George Washington Cowles.

Landmarks of Wayne County, New York online

. (page 73 of 107)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

were Jonathan and Ann Peacock, of England, who came to this country A J Pea-
cock was educated in Walworth Academy. He owns a farm of 114 acres of land with
as fine buildings as can be found in the locality. In 1873 he married Mercy M
daughter of Joseph Gould, who was a son of Daniel mentioned in this work. Joseph
was born in this town March 12, 1819, and has been one of the leading farmers of the
S'^f he now resides on Long Island. He married Julia T. Bancroft, born in
1823 by whom he had five children. She died March 17, 1876. Mr. and Mrs Pea-
cock have had one son, Ora S., who resides at home.

anSv G rP^°w m ^ ari ° n ? ae IV 816 '" the third of seven children of Garner
r!lW ^ ISi ' i \ n 1 tlVe ° f Massach usetts and she of Rhode Island. They
came to Marion in 1811, lived there until 1836, and then moved on the farm now
owned by subject, where Mr. Wait died April 5,' 1858, and his wife January 6 1874
He was assessor and commissioner of highways in Marion. He was in the war of
1812. Subject was educated ra the common schools, owns the old homestead of ninety-
nine acres, and follows general farming. He has been trustee of schools of Walworth

yZ 1% TS - "T 16 / ? 1843 ( ° Ct0ber 18 ) EmiJ y J - S weezey of Palmyra/daughter

of Isaac Sweezey who died when she was an infant. Mr. Wait and wife had two
children, Winfield S who is a traveling salesman for the Anti-Rust Tin Works of

l e Z*MoK / S W1 /n S ^? hnda Pulver ' ^ Wh0m he has °ne child, Elnora, wife of
Irvm McKinley of Onondaga county; and Minnie E, wife of Alex F. Estey of Wal-
worth, by whom she has two children Glenn W., and Floyd J. He is a traveling sales-



130 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.

Payne. George, a native of England, born July 20, 1840, is the youngest of six
children of John and Sophia Payne. My mother's maiden name being Reader, natives of
England, and there they died. Subject was reared in the town of Sheerness, county
of Kent, England. In the year of 1866 he came to this county. While in England he
worked eleven years in London at iron ship building, he worked on the Great Eastern
after the laying of the Atlantic cable, also on the Rapanhance, when being fitted for
the Confederate service. After crossing to America he worked in New York in a
boiler shop on Cherry street. He soon came to town of Macedon and engaged in farm -
ing and there became interested in concrecting wood for the railroad company with
George Glover and after four years in the wood business came to Walworth, pur-
chased a small farm of fifty-seven acres, where he now lives ; he has added 103 acres to
it known as Philites Miller farm. He has been highway commissioner and super-
visor of the town. Mr. Payne married August 4, 1860, Charlotte Copping of Eng-
land, by whom he has ten children, John, Lottie, Annie R., Flora, who were born in
England, and George J., Willie W., Walter J., John W., Nellie E., Guy, were born in
this country. Six are now living.

Johnson, Samuel J., was born in Waterloo, Seneca county, November 7, 1853, son
of George and Margaret Scott, natives of Ireland, he born December 25, 1811, and
she born in 1821. He came to the United States in 1836, and his wife soon after. He
was a gardener, a resident of Waterloo fifty-seven years, and died December 24, 1893,
and his wife February 10, 1886. They were members of the Presbyterian Church.
Subject was reared in Waterloo, N. Y. , and educated in the common scl ools. He
started in life working for Sidney Warner taking care of a carriage horse, learned the
tinner's trade of Julius Smith of Waterloo, and in June, 1878, came to West Walworth
and has since had a successful business. He owns a building 24x50 ft. which he oc-
cupies.

Brandt, George, a native of Walworth, born January 27, 1832, is a son of Joshua and
Susan Brandt. He was reared on a farm, educated in the common schools, and has al-
ways followed farming. He now owns two farms consisting of 140 acres. Mr.
Brandt married in 1855 Louisa L. Aldrich, a native of Henrietta, N. Y., born July 7,
1836, a daughter of Nathan and Oliva (Perry) Aldrich, who spent most of their life in
Wayne county. The father of Nathan Aldrich was Brice, a native of Massachusetts
and one of the early settlers of Farmington, Ontario county. The father of Oliva was
Elnathan Perrv. a native of Massachusetts, who was seven years in the Revolutinary
war, being captain part of the time. He fought at Bennington, Saratoga, Monmouth,
Ontario, and was present at the surrender of Cornwallus. He served three years under
Lafayette, came to Rush, Monroe county in 1806, and was one of the first to enlist in
the war of 1812. He died July 5, 1849, aged ninety-one years. Mr. Brandt and
wife have three children, Emma J., wife of Gardner L. Tiffany of Walworth, and they
have two children Fred E. and Hattie L.; Nathan G., who married M. Albertie Allen,
of Penfield, and has two children George A. and Calla B. He is postmaster at Lin-
coln; and Hattie, who died aged twelve. Our subject represented Lyon & Fisk,
nurserymen in Rochester, and also traveled in Massachusetts, Connecticut and Michigan.

Bixby, John H., is a son of Nathan Bixby, who was born in the town of Green-
field, Saratoga county, in 1808 and came to Wayne county in 1836. He bought a farm
of 100 acres, a mile and a half northeast of Savannah, the birthplace and present home
of our subject. Nathan was twice married, the first time to Mary, the daughter of J.
J. Klock of Montgomery county, December 19, 1832, and there were born to them
seven children, -namely : Sally A., Caroline, Andrew, Jerome, Alphonso, Joshua K.,
John H. Mary died August 6, 1850. His second wife was Mary Deuel of Saratoga
county. He was a patriotic citizen, and in politics a strong Republican. The three
oldest sons, Andrew, Jerome and Alphonso, enlisted and served their time in the Union
army. Andrew was taken prisoner at the battle of Monocacy, and died in the rebel



FAMILY SKETCHES. 131

prison at Danville, Va. There are only two surviving members of the family, Jerome
of Castalia, Ohio, who is a general merchant and farmer, and John K., the subject of
the present sketch. John H. was born June 3, 1848, and married May 2, 1877, to
Mattie M., daughter of Abijah Spoor of Savannah. They have two children, namely :
J. Howard, born May 12, 1879, and George Raymond, born July 4, 1886. Mr. Bixby
is a prosperous farmer making a specialty of shipping dairy produce to Rochester. For
six years he has been a justice of the peace, and elected again to that office last spring
for a term of four years more.

Boynton, Lorenzo R., born in Walworth, May 12, 1815, was a son of George and
Annie (Twitchel) Boynton, he a native of Massachusetts, and she of Wayne county.
George came to Walworth at eighteen years of age, and there spent the remainder of
his life, dying at the age of sixty. His parents were Mary and Samuel (Robinson)
Boynton. Mary Robinson lived with Robert Treat Payne, one of the signers of the
Declaration of Independence, and spent her last days with her son, George. The family
are of English descent. George Boynton was a pioneer of Walworth and followed
farming. He had four sons and six daughters, of whom one son and four daughters
still survive. His wife died in 1834, and in 1835 he married, second, Sarah Hibner of
Penfield, who died in 1857. He was a Republican, and was justice many years. He
died in 1854. L. R. Boynton was a well informed man and before his death was pos-
sessed of 230 acres, on which he made many improvements and built a fine brick resi-
dence. He was twice married, first to Mary Hopkins, by whom he had one son and
one daughter, Frank H., an oculist in New York, and Mary, widow of Oliver
H. Palmer. Mrs. Boynton died October 7, 1854, and Mr. Boynton married second,
April 5, 1855, Harriet, daughter of Ransom and Eunice Northrup of Webster. Mr.
Northrup was a farmer by occupation. He died January 14, 1875, aged sixty-eight
years, and his widow lives with her children. Mr. and Mrs. Boynton have had four
sons : Charles H., graduate of Brockport and Rochester Colleges, three years in New
York Seminary, and is rector and pastor of the Episcopal Church of Geneseo, N. Y. ;
George E., graduate of Brockport, two years in Rochester College, and is attending
Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore ; Willis, graduate of Brockport and New York
Medical College, is practicing in New York ; L. R., graduate of Brockport and at the
death of his father came home, and has since had charge of the farm. The sons have all
been engaged in teaching, Mr. Boynton died August 16, 1890, was killed by a train at
Webster. Mrs. Boynton still resides on the farm. Mr. Boynton was a Republican and
served twelve years as magistrate.

Allyn, John L., of Macedon, was born in this town January 13, 1846, a son of Rus-
sell Allyn, who was a native of Connecticut, and came to New York State in an early
day. He was a carpenter by trade and took up farming later. He was at one time the
owner of the Macedon Mills. He was the father of seven children by his
first wife. His second wife was a Miss Servoss by whom he had five children.
He died in 1876 at the age of sixty-nine years, and the mother of our subject
died in 1876. Our subject, John L., came from the old pioneer family of Laphams,
so widely known in this section, has been a farmer all his life, and connected
with his farm is a small dairy from which he ships quite a quantity of milk. He mar-
ried Elizabeth Lapham by whom he had four children, of whom Nettie died September
17, 1892, aged twenty-three. His wife died and he married, second, Florence, daughter
of DeWitt C. Beal, one of the oldest families of this section.

Hogan, Sarah A., was before marriage Sarah McWithy, daughter of the late Timothy
Mc Withy, of Savannah. She is the widow of Augustus Horton Hogan, a well-known
resident of Savannah, to whom she was married October 2, 1850, and who left but one
child ; Eva J., born October 29, 1855. In 1877 Eva married F. E. Davis, then engaged in
mercantile business at Conquest, Cayuga county. He removed to South Butler in 1880,
erected a new and moderate building, and conducting a general store business. The



L32 LANDMARKS OP WAYNE COUNTY.

children of Frank and Eva Davis are : Charles, born 1878, and Raymond, born 1 880.
Augustus Horton was a staunch Republican, and an active worker for his party.

Eddy, Charles W., was born at Manchester, Vt., September 9, 1827, the son of
Stephen Eddy, who settled near Buskirk's Bridge, Rensselaer county, N. Y., in 1829,
and who reared a family of nine children. Of that family but three now survive, and
our subject is the oniy one in Wayne county. Charles bought a farm here in 1864, came
here in 1864, and by his industry and business ability has achieved an unusual degree of
success in his chosen calling, now operating nearly 275 acres. He has been honored
with many positions of trust, has served as commissioner of highways, and of excise,
and was for nine years an assessor. In 1868 he married Asenath Sprague, of Butler,
and they have four children: Sarah, Jennie, Mary, and Sprague.

Spurr, John, was born in England July 23, 1835, emigrating to America in 1836 with
his parents, Edward and Eliza Spurr, who settled at Burlington, Yt. During his boy-
hood, his father was engaged in business at Chittenango, as overseer in a woolen mill
and at Canaseraga, where he conducted a grocery. Edward and Eliza now live at
Yictory, Cayusra county, aged eighty-six and eighty-two years respectively. John
Spurr came to Wolcott in 1866, and has for twenty-eight jears been engaged in farm-
ing. He has four sons : Edward H., Macy, Clayton and Harrison. Edward, a
machinist is married and lives at Kalamazoo, Mich. During the war, our subject was a
soldier of Co. F, 160th N. Y. Vols., suffering imprisonment and sickness. He was dur-
ing the latter part of the war a wardmaster in the hospital at New Orleans, having
developed a valuable capacity as a nurse. Our subject is a member of the M. P. Church
of Y/ olcott, holding the office of steward and trustee.

Worthy, Henry, son of William and Rachel Worthy, of Williamstown, Mass., was
born at that place, September 19, 1825. William Worthy was a prominent farmer,
operating 300 acres of land. Henry and Elisha, of Williamstown, are the sole survivors
of a family of twelve children. Henry has been for twenty-one years a suburban resi-
dent of Wolcott, where he purchased a farm in 1873. His early life was spent as a
builder, erecting factories and mills at North Adams, Mass., where he remained fourteen
years. November 25, 1852 he married Hannah Larrabee, of Adams, Mass., and they
have five children : Abbott, Arthur, Charles, Leila, and Nellie. Leila is now Mrs.
George H. Green, of Port Byron, N. Y., and Nellie is Mrs. C. G. Walker, of Lyons,
N. Y.

Hendee, Alpheus (deceased), was born September 19, 1809, at Cazenovia, N. Y.,
came to Lyons in 1832, and engaged in the livery stable business. At the age of thirty
he married Rosetta, daughter of James Dunn, and they are the parents of four daughters :
Addie (Mrs. Kate Goodman) ; Mrs. Hittie Barton, and Eliza Hendee. In 1859 he
bought the George Gee property of fifty acres, in 1866 bought part of the Elisha Barton
property of thirty-three acres, and which is now carried on by the heirs in connection
with his son-in-law, Israel Goodman, who was a native of Bedfordshire, England, who
married Kate Hendee in 1878, and who are the parents of one daughter, Rosa, having
115 acres of some of the best farm lands in Wayne county, raising large amounts of
mint, hay, grain and stock, making a specialty of small fruits. Alpheus Hendee died in
1893. at the age of eighty-four years, respected and regretted by all with whom he
came in contact. He was always foremost in the furtherance of all good works.

Viele, Charles J., was born January 2, 1812, at Saratoga, came with his people to the
town of Wolcott when six years of age. His parents were pioneer farmers here, and
he has always followed the same vocation, besides dealing largely in Jive stock. He
married in 1834, Angeline Hibbard of Butler, who died January 8, 1889. Of their
three children one now survives, Lucius H., who married Emily Mackin, and now re-
sides on the homestead farm. Sarah E., who become the wife of H. A. Graves of



FAMILY SKETCHES. 133

Wolcott, died in 1870, and Columbus J., the youngest son, died in 1874. The latter
was a young man of much intellectual promise, and a practicing lawyer at the time of
his decease. He left a wife and one daughter. At the ripe age of eighty-two our
subject is still hale and vigorous; a genial gentleman, full of reminiscences of early
days.

Scott, Irving, son of Lewis and Evelyn (Brooks) Scott, was born at Cato, Cayuga
county, June 25, 1841. Lewis Scott died in 1887 at the age of seventy-seven, and his
wife in 1894, aged eighty-seven years. Irving has been a resident of Wolcott fifty
years, and has spent most of that period at home. He was a soldier of Gompany G-, in
the 9th Heavy Artillery. His wife was Fanny Scott, of Clay, Onondaga county,
daughter of William and Ellen Scott, whom he married November 25, 1886. They
have one child, Ella, wife of George L. Baker of Oswego. Mr. Scott and wife are
members of the M. E. church.

Westcott, Horace T., was born in Oneida county November 22, 1838. His father, J. H.
Westcott, was a farmer of Oneida county. Horace T. was educated in the common
schools, to which he has added through life by reading and close observation. At the
age of twenty-five he married Algenia daughter of Frederick Petrie of Vienna, Oneida
county, and they are the parents of three children : Edgar T., Arthur H., and Nora E.
In 1872 he came to Lyons and purchased the grocery on lot No. 56, which he has con-
tinued for the past twenty-three years. In 1883 he bought the Prime property of
seventy-eight acres, raising hay, grain and stock. Subject is a member of the M. E.
Church.

Killick, Henry, was born in Huntington, county of Kent, England, March 22, 1845.
His father, Henry, came to the United States in 1854, settled in Lockport, N. T., and
was a miller by trade, which was the business pursued by the family in England for the
past 200 years. Henry Killick married at the age of thirty-two Mary Alice, daughter
of Clark J. Munger, and they are the parents four sons: Harry O, Frank R., Wilfred
M. and Charlie E. In May,' 1885, he bought the Alloway Roller Flour Mills, making a
specialty of patent and fine pastry flour. Our subject is one of the prominent business
men in his town, taking an active interest in educational and religious matters.

Hammond, Burton, was born at Dover Plains October 18, 1856, was educated in the
common schools and finished at Willeston Seminary, East Hampton, Mass., after leaving
which he engaged in the mercantile business as clerk for three years, then read law with
G. & H. D. Hufcut, at Dover Plains, then read with Hon. D. W. Gurnsey, of Pough-
keepsie, and was admitted to the bar in May, 1878. At the age of twenty-two he mar-
ried Sophia A., daughter of William Van Marter, of Lyons, and they have five daughters.
In March, 1880, he came to Lyons and engaged in the practice of law, in 1886 entered
the surrogate's office and carries on a general law practice, making a specialty of cases
before surrogate's court. He is a Republican in politics, was chairman of the Republican
County Committee for seven years, and is now president of the Board of Education of
Lyons. Our subject is identified in advancing the best interests of his town, taking a
deep interest in educational and leading matters of the day.

O'Dell, Margaret, was born in the town of Rose. Her father, Russell Winchell, came
to that town in 1821 when it was but a wilderness without roads, making their way by
marked trees. He married Lucinda, daughter of David Ackerman, by whom he had
four children: Margaret, David A., Clarissa, and Betsey. He died in 1858 aged forty-
seven, and his wife in 1879 aged sixty-four years. Margaret, our subject, married
Alexander Harper, and in 1855 came to" the town of Galen to reside. They had three
children: Lydia S., Bud A., and Lucinda, Lydia S. Kelsey being the only one now
living. Alexander Harper died in 1871, and Mrs. Harper married in 1884 Ebenezer
O'Dell, who died in 1889. Our subject has one of the model farms of Wayne county,



134 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY

raising fruit, hay, grain and stock, and through life has been a member and liberal sup-
porter of the M. E. church of Clyde.

Syron, M. Barton, was born in Romulus, Seneca county, June 10, 1826. His father,
Jacob P. Syron, was a native of New Jersey, and came to Seneca county in 1823. In
1837 he moved to the town of Galen, Wayne county, where he died in 1853 at the age
of sixty- one. M. Barton Syron laid the foundation of his education in the old log school
house of his district and also attended the high school at Clyde for two winters. At the
age of twenty-three he married Lucinda, daughter of Ethan Angell, and they have
three sons and one daughter: Augustus C, William A., Fenton, and Mrs. Emma Foist.
In 1852 he bought the Waldraff property of fifty-three acres, and in 1863 he bought the
Peleg Meade property of 100 acres, having in all 140 acres, and raising fruit, hay, grain
and stock. Our subject is one of the representative farmers of his town, and takes an
intelligent interest in town affairs.

Luffman, William, was born in Elbridge December 4, 1823. His father. Abram, was
a native of Massachusetts. He came to Wayne county in 1827, settled in the town of
Wolcott, where he died in 1882 aged eighty-four. William Luffman was educated in
the common schools, and at the age of twenty-seven married Amelia, daughter of John
W. Hendrick, a native of Vermont, who came to Wayne county in 1814 and was among
the earliest settlers in Wolcott. Mr. and Mrs. Luffman have had eight children, seven
of whom are now living: Mrs. Arvilla Andrus, Mrs. Nellie Sanford, Mrs. William
Stetler, Frank E., and Mrs. Cornelius Stell, Edwin and Mrs. Carrie Roberts. In 1869
they came to the town of Galen and bought the David Ferguson property of 100 acres
raising fruit, hay, grain and stock. Our subject is one of the representative farmers of
his town, taking an active interest in educational and religious matters.

Ely, Charles H., was born in Williamstown, Mass., June 1, 1837. His father, Henry
L. was born in town of Lyme, of New London county, Conn. The family originally
came from England. Henry L. came to Clyde in 1870, and is a carriage maker by trade.
Charles H. was educated at Williamstown and finished at the Wilbraham Seminary in
Massachusetts ; then learned the carriage maker's trade with his father, came to Clyde
in 1872 and entered the employ of his father, and in 1882 established himself in busi-
ness and is a well-known manufacturer of fine carriages and sleighs. At the age of
twenty-five he married Abbie M., daughter of J. P. Bliss, and they have had five chil-
dren, three of whom are now living: Charles H., jr., Grace G., and Alice B. Our sub-
ject is prominently identified in educational and religious matters.

Howard, Frank, was born in Galen July 10, 1857. His father, William, came to
Wayne county from Lowville, Lewis county in 1836. He married Eliza A., daughter
of Allen Kennedy, of Dover Station, Dutchess county, N. Y. They have had
five children, two of whom are now living: Mrs. Ella Hoard and Frank. He died
in 1891, aged ninety-three. Frank Howard was educated in the common schools, to
which he has added through life by reading and close observation. At the age of
twenty-three he married Carrie B., daughter of William B. Sears, and they have four
children : William S., Stella N., May and Howard. In 1891 he took charge of his
father's estate of 200 acres, raising fruit, hay, grain, and stock, and making a specialty
of dairying, producing from 225 to 250 quarts of milk per day. Our subject takes an
active interest in school and church matters.

Porter, Ellory J., was born in Junius, Seneca county, January 2, 1848. His father,
George W., was a native of that town, the family coming from the Mohawk Valley.
Ellory J. was educated in the common schools to which he has added through life by
reading and close observation ; after which he returned to his father's farm. At the
age of twenty.two he married Buelah, daughter of Isaac Thorn, and they have four
children: George S., Lottie M., Mabel and Maud. In 1870 he came to Wayne county



FAMILY SKETCHES. 135

and settled in the town of Huron, and in 1875 removed to the town of Galen and pur-
chased the Furlong property of 108 acres, raising fruit, hay, grain and stock. Our sub-
ject is one of the representative farmers of his town, identified in educational and
religious matters.

Graham, Albert G., was born in the town of Huron, near the head of Great Sodus
Bay, August 30, 1831. His father, Henry, and mother, Roxana. were natives of Port
Byron. The family were among the early settlers in the Mohawk Valley. His educa-
tion was obtained in the common schools, to which he has added through life by reading
and close observation. At the age of twenty-four he married Eliza L., daughter of
Solomon Smith, who died in 1866, and he married second in 1867 Theresa, daughter of
David Waldur. He has two children, both by his first wife: Charles H., and Emma J.,
wife of Edward C. Delano, of Sodus Centre, N. Y. In 1864 he bought the A. F. Red-
field property of 100 acres; in 1876, the Grimsha property of eighty acres; in 1882, the
Edwin Gilderleve property of 102 acres, and now has 265 acres of some of the best
land in Wayne county, raising fruit, hay, grain and stock, and making a specialty of
milk, producing 450 quarts per day. Our subject is one of the most extensive farmers
in his town.

Cosad, Frank, was born in Junius, Seneca county October 6, 1853, son of James
Madison Cosad, a native of New Jersey, born in 1810. The grandfather was Samuel
Cosad, who came with his family to Seneca county in 1820. James M. came to Huron
in 1838, and conducted a hotel at Port Glascow. He went to California in 1848, five
years later returned to Huron and settled where our subject now resides. Later he
owned the farm now owned by William Robinson, where he died in 1893. His first
wife was Elizabeth Stout of Wayne county, by whom he had two children : Cassie
Robinson, of Huron, and George Combe. His second wife was Catherine Stout, born
in Arcadia in 1818, by whom he had two children : Farnk and Samuel. Subject has
devoted his time to farming, was educated in the Wolcott and Sodus Academies, and in
1876 came to the farm he now owns, consisting of 200 acres on which he has erected a