George Washington Cowles.

Landmarks of Wayne County, New York online

. (page 63 of 107)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

founder of South Shore Grange No. 552, to which order he and his wife still belong.
Though in sympathy with present forms of religion, as far as it goes to enlighten, en-
noble, and better the condition of the human race, both he and his wife are independ-
ent in their beliefs.

Jones, Harvey, was born in Webster, October 17, 1830, the oldest son of twelve
children born to Chester and Hannah (Millard) Jones, he a native of Connecticut, and
she of Rhode Island. They came to Webster in an early day, where they both died.
Our subject was educated in the common schools, has been a saw mill man, has been
engaged in mercantile business at Union Hill, also a dealer in lumber two years and
coal twelve years. He is now engaged in farming, has eighty acres of land, and fol-
lows general farming and fruit raising. He is a Democrat, has been justice of the peace
five years, and is now serving his second term as assessor. He and wife are members
of the M. E. church. He married in 1851 Orlena M. Milliman, a native of New York,
and adopted daughter of Amos Wager, of Webster, N. Y. Mr. Jones and wife have
had three children : Zardus, died in infancy ; Eva, wife of Rosman Dayton, by whom
she has four children : Frank J., Harvey E., Allen R., and Annie A.; Chester, H., who
married Nettie Niveson, by whom he has two children : Elmer C. and Esda N. The
maternal grandfather of our subject was a captain in the Revolutionary War. His name
was Samuel Millard, aged 81 when he died.

Johnson, J. Irvin, was born August 15, 1852. His father, William S. Johnson, was
a native of Manchester, N. Y., he was born in 1817. His occupation was that of a
farmer. He married Ann M. Slocum, of Adams, Mass., who lived at the time of their
marriage in Monroe county. In 1864 they removed to the town of Macedon, where he
resided at the time of his death in 1893. They were the parents of two children : J.
Irvin Johnson, and Mary Frances, now Mrs. Thomas Maculey, who resides on the old
Johnson homestead. J. Irvin was a farmer up to the time he engaged in the nursery
business. In 1883 he married Emma A. Hanna, of Palmyra, N. Y. She died in 1891,
leaving no children. In 1893 he married his second wife, May A. Hannah, daughter of
the late Dr. Geo. W. Hanna, of Mendon, N. Y. He first advertised in 1882, known to
the trade as Brook Side Nurseries, making a specialty of small fruits and other fine



72 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.

nursery stock. He also has several evaporators, doing immense business summer and
fall in berries and apples. He has at present from 25 to 35 acres of choice nursery
stock. He is a shipper to all parts of the United States. His trade is mostly whole-
sale, and his customers are the leading firms of this country. His home and surroundings
is one of the finest in the county, and through his close application to business and
honorable dealing he has won the respect and confidence of those whom he has delt
with. In politics he is a Republican, and a member of the Grange. Mary F. Maculey
was born November 2, 1844, in the town of Manchester. In 1875 she married Thomas
Maculey, of Manchester, and to them were born three children : William, Charles, and
Lula. Charles died in infancy. Mrs. Maculey 's occupation is that of farming and berry
culture.

Kennedy, Charles R., was born in Camden, N. J., July 28, 1864. His father, Thomas
G., was a prominent electrician in the employ of the Western Union Telegraph Com-
pany. Charles R. was educated in Clyde and in New York, after which he entered the
employ of a banking house in Wall street, New York. In 1888 he entered the employ
of John C. Lloyd & Co., importers and jobbers of coffees, as head bookkeeper, and in
1888 came to Clyde and engaged in the malting business, in which he is now engaged,
having an average output of 100,000 bushels of malt per year. At the age of twenty-
five he married Juliette C, daughter of Hon. James C. Lamoreaux.

Kellogg. Edward H., is the only son of Dr. A. D. Kellogg, of Wolcott, born Decem-
ber 22, 1855. He attended Leavenworth Institute at Wolcott, and received an academic
education. He spent two years traveling in the West after leaving school. Returning
to Wolcott he entered the law office of J. W. Hoag, and was admitted to the bar in
June, 1881. In 1888 he married Mary Lillian, daughter of the late Wilson Dewitt, of
Wolcott, who became the mother of two sons and one daughter. Mr. Kellogg is a
strong Republican, and besides a good legal practice is occupied with the duties of police
justice of Wolcott village, and justice of the peace of the town. He was clerk of the
Board of Supervisors four years, from 1889 to 1892 inclusive. He was also for several
years secretary of the Republican Committee of Wayne county.

Kellecutt, Charles Boynton, was born in Huron, August 23, 1852, a son of George,
a native of Saratoga county, born April 7, 1807, who was a son of David Kellecutt. a
native of Osweeo county. George was a farmer, and came to Huron about 1837. He
married twice, first, Delilah Brooks, by whom he had five children : Zilpha, Margaret,
Charlotte, Caroline, and Delilah. His second wife was Mrs. Abigail (Boynton) Preston,
and subject was their only child. They raised two children: Catherine A., and Caroline
A., the infant twin daughters of the dead patriot, Daniel Keeslar, of Huron. They are
now Mrs. D. H. Evans, and Mrs. P. Winans, of Barry county, Mich. Mr. Kellecutt
died in November, 1892, and his wife in January, 1883. Our subject is a prominent
man in his town, owns the homestead farm of sixty acres, and makes a specialty of
fruit growing. In 1873 he married Alice S., the fourth of seven children of William G.
and Sarah (Roberts) Guthrie, and they have one child, Eva Mae, born January 19,
1878. Mr. Kellecutt and wife are members of the Wolcott Grange, in politics he is a
Republican, and has served as collector one term, inspector, and justice of the peace.

Keller, Jacob, was born in Cherry Yalley, Otsego county, March 17, 1799. His
parents were Germans. He came to Newark, Wayne county, in 1825. He was first a
hatter by trade, then a farmer. He owned a good farm and was one of the substantial
men of the town. He retired from business in the year 1870 and for his third wife
married Miss Amanda Vanderbilt, of Lyons, N. Y., May 17, 1876. Mr. Keller died
July 4. 1884. Mrs. Keller's father, Abram H. Vanderbilt, was born in New Jersey
August 7, 1798, of Holland Dutch descent, and came to Lyons, Wayne county, at the
age of fourteen years. He married Julia A. Pat on, daughter of William Paton, April
16, 1820. They. had ten children: Sarah A., Amanda, Mary, Elizabeth, William, John,



FAMILY SKETCHES. 73

Abram, Helenah, Newell, Julia. Mr. Vanderbilt died October 22, 1841. His wife
died April 3, 1872. William Paton came from Scotland and settled in Lyons, Wayne
county, in the year 1794. He married Eleanor Van Wickle March 15, 1801. They
had four children : John, Julia A., Evert, Mary. Mr. Paton died September 2, 1843.
His wife died May 14, 1815. Abram Vanderbilt, jr., was born at Lyons May 31, 1835,
was educated in the district schools and the Union School at Lyons. He followed
farming several years. December 22, 1859, he married Jennie A. Sparks, of Galen.
They had three children : Emily J., Oscar T., Cora L. Mr. Vanderbilt enlisted August
22, 1862, in Company D, 138th N. Y. Vol., which was transferred to the 9th Heavy
Artillery. He was wounded at Cold Harbor, his jaw being shattered, and was on the
field three days without food or water. He received an honorable discharge from the
hospital at Washington January 31, 1865. He is a member of Vosburg Post No. 99,
G. A. R.

Koester, George W., was born in Rochester, N. Y., October 18, 1863. His father,
Charles, came from Alsace-Lorraine in 1860. He first settled in Rochester, but soon
came to Lyons and engaged in the brewing business, acquiring a wide reputation for
business ability. George W. was educated in the Lyons Union School, and is a gradu-
ate of the Massachusetts College of Pharmacy, and after graduating established a man-
ufacturing wholesale and retail drug business, making a specialty of fine perfumes and
toilet articles. At the age of twenty- eight he married Elizabeth, daughter of Cornelius
Haitz, of Lyons. He is a Republican and was elected town clerk in 1888-1889 ; in
1893 was elected president of the village of Lyons, and in 1894 was elected supervisor
of his town. Our subject is one of the best known men in his town, of recognized
business ability, taking an active interest in educational and public matters and identi-
fied in the leading events of the day. He has been master of Humanity Lodge, E. &
A. M. two years, is a member of Newark Chapter Royal Arch Masons, and Zenobia
Commandery, Knights Templar. He is a man whose life has proven his word to be as
good as his bond.

Kinney, W. H., was born at Belfast, Allegany county, April 27, 1856. His father
David, is a nati e of Union, Conn., whose ancestors came from Holland in the middle
of the seventeenth century. He married Esther A. Hanks, whose family came from
Birmingham, England, in 1700 and settled in Plymouth colony. He is a farmer.
W. H. Kinney began his education in Genesee Valley Seminary at Belfast, N. Y., grad-
uated at Genesee Normal School in 1876 and Rochester University in 1880. In 1881
he was principal of the Victor public school, from 1881 to 1888 was principal of the
Cuba Union School at Cuba, N. Y., and in 1888 came to Lyons as principal of the Lyons
Union School, having an average attendance of 806 pupils, which is an increase of 200
since 1888, the academic department having nearly doubled during that time. At the
age of twenty-six he married Annie, daughter of Joel Macafee, of Athens, Pa. They
are the parents of two children, Price W. and Edith. Our subject is identified in
advancing the best interests of his town, and in the leading events of the day.

Kline, Mrs. Rebecca (Petersen), was born in St. Magnus, Germany, in 1821, daughter
of Henry and Johannah Petersen, and is one of seven children. She came to America
in 1847, starting from Germany, the first day of May and landed in New York the
twelfth day of June. On July 3 of the same year she married Lewis Kline, who was
born in Hanover, Germany, in 1820. They staid on Staten Island until June, 1848,
then they came to Clyde on a canal boat, thence to Huron, where they engaged with
Benjamin Lummis on a farm. Eight years later he purchased a farm, added to it aud
provided each of their children with farms. Their children are: Lewis, born in 1848;
Henry, born in 1849; Aaron, born in 1852 ; John, born in 1856 ; Max, born in 1857 ;
Matie, born in 1862, wife of Andrew Thomas, of Huron. Mr. Kline was a member of
the Huron Grange and died in 1893. Mrs. Kline is a lady highly esteemed by all who
know her and is also a member of the Huron Grange,
j



74 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.

Kelley, Albert E., M. D., was born in lone City, California, December 24, 1864, and
came to Arcadia with his parents when three years old. He was educated in the
Union School and Academy at Newark, studied medicine with Dr. Landon and attended
lectures in the medical department of the University of the City of New York, gradu-
ating from that institution in 1891. He practiced in Rochester until 1893, when he
opened an office here and has a successful practice. His father, Charles H. Kelley, was
born in Chatham, Columbia county, October 29, 1823 He was educated in the select
schools of his day, and graduated from Geneva Medical College in 1850. He went to
California, where he followed his profession some time, and returned October 7, 1858.
He married Josephine E. Ostrander, of Oneida county, and returned to California.
They had two sons and two daughters : Charles L., who is a civil engineer in Mexico ;
Carrie, who died in infancy ; Albert E., as above, and Genevieve I., who married Ray
Burleigh and resides in the town. The family returned to this locality in 1866. Our
subject's father is a retired physician at East Newark. Dr. Albert E. is the health
physician of the town of Arcadia.

Kellogg, A. D., who has practiced medicine here nearly fifty years, was born in 1818
at Ira, Cayuga county, N. Y. His father, Silas Kellogg, was a man of much local
prominence, supervisor of Ira for a number of years, and died in 1862, at the age of
seventy-three Our subject acquired a medical education at Geneva, and began homeo-
pathic practice in 1847. He married in 1848 Araminta V., daughter of Ebenezer Cur-
tis, of Victory, Cayuga county, N. Y. Their children are: Alice M., born October 19,
1849, now the wife of E. L. Cooper, of Williamson ; Day H., born January 21, 1852,
died December 10, 1875 ; Lida V., born March 17, 1854 ; and Edward H., whose biog-
raphy appears elsewhere in this volume. Ebenezer Curtis, father of Mrs. Kellogg, was
a man of considerable renown in his native place, besides being a justice and super-
visor he was elected to the Assembly in 1847. He died in 1884 at the age of ninety-
one.

Legg. Orsborn Lafayette, was born in Speedsville, Tompkins county, September 27,
1845. His father, Lyman, was a son of Lyman Legg, and came to Wayne county in
1849. His wife was Sarah Blinn, and their children are: Mary, wife of William J.
Harmon, of Rochester, Orsborn L., Edward, and Delancey. At the age of fourteen
our subject began life for himself. When twenty-one years of age he learned the ma-
son's trade and followed it in different States until 1890, when he came to Huron,
where he has since been engaged in farming. In 1869 he married Hulda, daughter of
John and Marv A. Brown, of Huron, and they have one son, Irving, born September
5, 1874.

Lent, J. H., was born in Otsego county, N. Y., December 3, 1830. He settled on a
farm in the town of Macedon, March 28, 1863, and has been engaged in farming all his
life. His farm consists of 102 acres, fifteen acres being woodland. In 1863 he mar-
ried Susan K. Jackson, daughter of B. H. J. Jackson, of Macedon. They are the par-
ents of seven children, all of whom, except the elder two, are living: at home with their
parents. Mr. Lent is a member of the M. E. church. In politics he is a Democrat.

Lane, Charles, was born April 27, 1852, a son of Francis B., one of the prominent
farmers in the town, and now resides on the same farm which was cleared by Ziba
Lane, his grandfather. The latter was born in 1789 in Maine, and after the War of
1812, at the age of twenty-five, he came to Wayne county, this State, making his way
through the forest with his yoke of cattle and wagon containing his family and goods.
Here he located on lot 80 and built a log cabin, making his chimney of sticks and mud
and filling the spaces between the logs with mud. A blanket served as a door, and
greased cloths were their only window glass. Ziba felled the first tree that was cut in
this region, and many are the interesting stories handed down to his family of the hard-
ships endured that first year. His son, Francis, has added largely to the original estate,



FAMILY SKETCHES. 75

having bought the farms of Luther Lane, Levi Lane, Michael Hortzel, Peter Snyder, and
H. W. Putney, some of the best farm lands in Wayne county, as well as being one of
the largest producers of fruit, hay, grain and stock. Francis married Martha, daughter
of Samuel Spear of Valatie, Columbia county, and of their four children Charles is the
only survivor, and manages the estate. Ziba Lane, great-grandfather of Charles, "was
born in Bedford, Mass., in 1756, and married in 1778 Lydia Danforth, of Billerica,
Mass. They came to this State in 1814, coming from England to this country in 1620.

Lookup, William, born in Marion, February 26, 1820, is the son of John and Sarah
Lookup, he a native of England, and she of Rhode Island. He came to America and
afterwards returned to England. The mother remained in Marion, where she died No-
vember 29, 1843. Mr. Lookup commenced work very young. He has always lived on
a farm and now owns 127 acres of land. He served his town as road commissioner
from 1877 to 1886. He was married twice, first to Eliza Garlock in 1844, a native of
Fort Plain, N. Y., and daughter of Jacob Garlock. To them five children were born,
one died in infancy. The others are: Sarah (deceased), wife of Jacob Morrison, by
whom she had five children ; George, who married Delia Crouch, and has six children ;
William H. who married Nellie Kitchen, and has one child, Eva; Eliza, wife of Fay-
ette Davies, by whom she has five children. The four children who grew up were edu-
cated at the Marion Collegiate Institute. Both sons are farmers, William having been
engaged for a time in produce dealing. Mr. Lookup was the second time married to
Mrs. Helen Delaney, April 7, 1859, who died suddenly November 14, 1874.

Lovejoy, Nelson, has for almost fifty years been a central figure in the life of North
Wolcott. He was born in the town of Ross, June 14, 1823, the son of Silas and Anna
(Nochols) Lovejoy, most of whose married life was spent in that town and who reared
a family of seven children. Silas Lovejoy reached the age of eighty-six years, and his
son bids fair to present a similar case of longevity. February 11, 1844, he married
Charity, daughter of Richard D. Morey, of Rose, and of their six children but two are
living : Ellen, the wife of N. J. Field, and the only son, Eron N. Two children died
in early infancy, and two daughters, Theresa and Elizabeth, are also deceased.

Landon, Dr. Newell E., was born in Newark, March 3, 1852, was educated in the
Union School and the Academy, and read medicine with Dr. Pomeroy. Later he at-
tended lectures at the College of Physicians\fc Surgeons of New York city, from which
he graduated in 1876. "Upon his return he formed a partnership with Dr. Pomeroy,
which existed four years, when he began practice on his own account. He is a mem-
ber of the Wayne County Medical Society, the Central New York Medical Society, the
New York State Medical Association, and of the American Medical Association. He
is also a member of the National Association of Railway Surgeons, division surgeon
of the West Shore Railroad, and also of the Pennsylvania Central Railway Company,
and consulting physician of the Custodial Asylum of Newark. He is a member of
Newark Lodge No. 83, F. & A. M. , of Newark Chapter No. 1 17, R. A. M. He married,
January 1, 1880, Mary E. Eaton, of Newark, who died December, 1881. October 20,
1886, he married Alice Russell, of Port Gibson, Ontario county.

Laird, John B., of Savannah, was born in Elbridge, April 24, 1833, a son of Chauncey
B. and Sally (Adams) Laird, and one of their twelve children. His grandparents, John
and Polly (Boyd) Laird, were among the first settlers of that place. Our subject was
educated at Falley Seminary, Cazenovia Seminary, and the Collegiate Institute at El-
bridge, and he taught school with success at Jordan and Baldwinsville. March 22,
1858, he married Sarah A., daughter of Daniel Bates, of Jordan, a graduate of Jordan
Academy, who was a successful teacher for eleven years, chiefly at Jordan, Memphis
and Elbridge. Mr. and Mrs. Laird have occupied their present home on the farm,
comprising 160 acres, a mile north of Savannah, for over twenty-six years, Mr. Laird's
specialties being dairy productions, poultry and eggs, which latter he ships to Bridge-
port, Conn.



7(5 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.

Lake, Luther S., was born in Guilderland, Albany ccunty, October 17, 1864, gradu-
ated from the Paterson, N. J., Business College in 1883 and struck out in life for him-
self. He came to Lyons in May, 1885, with less than a dollar of capital, and entered
the employ of Mann & Radder as bookkeeper. He was afterwards employed in the
same capacity by George Mapes, Charles fl. Radder and Louis E. Wolfe. In March,
1888, he purchased the fire insurance agency of Johnson & Rogers and founded the
general insurance, real estate and loan agency of L. S. Lake & Co. at No. 65 William
street. He associated with himself in business Charles A. Pulver, of Sodus, and War-
ren W. Crittenden, of Phelps, the latter member retiring from the firm in 1890, and
being succeeded by Lizzie S. Lake. At the age of twenty-three he married Lizzie S.,
daughter of Frank Smith, of Lyons. Our subject is recognized as one of the most
energetic business men of his town, identified in advancing its best interests and deeply
interested in the leading events of the day.

Lapham, Stephen W., was born in 1834 on the farm where he now resides. His
father, John Lapham, born in 1791, was a native of Massachusetts, coming with his
parents to this locality in 1792. In 1818 he married Salome Porter and settled on the
farm now owned and occupied by his son. In 1847-48 Mr. John Lapham was a mem-
ber of the Legislature. His family consisted of ten children, four of whom are now
living : Esther A. Hill, of Buffalo, Elizabeth N., Stephen W. and Ellen C. Wilcoxen.
Stephen W. Lapham has always followed farming and is still in possession of the old
homestead of 170 acres. In October, 1858, he married Helen M. Arnold, of Madison
county. In politics Mr. Lapham is a Republican.

Lawrence, Walter, was born in New Jersey, November 21, 1825. His father,
Walter Lawrence, sr., was also a native of that State, and was a carpenter, following
his trade in New York city for a time, while he lived in New Jersey. Later he came
to Farmington, Ontario county, to reside, and afterwards to Macedon, where he took
up farming. He married Susan Johnson, of New Jersey, by whom he had nine chil-
dren, of whom Walter, jr., was the sixth. The latter has been engaged in farming all
his life, and at present owns eighty-nine acres of fine land, being largely engaged in
fruit raising. He married Phoebe F. Fritts, a native of Orange county, where they
were married, and to them have been born nine children. In politics Mr. Lawrence is
a Republican.

Lyon, Samuel, was born in Port Chester, N. Y., August 16, 1837. He is the oldest
of the three children of William and Elizabeth A. Lyon. William Lyon was born in
June, 1811, in the town of Greenwich, Conn., and died December 16, 1859. Elizabeth
A. (Sands) Lyon, his wife, was born in Newcastle, Westchester county, N. Y., May 28,
1813, and now resides at Port Chester, N. Y. Samuel Lyon was reared in the village of
Port Chester, N. Y., and in 1867 came to Pultneyville, in the town of Williamson, and
engaged in the mercantile business, and later was engaged in the importation'and manu-
facture of lumber at Pultneyville, N. Y., and afterwards was interested in the manu-
facture of woolen goods at Port Byron, N. Y. Mr. Lyon is a Republican in politics,
and has been a justice of the peace for twenty years. He was married April 22, 1868,
to Georgiana Allen, a daughter of the late Alfred Allen, of Pultneyville, and formerly
of Cayuga county, N. Y. Mr. Lyon was educated in the select schools of his native
town, and Friends' Nine Partners Boarding School in Dutchess county, N. Y., and Mrs.
Lyon is a graduate of the Brockport Collegiate Institute at Brockport, N. Y.

Long, Charles, was born in Pennsylvania, April 25, 1826, a son of Charles Long, who
came to Seneca county in 1829, residing at various times in the towns ofWaterloo, Fayette,
Seneca Falls, and Tyre, settling in Galen in 1844. In 1861 he was struck and killed by
an express train at Savannah, being then seventy-one years of age, and with hearing
much impaired. Charles Long's early education was acquired in the common schools,
to which he has added by reading and close observation, being a self-made man. After



FAMILY SKETCHES. 77

leaving school he returned to his father's farm, of which he took charge at the age of
sixteen. At the age of twenty-seven years he married Martha A., daughter of Josiah
Snyder, of Savannah, and they have four children : Mrs. C. 0. Wylie; Mrs. F. S. Hall ;
Mrs. John H. Newton; and Mrs. John H. Rose. Mrs. Martha A. Long died in 1886,
a woman widely known for her Christian traits of character. In 1890 Mr. Long mar-
ried Frances A., daughter of Ira Davis, of Savannah. Our subject is one of the promi-
nent men of the town, having held the office of assessor three years, and taking intelli-
gent interest in all the leading questions of the day.

Lang, Philip, was born in Al*ace, Germany, in 1806. In 1832 he came to the United
States with his parents and five sisters, and settled on the farm where he now resides.
At the age of thirty-two years he married Miss Margaret Wagner, daughter of Henry
Wagner, of Galen. There were five children born to them, three of whom are now
living: Mrs. Caroline Wiseman, of Ontario, Cal. ; Geo. H., of Galen ; and Miss Elizabeth,