob Vanderbilt, who was called out to defend
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
Sodus Point in 1812, and they are the parents of two children, Mrs. Stella E. Bradley
and L. Armeda. In 1868 he bought part of the old Jacob Vanderbilt estate, which has
been in the family for ninety years. Our subject is one of the substantial men of his
town, taking an active interest in educational and religious matters.
Zeluff, Charles E.. was born in Wolcott September 16, 1841. His father, Benjamin,
was a native of Trenton, N. J., settled in Red Creek in 1838, and died in 1885, aged
seventy-three years. Charles E. was educated in the common schools, after which he
followed boating several years. In 1875 he established his present business, and is one
of the largest dealers in fresh and salt meats in Wayne county. At the age of twenty-
nine he married Mary E., daughter of Jonas Van Slyck, of Clyde, and they have one
son, Czar E. Our subject is identified in advancing the best interests of his town.
Young, Henry, was born near Menby on the Rhine, July 6, 1820. His father, Con-
rad, came to the United States in 1831 and settled in Wayne county. He died in
1861, aged seventy-five years. Henry Young was educated in Germany and the
United States, and at the age of twenty-two married Ann Eliza, daughter of John
Foist, by whom he has five children : George H., Darwin C, Charles F., Lydia A.
(Mrs. Rooke), and Mary E. Rodenbach. In 1842 he bought the homestead of sixty-
four acres, in 1850 bought the John Desmond property of sixty acres, and in 1855
bought the J. Longee property of fifty acres, their joint property being 210 acres.
They raise fruit, hay, grain and stock. Our subject is one of the largest farmers in his
town, taking an active interest in educational and religious matters, having been trustee
and class leader and superintendent of the Sunday-school and member of the M. E.
church for fifty-two years.
Smith, Ensign, was born March 10, 1830, Rensselaer county. His father, John D.
Smith, died here in 1887, his wife, Priscilla, having died in 1865. They left three
children, Ensign, Jesse (died in 1854) and Lydia (died in 1878). Ensign married Febru-
ary 20, 1861, Charlotte, daughter of Edwin and Lucy M. Powers of Galen, the former
20 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
of whom died in 1844 and the latter in 1879. The children of Ensign and Charlotte
Smith are: Jesse, bom January 17, 1862, was murdered January 15, 1887, at Chatta-
nooga, Tenn., by a fellow boarder, to whom he had loaned money, and upon demanding
it, was stabbed to death; John E., born January 7, 1864, now operating the homestead
farm; Jennie, born October 14, 1865, the wife of Charles Vanderpool of Savannah;
Luther and Lucy, born January 14, 1869. Luther married Bessie Marriott of Galen and
they live in Cleveland, Ohio. Lucy is the wife of Ethan Calkins of Lyons; Everett,
born April 13, 1871 ; Herbert S., born April 30, 1872, now in Cleveland, 0., and Lester
R., born March 14, 1877.
Anderson, E. B., a native of Palmyra, was born in 1852, was educated at the Palmyra
Union School, and went to Chicago in 1869. Here he remained three years in con-
nection with the chief grain inspector's office of the Board of Trade, and for seven
years was cashier in a wholesale house there. Returning to Palmyra in 1879, he married
in 1884, Elizabeth H., daughter of Willis T. Gaylord, of Sodus, N. Y., and they have
had two children : Gaylord W. and Edwin W. Mr. Anderson has served one year as
village president, and three years in the Board of Education, and has been connected
with the coal trade for fifteen years.
Albright, John H., was born in Ontario, March 26, 1845, the son Abraham Albright,
born in 1816, on the Atlantic Ocean while his parents were on their way from Holland
to America. Abraham was reared on the farm and was a farmer all his life. The subject
of our sketch was also brought up on the farm, and was educated at Sodus and Wal-
worth Academies. He worked for his father until of age when he purchased a farm of
seventy- five acres. He also has an interest in and charge of the homestead farm of 200
acres. He has a twenty four acre vineyard of Niagara grapes and raises other small
fruits. In 1874 he was married to Miss Joanna H. Johnson of Williamson, daughter of
the late James Johnson, and they have one son, J. Stanley, born Octobsr 24, 1878. Mr.
and Mrs. Albright are members of South Shore Grange, No. 552, and they attend the
Presbyterian church at Ontario Centre.
Austin, Orlando, was born in Williamson, April 3, 1826, a son of Pasqua and Mar-
garet (Davis) Austin, natives of Washington county. The grandfather of our subject
was Pasqua Austin, a native of Rhode Island born in 1765, who came to Williamson
about 1771, and died in 1834. The father of our subject came to Williamson in 1824,
and bought part of the farm now owned by Orlando, to which he added later, retiring
from active life at the age of sixty- five. He died in 1886 and his wife in 1876. Orlando
was reared on the farm and lived at home until the age of thirty. He then went to
Iowa and superintended railroad work for a time, and then went to Wisconsin for a
short time; thence to Chicago in 1856, where he invested in real estate. In 1858 he re-
turned to this town, and three years later engaged as traveling salesman for nursery
stock. Six years later he went west and engaged in the nursery business with Frank
Norris, of Brighton, selling out to him after one year, and going to Iowa, where he en-
gaged in the forest tree nursery business for four years. In 1876 he came to Williamson
and married (1877) Clarissa M. Barker of Pittsford. They resided in Pittsford five
years. He then engaged in the real estate business in Rochester two years, afterwards
traveling in the interest of a soda and baking powder house for a year. He then re-
turned to Williamson and bought the homestead, where he has since lived. The place
consists of 100 acres of fine land, on which he has made many improvements. He is
member of Pultneyville Lodge, No. 159, F. & A. M. Mr. and Mrs. Austin have one
daughter, Lula C.
Anderson, George, son of Peter and Pamelia Anderson, was born in Wayne county,
April 21, 1859. Beside himself, there were Jennie and Lillie, who both died in 1884;
John, now also resides in Savannah, and Kate, the wife of Charles Reade, jr.. of this
place. Peter Anderson came from Seneca into Wayne county when a young man, and
FAMILY SKETCHES. 21
cleared a farm four miles northwest of Savannah. At this time he is seventy- five years
of age, and lives a retired life at South Sodus. His wife, Pamelia, was a daughter of John
W. Haddon, and died September 15, 1884. The boyhood of our subject was spent in
Savannah, where he acquired an excellent education, and he married December 4,
1878, Lottie, daughter of Charles Eeed of Savannah. They have three children : Cora,
born September 15, 1880; Minnie, born May 9, 1882; Ross P., born February 22, 1887.
Mr. Anderson is a man of so retiring nature that only intimate friends recognize his real
worth and ability. He built in 1884 a very handsome modern residence.
Allen, Joseph, a native of Mansfield, Conn., born June 19, 1820, came with his pa-
rents to Oneida county the same year, and to Newark, Wayne county in 1839. Two
years later he removed to Palmyra, and entered the machine shop of Eldridge Williams.
In 1842 he began the manufacture of scales here, and in 1844 manufactured the Fair-
banks scales comprising all the different styles. In 1855 he commenced selling dry
goods and groceries, at the same time continuing the manufacture of scales and agri-
cultural implements, having a general store, and this he has followed for the past thirty
years. He has a large store, fifty-six feet front and 110 feet deep, comprising two and
a half stories.
Alborn, Edward F., was born in Waddington, Eng., January 22, 1846, the fifth child
of ten children born to Edward and Elizabeth (Green) Alborn, natives of England.
Edward came to Ontario in 1854, but soon moved to Walworth, and there the father
died in July, 1892. His wife survives him and resides in that town. Edward was nine
years of age when his parents came to Ontario. He was reared on a farm, educated in
the common schools, and has been a contractor and a miner of iron ore in Ontario for
ten years. At present he is a farmer, and owns 115 acres of land. In addition to farm-
ing he is interested in stock and fruit raising. Mr. Alborn is a Prohibitionist, and is a
member of of the Presbyterian church of Ontario Centre. On February 18, 1874 he
married Eliza Lolley, a native of Ontario, and daughter of Thomas and Sarah Lolley,
natives of England, he from Yorkshire and she from Kent. Seven children were born to
Mr. Alborn and wife : Edward T , Joseph A., Cora B., Charles W., Floyd A., Lewis P.,
and Clarence L. Indian relics have been plowed up on the farm Mr. Alborn now
Alden, Hiram, was born in Kenosha, Wis., January 25, 1847. His father was a
native of Wayne county, moved to Wisconsin and died there in 1847. Hiram was
educated in the common schools and finished at the Sodus Academy, after which he re-
turned to his grandfather, Ede Alden, At the age of thirty- two he married Mattie E.,
daughter of George W. Peterson of Sheboygan county, Wis., and they are the parents
of one son, E. Leroy and one daughter, Myrtie I. In 1875 he bought the Alvah Brun-
dage estate of seventy-six acres, raising hay, grain and stock and small fruits, taking an
intelligent interest in educational and religious matters.
Allen, Charles E., was bern in Ontario, May 1, 1861, the son of Jeremiah and Maria
Grant Allen, natives of Ontario. Jeremiah Allen was a farmer. He and his wife were
members of the M. E. church. He died in September, 1882. Our subject was reared on a
farm, and educated in the Rochester Union Schools. He has always been a farmer and
owns seventy-five acres of land. January 22, 1883, he married Ada Coyer of Oswego,
and they have two children, Bertha M. and Clifford F. Mrs. Allen is a daughter of
Benjamin and Eliza Coyer, who resided in Oswego many years, where both died when
Mrs. Allen was a child.
Allen, F. S., was born June 22, 1857, the son of Jeremiah and Maria Grant Allen,
mentioned in this work. The subject of this sketch was reared on a farm, and educated
in the common schools, and he now owns twenty-five acres of land and raises small
fruits. He married Addie Cone, of Ontario, daughter of George B. Cone, who died in
1882. Mr. and Mrs. Allen have one son, Jay M., bora July 17, 1881.
22 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
Allen, Henry C, was born in the town of Root, Montgomery county, February 8,
1837, and is the oldest of five children of Abram P. and Emeline (Yorhees) Allen. The
grandfather was Prince Allen, and the grandmother, Ruth (Pratt) Allen, were both born
in Washington county, N. Y., and in an early day settled in Montgomery county, where
they lived and died. The father of our subject came to Marion in 1856. where he
resided until his death, January 4, 1859, and his wife in October, 1868. Of the family
there are three sons and one daughter now living. Elisha P. was in the Rebellion, and
was wounded at Gettysburg, where he died from his wounds and was buried in the
national cemetery. Our subject was reared upon the farm and has always followed
farming and carpentry. He also buys and sells apples and is quite largely engaged in
fruit growing. He married, in 1862, Louisa M., daughter of J. H. Bilby. They have
one son, Elmer J. Allen, who resides with them and works the farm. His wife is
Carrie N. Pulver, of Marion, and they have one son, Wayne. Mr. Allen has been
supervisor of the town, and is a member of the A. 0. U. W. of Marion.
Austin, William C, born in Williamson, May 21, 1822, is the son of Nathan L. and
Dorcas (Congdon) Austin, natives of Washington county, who came to Williamson in
1819. He died February 19, 1872, and his wife June 7, 1879. The grandfather was
Pasqua Austin, born June 3, 1765, and died August 5, 1834. His wife was Penelope
Lee, born in 1777, and died November 22, 1830. Subject was educated in the common
schools and at the Marion Academy, and followed farming until twenty years of age,
when he engaged in speculating in stock, which he followed sixteen years. He then
engaged in the mercantile business in Marion, and built the store now occupied by Mr.
Peer. He was appointed postmaster, and held the office six years. He engaged in the
undertaking business and continued until April 1, 1894, when he sold to Scott B.
Curtis. He was deputy sheriff a short time, but resigned and was justice of peace for
four years. He married, in 1850, Armina Boyce, a native of Washington county, and
daughter of Peter and Eunice (Davis) Boyce, who came from Washington county to
Marion and went West, and Mr. Boyce died in Morley, Mo., and his wife in Chicago,
111. The maternal grandfather of subject was John Congdon, a native of Rhode Island
who came to Washington county in an early day, where he died.
Aikin, John B., represents one of the pioneer families of the locality. His parents,
John and Margaret (Young) Aiken, came into Butler county sixty years ago, and their
original domicile was a log house, a residence which, however, seemed conducive to
longevity, as they reached and adorned age. John B. acquired a good education during
the palmy days of the old academy at Red Creek, and upon the attainment of his major-
ity became a tiller of the soil. As commissioner of roads, and of excise, he has demon-
strated public office to be a personal trust. In 1864 he married Josephine Wadsworth,
of Butler, by whom he had two children, who died in infancy, and a son and daughter,
who remain : William J. and Nellie M.
Barker, David E., of Macedon, was born in Monroe county, May 23, 1853, a son of
William G., who was born in Canada June 24, 1809, and came to the United States at
an early age. He settled in Dutchess county and engaged in farming, which he followed
all his life. William G. married Caroline Cornell, daughter of William Cornell, and
they had eight children, four now living. She was of the family of Friends. David E.
was the youngest child. He was educated at the Macedon Academy, and married
Fannie Baker. He, like his father, has always followed agriculture. He married
second, Alice Green, of Michigan, November 1, 1883, by whom he has two children :
Adda and William. Mr. Barker is a Granger, and a Republican in politics.
Bradley, William, was born in Lyons, April 7, 1819. His father, Thomas, was a
native of Londonderry. Ireland, came to the United States and settled in Alloway
(a. small hamlet in South Lyons), and entered the employ of Captain H. Towar. In
1818 he married Miss Louanna Bradley, who came from Litchfield, Conn., and soon
FAMILY SKETCHES. 23
after bought what has been known since that time as the Bradley Farm on the old
Pre-emption road in South Lyons. William was educated in the common schools, to
which he has added through life by reading and close observation. At the age of thirty-
six he married Catherine J., daughter of William A. Teller, and they are the parents of
five children, three of whom, H. Seymour, Charles W., and Mrs. Rosie Horn, are now
living. Mrs. Maggie A. Ternouth died at Albany in 1884. Rev. David L. Bradley was
a very highly educated man, had served as pastor two years at Cape Vmcent, had com-
menced his third year when at twenty-eight years of age, he received a summons from
the master he served and loved so well, to lay down his burdens, to receive his reward.
Our subject is one of the prominent farmers in his town. In 1857 he bought the
William Ennis property of sixty-eight acres in South Lyons, to which he has added,
taking an active interest in educational and religious matters.
Blaker, Benjamin C, of Macedon Center, was born in Monroe county, July 24, 1830,
a son of Petrocles Blaker, a native of Pennsylvania, boin in 1800, who came to New
York State at an early day and settled in Henrietta, Monroe county, where he took up
farming. He never came to Wayne county to reside. He was a mason in early life,
but in his later years devoted his attention to farming. He married Matiah tarter, of
New Jersey, by whom he had these children : Mary J., Benjamin C, Thomas, Elizabeth,
Beulah, Martha, and Ruth A., the latter and Elizabeth being deceased. In 1858 our
subject married Mary Fritts, of Monroe county, and they have four children: Minnie,
who died, aged nineteen years; Clarence, who is married and resides on the homestead;
Nellie, a graduate of Macedon Academy ; and Dora, also a graduate of the Chautauqua
Literary and Scientific Circle.
Brown, Elisha, a native of New Jersey, was born in 1807, and at the age of seventeen
years came to Williamson, where he lived some time. He then bought a farm in
Marion, and resided there several years, and then located in Palmyra in 1846, and there
spent the remainder of his life, dying in December, 1893. His first wife was Cyntha
Hoag, by whom he had three children: Alfred, now of Illinois; William, who died
young ; and Frances, now Mrs. J. W. Guerney, of Palmyra. Mrs. Brown died, and he
married second. Mary, daughter of Stephen Durfee, by whom he had four children :
Garrison, now of Illinois; Emily, wife of William H. Nichols, of Iowa; Joseph S.,
who resides in Nebraska ; and Edwin D., who lives on part of the home farm. The
latter was born in 1858, and was educated in Palmyra, where he has always lived. In
1891 he married Alida L. Harrington, daughter of Hiram Harrington, a native of Wash-
ington county, and they have one child, Raymond H., born August 31, 1892. The mother
of our subject died in 1881. His father's farm consists of 162 acres, purchased of
Stephen Durfee, and of this Edwin D. owns fifty acres.
Bryant, Lewis J., was born in Newark, February 1, 1835, educated in the Union
school and academy, and his early life was spent on the homestead farm, and later in the
nursery business and market gardening on the farm, near the village. The homestead
comprises fifty-five acres. February 23, 1859, he married Jane C. Church, formerly of
Madison county, and they had two sons : L. Rae, who married Elizabeth Hoeltzel, of
Newark, and has one son : L. Henry (the fifth generation on the home farm) ; and
Lynn T., who assists his father in the business. James Y., father of our subject, was
born in Essex county, N. J., September 6, 1801, and his parents removed to Cayuga
county in 1804, and to Newark in 1806. October 29, 1828, he married Betsey Darland,
of Newark, and they had three children : Lydia A., Lewis J., and Francis Y. He died
in January, 1871, and his widow survives at the age of ninety years. Simeon, grand-
father of Lewis J., came here in 1806. and bought the home farm from Phelps & Gor-
ham's land office in Geneva. Mrs. Bryant's father, Benjamin Church, was born in
Madison county, September 2, 1816, and married Sarah Osborne, a native of England,
and they had four children : Charles, Jane O, George W., and Adeiia S. He died,
December 9, 1880, and his widow resides with her daughter, Mrs. Bryant.
24 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
Bartle, Andrew C, was born in Wayne county December 2, 1828, and received his
higher education at the Genesee Wesleyan Seminary at Lima, and at Clinton Libera]
Institute. In early life he served as clerk in a wholesale hardware store in New York
city. In 1853 he came to Newark, and engaged in lumbering with B. F. Wright,
under the firm name of Bartle & Wright, which continued two years. From 1855 to
1868 he carried on the business alone in Newark with a branch in Clyde, then took as
partner Mr. Eames, this firm still continuing in Newark. May 10, 1854, he married
Mary A. Mulford, of Hulberton, Orleans county, they have one daughter, Charlotte.
Mr. Bartle's father, James P., was born in Freehold, Greene county, July 3, 1791,
and was a colonel in the war of 1812. While a young man he came to Newark, and
married Louisa B. McNeil, of Deerfield, Oneida county, by whom he had five children :
Antoinette A., Andrew O, Louisa T., Adelaide O, and Alice S. James P. Bartle was
the first supervisor of Arcadia, and represented the district in the Legislature, and was
also the first postmaster in Newark, continuing until 1840. He was the first worship-
ful master of Newark Lodge No. 83, F. and A. M., and the first high priest of Newark
Chapter No. 117, R.A. M. He died January 24, 1863, and his wife January 6, 1873.
Andrew C. is a member of Newark Lodge No. 83, F. and A. M., and of Chapter 117, of
Newark, R. A. M., also of Monroe Commandery, Rochester, No. 12, K. T., and also a
member of the A. 0. U. W., No. 116. First two stores for general merchandise, dis-
tillery, boat-yard, produce business and various other branches of business, and identi-
fied with village improvements, erecting churches, hotels, printing offices and building
roads and bridges.
Burnham, Hon. Edwin K., was born in Randolph, Vt., September 8, 1839, educated
in the common schools and the Royalton Academy and completing his studies at the
Orange County (Yt.) Grammar School. In 1862 he enlisted in Company C, 15th Ver-
mont Infantry, and was at the battle of Gettysburg, being honorably discharged as
sergeant in 1863. In the spring of 1864 he graduated at the Albany Law School, and
was admitted to practice in the courts of the State. In June of the same year he came
to Newark and entered upon the practice of his profession as a partner of James E.
Briggs, a native of his own State. In September of the same year he re-enlisted into
the army, and October TO, 1864, was commissioned captain of Company D, 111th
Regiment, N. Y. Infantry, and went with his regiment, participating in the engage-
ments in and around Petersburg until taken prisoner April 2, 1865. He was returned
to his regiment April 9, the day of Lee's surrender, and honorably discharged June 4,
1865. Returning to Newark he began the practice of law, and in 1872 he founded the
Newark Union. In the fall of 1884 he was elected to the Legislature, and was largely
instrumental in the passage of a bill establishing the Custodial Asylum for Feeble-Minded
Women at Newark, which is now a nourishing State institution, and of which he is
secretary aud member of the Board of Trustees. In June, 1889, he was appointed
superintendent of public buildings, which position he filled with credit and honor. One
of the first innovations made by him was the rule that the national flag should lloat
from the staff on the capitol every week day through the year, which was the origin of
the movement to display the Hag on public school buildings. Mr. Burnham owns a half
interest in the Wayne County Preserving Company at Newark, and has twenty acres
devoted to fruit and vegetable growing. He has served as justice of the peace eight
years and as super isor four terms. August 31, 1865, he married Nancy A. Dillingham,
a niece of Governor Dillingham, ami of their four children one daughter died in infancy,
the others are George A., Edwin D, and Helen E. Mr. Burnham is a member of Vos-
burgh Post No. 99, G. A. R., of which he has been commander four terms. He is also
a member of Newark Lodge No. 83, F. & A. M., and also of the I. O. 0. F. No. 250, of
the A. O. U. W. No. 17, and of the Grange.
Brink, A. C, born May 20, 1863, at North Wolcott, is the son of Emmons Brink, who
is a producer and shipper of small fruits at that place. He received his education at
FAMILY SKETCHES. 25
Red Creek Seminary, prosecuted the study of law in the office of Anson S. Wood, and