of Amasa and Mary Gibbs, he a native of Williamson and she of the same town. The
grandfather of subject was Amasa Gibbs, one of the first settlers of Williamson, who
FAMILY SKETCHES. L53
kept hotel many years. The father of Mrs. Gibbs was Jackson Mason, one of the early-
settlers. The father of subject was a farmer, and died in 1857 and his wife in 1866.
Our subject was educated in the common schools, has followed coopering and farming,
and owns ninety-five acres of land. He married in 1871 Mary (Thomas) Stevens,
widow of James Stevens, born in Wayne county, by whom he had one child, Jessie,
wife of Frank Ooncher, of Marion, N. Y.
Mclntyre, Calvin, jr., was born at the homstead of his father, in the town of Elbridge,
Onondaga county, N. Y., August 16, 1836. His father was a native of Essex county,
and removed with his parents to the town of Elbridge in the year of 1816. The family
were of English, Welsh and Scotch extraction, tracing their descent back to Clan
Mclntyre, of Gleno, Scotland, who occupied Gleno upwards of one thousand years.
They settled at an early date in Vermont and afterwards located near Mt. Mclntyre,
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
Essex county, N. Y. "His great-grandmother, Jemima Brockett, was a direct descend-
ant of Sir John Brockett, baronet of Brockett's Hall and Manor, County of Herts,
England; also a descendant of William Tuttle, who came to this country in the Planter
and settled in New Haven in 1635. His grandfather, Joseph Mclntyre, served in the
French and Indian war and the American Bevolution, and two of his uncles in the war
of 1812. Calvin was brought up on his father's farm near Jordan, N. Y., receiving his
education at the Jordan Academy. In 1854 he entered the employ of Horace P. Mol-
ton, of Jordan, N. Y., in the mercantile business and remained until 1856, when he en-
gaged in the agricultural business with his father until the latter's death in 1870. In
1878 he came to Clyde and established the firm of Warner & Mclntyre, grain dealers
and maltsters, one of the largest firms in Central New York, and who are now conduct-
ing a very successful business. He was elected trustee of the village of Clyde in 1882,
and has frequently been a delegate to various county and State conventions. In 1890
he was a delegate to the Democratic State Convention, of Saratoga, N. Y., was elected
one of the vice-presidents of the convention, and supported the nomination of Gov.
Flower. At the age of twenty-four he married Frances E., daughter of Nathan Shaw,
esq., of Elbridge, and Laura A. Evans, whose family were direct descendants of one of
the noble families of England, and of Francis Dudley of Concord, Mass., who was a
soldier in King Philip's Indian war in 1675. The first of the family to come to this coun-
try was Thomas Dudley, who settled in Roxbury in 1630 and was colonial governor of
Massachusetts in 1640. Mr. and Mrs. Mclntyre have one son, Edward M., and two daugh-
ters, Mrs. Emma L. Wright, and Stella Elizabeth. Mr. Mclntyre takes an active interest
in all educational affairs, and is a liberal supporter of religious institutions. In religion he
is a Presbyterian, his family being members of that order, and contributing generously
to the support of church interests. Hon. Edward M. was born in the town of Elbridge,
Onondaga county, N. Y., April 16, 1861. He was educated at the Jordan Academy,
and removed with his parents to Clyde in 1878, entering his father's office as book-
keeper and general assistant. In 1885 he engaged in the malting business with his
father and established the firm of Calvin Mclntyre & Son, maltsters and grain dealers,
at Phelps, N. Y., with a branch located at Seneca Falls, N. Y., in 1887. He is secre-
tary and treasurer of the Clyde Electric Company, and was one of its incorporators.
At the age of twenty-one, he was the Democratic candidate for sheriff of Wayne
county, and was defeated by a small plurality, largely reducing the majority formerly
given to the Republican candidates. He has been repeatedly a delegate to various
county and State conventions, and served on the committee of credentials at the
Democratic State Convention at Saratoga in 1887, He was also one of a committee on
permanent organization at Buffalo in 1888, and was chairman of the Wayne County
Democratic Committee in 1889. Edward M. was one of the presidential electors elected
in 1892, and cast his ballot for Grover Cleveland for president in the Electoral College
at Albany, N. Y., January 9, 1893. He is one of the leading business men of Wayne
county, and is a man of fine education and recognized ability,
154 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY
Sweeting, Dr. Mortimer Franklin, was born in the town of Marcellus, Onondaga
county, N. Y., August 30, 1817. When a mere child his parents moved to the present
town of Camillus, in same county, where ever after his parents lived on same farm and
died at the extreme oid age of ninety-three and ninety-four. Mason Sweeting, his
father, was born in Mansfield, Bristol county, Mass., November 24, 1768, and Lydia
Pratt, his mother, was born in the same town September 5, 1776. They were united
in marriage April, 1793. His father was the son of Dr. Lewis Sweeting, who was a
surgeon in the Revolution, and after the war closed, was a representative in the General
Assembly of Massachusetts from his county. Two Sweeting brothers emigrated from
England in 1643 to escape Cromwell's persecution, one of these brothers was Dr. Lewis
Sweeting's father. Dr. M. F. Sweeting, the subject of this sketch, was educated in the
common schools, and in Cazenovia Seminary, and Clinton Liberal Institute, then located
at Clinton, N. Y. After leaving school he had a position for a time as assistant engi-
neer under Hugh Lee, chief engineer on the Syracuse & Auburn R. R., and during the
summer of 1845 he and Theodore Andrews (brother of Judge Andrews), assisted
Wheeler Truesdell in laying out some of the streets of the city of Syracuse ; also spent
one summer as assistant engineer under George Geddes in locating the Skaneateles R. R.
The stringency of the money matters at this time caused many of the public works to
suspend labor, leaving engineers out of business ; so he concluded to try another pro-
fession, and entered his name as) a law student in the office of Spooner & Leroy, at
Camillus, N. Y. After spending about a year in this office, he entered the office of
James R. Lawrence in the city of Syracuse ; he remained in this office until he received
an offer from D. Darwin Hughes, his brother-in-law of Marshall, Mich., to come into
his office as a partner. Starting for Michigan, on the way, he was taken with a hem-
orrhage from the lungs ; this misfortune changed the course of his life-work. His
physician told him he could never stand office business, but out-door business, as riding
over the country, would be the best work for him, and recommended medicine as his
best profession. He unhesitatingly entered his name as a student of medicine and in
the spring of 1850 graduated at the Geneva, N. Y., Medical College, having previously
spent two courses at the Pittsfield, Mass., Medical College. During his studentage of
medicine, he was principal of the South Butler Union School, one long term, and of the
Hannibal Union School three terms. In August, 1850, he settled at Victory, N. Y., to
practice his profession and remained at this place two years, then came to South Butler,
and purchased the home and practice of Clarendon Campbell, one of his former precept-
ors, and has continuously practiced his profession in this same place to the present time.
In 1862, having investigated the homeopathic system of cure, he took a second gradua-
tion from the New York Homeopathic College and since that time has practiced that
system of cure. He was one of the founders of the Wayne County Homeopathic
Medical Society, and for several years has been its president. He is also a member of
the State Homeopathic Medical Society, and of the Central New York Homeopathic
Medical Society. During the Rebellion he rendered efficient service in aiding to secure
volunteers, and in caring for the families of those gone to the war, and in treating the
wounded who were sent home, and in securing pensions for widows who had lost their
husbands, or sons in the war; also be gave his only son, who was old enough to bear
arms to his country's cause. The boy returned after the close of the war, although he
had once been shot in his lung, which shot he now carries. This boy is Volney H.
Sweeting, of Lyons. The doctor has been twice married. His first wife was Sally T.
Hughes, daughter of Capt. Henry Hughes, of Camillus, N. Y. She gave him one son,
Volney H. She died of consumption at Camillus, August 28, 1844. His second wife
is Colan Clapp, daughter of Israel J. Clapp, of Butler, N. Y., whom he married
November 4, 1849, and who is now living, a blessing to her husband and two
sons, Dr. W. H. Sweeting, of Savannah, N. Y., and Sherman C. Sweeting, of Wyom-
ing, N. Y., both of whom are married and settled in business; and two daughters,
Mary A., and Grace G., neither of whom are married, but the memory of Charlie must
not be omitted. After he entered the classical course in Cornell University, in 1879 he
FAMILY SKETCHES. 155
received the appointment of naval cadet at Annapolis, Md., and in 1883 graduated with
honor, was made ensign in 1885 and died January 25, 1890 from the effects of a sun-
stroke received while stationed at Honolulu. Charles Edward Sweeting will long be
remembered as a boy and a man, of uncommon gifts, by all who knew him. The doc-
tor prides himself that he gave all his children, both boys and girls a college education,
excepting Volney H., who took his college course on the battlefields of the Eebellion,
leaving school to answer his country's call. In religion the doctor is a radical Disciple,
and in politics an enthusiastic Republican. The only public offices he ever held was
school commissioner about five years, and assistant revenue assessor about two years.
Pearsall, G-. A., was born in Williamson, N. Y., August 11, 1854, and is the son of
J. D. and Hannah Brown Pearsall, he a native of Saratoga, and she a native of Had-
denfield, N. J. J. D. was the son of George Pearsall, of Saratoga connty, and came to
"Williamson about 1839, and here died in a few years. J. D. Pearsall was a farmer and
also a produce dealer from 1876 to 1888. His death occurred February 2, 1890, and
his wife still resides on the old homestead. Our subject was educated in Sodus and
Marion academies, and taught for four years, and in 1880 engaged in the produce busi-
ness. In 1880 he married Martha, daughter of Samuel Yaughn of Dickson, Pa., and
they have two children, Howard and Samuel.
Holling, Andrew, was born in Williamson August 11, 1813, a son of William and
Sarah (Clark) Holling. He came to America in 1800, first settling in Geneva, but soon
came to Williamson and settled. Of the family all are now deceased but one son and
two daughters. The mother of Andrew died, 1823 (May 2), and his father married,
second, Mrs. Stearns, wdo died in 1873. William Holling died in 1866, aged eighty-
eight years. Andrew Holling commenced his business career as a sailor and followed
that occupation twenty years, and is known as Captain Holling, He then engaged in
the lumber and planing business at Pultneyville. Has also been engaged in farming
and fruit growing. About 1882 he retired from active business, and his death occurred
September 13, 1894. In 1840 he married Rachel B., daughter of Samuel and Ruth
(Selby) Troop, natives of Connecticut. He came with his parents to Port Gibson,
thence to Pultneyville, he being the first settler there. The parents of Samuel were
Benjamin and Rachael (Brown) Throop. Samuel Throop kept the first hotel at Pult-
neyville. He went sailing as captain and was drowned in Sodus Bay. Mr. and Mrs.
Holling have had these children : Armine, Franklin, Lilly and Julia are deceased ; Ruth
Ann was the wife of E. Lawrence of Sodus, after whose death she married Samuel
Owen of Rochester, also deceased ; Sarah Jane is the wife of George D. Phelps of
Chicago. James Holling is captain of a barge. Mary F. Holling lives in the old home
with the mother. They attend and support the M. E. church.
Heit, Philip, was born in the town of Galen January 7, 1839. His father, Michael,
was a native of Alsace, Germany, and served under Napoleon Bonaparte three years.
He emigrated to the United States in 1825 and was among the first colony in Lyons.
He died in 1875, aged eighty years. Philip was educated in the common schools, to
which he has added through life by reading and close observation. At the age of
twenty-nine he married Charlotte, daughter of Peter Walheiser, and they have three
children : William E., Jessie E., and Yada. In 1881 he purchased of his brother,
George, the John Terry and the Stevenson farm of 275 acres, raising fruit, hay, grain,
and stock. Our subject is one of the largest farmers in his town, taking an active in-
terest in educational and religious matters.
Blaker, Thomas R., of Macedon, was in Brighton, Monroe county, January 28, 1840,
son of Patrocles Blaker, who was a native of Pennsylvania. The latter came to New
York State in 1818, the date of his birth being 1800. He settled ^Rochester and worked
at his trade, masonry, for two years, then bought a place in Henrietta, Monroe county,
which farm he worked for two years, then sold and moved to Brighton, where he died
156 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
in 1886, aged eighty-six years. He married Mariah Carter, of New Jersey, by whom
he had ten children, six now living. Thomas R. Blaker has always followed farming.
He married, in 1863, Eliza J. Hagaman, and they have four children, three now living :
Charles D., Lizzie, and Mahlon H. A daughter, Lillie, died in infancy. Charles D. is
married and lives in Minnesota. He is a Baptist minister. Our subject is a member of
the A. 0. U. W., the Grange, and Mrs. Blaker is a member of the Presbyterian church.
Furlong, Perry B., was born in the town of Galen, October 2, 1813. His father,
John, came to Wayne county in the spring of 1812, purchased a farm, and built a log
house in the woods. He died in 1859, aged seventy-nine years. Perry B. laid the
foundation of his education in the log school house of his district. In 1836 he married
Charlotte T.. daughter of Jacob Raymer, who died in the spring of 1875, and in the fall
of the same year he married Nancy, daughter of Wdliam Collins, and they have one
son, Austin. Our subject is one of the representative farmers of his town, taking an
intelligent interest in educational and religious matters.
Teats, John H, was born in Dutchess county, April 18, 1832, and is the youngest of
the four children of Henry J. and Eliza M. (Fellows) Teats. Both were descended
from German parentage, the ancestors coming from Germany in the early days, and
the old homestead being in the family for 140 years. Henry Teats was one of the
prominent men of Lafayetteville, Dutchess county, where he died in 1848. Our sub-
ject was reared to the milling business, but went to New York city when eighteen
years of age and was employed at the St. Nicholas Hotel for some years and was also
in business for himself for a number of years. He came to Williamson in 1859 and
has since resided on the farm of eighty acres which he owns, and carries on fruit farm-
ing, having thirty five acres of berries, twenty-five of peaches, four of currants, eight
of plums, and fourteen of apples. Mr. Teats is a Republican and was custom house
officer for two years ; also inspector of elections and town collector. He is a member
of the John D. Willard Lodge, No. 250, F. & A. M., and a member of the A. 0. U. W.
and the Williamson Grange. In 1860 he married Bertha B., daughter of Hamilton and
Rebecca (Brown) Cooper of Williamson, her family being relatives of Peter Cooper and
of James Fenimore Cooper and descended from Sir Anthony Ashley Cooper. They
have four children : Fred H., who married Mary Berry of Chicago and resides in Roch-
ester ; Sylvester, who married Flora Clock and resides in Ontario and has two children ;
J. Percival at home; and Raymond at home. Mr. Teats enlisted in Co. E, 111th N. Y.
Volunteer Infantry, and served three years, and was in the battles of Gettysburg, Cold
Harbor, Wilderness, and Petersburg.
Plate er, Solomon, was born in Columbia county, N. Y., March 31, 1831. His father,
John Platner, came to Clyde in 1832 and located on a farm near Clyde in 1850, where
he died m 1863. His wife, Elizabeth, died December 4, 1882, leaving eight children
living of a family of twelve. At fourteen years of age Solomon began life with a clerk-
ship in a grocery at Clyde, then was for several years in post office and general store,
and in 1847 began business under his own name in Clyde. In 185- he married Maria
L., daughter of Millard Olmstead of Savannah, who became the mother of five children,
three survive her: Nathaniel O., Francis E. and Alice M. Nathaniel is now in Ne-
braska a dealer in grain and produce. Frances E. is the wife of William H. Proudfit of
Denver, Col., who is a real estate dealer and commission merchant, and Alice M., the
wife of R. D. Curtis of Marion, Wayne county, who is editor and proprietor of the
Marion Enterprise. Maria L. Platner died in 1872; she was widely known for her
Christian character and benevolence. Mr. Platner married second, in 1874, Margaret
Elizabeth, daughter of the late James Proudfit of Seneca Falls, N. Y., who some years
ago was one of its most enterprising citizens ; their home is in the southwestern portion
of Savannah on a farm of 130 acres ; is a Democrat in politics.
FAMILY SKETCHES. 157
Everhart, W. H., born in Galen, October 27, 1840. His fathec, Samuel Everhart, a
well known and highly respected resident of Galen, is now ninety-two years of age,
and his paternal ancestors were all celebrated for their longevity. W. H. Everhart,
who made farming his principal business, first followed that occupation in Walworth,
having only recently become a citizen of Butler. December 25, 1867, he married Eliz-
abeth, daughter of Hugh Ross, late of Galen. The r daughter, Alma J., born February
3, 1873, married in 1894, William T. Pethic, an expert machinist and electrician of On-
tario ; and their son, Hugh R. Everhart, born September 1, 1876. follows farming.
Pallister, Harley C, was born on the Pallister homestead in Williamson October 9,
1856. He is a son of William Pallister, who came from England to America in 1827
and settled on the farm now owned by our subject, where he lived and died. His wife
was Elizabeth, daughter of Joseph Church, of Williamson, and they had two sons and
one daughter, all deceased but our subject. Mr. Pallister was an active anti-slavery
advocate, and was for a while road commissioner of Williamson. He died in 1879, and
his wife in 1892. Harley C. was educated in Sodus Academy. He commenced busi-
ness on the homestead farm, and has always resided there. He married in January,
1892, Julia, daughter of William and Emma Pugsley, of Williamson. Mr. Pallister has
a farm of sixty acres and is engaged in general farming and fruit growing, also evaporat-
ing fruit. He sells harvesting machinery, farming implements, fertilizers and evaporat-
ing and dairy fixtures. They attend and support the M. E. Church.
Fuller, Roswell D., was born in Walworth July 19, 1849, son of Wells B. and Lu-
cinda (Foskett) Fuller, he a native of Grand Isle, Vt., born April 15, 1815, and she of
Walworth, born October 12, 1818. The paternal grandfather of subject came to Penn-
ington when a young man, and in 1842 came to Walworth and purchased a farm of
seventy- eight acres, a part of which is owned by our subject, where he died. He was
educated in Lima Seminary and followed teaching several years, He was a butcher
and stock dealer for a number of years, and was also justice of the peace. He died
April 3, 1894, and his wife March 3, 1885. Subject was reared on a farm and educated
in Walworth and Macedon Academies. He engaged in farming, owns .103 acres, and
makes a specialty of raising potatoes. He is now serving as assessor of the town.
November 29, 1881, he married Elizabeth C. Frey, a native of Penfield and daughter of
Michael and Caroline (Westerman) Frey, he a native of Oneida county, born August
25, 1834, and she born in 1838. Mrs. Frey died April 20, 1875.
Allen, Wells A., was born in Fulton, N. Y., April 26, 1844. He married January 16,
1859, F. Minerva, daughter of Elias Cady, of Granby, Oswego county. Mr. Allen
operates a farm of 200 acres in Savannah, and has for sixteen years dealt largely in leaf
tobacco for New York houses. They have but one child living, Bert J., born July 5,
1862, two other sons, Frank and Oscar, being deceased. Bert J. married November 14,
1884, Flora, daughter of Alex Hosier, of Baldwinsviile. Allen and son have recently
purchased of E. B. Male, the Casey house in Railroad street, Savannah, and opened it
to the public in April, 1894, as a restaurant and billiard parlor.
Bates, C. A., was born at Jordan, June 27, 1849, a son of Daniel 0. Bates, who died in
1885. The latter married Lydia M., daughter of Samuel Tucker of New Jersey, who
died two years after her husband, leaving fourteen children, ten now living. One of
the daughters is the wife of John B. Laird, of Savannah. C. A. Bates learned the ma-
chinist's trade at Clyde, but farming being more to his taste, he bought, in 1880, a farm
of seventy-five acres, two miles north of the village. May 15, 1873, he married Ellen,
daughter of Charles A. Reed, of Bridgeport, Conn., and they have four children Charles
F., born May 4, 1877; Minnie L., born September 13, 1879; Cynthia E., born August
23, 1881 ; Russell, who died in infancy, in 1882 ; and Howard, born July 27, 1886. Mr.
Bates is a prominent Prohibitionist, and has served as school trustee for a long time.
He and his wife are members of the M. E. Church.
158 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
Cotton, Jerome, is a son of David Cotton, who settled at Eastern Savannah in a very
early day, and reclaimed fifty acres of the wilderness. His wife was Susan Burch, and
of their eleven children, five are now living: Abbie, wife of Thomas Wenform, of
Butler; Sarah, wife of Henry Walker, of Savannah; Jerome; Mary, wife of L. D.
Reamer, of Savannah ; and Lucy, wife of Willoughby Prettie, of Conquest, Cayuga
county. Jerome was born in 1836, and passed his early life in and near Savannah.
At the age of twenty he bought fifty acres of land and now owns 175 acres about the
old homestead, three miles northeast of the village. November 13, 1862, he married
Julia Dean of Savannah, and their children are: Etta, born in 1863 ; Burdette, born in
1865 ; William E., born in 1S67 ; David Or., born in 1870 ; Lucy O, born in 1872 ;
Merton, born in 1876; Mertie, born in 1877; and Blanche, born in 1879. Etta is the
wife of Henry Devoe, of Montezuma ; Burdette married Clara Decker of Butler and
lives at Dewitt, N. Y.; and Lucy is the wife of John Hillebrand, of Savannah.
Cotten, D. J., of Savannah, was born here July 16, 1858, the son of Ephraim and
Sally (Jane) Harrington Cotten, whose parents were pioneers of this county. Delos J.
received his education at Adrian College, Mich., graduating as B. S. in 1888. During
the year succeeding his graduation he filled the position of financial secretary for his
alma mater. In 1884 he returned to Savannah, the home of his boyhood. December
24, 1884, he married Anna E. Dunham, who was born in 1857, and who is the mother
of two children: Eva, born September 30, 1888, and a son, born August 24, 1893. Mr.
Cotten's parents died when he was twelve years of age. He is a prime mover in the
Prohibition movement in Savannah, serving in 1893 as chairman of the Prohibition
Committee. He has been excise commissioner three years, and is a leader in Sunday
school work in the M. E. Church. In April, 1884, in partnership with C. W. Water-
man, he opened a dry goods store in this village, but the fire of 1885 terminated that
partnership, after which he conducted the business alone until March 1, 1891, when he
associated with him Bertram Clark, which firm still continues. To the energy and
public spirit of Mr. Cotten Savannah is largely indebted for the fine Union School
building erected in 1892.
Coleman, C. A., junior member of the firm of Bullock & Coleman, merchant millers
at South Butler, was born at Victory, Cayuga county, July 9, 1870. He is the son
of S. A. and Marian (Crossman) Coleman, and one of a family of six children, none
of whom are residents of Wayne county except himself. He was educated at Red