George Washington Cowles.

Landmarks of Wayne County, New York online

. (page 76 of 107)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

educated in Macedon, and was a student of Lima College, under the instruction of
Miss Willard. She was a delegate to the World's Fair from Indiana Literary Club.
Mr. Peacock died in California in 1854, and her marriage with Mr. Tiffany occurred
in 1871. They have adopted George P. Bancroft as their son, he being a nephew of
Mr. Tiffany.

Smouton, C. H, was born in Palmyra January 13, 1840. He is the oldest of a
family of three children of John and Louisa (Walton) Smouton, natives of England,
came to Palmyra in 1836, and to Williamson in 1846 and settled on the farm subject
now owns, where he died August 3, 1879, and his wife in 1846. Our subject was
reared on a farm, owns sixty-five acres of land, and follows general farming. He is a
Democrat in politics. He married, in 1867, Artimitia Nye, a nati e of Sodus, a daugh-
ter of Lewis and Pattie Nye, of Sodus, coming there in an early day. Mr. Smouton
and wife have had two children : Fred B., who married Nora A. Denney, daughter of
Loren Denney, of Williamson, and had one child, Ruth B.; and Martha L., wife of
Thomas Burden, of Ontario.

Plumb, Charles G., M. D., was born December 17, 1854, at Sterling, Cayuga county,
and is the son of S. Hiram, born February 19, 1819, and Nancy (Pease) Plumb, born
July 16, 1822. S. Hiram Plumb received an academic education at Elbridge, N.Y., sup-
plemented by a medical course at the University of New York, and after graduating
from the latter institution with the degree of M . D. began practice at Red Creek. In
February, 1862, he received the appointment of assistant surgeon 24th N.Y. Volunteers,
later promoted to 82d N.Y.S. Volunteers as surgeon, and in 1864 made chief of oper-
ating staff, second division, second corps, with rank of colonel. At the close of the war
he resumed his practice at Red Creek, where he died August 12, 1880. Charles G.
Plumb is one of a family of ten children, of whom one brother, Alfred W., is now
principal of Union School No. 6, Savannah. Charles acquired his earlier education at
Red Creek Academy, then taught three years in common schools, two years in Lyons
Union School, and "early in 1881 graduated from the medical department of the Uni-
versity of Buffalo, with the degree of M.D., and began practice at Owasco. May 11,
1881, he married Jessie, daughter of Dr. Rice, of, Hannibal, and they had three
children: George R., born May 12, 1882, who died in infancy; Robert H., born
August 12, 1885; and a daughter born in February, 1891, who died in extreme infancy.
As the result of an injury while away from home, confining Mrs. Plumb to her room
for a year, Dr. Plumb abandoned his practice and cared for her. They then moved to
Red Creek, and Mr. Plumb was for two years principal of the public school at that
place. In 1887 he became principal of Savannah Union School. During his principal-
ship an academic course was organized, and the resident attendance at the school in-
creased thirty-eight per cent, in two years. The increased attendance necessitated a
large force of teachers, and led to the "incorporation of the academic department by the
Board of Regents, and finally to the erection of a large and beautiful school building.
Mr. Plumb it president of the District Association of Y. P. S. C. E. of Eastern Wayne.
In March Mr. Plumb resigned the principalship of Savannah school to take a course in
the Post Graduate Medical College of New York, and has since resumed the practice of
medicine at Red Creek, N.Y.



148 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.

Pratt, Jonathan S., born in Williamson, Wayne county, January 21, 1838, is the son
of Jonathan and Clarissa (Jennings) Pratt, both of New England stock, and pioneers of
Williamson. Mr. Pratt came to Williamson with his parents when it was a
a wilderness, and settled on a farm. His parents died soon after, leaving him
at the age of eighteen with the farm of 300 acres to pay for. This he did
and bought about 400 acres more, which he left to the family. He was a lumberman
and stock dealer and was successful. In politics he was a Whig, and they were mem-
bers of the M. E. church. He died in 1850, and his wife in 1886. Subject was reared
on the farm and worked with his father until 1861, when he enlisted in the 8th N. Y.
Cavalry, was taken prisoner at Harper's Ferry and held about three months. He mar-
ried Harriet S. Richmond, by whom he has two sons and two daughters: Clara M.,
Frank J., Charles H., and Mabel Gr. After the war he engaged in farming on a portion
of the old Pratt homestead, .which he sold a few years later, and bought the place
known as the Thomas farm, where he now lives. His farm comprises fifty acres,
mostly devoted to fruit. In politics he is a Republican, and he and family are Baptists.

Evans, David H., was born in Tyre, Seneca county, December 7, 1837. His father,
John G. Evans, emigrated from I ngland in 1802, when nine years of age. He was a
member of the M. E. Church for fifty years, postmaster for twenty-five years and justice
of the peace for four years. He died July 15, 1877, aged eighty-four years. David H.
Evans was educated at Fort Plain Seminary, beginning his public career as a justice
of the peace when twenty-six years of age, and four years later was made supervisor,
serving seven years. February 24, 1845, he married Catherine Wurts of Savannah, by
whom he had five children : Clara B., Mary W., Edwin Gr., Bertha B. and Maud, who
died in 1884 at six years of age. Catherine Evans died in 1885, and he married second,
in 1893, Catherine L. Ransom of Montezuma. Mr. Evans represented Seneca county in
the assembly in 1879 and 1880, where he served as chairman of committee on in-
ternal affairs. He was the first Republican elected in Seneca county for thirty years,
He was elected to the Senate in 1882 from the 26th district, comprising the counties of
Seneca, Cayuga, Tompkins and Tioga by a plurality of 4,270. Since 1880 he has been
extensively engaged in farming and dealing in real estate; in 1894 holding 1,200 acres
adjacent to his homestead.

Carncross, Andrew, was born in Savannah in 1834, and has spent his entire life
here. His parents was Jacob and Catherine (Cline) Carncross, who came originally
from the East, and from Onondaga county in 1822. Jacob was born May 1, 1809, and
died in 1884, and the latter, born August 22, 1803, and died in 1886. Andrew is situ-
ated on a farm about two miles northeast of Savannah, and adjacent to his brother
William. He is unmarried and a man of some eccentricities of character, but much
respected by those who know him. He is a sturdy Republican in politics.

Milne, Alexander P., is a native of Scotland, was born at Turriff. Aberdeenshire, in
1854. He was educated at the Turriff High School and Fordyce Academy in Banff-
shire, served one year in the law office of John Christie, Solicitor Banff, and also served
an apprenticeship of five years in the Commercial Bank of Scotland at Turriff and was
sent from there to Canada as an employee of the Bank of British North America where
he was located at London, Hamilton, and Toronto branches. After a residence of six
years in the Dominion he migrated to the United States where he swore fealty to Uncle
Sam and acquired citizenship. He has since held various positions of trust and respon-
sibility. For the past six years he has been cashier and head bookkeeper for the Wayne
Building, Loan, and Accumulating Fund Association and for three years treasurer of the
village of Palmyra, he also holds an appointment as notary public and is prominently
identified with various local organizations of a social and fraternal character. In the
spring of 1894 Mr. Milne received the nomination for town clerk and was elected by a
large majority. He married in 1877, Hattie, daughter of Alexander Rannie, of Pal-
myra, and has two children, a son and a daughter.



FAMILY SKETCHES. 149

Van Wickle, Simon, was born in Lyons, Wayne county, September 2, 1817, and died
at his home in Savannah March 8, 1894, of exhaustion following an attack of la
grippe. His father was Evart Van Wickle and his mother Catharine (Dorchester) Van
Wickle. They were natives of the State of New Jersey. In 1845 Mr. Van Wickle
married Maria Lloyd, daughter of Peter and Sarah (Erickson) Lloyd. Five children
were born to them : Sarah C, now Mrs. E. J. Carris; Charles D., Simon H., Amelia
A., and Mary E.. now Mrs. W. H. Sweeting. In 1869_Charles died of inflammation of
the brain, and in 1877 Simon died of inflammation of the spinal cord. The loss of these
promising sons saddened the lives of Mr. and Mrs. Van Wickle for many years. In
1891 Mrs. Van Wickle died suddenly of apoplexy. Her death coming so unexpectedly
was a blow of almost crushing force to the surviving members of the family. Mr. Van
Wickle's chosen occupation was that of farming, in which he was very successful. In
closing this brief biography of Simon Van Wickle, it may truthfully be said that he
was a conscientious, upright, honorable man, and died respected and esteemed by all
who knew him.

Johnson, Russell, was born in De Kalb, St. Lawrence county, October 27, 1828. He
is the second child of a family of four children of Russell and Phebe (Eddy) Johnson,
natives of Coleraine, Franklin county, Mass., and early settlers (1827) of De Kalb, St.
Lawrence connty, N. Y., where his mother died when our subject was ten years of age.
The father then married Abigail Van Duzzer, by whom he had four children. He
finally came to Ontario where he died in 1876. Russell was educated in the Gouver-
neur Academy and at Burlington, Iowa. Taught school, then went west to Illinois
where he taught school and clerked for several years ; was assistant postmaster at
Prairie City, Illinois, at the outbreak of the war when he left his position and enlisted
at Chicago in Company A, 89th HI. Inf., August 27, 1852, serving untd June 10. 1865.
After six months service he was appointed commissary of his regiment, and held the
position till the close of the war, and was at Perryville, Stone River, Liberty Gap,
Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain, Mission Ridge, then marched to the relief of Burnside
besieged at Knoxville, Tenn. On the Atlanta campaign participated in the victories of
Rocky Face, Resaca, Pickett's Mills, Kenesaw Mountain, Peach Tree Creek and the flank
movement at Atlanta, and was at Jonesboro and Lone Joy Station, Spring Hill, Frank-
lin and Nashville. From the time of leaving Louisville, until the return there the regi-
ment traveled 2,253 miles on foot and 1,127 by railroad. Out of 1,201 borne on its
rolls 820 were killed in action, died from wounds or discharged on account of disability
contracted in the service. At the close of the war Mr. Johnson came to Ontario where
he has since lived. He engaged in the mercantile business and for some years kept a
general stock, but now makes a specialty of clothing, boots and shoes. He is a Repub-
lican and attended the convention, which resulted in the nomination of Abraham Lin-
coln, the first Republican President, has served as postmaster here ten years, justice of
the peace twelve years, and superintendent three years. He is a member of the Bap-
tist Church of Ontario and of the - G. A. R.

Philip, Thaideus, was born in Herkimer county January 15, 1845, and came with his
parents, Jeremiah G. and Almeria (Lockwood) Philip, to Palmyra, locating on the farm
now owned and occupied by him. He was educated in the Palmyra Class A. School,
and the Hudson River Institute, and served in the late war for ten months, enlisting in
August, 1864, in the 111th Regiment, Company A, as corporal. In 1869 he married
Ella A, Burr, a native of Marion, and they have had three children : Jerrie G., born
May 18, 1871, died aged twenty years; Jennie A., born in 1873; and Besssie L., born
in 1884. The father of our subject was a native of Columbia county, who died in
1890, and the mother in 1887. Henry, a brother of Thaddeus, is a resident of Cali-
fornia. The homestead farm consists of 148 acres.

Stanford, Harvey E., was born in Oneida county, this State, in October, 1843. He
is a son of Richard and Sally (Thorne) Stanford, came with his parents to this town in



150 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.

1858, was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools. Early in life he learned
the trade of a carpenter and has for many years followed the profession of contractor
and builder, also owns a small farm. He is a Republican in politics, has held several
minor town offices and is now serving his first term as justice of the peace. Mr. Stan-
ford enlisted in Co. B, 8th N. Y. Cavalry in September, 1864 and served until the close
of the war. He married in 1872 Ella A. Andrew, a native of this town, and daughter
of Alexander and Delia (Willard) Andrew. Mr. Stanford and wife have one daughter,
Carrie L., wife of Edgar Brundage, a native of this town.

Nash, C. J., dealer in pianos, organs, carriages, wagons, and sewing machines, also a
full line of musical instruments, clocks, jewelry, and leading styles of bicycles. Mr.
Nash was born in Williamson April 24, 1855, and is the oldest child of John and Eliza-
beth Craggs Nash. Mr. Nash died in 1869, aged forty-four. Our subject was educated
at Walworth and Sodus Academies, and worked as a clerk at Sodus and at Buffalo for
about five years, and in 1876 he came to Ontario Centre and engaged in the hardware
business. He now has a building of two stories 45x60 and a warehouse 46x36 feet.
He was appointed postmaster at the Center in April, 1881, and held office until 1885,
and was again appointed in April, 1889, and held office until August 15 1894. He has
been clerk of the town since 1879, with the exception of from March to August, 1892.
In March, 1877, he married Sarah L. Fish, of Williamson, a daughter of Harry and
Fannie Fish, and they have five children: H. Raymond; A. Laverne: Edson J.; C.
Stewart and Isabelle O, twins.

Smith, Elias, was born in Niagara county April 1, 1821, the third of twelve children
of Samuel and Hannah (Brown) Smith, he a native of Maine and she of New Jersey.
Samuel Smith came to Farmington, Ontario county, when twenty years of age, and
after he married moved to Niagara county, where he resided until 1827, when he came
to Ontario and died in 1869, and his wife in 1872. He was in the War of 1812. Sub-
ject was educated in the common schools, and has always been a farmer. He owns
sixty-four and one-half acres of land, and follows general farming. Mr. Smith was a
Whig, but has been a Republican since the organization of the party. He married in
September, 1846, Polly Thayer, daughter of Aldrich and Hulda (Alcott) Thayer. Mr.
Smith and wife have had two children : Winfield S., who married Susan, daughter of
John and Hannah Lane, of Ontario; and Sarah T., wife of Sherman Colby, who has
three children : Howard E., Dana, and Blanche T. Mr. Smith and wife are members
of the M. E. church, and he has been teacher in the Bible class.

Wooster, Oscar A., was born in Ontario, September 14, 1826, the oldest of seven
children of Frederick H. and Emaline E. Hathaway, the former born October 24, 1803,
in Schenectady, and the latter June 18, 1806. Mr. Wooster and wife spent their lives
in Wayne county, where he died in 1891, and his wife in 1884. In 1807 his parents
came from Connecticut to the town of Ontario, and settled on the Ridge road, fourteen
miles east of what is now Rochester. Frederick H. was one of nine children, of whom
only one, Oliver B., is living, in Allegan county, Mich., aged seventy-three. Oscar A.
was educated in the common and Clyde select schools, has been a blacksmith through
life, and resides in Ontario. He married Helen J. Hayden, a native of Mendon, Monroe
county, by whom he has two children : Isabella, wife of Richard Dillingham ; and
Frances, wife of George Bills, and they have three children : Elsie, Georgia and Jay.
Mr. Wooster is a Republican, has been constable two years, justice of the peace one
year, justice in Walworth twelve years, and notary public ten years. He is a member
of Walworth Lodge, F. &; A. M. Mr. Wooster's father was Isaac Hayden, who spent
most of his life in Monroe county. He died in Ontario June 26, 1847. His wife was
Margaret Ogden, who now resides with her daughter at the age of ninety-three. She
was born in Ontario county, town of Victor, and her parents were Jonathan and
Catherine (Sines) Ogden, early settlers of Victor.



FAMILY SKETCHES. I.-.1

Smith, Frank W,, was born on the farm he owns February 25. 1850, the oldest of four
children of Sanford and Lodosca (Place) Smith, he a native of Walworth, born in 1816
on the farm of our subject, and she a native of Hindsburg, Vt., born in 1829. The grand-
father was Oliver Smith, a Dative of West Stockbridge, Mass., who came on the farm
our subject owns in 1805, where he died in 1826, aged forty-five. His wife was Thank-
ful Ford, born in West Stockbridge, Mass., who died in 1858 aged eighty-three. The
grandfather on the mother's side was Roswell P. Place, born in 1803 (birthplace not
known). He enlisted in the army in 1846, at Lyons, to take part in the Mexican war.
Served until nearly the end of the war when was taken sick with fever and died in
Mexico. His wife was Aurellia Branch, born in 1804 at Monkton, Vt., was the mother
of seven children, all girls, of which the oldest was the mother of subject. She died in
Vermont in 1878. Subject was reared on a farm, educated in Palmyra Union Schools,
a resident of Chicago for several years, and followed the dramatic profession for seven
years, traveling through Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio and Indiana, and portions of
Canada and Pennsylvania. He returned to his farm life in 1879 where he has since
resided, except one year selling nursery stock for Elwanger & Barry of Rochester. He
owns 100 acres, follows general farming and makes a specialty of raising small fruit.
He was married twice, first to Emma C. Payne, a native of Blissfield, Lenawee county,
Mich., who died August 20, 1876; and subject married, second, in 1886 Annie E.,
daughter William Barnsdale of Walworth. Our subject has one brother living, Albert
R., a railroad man of Buffalo.

Pratt, J. D., was born in Ontario November 21, 1853, the youngest of three children,
Amelia, Eugene, and Delmer. Amelia was a resident of this town until 1889, when
she visited Pomona, Cal., and while there married a former New York man, W. D.
Ellis, and now resides in that State ; Eugene was drowned in the mill pond on the farm
of his grandfather, Jonathan Pratt, at the age of seven ; J. Delmer was reared on the
farm, educated in the common school and Collegiate Institute in Marion, afterward
taking a course at the Rochester Business University. He still owns fifty-three acres
of the old homestead situated on the town line road between Williamson and Ontario,
near the lake. He also owns eighty-three acres, known as the Turner farm, situated
south of Ontario village, where he now follows general farming and grape culture,
having seven acres of Niagaras. December 18, 1879, he married Florence, eldest
daughter of John S. and Margaret Britton, her parents being natives of England and
Ireland respectively, both having come to Wayne county when children. Mr. and Mrs.
Pratt have two children: Esca A. and Leah M. The parents of J. D. Pratt were Joel
and Cornelia (Potter) Pratt, the former a native of Williamson, and the latter of Sara-
toga. Joel was a son of Jonathan and Clarissa (Jennings) Pratt, the former a native
of Whately, Mass., and the latter of Burlington, N. Y., who came to Wayne county in
1811 and settled on the lake road near the town line between Williamson and Ontario.
Joel died January 5, 1884, and his wife in March, 1854. His second wife was Mrs.
Rhoda Hartwell. In October, 1883, he married Mrs. Blythe.

Frost, Samuel, was born in Oswego county in 1831. He lived twelve years in Ohio,
and at the age of fifteen returned to Oswego county, where he remained till 1859,
since which time he resided in Palmyra. In 1864 he began running an engine on the
New York Central, and is now one of the oldest men in the service of the road. In
1857 he married Eveline Starks. who died in 1881, and they had children as follows:
Dillon O, born in 1859, now engineer on the New York Central ; Frank, born in 1869,
who died in 1887 at the age of eighteen ; and Edna, born in 1879.

Wooster, Denison S., was born in Ontario June 29, 1829, the second of seven chil-
dren of Frederick H. and Emeline Hathaway. Subject was reared on a farm, educated
in the common school, and learned the blacksmiths' trade, which he followed many
years, but his principal occupation is farming. In 1851 he came to Walworth, located
on the farm where he now resides, and has made many improvements. He has been



152 • LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY

commissioner of highways three terms, assessor eleven years, and collector and constable
one year. He was a member of the Sons of Temperance. He sent a substitute to the
late war. He married, in 1854, Orrinda C, daughter of Israel Gould, and they had
three children : Irvin D., who died in infancy ; Truman G., who resides in Allegany
county, and is engaged in the furniture and undertaking business, is also business man-
ager of the furniture manufacturing company of that place ; and William D., who re-
sides in the same place, is engaged in the same business with his brother, and is also in-
terested in the manufacturing business.

Gould, Theron 0., was born February 17, 1837, the oldest of six children born to
Amos and Margaret Gould. Amos was born October 22, 1814, and was a son of Daniel
Gould mentioned elsewhere in this work. Margaret (McCreery) Gould was born in
Macedon November 16, 1814, and as a matter of history rode on the first canal boat
that passed through Macedon. Our subject was reared on a farm and educated in the
common schools and Macedon Academy. He owns a farm at Lincoln in Walworth and
has a pleasant home. In politics he is independent, having been a Greenbacker he is a
firm believer in doing away with National Banks and Congress to issue the currency
and regulate its value. On February 17, 1861, he married Mary Maguire who was born
September 26, 1840. She was the daughter of Francis and Catharine Maguire and
came from England with a brother when but thirteen years of age. Mr. and Mrs.
Gould have had two children : Charlie, who was born July 30, 1866, who was educated
in the common schools and Walworth Academy and resides at home, and Frank, born
December 4, 1871. He married Nellie Bailey of Lowell, Michigan, and has two chil-
dren, Mary and Viola. He is a dealer in green and evaporated fruit in Mulliken,
Michigan.

Moore F. W., was born in Red Hook, Dutchess county, July 25, 1817, son of Philip
H., and Elizabeth Fellows, he a native of Red Hook and she of Rhinebeck, Dutchess
county. They came to Walworth in 1837, and settled on the farm now owned by our
subject, where Mr. Moore died in June, 1862, and his wife in June, 1849. The grand-
father was Philip Moore, whose father was a native of Germany, and an early settler
of Dutchess county, where he died. Subject's father was drafted in the War of 1812.
Subject has always been a farmer, owns a portion of the original farm his father set-
tled, at present owns ninety-three acres, follows general farming, and is one of the
largest stock dealers in Walworth. He has for over twenty years been engaged in
selling agricultural implements, and at present represents the McCormick Company.
He has been commissioner of highways, overseer of poor, and supervisor. He married
in 1851 Hannah Smalley a native of Honeoye Falls, Monroe county, and daughter of
Jonas and Eleanor Smalley, who were natives of New Jersey, settled in Geneva and
finally in Monroe county, where they died. Mr. Moore and wife had three children:
J. Ella, Fred C, and Genoa, who died aged five.

Clemans, Putney, was born in Walworth, November 2, 1835, the youngest of thir-
teen children of Asaph and Orpha (Ives) Clemans, natives of Massachusetts. He went
to Cazenovia at an early day and in 1812 came to Walworth and settled on the farm
now owned by our subject, where he died January 22, 1862 and his wife January 6,
1880. He was in the War of 1812. He was a practicing physician many years in
connection with farming. He and his wife were members of the M. E. Church. The
grandfather of our subject was Moses Clemans, who lived and died in Massachusetts.
Our subject was reared on the farm he owns and educated in West Walworth Acad-
emy. He has always been a farmer and owns sixty-eight acres, also followed thresh-
ing for some time. He married April 26, 1857, Emily Knights, who died in May, 1858.

Gibbs, Newton 0., born in Williamson September 25, 1845, is the oldest of five sons