George Washington Cowles.

Landmarks of Wayne County, New York online

. (page 60 of 107)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

in Palmyra. He also served as school commissioner for nine years, ending January
1, 1894. He served as police justice twenty- five years, and was also justice of
the peace, having served since 1861. He was again elected police justice April 1,
1894. In December, 1861, he married Helen E. Myrick, and their children are: Han-
nah E., a teacher in the Union School ; Helen M., wife of Dr. S. H. Hunt of Chicago ;
Marjone C, John Finley and Prudence Sabin. The parents of our subject were natives
of Orange county, N. Y., and Connecticut, respectively, having been married in Con-
necticut. They moved to Walworth in 1816, where they died. The father came to
Walworth in 1808, and was in the war of 1812. His second wife was Rebecca Daven-
port, nee Potter, by whom he had two children.

Fisher, Abram, was born on the ocean ; October 31, 1844, while his parents were
coming from Holland to America. He is a brother of John Fisher, mentioned in this
work. Our subject was reared on a farm and worked by the month for twelve >ears,
and then purchased the land he owns of sixty-five acres and also thirty-seven acres,
which he sold to his brother. He follows general farming, and also has eight acres of
berries. Mr. Fisher is a Republican in politics. He married, August 8, 1871, Ella
Hulbert, a native of Ontario, and daughter of Norman and Mary Hulbert, and they had
seven children: Wellington, Earnest, Addison I., Jessie, Allison, Blanche and Frank.

Forgham, Richard F., was born in Westmoreland, Oneida county, October 1, 1848,
was educated in the common schools and is a self-made and self-educated man. At
the age of seventeen he established a crockery and variety store in Camden, which he
sold in 1868 and came to Lyons in 1871 and established the bottling business, being
the first plant of the kind between Syracuse and Rochester, and in which he is still
engaged. At the age of thirty-nine he married Mary L., daughter of Sylvanus Bailey,
of Lyons, and they are the parents of one son, John E. Our subject is a Republican
in politics, and is serving his second term as trustee of the village, being identified in
advancing the best interests of his town and the leading events of the day ; the street
running by his property being named for him, Forgham street. He is a man of con-
servative character and of sterling worth and integrity.

Gates, Melvin B., born in Ontario, March 1, 1829, is a son of Joseph W. and Harriet
(Levens) Gates, the former born in Oswego county February 3, 1801. Mrs. Gates died
in 1831, and he married second a sister of his first wife, who still survives, she being
the only one left of six. They had four children, all now living. Mr. Gates was one
of the pioneers of Ontario, was for several years supervisor of the town, and served
six years as assessor, and revenue assessor from 1862 to 1866. The grandparents of
our subject was Isaac and Prudence (French) Gates, who came to Ontario in 1816,
and settled on a farm. He was twice married and raised a large family. Melvin B.
was educated in Walworth Academy and has always followed farming. In 1855 he
married Rhoda M. Gould, born June 11, 1830, and daughter of Ebenezer and Silva
(Bancroft) Gould, early settlers of Walworth, Wayne county, by whom he has had
two sons, Floyd I., born in November, 1860. His wife is Kittie Cone, and he is en-
gaged in farming in Ontario ; and Louis M., born September 13, 1868. At the time of
his marriage, Mr. Gates settled on the farm he now owns, and has since resided there
and made many improvements. His farm has 120 acres, and he is engaged in general
farming and fruit growing. In politics he is a Republican, and is at present county
superintendent of .the poor. Mr. Gates and wife attend and support the M. E. church.



FAMILY SKETCHES. 55

Gilbert, Joseph, a native of Marion, was born February 22, 1833. He is the young-
est of eight sons and eight daughters of Samuel and Luceba (Wilson) Gilbert, natives of
Hadley, Saratoga county. The grandfather was Joseph Gilbert, who was a farmer of
Saratoga county, where he died aged ninety-one. Samuel came to Wayne county in
1809 and settled first in Williamson. He was at Pultneyville during the War of 1812.
He removed to Marion in 1849 and bought 100 acres of land, where he resided until
his death in 1857. Mrs. Gilbert died in 1864. aged seventy-eight. He was one of the
pioneer abolitionists. Joseph Gilbert was reared on the farm and has made farming his
life occupation. He married in 1859 Emerett Adams, of Marion, by whom he had one
daughter and one son, who died in infancy. Alma is the wife of Delmar Hope, and
they have two daughters, Daisy and Faith C. Mr. Hope is now carrying on the
farm, which consists of 100 acres. Joseph Gilbert is a member of the Williamson
Grange.

Garlock, Abram, born in Mohawk Valley, N. Y., May 5, 1831, was the youngest of
thirteen children of Jacob and Maria Garlock, who came to Marion in 1837, and here
lived and died aged sixty-three years respectively. He owned a large farm, the village
of Marion occupying a part of that farm. Abram Garlock was educated in Marion Acad-
emy, and was engaged in the mercantile business ten years, but his principal occupa-
tion was a dealer in produce. He was postmaster four years. He married in May,

1854, Hester A. Sweezey, a native of Marion, and daughter of Merritt and Clarissa
Sweezey, he a native of Marion, and she a native of Vermont. Mr. Sweezey died in

1855, and his wife in 1873. Mr. Garlock and wife had four children : Arthur M., who
died in 1888, aged thirty; Emery L., who died in 1881, aged twenty-one; Carrie L.,
who died in 1883, aged twenty-two ; and May, wife of Edward Croucher. Mr Gar-
lock died May 13, 1884.

Gurnee, Isaac H., born in Onondaga county, June 6, 1824, was the second child of
Marvin and Phoebe (Hall) Gurnee, the former a native of Haverstraw, born in July,
1799, and died June 27, 1870. He was a son of Caleb Gurnee, who lived in Skaneate-
les, but died in Cayuga county. Marvin came to Ontario, N. Y., in 1828, and there
lived and died in 1870, and his wife December 12, 1885, aged eighty-one years. Our
subject was four years old when he came to Ontario, where he resided until 1866, when
he came to Marion on the farm he now owns. After two years he established a boot
and shoe business in the village, but soon returned to the farm he now owns, where he
has since resided. He married, December 31, 1846, Sarah Baker, a native of East
Newark, and daughter of Jacob and Jane (Ehodes) Baker. Mr. Gurnee and wife had
one son, Alonzo B., born February 16, 1849, in Ontario. He came to Marion and
learned the shoemaker's trade, which he followed six years, but his principal occupation
has been farming. He is a member of the A. O. IT. W. of Marion, and has been master
of the Grange three years, during which time the lodge has grown from twenty-six to
one hundred members. He married, October 26, 1870, Euphema Carpenter, by whom
he has had two children : T. Carlton and Edith M.

Griswold, William H., was born in the town of Rose, April 3, 1838. His father,
Lorenzo, was a native of the town of Victory, Cayuga county, and came to Wayne
county in 1834. He married Elizabeth, daughter of Nathan Jeffers, and they had seven
children, of whom three are now living : William H., Mrs. Sarah Lane, and Mrs. Helen
J. Cobell. Lorenzo was among the early settlers in the town of Rose, and through life
was a prominent farmer in his town. He died in March, 1851, aged forty-three years.
William H. was educated in the common schools, to which he has added through life
by reading and close observation. At the age of twenty-one he married Julia A.,
daughter of James Weeks, by whom he has three children : Charles E., Frank W., and
one daughter. Our subject is one of the largest farmers in Wayne couuty, raising large
quantities of fruit, hay, grain and stock. He was elected supervisor for two terms, and



56 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.

takes an active interest in educational and religious matters, being a liberal supporter of
the Methodist church.

Getman, George W"., was born in Columbia, Herkimer county, N. Y., December 18,
1845, was educated in the district schools, and finished at West Winfield Academy, after
which he taught for two years, and then entered the employ of J. G. Burriil at Herki-
mer, N. Y., and learned the profession of druggist, moving to Lyons in April, 1869, and
established the business of retail druggist and wholesale and retail essential oils, of
which he is one of the largest buyers and shippers in Wayne county. At the age of
twenty-three he married Fannie Taylor, of Herkimer, and they have three sons, George,
Frank, and William, and two daughters, Fannie and Marion. He is a Republican in
politics, has been trustee of the village, and is also interested in school and religious mat-
ters, having been an elder twenty years in the Presbyterian church of Lyons. Our sub-
ject is thoroughly identified in advancing the best interest of his town, where he is
recognized as a man of sterling character and high worth.

Garlock Packing Company. — This firm engaged in the manufacture of steam, water,
and ammonia fibrous packings, is one of Wayne county's most important manufacturing
establishments. In 1884 Garlock, Crandall & Co. began the business at Palmyra on a
small scale in a single room of one of the buildings now occupied by the present com-
pany. The firm of Garlock, Crandall & Co. consisted of 0. J. Garlock, a native of
Palmyra, now a resident of New York city; Eugene Nichols, a native of Monroe
county, and George H. Crandall, a native of this town. In September, 1887, the Gar-
lock Packing Company was formed by 0. J. Garlock, Eugene Nichols, and F. W.
Griffith, a native of Phelps, Ontario county. The old firm purchased, in 1886, the
main building now occupied by the present company, comprising a three-story, 36x80
structure, and in 1888 an additional building of two stories was erected. The class of
fibrous packings made by this firm, in ring and spiral forms, was originated by Mr.
Garlock, and has replaced other kinds to a very great extent. It was first introduced
about 1884. They are also large manufacturers of gaskets, and jobbers of packings
for flanges and joints. They use one steam engine, with a forty-five horse-power
boiler, also an electric dynamo engine, employing from fifteen to twenty hands. They
manufacture four special packings, viz. : Garlock's Special Water, Garlock's Elastic
King, Garlock's Sectional R'n?, and Garlock's Spiral. In addition to their plant here,
they have also one at Rome, Ga., and have branch offices in New York, Philadelphia,
Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Chicago, and Omaha, from which points shipments are made to
the various parts of the country. They have a large export trade controlled by the
New York branch, wh'ch also supplies numerous inter continental steamers. They are
shipping from Palmyra about four tons per week.

Gilbert, John P., M. D., was born in Lyons December 27, 1829. His father, John,
came to Lyons in 1806. His father, Amos Gilbert, was a soldier of the Revolutionary
War, and himself a soldier in the war of 1812. He was one of the founders of the
Presbyterian church, and was one of the deacons for more than fifty years up to the
time of his death in 1882, aged ninety-two years. John P. was educated in the Lyons
Union School and the Geneva Medical College, and graduated from the medical de-
partment of the University of New York in 1856, under the celebrated Valentine Mott,
after which he returned to Lyons and succeeded Dr. Pollock, his preceptor^ and estab-
lished a general practice, making a specialty of the treatment of the eye and ear. In
October, 1857, he married Mary E. Tyler, daughter of Piatt Tyler, esq, of Hillsdale,
Columbia County, N. Y. Mrs. Gilbert died in 1882, leaving one child, Mary Louisa.
He had charge of the Albany Eye and Ear Infirmary from 1858 to 1861. He received
a commission from Hon. Gideon Wells, secretary of the navy, and entered the U. S.
Navy in December, 1861, as acting assistant surgeon in the East Gulf Squadron, offi-
ciating as chief medical officer on board the U. S. ship, Guard. Resigning from the
navy in 1862 he entered the United States hospital service in De Camp General Hos-



FAMILY SKETCHES. 57

pital at David's Island ; was later assigned as post surgeon at the Draft Rendezvous at
Riker's Island, New York harbor. Continuing in the hospital service up to 1865, he
then resigned on account of ill health. He soon after located in Long Island City and
established a general practice and a drug store, and was appointed postmaster. Since
1870 he has practiced in the west until 1881, when he returned to Lyons, where he has
since resided. Dr. Gilbert is the inventor and proprietor of " Vital Vim," a new
stimulant without alcohol or any injurious ingredients, which is rapidly gaining in favor
as a household remedy, as well as a cure for the liquor habit. He is a comrade of A.
D. Adams Post, No. 153, G-. A. R., of the State of New York; a member of Humanity
Lodge, No. 406, F. and A. M., and one of the original charter members of Temple
Lodge, No. 115, Ancient Order of United Workmen, of which he is past master work-
man and medical examiner.

Greenway, George B., was born in Syracuse February 15, 1856. His father, George
Greenway, was one of the firm of J. & G. Greenway, brewers. George B. Greenway
was educated in Syracuse and Williams College, after which he studied medicine. In
1880 in connection with C. E. Wolcott he purchased the book and stationery business
of Davis, Bardeen & Co., which he afterward sold out and took an interest in the
Whitney Wagon Works. In 1889 he came to Clyde and purchased S. D. Streeter's in-
terest of the Streeter Malting Company, and in 1892 bought the remaining Streeter in-
terest. Mr. Greenway married Miss Ella M. Warner daughter of Arthur Warner, of
Springfield, Mass., and to them one child was born, viz., Ruth W. Mr. Greenway is a
public spirited man and is interested in the advancement of the educational and religious
institutions of the town. In 1894 he was elected president of the village of Clyde.

Gatchell, William Whittier, was born in Galen September 7, 1822, a son of Elisha, a
native of Boston, who came in 1813 to Lyons, Wayne county, and some years later to
Huron and settled on Great Sodus Bay. He served as justice of the peace, com-
missioner, and assessor. He married first Sophia, daughter of Clark Whittier, of Port-
land, Maine, by whom he had five children : Jeremiah, William W., James W., Harriet,
and Mary Ann. His second wife was Margaret Britton, and their children were :
Sophia, Christopher, Henry, Charles, Guett, Elisha (deceased). Jane, and Charles. The
grandfather was Jeremiah, also a native of Boston, and a sea captain. His wife was a
Miss Diamond, whose father was sailing master on board the war-ship Constitution.
At the age of eighteen William W. engaged in the mercantile business in Port Glasgow,
which he followed four years, afterward engaging in the apple business, which he fol-
lowed eighteen years and then turned his attention to farming and fruit growing, own-
ing 170 acres. In February, 1861, he married Louise, daughter of Charles and Polly
Tyndall, of Rose, and their children are : Minnie, wife of Dr. George D. York, of
Huron ; James K., of Troy ; Worth and Sophia. Mr. and Mrs. Gatchell are members of
Huron Grange, and in politics our subject is a Democrat. He has served as post-
master, assessor, constable, collector, and supervisor.

Gilbert, Edward F., was born in Lyons January 21, 1843. His father, John, was one
of the prominent business men in his town, being a manufacturer and inventor of fan-
ning mills for over sixty years. These mills were shipped all over the United States,
Canada, and to foreign countries, including Turkey and Damascus, Syria. He invented
the process of putting the twist in the double warp of the wire screens used in clean-
ing grain ; previous to that time they were braided by hand. In 1858 he engaged in
the furniture and undertaking business, in which he was succeeded by his son Edward
F., who was educa'ed in the Lyons Union School, began an active business life at the
age of sixteen, and carried on the business twenty-eight years. He then traveled on
the road and is also engaged in shipping to foreign countries parts of fanning mills that
could not be manufactured there. He is also the inventor of several toys, among them
being the thirteen, fourteen, fifteen puzzle, " Gibert's Instruction Alphabet" and
h



58 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.

" Wash stand Screen." At the age of twenty-four he married Viola, daughter of Mor-
timer Calkins, of Earlville, N. Y., a graduate from the Lyons Musical Academy, who is
an efficient organist and successful piano music teacher. They are the parents of two
children: Carrie (deceased), and Mary Keokee, who has been a pupil of celebrated vio-
linists and is herself a brilliant performer and able instructor on the violin. Our subject
is one of the prominent business men in his town, having been trustee, treasurer and
assessor in his village.

Gillett, William, was born at Ferguson's Corners in the town of Galen, June 26,
1827. His father, James Gillett. was a native of Kent, England, came to the United
States in 1824 and settled in Wayne county at Ferguson's Corners. He died in 1848.
aged fifty- six. William Gillett was educated in the common schools in the town of
Sodus, and at the age of twenty-five married Lucy A., daughter of John Butler, by
whom he had three children, John H., William J. (now deceased), and Mrs. Lizzie B.
Patten. In 1861 he bought the Benjamin Ford property of 100 acres, raising fruit,
hay, grain and stock, and making a specialty of garden seeds. Our subject is one of
the representative men of his town, was elected supervisor and assessor, and takes an
active interest in school and church matters.

Garlock, James P., was born in Arcadia July 15, 1825, and came with his parents to
Parma, Monroe county, and here he was educated and learned the trade of carpentry.
This he followed twelve years, since which he has engaged in farming. February 23,
1859, he married Lydia A. Bryant, a daughter of one of the first settlers of the town,
and they have one son, Willard B., a farmer with his father. The family returned to
Wayne county and located in East Palmyra in 1864, and in 1868 to the town of Arca-
dia, locatir
born in C
burgh, by ,.

becca Van Zile, and their five children were: Andrew, James P., Nelson H., William,
and Wesley. This family came here in 1812, locating on the Edgett place west of
Newark. Nicholas died December 17, 1838, and his wife January 10, 1866. He was
a soldier in the war of 1812. The great-grandfather of James P. came from Germany
in 1709 and settled in Montgomery county, where the family was long identified with
the best interests of the locality. The fifth generation is now residing on the Bryant
homestead.

Gardner, Amos, was born in Webster, Monroe county, November 30, 1831. He is
one of a family of nine sons and seven daughters of Thomas and Matilda (Russell)
Gardner, he a native of Albany county, born February 12, 1806, died February 1, 1861,
and she a native of Greene county, born September 18, 1812. Mr. Gardner was a
farmer by occupation and bought the farm now owned by George Gardner in On-
tario. Mrs. Gardner died December 13, 1889. A son, Louis, was in the Rebellion
two years. He was wounded at the battle of Gettysburg, from the effects of which he
died October 20. 1886. The grandfather was Silas, who came from Rhode Island to
Monroe county, and settled finally in Ontario, Wayne county, where he died. Amos
Gardner was reared on the farm and has always followed farming. He now has a
farm of fifty acres and carries on general farming and fruit raising. October 24, 1855,
he married Lydia, daughter of Urial and Esther (Power) Aldrich, he of Macedon and
she of Oak Orchard Creek, N. Y. They had three sons and two daughters, all of whom
are now living. He died September 24, 1882, and his wife resides at Farmington, On-
tario county, on the homestead, aged eighty-four years. Mr. and Mrs. Gardner have
had three sons and one daughter : E. Isabelle, who died May 25, 1872 ; Urial, deceased ;
Cassius and Royal, who are at home. In politics he is a Republican, and in religion
they are Baptists.

Gardner, Ishmael Gilbert, is one of Huron's representatives, born in Huron April 6,
1851, and is the son of Samuel Gardner, a farmer born in Ontario county in 1820. He



FAMILY SKETCHES. 59

came to Huron in 1849, and served as assessor, supervisor, and in other offices. His
wife was Hannah Brewster, of Lansingburg, and their children were Ishmael G. and
Elizabeth, deceased. His second wife was Happilona Chatterson, and they had one
child, Ella, wife of Samuel Lyman, of Rose. Our subject now owns the homestead
farm, and is a grower and distiller of the oils of peppermint, spearmint, wormwood and
tansy. He also has extensive hot houses and gardening lands, and is engaged in forcing
various winter and early spring crops for the city markets. In 1875 he married Sarah,
daughter of Azael and Harriet Slaght, and their children are: Evelyn, born 1876;
Samuel, 1878; Belle, deceased; Laura, 1889. Mr. Gardner is a Democrat.

Ganze, Henry A., was born in Germany, July 27. 1837, is the son of Henry and
Maria Ganze, natives of Germany, who came to New York in 1852, and finally settled
in Egg Harbor City, Atlantic county, N. J., where Mr. Ganze died in 1881, and his wife
in 1866. Subject was educated in the common schools of Germany and at a evening
school in New York. He left New York in 1854, and settled in Marion (at sixteen
years of age). Mr. Ganze is a natural musician, and for a number of years played the
organ in the Christian church, of which he and his wife are members. He learned the
carpenter trade, and has followed it most of his life. He enlisted in 1862 in Company
D, 160th New York Volunteer Infantry, and served three years and three months. He
was in the following battles : Port Hudson, Winchester, Fisher's Hill, Cedar Creek,
wounded and taken prisoner, but only held one day. He married, December 30, 1857,
Clarissa Fish, a native of Fall River, Mass., daughter of John and Mary Fish. Mr.
Ganze and wife had six children: Henry J., born August 26, 1866; Albert A., born
September 27, 1867; William H., born January 2, 1871; Thomas S., born July 7, 1872;
Mary A., born February 3, 1875, and one born in 1880, who died in infancy. Henry J.
died August 27, 1866 ; Albert A. died March 3, 1870; Thomas died April 26, 1873. Mr.
Ganze holds the office of excise commissioner.

Hall, J. Madison, one of the oldest residents of this locality, and who yet carries
lightly his eighty-six years, was born in Pittstown, Rensselaer county, October 8, 1808,
the son of Aaron Hall, a native of Connecticut. Practically a self-educated man, he is
an omniverous reader and a man of vigorous mental action. His wife, Phila Mosher,
was born in Pittstown, February 3, 1810, and died May 16, 1889. Their children were
as follows: Henry, now with his father; Wesley, a prominent merchant at Red Creek;
Mary, wife of D. D. decker, of the firm of Becker & Hall, merchants and bankers of
Red Creek ; Martha, wife of A. M. Turner, of New York city ; and Harriet, who died
April 22, 1850, aged fifteen.

Heisler, Henry, was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, November 7, 1833, and came to
the United States in 1855. He first went to Monroe county, in 1856 came to the town
of Huron, and in 1869 bought the Rogers property of fifty acres, raising fruit, hay,
grain, and stock. In 1857 he married Maria B., daughter of Casper Mannes, and they
have three children : Henry R., John C, and Mrs. Maria Jenkins. Our subject is one
of the most thorough farmers in the town of Galen, and is recognized as a man of
steiling integrity.

Hamm, Moses F., was born in the town of Bloomfield, Ontario county, March 17,
1834, was educated in the common schools, and is a graduate of the Canandaigua Acad-
emy. About 1854 he married Phoebe J., daughter of Jason and Adeline Sanford, of
East Palmyra. Mr. Hamm taught school when a young man, and by industry and
good management has become possessed of a comfortable competence. When the Union
School and Academy was erected, he devoted his entire time to superintending the con-
struction of the edifice, in the capacity of trustee, which latter office he filled for nine
years. He has also served as president of village of Newark. Mrs. Hamm died in
1865, and he married second, May 14, 1867, Mary E., daughter of Edward and Lida