even a year relinquishing his attachment to farming, always aiming to grow the finest
crops and ardently taking up the many and varied tasks of land improvement. His
home farm holds a large sum of costly farm land engineering in the removal of every
rock, stones and obstructions, the laying of miles of tile drainage, stone walls, and other
fencing. Large areas have been filled in and sharp knolls graded down, clay soils mixed
with sand and gravel and large cuttings made for the outlet of water into the river. A
number of handsome farm buildings have also been erected. Mr. Devereaux has been
a landmarker and has made his farm a landmark in the town. He was president of the
Galen Agricultural Society for three years. Mr. Devereaux was also one of the organ-
izers of the present Baptist Church, of Clyde, was elected trustee then and has been
re-elected at the expiration of each term until the present time.
Edgett, the late Ezra A., was born in Greene county, November 21. 1828. His
parents came to Oneida county when he was twelve years old, where he was educated
in the public and select schools. The family came to this county in March, 1865. Mr.
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
Edgett was an excellent business man. He was at the head of the company in con-
ducting the Wayne County Preserving Company. At his death his wife succeeded him
in the business in company with E. K. Burnham. December 16, 1856, he married
Harriet C. Marvin, of Camden, Oneida county, and they had four children : James C,
who was well educated, and was brought up in the business with his father. He mar-
ried Anna L. Wilcox, of Port Gibson, Ontario county, and they have one son, Oliver;
Edith M. married William R. Conover, and resides in Boston, they have one daughter,
Halla; Mary L. resides with her mother; and George, who died in infancy. Mr.
Edgett died January 30, 1889, mourned by a bereaved wife and children, and many
Eldridge, Lewis, was born in Penfield, Monroe couuty, in 1837, where he lived till the
age of twenty-five, then, in 1862, married Betsey A. Goodwin, of Penfield, a native of
England, born in 1840. who came to this country at about the age of twelve with her
parents, Eli and Mary, who located in Monroe county, and afterwards in Walworth,
where the mother died, and where the father still lives. Mr. Eldridge settled on a farm
in Penfield, purchased by his father in 1816. The grandfather of our subject, William
Eldridge, was with Washington as his aide-de-camp all during the Revolution. He was
born near Salem, N. Y., and died at Penfield. Erastus, the father of Lewis, was born
in Washington county, and died at Penfield in 1863. His wife was Anna (Watson)
Eldridge. a native of Maine, who also died at Penfield. Lewis resided on the home
farm about three years after his marriage. He resided in Marion four years also, then
located on the farm, where he now resides, in Palmyra. This place consists of 118
acres, and he also owns 101 acres near by. He married Betsey A. Goodwin, and their
children are : Charles A., and Carrie A. (twins), who now reside in Monroe county ;
Perinton, now Mrs. J. Crane, of Marion ; Fred D., of Palmyra ; Anna E., now Anna E.
Miller, of Marion; Smith E., who died in childhood; Edward E. ; Arthur L. ; and
FAMILY SKETCHES. 49
Edgerton, W. W., supervisor of Palmyra, is a native of Saratoga county, N. Y., born
December 13, 1819. In 1829 he came to this town, where he lived with his uncle,
Oliver Durfee, until the age of twenty-three, when he married and lived in the town of
Marion on a farm for two years. This he sold, and then resided in Orleans county for
four years, and then in the town of Ontario, Wayne county. From 1854 to 1884 he
lived in Walworth, then came to his present residence, about three-quarters of a mile
north of the village of Palmyra. He also owns a farm of 105 acres in Williamson. Mr.
Edgerton has served Walworth five terms as supervisor, Palmyra three years as assessor,
and as supervisor two terms. In 1842 he married Louisa Pratt, who died in 1843. His
second marriage was with Calista Avery, of Palmyra, a daughter of Caleb and Abigail
(Cole) Avery, and their children are: Arrebell E., now Mrs. Rose, of New York city;
C. Avery, who graduated from the Cleveland Homoeopathic Medical College, practiced
in Churchville, near Rochester, four years, and died June 11, 1880. He was born
August 24, 1849, and married a daughter of Alfred Miller, by whom he had one child,
Melvm G., born August 30, 1859, now a physician of Canastota, also a graduate of the
Cleveland Homoeopathic Medical College. He married A. Nettie Blair, of Cleveland,
Ohio, who died May 10, 1883, and his second wife was Maude, youngest daughter of
Hon. Loring C. Fowler, of Canastota, N. Y.
Earley, James, is the son of Michael and Anne (Riley) Earley, of County Westmeath,
Ireland, where he was born May 24, 1837. In 1853 the ship Columbia landed him in
New York, without capital, save health, good habits, and energy. After ten years
spent in farm labor, chiefly in Onondaga county, he bought in 1863 a small farm in
Butler, having married, April 20, 1862, Alice, daughter of Patrick Kennedy, of Savan-
nah. He came to Savannah in 1866, and owns a farm of 136 acres. Their children
are : Michael, born in 1863, now a bookkeeper at Hoosick Falls, who married Olive
Worden, of that place ; Edward, born in 1864, who married Julie, daughter of John
Davis, of Savannah, who conducts a farm adjacent to that of his father ; and James,
born in 1866, a bookkeeper for the Wood Machine Company at St. Paul, Minn. They
have also a daughter by adoption, Agnes M. Keeley, of Red Creek, adopted in 1875 at
the age of three, and now the wife of George Delaney, of Seneca Falls. Mr. Earley en-
listed with the 15th New York Engineers in 1864, and served till the close of the war.
He is now a prime mover and leader in the cause of Prohibition.
Ennis, Charles (deceased), was born in Alloway, September 1, 1835. His grand-
father, William, came from New Jersey in 1806, and bought a tract of land in the
southern part of Lyons, known as the Squire Parks farm. His father, Robert Ennis,
was a prominent contractor, and in 1847 bought the Captain Towar residence and saw
mill. He died in 1860. Charles Ennis, the fourth son, was educated at Lima and
Hobart College, Geneva, and afterward removed to Minnesota, and in 1865 he with his
brothers founded the Commercial National Bank of Chicago, which at present is one of
the leading banks of Chicago, and of which he was cashier. In 1867 he returned to
Lyons. At the age of twenty-nine he married Emma L., daughter of Deacon Newell
Taft, of Lyons, and they were the parents of three children: Charles T., Willard G.,
and Marian. Charles T. is now preparing for admission to the bar of Wayne county in
the office of J. W. Dunwell. He had many very large business interests in the West,
but his home was in Wayne county, retaining the relations and being in association with
the leading men of his county, and he ever sought to advance the west welfare of those,
with whom he came in contact. He died July 2, 1879, at the age of forty-three. He
took an active interest in educational and religious institutions, especially in the Presby-
terian church, of which he was a member.
Eaton, James E., was born in Sussex county, England, December 7, 1827. He was
the oldest of eight children born to Samuel and Hannah Eaton, natives of England, in
1854 came to America, and on his return to England he died. His wife died in Eng-
50 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
jand in 1853. James E. Eaton was reared on a farm, and in 1850 came to Ontario
and settled on the farm now owned by the family. Mr. Eaton had forty-five acres, on
which he made improvements and built new buildings. He married, May 8, 1851, in
Monroe county, Fannie Woodhams, a native of England, came to Ontario in 1850, and
here Mr. Woodhams died in 1878, and his wife in 1874. Mr. Eaton and wife had twelve
children: Sarah A., deceased; James T. ; Jacob, deceased; William; John W. ; Annie
M., deceased; Charles F., deceased; Emma J.; Nettie; Lillie B., deceased; Roland
D., deceased ; and Raymond. Mr. Eaton died November 24, 1889. Mr. and Mrs.
Eaton are members of the Wesleyan Methodist church.
Easton, Charles H., proprietor of the Empire Roller Mills of Wolcott, was born here in
1861, the son of Hezekiah Easton, a well-known citizen of Wolcott. He attended
school at the Red Creek Seminary, where he obtained a fair business education. When
twenty-one years of age he married Kate L. Clapper, daughter of John Clapper, of Red
Creek. In 1883 he purchased a farm of 75 acres, the old homestead, by being quite
successful in the raising of tobacco. In 1892 he purchased the Empire Roller Mills of
Wolcott, where he condncts a milling business both in custom and merchant milling.
Fntts, Aaron, was born in the town of Macedon, March 16, 1873. His father,
George Fritts, was a native of New York State, and was a farmer. He died in 1881,
but his wife is still living. Aaron Fritts is a young man of twenty-one years. He was
educated in the Macedon Academy, and since leaving school has been engaged in farm
work. He now owns a farm of 123 acres. In politics Mr. Fritts is an Independent.
Freeland, Charles D., was born in Seneca county, July 5, 1818. His father was a
native of New Jersey, and came to Seneca county in 1804, and died August 28, 1866, at
the age of seventy-six. Charles D. was educated in the common schools, and at the age
of thirty-one he married Eleanor Yan Demark, who passed away in 1879. He after-
ward married Lucy Mauthe, and they have one son, John P., and three daughters,
Mary B., Emma O, and Katie May. In 1866 he bought part of the Jonah Hopkins
estate, having sixty acres, and raising fruit, hay, grain, and stock.
Finch, David S., was born in the town of Dresden, February 24, 1819. His father,
Jeremiah S., came to the town of Rose in 1820, when the said town was nearly all a
wilderness. He first settled about two miles west of Rose Yalley, on the farm now
occupied by a Mr. Hicox, living there eight years, when he took up and cleared the
farm now owned by William Finch, where he resided until his death, which occurred in
1859, aged seventy-seven years. He was a well-known farmer and veterinary sur-
geon. David S. was educated in the common schools, and at the age of twenty-sever
married Matilda A., daughter of Jacob Brush, of Lebanon, Columbia county, by whom
he has six children : Nathaniel, Charles, William, Jeremiah, Ernest and Mrs. Phoebe J.
Howe. In 1869 he bought the Calvin H. Bliss property of 208 acres, raising fruit, hay,
grain and stock, having also a lot of about fifteen acres in the town of Rose, which he
devoted to vegetable growing. Our subject has been a member of the M. E. Church
for the past twenty-five years, and takes an active interest in all school and church
Fowler, M. S., was born at Brutus, January 26, 1851, is the only son of Willirm and
Mary (Wood) Fowler, of Butler. He was educated at Rochester Business University,
graduating in 1874, and is at present devoted to the management of the large farming
interests established by his father. He married, November 29, 1876, Lottie E. Wine-
gar, by whom he had three sons : George W., born January 9, 1881 ; Clarence M., born
January 16, 1886, and Burton P., born June 19, 1887. Mrs. Fowler is the elder daugh-
ter of the late Mansfield Winegar, who was a prominent figure in the social and busi-
ness affairs 'of the locality. At the time of his death, May 9, 1892, he was senior
partner of the firm of M. B. Winegar & Son, engaged in hardware trade at South
Butler. He was sixty years of age.
FAMILY SKETCHES. 51
Fewster, Charles, was born in Jefferson county, May 17, 1855, the son of Mather and
Mary Franks Fewster, natives of England, he born August 24, 1819, and she Decem-
ber 23, 1818. They came to Antwerp, Jefferson county, in 1851, and resided there
until 1859, and then went to Gouverneur, and remained until 1865, when they came to
Ontario, and settled on the farm now owned by the subject of this sketch, and here the
father died, August 26, 1893, and his wife died December 11, 1891. Our subject was
reared on a farm and remained at home, and since sixteen years of age he has had
charge of his father's business. He owns 104 acres of land, and is a general farmer.
He is now serving his second term as highway commissioner, and his first as excise
commissioner. In 1887 he married Hattie Truax, of Ontario, daughter of James and
Fedelia Traux, and they have two children : Ethel M., and Howard C.
Fellows, Frank L., was born in Lyons, August 2, 1863, was educated in the Lyons
Union School, and the Pennington Seminary, after which he taught four years ; also
read law at Cleveland with Judge Williams. At the age of twenty-six he married
Anna M., daughter of William H. Vandercook, of Eose, and they are the parents of
three children : William, Ethel, and Laura. Our subject is one of the largest farmers in
his town, having 300 acres, raising large quantities of mint, wheat, barely and stock.
He takes an active interest in educational and religious matters. The family came from
Hessie Darmstadt (Germany), and settled in Columbia county in 1750.
Fanning, Joel. Patrick and Melinda Fanning were farmers residing in the town of
Butler. They had two children, George and Joel, George being the older by two
years. Joel Fanning was born June 18, 1855. At the age of nine his father was
killed by the falling of a tree which he was chopping. Although he had a small farm
nearly paid for, his untimely death was a great blow to his family. The subject of this
sketch attended the district schools until he was sixteen years old ; then he attended
the South Butler Union School, Red Creek Academy, and the Leavenworth Institute
at Wolcott. By teaching school winters and going to school summers he fitted him-
self for college. In the year 1879 he entered Adrian College, Mich., where he re-
mained two years, after which he taught the South Butler Union School for two years
and the Rose Valley Union School one year. In the fall of 1884 he entered upon the
study of law, and was admitted to the bar April 1, 1887, and is at present practicing
his profession at Wolcott. At the age of twenty-one he allied himself with the Re-
Fuller, Erastus B., was born in Arcadia in 1843, son of John L. Fuller of Dutchess
county, who came to Wayne county in 1843 and settled where he now resides. Our
subject has devoted most of his life to farming, from 1874 to 1875 was in the produce
business, and in 1879 purchased twenty-six acres of land on the lake shore. His enter-
prising mind soon conceived the idea of transforming this property into a resort. He
put his ideas into practice, and the result has been the development of the magnificent
and popular Lake Bluff summer resort, the most sightly point on Great Sodus Bay.
He erected the Lake Bluff hotel, large and commodious, in connection with which he
conducts a grocery store, stables and post-office, Mr. Fuller being postmaster in 1894.
He married Emma L., daughter of Harvey and Lucinda (Clark) Sherman, of Marion,
born in 1843, and they have one child by adoption, Irvin S.
Field, A. S., was born in Clyde, July 27, 1815. His father, Daniel, came from the
town of Phelps to Clyde in 1810. A. S. was educated in the common schools, learned
the carpenter and joiner's trade in 1840, and established the well-known furniture
house of A. S. Field, in which he continued business for forty-two years, and is now
carried on by his son, W. N. Field. At the age of twenty-eight he married Rachael,
daughter of Gilbert Fisher, and they have had seven children, four of whom are now
living: Mrs. Charles T. Saxton, Mrs. J. W. Hinman, W. N. Field and George A. Field.
His business eareer has been of the most honorable character, and he has always en-
LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
joyed the entire respect of his fellow-citizens. He has been trustee of the Clyde High
School, president and trustee of the village of Clyde and overseer of the poor of the
town of Galen. For years he was leader of the first brass band organized in the
eastern part of Wayne county.
Fenn, Merritt H., only son of Nelson G. and Fannie M. Fenn, of Butler, was born
September 11. 1849. An elder sister, Sylvia, is Mrs. George Johnson, of Wolcott.
Merritt's father died December 17, 1851, aged only thirty-two years, and six years
later the family removed to Wolcott, where Merritt married, February 8, 1872, Adella,
only daughter of Cuyler Castor. Their only child, Marion, died in 1889, when only
fifteen years of age. Fannie, the widow of Nelson Fenn, is now Mrs. Alpheus
Flint, Dwight B., was born in Rose, February 9, 1830, son of Elizur Flint, a farmer
born in 1793, and a native of Connecticut. He was an 1812 pensioner, and ranked as
sergeant. He came to Rose in 1817 and settled on wild land, and died in 1884. He
was a Republican and had served as supervisor one term and justice of the peace for
many years, and was commonly called Squire Flint. His wife was Roxie Howard, of
Connecticut, and their children were Dwight B. and Calista, deceased, wife of George
Catchpole, of Rose. In 1859 our subject came to Huron and exchanged farms with
his brother-in-law, George Catchpole, doing general farming, but apples being his
favorite crop. In 1892 he purchased a farm of fifty acres in lot 2. In 1859 he mar-
ried Mary A., a daughter of Robert Catchpole, and they have one child, Augusta E.,
wife of Frank D. Gaylord, of Sodus, and their children are: Elizabeth C, born in 1S86,
and Dwight F., born in 1889. Our subject is a member of the Masonic order in Rose
Yalley, of which he has been treasurer twenty-six years. In politics he is a Republi-
can, and has served as assessor, supervisor in 1875 and 1876, and county superintendent
for six years. He and his wife are members of the Clyde Grange.
Fries, William, was born in the town of Rose December 28, 1847, the youngest of
eleven children of Andrew and Catherine (Mink) Fries, both natives of Columbia
county, N. Y. The grandfather, William, and his wife emigrated from Germany to
America and were early settlers of Columbia county. Andrew Fries came from Colum-
bia county to Rose, then to Palmyra, and then to Williamson, where he died in 1870,
and his wife in 1874. Of the family four sons and two daughters still survive. Two
sons and one daughter reside in Wayne county, and the others in Michigan. William
Fries was reared on a farm and worked the homestead farm a great many years. In
1877 he came to Ontario, was for awhile in the mercantile business at Furnaceville, and
then bought the farm near Furnaceville, where he is quite largely engaged in growing
and evaporating fruit. He has twenty-five acres of apples, five acres of raspberries
and peaches, besides other small fruits. In 1869 he married Elizabeth, daughter of
Emmet Teats, of Ontario, originally of Dutchess county. Mr. and Mrs. Fries have had
four daughters, only one of whom survive : Eveline died at the age of three years,
May died at the age of ten, Pearl died at the age of six, and Edna, born October 3,
1877, who is at home. Three of Mr. Fries' brothers, Andrew, Edmund and Gilbert,
were soldiers in the Rebellion. Gilbert was killed at the battle of Cedar Creek. In
politics the family are Republican and in religion they are Presbyterians.
Field, W. N., was born in Clyde July 14, 1848. His father, Ambrose S. Field, was
a native of the town of Galen. Mr. W. N. Field was educated in the Clyde High
School, after leaving which he associated himself with nis father in the furniture and
undertaking business. Hepurchased the business in 1881 and is now proprietor. Mr.
W. N. Field married Miss Lucy A. Foote, daughter of Allen G. Foote, and they are the
parents of the following children : Charles W., who was graduated from Union Col-
lege in 1893, and is now a member of the State Engineer Corps ; Edna M., Lucy A.
and Winifred. •
FAMILY SKETCHES. 53
Fogerty, Timothy, of Macedon, was born in Ireland November 7, 18'27, a son of Ed-
mund Fogerty, also a native of that country. Timothy came to America in 1854 and
settled in Columbia county, where he worked in an iron foundry for two years then
took up his residence (1856) in Macedon, where he engaged in farming by the month
for four years. In 1858 he married Marie Coniff, of this town, and of their five chil-
dren four survive, one son having died February 26, 1894, aged thirty-one years. Mr.
Fogerty is a Democrat in politics and a member of the Catholic Church. His farm con-
sists of 171 acres.
Farrand, G-. A., was born November 1, 1830, in Savannah. He received a common
school education, and with that as a basis has by personal research become a man of
wide information. He married March 28, 1854, Amelia, daughter of James Carris, of
Tyre, Seneca county. Mr. Carris died February 25, 1887, aged seventy-eight years, his
widow, Pamelia, surviving him. She was born at Waterloo December 18, 1816. The
only child of G-. A. and Amelia Farrand is Valeria, born December 17, 1855. She is
now the wife of R. A. Wilson, of Butler, now superintendent of the Wagner Palace
Car Company in Chicago, 111. Mr. Farrand, like his elder brothers, is a " landmark" in
intellect and popularity.
Farnum, Aramon S., of Savannah, was born in Onondaga county in 1848, a son of
Sylvester A. and Maria (Conklin) Farnum, the former dying in 1893 and the latter in
1883. Mr. Farnum received a liberal education at Albion Academy, supplemented by a
business training at the Ames College, of Syracuse. He is a trained telegrapher, having
been engaged in that work several years after leaving school. At the age of twenty-
two he began the manufacture of harness in this place, and has built up a large and
profitable trade, carrying also an attractive and large stock of saddlery hardware. In
1872 he married C. Jennie Westbrook. Their eldest daughter, Maud, born in 1873, is
the wife of Prof. L. H. Carris, principal of Apalachin High School. Two younger
daughters are: Mary, born in 1876, and Clara, born in 1881. Mr. Farnum has served
as justice of the peace for eleven years and has served on the Board of Supervisors five
years, besides filling many minor positions. In 1884 Mr. Farnum was elected to the
Assembly, serving two years, to the entire satisfaction of his colleagues and of his con-
Farrand, Isaac T., the second of the three sons of Ebenezer and Susan Farrand, was
born January 29, 1828. He married February 25, 1857, Janette, daughter of Daniel
Kissinger, of Seneca Falls. In 1860 he engagad in the grocery business, but since 1865
has been a farmer. He is a member of the M. E. Church, a steadfast Republican, hav-
ing been an assessor for a term of fifteen years. He is also a man of sunny and genial
temperament, and has hosts of friends. He has two sons, Edrick H., born August 31,
1858, a dealer in agricultural machinery, wagons, seeds, grains, etc., with stock and
headquarters on the homestead farm, and William, born" January 5, 1863, who is a
watchmaker and jeweler of much skill and success, having graduated in 189 1' with a No.
1 diploma from the Horological School at Waltham, Mass.
Fisher & Kellogg. The senior member of this firm, Gilbert Fisher, was born at
Gorham, N. Y., February 22, 1825. He is the son of the late Gilbert Fisher, of Butler,
a prominent farmer, who died in 1832. He now conducts (having admitted his grand-
son, Guyon Kellogg) a large dairy and fruit farm, shipping dairy products to New
York and adjacent points in New Jersey. Prior to the Civil War Mr, Fisher con-
ducted a hotel at Port Glasgow. He was a soldier of Company H, 9th Heavy Artil-
lery, serving until the close of the war, and although escaping unwounded, suffers
severely from rheumatism contracted while in the service. September 16. 1848. he
married Chalystia Stage, of Wolcott, and they have one daughter, Mary, born De-
cember 16. 1848, who became the wife of John C. Kellogg December 24, 1867. The
children of the latter marriage are Guyon, born March 17, 1870, and Ida May, born
54 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
October 27, 1876. Guy was educated at Leavenworth Institute (as was also his sister)
and was for a time engaged as clerk with A. W. Moore and H. C. Moses at Wolcott.
A young man of good business abilities, he is highly esteemed by all who know him.
Finley, Mark G, of Walworth, was born December 16, 1826, and was educated in
the Walworth Academy and Union College, from which latter he graduated in 1856.
He then began reading law, and was admitted to the bar in 1859, and began practice