father, James M., was born in Columbia county, July 22, 1814, aud came here with his
parents when young. He married Elizabeth Filkins, of his native county, and they
had three children ; Jabob E., Sarah C. and an infant son living only a few hours.
Dennis Lefurgey, father of Mrs. Stever, was born in Columbia county, in 1805, and
came to Sodus, where he married Margaret P. Steegar, and they had eight children :
Jac )b, Rebecca J., Emmarette, John B., William W., Dennis W., Anna P., and an
infant daughter living only two days Mr. Stever is a member of Vosburgh Post. No.
99, G. A. R., of which he has been commander two terms. He is a member of the
I. 0. O. F. and of the A. 0. U. W. Mr. Stever is a manufacturer of flavoring extracts.
Ray, William L., was born in Canada September 17, 1862, the fifth of seven children
of John and Mary Ray, the former a native of Canada, and the latter of England. The
father of John Ray was Robert Ray, aged 84, a native of Ireland, who came to Can-
ada in an early day, where he died in 1863. The maiden name of Mary Ray was
Fowler, her father Walter, aged 93, whose father came from England and lived and
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
died in Canada. Subject's father has been a mill man, came to Ontario in 1865 and
engaged in the mill business a number of years, where he has since resided. Mrs. Ray
died January 11, 1888, aged seventy years. Our subject was reared on a farm, and
educated in the common schools. He learned the engineer's trade and followed it fif-
teen years. He and his brother purchased thirty-two acres of land in Ontario, and in
1889 subject bought his interest and follows fruit raising, having four acres of berries.
He is a Prohibitionist in politics. He and his wife are members of the Free Methodist
church, and he has been trustee and steward, superintendent of the Sunday school, and
is now trustee. Mr. Ray married, June 9, 1882, Anna E. Willard, a native of Ontario
and daughter of George Willard and Adelaide (Gibbs) Willard. They have one son,
Norley L., born June 16, 1891.
Strauss, Jacob was born in the provir ce of the Rhine, Prussia, August 22, 1822, and
came to the United States in September 1852, and located in Clyde in 1854, where he
established a large clothing store and merchant tailoring business. He married Mary
Jane, daughter of David Stoddart and they had three children : Saty Theresse, Charles
A., William S. Mr. Strauss is an energetic and upright business man and has won
the respect of all with whom he has been associated.
Slocum, Smith JE., was born in Macedon February 11, 1855, the second child of nine
children born to Benjamin and Catherine P. Slocum, the former a native of Perrington,
FAMILY SKETCHES. 101
Monroe county, born in 1820, and the latter a native of Dutchess county, born in 1827.
Mr. Slocum came to Macedon in 1854 and then to Ontario in 1861, settled two miles
north of Ontario Center, and in 1864 came on the farm he now owns, and here his wife
died January 24, 1885. Mr. Slocum has been a Democrat, and was highway com-
missioner. He and his wife have for many years been members of the Baptist church,
since 1854. Our subject was reared on a farm and educated in Marion Collegiate
Institute. He followed teaching ten years, but his principal occupation has been farm-
ing, and he now has charge of his father's farm of seventy acres, and follows general
farming. He is a Democrat. He married in Batavia in 1885, Emma Foster, a native of
South Butler, and daughter of James P., and Carroline Collier, the former a native of
New Brunswick and the latter of England. He died August 29, 1891, and his wife
December 31, 1887. Mr. Slocum and wife have had two children, Leon F., and Elmer
R. The grandfather of subject, Smith Slocum, was born in Massachusetts, was one of
the first settlers of Macedon, and went to Monroe county, and died in Perrington,
October 25, 1835. His wife was Elizabeth Bliss, a native of Massachusetts, who died
January 27, 1858. He had a family of nine children, three sons of whom were in the
war of 1812. Subject has been deputy sheriff under Sheriff Knowles. The family is
of English descent, and started from three brothers coming from England in 1630.
Seelye. Jesse, of Savannah, is one of the typical old residents, having occupied his
present residence on a farm one-half mile west of Savannah, since 1837. His parents,
Benjamin and Anna, moved from Queensbury to Galen during the building of what was
then locally known as "Clinton's Ditch." Jesse was born in Warren county, came
with his parents to Wayne county when twelve years old, and has spent most of his
life in farming, although in earlier life he acquired and practiced the trades of shoe-
making and coopering. November 4, 1832, he married Mary A. Stackus of Savannah,
and their only child, Ursula, born February 15, 1835, died November 6, 1854, unmarried.
Soule, Harriet B., of Savannah, is the widow of Rowland Soule, who died in 1886,
aged sixty-four years. He was born in Duanesburg. October 30, 1855, he married
Harriet B., daughter of Orestes and Sally (White) Hubbard, of Butler, and bought the
farm one-half mile north of Savannah in 1867, erecting thereon the residence now occu-
pied by Mrs. Soule and her children. Mrs. Soule's children are : Ella S., born September
27, 1857 : Herbert O, born November 29, 1859, who married, in 1887, Ella, daughter
of Rev. P. H. Wiles, of Savannah, and has one son, Harold W., born in 1891 (they
reside at Rochester) ; Carrie, born June 12, 1862, who married, in 1891, Milan Sherman,
of Savannah, and has one daughter, Helen Grace, born in 1891 ; and Grace L., born in
Stebbins, William H. H., was born in the town of Arcadia, May 2, 1840. He was
educated in the public schools, and for the past thirty years has been a farmer and
dealer in agricultural implements and phosphate. In September, 1868, he married
Phoebe A. Fuller, of his native town, and they have had two children : Charles A., who
died at the age of four years and eight months; and Ella L., who resides with her
parents. Mr. Stebbins' father, Carlos A., was born in the town of Phelps, Ontario
county, in 1789. He was a pioneer farmer He married Cynthia Seargent, of the town
of Sodus, and they had eight children : George, Thomas, William H. H., Jerome,
James, Ella M., Carlos A., and Emily. He died in 1879, and his wife resides in this
village. His father was a soldier of the war of 1812 at Sodus Point. Mr. Stebbins was
a soldier of the late war in Company I, 17th Infantry, New York State Yolunteers,
was honorably discharged on account of sickness. His business life has been successful.
He has been overseer of the poor seven years, and is town collector. He is a member
of Newark Lodge No. 83, F. & A. M. ; of Newark Chapter No. 17, R. A. M. ; Zenobia
Commandery No. 41, K. T., of Palmyra; Palmyra Council No. 26, R. & S. M. ; and
Knights Templar No. 41, K T.
102 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
Soule, Mary and Lavinia, are the daughters of Enos and Mary Soule, who came from
Schenectady county in 1831, having a family of ten children. Lavinia was born April
16, 1811, and Mary, October 18, 1832. Enos Soule lived in a log house a few years,
on the site of the modern residence now occupied by the sisters, a mile north of the
village. He was an intimate friend of Gerrit Smith, then residing at Peterboro, and
was a practical and fearless abolitionist, personally assisting the operations of the cele-
brated "Underground Railway," also a leader in the Temperance cause. He died here
in 1861, and his wife ten years later, leaving seven children, of whom Mary and Lavinia
are the sole survivors. They are ladies of education and refinement, and their remi-
niscences of the early times are of great interest.
Sherman, Stephen D. (deceased), was born in East Palmyra, September 16. 1811.
His father and grandfather were among the first settlers in Palmyra. S. D. Sherman
was educated at the Cazenovia Seminary, and after leaving school took up the profession
of medicine. In the spring of 1848 he came to Lyons, and associated with Dr. Samuel
Moore and engaged in the general practice of medicine. The partnership continued up
to 1854, and was then terminated by the death of Dr. Moore. At the age of twenty-
two our subject married Jane, daughter of Josiah Betts, of Schoharie, and they were
the parents of four children : Warren F., of Kalamazoo, Mich. ; Charles E. ; Mrs. Mary
E. Darling ; and Frank Sherman, of Lyons. Our subject was one of the most success-
ful and best known in his profession, taking an active interest in educational and religious
matters, having been a member of the M. E. Church from early boyhood. Dr. Sherman
died February 13, 1894.
Silver, 0. Clate, was born November 10, 1867, the son of Harvey O. and Fanny
(Sergeant) Silver. The elder Silver was for many years a resident of Savannah, where
he established, in 1886, the business now conducted by his son. His wife, Fanny, is
a daughter of James Sergeant, who enjoys the distinction of being the first white male
child born in Sodus. 0. C. Silver received his education chiefly at the Sodus Academy,
and married, November, 29, 1887, Kate Verbridge, of Williamson, Wayne county.
They have one daughter, Loraine, born July 28, 1891. In 1893 he assumed control of
the business established by his father, that of furniture, undertaking and embalming,
and has added a large line of general goods and bakery products. Mr. Silver is a man
of enterprise, attending besides his regular business to the editorial charge of the Wayne
County Dispatch (Savannah edition), and acting as special correspondent for some of
the leading dailies, among them the New York World. Both himself and wife are
members of the Savannah M. E. Church.
Shourds, Daniel S., was born in the town of Macedon, January 11, 1842. Reuben
Shourds, his father, was a native of New Jersey. He went to Rochester in 1826, and
there learned the mason's trade, then moved to the town of Macedon, where he worked
both at his trade and farming for a few years. He afterward abandoned his trade, and
devoted himself entirely to farming. He married Esther Sisson, who was a native of
Massachusetts. Daniel S. Shourds was their only child. He was educated in district
schools, in the Union Springs Academy, and from there he went to Poughkeepsie, where
he finished. He entered the nursery business as salesman, and in 1863 he started in
that business for himself. At the present time he is dealing in all classes of fruits and
ornamentals, and receives orders from all parts of the country. October 11, 1866, he
married Phebe M. Pah^er, and they have four children. Mr. Shourds has been super-
visor and commissioner of the town, and in politics is a Republican. He is a member
of the Orthodox branch of the Friend's Church.
Scott, Samuel & Co., maltsters. — This firm is composed of Samuel Scott and his two
sons, William 3., and Seymour Scott. Samuel was born in Lyons in 1827, and has led
an active and prominent business life, being identified in advancing the best interests of
his town. At the age of thirty he married Lucy M., daughter of Daniel Spier, of Lyons.
FAMILY SKETCHES. 103
In 1S58 he established a carriage manufactory, which he continued twenty years. For
seven years he was engaged in the produce business, and in 1877 engaged in the malt-
ing business, and in 1880 the Scott malt house with a capacity of 250,000 bushels was
erected. The father of Samuel Scott, for whom he was named, came from Lincoln-
shire, England, to Sodus, in 1810, and was called out to defend his State in the war of
1812. Seymour Scott married Mary C, daughter of H. C. Atkins, of Brattleboro, Vt.,
at the age of twenty-seven, and they have two sons, George and Harry. William S.
Scott married, at the age of twenty-four, Bertha L.. daughter of James Thomas, of
Baltimore, and they have two children : William Sebert, and Lucy. The firm of Samuel
Scott & Co. is one of the leading houses in malting in Western New York. Scott
Bros, are dealers in essential oils, making a specialty of oil of peppermint, for which
Wayne county has a justly celebrated reputation in the production of this particular oil,
which in amount exceeds one-half of the total production in the United States, this
firm now are the largest dealers in the county. The firm has a deserved reputation for
business ability and strict integrity.
Saunders, Enoch, came to Palmyra from Litchfield, Conn., and worked for John
Swift. After the latter sold his business, Mr. Saunders received as compensation for
his services a piece of land, of which he took possession immediately after leaving Mr.
Swift's employ. He next journeyed to Connecticut, where he married Abigail Hilems,
returning with his wife to his property here, and began farming. He died in 1825, and
his wife in 1857, their children are : Orlando Lorenzo, who moved to Michigan ; Ben-
jamin, who also moved to Michigan ; Orson, who died in 1825 ; Malissa, who married
Willard Chase; Alice, who married James Seely, and has a son, Andrew, who now re-
sides in Palmyra. Orlando was born in 1803, and had four sons, two of which are now
living : Alexander, who lives in Michigan ; Septimius, born in 1834, who has always
resided on the homestead farm. He has 105 acres in Palmyra, and forty-five in Ontario
county, all in one tract.
Stuber, Seymour, was born in Switzerland, September 14, 1850, one of eight children
of Horace and Elizabeth Stuber, of that country, who came to America and to Utica in
1853, where they died, she in 1857, and he in 1872. Our subject was three years of
age when he came to Utica, and learned the blacksmith's trade at Deansville. He then
went to Clinton, where he worked at his trade three years, then to Deansville, where
he remained about six months. In 1872 he came to Ontario Center, where he has since
had a successful business. He married, March 20, 1871, Mary DowDarrow, a native of
Oriskany Falls, by whom he has had five children : Minnie, William B., Seymour, Lizzie,
and Grover. He is a Democrat in politics.
Shepard, Albert, was born in the town of Galen, October 16, 1834. His father,
Harry, and grandfather, Silas Shepard, came from the northern part of Vermont, near
Lake Champlain, and settled three miles northeast of Clyde, when the country was new,
taking up a farm from the United States Government, and which is still in the posses-
sion of the family, known as Shepard's Corners. Albert was educated in the common
schools, finishing at the Clyde High School, after which he returned to his father's farm.
At the age of twenty-nine he married Phoebe McNeill, and they are the parents of two
sons: Fred and Harvey. After his marriage he took up his residence on his farm on
the Clyde and Rose plank road, where he continued to reside until the year 1889, when
he was appointed keeper of the County Poor House, where he still remains.
Stanford, Daniel J., was born in Oneida county April 7, 1837, a son of Richard and
Sally A. (Thorn) Stanford, early settlers of Oneida county, who came to the town of
Ontario, Wayne county, April, 1858, where they spent the remainder of their days.
The father died October 1, 1889, aged 81 years; the mother, December 9, 1881, aged
68 years. The maternal grandfather, Daniel Thorne, was in the war of 1812, taking
the place of his son, who was drafted. Jonathan Stanford, the father of Richard, was
104 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
one of the first settlers of Oneida county, where he lived and died. Daniel J. Stanford
received a common school education and was by occupation a farmer. In 1858 he
came to Ontario, Wayne county, with his parents, and in August, 1862, enlisted as a
private in Company B, 138th N. Y. Volunteer Infantry for three years, and during the
war was in the battles of Coldharbor, Monocacy, Winchester and Cedar Creek, where
he received a gunshot wound in the right leg which disabled him for life. He was dis-
charged as a sergeant of Company B, 9th N. Y. Heavy Artillery, from the Satterlee
U. S. General Hospital. Philadelphia, Pa., July 31, 1865, by reason of the close of the
war. He then returned to Furnaceville, Wayne county, and was in the employ of the
Ontario Iron Company as weighmaster for five years, from May, 1870. From that time
he lived a retired life till 1889, when he was appointed assistant postmaster under
W. Birdsall at Ontario, and reappointed under Henry E. Van DerVeer in 1893; was
elected justice of the peace for the town of Ontario, Wayne county, in 1890.
Smith, Horace W., and Addison P., of Savannah, are the sons of Willis G. Smith,
who was for twenty years a practicing physician at Otisco, Onondaga county, and who
came to Wayne county in 1864, engaging in general merchandise business under the
style of Stults & Smith, on the site of the Newton House. He was a prominent figure
in the Presbyterian Church Society, and for several years was postmaster of Savannah.
In 1845 he married Almira Whitney, by whom he had these children : Chandler H.,
born in 1848, now of Iowa; Horace W., born January 1, 1852; Willis H., born in 1855,
now of Pasadena, Cal.; Addison P., born December 30, 1866, and Charles A., born in
1860, now of Madera, Cal. Willis G. died in California in 1891, aged sixty-nine years,
after a residence of five years at Pasadena. After an academic course in Lyons, Horace
W. Smith attended Grammar School No. 35 in New York city, and later the College of
the City of New York (now New York University), but on account of ill-health did
not graduate. For twelve years he practiced telegraphy at Clyde, Rochester, Syracuse,
and Troy, at the latter place being chief operator. In 1864 he formed a co-partnership
with his brother, Addison, as general storekeepers on Main street, Savannah, which stil
continues. He was postmaster from 1889 to 1894, was six years on the Board of Edu-
cation, three years as village trustee, etc. He is a Knight Templar of Zenobia Com-
mandery, and for five years was master of Savannah Lodge No. 764, F. and A. M. Mr.
Smith has rare oratorical powers, often using that talent as the exponent of justice and
right. May 29, 1877, he married Estelle O, daughter of James Carris, of Tyre, N. Y.,
and has two sons : Raymond W., born March 16, 1880, and Frederick O, born Decem-
ber 2, 1885. The business career of Addison P. Smith began at twenty-one years of
age, with E. N. Leonard. He succeeded his father in the management of a general
store in Savannah. Five years later, in 1884, Mr. Leonard transferred his interest
to Horace Smith, thus forming the present firm of Smith Brothers. May 8, 1884, Addi-
son married Cora, daughter of Delos Betts, of Savannah, and their children are: Florence
May, born June 12, 1885; Anna Whitney, born May 2, 1887. Like his brother, Mr.
Smith is an ardent Republican, at present representing Savannah in the County Legisla-
ture for the second term. Besides the many minor offices of trust, which come un-
sought to the man of ability and enterprise, he served for seven successive years as
Sampson, Thomas, was born in the town of Lyons January 7, 1826, being born and
remaining on a farm, he followed that as an occupation. Thomas Sampson, sr., his
father, came to this country from England in 1806, then thirteen years old. He settled
at Lyons, where he continued to live up to his death, which occurred in 1868. Mr.
Sampson married Melinda Clark, of Penfield, September 3, 1821. They were the
parents of five children, of which there are three living, including Thomas. Thomas
Sampson, jr., married Anna Underbill, September 3, 1856, and to them were born seven
children, five of whom are living. Mr. Sampson is a farmer. In politics he is a Repub-
lican and has served as assessor twelve years, and as town clerk. He is a member of
the M. E, church.'
FAMILY SKETCHES. 105
Smith, Menzo, of Macedon, was born in the town of Ontario, Wayne county, April
28, 1839, a son of David Smith, a native of Ontario county (now Wayne county), who
was born in Palmyra June 5, 1805. The latter married Arvilla Pratt, a native of
Madison county, by whom he had five children three now living. David was also a
farmer and lived in the town for thirty years, dying December 24, 1893, his wife having
died about sixteen years previously. Shubal Smith, the grandfather, conducted a dis-
tillery where the Downing Brothers' malt house now stands in the village of Palmyra.
Our subject has always followed farming. In December, 1869, he married Hannah,
daughter of Seth Beal, one of the oldest families in this part of the county, and they
have had five children : Beal Mj, Frank E., who died aged eight years ; Mary E., Walter
P., and Agnes G., all residing at home at the present writing. Mr. Smith is a Repub-
lican and served in the late war for nine months, in the 111th N. Y. Volunteers, Com-
Sutton, Ezra B., was born in Seneca Falls in 1850, and in 1870 became associated
with the Cleveland Base Ball Club, as third baseman, remaining with that club until
1873, when he joined the Athletic Club of Philadelphia, remaining there until the close
of 1876. He was then with the doston Base Ball Club until 1890, being in conninual
service as third baseman throughout the seasons of base ball for more than twenty
years. In 1886 he bought his home in Palmyra, and since 1890 he has furnished about
1,200 tons of ice annually to the citizens of Palmyra, cutting it all from his own
pond. March 13, 1872, he married Susie M. McKeg, and their children are : Bessie,
born in 1874, died in 1881, and Georgia May, born in 1889.
Sawyer, S. N.. was born in Palmyra in 1858, and educated at the Classical Union
School here, and at the Phillips Academy, Andover, Mass. He read law with S. B.
Mclntyre, and at the Albany Law School, and graduated in 1883. He then began the
practice of his profession in partnership with David S. Aldrich, under the firm name of
Aldrich & Sawyer, which firm continued till January 1, 1889, from which time he was
alone until July, 1893, when he took a partner, and the firm became Sawyer & Tinkle-
paugh. He was justice of the peace one term, village clerk from September, 1884, till
April, 1893, when he was elected president of the village, and re-elected in 1894. He
has been district attorney since 1889, and in politics is a Republican. He is also promi-
nent in Masonic orders, being past master of Palmyra Lodge, No. 248; F. & A. M.,
past high priest of Palmyra Eagle Chapter, No. 79, R. A. M.; past master of Palmyra
Council, No. 21, R. & S. M.; past commander Zenobia Commandery, K. T., No. 41 ;
past district deputy grand master of Grand Lodge, of the State of New York. He is
at present member of the Commission of Appeals, of Grand Lodge, of the State of New
York. He was for three years secretary of the New York State League Building and
Loan Association. October 20, 1885, he married Augusta, daughter of Rev. John G.
Webster, of Palmyra, and they have two daughters. Samuel W., father of our subject,
was born in Camden in 1821, and moved to Macedon in childhood. He came to Pal-
myra about 1840, where he has since resided. He has served as assessor, trustee and
president of the village.
Sweeting, William H'., M.D., was born September 22, 1851, at Victory, Cayuga
county. His father is Mortimer F. Sweeting, M.D., a native of Oneida county, who
came into Wayne in 1853, being still a practicing physician at South Butler. His
mother is Colan, daughter of Israel J. Clapp and Betsey (Swain) Clapp, of Butler, both
deceased recently, at the advanced ages of ninety-seven and ninety-five, respectively.
William H. Sweeting received the basis of his education in South Butler, and at nine-
teen years of age entered Cornell University, taking a scientific course. At twenty-
three he entered the office of the Deputy Secretary-of- State Anson S. Wood, as clerk of
criminal statistics. In 1878 he began the study of medicine with his father, and a year
later entered the Hahnemann Medical College at Chicago, remaining two years, and re-
106 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
ceiving his diploma in 1881. He began practice in Lyons, removing to Savannah in
1882, where he has since resided. January 15, 1885, he married Mary E. Van Wickle,
daughter of Simon and Maria (Lloyd) Van Wickle, of Savannah, by whom he has two
children: Charles Lloyd, born May 16, 1890, and Marjory Amelia, born May 14, 1893.
Dr. Sweeting has a large practice, and is very popular among his townspeople.
Sweeting, Volney K., was born in Camillus, Onondaga county, September 19, 1840,
a son of Mortimer F. Sweeting; remained there until about ten years of age, when he
removed to South Butler, Wayne county, was educated in the common and classical