canal to Clyde, N. Y., and trucking it thence to Wolcott. He erected a brick store
building on Main street, Wolcott village, which is still used for business purposes ; also
the " Opera House Block " on Main street, which he still owns. He has been a Repub-
lican since the organization of that political party and in religion professes the Protest-
ant faith as expounded by the Presbyterian Church. He has a family of eight children
living, one of whom has been the largest manufacturer in his line in this conntry and is
acknowledged to be the foremost sanitary plumbing engineer in the civilized world.
His lectures before eminent scientific and prominent industrial art associations are con-
sidered authoritative upon their respective subjects. Hermon C. has conclusively proved
in many ways that he is not a degenerate son of noble sires, but beside his own useful
life he has evidently transmitted to posterity the unblemished family character, aspira-
tions, talents, and persistent energy inherited from his forefathers and which are des-
tined to maintain the excellent record already richly merited.
Dunham, Henry, is the son of John and Sally (Ketchum) Dunham. The former was
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
born in Fabius, Onondaga county, October 21, 1791, and the latter in Manlius, Sep-
tember 22, 1793, and came to Savannah in 1833, occupying what is now the home of
our subject. Of their seven children, six are living: Henry, Melinda. Betsey, Mary O,
Jerry and Erastus, one son, J. Harvey, having died some years ago. The three daugh-
ters are married and live in Michigan, being all residents of Kent county in that State.
Henry's boyhood was spent in Camillus, Onondaga county. He wa« born October 3,
1820, and married February 7, 1847, Laura A., daughter of Seth Wood, of Savannah.
She had no children, and died May 3, 1882, an earnest Christain, a loving and devoted
wife, her loss is yet felt and mourned. Erastus Dunham has spent his whole life at
this home, where he was born in 1838. He remains a bachelor, is a man of much
ability and force of character, but for more than twenty years has been an invalid,
crippled by a spinal complaint. February 4, 1883, Henry again married. His present
wife is Mary E., daughter of Abram O'Neil, of Fairport, N. Y. She has no children.
Mr. Dunham's farm contains 175 acres of excellent land, situated five miles northeast
of Savannah. His specialty has been the breeding of Merino sheep, in which his suc-
cesss has been marked.
Dunham, Mrs. Laura Ann, was born in Steuben county June 23, 1826, and was the
daughter of Seth Wood, of Savannah, where she resided until her death, May 3, 1882.
FAMILY SKETCHES. 43
She was married to Henry Dunham February 7, 1847, and lived an exemplary Chris-
tian life. She was a consistent member of the Methodist Protestant church and deeply
devoted to the cause of the Master. She was enshrined in the hearts of those who
knew her best, and had their respect and confidence. She was that earnest in her
work of faith that the power of God was demonstrated to the peoople while she was in
travail of soul for the salvation of sinners. When burdened for souls she would wrestle
for hours with God until victory turned on Israel's side, and the joy and peace that fol-
lowed was unspeakable and full of glory. As she lived so she died, in the triumphs of
a living: faith.
De Lamater. George C, was born in Columbia county, N. Y., in 1828, the fourth
born of the eight children of Stephen V. R. and Esther De Lamater. Stephen settled
on a farm in Butler in 1829, and ten years later moved to Wolcott, where he died in
1889, aged eighty-eight years. For twenty years George De Lamater operated a grain
threshing outfit, besides farming and fruit growing. In 1858 he purchased of Andrew
Preston the saw mill at North Wolcott, which he still runs. He has been excise com-
missioner, also of highways. His wife, who died in 1890, had been his companion for
over thirty years, and was Mary J. Robinson, of Huron. He still lives a single life.
Dehond, Abram F., was born in Williamson, May 3, 1864, and is the son of Abra-
ham and Jeanette Dehond, natives of Holland, who came to Rochester in 1854, and to
Williamson in 1857, where they now reside. Mr. Dehond is a farmer and raises fruit.
Our subject was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools. He worked
for O. J. Tassell as clerk for one year, and then for 0. J. & F. W. Tassell for two years,
and then clerked for Tassell & Gordon until 1887, when he worked for a year and a
half for F. H. Gordon, and then formed a partnership with him, which has continued
for six years. He is a member of the Pultneyville Lodge, No. 159, F. & A. M.
August 30, 18S8. he married Anna Adams, a native of Williamson, and daughter of
Dickie, James, was born in Connecticut. February 14, 1830. His father, John Dickie
who came to Constantia, Oswego county, in 1836, was a native of Scotland, and emi-
grated to this country in 1827. He spent the larger portion of his life in Constantia,
Oswego county, where he died in 1856 at the age of seventy-five years. James Dickie
selected farming for an occupation and followed it up to 1874, and then came to Clyde
and established himself in business. He carries a selected line of imported and domes-
tic groceries. At the age of thirty Mr. Dickie married Miss Sybil Daffler, of Constantia.
Mrs. Dickie died in 1890 at fifty-eight years of age. She was a woman who was widely
known for her Christian character and beautiful life.
Down, George A., was born in Webster, Monroe county, August 30, 1847, the fourth
child of eight children born to John and Lavina Down, the former a native of Eng-
land, and the latter of New Hampshire. He came to Monroe county when a young
man and started for himself, then came to Ontario and spent most of his life in that
town. He now resides at Marion with his son, Edwin O., at the age of eighty, and his
wife at the same age. Our subject was reared on a farm and educated in the common
schools. He was in the furnace business from 1872 to 1877, when he sold, and April 3,
1879, came on the farm he now owns of seventy-eight acres, and follows general farm-
ing. He was a Democrat, but at present is a Republican. He has been school trustee
two years, and is a member of Webster Lodge No. 538, F. & A. M. He married in
1S80 Cornelia M. Stearns, a native of Webster, by whom he has one child, George M.
Mr. Down has been junior deacon, senior master of ceremonies, and junior warden.
Donk, August, was born in Mecklenburg, Germany, January 20, 1843. His father
came to the United States in 1851. Mr. Donk came with his mother the following
year when nine years old. They first located in Sodus one year, then went to Pal-
44 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
myra, where they remained ten years. In 1862 the family came to Newark. Mr.
Donk was educated at East Palmyra, and has been in the employ of the N. Y. C. & H.
R. R. company since the close of the war, first as baggage man, and afterward had
charge of the pumping engine at the depot. In February, 1872, he was appointed
station agent, which position he still fills. July 12, 1862, he enlisted in Company A,
111th Infantry N. Y. S. Volunteers, was captured at Harper's Ferry under General
Miles, duly paroled and exchanged. He was in the battle of Gettysburg and the
Wilderness. While on the way to Cold Harbor was taken prisoner, was in Anderson
prison, Georgia, four months and a half, in Florence, South Carolina, three months, and
was a mere skeleton upon his arrival home. He was honorably discharged at the close
of the war in June, 1865. He has married twice, first in 1867 to Jane Morrison, of
Brighton, Canada, and they had one son, William, who died at the age of ten. Mrs.
Donk died in January, 1875, and he married second April 27, 1877, MattieE. Toussaint,
who was born in Oswego. They have three children : Elizabeth A.. James and
Madahne. Mr. Donk's father, Carl, was born in Germany in 1802. He married Hannah
Eickhoff. of his native place, and they had nine children. Mrs. Donk's father, Oliver
Toussaint, was born on Wells Island, Orleans, Jefferson ccunty, in 1829. He married
Elizabeth Ashton, of Oswego, and they had three children, Frederick, Mattie E., and
Elner. He died in 1867 and his wife in 1874. Mrs Donk has been in the employ of
the N. Y. C. & H. R. R. company twenty- one years as ticket agent. Mr. Carl Donk
died in 1873 and his wife in 1892. Mr. Donk is a member of Newark Lodge No. 83,
F. and A. M., and of Yosburg Post No. 99, G. A. R., department of New York. Mrs.
Donk is a member of the Women's Relief Corps.
Demmon, John Watkins, was born in 1833. His father was Horace Demmon, born in
Springfield, Vt., in 1803, the son of Daniel Demmon, born in 1768. In 1817 they came
to Huron and settled on the farm owned by our subject. Daniel died in 1824, and his
son Horace conducted the farm for seventy-four years, dying in 1891. His wife was
Rachael M. Richardson, and their children were : Clarissa A., Hannah C, John W. and
Delia A. John W. was educated at Red Creek Academy and Falley Seminary, entered
the office of L. D. Lawton, in 1854, and in January, 1856, the Albany Law School at Al-
bany, N. Y., and emigrated the following Fall to Wisconsin ; represented for two years
the Milwaukee Mutual, and Wisconsin Home Fire Insuarnce companies of that State,
and the then territory of Minnesota; in December, 1858, represented the publishing
house of J. H. Cotton & Co., 172 William street, New York, in Georgia and South
Carolina; and the following year shipped horses to those States. In 1863 he married
Lucinda J. Smedley. daughter of Rev. Joseph and Mary Ann (Jones) Smedley, of Os-
wego county, who was born in 1838, and by whom he had two children : Lena E., born
1865, and Horace Gary, born 1869. Mr. Demmon and wife are members of the Wol-
cott Grange, P. of H. No. 348, also a member of Rose Lodge No. 590, F. and A. M.,
and Ontario Shore No. 495, I. 0. 0. F. In 1877, under the auspices of the W. C. T. U.,
occupied thep'atform for the gospel temperance work in the States of New York, Penn-
sylvania, Wisconsin, and Iowa, and was grand lecturer of the Royal Templars of Tem-
perance in 1880-1-2. He was for a part of a season on the platform with Col. A. S.
Wood, of Wolcott.
David, William Glenn (deceased), was born in Amherst, N. H., June 12, 1831, was
fitted for college at Phillips Academy, entering Williams College in 1848, and graduated
in 1852. Selecting the profession of medicine, he graduated from Harvard Medical Col-
ge in 1854, and then removed to Dubuque, la. In October, 1855, he married Sarah M.,
daughter of Newell Taf t, of Lyons, and they are the parents of four sons, three of whom
are now living: William G. and John, of New York, and Edward T., of Glenrock,
Wyoming. In 1859 he removed to Lyons from Dubuque and entered into partnership
witn Dr. E. W. Bothume. In 1861 he entered the United States army, receiving the
commission of surgeon to the 98th Regiment, U. S. Volunteers, and took part in the
FAMILY SKETCHES. 45
campaign in Virginia, the battle of the Wilderness, Richmond, White Oak Swamp, and
numerous other engagements. He was promoted to brigade surgeon at the capture of
Port Hudson, and afterwards was post surgeon at that place. Returning to Lyons in
1865, at the close of the war, he resumed the practice of his profession. In 1867 he was
appointed examining surgeon in the United States pension cases, holding this position
at the time of his death, August 17, 1877.
Dutcher, John, one of the oldest residents of Red Creek, came to this vicinity in 1830,
He was born at Lysander, Onondaga county, in 1819. He is the son of Daniel Dutcher.
who, in 1830, bought 270 acres of land, and with the assistance of his two sons, John
and Daniel W., grappled with the primeval forest and reclaimed over 100 acres of ara-
ble land, meantime rearing a family of nine children. Mr. Dutcher now owns and oc-
cupies 120 acres of the original tract.
Davis, Barnet H., was born in Fonda, Montgomery county, January 27, 1836. He is
a member of the firm of B. H. Davis & Co., dealers in drugs and groceries, having occu-
pied his present location for the past thirty years. He is now a member of the State
Committee, and occupied a seat in the Legislature during the years 1886-87-88. In
1860 Mr. Davis married Alida Agnes Van Edena, a native of Spraker's Basin, and they
have one daughter.
Davis, Rev. Daniel D., of Savannah, was born in Butler, August 24, 1824. Paul H.
Davis, born in Rhode Island in 1791, and Polina Westcott, his wife, born in Richfield,
Otsego county, in 1798 (the parents of Daniel D.), moved to Butler, Wayne countv,
N. Y., about the year 1815, and in the wilderness purchased a farm, upon which they
erected a log house and commenced life, consequently were among the first settlers in
Wayne county, N. Y. To this heroic couple were born six children, who grew to
man and womanhood, namely : William V., Lucy A., Oliver O, Daniel D., Jerome B.,
and John Wesley Davis. Grappling with the realities of frontier life, these parents
were only able to give their children little more than a district school education. Reli-
giously the parents were Episcopal Methodists, and, sooner or later, the children were
all converted and became members of the church of their honored parents. The father
died in 1845, and the mother in 1846. November 10, 1845, Daniel D. Davis married
Laura Henderson, of Butler, an estimable Christian lady. To them were born two
daughters: Pauline S., born July 10, 1847, who married Rev. C. L. Connell, of James-
ville, Onondaga county, N. Y., Pauline S. died at Rosevalley, July 25, 1878; Carrie,
V. Davis, born October 4, 1855, married in 1881 John Mojg, of Euclid, Onondaga
county, N. Y., who now resides in Englewood, 111. Daniel D. Davis followed farming
until 1861, when at the call of the master, he left all (like the fisherman of Gallilee) to
preach the Gospel, and for thirty-one consecutive years has been an honored member
of the Central New York Conference (Methodist Episcopal Church). In 1892 Mrs.
Davis's health partially failed, and Mr. Davis took a supernumerary edition to the Con-
ference, and for the past two years has engaged in Evangelistic woik, for which he
evinces decided talents.
Deuchler, Louis, was born in Alsace, Germany, August 25, 1834, came to the United
States in 1852, and settled in Syracuse. In 1856 he removed to Lyons, in 1861 estab-
lished the grocery business on Water street, and in 1863 sold out and went to New
York, remaining for two years. In 1865 he returned to Lyons and bought the National
Hotel, continuing the business up to 1885, then engaged in the insurance business,
making a specialty of fire insurance and is agent for several lines of foreign steamships.
In 1887 he was elected justice of the peace and in 1891 was re-elected to the same
office, which he now hold«. In 1888-89 was elected trustee of the village. At the age
of twenty-four he married Magdalena, daughter of George Seligman, of Lyons, and
they are the parents of one daughter, Mrs. Bertha Klippel. Our subject takes an
40 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
active interest in educational and religious matters, having been trustee in the First
German church for eight years.
Daboll, Homer, was born in Canaan, Litchfield county, Corn., July 18, 1827. His
father, Jonathan Daboll, was a native of Windsor, Conn., and in 1810 made his home
in Canaan, where Homer, the youngest of five children, had such advantages as private
and common schools afforded until at the age (f sixteen, when his parents moved to
Center Groton, Conn., where he received instruction in surveying and navigation at
the celebrated Nautical School of that place, then under the supe vision of Nathan
Daboll and his son, David A., authors of Daboll's Arithmetic and other mathematical
works. Professor Potter, of Mystic. Conn., was his next instructor, after which he
engaged for a number of years in teaching. In 1853 he married Jane R. Shear, of
Junius, N. Y., and as a farmer settled near Cayuga village, where they resided four-
teen years. Here their children were born, De Lancey, who died in 1873 ; Phoebe,
now Mrs. A. D. Bacon, of Rochester- Homer F., now manager of the farm, and
Sheridan, of Rochester. In 1867 he purchased the farm of 150 acres on which he
lives and where to date he has enjoyed the friendship of a numerous acquaintance.
De Zutter, Cornelius, was born in Holland, May 16, 1841, son of Edward and Susan
(Van Dixon) De Zutter, natives of Holland, where Mr. De Zutter died in 1847, and his
wife and two children, Cornelius and Leonard, came to Sullivan county in 1848. Mrs.
De Zutter married Conner Devoe, came to Williamson in 1853 and resided here until
her death in August, 1888. Mr. Devoe died June, 1891. The great-grandfather of
our subject, Cornelius, was a native of France, and grandfather was a native of
Holland, and died there in 1848. Our subject was reared on a farm until fourteen
years of age, when he went to Rochester and engaged as clerk for John Vandenburg
in a fancy store, where he remained three years, and worked one year in a cotton
factory. There he and his brother became partners in the manufacture of willow
ware. In the spring of 1866 they returned to Williamson and continned in the
willow ware business until 1871, when it was destroyed by fire, without any insurance.
They again commenced in business, but after one year was dissolved. In 1872 our
subject engaged in buying and selling produce, and continued in business until 1876,
when he was employed by H. J. Mdler and Sprague, and in 1877, with Mr. Gordon,
established a general store, the firm being known as De Zutter & Gordon, and in 1891
our subject, Cornelius, retired, when the firm became De Zutter Bros. & Engleson.
They also have a clothing store on the opposite side of the street in what is known as
the Rogers block. Mr. De Zutter is a member of the Pultneyville Lodge, No. 159, F.
and A. M., also a member of A. 0. U. W. Mr. De Zutter married, December 29, 1864,
Larinia Decker, of Rochester, a daughter of Abram Decker, a native of Holland, who
in 1850 came to Williamson. He died in Rochester in 1877, and his wife in 1875.
Our subject and wife had five children : Edward A. and Charles (now members of the
firm); Jennie E., who died aged twenty-two years; Ida M., who assists in her father's
store ; and Delia, who lives at home. Our subject and family are members of the
Presbyterian church, and Mr. De Zutter has been a Republican since the organization
of the party and an active worker in the party for the past twenty-five years.
Leonard De Zutter was born in Holland, February 2, 1844, and came to Sullivan
county with his mother and brother when three years of age; he came to Williamson
in 1853. He and brother, Cornelius, engaged in the manufacture of willow and rattan
ware, and were in partnership in 1872, when they dissolved. He engaged in mercantile
business in 1877. He is a member of A. O. U. W. and Select Knights. Mr. De
Zutter married in 1867 Susan Van Zandt, a native of Holland, and a daughter of
Peter and Lucinda Van Zandt. They had four children : Lucy S., wife of Carl Fuller,
of Wallington; Edward L., who died, aged twenty-two; Peter, who is employed in a
clothing store, and Lizzie, who died, aged eighteen months.
FAMILY SKETCHES. 47
Denison, Porter G. (deceased), was born at North Stephentown, Rensselaer county,
February 19, 1825. His father, George T., was a native of Stonington, Conn. The
family are lineal descendants of the titled families of English and Scotch extraction.
In 1840 he removed to North Berlin and in 1850 came to Clyde and engaged in the
mercantile business, which he continued up to the time of his death, March 21, 1890.
September 30, 1852, he married Mary B., daughter of James H. Nichols, who' was a
native of Bainbridge, Chenango county, and they had three children;' Carrie A.,
Porter G., and Charles E. Our subject was one of the leading men of his town, identi-
fied in every public enterprise, benevolent and charitable.
Denney, Loren, was born in Onondaga county September 24, 1835, the second child
of a family of four children born to John and Almira Denney, natives of Dutchess
county. They came to Wayne county in 1843 and settled in Williamson. The father
died in Ontario in 1875, where the mother now resides, aged seventv-nine years. Our
subject was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools. He has always
been a farmer, owns forty acres of land, and follows general farming and fruit raising.
He enlisted in 1862 in Company B, 9th Heavy Artillery, participated in the battles of
Cold Harbor, Winchester, Cedar Creek, and served until the close of the war. He mar-
ried, December 31, 1861, Mary Sanders, a native of Williamson, and daughter of Joseph
and Thursey (Stowell) Sanders, he a native of Nova Scotia, and she a native of Oneida
county. They came to town when young, where he died January 1, 1883, and she
March 11, 1893. Our subject and wife have had two children : Nora A., wife of Fred.
Smouton, and has one child ; Merton E., at home. Mr. Denney is a Republican, is a
member of the A. 0. U. W., Ontario Lodge, and G. A. R., Myron M. Fish Post No. 406
and Ontario Grange.
Devereaux, Albert F., was born in Rensselaer county October 29, 1832. His great-
grandfather was a soldier in the Revolution, coming to America with La Fayette's
French troops, and soon after the close of the war settled on the Van Rensselaer " Pat-
ent." The son, and then the grandson, Stephen Devereaux (father of Albert F.), oc-
cupied the same lands, in succession, improving the land, but being subject to annually
paying the rents, which though not excessive were generally considered illegal, giving
rise to very much bitter feeling, culminating in the anti-rent war, in which the Dever-
eauxs and relatives were divided, some donning the Indian suits of the anti-renters and
others supporting the continuance of the patroon estates. The childhood and youth
of Albert F. was spent in this somewhat fettered and unsatisfactory farming, a phase
of monopoly. But in 1839 Stephen Devereaux moved to Wayne county, south of
Clyde, with his family, a wife and nine children, of whom the subject of this sketch
was the eldest. The Reuben Smith farm, now owned by M. B. Syron, adjoining Al-
bert F.'s present farm, was purchased. At the age of twenty-one "Albert F. went to
Michigan to make his fortune, having received a common school education and assisted
his father faithfully during the years of minority. With $60.12, his total capital, he
went to Battle Creek, Mich., and there engaged in work in building the Michigan Cen-
tral Railroad, afterwards taking up wild land near Grand Rapids and immediately after
another lot of land, partly improved and containing a cranberry marsh in Oakland
county. This he sold to his father, inducing all the family to move to Michigan. In
looking up and locating land Albert F. traversed much of the then wilds of central
Michigan afoot and by boat, and was on the grounds of Lansing, Ionia, Marshall,
Owasso, and other cities when they were merely straggling settlements. After a time
he embarked in buying Michigan cranberries and shipping to Albany, N. Y. Then re-
maining in the vicinity of Albany a short time he came to Galen in 1850 and married
Mary E., daughter of Stephen Hull. They have two sons, Willard L. and Stephen H.
In 1862 he bought the Stephen Hull property of 108 acres. In 1880 he bought the ad-
joining property of 100 acres of Jeremiah Mead, and in 1885 fifty acres of woodland in
lot 74 along Clyde river. In 1852 he was the foremost of three planters in Galen, per-
is LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
haps the first in Wayne county to engage in tobacco growing. This he continued in
for thirteen years. So little was known about the " weed " that one of the three, Mr.
Harvey Streeter, exhibited growing plants at the Galen Fair, receiving the first premium.
These very plants and the whole of his seeding that year proved to be nothing but
mullin plants. Albert F. was the earliest extensive planter of wine grapes and manu-
facturer of wines and brandy in New York State. Beginning in 1856, before the
Pleasant Valley, Hudson River and Chautauqua grape and wine districts were founded,
he began producing wines for medicinal and sacramental purposes, of warranted purity,
and has established a name continuing with his trade to this day for these goods, known
inmost of the States of the Union. He was the first grower and seller of Niagara
grapes in Wayne county. Mr. Devereaux is, withal, a devoted agriculturist, never for