George Washington Cowles.

Landmarks of Wayne County, New York online

. (page 57 of 107)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Orleans county. The mother of these children died January 8, 1823, and in 1828, Oliver
married Susan Romyen of Galen, who died in 1857. Maltby, the oldest of the family,
in 1821 married Maria Mason, who died the next year. In May, 1825. he married Jerusha
Jagger, by whom he had eight children : Henry M., born March 6, 1826 ; Maria M., born
January 25, 1829; Abigail J., November 3, 1831; Harriet E, August 8, 1834; Nelson,
March 23, 1837 ; Lucius H, December 8, 1840 ; Oliver M., January 31, 1846, and Mary
E,, January 28, 1850. Malty served in various town offices, was coroner six years, and
county superintendent of the poor three terms. He died in June 1875. Henry M. re-
sided with his parents until April 3, 1850, when he married Frances A. Foster. Their
children are Edwin H., born January 3, 1852, who resides near his father; George W.,
born July 26, 1853, died September 30, 1875; and Julia F., born August 14, 1856, who
married Edwin F. White. The first four years of Henry M.'s married life were passed on
a part of his grandfather's home farm, which he afterwards sold, and bought the place
where his son now resides. He was member of assembly in 1874, supervisor in 1880 and
'81, and has been stated clerk of the Presbytery of Lyons for the last twenty-four years.



FAMILY SKETCHES. 37

Carman, Truman, is a native of Monroe county, born in 1830, who came when a
child, with his parents to Wayne county. He followed farming until about thirty- five
years of age, then engaged in the real estate and stock trade in Rochester, Monroe
county, for five years. He then returned to Wayne county and to Palmyra in 1884.
In 1855 he married Emeline Miller, of this county, born in 1835, and they have three
children : James, Jennie and Lee. The parents of our subject were Peter and Mary
(Armstrong) Carman, were natives of Dutchess county, who moved to Wayne county
about 1835, and died in Walworth. Mrs. Carman's father, Sylvester L. Miller was
born in Herkimer county in 1804 and was a merchant at West Walworth for fifty years
and there he died in 1879. He married Charlotte Chase, who was born in 1807 in
Oneida county, and died in 1877.

Clarke, F. Wake, M. D., was born in the town of Ontario, Wayne county, N. Y.
June 1, 1850, the only son of John and Matilda Wake, his mother dying when he was
an infant. He was adopted by his uncle and aunt, John and Mary Wake Clark, from
whom he received the name of Clark. Dr. Clark was reared upon a farm and educated
at the Marion Collegiate Institute and Walworth Academy. In the early part of the
year 1877, he engaged in mercantile business in Williamson, first in partnership with
Lewis R. Rogers, now of Albion, N. Y., until the spring of 1880, when he purchased
Mr. Rogers' interest and conducted the business alone until January 1, 1886, when he
sold out his business to Lofthouse and Norton. In the spring of 1887 he began the
study of medicine with Dr. Peer, of Ontario, and in the fall of the same year he en-
tered the New York Homeopathic Medical College and Hospital, from which he grad-
uated with honor, receiving his degree of M. D. April 11, 1890, and in the same year
located in Williamson, where he has since had a very successful practice. Dr. Clark is
a member of the New York State Homeopathic Medical Association, the Western New
York Medical Association, and is past master of Pultneyville Lodge, No. 159, F. and
A. M. On February 18, 1874, he was united in marriage to Mary A., a daughter of
Mason L., and Lydia P. Rogers, of Marion, N. Y. Dr. Clark and wife have had two
children : Roger Wake, born December 6, 1874, a graduate of Marion Collegiate Insti-
tute, class of '94, and Inez M., born August 21, 1879.

Conklin, Clarence, is a son of William, born in the town of Niles, Cayuga county,
October 15, 1827, was educated in the common schools, and his life was spent on a
farm till 1882. February 2, 1852, he married Maria Brinkhoof, and their children
were: Clarence, Laura, Mary, Ida, Ralph, William and Edward. In 1880 he moved to
the town of Bristol, and four years later to Newark, where he established a lumber
business and a box factory, making custom work a specialty The business was in a
very prosperous condition when, in 1892, occurred the fire by which the firm were
heavy losers, it then being William Conklin & Son. After the fire he sold his interest
to his son, Clarence ; the latter married Alice Sheldon, of Cayuga county, and they
have three children : Frank A., Neva M. and C. Leslie. The ancestry of the family on
both sides can be traced to Holland. Jacob, father of William Conklin, was born in
Dutchess county, and the grandfather, John, came to Cayuga county in 1810. Mrs.
Conklin died May 20, 1875, and two daughters are also deceased, Laura and Mary.

Chase, Dr. H. L, was born in Wayne county, January 16, 1853, educated in the
Walworth Academy and studied medicine with Drs. Rose, of Walworth, and Ingraham,
of Palmyra, later entering the office of Professor Hines, of Cleveland, 0. He gradu-
ated from the Union University, in Albany in 1875, and began practice at Macedon,
which he continued till 1890, since which time he has practiced in Palmyra. Lyman,
father of Dr. Chase, came to Walworth, driving from Plattsburg in 1819, with his
father and brothers. He was a cooper by trade, and married Martha Andrew, a na-
tive of Massachusetts. Lyman died in 1864, and his wife in 1880.



38 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.

Edward Curtis was born in Madison, Madison county, July 17, 1825. His father,
Eli Curtis, was born in Stratford, Conn., in 1781, and died in 1861. His mother,
Hulda (Tyler) Curtis, was also a native of Stratford, and was born in 1790, and died in
1866. They were among the early settlers of Madison, and the street where they set-
tled was named Stratford street, from the name of their native place in Connecticut,
from where the first settlers had emigrated. Eight children were born to Eli and
Hulda Curtis, of which Edward is the youngest living. Of the eight children only one
sister besides now survives. Edward was educated in the common schools and at Au-
gusta Academy. He was favored in being a pupil of David P. Page, first principal of
the State Normal School, at Albany, and heard the lectures: "Theory and Practice of
Teaching," afterwardwards published in a book. David P. Page was one of the ablest
instructors in the State, and no educational work on school-teaching has ever super-
seded his " Theory and Practice of Teaching." To the spirit inculcated and the lessons
taught, in this book, E. Curtis credits largely the success of his forty years of teaching
in the common and union schools. He commenced teaching at the age of seventeen,
soon after receiving a State certificate. His best life energies were given to only five
different schools, save acting as vice-principal of Marion Collegiate Institute. Tn 1845
Mr. Curtis was married to Lura A. Dudley, of Augusta, N. Y., who was born June 21,
1824. She was the daughter of Rev. Ira J. and Laura (Hurd) Dudley, natives of Hart-
ford, Conn., and early settlers of Oneida county. Mr. Dudley died in Madison, Mad-
ison county, January 25, 1881, where his wife now resides, aged ninety years. Mrs. E.
Curtis died suddenly. October 24, 1893. She was well educated, was thoughtful and
discreet, and graced the home sphere as few can. Four children were born to Mr. and
Mrs. E. Curtis: Genevieve, who married Charles E. Allen, in 1875, and died August
18, 1889; Evangeline, who survives her husband, C. Frank Radder, with two sons, Carl
C. and Ray R.; Georgp, who died in Madison county, in infancy, and Rollo D., who
was educated in Yates Polytechnic Institute, and married to Alice M. Platner, of Savan-
nah, in 1885. This family was in the Marion Collegiate Institute four years, excepting
Rollo D, who was publisher of the Jordan Intelligencer, at Jordan, N. Y. In 1880
Rollo D. Curtis sold the Jordan Intelligencer, and in September 24, 1880, assisted by
his father, Edward Curtis, established the Marion Enterprise. This business was pro-
jected that the family might be together. It was not thought to be continued, but so
well has it thrived, latterly, under the firm name of E. Curtis & Son, that to-day it is
considered one of the leading journals of Wayne county. It has a building of its own
and a well equipped office. The Enterprise Building is now almost a land-mark in the
town of Marion. In 1881 the telephone line was built to Marion, chiefly by the ef-
forts of Edward Curtis, and tne telephone office opened in the Enterprise Building
continues under his management.

Croncher, William, born in England (Sussex) February 14, 1830, is a son of Isaac
and Mildred Croncher, natives of England, who came to America in 1845, and to
Marion in 1869, where Mr. Croncher died, June 19, 1881, and his wife January 15,
1878. William followed farming and threshing about forty- five years. He has dealt
quite largely in real estate, but now owns only fifty acres. He bought the Marion
mills in 1884, and has put in the full roller process. He has been a very industrious
man, and by example has educated all his children, except Edward and Fannie, to be
farmers and threshers. October 1, 1853, he married Clara Willie, born June 11, 1827,
a native of England, by whom lie had the following children : Fannie M., born July 15,
185S, who married Albert Smith, by whom she has one child, Jessie; George W.,
manufacturer of cigars at Newark, born August 4, 1860, who married Rose Potter, and
has one child, Altus; Elias D., born July 2, 1S62, traveling for fertilizing company,
who married Annie Eddie, and they have one child, Olive ; Edward W., born April 12,
1865, who learned the millers' trade, and for seven years has been proprietor of Marion
Roller Mills. He is also engaged in the manufacture of amber cane syrup and pepper-
mint oil. He married May, daughter of Abram Garlock ; Ira N., born May 1, 1865,



FAMILY SKETCHES. 39

who has been a traveling salesman, but is now assisting his brother in the mill. Mr
Croncher has a reputation for uprightness and integrity, and has given all his children
academical educations.

Clarke, Sylvester H., was born in Clyde, November 5, 1820. His father, Sylvester
Clarke, was a native of Northampton, Mass., and came to Clyde in the spring of 1817,
where he commenced business as a merchant. The family were from the early settlers
of Massachusetts, and can trace their descent back to the Pilgrim fathers that landed on
Plymouth Rock in December, 1620. Sylvester Clarke, the father, died May 27. 1876,
aged eighty years. The subject of this sketch was partially educated at William
Kirkland',- Boarding School in Geneva, after leaving which he continued his studies at
the Clyde High School, then a new institution, under the able supervision of William
H. Scram as principal and Josiah N. Westcott assistant. At the age of twenty-two
years he became the member of a mercantile establishment in Clyde, under the firm
name Halstead & Clarke, which continued in existence up to 1848. He married. Octo-
ber 17, 1843, Lucy, eldest daughter of Mrs. Sarah Preston, of Geneva, by whom he
had three daughters, all of whom died in infancy. In 1855, while residing at South-
ampton, Mass., he became the private secretary of Hon. Samuel C. Pomeroy, business
agent of the New England Emigrant Aid Company, but since then a United States
senator from the State of Kansas, and removed to Kansas City, Mo., where, through
their office, the towns of Lawrence, Ossawatomie and Topeka, in Kansas territory, were
settled. In 1857 returning to Clyde (the anti-slavery excitement among the settlers of
Kansas, compelling him to do so), he entered the employ of Miller, Rowell & Co., as a
bookkeeper at the Clyde window glass manufactory, after which he held an official
position of fourteen years, under eight collectors, in the New York Custom House,
receiving his appointment from Hon. Hiram Barney, the first collector of the Port of
New York, after Lincoln's election as president. In April, 1875, he returned to Clyde,
and after the death of his father, took possession of a small farm, which has now been
in the Clarke family over seventy-five years. He is at present the regular correspond-
ent of several city dailies, and occasionally writes for magazines, likewise takes an
active interest in Odd Fellowship, the Grange and other society organizations.

Crafts, Alfred P., M.D., was born in 1828, at Cherry Yalley, Otsego county. He was
graduated from Union College, class of '51, and graduating in 1853 from Buffalo Medi-
cal College, he practiced in Sodus and Huron until the exigencies of the war called for
his professional services, and where he was for three years an active assistant surgeon,
in Alexandria and Washington. At the close of the war he located in Wolcott, where
a large medical practice engrossed his attention until his election to the State Legisla-
ture in November, 1879. Dr. Crafts died at Wolcott, December 18, 1880. His widow
whom he married June 9 ; 1853, is a daughter of the late Dr. Levi Gaylord, of Sodus.

Carr, Robert S., M.D., was born in Seneca, Ontario county, N. Y., June 22, 1856,
and is the son of Stephen and Margaret McGregor Carr, he a native of England, and
she of Scotland, who came to Canandaigua in 1851. Mr. Carr was a farmer by occupa-
tion, and died in 1863 in Michigan, where he had resided five years. His wife resides
in East Bloomfield, Ontario county, N. Y. The subject of this sketch was educated in
the common schools and Canandaigua Academy, and Cornell University. He then
studied medicine with Dr. S. R. Wheeler at East Bloomfield one year, and entered the
medicical department of the University of Buffalo, from which he gratuated in 1889.
He went to Pultneyville the same year and practiced until 1893, when he came to
Williamson, where he has since had a successful practice. He is health officer of
Williamson. He is a member of I. 0. 0. F., Acme Lodge, No. 469, Newburg, N. Y.,
and of K. O. T. M., of Williamson. In 1892 Dr. Carr married Anna L. Nye, of Will-'
iamson, daughter of Benona and Lavina Nye.

Corning, Col. Joseph W., was born in Yarmouth, N, S., in 1814, and removed to
Rochester with his parents in 1823. In 1834 he was elected captain of a military com-



lu LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.

pany in Waterloo. In 1841 he was appointed postmaster of Ontario, Wayne county,
by President William Henry Harrison, serving four years. In 1847 he removed to
Palmyra. After spending three years in California, he returned to Palmyra, where he
studied law, being admitted to the bar in 1855. He also held the offices of justice of
the peace, police magistrate, mayor of Palmyra, and other positions of trust. In 1860
he was elected to represent his district in the State Assembly. Immediately upon ad-
journment he returned to his home and organized a company for the war. His pro-
motion was rapid, and when the famous 33d Regiment was mustered out in 1863, he
was the lieutenant-colonel. He was with his regiment in all its engagements. In the
battle of Williamsburg, Col. Coming's brilliant charge saved the day. He then joined
the 111th Regiment, with which he served a year, when Governor Fenton requested
his return home to organize another regiment. He was commissioned a colonel of the
194th, the last regiment organized in this State. Shortly after Benjamin Harrison was
inaugurated president, Col. Coining received the appointment of postmaster at Pal-
myra, which position he held at his death, June 29, 1890, when bis widow, Louisa U.
Corning, was appointed by the president to succeed him.

Corning, John W., was born in Ontario, this county, September 8, 1841, and moved
to Palmyra with his parents at the age of six, and received his education in the Palmyra
Union School. He had commenced his third year as teacher in the Palmyra Union
School, when the war broke out, when he resigned and enlisted in Company B, 33d
N. Y. Volunteers, and left for the front Jul}' 6, 1861. In November, 1861, he was
commissioned second lieutenant of said company, and in May, 1862, promoted to first
lieutenant. In November, 1862, he was made adjutant of the 33d, which position he
held when mustered out with the regiment June 2, 1863, on account of expiration of
term of service. He was with his company and regiment in all their engagements in
the Peninsular campaign. He was the only officer with his company during McClel-
lan's seven days' retreat to Harrison's Landing. Upon reaching the James River, Sec-
retary of War Stanton ordered him to New York State to recruit men for his depleted
company, in which he was met with a hearty response. During the winter of 1862 he
was adjutant-general of his brigade, and went with the brigade to Fredericksburg
under Gen. Burnside, where the Army of the Potomac, being stuck in the mud, was
obliged to return to White Oak Church and go in winter quarters. On Sunday morn-
ing, May 3, 1863, the order came to charge up the heights of Fredericksburg. He and
his father (who was in command of the 33d) went up, mounted, and upon gaining the
heights, his father's horse was shot from under him. The two days' fighting, May 3
and 4, Company B lost more men than they had in the entire two years' service. After
being mustered out, he was connected with the pay department in paying troops in the
Army of the Potomac. November 9, 1864, he married Katharine Drake, daughter of
the late Nelson Drake, and has two daughters, Delia M. and Grace J. Mr. Corning
was appointed collector of canal tolls at Palmyra for two successive years, and was in
mercantile business for ten years. In January, 1877", he was elected sergeant-at-arms,
New York State Senate, to which position he was elected four times, serving eight
years. In 1882, after passing civil service examination, he was appointed examiner in
the United States appraiser's department, New York, which position he held for five
years. In 1888 the secretary of the United States treasuary appointed him deputy
surveyor, Port of New York, which position he still holds.

Cheetham, Richard N., was born in London, England, October i6, 1846, and is the
son of John and Mary Cheetham, of England, who came to Sodus in 1852, where they
now reside. Mr. Cheetham enlisted in Company E, 98th N. Y. Volunteer Infantry and
served a year and a half and re-enlisted in Company K, 97th N. Y. Volunteer Infantry,
and served two years. Our sobjecl was reared on a farm, educated in the common
schools and then learned the carpenter trade and followed it for eleven years, in
Williamson. He had worked at carriage making two years previously. In 1881 he and



FAMILY SKETCHES. 41

his brother. George F., bought out Alfred Bakeley's hardware business and have since
conducted it under the firm name of R. M. Cheetham & Co. They also engaged in
the banking business in 1893 and have had a successful year. Mr. Cheetham and wife
are members of the Methodist Church In 1871 Mr. Cheetham married Eliza E. Smith,
of Williamson, daughter of Robert Smith, one of the earliest settlers of the town,
who died in 1893.

Crandall, F. G-., editor and proprietor of The Wayne County Dispatch, born at Pal-
myra, July 17, 1863, was educated in the common and high schools of that town ; and
learned the printer's trade in the office of The Wayne County Journal. He conducted
a job printing office during 1882-83 for F. W. demons, and then established one for
himself January 16, 1885. September 21, 1892, The Dispatch was founded by Mr.
Crandall, as proprietor, and A. F. Du Bois as editor. The publication is an eight-column
folio, Republican in politics ; is the only newspaper in the county setting all of its own
matter, and, among other prominent features, makes a specialty of county correspond-
ence, devoting each week about five columns to this class of news. February 14, 1892,
Mr. Crandall married Miss Mary Bearss, of Rochester. He is a member of Zenobia
Commandery No. 41, K. T. ; Phil Sheridan Lodge No. 430, I. 0. 0. F. ; Palmyra Tent No.
118, K. 0. T. M. ; Ganargua Tribe No. 143, I. 0. R. M. ; and Palmyra Steamer and Hose
Company No. 1. Mr. Du Bois was born at Fairville, N. Y., March 25, 1872, where the first
four years of his life were spent. His father then dying, the family, consisting of a mother
and four children, removed to Huntsburgh, 0., afterwards locating at Newark, N. Y.,
where the subject of this sketeh was educated in the Union School and Academy. After
learning the printing business in the office of the Newark Union, he, in July, 1891,
assumed the associate editorship of the Palmyra Democrat. Resigning this position he
became editor of The Dispatch at its inception, retaining the position two years. In
September, 1893, Mr. Dubois began a two years' journalistic course of study in the
University of Rochester.

Chapin, Joseph R., was born in Huron in 1846, and is the son of Harlow Chapin, of
Huron, born in 1822, whose father was Spencer Chapin, a farmer and native of Massa-
chusetts, the son of Phineas Chapin, of the same place, who came to Huron in 1811
with his family and was killed by the fall of a tree the same year. The wife of Harlow
Chapin was Fannie Reed, and their children were Spencer E., Joseph R., Charles E.,
Frank H., Ella L., wife of Rev. Mather Gafney, of Manlius, N. Y., Edgar W. Harlow,
and Fanny. When twenty-one our subject began farming and from 1874 to 1878 he was
interested in a stave and barrel factory. He makes berries his special crop at present.
In 1868 he married Fanny J., daughter of Lorenzo and Almira Cady, of Huron, who
was born in 1846, and their children are Mattie E., born February, 1873; May A.,
born May, 1876; Joseph C, born in May, 1878; Grace C, born in December, 1879;
Stephen L., born in May, 1882, and Harvy S., born in August, 1884. Our subject
served as town clerk three terms, and as highway commissioner one term. In 1879 he
purchased the farm of seventy- one acres, on which he now resides.

Creque, Hermon C, is decended from one of the oldest and most distinguished of la
noblesse families of France. Baudoin de Crequy was knighted in 1190, and the family
record of meritorious services rendered through subsequent centuries to civilization, the
state, and the church, are preserved by France as a national trust and honor. The
family has furnished two eminent " Marshals of France," one " Constable of France,'' one
" Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church," one "Archbishop of Paris," and many less
important state and church dignitaries. Hermon C. is a direct descendent of Francois
de Blanchefort Crequy, marshal of France, who commanded the army of France when
it defeated the Duke of Lorraine and added the provinces of Lorraine and Alsace to
the domain of France. He was the "Bismarck" of his time and country, the intimate
friend of Louis XV., whose private chaplain conducted his obsequies in 1687. His por-
f



42 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.

trait is numbered 1419 in"Des Galleries Historiques de Versailles," France. John
Creque, the father of Htrmon 0., was one of the largest pioneer manufacturers of Cen-
tral New York, and at his extensive agricultural and machine shops in Trumansburg,
Tompkins county, N. Y., were made great numbers of threshing machines, plows, por-
table horse powers, corn shellers, horse rakes, harrows, kitchen and parlor stoves, etc.,
etc., and as a dealer he early bought and introduced into Tompkins county the various
makes of leapers, mowers, grain drills, etc., etc. He was an acknowledged power for
good in social, religious, political and business life. Hermon C. was born at Trumans-
burg, Tompkins county, N. Y., in 1816. In 1838 he married Mabel, daughter of Allen
Pease, thus keeping up the practice which had been followed for centuries by members
these two noblesse families of intimate social relations and frequent intermarriage.
He began his business career as a manufacturer of carriages, and was very successful.
In 1852 he purchased over a hundred acres of choice land near Wolcott village, Wayne
county, N. Y., and removed there. He was the principal organizer of the first Temper-
ance society formed in Wolcott village. He was a liberal contributor to the erection of
Leavenworth Academy in Wolcott village and subsequently liberally patronized and
helped to sustain it. He purchased and used upon his farm the first grain drill and also
the first mower and reaper employed in eastern Wayne county, and by becoming an
agent for their sale he introduced the use of a number of said implements into Wolcott
and adjoining townships. He built and resided in the first large '"pine house " erected
in Wayne county, bringing the pine lumber from Tompkins county, N. Y., by lake and