was for four years in the office of Freeman & Green, of New York. In 1882 he se-
cured admission to the Wayne county bar, and began practice in Wolcott. Mr. Brink
is a Republican and a successful lawyer. He has traveled extensively through the west,
being engaged for several years in the negotiation of real estate upon the Pacific coast,
and also in Chicago, 111.
Barnes, R. R., was born in Van Buren, Onondaga county, November 21, 1849. His
father, Asa Barnes, was a prominent farmer of that town. He died in 1870, aged
eighty- two years. R. R. Barnes was educated at the Baldwinsville Academy and Caze-
novia Seminary, after which he returned to his father's farm. March 1, 1872, he came
to Clyde and purchased the business of R. R. Mattison, being associated with Eugene P.
Reed. In 1874 he purchased Mr. Reed's interest, and is now carrying one of the largest
and best selected stocks of clothing and men's furnishing goods in Wayne county. At
the age of twenty-five he married Edna A., daughter of Henry W. Le Vanway, and
they are the parents of three children: Bertram W., Le Van R., and Curtis B. Our sub-
ject is one of the longest established merchants in his town.
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
Bastian, George B., was born in the town of Galen, Wayne county May 29, 1852.
His father, Michael, a native of Alsace, Germany, came to the United States in 1835,
and settled in Oneida county, removing to Galen in 1837. George B. received a com-
mon school education. At the age of twenty-one he married Carrie, daughter of George
Ehresman, of Lyons, and they are the parents of four children : George H., Ella B., Eva
L., and Meda Belle. In 1881 he and his brother purchased 320 acres of land about a
mile and a half south of the village, afterwards dividing the property, each taking one-
half. He is one of the leading farmers of the locality, and is engaged in raising hay,
grain, fruit, stock, etc., also runs a milk dairy, averaging 200 quarts daily. Our subject
takes an active interest in politics, being a Democrat. He was elected town assessor in
1886 and served three years.
Bennett, Charles, was born in Williamson, January 20, 1822, and is a son of Josiah
and Ruth Bennett, mentioned in this work. Our subject was educated in the Palmyra
and Marion Academies. He has always been a farmer and owns eighty- five acres of
land, on which his father settled. Mr. Bennet was a Whig, and assisted in organizing
the Republican party, of which he has since been a member. He has been collector one
year and assessor nine years, and also trustee of the school for several years. He was a
member of I. O. 0. F. Mr. Bennett married twice ; first, Delia Warner, of Sodus, they
had six children, of whom five are living : J. Warner, who has been a postal clerk for
fifteen years and is now a druggist in Williamson, he married Lelia Brown, of Richville;
Josiah, died in infancy ; Ellen W. ; C. Fred ; Edward A. ; Mamie C. Mrs. Bennett
died in 1871, and Mr. Bennett married for a second wife Mrs. Phebe I. Bishop, of Rich-
ville, N. Y. She had two children by a former husband, Mattie I. and Errie R. Bishop.
There was born to Mr. and Mrs. Bennett one daughter, Jennie D., now married to Mr.
I. Brasser, of Buffalo,
Bishop, John Calvin, was born February 7, 1829, a son of Captain Chauncey Bishop,
of Rose, being the eighth generation in America, from John Bishop, who emigrated to
Guilford, Conn., in 1639. Necessity compelled an early departure from home of some
of the children to earn their own support, and John C. began teaching in the town of
Lyons, November 2, 1845, before he was seventeen. He was successful and continued
teaching and attending school for the next ten years. He graduated at Normal school
at Albany, April 4, 1850. At Albany he was attacked by cholera and just escaped
death. He studied surveying and engineering under Prof. George R. Perkins, and
though he has lived on a farm his chief occupation is engineering. His wife was Mary
Skilton Avery, a descendant in the seventh generation from Christopher Avery, who
emigrated from England in 1630. She is of the family known as " The Averys, of
26 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
Groton." The most distinguished member of the family from Wayne county was the
late Hon. John H. Camp, of Lyons, a descendant of Christopher Avery. The Skiltons
were an old Connecticut family. The children of John C. and Mary Bishop were all
born at Pilgrimport, their present residence. The first born, Anna, died in 1870, aged
fifteen. Charles Avery, the oldest son, is a farmer in Tyre, Seneca county. His wife
was Jane E., daughter of William Smart, who came from England to Lyons about
1854. Their home is five miles south of Savannah village. They have five children.
He is a representative man of the best type of young American farmers. Lincoln, the
next son, also a farmer, resides at Pilgrimport. His wife was Francis Louise, daughter
of William Barrett, who is a grandson of Elder Barrett, the Rose Baptist preacher of
seventy years ago. John C. and Lincoln live as one family, Lincoln doing considerable
surveying every year, being a competent and skillful engineer. The youngest daughter,
Sarah, is at home unmarried. The youngest son, John Skilton, born September, 1861,
was educated in the Lyons Union School, Union University and the Albany Law
School. He had seven diplomas of graduation, and had been admitted to the bar in
Albany on a Supreme Court examination before he finished his course in the law
school. He went to Lincoln, Neb., in 1887. The Western Banker, a commercial pub-
lication of Chicago, issue of May 15, 1894, contains a portrait and sketch of his life and
character. June 20, 1894, he married Cora L. Knapp, of Rose Valley, N. Y. She is
the eldest daughter of E. H. Knapp, esq., who belongs to the family of Knapps residing
in Butler. They are of Connecticut stock, and date back to colonial times.
Benjamin, William, was born in the town of Westmoreland, Oneida county, in 1800,
a son of Benjamin Benjamin, who was a blacksmith, with limited means and a large
family. William, together with two older brothers, worked and paid for eighty acres
of land for their father. At the age of thirty-two years William married Nancy Shaver,
and moved to Butler, Wayne county, on the farm he had previously bought. At this
time the town was nearly an unbroken wilderness, only a small clearing around each log
house. Selling this he moved to Rose, this county, where he continued to prosper, and
at his death in his sixty-fourth year, had accumulated a large property. Both he and
wife were devoted to charity and Christianity. Their son, Manley F., was born in
Rose, this county, in 1837, and served his parents faithfully until his majority, when
his father placed him in the position of financial manager of his business, which post he
held until the latter's death. Soon afterwards he bought the entire estate, carrying it
on up to 1875, when he sold the farm, and married Jennie Stewart, daughter of Wil-
liam Stewart, of Clyde. They had two children : Roscoe, who died at the age of eight
years ; and Carlisle. Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin are interested in all religious and educa-
Bradley, Judd B.. was born in Lyons, August 8, 1852. His father, B. J., came to
Wayne county with his parents in 1805 and settled on the farm now occupied by Judd
B., who was educated in the common schools and finished at the Lyons Union School.
Afterward he returned to his father's farm, which he bought in 1881, and which has
been in the family since 1803, having two hundred and twenty-five acres, raising hay,
grain and stock, making a specialty of Jersey stock. At the age of twenty-four he
married Elda A., daughter of H. W. Palmer, of Port Gibson. Our subject is one of
the largest farmers in the town, identified in advancing its best interests. He is in pos-
session of deeds transferring some of the land from the English government to his
grandfather, Judd B. Bradley.
Burnett, William, was born in Phelps, Ontario county, January 20, 1824. His father,
James, was a native of Little Britain, N. Y. The family originally came from Scotland
and celebrated their one hundred and fiftieth anniversary in 1890, on the old farm.
James Burnett and his father came to Phelps about 1800 and was a well known man and
prominent farmer in that town. William was educated at Marion, Lyons and Clinton,
and in 1848 entered in sophsmore class at Union College, Schenectady, and graduated
FAMILY SKETCHES. 27
in the classical course in 1851 ; after which he taught school nine years. In 186G he
came to Clyde, engaged in the mercantile business, continued five years, and since then
has been engaged in surveying and civil engineering. At the age of thirty- eight he
married Loretta, daughter of Henry Van Tassel, and they have one daughter, Kath-
erine D., who is a graduate of St. Lawrence University and of New York Medical Col-
lege and Hospital for Women. Dr. Burnett is a practicing physician in Brooklyn, N.
Y. Our subject takes an active interest in educational matters.
Barrett, George D., was born in Hooksett, New Hampshire, January 9, 1846. His
father, William H. Barrett, was a prominent contractor and builder of that town, pay-
ing particular attention to railroad work. He was lieutenant-colonel of the Eighth
New Hampshire Regiment, entering the service as captain, was promoted for bravery
and meritorious conduct. He died in 1871, aged fifty-seven years. G. D. Barrett was
educated in the high schools of Nashua, New Hampshire, entering Dartmouth Medical
College in 1875, graduating in the class of 1828, and first opened an office in Boston. He
then removed to North Abington, remaining until 1884, and the same year came to
Marengo, remaining until 1893. He located in Clyde in November, 1894, and estab-
lished a general practice. At the age of thirty-two he married Mary H., daughter of
Alfred Randall, of Boston, and they have had two children : Grace M. and George C;
the latter died in childhood. Our subject was formerly a member of the Massachusetts
Medical Society, is now a member of the Wayne County Medical Society and health
officer of the town of Galen. Dr. Barrett early developed a desire for travel. At six-
teen years of age he took a three months' trip to the Bahama Islands and Gulf of Mex-
ico ; in 1867 visited Canada, stopping among the Canadians over six months; in 1869,
a trip to Mexico by way of Isthmus of Panama ; to Mazatlan, on west coast, nearly
a year was devoted to that country, and five years to California and Nevada.
Blackburn, John A., was born in Iredell county, North Carolina, October 14, 1828,
and was educated in the common schools, to which he has added by reading and close
observation. Afterward he established the hardware business in Hillville, Carroll
county, Va , continuing four years. In 1855 he came to Lyons and purchased the fan-
ning mill factory of S. D. Van Wickle, continuing the manufacture until 1863, when he
established the agricultural implement business, which he continues up to the present
time. At the age of thirty-two he married Margaret M., daughter of Jesse Smith, of
Lyons, and they are the parents of three daughters: Mrs. Jesse Van Camp, Isabel and
Grace. Our subject is one of the leading men in his town, taking an active interest in
educational and religious matters,
Bockoven, H. S., was born in the town of Galen, in 1834. His father, Samuel, was
one of the prominent farmers of the town of Galen. H. S. Bockoven was educated in
the common schools, and at the age of twenty-eight married Ada, daughter of Israel
Roy, by whom he has two daughters : Edna R., and Gertrude A. He has ninety-eight
acres of some of the best land in Wayne county, and raises mint, fruit, hay, grain and
stock. Our subject is recognized as one of the representative men of his town, taking
an active interest in school and church matters.
Bean, Amos, was born in England, in 1843. He was the youngest child of a family
of six children born to Samuel and Mary Bean, natives of England. May 28, 1856, he
came to Ontario and settled on the farm, where he died in 1877, aged seventy-seven
years. His wife died in 1894, aged eighty-nine years. Amos was thirteen years old
when he came to Ontario, where he has since lived, and is engaged in general farming.
Mr. Bean is an independent in politics. In 1870 he was married to Sarah Bean, widow of
a brother, George Bean. By her first marriage she had two children, Mary and Willie
(deceased). Of the second" marriage five children children were born : Hattie, Clara
Martha, Minnie and Eva.
28 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
Bradley, Benjamin, was born April 1, 1828, in Lyons. His father. Thomas, was a
successful farmer and prominent man in his town, and in business strictly honest, leav-
ing at his death eight children, six boys and two girls, the oldest being seventeen, the
mother having died several years before. The fact most worthy of mention was this :
The six brothers grew up without contracting the habit of strong drink, tobacco or
cards. The subject of this sketch received his education in the common schools, at-
tending the Lima Academy for a short time. After spending a year in Wisconsin he
returned to Lyons in 1853 and bought a small farm of forty-two acres from the Samuel
D. Westfall estate. Afterwards, another part of the same estate, also three other ad-
ditions from adjoining neighbors, possessing some of the best land in Wayne county,
making a specialty of fruit and grain. At the age of twenty-seven he married Sarah.
M., daughter of William A. Teller, and they are the parents of three children, two of
whom are living, Matie A. Eck, of Toledo, Ohio, and Clayton T., of Phelps. Our sub-
ject is one of the self-made men of his town, taking an intelligent interest in educa-
tional and religious matters, of sterling integrity and recognized worth.
Barber, William, carriagemaker, and dealer in wagons, sleighs, etc., at Red Creek, was
a soldier of the late war, having served for two years without material injury. He
enlisted in August, 1862, in the 138th N. Y. Vols., which was transferred to the 9th N.
Y. Heavy Artillery. He was born at Victory, Cayuga county, May 23, 1839. He
established his present business in 18G5 and still occupies the same location. In 1871
he married Jean Barber, of Syracuse, and they have two sons, Edwin W., born 1872, a
druggist in Syracuse, and Gay P., born 1873, who is engaged at wagon work with his
Barton, Archibald, was born in Haverstraw, Orange county, June 4, 1833. His
father, William, was a native of Connecticut. Archibald was educated in the common
schools. In 1855 he came to Lyons and engaged in farming six years, and in 1861
came to Galen. In 1866 he married Abbie N., daughter of Joseph C. Watson, and
they have had five children : Dillwyn, Joseph W., Lynn, Olive V., and Nellie. In 1871
he bought a part of the James Angell and the Skinner property of eighty-seven acres,
and in 1890 bought what is known as the Philip Haugh farm of fifty-five acres, having
195 acres of some of the best land in Wayne county, raising fruit, hay, grain and stock.
Our subject was highway commissioner three terms, re-elected in 1894, and takes an
active interest in education.
Bates, Mary E., daughter of Edward and Lucinda Clark, of Red Creek, is the widow
of William Bates, late of Westbury. Her father came here from Columbia county in
1853, and is still located upon the farm then purchased, and is a much respected citizen.
The maternal grandfather of our subject, Ezra Park, of Canaan, N. Y., was in many
ways a man of note. He was ten years of age when Fulton's steamboat first plowed
the waters of the Hudson, and was a witness of that scene. At his birth George
Washington was still living, and the Burr-Hamilton duel was fought while he was a
small boy. His Republicanism dated from the formation of the party, and he never
missed an election from his majority until his death in 1892, reaching the unusual age of
ninety-five years. Mrs. Bates is a lady of culture and refinement, widowed in early
womanhood, has two children, Edna L. and George C. William Bates enlisted as a
soldier of his country in Company F, 3d Regiment New York Light Artillery. He re-
ceived an honorable discharge, but while in the service contracted disease which re-
sulted in his death May 4, 1891.
Button, William W., was born in Wayne county in 1856, and in 1882 married Minnie
Penoyar, daughter of William H. Penoyar, of Lyons. Their children are : George
Henry, William Edwin, Stanley Leroy, Clara Louisa, ami Howard. The latter moved
from Lyons in 1888 to Palmyra. Both Mr. and Mrs. Button are natives of New York
city, who came to this county in 1869 and located in the town of Sodus, moving to
Peekskill, Westchester county, in 1889.
FAMILY SKETCHES. 29
Brandt, J. S., M.D,. was born in Ontario, February 15, 1856. He is the youngest
child born to J. W. and Sarah J. (Eddy) Brandt, he a native of Schoharie county, born
in 1823, and she a native of Williamson, born in 1818. The grandfather of J. S. Brandt
was Joshua Brandt, a native of Maine, and among the early settlers of Ontario, where
he lived and died. The maternal grandfather was Joseph Eddy, a settler of William-
son, and justice of peace many years. He died at the age of forty -six. The father of
J. S. Brandt was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools; was graduated
from the Buffalo Medical College, and practiced four years in Michigan. He afterward
came to Ontario, and practiced his profession until he retired, about four years ago.
Mrs. Brandt died in 1889. Dr. Brandt is a Democrat in politics, and was a surgeon in the
war of the Rebellion. J. S. Brandt was reared on a farm, and received his early educa-
tion in the common school. In 1873 he was graduated from the Rochester Collegiate
Institute, and from the Bellevue Hospital Medical College of New York in 1878.
Since that he has successfully practiced his profession in his native town, and is a mem-
ber of the western division of the New York State Medical Society. Dr. Brandt is a
Democrat. He is a member of the Walworth Lodge, No. 154, F. & A. M., and Pal-
myra Eagle Chapter, No. 79, R. A. M. Dr. Brandt was married in 1883 to Kittie G.
Maher, a native of Macedon, and daughter of Jeremiah and Mary Maher, both natives
of Canada. Four children were born to Dr. Brandt and wife : Eldred S., Arthur W.,
Willard J., and Harold L. Dr. Brandt is one of the pension examining surgeons of
Wayne county, appointed in 1893.
Brown, Charles, was born in Galen, May 30, 1840. His father, Silas Brown, was a
native of Vermont and came to Wayne county. He died in 1885, aged seventy-six
years. Charles Brown was educated in the common schools, to which he has added
through life by reading and close observation. At the age of twenty- one he married
Alvira, daughter of Abram De Golia, and they have one child, Mrs. Emma Corrigan.
In 1875 he purchased of his father fifty acres, where he now resides, and what was
known as the Brush farm, raising fruit, hay, grain and stock. Our subject is a liberal
supporter of schools, and the M E. Church of Clyde.
Bennett, John P., was born in Williamson, July 10, 1824, and is the son of Josiah
and Ruth Reeves Bennett, who came to America from England with his parents and
settled in Hudson. Josiah Bennett was educated at Pittsfield, Mass., Medical College,
and came to Williamson in 1815, and practiced his profession until his death in 1850.
Our subject was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools and Marion
Academy and Rochester Collegiate Institute. He engaged in farming, and in 1872 he
began buying and selling grain, and at present is engaged in the lumber business. He
has a large lumber yard and does a large business in making boxes for packing evapo-
rated apples and other fruit Mr. Bennett has been justice nine years, and was a mem-
ber of the Assembly in 1854-55, and in 1890. He was elected supervisor 1879, and is
now serving his sixteenth year. He was sheriff 1862-63-64 and 1868-69 and '70.
Mr. Bennett is a member of the Pultenyville Lodge, No. 154, F & A. M., and he and
his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church. In 1861 Mr. Bennett married
Sarah M.. daughter of William and Deliah Eddie Bradley, early settlers of Williamson,
N. Y., and they have five children : William J., who married Mary Freeman, and has
one daughter, Sarah P.; Albert B.; John D., died in infancy, R. May, and Samuel S.
Baker, George 0., was born in West Monroe, which was then a part of Constantia.
Oswego county, June 30, 1835. His father, Samuel P. Baker, was a native of Mar-
cellus. Onondaga county, and removed to Oswego county at the age of twenty-one,
where he engaged in the business of tanner and currier, and in the manufacture of
boots and shoes. During the latter part of his life Mr. Baker devoted himself to farm-
ing. He married Miss Mary H. Atherton, daughter of Samuel Atherton, and to them
were born eight children. Samuel Baker died in 1888. at the age of eighty-eight
years. George O. Baker, the fourth son, studied law and was admitted to practice at
30 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
Syracuse in 1S59, and came to Clyde in August of the same year, where he engaged
in general practice. He married Miss Ellen Gregory, daughter of Aaron Gregory, of
Mexico, Oswego county, and they are the parents of five children, two of whom are
now living, William G. Baker, of Poughkeepsie, and Alice J. Baker.
Booth, B. S.. son of Norman and Paulina Booth, of Huron, Wayne county, N. Y.,
was born in 1829. He acquired a business education at Lyons High School and in 1852
engaged as merchant in Wolcott. He is now the senior member of the firm of Booth
& Merrill, grocers and stationers, established in 1874. Mr. Booth was constable in
1857 and 1858, the first Republican postmaster of Wolcott under the administration of
President Lincoln in 1861, deputy sheriff from 1871 to 1877, under sheriff from 1877 to
1880 and is now a notary. October 9, 1851, he married Margaret, daughter of James
T. Wisner, and she died in 1857, and in 1858 Mr. Booth married Mary, daughter of
Hiram Church, of Wolcott, and they have four children, of whom one son, William, is
an engineer on the N. Y. C. & H. R. R.
Brownell, M. Alice, M. D., was born in Shelby, Orleans county. She was first
educated in the public schools, then in the Select School at Medina, at the Howland
Institute in Union Springs, at the Normal School of Brockport, and the Granger Place
School at Canandaigua. For nine years she was a successful teacher, during which she
studied medicine and later entered the medical department of the Michigan University
of Ann Arbor, from which she graduated in 1885, and practiced in Rochester five years
with success. August 1, 1891, she was appointed resident and attending physician of
the State Custodial Asylum for Feeble Minded Women, at Newark, by the Board
of Managers of that institution, which position she now retains and has creditably filled
for the past three years.
Bickford, Lyman, was born in East Bloomfield, November 1, 1820. Azariah Bickford,
his father, was a native of Maine. His grandfather, Rev. James P. Bickford, went to
Rochester in the year 1812, being one of the first settlers at that time. He afterward
removed to Michigan, where he died, at the age of 84. Azariah Bickford was a black-
smith by trade and started business in East Bloomfield. In 1819 he married Philana
Perkins, of the town of Victor, and their family consisted of nine children, Lyman B.
being the eldest. Azariah Bickford died in 1886, aged 84. Lyman Bickford is a
machinist and has carried on business since 1842. At present he is retired. April 28,
1842, he married Elvira Perkins and they are the parents of three children : Mary,
who married Colonel Henry Underbill, dying in her 26th year, and two sons, deceased.
Mr. Bickford is a member of the Masonic fraternity, Macedon Lodge 665. He is a
member of the Universalist Church. In politics he is a Democrat and served as super-
visor for five years. He was the founder of the Bickford & Huffman Company now
doing business in Macedon village.
Beardsley, David S., M. D., was born in Trumbull, Fairfield county, Conn., April 8,
1810. He is the youngest of the five children of James and Ruth (Summers) Beardsley,
natives of Trumbull, he born in 1758 and she in February, 1767. He was a Revolu-
tionary soldier. The family is of English descent, Mr. Beardsley having come to
America from Stratford-on-Avon, England, in 1635, at the age of thirty. He named the
town of Stratford in Fairfield county, Conn., and one of his descendants came to Western