and has for many years been known as one of the leading farmers of his town. His
wife was Fannie M. Stewart, and they have had nine children. Mrs. Fish died Jan-
uary 13, 1894, and Mr. Fish now resides in his native town at the age of eighty-two.
He has been highway commissioner of the town. He is a member of the M. E.
Church, of which his wife was a member until her death. He is a Republican. His
children are all away from home except his daughter, Hattie, who attends her father
in his sickness and also assists him in the management of his farm.
Foist, George P. (deceased), was born on the Foist homestead in 1840. His father
was John L. At the age of twenty- seven he married Mary A., daughter of Peter Mal-
hizer, by whom he has one daughter, Mrs. C. M. Robinson of Newark, N. Y., and one
son, John W. Foist. Our subject was one of the representative farmers of his town,
and died April 1, 1890. John W. Foist married Sarah, daughter of George Oakleaf, by
whom he has one son, George P., who manages his father's estate of 180 acres, raising
fruit, hay, grain and stock.
Everhart, H. L., was born at Danby, N. Y., April 6, 1833. His father, Samuel Ever-
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
hart, is now and has been for fifty years a resident of Lock Berlin, Wayne couuty, and
is now ninety-two years of age. His mother, Katherine, died in 1884, aged seventy-
seven years. Henry was in earlier life for ten years a dealer in lumber, operating a saw
mill at Clyde. In 1866 he began farming in Arcadia, removing in 1891 to Butler.
October 27, 1356, he married Eunice, daughter of Harvey and Maria Bishop, of Galen,
and their children are: Frank, born September 29/1858, who married Nellie Phelps of
Galen, and is a farmer and dairyman in Yates county ; Foist, born June 15, 1860, mar-
FAMILY SKETCHES. 177
ried Adele Pulou of Sodus. He graduated from the Albany Law school in 1886, and is
now practicing in Buffalo. Subject and wife are members of the M. E. Church.
Field, N. J., North Wolcott, dealer in dry goods, groceries, hardware, crockery, etc.,
born at Sterling September 15, 1843, is the second son of the late Simeon and Harriet
Field. Simeon Field was born in Vermont, and for many years was a builder at Ster-
ling and Victory. Nathaniel, our subject, was educated at the Red Creek Academy,
and before he attained his majority became a soldier, going out with the famous Ninth
Heavy Artillery. He escaped unhurt the perils of Cedar Creek, but was afterwards
confined to a hospital many months. In 1865 he married Ellen, daughter of Nelson
Lovejoy, of Wolcott, and they had three children : the oldest, Lillie Theresa, having
died when ten years old. The others are Nelson, Hattie and Nellie. In 1874 Mr. Fields
established the mercantile business at North Wolcott, and has continued since without
interruption. He was postmaster at that place eight years. He is assessor at present.
Foster, William, was born in Palmyra in 1814, of English descent. His parents were
Cyrus and Millicent Foster, natives of Long Island, who located here in 1892. He died
in 1854 and his wife in 1837. In 1844 William married Esther Young, a native of
Albany, and their children are : Albesta, who married Lyman Herbert, and died in
1884 ; Charles, Cyrus, Salem, Whalend and Edward. Mr. Foster has been prominent
in education and public matters, and has served as school commissioner, supervisor, and
president of the School Board.
Fellows, George F., was born in Lyons Jannary 12, 1859. His father, John E., came
to Lyons in 1830, has passed a very active business life, and is one of the prominent
men of the town. George F. was educated in the Lyons Union school and finished at
the Cazenovia-Oneida Conference Seminary, after which he taught four years and man-
aged his father's farm. In 1886 he established his present business of general produce,
agricultural implements, coal and fertilizers, handling the largest amount of his special-
ties of any house in Wayne county. At the age of thirty-one he married Grace, daugh-
ter of M. B. Brandage of Lyons, and they are the parents of one son, Edward F. He
is a Republican in politics, and is now assessor in the town, taking an intelligent interest
in educational and religious matters, and is identified in advancing" its best interests.
Forrester, H. E., was born in Tryon, N. Y., February 11, 1860. His father was a
native of that town, also a wholesale grocer of Elmira, H. E. Forrester was educated
in Elmira. In 1883 he entered the Philadelphia Dental College, also Hospital of Oral
Surgery, and graduated in 1886, then came to Lyons and purchased the W. T. Reynolds
dental rooms, where he is now established in business having one of the best appointed
offices in Wayne county, fitted with all modern appliances and using the latest improved
methods known to his profession. At the age of twenty-seven he married Adelaide,
daughter of Jacob Kern, of Terre Haute, Ind., and they are the parents of two children :
George K., and Margaret E. Our subject is one of the progressive men of his town,
identified in advancing its bests interests in church and school matters, being the first
president of Eastern Wayne Y. P. S. C. E., and chairman of the organizing committee
of the Y. M. C. A., also a director in that association and member of the 7th district
Dental Society of Western New York.
Finn, Allen S., was born at Clifton, Pa., February 4, 1840. He is the oldest of seven
children of Urial and Jane (Sanders) Finn, natives of Scranton, Pa. Urial Finn is a
boat builder by trade, which he followed for many years. He was also a farmer, but
has now retired and lives in Marion. Mrs. Finn died in 1879. Allen S. in early life
learned the trade of boat builder, at which he worked at Lockport for a number of
years with success, but having met with reverses he gave up the business. He has since
been engaged for seven years in the insurance business in Buffalo, and engaged in
farming in Marion, where in 1874 he purchased 122 acres, on which he has put out
178 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
gfty six acres of apple orchard, He married, in 1873, Kittie House, of Lockport, by
whom he has one daughter, Kittie E. She was educated at the schools of Lockport,
and is now studying stenography and typewriting. Mrs. Finn died in 1885, and Mr.
Finn married, second, Jennie 0. Smith, of Marion.
Freeman, Frank R., was born in Nova Scotia August 9, 1859. His father, Samuel,
a general trader at Milton, Nova Scotia, also engaged in West India trade, and repre-
sented the Legislature for twelve years. Frank R. laid the foundation of his education
in the common schools, taking a course of lectures in the Medical School at Halifax,
the Dalhousie University, and in the Massachusetts School of Pharmacy, making a
special study of chemistry and pharmacy. In the spring of 1869 he came to Clyde,
and in connection wiih C. C. Martin purchased the drug store formerly owned by Lyle
Ackerman. In 1894 he bought Mr. Martin's interest and is now carrying on a large
and fine selected stock of imported and domestic drugs. At the age of thirty-one he
married Ellen, daughter of Robert Anderson, of Baddick, Cape Britain, and they have
had two daughters, Amy and Dorothy. Our subject is a s-upporter of educational and
Finch, Charles H., was born in the town of Butler December 27, 1852. His father.
David S., was a native of the town of Rose, and is now a prominent farmer in Galen.
Charles H. was educated in the district schools, Dr. Sweeting's private school, and
finished at the Falley Seminary, Fulton, N.Y. He afterward returned to his father's
farm and in 1874 came to Clyde and engaged in the clothing business, "remaining two
years. In 1876 he went to Wolcott and established himself in the same business, re-
maining ten years. He then came back to Clyde and purchased the clothing stock of
C. A. Howe, and is now carrying one of the largest and best selected stock of fine
merchant tailoring and gents' furnishing goods in Clyde. At the age of twenty-five he
married Mary, daughter of Dratt Francis, of Butler, and they have one daughter, Maude.
Our subject has lived an active business life, taking an intelligent interest in educational
and religious matters.
Frost, Oscar J., was born April 2, 1844, on the spot where he now resides, and which
was reclaimed from the wilderness by his father, Alanson Frost, who was a pioneer
from Connecticut. Alanson Frost cleared with his own hands most of the 125 acres
now constituting the homestead farm and upon which he erected a log cabin. He was
a pensioner of 1812, and died at the old home December 27, 1867. Oscar was a school
boy. fresh from Falley Seminary, when he enlisted in the famous 9th Heavy Artillery
in August, 1862, and went with them to the front, a sergeant at eighteen. Through all
the perils of Cold Harbor, Monocacy, Cedar Creek, and Winchester, the boy soldier
passed unscathed, and so passed three years in active service. November 27, 1867, he
married Augusta, daughter of John Caywood, of Wolcott, and they have one son,
Alfred W., born March 9, 1869, and now a merchant in New York. Also Bertha M.,
a daughter by adoption, born March 25, 1877. Mr. Frost is now justice of the peace
for the second term.
Everhart, W. H., born in Galen October 27, 1840. His father, Samuel Everhart, a
well and highly respected resident of Galen, is now ninety- two years of age, and his
paternal ancestors were all celebrated for their longevity. W. H. Everhart, who made
farming his principal business, first followed that occupation in Walworth, having only
recently become a citizen of Butler. December 24, 1867, he married Elizabeth, daugh-
ter of Hugh Ross, late of Galen. Their daughter, Alma J., born February 3, 1873, mar-
ried, in 1894, William T. Pethic, of Ontario, and their son, Hugh, born September 1,
1876, is an expert machinist and electrician in the West.
Edwards, D. L., D.D.S., was born in Waterville, March 2, 1864. His father, David
L, Edwards, was a native of Wales and came to the United States in 1849. He was a
FAMILY SKETCHES. 17!)
prominent farmer. D. L. Edwards was educated at the Waterville Union School and
Academy, and in 1890 he entered the Philadelphia Dental College, from which he grad-
uated in 1892. In the same year he came to Clyde and established his dental parlors,
employing the latest and most improved appliances, in all branches of dentistry and using
a special local anesthetic of his own preparation, which has been demonstrated to be
perfectly harmless, as proven by the testimony of the leading people of all parts of
Wayne county. He is a member of the Odd Fellows, and of the Apollo Club.
Emigh, David A., was born in the town of Galen June 22, 1849. His father, Peter,
came from Dutchess county to Wayne county in 1845, and settled in the town of Galen.
His wife was Sarah A., daughter of Beriah Austin of Dutchess county. He died in
1887, aged ninety-one years. David A. was educated in the common schools. At the
age of twenty-five he married Kate C, daughter of Dr. E. J. Schoonmaker, of Tyre,
Seneca county. In 1887 he bought the J. W. Hopkins property of ninety acres, raising
fruit, hay, grain and stock. Our subject is identified in advancing the best interests of
Everhart, Samuel, was born in Winchester, Northumberland county, Pa., January 25,
1804. His father, Frederick, was a native of Germany, and came to the United States
before 1800. Samuel Everhart married Catherine Foist, and they have six children :
Rebecca A., Margaret, Jane, Henry, William and John. In 1842 he bought the Andrew
Yan Hooven property of 113 acres, raising fruit, hay, grain and stock. Our subject has
been a member of the Presbyterian Church, of Lyons, fifty-six years, and is recognized
as a man of sterling integrity.
Eyer, Henry, was born in the town of Galen November 17, 1848. His father, Fred-
erick, was a native of Germany and came to the United States in 1830. He married
Lanie Links, and died in 1890 aged seventy-two. Henry Eyer was educated in the
common schools, and at the age of twenty-two married Dora E., daughter of Jacob
Rankert, and they have two daughters, Mattie L., and Carrie E. In 1882 he bought the
Israel Phelps property of 208 acres, raising fruit, hay, grain and stock. Our subject is
one of the representative farmers of the town, taking an intelligent interest in educational
and religious matters.
Elliott, Charles, was born in Genesee county August 22, 1834, son of John and Ellen
(Needham) Elliott, he a native of Massachusetts and she of Yermont. They came to
Batavia in 1830, where they died when our subject was a child, and he was reared by
his uncle, James Elliott. He was educated in the common schools, and at the age of
thirty learned the jeweler's trade, which he followed some time. Later he went to
California and engaged in mining, where he remained until 1861. He enlisted in Co. D,
1st Cavalry, California Yols., and served three years. He then returned to Walworth
and in 1864 re-enlisted in Co. F, 3d N. Y. Inf., and served until the close of the war.
He was at the battle of Fort Craig and Red River expedition, served until the close of
the war and three months afterward. He was corporal two years and sergeant most of
the time during the last enlistment. He then returned to Walworth and engaged in
partnership with Mr. Rabe in the boot and shoe business for six years, and since then
has been engaged in the jewelry business. He is overseer of the poor, having held the
office ten years, and was also town clerk two years. He has been trustee of the schools
six years, a member of the Walworth Lodge No. 254, F. & A. M. He married in 1866
Maggie Hartwell, a native of Canada, and daughter of Edwin and Rhoda Hartwell,
natives of Canada. Mr. Elliott and wife have four children : Charles E., born January
2, 1867, educated in Walworth Academy, learned the jeweler's trade with his father,
and is now in business in Williamson. He married in 1892 Libbie Sawyer, of Walworth,
by whom he has one child, Leah E. Jessie, who died in infancy ; Willie, born July 3,
1876, educated in Walworth Academy and resides at home ; and one who died in
180 LANDMARKS OP WAYNE COUNTY.
Ely, George S., born in 1836, is the son of the late Alvah and Harriet Elizabeth Ely,
who were Jefferson county farmers, and who reared a family of ten children. Our sub-
ject is the sole living representative of his family in Wayne county, his father having
died in 1877 at the age of seventy-eight, and his mother in 1875, aged seventy-four.
George spent his boyhood and school days in Jefferson county, where he was for ten
years a schoolmate and intimate friend of Roswell P. Flower. In 1859 he married
Mary A., daughter of Thomas Faire, of Depauville, N.Y., and has two children, William
and Amy L.
Dratt, L. H., late of South Butler, was a prominent man in that locality, and repre-
sented the town on the Board of Supervisors in 1888 and 1889. Republican in politics,
he was also for many years a justice of the peace and assessor. He was born in Butler
September 26, 1830, and farming has been his principal occupation. September 11,
1889, he married Helen, daughter of Andrew Piersall, of Savannah. He died Novem-
ber 20, 1893, after a long and painful illness.
De Right, Henry, was born in Williamson, Wayne county, July 22, 1860. He is the
youngest of six sons of Adrian and Magdelena De Right. Henry was reared on the
farm and educated in the schools of Williamson. He came with his parents to Marion,
where he worked on the homestead farm till 1888, when he removed to the farm he
now owes. Mr. De Right has a farm of 124 acres, and carries on general farming and
fruit growing. He and wife are members of the Grange, and he is a member of the
K. 0. T. M. January 15, 1889, he married Lizzie, daughter of Daniel and Mary McGee,
of Palmyra. Mr. and Mrs. De Right have had two sons : Samuel, who died aged one
year, and Weldon.
De Right, Daniel, was born in Williamson, Wayne county, in 1866, the fourth of six
sons of Adrian and Magdalena De Right. He was reared on a farm and commenced
business as farm hand and painting, but soon engaged in the fruit evaporating business,
which he has always followed in connection with farming and fruit growing. He now
owns seventy-six acres of land, which he purchased in 1893, it being a part of the
homestead. He married, Jannary 29, 1893, Elizabeth Brown, of Marion. He is a mem-
ber of the Marion K. O. T. M., also of the Grange. He and wife attend and support
the Christian church, of Marion.
Deright, Hermones D., born in Williamson in 1853, is a son of Adrian and Magdelena
Deright, natives of Holland. The grandfather, Jesse, emigrated from France'to Holland,
where he engaged in farming, fie came to America about 1849, settled in Pultney-
ville, living with one of his sons. The family of seven are all deceased except Cath-
erine, wife of John Putty. Adrian Deright was born in 1815, and came to America
with his parents. He bought and sold several small farms, then bought sixty acres
which he gave to his sons, and bought seventy-seven acres in Marion, He also helped
one of his sons buy a farm of 140 acres. He died in November, 1892. H. D. Deright
commenced work at the age of twenty-one and worked three years. He married
Mary, daughter of Daniel Delass, of East Williamson, by whom he has two sons and
two daughters : Sarah, Adrian, and Minnie, who survive, and Samuel, who died in in-
fancy. Mr. Deright has a farm of 133 acres and is largely engaged in fruit growing.
He has twenty-five acres of apples and three acres each of pears, plums, quinces,
fifteen acres of raspberries. He is a strong temperance advocate, is a member of
Williamson Grange, also of Williamson Tent No. 152, K. 0. T. M.
Dow, Jasper E., was born in Butler in 1836, son of John and Mary Dow, who came
here from Vermont in 1832. John Dow was one of the first settlers at North Wolcott,
purchasing 300 acres at $5 an acre. He died in 1884, leaving six children, and his wife
is yet living at the ripe age of eighty-two years. Jasper's educational advantages were
few, and he was for many years a traveling salesman and a speculator in real estate. In
FAMILY SKETCHES. 181
1872 he bought a saw mill plant near Wolcott, which he still operates, and he has also
commenced the manufacture of spring beds, with every facility for a large production,
October 8, 1859, he married Olive Ash, of Primrose, Wis., and they have one son, John
D., born March 1, 1865, now an employee of the D. & R. G. R. R. at Salida, Colo.
Davis, B. D., born in Orleans county December 9, 1824, was the third of eight chil-
dren of Oliver and Betsey Davis, a native of Montgomery county, N. Y., and emigrated
to Palmyra in 1815, he being eighteen years of age. He went to Orleans county and
after five years returned. to Palmyra, and finally emigrated to Michigan in 1856 where
he died in 1881, and his wife in 1841. He was educated in Marion Academy, learned
the furnace trade, and followed that twelve and the blacksmith trade twenty-six years.
He now owns a farm of eighty-five acres, and lives in the village of Marion. He mar-
ried January 4, 1847, Arvilla Skinner, a native of Marion, by whom he has had four
children : John, Allie, deceased ; Oliver and Emma. He and wife attend the Christian
Devoe, Daniel, was born in the town of Mentz, Cayuga county October 24, 1837.
His father, Daniel, was a native of St. Lawrence county. The family were of French
and English extraction. Daniel Devoe, sr., died at his son's residence in Clyde in 1893,
aged eighty years. Daniel Devoe, jr., was educated in the common schools, to which
he has added through life by reading and close observation. At the age of twenty-five
he married Mary E., daughter of Henry Miller, and they have three daughters : Mrs.
Stella M. Mead, Mrs. Olga Watson and Florence W. In 1876 he bought the Erastus
Snidecker property of 112 acres, and in 1888 bought the Gideon Ramsdell property of
160 acres in the town of Savannah, raising fruit, hay, grain and stock. Our subject is
one of the representative farmers of his town, taking an intelligent interest in educa-
tional and religious matters.
De Laney, Henry Suydam, was born in the town of Galen April 4, 1826. His father,
Jonathan De'Laney, came to the town of Galen in 1822 and was a prominent farmer,
and justice of the peace of this town. He died in Michigan in 1848 at the age of fifty'.
Henry S.De Laney was educated in the common schools and in 1852 went to California
and with the exception of one short trip east, spent thirteen years in Oregon, Washing-
ton, British Columbia, engaged in mining and mercantile enterprises, returning in 1866.
Dunning, G. W., was born in North East, Dutchess county January 16, 1822. His
father, Samuel, came to Wayne county in 1847, and settled in Lyons. He was born in
Dutchess county in 1789, and died in Lyons in 1876. G. W, Dunning was educated in
the common schools. At the age of twenty-eight he married Phoebe, daughter of
Elisha Barton, of Lyons, and they are the parents of one son, Charles Barton of Lyons.
In 1855 he bought the Judge Churchill property and afterwards bought part of the
Vorhees estate. Our subject is one of the intelligent men of the town, and is identified
in educational and religious matters.
Durfee, Hiram C, of Macedon. was born in the town of Palmyra April 5, 1830. He
is a descendant of the old family of Durfee of Tiverton, R. I. In 1790 Gideon and
Edward Durfee came to Farmington, and in the fall Gideon returned, reporting so
favorably that the whole family resolved to come here. Gideon returned in the winter
of 1790-91 on an ox sled, consuming seventeen and a half days upon the journey.
Gideon located on what was known as Durfee street, a short distance below Palmyra.
The father of our subject, William Durfee, was born May 3, 1800. Hiram C. married
December 21, 1853, Susan M. Lapham, daughter of Richard and Ruth Lapham, also an
old pioneer family of this section. Hiram C. settled on his present place in 1854,
(where his wife was born). Mr. Durfee was elected supervisor, serving during 1880-81.
Mr. and Mrs. Durfee are members of the Friends Church, and own one of the finest
farms in the town.
182 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
Deuchler, Plilip, was born in Alsace, Germany, September 14, 1838, came to the
United States in 1855, and settled in Syracuse for five years. After various employ-
ments, he established his present business in Lyons in 18G6. Starting in a small way
with one man, he has increased his force up to the present time, employing from twelve
to fifteen men, and three separate buildings of three stories and basement each, manu-
facturing wagons and sleighs and making a specialty of horse shoeing, and all kinds of
repairing. At the age of twenty-eight he married Dorothy T., daughter of George
Hoppel, and they are the parents of four children : Edward P., Charles H., Albert L.,
and one daughter, Florence. He is a Republican in politics, and has been trustee of the
town. Our subject is one of the most successful business men in Lyons. Self-made
and self-educated his life has been a success, owing to the ability and sterling integrity
of his character.
Dillingham, Delos, was born in Seneca county, August 25, 1846. His father, Will-
iam S., was a native of Wayne county, the family coming from Orange county. Delos
was educated in the common schools, to which he has added through life by reading
and close observation. At the age of twenty-two he married Elizabeth H., daughter of
Thomas F. Stanton of Lyons, and they have had five children, four of whom are now
living: Ora, Clinton D., Mrs. Cairie E. Aldrich and Belle I. Dillingham. In 1876 he
bought the Daniel B. Westfall property of forty-four acres, raising hay, grain and
stock. Our subject is identified in advancing the best interests of the town.
Doty. John Franklin, was born in Huron in 1866, is the son of John Doty a native
of New York, who was a carpenter and farmer. His wife was Mrs. Emeline (Ben-
nett) Stanley, who had two children, Richard and Nettie, wife of Jacob Waldruff. Mr.
and Mrs. Doty have had these children : William Wesley, Delia Ann, wife of Edward
Lasher of Huron, and John F. At the age of sixteen subject began for himself, at
twenty-one purchased the homestead of seventy acres, and in connection with farming
is interested in the evaporating business. In 1888 he married Adelia O, daughter of
Stephen and Lucy (Doolittle) Sherman, of Huron. Mr. and Mrs. Doty are members of
the Huron Grange, and in politics subject is a Republican.
Dowd, Judson H., one of Huron's patriots, was born in Huron August 7, 1843, son