George Washington Cowles.

Landmarks of Wayne County, New York online

. (page 56 of 107)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

New York and named the town of Avon. Dr. Beardsley is the seventh generation in
America. He was educated in the common school and Cherry Valley Academy, studied
medicine with Alonzo White, M. D, of Cherry Valley, Otsego county, and graduated
from the Albany Medical College in 1840. He practiced his profession at Middlefield
Center from 1842 to 1849, and in November of the latter year he came to Williamson,
and to Puitneyville in 1854, on April 1, where he has since had a successful practice.
He at present leads a retired life. November 24, 1841, he married Laura F. Carr, a
native of ITartwick, born July 23, 1820, and a daughter of Ephraim and Sarah (Todd)



FAMILY SKETCHES. 31

Carr, natives of Connecticut, Avho died in Otsego county, where the grandfather of
Mrs. Beardsley settled in 1790. Dr. Beardsley has been a life-long Democrat, and
voted for Andrew Jackson in 1832. He is a member of the Pultneyville Lodge, No.
159, and was a member of I. 0. 0. F. for many years. He and his family are mem-
bers of the Presbyterian church. The father of our subject. James Beardsley, was a
member of the assembly for eight terms, and a relative of Dr. Beardsley, who named
the town of Avon, N. Y.

Brockman, Lewis, a native of G-ermany, born June 8, 1853, is a son of Fred and
Eliza Brockman, who came from Germany to America in 1881 with two daughters and
settled in Rochester. They had a family of two sons and two daughters, all of whom
came to America and all still survive. Mr. Brockman was a farmer, and in religion
they are German Lutherans. Mrs. Brockman died in 1882, but he still lives in Roches-
ter with a daughter, Sopha, wife of William Coward. Lewis Brockman came to
America in 1874, having been educated in the common schools of Germany. He went
to work as a farm hand, and was seven years employed by William Gould. In 1881
he purchased the farm of eighty acres where he has since resided, carrving on general
farming and fruit growing, also evaporating fruit. In 1877 he married Hattie Kier, of
Ontario, by whom he has had these children : Bertha, William, Fred, Charlie, George
and Nora.

Breisch, F. L., was born in Hailbron, Wurtenberg, Germany, August 2, 1853. His
father, Frederick, came to the United States in 1856 direct to Lyons, and settled on a
farm at Alloway. He brought up a large family of ten sons and two daughters. F.
L. Breisch was educated in the common schools to which he has added through life by
reading and close observation. At the age cf eight he was bound out to a farmer, re-
maining six years. At seventeen he learned the millers trade at Alloway, and in 1874
came to the village of Lyons and entered the employ of Capt. C. Englehardt in the
grocery business. In 1878 was associated with G. M. Hattler in the dry goods busi-
ness, and in 1879 went with I. B Schuyler & Co. and established the original New
York store in Lyons. In 1886 he entered into partnership with R. A. Hubbard in a
general dry goods store, which connection terminated in 1889. Then in connection
with P. T. Hartman re-established the business carried on by I. B. Schuyler & Co.,
known as the New York Dry Goods Store. At the age of twenty-nine he married
Helen W., daughter of Henry Smith, of Lyons, and they have one son, Earle F. Our
subject is a Democrat in politics and was elected town clerk for two terms, and while
leading an active business life has found time to take an interest in school and church
matters, being a member of the Lutheran Church, also a member of Humanity F. &
A. M. Lodge No. 406. Our subject is recognized as a man of conservative character,
whose life has found his word to be as good as his bond.

Barnes, Harvey D., was born in Galen October 8, 1836, and was the son of Edward
Barnes. His wife was Hannah Tindall and their children were: Charles H, Caroline
E., wife of Peter Fisher, of Michigan ; Horatio V., and Mary Ella. Our subject left
home when eleven years of age and has always followed farming. In 1861 he enlisted
in the 44th N. Y. Vol. Ellsworth Regiment, Company K, and served three years. The
principal engagements in which he participated were siege of Yorktown, evacuation of
Centerville, Fredericksburg, Antietam, South Mountain and Gettysburg. He was dis-
abled March 11, 1862, and discharged at Johnson's Island, where he had been detailed
to guard prisoners. Since the war he has been engaged in farming, and owns ninety-
six acres. In 1864 he married Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Catchpole, of Huron.
Mr. Barnes is a member of the G. A. R. John E. Sherman Post No. 410, of Rose Val-
ley, and he and wife are members of the Clyde Grange, No. 33.

Burnett, A. C, was born in the town of Galen October 7, 1848. His father, W. H.
Burnett, was a native of Junius, Seneca county, and was a prominent farmer of the



32 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.

town of Galen. He married Jane A. Collamer, of Ballston, Saratoga county, and died
September 12, 188.'!, aged sixty-five years. A. C. Burnett was educated in the common
schools, to which he has added through life by reading and close observation. He re-
turned to his father's farm in 1X73, purchased one-half the homestead farm, and inher-
ited the other portion in 1883, having 200 acres, raising fruit, grain and stock. His
grandfather, Arch Burnett, was the first man to cultivate and distill mint in Wayne
county, securing the first roots from the wild mint on the banks of the streams. A. C.
Burnett married Alice, daughter of Spencer Yandemark, and they are the parents of
one daughter, Jane A. He is a member of Clyde Lodge No. 300, of Wayne Encamp-
ment, Newark, Galen Canton No. 49, and major on General Shafer's staff of Patriarchs
Militant.

Benton, William, was born in Columbia county August 11, 1827, and is the seventh
of the eleven children of Jonathan and Kate Mclntyre Benton, he a native of Ver-
mont, and she of Columbia county, N. Y. Both died in 1837. Our subject was reared
a fanner, and came to Williamson in 1853, and now owns eighty acres of land and
follows general farming. He is a Democrat. March 11, 1854, he married Angeline
Clark, a native of Columbia county, and a daughter of John I. and Margaret Clark,
now residing at Sodus Point. Mr. and Mrs. Benton have had eleven children: Arthur,
Helena, Justina, Estella, Willie and Annie, deceased ; Charles, John, Margaret, de-
ceased ; Ada and Fred.

Brown, George A., son of Benjamin and Mary Brown, was born in the town of Ros-
coemanor, Berks county. Pa., January 3, 1848. There he learned the trade of harness-
maker, and for a few years followed it as a journeyman, but in 1872 he came to Clyde,
where he has since resided. The year of his arrival here, Mr. Brown opened a small
harness shop — the nucleus of his present extensive manufactory, and which has de-
veloped into one of the largest industries of the kind between Syracuse and Rochester.
April 30, 1874, he married Hannah, daughter of Abraham Knight, of Clyde. They
have two children living, Ralph Robert and Aden George, and two deceased, Ella
Pauline and Laura Hannah.

Bevier, Fred, was born at Niles, Cayuga county, May 18, 1863. His father, Simon
Bevier, was a man of prominence at that place, and died in 1877, at the age of fifty.
Fred received a good academic education at Munroe Collegiate Institute at Elbridge,
N. Y. He adopted undertaking as his chosen profession, and began his business life
by association with N. G. Anderson of Syracuse. In 1892 he came to Wolcott, and
established the business at No. 30 Main street, making a specialty of arterial embalm-
ing, beside carrying a large stock of furniture. November 14, 1888, he married Cora,
daughter of William Tanner, of Niles. Mrs. Bevier graduated from the State Normal
School at Cortland, N. Y., in 1883, after which she spent several years in teaching.

Benton, John W., was born on the old homestead, upon which he now resides, Janu-
ary 21, 1823. He was educated in the public schools of Newark and at the Genesee
Wesley an Seminary at Lima, N. Y. November 21, 1850, he married Harriet, second
daughter of Austin and Sarah Roe, and they have two daughters, Frances Roe and
Harriet. Frances R. married Arthur N. Hull of Greenfield, Mass., and they have two
children, Lillian Preston and Roger Benton. Harriet married Rev. Francis Bellamy,
now of Boston, and they have two sons, John Benton and David. Mr. Benton's
father, Rev. Roger Benton, was born in Litchfield county, Conn., in 1770. He was a
clergyman and belonged to the Baltimore conference, and traveled in Central New
York as one of the pioneer Methodist ministers. He preached and travelled over large
circuits until his voice failed him entirely, when to occupy his time he taught school in
Canandaigua, hoping to regain his voice, but not recovering it, he decided to locate
and found his way through the wilderness from Canandaigua to this locality by blazed
trees with the aid of a pocket compass. He contracted for his farm in 1805, and built



FAMILY SKETCHES. 33

himself a log house on the spot where the subject of this notice now resides, making
one of the rooms in it especially large to accommodate religious meetings, where the
early settlers congregated regularly for seven years for public preaching and social
meetings. After which he built a church on his own farm, where the cemetery now is,
" the neighboring settlers aiding as they could by bees and labor." There was no vil-
lage where Newark now is, nor any central point. There was a saw mill at Marble-
town, and Geneva was the place where most of the business was done. Roger Benton
married twice ; first Sally Jenks, of Seneca, on Geneva Lake, and they had one son,
Lewis J. His second marriage was to Mrs. Frances (Beal) Oaks, formerly of Oaks
Corners, Ontario county. They had one son, the above John W. Roger Benton died
in 1846, and his wife in 1854. The ancestry of the Ben tons were English and Scotch.
Mrs. Benton's father, Hon. Austin Roe, was born in Litchfield county. Conn., in 1802,
and came to Wayne county with his parents when eighteen years old. He was a farmer
by occupation and married Sarah Wisner, formerly of Orange county, and they had
eight children : Deborah A., Charles, Harriet, Charlotte M., Austin L, Rebecca, Sarah
and Albert H. He died in 1866, aged sixty-four years. His wife still survives him,
aged ninety-two. The Roes are of English descent. Mr. and Mrs. Benton are mem-
bers of the M. E. church. He is one of the trustees, and has held many of the offices
of the church. He was superintendent of the Methodist Sunday school for thirty years.

Burghdorf, Joseph, whose great-grandfather came when a lad from Germany, is the
oldest son of Jacob J. and Miranda Burgdorf, who were life-long residents of Wayne
county. They reared a family of nine children, of whom six are now living. Joseph
was born at Auburn, October 28, 1836, and has been engaged in farming- the most of
his life. October 27, 1859, he married Mary E., daughter of George Doolittle, of But-
ler, who died October 19, 1874, leaving a family of four children : Harriet, wife of San-
ger Case, a merchant at Sodus Point; Addie, wife of E. D. Ebray, of Sodus; Spencer,
who married Sarah Stothard, and is a farmer of Victory, Cayuga county, N. Y. ; and
Allan, who died when eight years of age. In 1875 he married Laura A., daughter of
William H. Nichols, of Huron. Two children have been born to them : Paul M., who
is now at home, and Otto, who died in infancy.

Britton, John, son of Richard and Ann Britton, was born in Williamson, August 18
1831. Our subject was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools. He has
always followed farming and now owns eighty acres of land, which he settled on when
twenty- six years of age. He resided there thirty -six years, and then sold and came to
Williamson in 1891, where he now leads a retired life. He is a Republican in politics,
and was excise commissioner for three years. Mr. Britton and wife are members of the
Presbyterian church. January 18, 1857, he married Sarah D. Thomas, a native of
Marion, born in 1831. Mr. Britton has one adopted daughter, Daisy, the wife of George
Wamesfelder, of Ontario, and they have one daughter, Ruth. Mrs. Britton's mother
lived with her daughter until her death, ten years before she died, January 13, 1888,
at the age of eighty-one.

Brant, Hamilton, the third of seven children of Joshua and Susannah Brant, was born
in Schoharie county, August 3, 1809. He was reared on a farm and educated in the
common schools. He taught school and took great interest in public questions, and was
a good debater. He came to Wayne county about 1840 and bought the farm now
owned by the family, where he died in 1868. Formerly a Democrat he became a Re-
publican about 1856. He married in 1844 Frances B. White, a native of Saratoga
county, who was born March 24, 1824, and daughter of Stephen and Sarah White, and
they had ten children. Mr. White and wife came to Penfield, Monroe county, in 1831,
and emigrated to Michigan, where he died in 1872, and his wife in 1869. Mr. Brant
and wife have had four children : Mason, Amasa, Jennie, and William. Mason mar-
ried Jane Church, of Ontario, by whom he has seven children : Sarah J., Hattie R.,



34 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.

Amasa, Amelia J., George, William H., and Edith. Amasa married Florence Sweed, of
Penfield, and has two children : J. Hamilton and Leon. William married Carrie Ott,
of Walworth, and has one child, Homer Hamilton. Jennie, William, and their mother
reside on the homestead of 108 acres, and follow general farming, and are members of
Ontario Center Grange 122.

Barnard, Walter, was born in Schenectady county, February 26, 1847, was educated
in the common schools and at Ballston Spa Academy. In 1871 he engaged in railway
work, entering the employ of the Delaware and Hudson Company as freight brakeman,
and later as passenger conductor. In 1886 he entered the employ of the West Shore
Railroad Company as yard master at Newark, which position he has filled with ability
since. October 19, 1876, he married Rosamond Griswold, of Castleman, Vt., and they
have had two children : Nellie, who died young, and Lillian. Mr. Barnard's father,
Morgan L., was born at Lowville, Lewis county, in 1812, and was a hotel keeper all his
life. He married Catharine E. Hermanse, of Rensselaer county, and of their ten chil-
dren five survive : Walter, Anna, Helen, Emily, and Bella. He died in 1888, and his
widow survives him. Mr. Barnard is a Mason of Lebanon Unity No. 9.

Clark, James 0., son of Dennis Clark and Amanda Reeves Clark, was born in Pal-
myra, January 19, 1832. He married in 1856 Alinda, a daughter of Jamps T. Wisner,
who died in 1859. In 1862 he married Anna M. Reeves, daughter of Austin Reeves,
and their children are: Emerson D., who died aged thirteen years, and Hattie A.
James 0. Clark's farm consists of 150 acres, and was purchased in 1860 of Newton
Foster, a son of one the pioneers of the town. It was formerly a noted wheat farm,
but dairying is now its leading interest. Mr. Clark taught school a few terms in his
younger days, has been highway commissioner three years, and supervisor of Palmyra
four years. In politics he is a Republican.

Corrin, E. Q., was born on the Isle of Man, Janury 21, 1857, came to the United
States, and located in Clyde in 1870, being then thirteen years of age. He lived with
his uncle, Philip Grimsha, who was a farmer in the town of Galen. E. Q. Corrin was
educated in the common schools, to which he has added through life by reading and
close observation. He was appointed superintendent of the Gas Company in 1880 ; in
1885 went into the grocery business with E. Sands, continuing that connection two
years; in 1889 associated with E. N. Hughson and established his present business; in
1892 purchased his partner's interest, and is now carrying a large stock of stoves,
ranges, hardware and cutlery. At the age of twenty-four he married Laura, daughter
of Edwin Sands, and they are the parents of three children: John G,, Louise, and
Robena S. Subject was a member of the Republican County Committee four years, a
trustee of the school district four years, a leader of the Presbyterian church choir, and
one of the charter members of the Saxton Band.

Carver, P. K., came into the town of Savannah in 1836, the house was then on lot
99. The Monteznma turnpike road had cut off about two acres of land, which had
been sold to some former owner of lot 12 in Tyre. The house was moved over the
line in the fall of 1836, near the east bounds of lot 99, was an old Indian camping
ground, numerous relics were found there in 1837. Some of the first settlers were
buried on the lot, the ground being now used for farming purposes. The north line of
Seneca county was surveyed by Joseph Annin in 1791, marked a tree near the marsh:
Township No. 26, Lot 12. Annin surveyed Wayne county in 1798. making long and
narrow lots on the south line of the county, lot 99 being 42 6 ', chains on the east line
44 12 , chains on the west. The southwest corner of the town of Savannah is near the
center of the road, about 44 chains 36 links south of the southwest corner of lot 89.
The first settlers of the (now) town of Savannah came by the way of May's Point, and
had to go that way to get to mills in Cayuga and Seneca counties. After the turnpike
was made across Crusoe Island from Montezuma to Armitage, most of the farmers



FAMILY SKETCHES. 35

went to Port Byron and Troopsville to mill. There was a tollgate at the east end of
the Seneca River bridge, farmers commuting and paying the toll by working on the
road. P. K. Carver was married in 1855 to Sophia J. Burnett, of Lyons. Their family
consisted of four children : Helen, Mary, Gardner (now deceased), and Elmer, who
resides with his parents on their farm.

Creager, John, was born in Lyons, August 6, 1825. His father, William, was a
native of Frederick county, Md., and came to Lyons in 1802 with his father, Henry,
who exchanged his farm in Maryland for a section of 640 acres in the town of Galen,
now known as Creager's Bridge John was educated in the district school, which was
on the Creager estate. His father died when he was twelve years of age, and he had
to take the management, with the aid of his mother, of his father's farm. At the age
of twenty-five he married Rachael' A., daughter of John Levans, of Galen, and they
were the parents of one daughter, Sarah J., who died in August, 1892. In 1860 he
bought the Cole Roy property of 123 acres, raising large amounts of hay, grain and
stock, in 1867 removed* to Alloway, and in 1887 bought his present residence on Broad
street in Lyons. He is a Democrat in politics, and has held the office of assessor six
years, justice of the peace four years, and trustee of the school.

Cone, Walter L., jr., was born in Lenox, Madison county, March 13, 1832, the fourth
child of a family of six, born to Walter L., sr., and Caroline C. (Curtis) Cone, the father
having been born in Oneida county in 1798, and the mother in East Haddam, Conn., in
1803. They were married December 2, 1821. Mr. Cone died December 12, 1888, and
his wife, December 5, 1885. Walter L., sr., settled on the farm owned by our subject in
1837, cleared it, and there spent the remainder of his days. He was a Republican, and
was captain in the State militia. Walter L., jr., our subject, was reared on the farm,
educated in the common schools of Ontario, and engaged in farming, now owning 115
acres of land. He is a Republican, and has served as assessor three terms. November
11, 1858, he married Nellie Bennett, of that place. Mr. and Mrs. Cone have had two
children : Glen C, who married Allen Cattien, and has one child, Ada B. ; and Kittie, wife
of Floyd Gates, of Ontario. They have three children : Glen, Roscoe, and Elma M.
Glen C. is a fruit raiser and farmer. He has served as clerk of the Board of Supervisors
for three years. The grandfather of our subject was Walter R. Cone, of East Haddam,
Conn., born November 26, 1764, who married Dorothy Palmer, March 26, 1789. He died
November 22, 1829, and his wife in 1847. The father of Walter R. was Sylvanus Cone,
of East Haddam, Conn., born January 21, 1731, who married, November 13, 1755,
Hannah Ackley, born March 18, 1742. He died in Millington, Conn., May 3, 1812, and
his wife, June 24, 1789. His second wife was Mary E. Graves, whom he married
October 6, 1790. She was born in 1746, and died January 23, 1807. His third wife
was Eunice Spencer, whom he married November 1, 1809. She was born in 1736, and
died October 11, 1819. The father of Sylvanus was James Cone, who married Elizabeth
Warner. He was born in East Haddam, August 24, 1698, and died December 7, 1767.
He served as representative in 1747. He was married previously to this to Grace
Spencer who died in 1727. James was the son of Nathaniel and Sarah (Hungerford)
Cone, the former dying in 1731, and the latter in 1753. Nathaniel was the son of Daniel,
the first of the family to come to America. He was born in 1626, and died in 1706.

Craven, D. P., was born in Sodus, Wayne county, N. Y., October 17, 1841. He was
the oldest son of James and Hannah Craven,, who were natives of Yorkshire, England,
and came to America about the year 1835, settling in Ontario county, N. Y. Three years
after they moved to Sodus; they moved to Ontario, in 1853, where they lived till the
year 1867; leaving New York they settled in Jasper county, Iowa, where they resided
until their death, which occurred in 1886 and 1884. Our subject was reared on the farm
and educated in Sodus and Walworth Academies. He married Julia Bennett in On-
tario, N. Y., November 8, 1865, daughter of John and Jane (Mason) Bennett, natives of



36 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.

New York and New Jersey. In April he took the advice of the sage Horace Greeley and
went west and settling in Jasper county, Iowa, where he now owns 600 acres of as
productive land as is in the United States. Mr, Craven is a Democrat in politics, as are
also his five sons. He is agnostic in religion. He has held the office of supervisor for
a number of years in the State of Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. Craven are the parents of eight
children, five sons and three daughters, all living. J. Edwin, born September 6, 1866;
D. Homer, July 10, 1869 : John R., September 29, 1871 ; Thurman P., August 10, 1875 ;
Galen R., June 22, 1877: B. Gabrielle, January 24, 1879; M. Genevieve, August 24,
1881, and M. Guinevere, May 22, 1884. After an absence of twenty-sevetj years Mr.
Craven moved back to Ontario, N. Y., where he now lives and owns the McConnell
farm, situated midway between Ontario and Ontario Centre villages, leaving his three
older sons to manage his western farm.

Crandle, R. S., was born October 9, 1825, at the place where his home is now situated.
His parents, Seth and Rebecca, came from Mentz, Cayuga county. They had eight
children, of whom four now survive. Seth died September 21, 1871, and his wife Jan-
uary 16, 1855. Our subject began farming when twenty-five and purchased the farm
now his own in 1860. He married, January 14, 1864, Mary A., daughter of Loammi
Beadle of Savannah, by whom he had four children: Elton, born January 8, 1867, who
died aged fifteen, a youth of uncommon moral worth and studious habits; Everett,
born January 12, 1869, who married Bertha Titus and lives in Savannah; Martha, born
June 1, 1872, and Mary born September 25, 1874.

Clark, Samuel, of English stock, located in Palmyra about 1794, having three sens:
Samuel, jr., who removed to Michigan about 1840; Benjamin and Oliver, the two latter,
buying land together across the creek from East Palmyra. This farm was afterwards
divided, Benjamin taking the north and Oliver the south part. Here Benjamin died, and
also his daughters, one remaining granddaughter removing to the west about 1838.
Oliver was born February 14, 1767, and died January 21,1843. He came with the early
settlers from Long Island, and was a tailor, as well as farmer. He had three sisters, one
of whom became the wife of Gabriel Rogers, and later removed to Sodus. She was the
mother of B. R. and James of Lyons, and Erastus of Sodus. Another sister married
Solomon Franklin, and after his death, Luther Sandford. The other married Samuel
Soverhill of Arcadia. Her children were Joel and Hiram, and Mrs. Henry Cronise. In
1796 Oliver married Sarah Jessup, who died January, 1823. Their children were Maltby,
born March 31, 1798; Matilda, born June 3, 1800, died April 2, 1827; Jerry, born
September 16, 1802; Dennis, born March 21, 1805; Nelson, born May 7, 1827 ; Betsey
J., born December 5, 1810 ; Hannah, born February 14, 1812, and Hiram, born April
29, 1814, died January 11, 1835. Jerry, Nelson, Betsey J. and Hannah settled in Carlton,