furnishes ice for the village of Marion. He is a member of the K. 0. T. M., Security
Tent, No. 137.
112 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
Sprague, L. S., M.D., was born in Bristol, Ontario county, April 22, 1820, one of eight
children of Dr. Philetus and Laura Seymour Sprague, the former born in 1780, and the
latter in 1783. They came to Bristol from Connecticut in an early day and went to
Cayuga county in 1822, and in 1850 they removed to Battle Creek, Mich., and there Dr.
Sprague died in 1853, and his wife in 1858. He was a member of the Medical Society
of Cayuga county. L. S. Sprague was reared on a farm until twelve years of age, and
was educated in Mexicoville and Skaneateles Academies. At the age of twenty-one he
went to Kenosha, Wis., and read medicine for two years with Dr. E. C. Mygatt, and
then one year with his father ; also spent one year with Dr. E. W. Bottum in Huron,
Wayne county. He next took a course at Geneva Medical College, from which he
graduated in 1845, and began his practice in South Sodus, where he remained four
years. He came to Williamson in 1849, where he has a very successful practice. He
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
is a member of the Wayne county Medical Society, and an honorary member of the
New York State Medical Society ; also a fellow of the New York State Medical Asso-
ciation. Dr. Spragne married. June 29, 1849, Mary, daughter of Dr. Josiah Bennett,
and she died, August, 1877. Dr. Sprague and wife have had two children, Dr. J. A.
Sprague, and Ellen J., born in 1858, and now wife of Jacob Collier, of Williamson, and
they have also an adopted daughter, Mary C, born in 1870.
Towar, Alex. H., was born in Alloway, August 14, 1836. His father was among the
earliest settlers in the town. A. H. Towar was educated in the Lyons Union School,
after which he learned the jewelers' trade with W. D. Perrine. and remained ten years,
In 1861 he entered the service of the United States as purveyor to Jefferson county
35th Regiment, in connection with E. A. Dickerson, and re-entered the service at the
expiration of his term of two years with the 50th Engineer Corps and remained until
the close of the war, and then returned to Lyons and bought a farm, making a specialty
of coach and road horses. In 1892 he established the New Haven Silver Plate Com-
pany, which he still carries on. At the age of twenty-six he married Harriet E.,
daughter of Alexander B. Williams, of Lyons, and has one daughter, Frederica Towar.
Our subject is one of the most active business men in his town, taking an interest in all
educational and religious matters.
Towar, H. T., was born in Lyons September 2, 1832. His father, James, born in
1806, was also a native of the town. The grandfather was Henry Towar, and came to
Wayne county with Charles Williamson, agent of the Pultney estate, and settled in
Alloway, where he was prominently known, erecting the mills and dug the raceway
at that place. He came from Alloa, Scotland, and gave the name of Alloway to that
place, where he settled. The family were among the French Huguenots that were
driven out of France by the revocation of the edict of Nantes and went to Scotland,
and came from there to the United States. Henry Towar conveyed Louis Phillippe,
King of France (in exile), from Newtown (now Elmira) to Harrisburg on a flat boat.
H. T. Towar was educated in the Lyons Union School, after leaving which he chose
the profession of dentistry, studying under E. W. Sylvester, of Lyons, and estab-
lished himself in business in 1855, and which he now carries on. At the age of
thirty-one he married Mary A., daughter of Hon. Alexander B. Williams. Our sub-
ject is one of the leading men in his profession in Lyons, identified in advancing the
best interests of his town also in educational and religious matters, and has been con-
nected with the Grace church of Lyons since 1852, and is now senior warden.
Taylor, William, was born in Sodus, Wayne county, July 26, 1844. His father, E. P.
Taylor, came from Northampton, Mass., to Lyons in 1805, and was one of the first
tanner and curriers in Wayne county, and the business is still continued by his son,
who makes a specialty of rough and sole leather. Our subject was educated in Lyons
Union School, to which he has added through life by reading and close observation.
At the age of twenty-four he married Mary M., daughter of Alfred Underhill, of
New York, and they have three children : Willard U., Morgan D., and Myron C. He
FAMILY SKETCHES. II'!
takes an active intelligent interest in educational and religious matters, and is identified
in advancing the best interests of his town, and is recognized as a man of high business
ability and sterling worth.
Warner, John A., was born in Ontario August 12, 1835, the third child of eleven
children born to Alanson and Catharine (Albright) Warner, natives of Worthington
Mass., and Holland respectively, she being five years old when she came to America!
In 1816 Alanson Warner came to Ontario with his parents, Andrew and Chloe (Fair-
man) Warner. Andrew Warner was born in Mansfield, Conn., in the year 1778, the
son of Matthew and Eunice (Stowel) Warner. Matthew Warner's paternal ancestor
was one of those brothers, who came from England at an early day previous to the
Revolutionary War. Matthew Warner had a brother named Andrew, who was a
soldier in the Revolutionary War, and who had a powder horn made for him and carved
with his name and a picture of the first liberty pole ever raised in America. This
powder horn descended to his nephew, Andrew Warner, who was a teamster in the
War of 1812, and is still in the possession of the family of our subject. Alanson
Warner was a farmer and spent his days in Ontario. He died November 3, 1883, and
his wife now lives in Ontario at the age of 83. His father died in Ontario in 1871 and
his mother in 1867. John A, Warner was reared on a farm, educated in the common
schools and Walworth and Macedon Academies, is a carpenter by trade and followed it
thirty-three years. He also owns a farm of ninety-seven acres, follows general farming
and fruit raising and has fifteen acres of orchard and six acres of berries. Mr. Warner
is a Republican, and he and his family are members of the Second Advent church. He
married in 1860 Harriet Morris, a native of Springwater, Livingston county, N. Y.,
born July 10, 1838, daughter of Lyman and Anna (Millet) Morris. He is a native of
Cazenovia, Madison county, and she of Williamson, Wayne county, N. Y. They had
ten children and died in Livingston county, he April 18, 1865, and she May 11, 1874.
Subject and wife have had six children : Clarence M., Rosco D., deceased ; S. Edith, A.
Emma, deceased ; Francis L. and Arthur A.
Waldorf, Reuben, was born in Columbia county, N. Y., in 1840. His father, Peter
Waldorf, now eighty-two years of age, is a resident of Clyde. His mother, Hannah
died in 1884, leaving a family of ten children, of whom our subject is the sole represen-
tative in Wolcott. Until 1870 he remained at Clyde with his parents, purchasing at
that time the farm, where he has since^resided. February 16, 1869, he married Lottie,
daughter of Henry Sheldon, and of their four children, two are now living: Harry,
born March 11, 1872, and Frank, born February 11, 1877. Lena, born June 26, 1870^
died in infancy, and Mae, born November 4, 1873, died when 18 years. old. The eldest
son, Harry, is a graduate of the 0. C. Seminary at Cazenovia, N. Y., and now occupies
a position as teacher at Leavenworth Institute, Wolcott, N. Y.
Wood, Sidney W., was born in Kingston, Ulster county, April 10, 1829. His
father, Israel Wood, a native of G-oshen, N. Y., came to Wayne county in 1830, and
purchased a farm in the southwest part of Galen. He died in 1834, aged 44 years. S.
W. Wood was educated in the common schools, after which he learned the machinist's
trade at Geneva. In 1866 he came to Clyde and established the machine works, in
connection with his brother, Seth H., which is now carried on under the firm name of
S. W. Wood & Son, manufacturers of portable and stationary steam engines and
boilers, and for which they have received awards from all parts of the States of New
York, Pennsvlvania, Michigan and Maryland. At the age of twenty-five he married
Catherine Whitmore, who died in 1868, and in 1876 he married second Catherine
Queeman. By his first wife he had three children : Henry S., Ray G. and Ella.
Taintor, C. A. L,, was born in Butler, where he now resides, January 24, 1845. He
is the youngest son of the late John R. Taintor, M. D., who died in 1879, aged
114 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
eventy-five. John R. Taintor wasjoneof the early settlers of Butler/erecting amidHis
primeval forest a frame house, which is now the home of his son, C. A. Taintor. in
wife, Roxana, was the mother of eight children, and died in 1879. John R. died
1866, aged about seventy-five years.
Ellenwood, Ensign W. (deceased), was born October 26, 1818, in the town of Butler
and early in life removed to the town of Rose. At the age of twenty- three he married
Catherine, the adopted daughter of Benjamin Fisk, who died in 1887. Mr. Illenwood
married in 1889 Mrs. Sarah J. Brant, daughter of John Holmes, of Salisbury, Conn.
Our subject was a prominent man in his town and county, was banker fifteen years at
Wolcott, and a large dealer in real estate in different parts of the county. Highly
educated and intelligent, he was a passionate lover of music, and was for some years
teacher throughout his county. He was killed in crossing the railroad track at New-
ark. He was seventy- one years of age on the day of the accident. Egbert Brant
(deceased), was born in Dutchess county in 1821, came to Wayne county in
1826, and settled in Sodus. He followed farming, and buying and shipping cat-
tle. At the age of twenty he married Sarah J. Holmes. He was prominently
identified in advancing the best interests of his town, and took a leading part in the
formation of the militia of his county in 1839, holding the rank of sergeant, lieutenant
and captain, and quartermaster, till they disbanded. In the fall of 1862 he was taken
ill, confined to the house all winter, and continued in gradually weakening health till
his death, April 2, 1875, regretted by all who knew him. He bore his sufferings with
the greatest patience, and those who knew him best loved him most.
Bumpus, E. D., was born in Madison county, January 30, 1831, son of James and
Eliza A. (Caswell) Bumpus, he a native of Nelson. Madison county, born in 1798, and
she a native of Fenner, same county, born in 1801. The paternal grandfather, Salathiel
Bumpus, was a native of Massachusetts and came to Nelson, Madison county in 1794,
where he died. The maternal grandfather was Zelotus Caswell, who died in Fenner
Madison county. The father of subject died in Fenner July 5, 1871, and his wife in
1876. Subject was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools. He went,
to California in 1859, engaged in mining for seven years, and in 1869 settled on the
farm he now owns of 150 acres, and follows general farming. He married in 1865
Charlotte Whipple, a native of Fenner, Madison county, and daughter of Elisha and
Lucy Whipple, who died in Nelson, Madison county. He attends and supports the
M. E. Church.
Stalker, Robert, a native of Rochester was born September 19, 1843, son of Isaac
and Esther (Clague) Stalker, he a native of Isle of Man, born in 1813, and she a native
of the same place, born in 1809. The paternal grandfather was Thomas Stalker a
native of England, who emigrated from the Isle of Man to Rochester in 1828, where he
died in 1857. His wife was Catharine Lord, a native of Isle of Man and of Scotch de-
scent. She died in Rochester in 1856. The father of subject was a wool sorter by
occupation, and came to Rochester in 1826 where he died in 1885. He was secretary
of the old volunteer fire department in Rochester, was an exempt fireman at the time of
his death, and a member of the police force for a number of years. His wife died in
1887. Subject was reared in Rochester, was a wool sorter twenty years, and was on
the police force from 1873 to 1877. He was also a member of the old volunteer fire
• department a number of years. He came in 1878 to Walworth and purchased forty
acres, but now owns seventy acres. He married, July 5, 1869, Henrietta Deane, a
native of East Walworth and daughter of John and Mary (Mercer) Deane, natives of
England who came to Walworth in an early day, and died in Macedon. Mr. Stalker
and wife have four children: Charles A., born March 11, 1870, in Rochester, and educated
in the Walworth and Macedon Academies. He has followed farming and also was a
book-keeper for William Stalker of Rochester, and was in the hospital one year, where
he had his right leg amputated. He is a regular correspondent for the Wayne County
FAMILY SKETCHES. 115
Dispatch. He now holds the office of collector for the second time, and is secretary
of the Phoenix Lodge No. 276, I. 0. G. T. ; Eobert W., born March 27, 1872, who
resides at hcne and has charge of the farm; Harriet E., born August 29, 1874, and
died October 15, 1883; and LillieB., born August 26, 1884.
Hoyt, Daniel, was born in Marion August 22, 1821, son of George and Harriet
(Skinner) Hoyt, he a native of Poinpey, Onondaga county, born June 29, 1796, and
she a native of New York, born in Marion April 8, 1800. George Hoyt came to
Marion with his parents, Asahel and Rhoda Hoyt, who lived and died in Marion. He
was a butcher by trade and died November 13, 1848, and his wife in Walworth March
7, 1871. In 1850 Mrs. Hoyt married a second time John McCall, born in 1798, justice
of the Peace in Walworth. He came from Monroe county previous to the war. and
died September 9, 1870. Our subject learned the blacksmith and carriagemaker's trade,
followed it twenty-eight years and then purchased in 1861 the farm he owns at present
of sixty-five acres, He is a member of the Patrons of Husbandry. He married twice,
first in February, 1853, Mariett Cogswell, a native of Marion and daughter of Joseph
Cogswell, by whom he had two children, Egeron E., born January 5, 1854, wife of
George L. Lee, a merchant of Walworth. They have three children, Clinton, Marietta,
and Daniel H. ; Frank M., born June 21, 1855, who graduated from Bellevue Medical
Colleee in 1878 and practiced medicine in Brookline until his death July 15, 1887. His
wife was Isabelle Sinn, a native of Maryland, by whom he had two children, Frank M.
and Walter S. Mrs. Hoyt died April 15, 1870, and in December, 1871, he married
Esther G. Chase, a native of Walworth, born in March, 1836, a daughter of Lyman
and Martha A. (Andrews) Chase, natives of Massachusetts, he coming to Walworth in
1819, where he died. He was a cooper by trade and farmer, and they had nine chil-
dren. By a previous marriage to Comfort Green he had five children. Mr. Chase died
in 1864 and his wife in 1884.
Baker, J. W., born in Kent county, England, July 16, 1825, is the only child of
William W. and Charlotte (Eves) Baker, natives of England. He was born in 1803
and his wife in 1806. They came to Rochester in 1837, settled in Rochester, where Mr.
Baker died in 1862 and his wife in March, 1878. Our subject was raised in Rochester,
coming there at the age of twelve. He learned the carpenter's trade at twenty-four,
went to Marion and there resided four years, when he came to Walworth, where he
has since resided. He worked at his trade a short time, when in 1859 he engaged in
the mercantile business, in which he has been successful. Mr. Baker has been post-
master thirty-one years, first appointed in 1861. He married September 10, 1846,
Lucy A. Potter, a native of Marion, born April 20, 1825, daughter of Thomas and
Rowena (Hill) Potter. Mr. Baker and wife have had three children: William A.,
born October 1, 1847, who was educated in Walworth Academy and Rochester Uni-
versity, from which he graduated. He married Catharine Kane, a native of Roches-
ter, by whom he has had two children : George W., who died aged nine months, and
Minnie A., bom September 9, 1874 ; Charles H., born November 30, 1849, who was
educated in Walworth Academy. He married in 1883 Emily Parker, by whom he had
one son, John E., who died in infancy ; and Laura E., born August 10, 1851, educated
in Walworth Academy. She married Dr. H. L. Chase, of Palmyra, and they have two
children, Hattie and Willie.
Hoag, Myron L., Macedon Center, was born May 17, 1840, in Walworth. Humphrey
H., his father, was born in Macedon December 22, 1810, always followed farming, and
is still living in Macedon. Benjamin Hoag, the grandfather of our subject, was one of
the pioneer settlers. Humphrey Hoag held the office of supervisor and highway com-
missioner several years. He married in March, 1836, Rachel L. Briggs, and they had
four children : Isaac R., Henry C, Lindley M. and our subject, Myron L. Our subject
is a farmer, and at present is an extensive landowner in'Madecon. He married, Febru-
116 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
ary 8, 1866, Alice Smith, daughter of A. C. Smith, and they have had four children :
Nora E., Lena A., Willard S. (deceased) and Marian E. The family are devout mem-
bers of the M. E. Church.
John E. Baker was born on his present farm in 1836. His father, John Baker, was
born in England, came to this country in 1832, returned to England and married Eliz-
abeth Hall, and in 1883 settled here and bought the farm now owned by our subject.
In his family there were seven children including John E. Baker, who married Mary J.
Park in 1868, she a resident of Gates, Monroe county, and daughter of John and Rachel
Park. They are the parents of five children: Emma B. Everett, Fred D. of Rochester,
E. Percy, Albert M., and John, at home, the latter being the fifth John Baker by direct
descent. Mr. Baker is now justice of the peace in his third year. He is secretary and
treasurer of the Producers' Milk Company of Rochester, which has thirteen wagons now
running in the city, and in politics is a Republican.
Darling, Martin, was born in Milan, Dutchess county, February 28, 1840, son of the
late Peter Darling, who died December 27, 1891, aged eighty-two. Martin, educated
at Leavenworth Institute at Wolcott, taught a select school at Rose for a time, also in
the public schools. Some years of his earlier life were spent in Lowell, Mich., in a
wholesale grocery. Returning to Wayne county he traveled with tinware and house-
hold utensils until the opening of the Civil War, when he went to the front with Co.
D, of the 9th Artillery, a participant in their hard fought battles- until disabled while in
the hands of Mosby's guerrillas. January 11, 1866, he married Phoebe, daughter of Daniel
Lovejoy of Rose. Mr. Darling is a Republican, and while in Michigan was a deputy
sheriff. He is a member of the Odd Fellows and the Grand Army of the Republic.
Tator, Jacob, was born in Columbia county September 12, 1816. He was educated
in the district schools, and has always followed farming. January 30, 1845, he mar-
ried Phoebe T. Shumway of his own county, and they have one son, Cyrus A., who is
a business man in the gents furnishing goods business in Newark. The family came to
Phelps, Ontario county in 1859, where they resided until 1883 when he retired, but still
owns the farm. The son, Cyrus A., was born at the old home in Columbia county Feb-
ruary 28, 1847. He has married twice, first October 12, 1870, Mary J. Burgess of
Phelps, and they had one son Oay E., born November 3, 1879. She died November
27, 1880, and he married second October 5, 1887, Estella Cline, by whom he has one
daughter. Bertha C. Mr. Tator's father, George A., was born in Columbia county
March 8, 1877. He married twice, first to Gertrude Groat, by whom he had eleven
children: Henry, died young; George, Mary, Gustina, Catherine, William, Hannah,
Peter, John, Jacob, and Gertrude. Mrs. Tator died November 30, 1818. He married
second Mrs. Rebecca Miller, by whom he had six children : Margaret, Sophia, Harriet,
David, Sarah, and Henry second. Mr. Tator died irt 1832 and his wife in 1862. Mrs.
Jacob Tator's father, Iaaac Shumway, was born in Ohio September 6, 1786, and died
January 22, 1865. He married Mary Evans, born April 29, 1787, died October 23,
1861. They had eleven children. He was a soldier of the War of 1812. The family
came to reside here in 1848,
Clasby, Patrick W., was born in the province of Minster, Ireland, March 15, 1827,
came to the United States in 1848 and in 1856 to Clyde. At the age of thirty-two he
married Bridget Mulligan, daughter of Michael Mulligan, by whom he has three sons:
William J., Francis P., and James H., also one daughter, Mrs. Maria Crawley. In 1862
he bought the Darius Cole property of fifty acres, and in 1870 he bought the Sigmund
property of fifty acres. In 1872 he added fifty acres of the Abraham Ferguson farm,
and in 1887 bought fourteen acres of L. Malchoff, having nearly 165 acres in all, on
which he raises fruit, hay, grain and, stock. Our subject is one of the representative
farmers of Wayne county, taking an active interest in school and church matters.
FAMILY SKETCHES. 117
Smith, Gideon, of Macedon, was born here February 16, 1820, a son of Asa Smith a
native of Farmington, Ontario county, and a son of Jonathan Smith, one of the first
settlers of the town of Farmington, and a native of Massachusetts. The latter took
up a large tract of land in Farmington, and was one of the first to build a dam at
Manchester. He was killed at an early age, while raising a new building. Asa was a
mechanic, and also followed farming. He married Anna Herendeen, daughter of Wel-
come Herendeen. The mother of Anna was a member of the Durfee family of Pal-
myra. Asa and wife had these children: Elizabeth D., a namesake of her grand-
mother Durfee; Gideon H., Addison C, who died at an early age; George W., now in
California; Hulda Peacock (deceased), and Martha J. Appleby (deceased). Our sub-
ject worked at home until May, 1841, when he married Mary S., daughter of William
and Anna Clark, of Dutchess county, and settled on the farm he now owns in Mace-
don, comprising 114 acres. To this place he has added until he now owns 290 acres.
He has also just bought another of thirty acres, part of the old Colvin farm. Mr.
Smith is the oldest man living in the town who was born here, and has resided con-
tinually, a strict attendant at the Friends' church, of which Mrs. Smith has been a life
member, and in politics is a Republican.
Palmer, William A., was born in Argyle, Washington county, May 22, 1847, son of
Levi H. Palmer, born in Butler, Wayne county, in 1826. The grandfather was William
Palmer. Levi married Eleenor Sebring, of Wolcott, and their children are: William
A., Mrs. Amanda To'ungs, Levi and John. At the age of fourteen subject began life
for himself, has always been industrious and upright, and built a home for and sup-
ported his parents in their old age. In 1885 he purchased his present farm near the
village of Wolcott, and from 1877 to 1880 was interested as traveling salesman in the
nursery business. In 1880 he married Mary M., daughter of Elias Lasher, of Mont-
gomery county. Subject and wife are members of the Wolcott Grange.
Watkins, R. H, M.D., only son of Ralph and Emily Watkins, of Camillus, Onondasra
county, was born January 5, 1861. His father was a civil engineer and died in the
vicinity of Pike's Peak in 1860, while engaged in the United States geodetic survey.
His fate was never definitely ascertained. Mrs. Watkins thenceforward devoted her
life and energies to the education and advancement of her son. She died at her home
in Wolcott June 8, 1890, aged sixty-two years. Dr. Watkins was graduated from
Syracuse University in 1883, and after a year of practice at St. Joseph's Hospital,
Syracuse, he assumed medical direction of the Onondaga county insane. In 1888 he
came to Wolcott. He married, July 15, 1891, M. Addie, daughter of H. E. Cornwell,
Wheeler, Hiland Hill, was born at Cairo, Greene county, November 23, 1808,
the offspring of three of the early and iufluential families of Connecticut, his mother,
Grizel Osborn, his grandmother, Sally Burr. His father, Eli Wheeler, who had emi-
grated from New England, came to Butler in 1810 with his aged parent, Jedediah
Wheeler, who, dying soon after, was the first white man known to be buried in that
town. Reared in the wilderness, scholastic advantages were rare ; but native talent
and a desire for mental development and knowledge made up for the lack. A few
months' attendance in the common schools and a short course with Dr. Ostrander at his
academy in Lyons supplementing a habit of assimilating whatever came under his ob-