father's family at present, a lady of superior mental endowment and refinement and
a life-long member of the M. E. church. The subject of this sketch, commencing life
in the wilds of a new country and under adverse circumstances, has by his own un-
aided efforts acquired a valuable competency and is now living upon his fine farm in
the northern part of Savannah. He has for the greater part of his life been a
prominent and substantial member of the M. E. church, has served fcur years as jus-
tice of the peace, but has not sought official honors. He is of decided convictions,
outspoken and consistent, in all respects worthy of the high esteem in which he
Pintler, Freeman, was born in Fairfax county, Va., April 10, 1854, a son of Peter
and Emma Pintler, he a native of Delaware county, and she of Orleans county, N. Y.,
born in 1820. They went to Virginia in 1851 and resided there until 1861, owning a
farm adjoining the Robert E. Lee estate. In 1860 Peter was one of seven men in
Fairfax county that dared to vote for Lincoln. Mr. Pintler was warned three times to
leave, and finally, after the first battle of Bull Run, he was driven from his home,
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
took his family to Washington, and after a few weeks came to Orleans county, and
four years after to Ontario countv, and was killed by lightning in 1869, and his wife
died in 1872. Mr. Pintler was a contractor and builder, and remodelled the Robert E.
FAMILY SKETCHES. 95
Lee house while in the south. His father was Adam Pintler, a native of Germany.
The father of Emma Shaw was Elijah Shaw, of this state, and of German descent, who
was in the war of 1812. His wife was Lydia Freeman, and they had six children.
Our subject was seven years old when his parents came to Orleans county. He was
fifteen years old when his father died, and his mother two years later. At eighteen
he began teaching and afterwards completed a course at the Oswesro Normal School.
He has been a very successful teacher, having taught thirty-three terms. In 1886
he engaged as traveling salesman with the Niagara Grape Company, and sold enough
grapes to plant 3,000 acres of land. He went to Europe in the interest of that com-
pany and traveled in England, Scotland, and France. In 1893 he was elected school
commissioner, and has served as supervisor of the town of Ontario during 1892 and
1893, heading the first straight Republican ticket that had been elected in that town in
twenty years. He is a member of Wayne Lodge No. 416, F. and A. M., and also of the
A. 0. U. W., No. 306. March 23, 1883 he married Hattie J., daughter of Edward
Thompson, of Williamson, and they have two children, Leon F., born February 12, 1884,
and Minnie, born November 13, 1885.
Rooke, Thomas, was born near York (England), April 6, 1833, and came to the
United States with his father, John Rooke. in 1833, who settled in the town of Galen.
John married Sarah, daughter of Mathew Robinson, by whom he had ten children. He
died in March, 1862, aged seventy-two. Thomas Rooke was educated in the common
schools, to which he has added through life by reading and close observation. He has
accmired by purchase of the other heirs his father's estate, subject to the rights of the
widow, hi.- mother, who still lives, and also purchased part of the Charles Tyndall estate
and other adjoining pieces of property, having 120 acres. He raises fruit, hay and
stock. Our subject was taken with erysipelas at the age of ten years, resulting in the
loss of the use of both legs, and since then has been obliged to use crutches to get
about. Notwithstanding this great calamity he has been successful in business, and
gained the confidence of his associates. He never was willing to accept public office,
but is trustee and steward of the M. E. Church of Lock Berlin.
Raymour, L. S., a native of Macedon, born November 24, 1824, is the oldest of a
family of thirteen children of John and Alzina (Aldridge) Raymour, he a native of Ver-
mont, born in 1S02, and she of New York, born in 1804. The grandparents were early
settlers of the town of Walworth, where they lived and died. John came to Ontario
about 1832, and bought a farm on the town line, between Williamson and Ontario,
which he sold and bought the farm now owned by Samuel Raymour. They went to
Palmyra, where they died, he May 12, 1880, and she July 7, 1872. He was a Republi-
can, and they were Methodists in religion. L. S. was reared on a farm, and has always
followed farming and fruit growing. In 1835 he bought the farm he now owns, where
he has since resided. He married in 1847, Emily Thayer, of Orleans county, by whom
he had two daughters: Addie, wife of Harda Bunday, a civil engineer of Monroe
county, N. Y.. and has one son, Clifford, and a daughter, Winnifred, and Martha, wife
of Jacob Verdow, who is now working the farm. They are principally engaged in
growing fruit. They have two sons, Bertley and Spencer. Mrs. Raymour died, June
14. 1881. Mr. Raymour is a Republican.
Roffee, E. M., was born in Scipio, Cayuga county, August 31, 1838. His father,
Christopher, was a native of Providence, R. I., was a sea captain, and later was a promi-
nent contractor and builder at Providence. R. I., erecting a number of the churches and
public buildings in that city. In 1834 he lemoved to Scipio, Cayuga county, and en-
gaged in farming. He died in 1885, aged seventy-eight years. E. M. Roffee was edu-
cated in the common schools, and finished his preparatory course at the Antioch Col-
lege, Springfield, O. The year 1857 he entered the office of Dr. Hines, of Elmira. and
learned the profession of dentistry. In October, 1859, he came to Clyde, and established
96 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
himself in business, being associated with Dr. T. C. Olds, and after his decease purchased
the entire business, which he has since continued. The year 1882 went to Grayling for
his health, a thriving village in the northern part of Michigan. During his stay was in-
duced to purchase village lots, also eighty acres adjoining the village, and at once platted
the same. With the proceeds of his sales of lots built a number of houses, and he has
not missed an annual visit since his first there, and in meantime regained his health.
At the age of twenty-two he married Emma A., daughter of J. S. Hood, and they have
had two children : Mrs. George H. Hardisty and Nellie, who died, aged twenty-three, a
devout Christian. Our subject takes an active interest in education and religious insti-
tutions, and has been a member of the Presbyterian Church thirty- five years.
Rector, Mrs. Sarah, of Savannah, was born January 30, 1842, a daughter of Peter
and Hannah (Carncross) Albright, of Lysander, who settled on the farm now occupied
by Mrs. Rector in 1834. Here the mother died in 1855 and the father in 1886, he be-
ing then in his eighty-third year. Sarah Albright was born on the farm where she
now lives, and which is now operated by her only son, John W. Rector. She was
married in 1863 to John W. Rector, of Wolcott, who died fifteen months later, Her
son, John W., was born March 18, 1864, and by trade is a machinist, but he has re-
turned to the farm, and in 1884 he married Minnie Ulum, of Alamo, Mich., who died
in 1886, leaving- one son, Ray, born March 8, 1885. January 26, 1887, he married
again, Ursula May Schuyler, of Alamo, Kalamazoo county, Mich., by whom he had
two children : Rose, born November 20, 1889, and Anson, born December 8, 1891.
The subject of this sketch is a woman of most estimable character and mental ability,
who has always devoted herself to her family. Her husband, before his death, was
one of the prominent figures in the early life of Wayne.
Ray, C. H, was born in Piffard, Livingston county, October 12, 1854. His father,
Rev. Charles Ray, now in charge of the Presbyterian Church at Marion, has been an
ordained clergyman for forty years. C. H. Ray was educated at the Temple Hill Acad-
emy and Hamilton College, graduating from the latter institution in 1877. Afterward
was principal of the Cayuga Lake Academy at Aurora, N. Y ., for one year, and then
began the study of the law. He read with Hon. John L. Parker, of Parker & Green-
field, at Moravia, Cayuga county, N. Y., also taking the Hamilton College Law School
course, and was admitted to the bar in 1880, and in September of the same year he
entered into general practice at Lyons. At the age of twenty-six he married Hattie,
daughter of Dr. Dennison R. Pearl, of Sherwood, Cayuga county, and they are the
parents of two sons: Reginald P. and John P. In 1S85 he was elected district attor-
ney of Wayne county, and has been identified with most of the leading events of the
day, taking an active part in political and educational mattera.
Richman, Thomas I., was born in Onondaga county February 3, 1824. His father,
Jacob Richman, was a native of New Jersey, moving to Manlius, Onondaga county,
where he married Esther Clark, daughter of Christopher Clark. Mr. Thomas I. Rich-
man was connected with the building of several different railroad-', viz. : A portion of
the Ogdensburg Railroad running east of Malone, a portion of the New York Central
running through Wayne county, also west of Batavia, and forty miles of railroad in
Canada, and in company with his brother built several sections of the Erie Canal en-
largement, including the aqueduct in Macedon. He is now engaged in farming.
Rouch, Frank, of Macedon, was born in the town of Ontario June 10, 1857, a son of
Max Rouch, a native of Germany, who came to this country when a young man and
settled in Ontario, where he engaged in farming. He served in the late war three years,
where he was wounded and disabled for any further hard work, for which he drew a
pension. He died in Ontario in 1888, aged sixty-three. Frank married Adella Gard-
ner, of Macedon, February 28, 1883, and they have no children. He owns a place of
sixty-six acres. In politics he is a Republican, and has served as school trustee. He
is also a member of the Grange.
FAMILY SKETCHES. 97
Robertson, Dr. J, N, was born in Wolcott June 10, 1853. His father, Jonn, who
died in 1880 at the age of fifty-five, was a prominent member of the M. E. Church,
and a staunch adherent to the Republican party. Dr. Robertson received his diploma
from the University of Vermont in 1877 and afterwards took a post-graduate course in
New York city. He began practice at Sterling, N. Y., removing to Wolcott two years
later. December 1, 1880, he married Anna M. Howard, of Sterling, and they have one
daughter, Eva Lucille, born July 23, 1885. Dr. Robertson is a member of the Board
of Education of Woleott and an elder in the First Presbyterian Church.
Redfield, Albert F., was born in Victor, Ontario county, April 15, 1817. His father,
Luther, was a native of Richmond, Mass., who located in the town of Junius in 1800.
He removed to the town of Galen in 1822, purchasing 108 acres, to which he added
fifty acres adjoining. He died in 1867, aged eighty-seven years. The family trace
their genealogy back to the Puritans of Massachusetts. Albert F. was educated in the
common schools, to which he has added through life by reading and close observation.
After following farming fifteen years he went into the mercantile business in Clyde,
remaining five years, and then engaged in the distillery business, which was burned in
1857. He also was in the tan and curry business for nine years. He also engaged in
the malting business ten years. In 1869 he was elected county clerk and served three
years, and was elected supervisor of his town for five terms. At the age of thirty-six
he married Susan A., daughter of Aaron Griswold, and they had one daughter, Mrs.
Mary G. Whiting, who died, aged thirty-three years.
Rice, Stephen D., was born in Butler, July 26, 1835, a son of Jonathan G., a native
of Rowe, Mass., born May 28, 1813. He married, in 1832, Levinne H. Doolittle, born
September 11, 1814, daughter of Stephen and Polly Doolittle, of Granby, Conn. Mr.
and Mrs. Rice had seven children : Stephen D., Levinne A., George E., Charles G.,
Harriet J., Jared F. and Franklin J. The grandfather of our subject was Ebenezer
Rice, a native of Massachusetts, who married Sallie Glazier, and had seven children.
He died aged eighty-seven, and his wife aged ninety. At the age of sixteen Stephen
D. began learning the miller's trade, which he has followed for the past forty-three
years. In 1857 he married Lydia J., daughter of Nicholas and Anna Taylor, of Victory,
Cayuga county. She was born October 15, 1839. Their children are as follows :
Franklin J., born March 17, 1862; Levinne, who died in infancy, and George W., born
January 6, 1872. Both sons are millers. Mr. Rice is a Mason, and is a Republican in
politics, though he has always declined nomination. He was a captain in Company D,
107th Regiment, 25th Brigade, 7th Division, N. Y. S. Militia.
Robinson, the late John N., was born in Arcadia, February 28, 1822. He was edu-
cated in the district school and spent his early life on the farm. He afterward became
a blacksmith and carriage maker in this village. He married twice ; first, Maria Austin,
by whom he had three children : Cordelia, Frances, who died at the age of six years,
and Osman C. Mrs. Robinson died in 1862, and he married second, November 6, 1863,
Lydia Weaver, and they had one son, J. Floyd, who was educated in the Union School
and Academy, and is learning the jeweler's trade in the village. He resides with his
mother. Mr. Robinson was a successful business man, and died April 2, 1882, mourned
by a bereaved wife and family. Mrs. Robinson's father, Jacob Weaver, was born in
Dutchess county January 1, 1812, and came here with his parents when he was a boy.
He was educated in the district schools and followed farming. In 1831 he married
Sylvina Hoysrodt, formerly of Dutchess county, and they had six children: Homer,
Lydia, Lewis, Christina, Esther and Jacob, jr. The ancestry of this family are English
Redner, Dr. P., was born in Orange county, September 8, 1841, and is the son of
Peter and Elizabeth Hall Redner, both natives of Orange county, where both families
had resided for over a hundred vears, and where the father died in 1848 and the mother
98 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
at Patterson, N. Y., in 1890. Dr. Redner, when seven years of age went to live with
Martin Litchult, of Ramsey, N. J., where he remained six years. He then went to
New York city and remained five years, learning the butcher's trade. He then came
to Wayne county and attended school under Professor Curtis, and speculated during
the summer. In 1865 he went to Buffalo and was engaged with the Western Trans-
portation Company. He afterward went to Nevada and Montana and engaged in
mining for three years, and then went to Denver and engaged in the feed and stock
business, taking the first load of cattle that went over the Union Pacific from Omaha
to Cheyenne. He next entered the Homoeopathic Institute in Cincinnati, from which
he graduated in 1874, and practiced his profession for twenty years in various places.
In 1889 he came to Ontario, where he has since resided, and is an extensive property
owner. He is a member of the Sodus Lodge, No. 392, F. & A. M. November 20, 1872,
he married Mary H., daughter of Hezekiah Hill, who was born in Ontario in 1811. His
parents were natives of Massachusetts and settled in Ontario in 1800. His father died
when he was four years old, leaving his mother and nine children, the eldest but four-
teen years old. Mr. Hill's educational advantages were limited, but by hard study he
was able at the age of eighteen to teach school, which he did for six winters. He was
school commissioner one year and school inspector two years, and held the office of
constable two years, assessor nine years, justice four years, and was the railroad com-
missioner of the town. In 1840 he married Pamelia, daughter of Samuel Stuck, of
Ontario. In 1849 he bought the Pratt farm of 320 acres at Inman's Corners, now
Ontario Village. He began at once to sell lots, and a large part of the village was built
by him. for those to whom he sold lots. He became a large real estate owner in On-
tario, Canada and Michigan. He died in 1889. Dr. Redner and wife have four chil-
dren : Wilfred H, who died in 1876, Howard H, Vera A. and Boyd A.
Russell, W. D., was born in Marion in 1836, on January 27. He is the sixth of a
family of nine sons of Daniel W. and Mary Turner Russell, he a native of Williamson,
and she of Washington county, N. Y. Daniel Russell came to Williamson about 1793
from Conn., and first settled at Pultneyville and afterwards on the farm now owned by
Darius, his grandson. The father of our subject held various offices of public trust, and
died in 1868 and his wife in 1873. Our subject was educated in the common schools
and Sodus Academy, and learned the printer's trade with Richard Olyphant, of Oswego,
but was poisoned by the ink, and gave up the business and went to Lockport, 111., and
was connected with the construction of the Joliet & Chicago Railroad. He then went
to the county surveyor's office with A. J. Matheson, of Walworth, N. Y., and after a
year he came to Marion, and owing to his father's sickness he remained on the farm
until the war broke out in 1861. He enlisted in Company I, 98tb N. Y. Volunteer In-
fantry as first lieutenant. After the consolidation of the 98th and a portion of the
Franklin County Rifles, subject enlisted as a private and was soon promoted to second
lieutenant, and was in these battles : Fairoaks, White House Landing, Seven Days fight,
White Oak Swamp, Malvern Hill, Siege of Yorktown, Second Fair Oaks, Charleston,
and was mustered out through another consolidation in June, 1863, and then returned
to the farm. In January, 1865, he married, re-enlisted, and was detailed on recruiting
service at Auburn, N. Y., then recruited eighty-four men for the 194th Regiment, and
was at Elmira in command of barracks, and was to be made captain of Company A,
194th Regiment, but the company got no further than Elmira when they were mustered
out of service. At the close of the war he engaged in farming for five years, then
went to Binghamton and was general agent for the Singer Sewing Machine Company.
After three years he returned to Williamson and bought a farm of fifty-three acre*,
where he resided thirteen years, when he engaged in the sale of agricultural imple-
ments. After four years he retired from business, and in 1891 he came to the village
of Williamson, where he owns a fine residence. He is a O. A. R. man, having been
commander of John Hanes Post, also aid-de-camp on the department commander's staff,
as well as the commander-in-chief's staff, and also a member of the fire company and of
the Grange. His wife is Lucy M., daughter of Roswell B. Harkness, of Williams.
FAMILY SKETCHES. 90
Riker, John, a native of Dutchess county, was born December 10, 1810. His parents
died when be was very young, and but little is known of the history of the family.
About 1836 he came to Ontario, Wayne county, and bought seventy-six: acres of land,
to which he added about 125 acres, and which he left to the family. He married Mary
Thorne, of Dutchess county, by whom he had four sons and five daughters, one son
and four daughters are deceased. Mr. Riker died November 2, 1882, and his wife
April 17, 1886. In politics he was a Democrat, and in religious faith they were Friends.
The surviving children are Julia, wife of Wilfred M. Burke, a farmer of Meridian,
Cayuga county ; James H., J. F. and Edward L., who are now on the old homestead
and carry on the farm business, J. F. and E. L. in partnership. They are engaged in
general farming and fruit raising, and grow about four or five acres of raspberries, ten
acres of apples, and thirty-eight acres of grapes. Edward married, January 27, 1887,
Carrie J., daughter of Margaret and W. S. Hawley, of Webster, N. Y., by whom he
has had one son, John H., born December 13, 1887. J. F. married Annie S. O'Dell,
who died February 21, 1887. In politics they are Democrats. Mrs. Riker is a member
of the M. E. church, which they attend and support.
Ruf, John P., was born in New York city May 23, 1860. He was educated in the
Freehold Institute, of New Jersey, graduating in 1877, located in Clyde in 1878. In
1883 entered the Philadelphia Dental College and Hospital of Oral Surgery, from
which he graduated in 1885. Dr. Ruf is a member of the Seventh District Dental
Society and of the Garretsonian Society, of Philadelphia, the latter having a
membership of 3,500. He is interested in local affairs, and at one time held office as
trustee of the village. He is also president of the Clyde branch of the Wayne Building
& Loan Association. Dr. Ruf is active in Masonic circles and was for four years
master of Clyde lodge, F. A. & M., No. 341. At the age of twenty-seven he married
Hattie B., daughter of John Thomas, of Clyde.
Robinson, William Henry, is one of the prominent citizens of Huron and was born
August 14, 1833, in Ontario county. He is a son of Thomas Robinson, whose early
life was spent at the mason's trade, and his last years as a farmer. Thomas was born
in 1801 in Mantlin. Ireland, where he married Christina Gibson, by whom he had
eleven children. About 1830 he came with his family to America. He landed at
Quebec, and at once began working on a farm. Later he removed to Phelps and
afterwards came to Huron, where he bougnt a place of fifty acres, cleared the land and
built him a home. He owned at his death 100 acres. Seven children grew to
maturity : Richard, Eliza, Mary, William H., Minerva, Rebecca and John W. The
grandfather of our subject was George Robinson, who married Elizabeth Gibson, and
had thirteen children, all of whom grew to maturity. Thomas died in November, 1886,
and his wife in June, of the same year. At the age of twenty-two William H. began
life for himself, having learned the stone mason and bricklayer's trades. In 1868 he
married Catharine, daughter of James M. and Eliza (Stout) Cosad, of Junius, born
August 9, 1838, and they have had one child, Lizzie C, wife of Charles Gilkey, of
Butler. Mr. and Mrs. Robinson and daughter are members of the Wolcott Grange.
Our subject is a Republican, and has served as justice of the peace eight years, and as
collector one year.
Reed, Jared A., M. D., was born in the town of Williamson, Wayne county, Decem-
ber 13, 1858. He was educated in the public schools, Marion Collegiate Institute,
Sodus Academy, graduating in 1878. He then entered Cornell University, taking a
four years' course, and graduated from that institution in 1882. He then took a two
years' course in the Homoeopathic Medical College, New York, graduating from that
institution March 15, 1884. Began to practice medicine the same year, which he con-
tinues with much success. Dr. Reed is a member of the Wayne County Homoeopathic
Society, also of the State society of the same school. April 15, 1885, he married Jennie
E. Trimble, of the town of Ontario. They have two children, Mildred and J. Stuart.
100 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
The doctor's father, David B., was born at Fort Ann, Washington county, October 16,
1828. Came to the town of Marion with his parents when he was four years old, was
a farmer by occupation. He married Mary Ackerson, of Ontario, Wayne county.
They had five children : William B., Jared A., Oscar, David S., who died in infancy,
and Mary E. The Dr's. grandfather, Fitch Reed, was born in Vermont, about the
year 1800. He married twice, second marriage to Almira Gibbs. The family came to
the eastern part of this State to Washington county, and had six children : Laura,
Jerusha, David B., as noted above, John L., William E. and James T. Fitch Reed was
one of the minute men in the French and Indian War. He died in about the year 1865
or 66, and his wife in the year 1885.
Stever, Jacob E., was born in Newark, this county, January 16, 1839, was educated
in the Union schools and Sodus Academy, and his early years were spent on his father's
farm. At the age of eighteen he taught his first school, following this occupation for
several winters. December 13, 1863, he enlisted in Campany F. 2d Mounted Rifles, N.
Y. Volunteers, Army of the Potomac, under Burnside, Ninth Army Corps, till October,
1864, at which time his regiment was transferred to Sheridan's command, and was
honorably discharged May 13, 1865. March 21, 1860, he married Rebecca J. Lefurgey,
of Sodus, and they had five children : Lettie E., who died aged thirty-three; Cleon E.,
who died aged ten ; Frankie J., who died aged five months ; Sadie and Edith M.
Lettie married Emerson D. Warren, of Buffalo, having one son, Frank S. Mr. Stever's