Kirby, of Oneida county. Mr. Hamm is committee in charge of the Emma L. Ramsdell
60 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
estate, the owner being insane. He has resided in Newark seventeen years. His care
of the above estate, together with the care of his farms, absorbs his whole time and
energies. He was formerly associated with James Upton and Gideon Ramsdell as
wood and tie contractors for fifteen years, for the N. Y. C. & H. R. R. R Co. He is a
member of Newark Lodge No. 83, F. & A. M.. also of I. 0. 0. F. No. 250. Mrs. Hamm
is a member of the Woman's Relief Corps. Mr. Hamm's father, Robert, was born in
Vermont, of Scotch parentage, and came to this part of the country in 1802, first
locating in Palmyra, and later in East Bloom field. His first wife was Sarah Mack, and
his second was Eunice Guile, of Keene, N. H. His children were: Miranda, Burton,
Helena, Levantiaette, Robert, jr., Delia, Moses F., Eunice, Eusebia. He died, aged
eighty-four. Edward Kirby, Mrs. Hamm's father, was a civil engineer, born in France,
who married Lida Long, of Oneida county, and they had seven children, of which only
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
Hance, Thomas C, was one of the early settlers in this county, having been born in
Calvert county, Md., September 27, 1782, and died April 18, 1888, in Macedon, at the
advanced age of 105 years, six months, and twenty-one days. He moved from Balti-
more, Md., in 1803, to Western New York, and remained with his parents in Farming-
ton until 1817, when he married Esther C, daughter of Abraham Lapham. He then
removed to Macedon and kept the first general store on the mail route, west of Palmyra,
also had nurseries in Farmington and Macedon. In 1821 he received a patent for a
horse hay rake on wheels, it being the first patent of the kind issued. He and wife were
members of the Society of Friends. They had seven children, six of whom lived to
maturity, as follows: Benjamin M., born in 1818 in Macedon, graduated from the
Canandaigua Academy, and taught school a number of years. He was a member of the
Sanitary Commission in the late war, stationed at Point of Rocks, Va., and later at
Alexandria Heights. He took the overland route to California in 1849. At present he
is a resident of Niles, Mich., in the horticultural business; Sarah D., born in 1820,
graduated from the Albany Female Seminary, and at once took the position of precep-
tress at Macedon Academy (of which she was a graduate), later of the Palmyra and
Utica schools. She was instructor to the daughter of Senator Seward, and she served
as an assistant private secretary to him at Washington in 1857. She died June 10, 1807 ;
Abraham L., born April 6, 1822, died December 20, 1893 ; Thomas C, born in 1823,
graduated from the Chicago Medical College, was a surgeon in the United States army,
and is now stationed at Republican City, Neb. ; Dr. S. F. H, born in 1825 in Ohio,
graduated from the Albany Medical College, and was surgeon in the 89th Illinois
Infantry, resident now of Minneapolis, Minn. ; and Jonahan R., born in Ohio in 1827.
The parents in their old age lived with their son, Abraham L. The father was a de-
scendant of John Hance, of England, who settled in Maryland soon after Lord Baltimore
established the colony there. The mother was a descendant of the Laphams of Rhode
Island. She died in June, 1862, at the home of her son Abraham. The latter is the
only one of the sons who remained in this State. He was educated at the Canandaigua
and Macedon Center Academies, and in early life was a teacher and superintendent of
schools, and for forty years was connected with the best interests of his native town.
He married Lydia Packard in 1854. She was a daughter of Philander and Minerva
Packard. They had two sons: Frederick S., born October 17, 1858, who married
Jessie E. Parker in 1882, and has five children : and Benjamin M., born December 9,
1859, who lives on the homestead. He married Ada E. Eldredge in 1883.
Horton, George S., of Wok'Ott, was born in the old homestead at North Wolcott,
March 23, 1857. He was educated at the Leavenworth Institute and Red Creek Union
Seminary. In the fall of 1880 he became a student in the law department of the Uni-
versity of Michigan at Ann Arbor, remaining there one year, thence to the Albany Law
School, where he graduated in the class of 1892. Prior to his le^al studies he spent a
portion of each year as a teacher. When only twenty- two years of age, he was elected
justice of the peace in his native town, being the youngest one in the country. Mr.
FAMILY SKETCHES. 01
Horton cast his first presidential vote for James A. Garfield in 1880. He has been an
enthusiastic Republican ever since. He is associated with Colonel A. S. Wood in the
practice of the law. In the town of Wolcott, where he was reared, and with whose
interest he has always been identified, no man is more popular nor more highly respect-
ed, as is evidenced by the majorities which he always gets when he is a candidate for an
office. In the fall of 1893 he was elected by a plurality of two thousand five hundred
and fifty-three to represent the big and populous county of Wayne in the Assembly.
He was made chairman of the Committee on Privileges and Elections, and was also a
member on Judiciary and Claims. In the season of 1894 he introduced several measures
of an economical and reformatory character, not only earning the continued regard of
his constituents, but the respect of his political opponents. He is married, and has one
Hanchett, Mrs. Orange R., was born at Mexico, N. Y., March 17, 1826. Her maiden
name was Maretta Kenyon. In 1847 she married Frank Maguire, who was born in
Tyre, Seneca county, February 22, 1819. He was a resident of Butler forty years, en-
gaged in blacksmithing, and is a citizen of irreproachable character and moral worth.
He died at Butler, January 21, 1887. They had two sons, Darwin F., who died in
infancy; and Adelbert E., who was conductor on the T. W. S. W. R. R., and was killed
in a collision, November 6, 1874, a^ed twenty-six years. Mrs. Maguire married second,
Orange R. Hanchett (formerly of Wichita, Kan.), March 25, 1889, and they moved to
Wolcott, where Mr. Hanchett died April 9, 1893.
Henry, William, was born in Chatham, Columbia county, in 1817. a son of William
Henry, a school teacher, who went to Albany in 1818, and was never again heard from.
His wife was Catherine Sours, of Columbia county. In 1836 he and his mother moved
to Wayne county, and purchased the farm where Mr. Henry now lives. Here his
mother died in 1873. He makes a specialty of raising fruit, in which he is very success-
ful, his farm consisting of 200 acres. In 1844 he married Olive, daughter of Benjamin
and Hannah Parker, of Huron, who were early settlers here. Mrs. Henry was born in
1823. They had one child, born in 1846, Catherine Ann, wife of Aaron Peck, of Wol-
cott, by whom she has three children : G-ertie, Frank, and Minnie. Mrs. Henry died in
1849, and two years later he married Julia A. (born in July, 1823), a daughter of
Christian and Anna C. (Rote) Sours. They had four children : Seymour, born in 1852;
Mary, born in 1855. wife of Charles S. Pratt, of Marion ; Emma, born in 1857, wife of
Lewis Lovejoy, of Huron; and Idella, bom in 1860, wife of Frank Chapin, of Huron.
Mrs. Henry died June 18, 1894, aged seventy years. Mr. Henry has fourteen grand-
children, and three great-grandchildren. TJlrich Sours, great-grandfather of our subject,
was born in Germany, and had three children: Tunis, Peter, and Elizabeth. Tunis,
born in 1764, and his wife, Maria, born in 1756, had these children : Christiana, born in
1786; Philip, born in 1788; Catherine, born in 1790; Hannah, born in 1793; Margaret,
born in 1795 ; Maria, born in 1797 ; and Cynthia, born in 1799.
Heit, Jacob, was born in Alsace, March 8, 1823. His father, Michael, came with his
family to the United States in 1830, and died in 187 , aged eighty years. Jacob was
educated in the common schools. At the age of twenty-eight he married Magdalena,
daughter of Henry Miller, of Lock Berlin, and they have five children: John H., George
F., William A., Henry M., and Jacob D. In 1855 he bought the Adam Clum property;
in 1868 bought the William Bonell property, and subsequently the David Waldruff farm,
in all having about 450 acres, and raising fruit, hay, grain, and stock. Our subject is
one of the largest farmers in his town, taking an active interest in educational and re-
ligious matters, and has been steward of the M. E. church of Clyde many years.
Hopkins, Burton J., born in Ontario, September 22, 1835. is the third of five sons of
Joseph and Pamelia J. (Nichols) Hopkins, he a native of New Jersey, and she of Con-
necticut. He came to Manchester and then to Pultneyville, where he was married. He
62 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
then came to Ontario and settled on a farm, where he lived fifty-five years, and there
died in November, 1890, aged ninety years, and his wife resides with the subject of this
sketch at the age of ninety-two. Subject was reared on a farm and educated in Mace-
don and Webster Academies. He taught in district school during winter terms from the
time he was eighteen years old until he was married, was engaged in selling nursery
stock and also in the saw mill business, and bought wool in partnership with his brother
Henry for several years. He received a patent for slicing and curing apples in 1880, it
being the first in use. Mr. Hopkins is at present a farmer, and purchased a farm of 111
acres in 1885, where he has since resided. He is a Republican, a member of South
Shore Grange of Ontario, and is now master of the Grange. The family are members
of the Presbyterian church. He married in 1864 Ann E. Sprague, by whom he has had
four children : Archer G, W. Burr, Mary A., and Glenn N. W. Burr graduated from
Phillips Academy. Andover, Mass., in 1893, and is now a student of Brown's College,
Providence, R. I. Archer C. was educated in Palmyra and Macedon Academies. Mary
is a student of Webster Union School.
Hamm, Edson W., was born at Sharon Springs, N. Y., September 18, 1861, was edu-
cated in Macedon Academy, and from there went to the Albany Normal School, and
after teaching two years began the study of law with Hon. Stephen K. Williams at
Newark, N. Y., then went to Washington, D. C, to assist in the republication of the
United States Supreme Court reports. He then took the law course at the National
University of Law at Washington, graduating in 1884, and in 1885 took a post-graduate
course, and returned to Newark and spent a year with Judge Norton, and was admitted
to the bar in 1886, and then entered into partnership with Judge Norton. In 1887 he
terminated that connection and came to Lyons, where he carries on a general practice.
At the age of twenty-eight he married Mary W. Yan Camp, daughter of William Van-
Camp. Subject is recognized as one of the rising men in his profession, giving an earnest
and energetic attention to all business matters.
Hill, Edmund, was born in Junius, Seneca county, May 11, 1835. His father, Peter,
came to Wayne county in 1839, and was a prominent farmer in his town. Edmund re-
ceived his education in the district schools, to which he has added through life by read-
ing and close observation. In 1865 he married Augusta, daughter of William Rein-
hardt, of Pittsfield, Mass., and they are the parents of four children : Theodore W.,
Charles E., Edmund Augustus, and Lena E. In 1879 Mr. Hill inherited his father's
estate of ninety acres, to which he has added by buying adjoining property, and all of
which he has now under cultivation. Our subject is one of the leading men of his town,
taking an active interest in educational and religious matters.
Holdrige, A. J., after a life of more than ordinary interest and adventure in foreign
lands, returned in 1865 to his old home, for the next ten years was on shore and at sea,
and for sixteen years has been an express and freight agent at Savannah. He was born
in Galen, September 16, 1838, a son of Ambrose and Charity Holdridge. His educational
opportunities were limited, and at the age of fifteen he ran away from home and shipped
from Greenport, L. I., on board the whaler Italy in 1854. Off the Aleutian Isles in 1856
she was dismasted in a heavy storm, and after the loss of eleven men finally harbored
in Honolulu, Sandwich Islands, and the cargo of 2,800 barrels of oil and 32,500 pounds
of whalebone was saved intact, then visited a number of the South Sea Islands among
the cannibals. He next shipped in the Sheffield for another whaling cruise, which lasted
eight months, with a net result of 2,200 barrels of oil and 19,000 pounds of whalebone.
Next entering the merchant service he visited all the principal ports of South America,
rapidly passing by various promotions from a common sailor to first mate, which posi-
tion he held on board the Monterey when but twenty-two years of age. During the
war between Peru and Ecuador he was on a blockade-runner, which was on one occa-
sion chased all day by a Peruvian man-of-war without result. At Panama, when in the
passenger steamer service, he had the dreaded chagres fever, and after his recovery
FAMILY SKETCHES. 63
he again entered merchant service, visiting London and other points in the Old World.
In 1863, while on the United States navy ship Aphrodite, he suffered shipwreck off
Cape Lookout, when the ship and twenty-six men were lost, but Mr. Holdridge es-
caped uninjured. After the war he spent several seasons on the lakes, chiefly in sail-
ing vessels, and subject to the usual vicissitudes of a sailor's life, sometimes an officer,
and sometimes before the mast. In 1889 he married Fanny Taylor, of Clyde. Our sub-
ject has been president of the village, trustee, assessor, etc.
Harrington, Eb., is a son of Daniel Harrington, a Wayne county pioneer, who died
at Savannah in 1883. He was in many ways a prominent man in early times, con-
ducted a steam saw mill for a period of fifteen years, and was commissioner of high-
ways for twenty-five years. His wife was Mary A. Fitch, and of her four children two
are now living: Harriet, wife of Ezra Van Duyne, of Savannah ; and Eb., who was born
October 23, 1848, and acquired a good education at a select school at South Butler.
When twenty-four years of age he married Caroline, daughter of the late Herman West-
cott, of Savannah, and their children are : Cynthia, born April 19, 1874, and Eugene
born February 1, 1876. Caroline died February 16, 1886, and Mr. Harrington is now
married to Miss Catharine Fitch, of Savannah, and she has one daughter born March
Hamilton, David R., was born December 3, 1806, the son of David Hamilton, of
Montgomery county, who died December 7, 1819, at an advanced age. David was one
of a family of nine children, and at the age of eighty- eight now stands the sole living'
representative, in Wayne county of that family. His boyhood was passed in Saratoga
county, coming to Butler in 1828, in September of which year he married Mary Hol-
lister, of Saratoga, by whom he had eight children : William H., born May 13, 1830;
Charles A., born February 3, 1832 ; Melissa, born October 7, 1833 ; Harriet, born April
5, 1835; Mary C, born December 14, 1836; Hollister, born September 30, 1839;
Martha, born February 19, 1841 ; and Frank, born September 24, 1844. Mary Hamil-
ton died, January 22, 1873, and December 24, of that year, he married Harriet, widow
of Oscar F. Coggswell, of Meridian. She had one son, William 0. Coggswell, who
died March 24, 1880, at Detroit, Mich., aged twenty-four years. He was a practicing
physician. Mr. Hamilton was a delegate to the first Republican county convention,
held in Wayne, when he served as secretary. He has served as coroner six years,
justice of the peace four years, and was commissioner of deeds four years. While he
was justice of the peace he had the pleasure of uniting in holy matrimony Mr. John
Bloomingdale and Miss Melissa Watson, both of the town of Wolcott. At last account
they were living happily together in Michigan.
Hotchkiss, H. G., was born in Oneida county, N. Y., June 19, 1810. His father,
Leman Hotchkiss, removed to Phelps, N. Y., in 1811, and became the pioneer merchant
of that region. On his death in 1826, H. G., with his brother L. B., succeeded to his
business, which continued until 1837, when he embarked in extensive milling opera-
tions, sending his flour to the New York markets. There was at that time a small
quantity of peppermint raised in the neighborhood. He secured the oil and sent it to
New York. Finding that the market was largely controlled by adulterators who were
shipping the oil in an impure state to Europe, he decided to commence the manufacture
of a strictly pure article for the European markets. The first consignments were
through George B. Morewood & Co. to London, and through G. Meyer & Sons to Rot-
terdam, in 1839. It soon became greatly appreciated by the consumers. Finding the
lowlands of Lyons, N. Y., admirably adopted to the purpose, he purchased a large
tract of land in 1843, and commenced the extensive cultivation of the plant. He re-
moved there in 1844. His brand has been awarded the first prize medals at the World's
Fairs held in England, Germany, America, France and Austria since 1851 ; and is at
present the leading brand of American essential oils in New York, London, Hamburg,
and all large European markets, as will be noticed in the quotations in all the leading
in LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
drug reports in America and Europe. On his way to the Paris Exposition in 1878 he
stopped in London, and was congratulated by prominent London merchants on the
London Exchange on the excellent reputations of his oils. He replied that if he were
guilty of fraud and adulterations, he would not be there to receive their congratulations.
Each case of oil contains a pamphlet describing the honors awarded to this brand, and
received the highest award of merit at the Columbian Exposition held at Chicago in
Hall, Aaron, married Polly Warner in 1806 in the town of Amherst, State of Massa-
chusetts, moved to Vernon, Oneida county, in ]810, and moved from there to the town
of Galen, now Savannah, Wayne county, in 1812 and settled on the faim now occupied
by Stephen Sprague. They had eight children, Harriet, the oldest, married Conrad
Sedore, who died in 1872. She had eight children, three of whom are now living. She
resides with her son, Ira B. Sedore at Savannah, and is eighty-seven years of age.
Andrew Hall married Mara Chapin, of Savannah, in 1827. He died in 1841, and his
wife died in 1876. They had five children, three of whom are now living: Aaron,
living about one mile west of Savannah, a farmer ; Andrew S., living in Savannah, an
insurance agent ; and Hattie, living in the State of Illinois. Oscar Hall died in Michi-
gan in 1893. Charlotte Hall married Richard Shears, who died in 1877 in Michigan.
She is living at present in Michigan, and is the mother of five children. Olive Hall mar-
ried Jacob Rex. They live in Steuben county and have three children, all living.
Ellis Hall married Thomas Blasdell, and moved to Michigan. They are both deceased.
Charles Hall married Betsey Howland, both deceased. Sylvia Hall married Stephen
Sprague in 1844, and they live on the homestead. Sylvia was the youngest of the Hall
children, and is now about seventy years of age. She has six children. Polly Hall
after the death of Aaron Hall in 1826, married Stephen Sprague, who died in 1858.
She died in 1882, aged ninety-three. Aaron and Andrew Hall served in the war of the
Rebellion, in Company A, 9th N. Y. Volunteers. Aaron is now sixty years old and
Andrew is fifty-eight.
Harrison, Edwin H., son of Hurum and Jane Jagger Harrison, was born in Ontario.
Wayne county, N. Y., June 16, 1839. His parents, who were natives of Palmyra, and
children of old settlers of that town, came to Ontario about 1830 and located upon a
farm of 100 acres, situated on the Ridge road, which continued to be their home until
their death. The mother died many years since, but the father survived till 1887,
when he died, aged eighty-one years. Edwin H. was reared, and has always lived
upon this farm, which he now owns, and was educated in the schools of Wayne county.
His occupation is general farming and fruit culture. He is an earnest advocate of
temperance, and is ever found supporting the principles of justice and morality. May
12, 1886, he married Lizzie M., daughter of Samuel and Harriet Vaughn, of William-
son, N. Y.
Herendeen, Charles B., of Macedon, was born in this town January 31, 1871, a son
of Charles B., also of this town, born within a short distance of where our subject now
lives. Charles B. married Mary Lapham, daughter of John Lapham, one of the old
settlers of this town, and they had five children: Anna, Hattie (who died aged about
twelve years), Charles, Grace and an infant who died. Charles B. died in 1889, and
his wife in 1874. Our subject owns a farm in Macedon, comprising 140 acres, which
he works according to the latest approved methods. He attended the common schools
and graduated at the Macedon Academy, and is at present a member of the Historical
Society of Macedon. In 1890 he married Stella Post, of Arcadia, and they have one
child, Alice G. Mr. Herendeen is a member of the Grange, and in politics a Republican.
Hall, Aaron F., was born in Savannah, August 26, 1833, the eldest son of Andrew
S. and Maria Hall. He married Sarah, daughter of Joseph and Lucretia Ferris of Sa-
vannah, and they have six children : Frank S., born April 10, 1856, who, with a wife
FAMILY SKETCHES. 65
and two daughters, reside at Marcellus, Mich., where he is engaged in the manufacture
of school furniture; Caleb H., born December 18, 1857, a farmer at Savannah, married,
and has five children ; John A., born April 30, 1859, now a school teacher and farmer
at Bladen, Neb., married and has one son, Vaughn S., born March 30, 1861, married
and has four children, residing at Bladen, Neb., a dealer in coal and lumber; Joseph 0.,
born March 4, 1862, now of Salem, Oregon, married and has two daughters; Oscar F.,
born February 27, 1868, now operating his father's farm, is married and has one son.
Our subject in December, 1863, enlisted in Company A, 9th N. Y. Artillery, and was
honorably discharged two years later. After the war he spent eight years in Michigan
upon a farm, returning to Savannah in 1875, and in 1886 purchased the farm of 11]
acres, lying two miles west of Savannah on the Clyde and Savannah road.
Holmes, Sebastian Durfee, was born in Palmyra, April 9, 1833. His father, Robert,
was a native of Amherst, N. H., and came to Lyons in 1818 with his father, afterward
engaging in the mercantile business. He married a daughter of Major Edward Durfee,
of Palmyra, who served in the war of 1812. S. D. Holmes was educated in the Lyons
Union School and in Rochester, then came to Lyons in 1850 and learned the carriage
business. In August, 1862, he raised Company D, 111th N. Y. Volunteers, going out
with it as captain. He was engaged in the battles at Harper's Ferry, Spottsylvania,
Gettysburg, Cold Harbor, Mine Run and before Petersburg. He was wounded in the
right arm at Gettysburg the last day of the battle, which forced him to resign May 27,
1864, but he returned in the fall and served in the commissary department. He mar-
ried Ellen M., daughter of Zebulon Moore, of Lyons, in October, 1855, and they have
one daughter, Edith. Zebulon Moore was a prominent railroad and canal contractor,
taking the contracts to erect some of the largest structures on the Erie and Welland
Canals, the Great Western Railroad, the Hamilton & Port Dover, London & Port
Stanley Railroad of Canada, and the Iowa Central Air Line. His last large operation
was the construction of the Southern Boulevard in New York city, extending through
the town of Morrisania and West Farms in the county of Westchester, in which work
S. D. Holmes was associated with him and completed the work after his death in 1869.
Mr. Holmes then associated with Charles H. Moore, son of Zebulon, and contracted to
build all bridge structures and station buildings on the line of the Canada Southern
Railroad. In the meantime they bought 1,800 acres of woodland in Canada on the St.
Clair branch of the Canada Southern Railroad, on which they erected saw and stave
mills, two general stores, and cultivate about 800 acres of land, having about 200 cattle
and over seventy-five horses, and while making a specialty of staves and hard wood
lumber, do a general business of a quarter of a million dollars a year. Mr. Holmes still