retains his home in Lyons.
Heck, Augustus, was born in Germany August 2, 1839, son of Philip L. Heck, of
Germany, who came to America in 1848. Two years later he sent for his family. He
was a highly educated man and overseer in a lead mine in Germany. He enlisted in
1861 for three years, was wounded in the battle of Gettysburg and discharged. His
children were : Mrs. Janet Ramish, of Clyde ; Mrs. Caroline Crouse, of Greenbush,
N. Y.; Ernstein (deceased); Mrs. Elizabeth Brown, Henry, Augustus, William and
Alfred. All four brothers were soldiers in the Union army. Our subject enlisted in the
3rd Ohio Cavalry, his principal engagements being Shiloh, Stone River, Chicamauga,
Lookout Mt., Missionary Ridge, and Atlanta. After the war he returned to Huron,
where he has since resided, engaged in the fishing business on Lake Ontario. In 1884
he purchased a farm formerly owned by Daniel Plumb, his wife's father. In 1860 he
married Eliza Ann, daughter of Daniel and Electa (Green) Plumb, who came to Wayne
county in 1820. Mr. and Mrs. Heck have had eight children, of whom six are now
living: Mrs. Mabel Curtis, of Rose; Miss Emma Heck, of Oswego; Mrs. Myrtie
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
Leroy, of Huron ; Mrs. Maggie Davis, of Huron ; Charles A. Heck, and Mrs. Bertha
Gallagher, of Rochester.
66 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
Hoffman, Augustus L., was born in Croghan, Lewis county, August 15, 185G. He with
his father, Frederick, moved to Wayne county in 1863, and in 1864 made his home in
Newark. Augustus L. was educated in Newark Union School. At the age of twenty-
five he married Emma C. Jacoby, daughter of Rev. Levi Jacoby, of Newark, and they
have one son, Levi Fred. After leaving school he learned his father's trade of carpen-
tering, which he followed three years, and in 1875 learned the watchmakers' and
jewelers' business with John E. Stuart, of Newark. In 1881 he removed to Lyons, and
in connection with 0. C. Robinson established the present firm of watchmakers and
jewelers, musical instruments and art pottery, being the leading dealers and carrying
the largest stock in their stores at Lyons and Newark in Wayne county. Mr. Hoffman
is a Republican in politics, was elected trustee of the village in 1890, is also identified in
the leading events of the day and in advancing the best interests of his town, where he
is recognized as a man of sterling character and worth.
Huston, William, born on the Huston homestead in Ontario September 5, 1832, is the
youngest of three sons of Archibald and Laura (Lockwood) Huston, he a native of
Madison county, born January 16, 1799. and she of Penfield, N. Y., born February 8,
1804. Mr. Huston came to Ontario when it was a wilderness and settled on what is
now known as the New Boston road. He bought a farm, cleared a home and built a
log house, having in all 100 acres, fifty of which he sold to our subject. His principal
occupation was farming, but he was a carpenter and joiner by trade. Mr. Huston died
February 25, 1869. Mrs. Huston died in June, 1861. In politics he was a Whig and
Republican, and was justice of the peace and assessor. He was one of the leading
members and supporters of the Baptist church at Ontario Center, which was founded in
1817. He was also deacon in the church, and served in that capacity until his death.
William Huston was reared on the farm and has always been engaged in farming. He
married, December 27, 1854, Mary E., daughter of John and E. Walrod White, of Pen-
field, Monroe count}', he born in 1806, and she in 1808. Mr. White was reared by
William Ross, of Penfield, his father having died when he was quite young. He died
January 16, 1879, and his wife January 7, 1889. Mr. and Mrs. Huston have had one
son and one daughter, Emma L., wife of Willis W. Palmer, boot and shoe merchant, of
Yinton, Iowa, and Fred. S., second engineer in the Barber Asphalt Paving Company,
Buffalo, N. Y. His wife is Carrie Parcell, of West Webster. Mr. Huston is now en-
gaged in general farming and fruit growing on ihe farm he bought of his father. In
politics he is a Republican, and they attend and support the M. E. church.
Harding, Rev. John R., was born in Washington, North Carolina, June 30, 1860
His father, Rev. Israel Harding, was a well-known Episcopal clergyman. John R.
graduated from Union College in 1883, and also graduated in 1887 from the General
Theological Seminary of New York and was ordained July 3, 1887, and received a call
from Lyons Grace Episcopal church while assistant minister of the Church of Messiah
of Brooklyn, coming to Lyons in August, 1891. Finding the society involved, has been
able through the force of his character to reduce the obligations against the society and
to arouse a general interest in the welfare of the church. At the age of twenty-seven
he married Catherine, daughter of Hon. John N. Rountree, of Chicago, and they are
the parents of two children, one of whom is now living, Madelaine.
Hartman, William Louis, was born in Theresa, N. Y., October 29, 1864. His father,.
John Hartman, was a prominent farmer and produce dealer of his town. William Louis
Hartman attended the Hungerford Collegiate Institute at Adams, and was graduated
from the Hahnemann Medical College of Chicago in 1887. He first located at Ant-
werp, where he remained three and a half years, and then entered the Philadelphia
Hospital and took a post-graduate course. In 1891 he came to Clyde and opened an
office, making a specialty of surgery and the eye and ear. In 1893 he was elected pro-
fessor of eye and ear of South Western Homoeopathic Medical College at Louisville, Ky.,
but declined to accept. He married Miss Lena M. Moore. Dr. Hartman is recognized
FAMILY SKETCHES. 0?
as one of the most advanced members of his profession. He is a member of the Jeffer-
son County Medical Society, the Western New York Medical Society, the New York
State Homoeopathic Society, and the American Institute of Homoeopathy.
Hunt, W. A., was born in the town of Galen, January 21, 1856. His father, Will-
iam S., was a native of Rensselaer county, and came to Wayne county in 1837. W.
A. Hunt was educated in the common schools and finished at the Oneida Conference
Seminary at Cazenovia, N. Y., returning to his father's farm in 1886, entered the
Briggs National Bank as bookkeeper, and was promoted to assistant cashier in 1890.
At the age of twenty-six he married Jennie 0., daughter of Fenner T. Palmer, of
Newark, and they have three children : Lester Palmer, Olive M., and Susan B. Our
subject is identified in advancing the best interests of his town, of which he was elected
treasurer in 1892, and again in 1894. He takes an active interest in educational and
religious matters, being a member and also secretary of the official board of the M. E.
Church, is secretary of the Epworth League, and librarian of the M. E. Sunday school.
Hicks, Frank B., merchant, born in West Walworth, June 23, 1859, married, February
28, 1883, Julia N., daughter of William Eldredge. Mr. Hicks is a son of Elias Hicks,
born in Pleasant Valley, Dutchess county, in 1825, and is descended in the seventh
generation from John Hicks, who settled on Long Island in 1639: His father was first
cousin to Elias Hicks, the renowned Quaker preacher. Elizabeth (Howland) Hicks,
his mother, was born in Dutchess county in 1830 and is a daughter of the late Joseph
M. Howland, a descendent of Henry Howland in the seventh generation. Henry set-
tled in Plymouth, Mass., in 1630. On her mother's side she is descended from Edward
Doty, a passenger on the Mayflower. Mr. Hicks was educated at Macedon Academy
and learned the printer's trade in Rochester. He began his present business in 1883,
and succeeded his father, who began in 1864. Mr. Hicks was the founder of the Mace-
don Centre Historical and Genealogical Society and is its president.
Houston, James, was born in the north of Ireland in 1824 of Scotch descent, son of
John and Elizabeth Houston, who came to Canada about 1842. Their children were :
Andrew, William, James, Mrs. Nancy McBride, Mrs. Mary Ann Vickerman, of Michi-
gan, Mrs. Margaret Abernethy and Patrick While young our subject learned the
weaver's trade of his father, and while in Canada followed farming and lumbering. In
1850 he came to Wayne county, purchased a piece of land, later added to it until he
now owns eighty-four acres of choice land, and is very successful. In 1859 he married
Caroline, daughter of Jonas and Sarah Ann (Gest) Whiting, born in Huron in 1830,
and their children are: Anna E., wife of. Stephen Vernoi, of Butler; Mrs. Mary
Andrews, of North Wolcott, and Mrs. Agner Garner, of Huron. Subject and wife are
members of the Wolcott Grange.
Howard, George M., born in Henrietta, Monroe county, November 4, 1819, is the
second of six children of Eleazer and Matilda Howard, natives of Connecticut, who
went to Monroe county and finally to Ohio and then to Illinois, where they both died.
He was a farmer, and he and his brother were first butchers in Rochester. Subject
was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools. ' He went from Monroe
county at the age of twenty-three to Franklin county, Ohio, and there resided until
1881, and came to Marion, where he has since lived. He was married twice; first to
Cordelia Parker, a native of Mexico, N. Y., by whom he had two children, Charlotte
M., deceased, and George D. P. Mrs. Howard died November 9, 1860, and he married
second, in 1864, Maria M. Parker, cousin of his first wife, and daughter of Lucius and
Annie Parker, he a native of Connecticut, and she of Massachusetts. They had three
children. Mr. and Mrs. Parker died in Monroe county. Amos A., brother of Mrs.
Howard, died in the late war. George P., son of subject, married Eliza J. Martin, of
Marion, and they have five children : Archibald E., Viona C, Floyd D., Clive M. and
68 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
Hanby, Joseph H., born in Sodus April 8, 1844, is the oldest of six children of
Charles and Catharine (Gates) Hanby, natives of Yorkshire, England, who came to
Sodus about 1830, where he died in 1886, aged seventy years, and his wife in 1887,
aged seventy-four years. Mr. Hanby had three children by a previous marriage with
Harriet Jackson in England. Our subject was reared on a farm, educated in the com-
mon schools, and followed farming. He came to Williamson in 1879 and in 1886 set-
tled on the farm he now owns of 122 acres, and follows general farming and fruit rais-
ing. He was drafted in 1865 in Company I, 65th N. Y. Infantry, and served until the
close of the war. He is a member of John Hance Post, of Williamson, No. 320. He
married in 1877 Elizabeth Yeomans, a native of Geneva, N. Y., and daughter of George
and Anna Yeomans, natives of England. Mr. Yeomans died in Sodus in 1891, where
his wife still resides. Mr. Hanby and wife have had two children, Charles, who mar-
ried Mary Buckley, of Sodus, and Catharine, wife of William Parkliel, of Williamson,
and resides in Elmira, N. Y,, engaged with the Singer Sewing Machine Company, hav-
ing charge of the office.
Harbou, James B., of Macedon, was born in Canandaigua January 11, 1852, a son of
Fritz Harbou, of Copenhagen, Denmark, who came to this country in 1840. After-
traveling in South America he married Judith Fritcher, daughter of John Fritcher, of
Montgomery county, May 15, 1844, and their children were: Jane M., John W., Mar-
garet, James B., Benetta, George W., and Wilhelmina. He was an architect and
builder, having planned part of the court house in Canandaigua. He enlisted in the
army under Captain Atwood, of Company C, 1st N. Y. I ngineer Corps, and died at
Port Royal Island, S. C, from disease contracted in the army. His wife died in 1862.
Until the spring of 1894 James has always followed farming, but is at present engaged
in no active work. In 1877 he married Helen E. Eldredge, by whom he has had six
children: Lena M., William F., Emma B., Darwin B., Benjamin F. and Helen. Of
these Darwin B., William F , and Helen are deceased. Lena is a student at the Mace-
don Academy. Mr. Harbou is a Granger, and in politics a Republican.
Hibbard, Nettie, is a daughter of Jerome and Achsah Hibbard, of South Butler, is
a business women, being jointly engaged with her brother Fremont in operating the
business established by her late father, well known as the Hibbard Basket Works.
Jerome Hibbard was born in Butler February 20, 1830. In 1853 he married Achsah
Clapp, who survives him. In 1859 he began the study of medicine in the College of
Physicians and Surgeons in New York, from which he graduated in 1861 and was a
practicing physician at Fair Haven at the opening of the war, during which he saw
much hospital service as an assistant surgeon. After the war he began to exercise his
inventive genius, in which direction he possessed wonderful aptitude, securing patents
upon farm gates, and various machinery for simplifying the manufacturing of baskets.
The latter enterprise has from a small beginning grown into an immense business, the
plant now covering two acres, employing twenty-five to forty skilled workmen, and
placing upon the market goods of a standard quality second to none.
Johnson, William R., was born July 21, 1817, in Palmyra. His grandfather, Joseph,
and father, David Johnson, were natives of Morristown, N. J., coming to Palmyra in
the early part of the present century. Joseph, the grandfather, was born September
19, 1757, died December 17, 1825. David, the father of William R., was born January
25, 1791, died April 26, 1874. In 1816 he married Cynthia Rogers, who died June 5,
1835, at the age of forty eight. By this marriage six children were born, five boys and
one girl: William R., Joseph, Harriet, David, Charles D. and Henry M. Joseph died
in infancy, and Harriet at the age of twenty-one; the others still survive, and all reside
in Palmyra, N. Y. David is engaged in the furniture and undertaking business, under
the firm name of Drake & Johnson ; Charles D. in the produce and commission trade,
and Henry M. is a dealer in nursery stock. In 1836 he married, for his second wife,
Mrs. Julia Case, and by this marriage two children were born : Caroline, who became
FAMILY SKETCHES. 09
the wife of 0. D. Foster, and Isabella, who married George H. Townsend, both
residing near Palmyra village. For several years David was engaged in custom tailor-
ing, and subsequently located on what is now known as the George Cornwall farm
situated on the town line between Palmyra and Manchester. In the year 1844 Will-
iam R., the subject of this sketch married Lucy Wilson, who with her widowed mother
came from Cornwall, Conn. Soon after marriage they located on the farm now owned
by the David Aldrich heirs, then in the possession of Thomas Rogers. About the year
1849 he, with his brother David, purchased what was then known as the Dugan farm
situated on the Marion road, two miles north of Palmyra, where he has since resided,
having purchased from his brother David his interest in the farm in the year 1851.
Mr. and Mrs. Johnson were parents of the following children : Carlton R., William H.,
George S., Harriet S., Charles H., and Lucy M. Carlton died at the age of twenty-
three while pursuing a course of study at Yale College. William, with his younger
brother Charles, who married Catharine Hathaway, occupy the home farm; George
married May C. Foster, is a shoe merchant in Palmyra village, of the firm of Johnson &
Rogers; Harriet married Henry A. Rumrill, and resides in the village; Lucy May mar-
ried John H. Walton, and lives on a farm one mile northwest of Palmyra village.
After a marriage life of forty-seven years Mrs. William R. Johnson passed quietly and
peacefully away, January 18, 1891, at the age of sixty-nine.
Hance, De Witt C, was born in Williamson, April 26, 1843. He was educated in
the common schools and Marion Collegiate Institute. He owns 130 acres of land, and
follows general farming and fruit raising. He was master of the Williamson Grange
ten years, of which he was a charter member. January 1, 1879, he married Mary,
daughter of Richard Whitbourn, by whom he has had four children : Samuel R., Harriet
I., Elizabeth C, and John S. The father of our subject, Benjamin J. Hance, was born
in Farmmgton, Ontario county, October 11, 1815, the oldest of eight children of Samuel,
born in 1781, and Margaret (Pound) Hance. The great-grandfather, Benjamin, born
in 1759, was a native of Calvert county, Md., and came to Ontario county in 1802. His
wife was Sarah Dare, by whom he had five children. The family was of English
descent, and settled in Maryland in 1680. Samuel Hance died in 1872, aged ninety-one
years, and his wife in 1880, aged ninety-two. Our subject was reared on a farm and
educated in the common schools. He has always been a farmer, and owns seventy-five
acres of land. He married, August 15, 1839, Phoebe Ridgway, a native of New Jer-
sey, by whom he has had four children : Samuel, killed at Reams Station in the late
war; John, who was in the same regiment, and died of disease contracted in the ser-
vice; De Witt C, a farmer of Williamson; Frank, who resides in California. He was
supervisor of his town, first elected in 1860, and held the office until 1874, was justice of
the peace four years, and is a member of the Williamson Grange.
Jordan, E. T., was born in Columbia county in 1837, and came with his parents in the
same year to Macedon, where they lived eight years. They next removed to their
present farm of sixty acres, which they purchased of Nathan Durfee. John and Marga-
ret A. Jordan, parents of our subject, were born in Columbia county. The father died
in 1889, and the mother resides with her son, E. T. Jordan. The latter married in 1886
Agnes P. Yosburg, from Columbia county, and their children are: William, born in
1869, now a resident of Newark, O.; John A., teacher in Ontario, who resides at home ;
Mrs. Jordan died in 1876, and he married second in 1889 Jane M. Miller, also from
Johnson, William R., was born July 21, 1817, in Palmyra, a son of David and Cynthia
Johnson, who located here at an early day. His father, David, was born in Rhode
Island and came with his parents to Palmyra. He followed the occupation of a tailor
during the early part of his life, and. then located on a farm sn the town of Manchester,
near Palmyra village. His first wife, mother of our subject, died at the age of forty-
eight years, and for his second wife he married Mrs. Julia Case. His children by his
70 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
first wife were, viz. : William R. ; Joseph, who died in infancy ; Harriet, who died at
the age of twenty-one years ; David, a resident of Palmyra village, engaged in the
furniture trade; Charles D., produce dealer, also a resident of Palmyra village; and
Henry M.. a dealer in nursery stock. By his second wife he had two children, viz. :
Caroline, wife of Dwight Foster, of East Palmyra; and Isabelle, wife of George Town-
send, near Palmyra village. William R. married Lucy Wilson, who, with his widowed
mother, came from Connecticut. After marriage they moved' on the farm now occupied
by the David Aldrich family. Subsequently he. in company with his brother David,
bought the farm where he now resides (about 1849), and where he has since resided.
Mr. and Mrs. Johnson were the parents of the following named children, viz. : Carlton
R., who died in his twenty-third year, while a student (his last year) in Yale College;
William H. ; George S., shoe dealer of Palmyra village ; Hattie S., wife of Henry Rum-
rill, of Palmyra village ; Charles H. ; Lucy May, wife of John Walton, of Palmyra. The
mother of the aforesaid children died January 18, 1891.
Jordon, William H., was born in Columbia county, February 9, 1817. His father,
Daniel Jordon, was also a native of Columbia county, born May 17, 1791, and his
mother, Polly Hoffman, was born August 18, 1705. Mr. Jordon, the father, settled in
Macedon in 1841, and engaged in farming. His family consisted of nine children, in-
cluding William H., who is now seventy- seven years of age. William H. Jordon has
followed the same occupation as his father, and has been engaged in farming all his life.
In 1871 he married Delia A. Troop, of Port Gibson. They are members of the Baptist
church. Mr. Jordon is a Republican.
Jepson, Charles B., was born in Madison county in 1825. and is the son of Eli Jepson,
a native of Vermont (born in 1794, and died in 1858), and Mary (Burlington) Jepson
(born in 1796, and died in 1865), a native of Rhode Island. Our subject married Cyn-
thia Badger in 1848 at Cicero, Onondaga county, of which she was a native, born in
1828, They have had two sons: Eli, born in 1849; and William, born in 1874, both
residents of this place, where Mr. Jepson has resided for forty years without interrup-
tion. He is a Knight Templar, and has been treasurer of Lodge No. 764 for twelve
years. He is now retired from business, and he and wife occupj r a pleasant home on
Main street. He has been president of Savannah village three years.
Jennings, Henry, was born in Southport, Fairfield county, Conn., February 5. 1821,
and at the age of twelve came with his father, Joshua, to Ontario county in 1832, set-
tling in the town of Phelps on a farm. Henry was educated in the common schools,
being able to attend school only during the winter time. At the age of twenty-two he
married Mary, daughter of John Humphrey, of Phelps, Ontario county, and they are
the parents of two sons, John H. and Burr. In 1867 he came to Lyons, and in 1868
bought the S. D. Westfall farm of 208 acres, raising hay, grain and stock, and making
a specialty of mint distilling, producing from 1,500 to 3,000 pounds a year. He has
also engaged in cidermaking. Our subject is one of the largest and most success-
ful farmers in his town, taking an intelligent interest in educational and religious mat-
Jennings, Loren, born in Ontario, Wayne county, June 21, 1822, is the sixth of a
family of six sons and six daughters of Dauiel and Polly (Clarke) Jennings, he a native
of Burlington, Vt., she of Coleraine, Mass. Mr. Jennings in 1810 bought the home-
stead of fifty acres; he afterward bought of Joel Sabin fifty acres east of his first pur-
chase, and in 1828 built a saw mill, where many thousand feet of lumber were annually
sawed. Aside from farming he did much work as carpenter and millwright. In politics
he was a Whig, and later a Republican. He died in 1868, his wife in 1862. His place
is now owned by Mrs. Mary Palmer and heirs, and is situated on the Lakeside road.
His son, Loren Jennings, was born and raised on the homestead farm, assisted in clear-
ing land, farming, and running the saw mill, which, with the dozen other mills on the
FAMILY SKETCHES. 71
same stream, was supplied with logs from the adjoining heavy timbered land. He
bought forty acres south of and adjoining the old homestead, cleared and built a log
house and set out an orchard amidst the stumps. Some of the trees of this orchard are
yet in bearing, and a few measure over six feet in circumference. Later Loren Jennings
bought fifty acres across the road which had formerly been owned by his brother
Charles. On this he built his permanent dwelling, where he still resides. He married Oc-
tober 21, 1849, Rosetta B. Grinnell, of Webster, by whom he had one son, Wellington M.,
who is now assistant superintendent in the Barber Asphalt Paving Company of Buffalo^
N. Y. Mrs. Jennings died in 1851, and he married second, Sarah O. daughter of
William and Mary (Hinman) Huston, he of Rupert, N, Y., she of Clinton, Oneida
county, N. Y. By his wife, Sarah O, he had two sons and three daughters. The
daughters died young. Walter S. is a bookkeeper for the Barber Asphalt Company,
and Fred. L. is foreman at the crusher for the same company. Four years ago, on ac-
count of disability, Mr. Jennings retired from farming. He still lives on the place, but
it is worked by a tenant. On the farm are raised hay, grain, and fruits. The land is
rolling and with a variety of soil which adapts it for mixed farming. With the sur-
rounding pleasing scenery, a fair view of the blue waters of old Ontario, it is picturesque
and beautiful. Many Indian arrow heads are picked up by laborers in the fields. There
was in earlier days a tangle of uprooted trees, forming a deer thicket on the farm, and
often when the deer were driven by hunters from shelter they would take to the lake
for safety in its waters, but many were there shot and brought to shore. In politics
Mr. Jennings is Republican, his first presidential vote being cast for William H. Har-
rison. He was a charter member of the old Ontario Center Grange, and instigator and