George Washington Cowles.

Landmarks of Wayne County, New York online

. (page 74 of 107)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

large and handsome dwelling; also a large and commodious barn suitable to such a farm.
He married in 1875 Mariam, daughter of Hiram Woodruff, of Huron, and their children
are Willis, born November, 1876, and James M., born in March, 1879. Mr. Cosad is a
member of the Order of Odd Fellows of Wolcott, and has served as assessor three
years.

Turner, Albert, was born in Ontario July 4, 1860. He is the youngest of seven chil-
dren of Thomas and Sarsh J.(Osborn) Turner, natives of England and came to Ontario
in 1852. Mrs. Turner died June 17, 1891, and the father resides with his son, Orrin.
Our subject was reared on the farm he owns, and was educated in the common schools.
He has a place of twenty-fonr acres, and follows gardening and fruit raising. He is a
Republican, and he and wife are members of the Free Methodist Church. He married
in 1884 Delle, daughter of John Pye, of Rochester. Mr. Turner and wife have two
daughters, Mabel and Bertha.

Berzine Family, The. — Philip Bruyzine, (the name was afterward changed to Ber-
zine), was a Frenchman, he emigrated to Holland, where he married a Holland lady, to
them was born one son. Philip, whose parents died when he was but eight years old.
He married at the age of twenty, and had three children, Philip, Susan and Mary. In
1848 they emigrated to America, where his son Philip married Mary DeCan. After be-
ing here about three years he and Henry Van Eenyck bought a farm of sixty acres in
the northwestern part of the town of Williamson. This farm was all heavy timber,
except a few acres next to the road, but by hard labor they soon cleared more of the
land. There was a log house on the place and here they enjoyed life for a time, father
and son being loved by all the neighbors. The son could adapt himself to any and all
kinds of work, and was an American from the time he landed on these shores until he



136 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY^

died ; he took great pride in learning the English language, and winter evenings he
spent with his American neighbors, and attending all religious and public meetings for
the purpose of being able to write and read the English language. As he was known
by all his neighbors for his ingenious qualities, he was once called upon by one of them
to superintend a bee to raise a log barn ; in some way the men let go of a log which
fell on him ; after suffering one day and night he died at the age of thirty years, four
months and twenty days, leaving a wife, and aged mother and three small children too
young to realize their loss. All that knew him felt that they had lost a friend and kind
neighbor. April 4, 1860, the father died at the age of sixty-three years. The three
children born to Philip and Mary De Can Berzine were Lucinda, James C. and Philip.
James C. learned the carpenter's trade and followed it sixteen years. After the death
of his father he went to farming which occupation he followed for seven years, and
then on April 1, 1883, he came to the village of Williamson and started in the furniture
and undertaking business which he has since continued successfully. He is a member
of the Presbyterian Church, Order of A. 0. U. W., Knights of L. F. 0. December 24,
1873, Mr. Berzine married Jennie Van Cunningham ; four children were born to them,
Fannie May, who died May 17, 1877, at the age of nineteen months, eleven days ; Minnie,
Lois, Lucile M. and Mabel Gertrude.

Barton, William, was born in the old log house on the Elisha Barton estate, February
27, 1838. His father, Elisha, came to Wayne county in 1828 from Putnam county,
and settled on lot 22, which is now the residence of William Barton. William was
educated in the common school*, to which he has added through life by reading and
close observation. At the age of twenty-three he married Emma Louise, daughter of
Elias B. Reynolds, and they are the parents of one son, Albert Elias. In 1880 he pur-
chased the homestead property of 240 acres, raising large quantities of mint, grain and
stock. Our subject is one of the leading farmers in his town, and was one of the three
commissioners appointed to adjudicate and settle the payment of the bonds issued for
Sodus Bay & Corning R. R., taking an active interest also in educational and religious
matters.

Weed, Abram, was born in the town of Galen December 2, 1830. His father,
Henry, was a native of Norwich, Conn. The family were of French extraction. Abram
received his education in the common schools, after which he taught several winters and
worked on the farm in the summer. At the age of twenty-seven he married Emily,
daughter of Peter Shear, of Junius, and they have three children : Wallace N., Harry
M., and Mrs. Dora E. Baker. In 1862 he inherited and purchased the homestead of
100 acres, which has been in the family seventy years. In 18S4 he bought the Thomas
Lape property of ninety-five acres, raising fruit, hay, grain and stock. Our subject is
one of the leading farmers in his town, was elected assessor three terms and road com-
missioner three terms.

Hinman, J. W., was born in the town of Phelps, Ontario county, October 23, 1844.
His father, Willis Hinman, is a native of Hartford, Conn., born in 1806, and came to
Ontario county in 1840. Here he followed his trade of carpenter and builder for some
years and then became a farmer, and is still an active business man. J. W. Hinman
was educated in the Newark High School and Academy and afterward in the Eastman
Business College, graduating from the latter in 1865. He came to Clyde in 1867 and
entered the employ of Briggs & Palmer, bankers, as book-keeper. He was afterward
promoted to assistant cashier, and at the organization of the Briggs National Bank in
1880, was appointed cashier, which position he now holds. At the age of thirty Mr.
Hinman married Miss Ida E. Field, daughter of Ambrose Field, of Clyde, and they are
the parents of three sons, Willis A., Arthur F., and Harold C. Mr. Hinman is interested
in the advancement of his town, and is recognized as a man of sterling integrity and
moral worth.



FAMILY SKETCHES. 137

The subject of the following sketch, Cyrus E. Fitch, was born in the town of Butler,
Wayne county, N. Y. December 4, 1844, on the farm where his grandfather, Ebenezer
Fitch, first, settled on his arrival from Saratoga, N. Y. His ancestors were of German
descent, and are traced directly back to that hardy colony of pioneers who came over
from the Fatherland in the "Half Moon" with Hendrick Hudson and settled along the
banks of that beautiful river which bears his name. His grandfather, Ebenezer Fitch,
emigrated from Saratoga county with his wife at an early day and settled in the town
of Butler, where he was elected to the office of justice of the peace for eight consecu-
tive years and took an active part in arranging the boundaries and shaping the destinies
of what is now one of the most prosperous townships in the county of Wayne. His
ancestors on his mother's side were also of German descent and first settled in Jefferson
county, this State. In the year 1852 he, with his father, moved on the farm where he
has since resided. He was graduated from Wolcott Academy in 1860, taught school
until the autumn of 1862, when he enlisted in Company A, 9th N. Y. Heavy Artillery,
and served until the close of the war. He was in the battles of Cold Harbor, Mono-
cacy, Winchester, Cedar Creek, Fisher's Hill and Petersburg. After his discharge from
the army he was married in the year of 1865 to Elenor J. Pearsoll, a lady of the most
estimable character, whose people lived in Wolcott, N. Y. Their union proved a most
happy one and has been blessed with an interesting family of children, three sons and
one daughter, who have been given the best educational advantages that the State af-
forded, the latter, Miss Minnie, being an accomplished musician and a graduate from
the Normal College at Albany, N. Y. Mr, Fitch has been a prominent member of the
First M. E. Church of Wolcott, N. Y., since 1865 and for a long time a member of the
official board of that church. He was superintendent of the Sabbath school for two
years, and since retiring from that position he has conducted the largest Bible Class
ever known in the church at any time. Mr. Fitch has always taken an active interest
in educational work, having served as a member of the board of education of Leaven-
worth Institute for thirteen years, from which position he resigned in the spring of
1894, upon being elected to the office of supervisor of his town. He is a Republican in
politics, his majority as supervisor being 196, the largest majority ever given to any
candidate for supervisor in the town of Butler. He has made an excellent record as
supervisor and is a clean, honest and conscientious official. For the past twelve years
Mr. Fitch has given a great deal of attention to the preparation and handling of evapor-
ated fruit ; and his large system of evaporators are among the best and most extensive
in the county of Wayne. He is a thorough and successful business man, a kind and
indulgent husband and parent, and an enterprising and public spirited citizen.

Hendrick, Austin, who was born in the town of Wolcott in November, 1852, a son
of Levi and Catherine (Tones) Hendrick. Levi was born in Wolcott in 1824, and they
had four children besides our subject : Mary N., wife of I. Van Arsdale of Owasco ; Will-
iam, of Auburn ; Frank, of Rose ; Catharine, wife of I. Silliman, of Fairhaven, Cayuga
county. John Hendrick was the grandfather's name. Subject began life by working
for farmers and finally purchased the farm of ninety acres, where he now lives. For
some years he gave his attention chiefly to horses and sheep. In 1876 he married
Elizabeth, daughter of Daniel C. and Caroline (Leroy) Keeslar. She was born in Huron,
and they had these children, Charlie and Leroy. Mr. Hendrick and wife are members
of the Wolcott Grange P. of A., No. 348, and in politics subject is a Republican. Mrs.
Hendrick's father, Daniel C. Keeslar and his two brothers, were members of the famous
9th N. Y. Heavy Artillery. Daniel first enlisted and served three years, and partici-
pated in nearly all of the battles of this county. He re- enlisted and was killed in the
battle before Petersburg. His brother, Simeon, died from a wound received in the
same battle ; and Alfred died in the hospital from typhoid fever. In honor of these
three brave men the Col. Dutton G. A. R. Post No. 55, at Wolcott was named the
Keeslar Post. Their father, Adam Keeslar, presented this post with an appropriate flag,
and died in 1889.



138 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.

Dickinson, George A., was born in Lysander, N. Y., October 12, 1852, a son of
Joshua O, who was a native of Greene county. He settled in Huron in 1857 and lived
here until his death. In politics he was a Republican, and served nine years as assessor.
His wife was Elmira Powell, and their children were: Steverson S., Powell C, Rachel,
wife of John Brink of Michigan ; Mary, wife of Reuben Brink of Michigan ; Kezia,
wife of Alfred Waldron of Huron ; Susan, wife of Charles Stone of Baldwinsville ;
Geooge A., Adelbert and Edna. Powell was killed in the Rebellion, at the battle of
Port Hudson. Steverson also served in the war. At the age of twenty-two our sub-
ject began life for himself by purchasing the farm of seventy-one acres in 1886 where
he now resides. He married Luna L., daughter of David and Maria Vought, of Huron.
In politics he is a Repnblican. His grandfather was Samuel Powell a native and shoe
merchant of Lysander, who came to Huron in 1857 and spent the remainder of his life
with his daughter, Mrs. Dickinson. Joshua Dickinson was a Mason, a member of the
Huron Grange Lodge, and was a delegate to many of the county and State con-
ventions.

Green, Hugh, was born at Geneva in 1822, came to Galen in 1825, lived with his
parents until nineteen years of age, when he spent three years in the lumber region
of Michigan. He then returned to Seneca Falls, where for nine years he managed a
saw-mill for Smith Bros. In 1854 he purchased a farm in Huron, and has devoted his
energies to that pursuit until his retirement to a pleasant home in the village of Wol-
cott. In 1851 he married Caroline L., daughter of B. S. Carter of Seneca Falls, and
they have three children: Emma, born in 1852, wife of N. C. Vought of Wolcott;
George, born in 1854, and Frank, born in 1861. Mr. Green still owns 147 acres of land
in Huron, in two farms nearly adjacent, and operated by his sons George and Frank.

Haley, Edward, was born in Walworth in July, 1856, the oldest son of Thomas and
Mary Haley, natives of Ireland, who came to America about 1855 and settled on a farm
in Walworth, where he now resides. His mother died in 1869. Edward was reared
on the farm, educated in the common schools and has always been a farmer. He is
extensively engaged in evaporating apples and fruit in the west. In 1875 he purchased
the farm of seventy- one acres, where he now resides, following general farming. He
is a prominent figure in local politics and is now serving his tenth year as assessor. He
is a Granger, and also a member of the Walworth Lodge, F. & A. M.

Peterson, C. 0., was born at Auburn, N. Y., July 29, 1854. At fifteen years of age
he was by an accident deprived of his right arm, in spite of which serious handicap he
acquired an academic education, and was for several years a sucjessful teacher. In
the meantime he studied law with Hon J. B. Decker and in 1882 was admitted to the
bar, beginning practice at once at Red Creek, where he is highly esteemed as a gentle-
man and scholar. When but twenty-one years of age he was Justice of the Peace,
and has been associate justice of the Court of Sessions with Judge Collins. In 1886
he married and has two sons, Ray Ames, born November 3 1888, and Carleton 0., born
July 12, 1894.

Smith, John H., was born July 20, 1831, and is a son of Walter H. Smith, who was
for forty years a merchant at Port Byron. John H. graduated from Clinton College in
1858 and practiced bookkeeping until the opening of the war in 1861, when he enlisted
in Company B, Seventy-fifth N. Y. S. Volunteers, where he held the rank of sergeant.
His army experience was mainly with the Army of the Gulf under Butler. Among the
battles in which he participated were Pensacola, Bayou La Fourche and the siege of
Port Hudson. At Cedar Creek he received severe injuries, confining him to the hos-
pital nearly a year. Since the war he has at various times engaged in gold mining and
mercantile business, in the west and as a traveling salesman. In 1874 he married
Emma M., daughter of George Vau Scoten, of Montrose, Pa.

Bullock Ira, was born at Wolcott village in 1865, and is the son of Stephen E. and
Martha Bullock, who came from Pennsylvania in 1859. Stephen Bullock served four



FAMILY SKETCHES. 139

years in the civil war, with honor and distinction. Ira was educated at Leavenworth
Institute, Wolcott, and served as deputy postmaster in Wolcott for four years, during
his father's incumbency under Garfield. In 1893 he purchased a farm near Red Creek.
April 27, 1892, he married Ethel, daughter of Theodore Oakley of Wolcott, and they
have one son, Stephen, born December 30, 1892.

Perkins, Herbert, wholesale and retail dealer in meats, fish and fruits, at Red Coeek,
was born at Hannibal, December 3, 1851. After the completion of his education at
Falley Seminary, he was for eight years engaged in farming, and in 1879 came to Red
Creek and established a livery business, which he still conducts, adding the market and
grocery in 1889. In 1870 he married Alida Hompe of Hannibal, and they have two
children, Nellie and Edward. Mr. Perkins is at present town clerk having been
elected in 1891.

Graves, H. A., one of the leading merchants of Wolcott. was born at Tully, Onon-
daga county, November 10, 1836. He is the eldest son of George S. Graves, who was
a woolen manufacturer at Tully and came to Wayne county in 1842, engaging in mer-
cantile business at South Butler, where he was also postmaster. He now lives in re-
tirement at Ottawa, 111. Henry A. Graves acquired an academic education at Onon-
daga Valley, and his first business venture was Ottawa, 111. In 1859 he succeeded his
father in the general store business at South Butler, and five years later came to Wol-
cott. Besides a large trade in dry goods, boots and shoes, groceries, etc., at No. 16
East Main street, he makes a specialty of evaporating fruits, in which product Wayne
county is unexcelled. In 1859 he married Sarah E., daughter of Charles J. Viele of
Wolcott, and his only son Charles S., who was born in 1869 and married Nellie Col-
burn, and is now engaged in the business with him at Wolcott.

James Vandenberg was born in Coxsackie, N. Y., July 31, 1827, and died in Clyde
May 14, 1894. He attended the academy in his native place and studied law, and
after admission to the bar removed to Cleveland, N. Y., where he soon became prom-
inent. In 1855 he located in Clyde and was in active and successful practice nearly
forty years. In the fall of 1865 he was elected to the Legislature by the Republicans,
and served a second term by re-election. In 1876 he formed a partnership with Charles
T. Saxton, which continued to his death. In 1879 he was elected district attorney of
Wayne county by a very large majority, and filled the office to the entire satisfaction
of his fellow citizens. He was a prominent member of the Bar Association and a Mason
of high standing. Mr. Vandenberg married in 1849 Rebecca Landgraff, of Cleveland.
Five children were born to them.

Pulver, R. T., born in Saratoga county in 1829, is the youngest and only survivor of
eight children of John and Nellie Pulver, who were residents of Columbia and Saratoga
counties respectively. Mr. Pulver died in 1848, and his wife in 1846. The family is
of Dutch descent. Risley Taylor, our subject, began life as a farm hand and has always
followed farming. He was twelve years in Iowa, then came to Ontario and bought the
farm he now occupies on the Lake road. He carries on general farming and fruit grow-
ing, and is also interested in breeding horses. Mr. Pulver has been three times mar-
ried, first to Elizabeth Sabin of Ontario, by whom he had one daughter and one son,
John S., a farmer in Columbia county, and Mary, who died aged nineteen. Mrs. Pulver
died and he married, second, a sister, Laura Sabin, who died, and he married, third,
Mary E. Rutherford of Marion, Wayne county. His son, John S., married Mary Card,
and they have one daughter, Theresa Florence.

Rogers, William G., (deceased) was born in Lyons July 6, 1841. His father, Bait-
lett, was one of the prominent men of his town. William G. was educated in the
Lyons Union School, to which he added through life by reading and close observation.
At the age of sixteen he entered active business life in Michigan in the lumber busi-



140 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY

ness ; also was engaged in the mercantile business at Sodus with Erastus Rogers. His
health beginn:ng to fail at that period, he in connection with his father, purchased the
Lyman farm property of 200 acres. At the age of twenty-nine he married Sarah B.,
daughter of Benjamin J. Bradley of Lyons, and they are the parents of four children :
Louise B., George W., Wilmina and Mary Eleanor. Our subject took an active inter-
est in politics, was president of the village, and was connected with both school and
church. He died at the age of forty-three, leaving a wife and children to carry out his
many interests to completion.

Towlerton, Charles H., was born in Butler November 4, 1865. His father, James
Towlerton, came to Wayne county in 1846, from Leeds, England, and settled in the
town of Butler. Charles H. was educated in the common schools, graduated from
Leavenworth Institute in 1886 and from the University of the City of New York
Medical College in 1889. He was then appointed one of the medical staff of Bellevue
Hospital for the term of two years; at the expiration of his hospital service he received
the appointment of surgeon on the Netherland American Steamship Line. Resigning
that position in 1892 he located in Lyons and established a general practice. At the
age of twenty-six he married Nellie E., daughter of Fletcher S. Johnson of Wolcott.
Our subject is one of the best read members of his profession, a member of the Wayne
county Medical Society, also an active member of the Society of the Alumni of Bellevue
Hospital, New York,

Howk, John O, was born in Washington county, N. Y., March 7, 1836, a son of
Horace and Fanny (Crouch) Howk of Washington county. The father of Horace was
Andrew Howk, whose parents came from Holland and settled in Washington county
in an early day, the name having been originally Van Huyck. The mother of our subject
died in Fort Ann in 1838 and his father married second, Henrietta Spencer, daughter of
Captain Phineas Spencer, of Revolutinary fame, and they hac 1 three sons. He was a
Republican in politics. John O, our subject, came to Wayne county at the age of nine
years and was reared by his uncle and aunt Loron and Electa Whitney of this county,
received his education in district school and Webster Academy. He followed farming
for thirty years upon the farm of 70 acres left him by his uncle in the west part of the
town of Ontario and which he still owns. And in 1888 came to the village of Ontario
and engaged in the coal and lumber trade where he still resides. He is a member of
the Presbyterian Church, has been an elder and superintendent of the Sunday school
twenty-six years in succession and served one year as president of the Wayne County
Sunday School Association. He is a Republican and has served as supervisor two
years. He is a member of the Royal Templars of Temperance and of the South Shore
Grange No. 552, of which he has been a master for seven years. In 1858 Mr. Howk
married Catherine, daughter of Dr. L. Whitcomb of Macedon Center, N. Y., who
practiced medicine in Wayne county about forty years and who was a member of the
Legislature in 1853. His wife was Deborah (Wells) Whitcomb, of Washington county,
N. Y. Mr. and Mrs. Howk have five sons, of whom Loron W. was educated in
Webster Academy and Rochester University, graduating in 1888 and from the medical
department of the University of Michigan in 1891, and who is now a practicing phy-
sician in Rochester, N. Y. He married Ella Hildreth, of California. Edson J. was
educated in Webster Academy and the Genesee Normal School. His wife is Nina
Gardner and they have one son, Luther J. Judson W. resides at home, having been
educated in the Genesee Normal School. Oscar L. is also being educated at the latter
school. Horace J. resides at home and is attending the village school. They have
also adopted a brother's child, H. May who is now eight years of age,

Fisher, Jacob, was born in the Grand Duchy of Baden, October 29, 1831, first settled
in Rochester, in 1872 came to Lyons and rented the Lyons Pottery plant for five years,
and in 1878 purchased the business and real estate of the Harrington estate. The Lyons



FAMILY SKETCHES. 141

Pottery is a well-known manufactory throughout the United States, the merchandise
having a well deserved reputation for excellence and durability. The plant was first
established in 1825 by N. Clark & Co., and was rebuilt in 1889 by Mr. Fisher who has
continued to add to the plant since he bought the property in 1878, having a building
of two stories and basement of 175x50 feet including two kilns of 10,000 gallons capa-
city each, and having an average yearly output of 050,000 gallons of all kinds of stone-
ware. At the age of twenty-six he married Theresa Burger, and they have seven chil-
dren, four of whom are now living: Edmund, William Frederick, Amelia and Louisa.
Our subject is one of the most active business men in his town, identified in advancing
its best interests, and is recognized as a man of sterling integrity and high character.

Selby, Stephen Fish, was born August 16, 1815, in Western Pennsylvania, a son of
Jared C., and Ct:arity (Fish) Selby. The first two years of his life were spent at Pult-
neyville, where his parents resided. The next three or four years was spent at the
" Corners " and vicinity, then his parents removed to Palmyra. A year later he went
to live with Dr. Luther Cowan, remaining two years until the latter's death, when for
the next two years he resided with Capt. Asa Silly. He was four years in the store of
Luther Tucker in Palmyra, then learned the printer's trade out of school hours, then
went to Walworth with Luther Tucker in his store there, where he remained four years,