George Washington Cowles.

Landmarks of Wayne County, New York online

. (page 64 of 107)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

who resides with her father on the old homestead. Later he married Miss Minnie
Grosscup, his former wife having died in 1849. The children of this marriage are:
Philip, jr. (deceased) ; Mrs. Mary Unger, of Buffalo ; and Mrs. Minnie Eller, of Chicago,
after the birth of whom his second wife died also. He is a man of sterling worth,
whose counsel and advice is often sought by his friends and neighbors. He takes an
active interest in educational and religious matters, and is one of the largest farmers of
Wayne.

Little, Henry M., was born December 8, 1853, in Macedon. John Little, his father,
was born in 1819. His occupation was farming and drover, handling cattle, sheep,
hogs, etc. For nearly twenty years of his early life he shipped stock to the New York
markets from many different States. He held the office of justice of the peace two terms
in Murray. In 1851 he married Harriet T. Allen, by whom he had three children:
Henry M., our subject; Emma; and Mary; the latter being deceased. Our subject is
engaged in farming, and the breeding of blooded stock, also in the drug business. He
was educated at Hulberton and Macedon, where he finished. He has been commissioner
of highways, and for the last two years has been president of the village. He has been
vice-president of the Trotting Horse Breeders' Association of the State of New York
for seven years, has many times acted as judge on stock at prominent fairs in the State,
and is a member of the A. 0. U. W., and the Knights of the Maccabees. He married
in 1875, and has two children : Allen T., and Mable D.

Loveless, Ransom, born in Wolcott (now Butler), Wayne county, N. Y., February,
28, 1818, is the son of Ransom Loveless, who was born in Montgomery county, N. Y.,
1791, and came to Onondaga county, N. Y., 1800, an orphan; there accumulated $500 ;
married Mary Hodges, moved to Allegany county, N. Y., lost all of his property, came
to Wolcott (now Butler, Wayne county), in 1816, and by his indomitable will and
energy accumulated $45,000 at death, August 1, 1864. Ransom Loveless, jr., being the
elder of ten surviving children (three others having died about two years of age) saw
many hardships and privations, especially obtaining of rudiments of an education, which
was wholly neglected until twenty years of age, then seeing and feeling the want of an
education, began the acquisition of same by attending school in Butler, Victory, Red
Creek, all in Wayne county; Elbridge. Onondaga county, and Cazenovia, Madison
county (all of which places are in New York). In 1884 commenced the study of law
at Lyons, Wayne county, N. Y\, soon abandoned same because of poor health. Dur-
ing intervals attending school at the above places, taught school, taught four winters
afterwards and after marriage. August 17, 1845, married Jane M. Lamoreux, who was
born in Putnam county, N. Y., October 14, 1818, and same year moved to Michigan,
taught school during winter, returned in spring, followed farming summers, teaching
winters until 1852, when he abandoned teaching and followed farming to date, August
2, 1894. Having owned and disposed of 356 acres of land, and now owns forty-three
acres. Have made building and set orchards, needless to mention. Having been born



78 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.

and bred to manhood in ignorance; at that date he knew little of politics, and was car-
ried along and believed as his father did, who was at first a Republican, anti-Mason,
Whig, and lastly a Republican again. With the lights before him now he stands a Jef-
fersonian Democr. t, except as to a revision of our present banking system, his views of
which remain '"lex non scripta."

McGinniss, Michael, is the son of James and Bridget (Whalen) McG-inniss, of County
Meath, Ireland, who were married, May 8, 1853, and immediately sailed for America,
coming to Montezuma, Cayuga county, where subject was born March 8, 1854. The
elder McGinniss received a collegiate education in Dublin. He came to Savannah in
1857, and died here September 24, 1878, and his wife died June 12, 1892. They
left a family of six sons and four daughters, of whom but three are now living, two
sons, Sylvester and Peter, being residents of Buffalo. Michael received a good com-
mon school education and began life in earnest at the age of twelve. In 1870 he
entered the employ of the New York Central Railroad, being promoted in 1874 to sec-
tion foreman, a position he still holds. February 9, 1878, he married Angeline. daugh-
ter of James Murphy, of Clyde, she being a sister of Mrs. Alex Gregg, of Savannah.
They had seven children : Mary Ellen, born December 9, 1878; James, born May 8,
1880, and died in infancy ; Elizabeth, born June 9, 1881 ; Catherine, born October 14,
1883; Angeline, born October ] 7, 1886; Frances, born November 4, 1888; and Peter,
born November 15, 1891. Elizabeth Catherine and Angeline fell victims to the dread-
ful epidemic of diphtheria, which visited Savannah in 1893. They were recognized as
children of unusual precocity of intellect, and Angeline was something of a prodigy as
a childish musician. Mr. McGinniss is a man of much character and moral worth, and
highly esteemed as a citizen. He has served as overseer of poor, village trustee, presi-
dent, and is a trustee of the Catholic Church Society.

McDonald, Dr. Nicholas L., was born in Newark, February 26, 1856. He was edu-
cated in the Union School and Academy, and studied the profession of dentistry with
Doctors Wilcox and Willett. In 1877 he became a partner with Dr. W. L. Willett,
and continued until 1882, when he bought Dr. Willett's interest, and has continued
with much success since. October 29, 1883, he married Rose Allen, of Canandaigua,
and they have four children : Rose E., Thomas N., M. Margherita and Avalyna A.
His father, Thomas, was born in Kilberry, Ireland, about 1826, locating in Newark in
1850. He married Bridget Phillips, and they have had six children: Catherine,
Nicholas L , Ida E., Mary J., James P., and Avalyna. The subject of this sketch and
Mary J., his sister, surviving. Thomas McDonald enlisted in 1862 in Company A,
]60th Infantry, N. Y. S. Volunteers, was in all the engagements under General Banks,
and was transferred to General Sheridan's c( mmand in 1864, and was wounded at the
battle of Cedar Creek, October 10, 1864, the result of which he died, November 2,
1864, in the hospital at Winchester, Va. Dr. McDonald is one of the trustees of St.
Michael's Catholic Church, and a member of Newark Council, Newark, N. Y., Catholic
Benevolent Legion. Himself, wife and children are members of St. Michael's Catholic
Church of this village.

Muilie, Isaac, born in Holland, in 1837. was the oldest son of the sixteen children of
Isaac and Delia Shoonaard Muilie, natives of Holland, who came to Williamson in 1851,
and here Mr. Muilie died in 1883, but his wife is still living. Our subject has always
been a farmer, and owns sixty-five acres of land. Mr. Muilie is independent in politics.
He and his family are members of the Reformed Church. In 1857 he married Jennie
Yansyn, a native of Holland, and a daughter of Adrian and Maggie Vansyn,
natives of Holland, where the father died in 1855, and the mother died in Rochester in
1857. Mr. Muilie and wife have had four children: Isaac, who married Mary
De Right, who have one child ; Delia, wife of C. V. Palssche, of Williamson ; Maggie,
wife of M. 0. Ingleson, of Williamson, N. Y.



FAMILY SKETCHES. 79

Mclntyre, S. B. The grandfather of our subject was of Scotch descent and came to
Palmyra from Cummington, Massachusetts. The first settlement of that town was by
his Scotch ancestor of the name of Mclntyre, in 1770. His father was Alexander, a
physician of Wayne county. Mr. Mclntyre was born at Palmyra in 1828, received his
education in the Palmyra, Canandaigua, and Millville Academies, and was admitted to
the bar in 1851, having been in continuous practice in Palmyra ever since, except when
in the army. He was first lieutenant in the 111th New York Regiment and afterwards
received commissions as adjutant and captain. During most of his service as first
lieutenant he acted as judge advocate of the third division of the 2d Corps. Still later
he was captain and commissary of subsistence, under General Gilmore in the depart-
ment of the south. When the war closed he retired with the rank of major, and re-
sumed his law business at Palmyra. He is a Republican, and has been a candidate for
county judge and district attorney. His legal business has been very extensive, and he
has figured in many important trials. Mr. Mclntyre is, and for three years past has
been president of the 111th Regimental organization, and is a past commander of James
A. Garfield Post, G. A. R. For twenty-five years he has been one of the trustees of
the Presbyterian church and for twelve years was superintendent of the Sabbath-
school. He occupies a handsome residence, which he built in 1868. Mrs. Mclntyre
died January 6, 1893, leaving two daughters. Mr. Mclntyre is widely known through-
out the State, and has a large law practice.

Muth. James R. Prof, (deceased) was born in Gimbsheim, Hesse-Darmsdadt. Ger-
many, May 4, 1834. At an early age he studied in the musical schools of Mainz,
Munich, Leipsic, and Stuttgart, graduating in all branches of musical science. In 1861
he came to the United States and established a conservatory of music in Syracuse, and
was director of the Philharmonic Orchestra, composed of forty-nine of Syracuse's best
musicians. In 1867 he married Marion A., daughter of Norman Carver, of Syracuse,
N. Y. When a competent director of music was sought for the Ladies' Seminary at
Hamilton, N. Y., in 1872 Professor Muth was chosen to fill the vacancy, which position
he filled for six years, assisted by his wife, a musician and artist. In 1878, owing to
poor health, he returned to Syracuse, took up photography for a change ; in 1880 re-
moved to Clyde, since which time his interests and labors have been here. When the
National Photographers' Association was formed he became a member and entered an
exhibit at the convention in Chicago in 1880, taking the first prize for his carbon pic-
tures, in which style of work he has never been excelled. While pursuing his regular
business he found time to devote much attention to music. At one time under his
drill the Clyde Saxton Band was not surpassed by any similar organization in the State.
In 1885 he built himself one of the most tasty and beautiful residences in Clyde. He
died December 19, 1891, regretted by a large circle of friends, leaving a wife to take
up and carry his plans to completion. He was a member of the Masonic Lodge, hold-
ing the degree of Knight Templar, and a member of the Presbyterian church. At the
time of his marriage Professor and Mrs. Muth traveled in Europe two years, allowing
Mrs. Muth the opportunity of prosecuting her studies in art and music in the art center
of the old world, making a specialty of oil, water color, and point crayon engraving, in
which she has acquired a well deserved reputation as an artist throughout Central New
York, enlarging portraits if necessary from pictures of miniature size.

McOmber, Amos, born in Jefferson county, August 30, 1828, was the fifth of eleven
children of Isaac and Anna (Howland) McOmber, he a native of Galway, born August
12, 1798, and she of the same place. Amos came to Wayne county with his parents.
He enlisted in 1862 in Company D, 160th N. Y. Infantry, was an orderly sergeant and
recruiting officer ; holding two offices, and doing two men's work, he could come home
only for troops. He died in December, 1863. He married, December 26, 1849, Lucy
H., daughter of Levi Clark, born in Washington county November 28, 1805, who eame
to Marion in 1826. Mr. McOmber and wife had four children : Clark, who married



80 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.

Matilda A. Rutherford, who died April 24, 1893 ; Eva L. (deceased), Addie Mary,
wife of Herbert Snyder, by whom she has three children ; Rosamond S., Celia Lucy',
Leon H.; and Kittie, at Johnstown, N.Y. Mr. McOmber was a builder and contractor.'

Meade, Peleg (deseased), was born May 16, 1817, at Mount Washington, and came
to Wayne county in 1818 with his father. David Meade, who took up 100 acres of
land. Peleg was educated in the district schools and the Clyde High School. At the
age of twenty-two he married Martha, daughter of Aaron Waterbury, and they have
four children: Harris W., now of Los Angeles, Cal.; Mrs. Alice Reynolds and Mrs.
Libbie Williams, and Al ; da Meade. In 1881 he bought the Oleander Brown property
of 103 acres, where the family now reside. Our subject is recognized as one of the
substantial men of his town, taking an active interest in school and religious matters.
He died in 1884 at the age of sixty-seven, leaving a wife and one daughter at home
to take np his many plans and carry them forward to completion.

McCollum, W. E., was born in Jefferson county November 6, 1864, educated in the
common schools and finished at Pulaski High School, after leaving which he engaged in
the drug business. In 1888 he went into the Wayne county clerk's office, under E. B.
Wells, and was appointed special deputy under F A. Peacock, serving six years. In
1894 he entered upon the duties of justice of the peace, to which he had been pre-
viously elected. On retiring from the clerk's office he was made Wayne county man-
ager of the Abstract Guarantee Company of Rochester, a company engaged in the
business of making guaranteed searches of real estate, in wuich line he is an expert.
Also includes with his law business a full line of insurance, representing some of the
most substantial insurance companies in the United States. Our subject is an active
business man, and is now pursuing a course of reading, preparatory to admittance to
the New York State bar.

Munson, John A., a central figure in the business and social life of Savannah, was
born in Tyre, Seneca county, November 22, 1848, the son of Archibald and Mary
(Evans) Munson. The elder Munson came to Savannah in 1858, and established the
business now conducted in a greatly enlarged form by his son, besides whom there
were four other children, none, however, surviving early childhood. Archibald Mun-
son died in 1873 and his wife in 1891. John A. graduated from Genesee College in
1870, Lima, N. Y., with the degree of B. S. and degree M. S. was afterwares conferred
by Syracuse Uuiversity in 1873. He had also spent two years in Rochester at the
Eastman Business College, and taught bookkeeping at the Bryant and Stratton. March
27, 1872, he married Frances C. Sherman, of East Avon, N. Y., who was a graduate of
Wesleyan Seminary, class of '69. John A., jr., a young man of unusual business ability,
born May 6, 1876, is now in his father's office, the only child living, another son having
died in 1874, in early infancy. Mr. Munson is a sturdv Republican in politics, was
town clerk in 1871 and 1872 and supervisor in 1875-76-77-78. Before the expiration
of the latter term he was elected to the Assembly from the first district, participating
in the first session held in the new capitol at Albany. In 1887-88-89 he again repre-
sented Savannah on the Board of Supervisors, and was at one session made chairman
by a viva voce vote, at that date an honor without local precedent. Mr. Munson may
be regarded as the founder of the Masonic Lodge, and is in all respects a representative
figure, conducting an extensive business in grain and flour, coal, lumber, etc.

McClelland, David, was born in Lyons, December 6, 1824. His father, John, came
from Glasgow, Scotland, in 1811. In 1813 he took up a farm from the United States
government, four miles northwest of Lyons. After living a successful farmer, upright
and honest with all men, he died in 1870 at the ripe age of eighty-four years, leaving
three sons and one daughter. David, the youngest son, married Lettie, daughter of
Jacob Vanderbilt, in 1849, at the age of twenty-four. To them were born two chil-
dren, Almeda, who died at the age of eight years, and Morgan, who still resides on the



FAMILY SKETCHES. 81

old homestead. David, like his father, has been a successful farmer, purchasing the
old homestead of 166 acres in 1850, and raising hay, grain, fruit and stock, also grow-
ing and distilling peppermint oil.

Merchant, John, was born in Fort Edward, N. Y., June 23, 1811. His father, John,
came to Wayne county September 1, 1817, and settled in the northern part of Lyons,
buying fifty acres at the start. At the time of his death in 1867, at the age of ninety-
one years, he owned 220 acres. He married at the age of twenty-seven, Eliza Closson,
and bad a family of nine children, of whom John Merchant is the sole survivor. He
was educated in the common schools and finished at Ostrander's Academy in Lyons,
after which he taught winter school six years. At the age of twenty-four he married
Cynthia, daughter of Nehemiah Reynolds, who died in 1851. By her he had four
children : Riley P., John A., Mrs. Eliza Mesick, who died at twenty years of age, and
Charles E., who died in 1889, at forty years of age. Mr. Merchant married second,
Harriet, daughter of Joseph Cole. In 1837 he bought the Oliver Evans property and
in 1857 bought part of the Joseph Gee farm, raising fruit, hay, grain and stock. Our
subject is one of the representative men of his town, filling the offices of school com-
missioner, town auditor, also a member of the M. E. Church of Lyons fifty years, of
conservative character and sterling integrity, his life has ever proven his word to be as
good as his bond.

Moran, Daniel, was born in Queens county, Ireland, and came to the United States
in 1851 and resided with his parents in "Waterloo, N. Y., assisting his father, who was
engaged in the clothing business. He came to Lyons in 1861 and engaged in merchant
tailoring, gents' furnishing and ready-made clothing business, which he continues at the
present time, carrying the largest and finest stock in Wayne county. He is also inter-
ested in the water works, electrical company, the pottery and the Manhattan Silver
Plate Company, and is recognized in his town as one of the most active business men,
identified in advancing the best interests of his town and the leading events of the day.
At the age of thirty-five he married Bridget A., daughter of John Fitzpatrick, of Flor-
ence, N. Y., formerly of Ossory, Ireland, and they are the parents of eight children.
Our subject has always led a very active business life, but has found time to take an
interest in school and church matters, and is recognized as a man whose life has proven
his word to be as good as his bond.

McMath, William, was born in Lyons, February 11, 1836. His father, M. McMath,
was a native of Ovid, Seneca county, and was born August 8, 1802, and died in 1881
at the age of seventy-nine. William McMath was educated in the Lyons Union School,
after which he entered the employ of Mrs. William Sisson, and learned the druggist
business. In 1862 he enlisted in Company C, 160th N. Y. Infantry Volunteers, and
took part in the engagement of the gunboat Cotton, Bayou Teeche, Fort Bisland, Port
Hudson, the Red River Expidition, going as a private and receiving his commission of
lieutenant in his second year, and an honorable discharge in 1864. In 1872 he married
Mary A., daughter of Thomas Smith, of Clyde, and they have one daughter, Margaret
J. He remained in Louisiana and engaged in mercantile and agricultural pursuits for
seventeen years. In 1874 he came to Clyde and engaged in farming.

McLouth, Judge Charles. — Erom 1828 to 1888 Dr. John McLouth was a practicing
physician at Walworth, Wayne county. He died at the advanced age of ninety-one,
and celebrated the sixtieth anniversary of his marriage six years before his death. His
Avidow is still living, above ninety years of age. His son, Charles, was born at Wal-
worth in May, 1834, and received his education in the common school and academy at
that place. He read law with Judges Ketcham and Cowles at Clyde, and was admit-
ted to the bar in December, 1857. In 1858 he moved to Palmyra and formed a part-
nership with William F. Aldrich, one of the oldest and most profound lawyers in that



82 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.

part of the State, which continued for six years, since which he has been alone. His
practice has extended to all the tribunals below the Supreme Court of the United
States, both State and Federal, and has connected him with most of the important liti-
gation of Wayne and the adjoining counties. Since the war he has been an active
Democrat, and in later years he has been closely identified as an uncompromising Hill
man, and he has made his influence felt in both State and National Conventions. He
has done a great deal of speaking in political campaigns as well as the making of many
addresses upon public or civic occasions. He is a ready writer and a speaker of force
and conciseness. In 1869 he was appointed county judge by Governor Hoffman.
Judge McLouth is an ardent and active churchman, and has been for twenty-five years
or more a member of the vestry of Zion Church, Palmyra, and was for eighteen years,
and until he refused to be re-elected, a trustee and the treasurer of the fund for dis-
abled clergy and the widows and orphans of deceased clergymen. He has been for
several terms of three years each a member of the Board of Education of the Palmyra
Classical Union School and was for six years its president, covering the time of the
building of the beautiful new school building, in which he was much interested, and to
which he gave close supervision and attention every day. In the building of the new
Zion Church in 1872 he was one of the building committee and gave similar service.
From 1864 to 1893, when he was relieved at his own request, he was a director of the
First National Bank of Palmyra, of which he has always been the attorney, and during
the same time he was and still is a director of the Palmyra Gas Light Company, and is
now its president, secretary and treasurer. In 1890 Governor Hill appointed him a
trustee of the New York State Custodial Asylum for Feeble-minded Women, located
at Newark, N. Y., to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Hon. David Decker, late
of Elmira, N. Y., and in 1892 Governor Flower appointed him for the full term of six
years. In the extensive building operations of that institution he has always been on
the building committee, and he has given to that extensive and valuable chanty his
time and labor without limit. In 1893 he was appointed by Governor Flower one of
the three commissioners in reference to the storage of the water of the Genesee River
for the benefit of the Erie Canal and the city of Rochester. Judge McLouth has a fine
law library of about 2,500 volumes, aud an equally fine private library of 1,000. He
has a magnificent residence at the corner of Cuyler and Jackson streets, built by him-
self in 1886, where he resides with his wife and two children, Mary Scotland and
Charles. He is a very able man and has deserved personal influence in the community,
but this is not superior to his interest in the village and everything connected with the
interests of it or its citizens. The kindly feeling of his neighbors towards him was
well expressed in the fall of 1893, when Governor Flower visited the village and made
an address at the agricultural fair. Judge McLouth was chairman of the Committee of
Arrangements and entertained and introduced the governor, and the Courier said,
among other things: "While the Palmyra Union Agricultural Society appreciates, as
does every citizen, the great honor conferred by the presence of Governor Flower
among us on Friday last, it is only proper to state that to Judge McLouth is largely due
the credit of securing the presence of his excellency on that occasion. Interested as he
is, and always has been, in the Palmyra Fair he believed the presence of the governor
and an address from him to the farmers, would give renewed interest to this annual
exhibition, and fortunately his efforts in this direction were crowned with success.
Doubtless the judge is, upon occasion, a hot partisan, but no man knows better than he
how to keep politics out of a non-partisan gathering, and as chairman of the Reception
Committee he eliminated every particle of partisanship from the affair, as was right
and proper, and from the dignified and admirable manner in which every detail of the
arrangements was carried out, he is entitled not only to the thanks of the society, but
to words of praise from every citizen."

Merrill, William H., was born in Wolcott in 1846 and is one of eight children of