servation, keen at all times, made him a more than ordinary scholar — an educated man.
In early manhood he went West in search of fortune, and spent a season in Cincinnati,
but ill-health compelled his return. He went to New York city, studied law, and
practiced successfully till about the year 1860. Financial reverses, the loss of three
children in quick succession, the disappointments incident to his life, a retiring disposi-
tion, a love of quiet study and attachment for the home of his childhood brought him
back to his country residence, where he passed his days until his death, July 1, 1894.
In 1842 he was married to Margaret, the daughter of Robert Mathison, a merchant of
118 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
New York city, and Sarah Nelson, his wife, of Scotch-Irish and English parentage.
She died in the year 1865. They had eight children : Annie, Hiland H., Robert M.,
Margaret, Lauder M,, Thurlow W., Claude H., and Stella, of whom the former two
and the latter two survive. He was a mettlesome boy, full of life and activity,
physically and mentally ; a business man, prompt, thorough, clear-headed, painstaking,
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
and capable of great endurance ; a citizen, quiet, law-abiding, patriotic, honorable; a
husband and father, generous, indulgent, and loving ; a friend and neighbor, kind,
sympathetic, self-denying, and benevolent; a gentleman of the old school, courteous
and reserved ; a Christian, pure, devout, and consistent ; a man of rare exactness and
patient persistence, in intellectual acquisition, and in the proper conduct of life accord-
ing to the standard of principles adopted in early life, maintained unflinchingly. His
motto was, " Be calm," and his self-control was remarkable. He took a deep and
lively interest in the affairs and progress of the whole world, reading, thinking, and
writing about them almost to the day of his death. Extreme diffidence and a too
great confidence in the rectitude of humanity interfered with the obtaining of such a
measure of what men call success in life, as his talents unquestionably entitled him, and
as he doubtless desired. But his life was successful in the accomplishment of the wish
he often expressed. The world is the better off for his having lived in it.
Fisher, John N., was born in Williamson November 16, 1857. He is the youngest of
four children of James and Diana (Laco) Fisher, who settled in Williamson in 1844,
where he died in 1866, and his wife in 1893. Mr. Fisher was always a farmer, and was
a Republican. Subject was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools.
He has made his own way in the world, owns thirty-seven and one-half acres of land,
and follows general farming and fruit growing. He was a Republican. He married in
February, 1887, Jennie Wemesfelder, a native of Walworth, and daughter of Jacob and
Mary Wemesfelder, and they have had one child, Mervyn, born November 11, 1887.
Garlock, Frank, was born in the town of Phelps, Ontario county, October 4, 1852.
He was educated in the district schools in the town of Manchester, came to Newark
and attended the Union school and Academy. At the age of seventeen he became a
clerk in the post-office and was a clerk for two years. He then came to the store he
now occupies and owns, as clerk for J. S. Cronise & Co., eight years; then became a
partner as junior member of the firm. In 1886 Mr. Cronise retired from the business,
and Mr. Garlock bought the entire stock of hardware and building supplies, and is still
conducting it with success. The Reed Manufacturing Co. was organized October 1,
1890, for making anti-rust tinware and specialties. He is its manager, director and stock-
holder. September 15, 1875, he married Alida Brown of Port Gibson, N. Y,, and they
had five children : Frank F., Mabel F., Alida M., Harriet E., and Jennie E. Mr. Garlock's
father, James, was born in the town of Phelps June 1, 182S. He was educated in the
Union school at Phelps, and is a machinist and pattern maker. February 6, 1851, he
married Elizabeth Van Dusen of his native place, and they had two children, Frank, as
above noted, and Jennie E., now Mrs. Charles A. Welcher, of Newark. The ancestry
of this family is German and Dutch.
Campbell, W. P., was born October 3, 1853, at Adams, Jefferson county. His father,
Alexander, who died in 1889, was a Seventh Day Baptist clergyman and evangelist,
and during a public life of fifty years and the founder of the De Ruyter Institute in
Madison county, known as the first high school of that denomination. William was
educated at Verona, Madison county, and at seventeen years of age was placed in
charge of a large merchant milling business. September 28, 1874, he married Elizabeth,
daughter of H. C. Coon, of De Ruyter, and their children are : Glennie M.,who died in
1887, when six years four months old ; Alexander, born September 4, 1884 ; and Wil-
liam P., born March 8, 1893. In 1875 Mr. Campbell engaged in the clothing business in
Wolcott in partnership with Delos Whitford, conducting the same until his appointment
as postmaster in 1890.
FAMILY SKETCHES. 110
Pritcbard, John, youngest son of William and Lydia Pritchard, was born in Butler in
1843. The elder Pritchard, born in Albany in 1810, came to Butler when eleven years
of age, driving an ox team to Albany, a prodigy of youthful endurance and resolution.
He became a citizen of prominence, and was at various times assessor and overseer of
the poor, and died in 1884. His wife, Lydia, surviving him four years, and reaching
the age of eighty-one years. Our subject enlisted in 1862 in the Ninth Artillery, and
experienced all the vicissitudes of a' soldier's life until the close of the war. A brother,
Chester B. Pritchard, enlisted August 22, 1861, in the 75th N. Y. Vol., re-enlisted in
January, 1864, was killed at the battle of Winchester September 19, 1864. His wife is
Mary, daughter of Jeremiah and Eliza Hollenbeck of Butler. They were maried Feb-
ruary 26, 1868, and have no children.
Rosenberg, M. M., was born in Seneca Falls September 28, 1847, was married to
Cora, daughter of Joshua Lautenschlager, February 8, 1832. They have one daughter,
Myrta Mae, born November 19, 1884. His father, the late Andrew Rosenberg, moved
from Seneca Falls thirty years ago to the town of Butler, his occupation being carpen-
ter and joiner. He followed his occupation until his death, which occurred July 2,
Hamm, Andrew J., was born in Walworth November 27, 1861, the only child of
Jacob and Margaret (Smith) Hamm, the former a native of Columbia county, whose
parents were Andrew and Hannah Hamm, also of that county, who in 1854 came to
this town. Jacob was a farmer, and the first hop grower in Wayne county. His
widow now resides on the homestead, where his death occurred January 3, 1892. Our
subject was educated in Walworth and Macedon Academies and Lima Seminary. He
is a farmer, and in partnership with his cousin, Edward Hamm, (who was reared by
Jacob), owns seventy-six acres of land and makes a specialty of hop growing, having
seventeen acres. He has also engaged in evaporating apples. In 1883 he married
Emma L. Butler, daughter of William Butler, by whom he has three children : Libbie,
Fanny and Bert. William M. Butler was born in Ontario, September 21, 1820, a son
of Orman and Lydia (Reed) Butler, and a grandson of Israel Butler, of Hartford, Conn.,
born in 1761, who was one of nine brothers who all served in the Revolutinary war.
Lamb, Chauncey B., was born in the town of Galen, October 7, 1819. His father,
Joseph Lamb, came from Connecticut to Wayne county in 1800, and there raised a
family of eleven children, of whom Chauncey B. is the only one now living. He was
educated in the old log school house, and is practically a self-made man. At the age
of twenty-three he married Elizabeth, daughter of William Vandemark, and they are
the parents of three children, two of whom are now living: Eugene Lamb and Mrs.
Catherine E. Hopkins. Eugene married Stella A., daughter of Charles Servis, and
they are the parents of one son, Charles, and one daughter, Grace. Alonzo married
Addie, daughter of Jacob Carven, and they have one son, Clarence. Our subject is one
of the oldest farmers in Wayne county, having 112 acres of land and raising fruit, hay,
grain and stock.
Fisher, Charles, was born in Alloway, Wayne county, N. Y., June 2, 1864. His
father came from Bakern, Glenminster, Germany, in 1858, settled in Alloway and fol-
lowed the blacksmith trade, which was his trade in Germany. Leaving school at the
age of sixteen Charles worked one year as a farm laborer. In 1881 he entered the em-
ploy of Tomas & Collier in Rose Valley, N. Y., learning the trade of his father before
him, returning to Alloway in 1884 and starting in business for himself in the small
shop owned by M. M. Rogers. Two years later finding his work increasing he built
two shops in that place. In 1893 sold out to William Kiser, came to Lyons and built
the block now occupied by him on Water street, as a carriage and sleigh repository and
a first-class horse shoeing shop, which is one of the finest furnished and largest in the
120 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
State. Being an expert at his business, and one of the best informed men on the
structure of the foot of a horse in Central New York, horses are sent him from all parts
of the country. At the age of twenty-four he married Martha Whitlock, who lived
less than a year, and in 1894 married Anna, second daughter of the late Chauncey Mus-
selman of Phelps, Ontario county, N. Y. Our subject is the leading man in his business
in Wayne county and surrounding counties, and is recognized as a man of sterling worth
Curtis, Daniel, was born in Marion November 1, 1808. He was reared on the farm
he owns, and educated in the common schools. He has always been a farmer and owns
150 acres of land, the farm his father settled. He has been highway commissioner and
poormaster. He married May 33, 1833, Harriet D. Peckham, a native of Palmyra,
born November 16. 1812 (died August 20, 1877), and daughter of Charles Peckham, one
of the early settlers of Palmyra where he lived and died. He was a merchant of that
placp. They had three children : Mary A. J., wife of Thomas Clark of Marion, who
has four children ; Charles D., born in 1839, who was raised on a farm and educated in
Marion Collegiate Institute. He married Mary A. Dean January 2, 1861, a native of
Marion, born April 2, 1841, daughter of Daniel Dean of Marion, where he died. Mrs.
Curtis died January 25, 1893, and Mr. Curtis has always resided on the homeatead.
Daniel F., born Sep'ember 12, 1852, physician of Rochester, who was educated in
Marion Institute, and graduated from Bellevue Medical College in 1878. The father
of Daniel was Seth, born in Connecticut November 24, 1878. He was a son of Daniel,
born May 15, 1735, whose father, Caleb Curtis, was born October 26, 1703 and died
November 25, 177S. Daniel died July 18. 1817. Seth Curtis married Mary A. Case,
born January 23, 1780. He died May 31, 1861, and his wife died October 8, 1834.
Powers, Israel, was born in Galen on the old Powers homestead March 26, 1836. His
father, Edwin Powers, was a native of Herkimer county, and came to Wayne county
in 1815, settling on the farm now occupied by his descendants. Edwin Powers died
in 1844, aged forty-four years, a man who was respected by all who knew him. Israel
Powers was educated in the district school house standing on the Powers estate. At the
age of thirty he married Phoebe A. Cooper, who died in 1879. He married second in
1882 Pauline L. Nichols, and they have two children: Porter I., and Lina E. In 1862
he purchased the homestead property of seventy acres, in 1886 purchased part of the
Israel Wise estate of forty acres, raising fruit, hay, grain and stock and making a
specialty of butter making. Our subject is one of the representative men of his town,
taking active interest in educational and religious matters.
Gates, Joseph J., was born in Sodus, N. Y., in 1844, and he is the third of the six
children of John and Elizabeth Gates. He is a native of Yorkshire, England. In 1831
he came to Sodus and died in 1886, and his wife in 1885. He was a farmer and owned
180 acres. Our subject was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools, and
has always been a farmer. He owned a farm in Williamson and traded it for the farm
he now owns, and has 124 acres. Mr. Gates is a Republican and a member of the
Williamson Grange. December 15,1880, he married Mary A. Hall, a native of Sodus
and daughter of John and Anna Hall. They have one son, William J.
Wood, Rose E., the youngest daughter of the late Cornelius and Elizabeth Foster
Wood, has her home among the historic associations clus'ering about the old homestead,
where her parents settled nearly seventy years ago, and where they lived and died.
They came from Saratoga county and into a wilderness almost unbroken. Six children
were the fruit of their marriage : Byron B., Eveington D., Francis A., Euphama E.,
Harriet E. and Rose E. Five children still survive their parents.
Russell, Darius F., was born in Williamson January 24, 1839, a son of Nathaniel and
Rachael W. (Prescott) Russell, he a native of Williamson, born in 1804, and she born
FAMILY SKETCHES. 121
in Vermont in 1803. She was a daughter of Capt. Zacheus Prescott, of the Vermont
militia, and her grandfather and two uncles were Revolutionary soldiers from Vermont.
Nathaniel was a son of Daniel Russell, who owned the farm now in possession of our
subject. Darius F. was reared on the farm, educated in the common schools arid in the
Marion Collegiate Institute, and began teaching at the age of eighteen, continuing for
seven winters. He was the first man to enlist in the first war meeting in the town of
Williamson, enlisting September 11, 1861, in Company], 17th N. Y. Vols. He served
three years in the Army of the Potomac, and was in the seven days fight before Rich-
mond, second battle of Bull Run, and other engagements. He enlisted for eleven dol-
lars a month when he could readily get twenty dollars for teaching. He is a Prohibi-
tionist and has been chairman of the Wayne County Prohibition Committee seven
years. For several years he was a member of the Prohibition State Committee, and
has served as delegate to their State Conventions several times. In 1888 he was a del-
gate to the National Prohibition Convention at Indianapolis, representing his congres-
sional district; and he voted for Clinton B. Fisk a? the nominee for president. He was
elected justice of the peace twice while residing in Marion. He is a member of the
grange and was master one year, and has also been chief of the lodge of Good Tem-
plars. He organized the Town Sunday School Association, of which he was president
seven years, leaving it in a flourishing condition. He and his wife are members of the
M. E. Church and he has taught the young people's class in the Sunday-school for
eighteen years, being also superintendent of the Sabbath-school a portion of the time.
March 9, 1865, Mr. Russell married Maria Van Ostrand, a native of Marion, and they
had two children, Fred. D., a real estate dealer, and Katie L., both residing in Buffalo.
His second wife was Dora V. Tuttle, a native of Steuben county, and they have three
children, Charles Prescott, Rachael E., and Mildred C. The father of our subject was a
strong anti-slavery, anti-whisky and anti-tobacco man, precepts which Mr. Russell has
followed strictly. He is now extensively engaged in fruit growing, cultivating four-
teen different kinds of fruit.
Burghdorf, Adonijah, was born in Huron in 1847, and is next to the youngest son of
the late Jacob and Miranda Burghdorf. Educated chiefly at Wolcott, he began farming
in Wolcott in 1867, coming to his present locality in 1894, after a residence of three years
in Victory. He married, January 1, 1870, Catharine, daughter of John Bloommgdale, of
Fairhaven, and their only child living is Harry, born in 1879. An elder son, Howard,
died May 7, 1891, when twenty years of age. From the residence of Mr. Burghdorf a
view of Lake Ontario may be obtained, this being the highest point of land in Wayne
Pangburn, George W., who in July, 1893, first assumed his duties as postmaster at
at South Butler, was born May 2, 1865 near the village of Clyde, in the town of Galen.
He was deputy postmaster during the latter part of Cleveland's first administration and
so well did he execute his official duties that his friends vigorously pushed his name to
the front for the postmastership at the beginning of President Cleveland's second term
which resulted, after a decidedly warm fight, in his being appointed. He is considered
an eminently capable and acceptacle official. He is the youngest son of William Pang-
burn, who is general traveling agent for A. W. Stevens & Son, of Auburn, N. Y. On
March 28, 1888 he married Minnie Draft the youngest daughter of Abram and Sarah
Dratt, of South Butler, N. Y. In connection with the post-office, Mr. Pangburn carries
a choice stock of cigars, tobaccos, stationery and confectionery.
York, Dr. George Dauson, was born in Huron, August 17, 1857, and is the son of the
Rev. George P. York, born January, 1831, whose father was John York born Decem-
ber, 1798, a native of Maine, of English ancestry, who came to Huron in 1819. His
wife was Mary H. Dawson, born May, 1799, and they had eight children, of whom
George P., the father of our subject, was the fourth, reared on a farm. Later he
122 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
studied for the ministry and is now a pastor of a Methodist Protestant church. He
maried first Elizabeth J., daughter of Nathaniel Tooker, of Huron, and they had two
children, George D., and Ella, who died at the age of twenty-three. His first wife died
in October, 1876, and in 1882 he married Ella J. Cole, of Jefferson county, N. Y. Rev.
George P. York, is now president of the Onondaga Conference. Our subject's prelim-
inary education was received in the Wolcott and Sodus academies, and at the age of
eighteen he commenced studying medicine wi}h Dr. E. W. Bottom, of Lyons, where he
remained four years. In 1881 he graduated from the medical department of the Buffalo
University, and in 1889 he took a course in the New York Post-graduate Medical Hos-
pital and has been in practice in Huron for thirteen years, enjoying a large and exten-
sive practice. In April, 1882, he married Minnie H, daughter of William W. and
Louisa Gatchell, of Huron and their children are : Louise E., born April, 1883 ; Edwin
Whittier, October, 1892. Our subject is a member of the Wayne County Medical
Society (of which he has also been president) and the Masonic order, Rose Lodge, No.
590, and has been county coroner.
York, Thomas, was born in Lyons November 21, 1830. His father, Thomas, came
from Maine with Robert York, who took part in the War of 1812, and were among
the earliest settlers in the county. Thomas was educated in the common schools, to
which he has added through life by reading and close observation. Afterward he
returned to his father's farm. At the age of forty he married Cephese, daughter of
Abraham Barclay, and they are the parents of three children : Edwin E., Albert T.,
and Sadie C. In 1860 he inherited the York homestead of seventy-five acres, which
has been in the possession of the family for ninety years, raising hay, grain and stock.
In August, 1862, he enlisted in the 9th N. Y. Heavy Artillery, being one of the non-
commissioned officers of that regiment, and took part in the battles of Monocacy Junc-
tion, Cold Harbor and other engagements, and received an honorable discharge at the
close of the war. Our subject is one of the conservative men of the town, identified in
advancing its best interests, and the leading events of the day.
Ellison, Richard T., a native of Dutchess county, born in 1834, it the only son of
Tripp and Mary Ann (Arnold) Ellison, natives of New York, he born August 6, 1792,
and she June 4, 1798. The grandparents were Thomas and Amy Ellison, natives of
Long Island, but early settlers of Dutchess county, where they died. Tripp Ellison was
reared on a farm, but learned the trade of tailor, at which he worked in Poughkeepsie.
He spent about fifteen years on a farm in Palmyra, Wayne county, and died in Palmyra,
Wayne county, March 8, 1853. His wife died November 12, 1841. Subject was
reared on a farm, and has always followed farming. He came to Walworth in 1856,
and bought the farm where he now resides in 1860. January 6, 1860, he married
Phoebe A. Parker, born in 1834, and daughter of John and Eleanor (Fields) Parker of
Walworth. John Parker died in 1873, and his widow survives him in Walworth.
Mr. and Mrs. Ellison have had one daughter, Celia E., wife of Leon M. Sherburne, of
Walworth. He has been justice of the peace since 1869, and eight years supervisor of
Walworth. He and wife attend and support the M. E. Church of Walworth.
Harrison, George, was born in the town of Palmyra November 19, 1819. His father,
Luman Harrison, was born in Cornwall, Litchfield county, Conn., in 1776, and came to
Palmyra in the spring of 1797. In 1811 he was married to Phebe Culver, who was
born at Southampton, L. I., August 5, 1793, and came to Palmyra in 1796 with her
parents, George and Ruth Culver, and the grandfather Moses Culver and family, travel-
ing by the inland water route, and landing near the east line of the town. In the spring
of 1811 Luman Harrison purchased of John Swift and James Galloway the grist mill,
and one acre of land on the south side of Mud Creek, together with about four acres on
the north side from Stephen Post, of Southampton, L. I., and Joel Foster, of Palmyra;
upon this he built a house, moving into it the same year. There they lived during their
FAMILY SKETCHES. 123
entire married life. As a farmer, miller and distiller Mr. Harrison was a successful busi-
ness man. Buying land as opportunity offered, he owned, at the time of his death in
1831, a farm of about 160 acres adjoining his first purchase. George Harrison has re-
sided from his birth on the premises purchased by his father in 1811. From 1839 to
1882 he carried on the farming and milling business with energy and success. At the
latter date his sons took charge under the firm name of Harrison Brothers. On the
19th of May, 1846, he married Susan Reeves of the same town, the only daughter of
Lyman and Hannah Arrilla Reeves, and to them were born three children : James L.,
born February 27, 1847 ; Jane Arrilla, now the wife of Rev. Willard K. Spencer, of
Adrian, Mich., born May 4, 1854, and Charles Reeves, born September 4, 1856. ' At
the age of twenty he received a commission from Gov. William H. Seward as aid-de-
camp to the brigadier-general of the 24th Brigade, N. Y. State Militia, and served as
such until the disbanding of the brigade in 1844. In politics he is a Democrat. In 1875,
after having filled several minor offices, he was elected supervisor of the town, and
held the office for five successive terms, ranking as one of the ablest members of the
board. In 1875 the old house which had been the birthplace of his father's children
and his own, was removed and a commodious new house was erected on the same site
in which he still lives.
Gilbert, N. B., was born near Canaan Four Corners, Columbia county, on a farm
February 9, 1802. He was the oldest of seven children, and at the age of about four-
teen his father died. From that time he assisted his mother in rearing the family, and
about six years later they removed to Troy, where Mr. Gilbert learned the carpenter and
joiner's trade, at which he worked summers, teaching school in the winter. He had a
select school at the Townsend Nail Works (now the Burden Iron Works). March 29,
1829, he married Mary Ann Swartwout in Troy and soon after removed to the old home-
stead, conducting the farm and also engaging in carpentry at which he employed sev-
eral men. In 1837 he came with his family to Lock Berlin, Wayne county, and en-
gaged at his trade. In the summer of 1838 he built the church at Lock Berlin and soon
after one at Fairville and another at Junius, Seneca county. He was elected superin-
tendent of schools of the town of Galen, serving a number of terms, and was elected
justice of the peace in 1841. In 1849 he engaged in the manufacture of carriages, em-
ploying from eight to twelve men, continuing to the time of his death in December,
1875, aged seventy-three years. His wife died in June, 1889, aged eighty-one. He
was a Whig and later a Republican on the formation of that party, and was an active
politician. He was a prominent member of the M. E. Church and active in the cause