Cogswell, Hiram S., was born in Marion November 16, 1817, the oldest of six born
to Joseph S. and Sarah E. (Smith) Cogswell. Joseph S. was born in Rhode Island,
September 9, 1797 and died in 1887. His wife was born November 15, 1798, and died
January 25, 1845. Our subject was reared on a farm, educated in the common schools,
and has followed farming. He spent most of his life in Marion on his farm of 245
acres. He came to Williamson in 1882, and also owns 135 acres of land near the vil-
lage. He has taken an active interest in the politics of the day. He and his wife are
members of the Baptist Church, and he has always been a temperance advocate.
He married February 17, 1841, Ruth Putnam, born in Walworth, November 25, 1821,
by whom he had three children; Agatha E., born November 12, 1842, who died
September 2, 1847; Marvin, born December 9, 1851; and Elistine D., born October 16,
1854, who died June 9, 1863. Marvin married first, Emma Thompson, who died No-
vember 22, 1886, and second Julia Pontie. He was educated in the New York In-
stitute for Deaf Mutes. Mrs. Cogswell died March 31, 1891, and in 1892 he married
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
Ophelia M. Huggins, a native of Illinois, and a daughter of Jonathan and Jane A. (Put-
nam) Huggins, natives of Cornish, Mass., and of Walworth, N. Y., respectively. Mr.
Huggins died in 1876 and his wife in 1881. Ruth Putnam, wife of our subject, and
Jane A. Putnam, mother of his present wife, were sisters, their father being Stephen
Putnam, an early settler of Walworth, and a direct descendant of Israel Putnam. Mr.
Cogswell assisted in drawing lumber from Marion for the building of the first railroad
in the State of New York.
Cornelius, John, born in Holland in 1837, is the son of Adam and Sarah Cornelius,
who reared a family of six children now living. They both died in Holland. Subject
was reared on a farm and afterward engaged as sailor, but has been a farmer since he
came to Wayne county. He came to Palmyra in October, 1867, and to Williamson in
1875. He now owns 150 acres of land and follows general farming and fruit raising,
also mint and onions. Mr. Cornelius married in 1867 Cora Scotchman, a native of Hol-
land, by whom he has these children : Adrian, Mary, John, Sarah, Cora, Jacob and
Peter. The father of Mrs. Cornelius was John Scotchman a native of Holland, where
he died. Mr. Cornelius and family are members of the Reformed Church.
FAMILY SKETCHES. 189
Cole. Salathiel A., was a son of Welcome Cole, who died in 1883, aged ninety-two
years. He was a prominent figure among the pioneer settlers of Butler. It was largely
by his own efforts that nearly 500 acres of arable land were reclaimed from the prime-
val forest. The old homestead in central Butler, which was the theatre of his life
work is now jointly owned by his sons, Salathiel and Harlow, who were born here the
oldest in 1827. Some cylinders of basswood cut by Welcome Cole, seventy-five years
ago, are still in use for the storage of grain. Salathiel married Mary Chamber] in of
Auburn, in 1880.
Calkins, Clarissa V., widow of the late Hudson Calkins, who was born in Butler in
1840. They were married in 1862, and they had two children, Hattie and Frank. Mr.
Calkins went to the front in 1862, as second lieutenant Company G, 9th Artillerv, and
served with honor until the close of the war. He died in 1872. Clarissa Calkins is the
daughter of F. H. Moore, who with his parents came from Connecticut in 1810 with a
team of oxen. He was then five years of age and lived in the town of Butler for eighty
years after. His wife who was born in Massachusetts in 1811, survived him until 1894.
Creager, William, was born in Galen December 26, 1836. His father, William, was
a native of Fredericksburg, Md., came to Wayne county in 1785, and settled on lot 93
where his descendants now reside, the property having been in the family for more
than 100 years. He died in 1837, aged forty-nine years. He married Elizabeth, daugh-
ter of John Barrick. William Creager was educated in the common schools, and at the
age of twenty-seven married Lucina I ., daughter of David Closs, by whom he had two
children, Mrs. Belle Sutterby and David Gr. Creager. In 1881 he bought the old home-
stead of 100 acres, raising mint, fruit, hay, grain and stock. Our subject is one of the
representative farmers of his town, elected assessor for three years, and takes an active
interest in school and church matters.
Clouse, Charles, was born in the town of Arcadia November 28, 1859. His father
was a native of Alsace, Germany, and came to the United States in 1850. He married
Magdalena Brock, and died in 1888, aged seventy-one years. Charles Clouse was edu-
cated in the common schools, and a the age of twenty- three married Mary A., daugh-
ter of Charles A. Bremner, by whom he has two sons, Irving and Frank. In 1882 he
bought the Levanway property of 103 acres, raising fruit, hay, grain and stock. Our
subject is one the representative farmers in Wayne county, and takes an active interest
in educational and religious matters.
Crane, Zebina, born in Marion July 20, 1818, is the oldest of two children of Jacob
G., and Parmelia (Dexter) Crane. Mr. Crane came to Marion with his parents, Zebina
and Mary E. Crane in 1804, and here Zebina died in 1820, and his wife died in Illinois
in 1840. Jacob G. was a farmer, and was poormaster of the town. He and his wife
are both dead. He married twice afterward, his second wife being Mary Carr, by
whom he had two children now living. His third wife was Ann Smith, and they had
two children now living. Our subject was reared on a farm and educated in the com-
mon schools. He has always been a farmer, and owns 110 acres. He has been high-
way commissioner. He was married twice, first January 17, 1844, to Hannah Peer,
daughter of Thomas Peer, an early settler of Williamson. Mr. Crane and wife had four
children De Witt C, Emily P., Alonzo B., and Mary. Mrs. Crane died in 1875, and
Mr. Crane married Mariana Cogswell, daughter of Giles Cogswell, a native of Rhode
Island and one of the early settlers of Williamson. His wife was Parmelia Sanford.
Mr. Cogswell died in Marion in 1874, aged eighty-four, and his wife in 1864. They
had ten children, of whom six are living : Eliza J. Eggleston, wife of subject and twin
sister Marietta, Richmond P., Almond G, and Marnett H.
Clark, Samuel, of English stock, came to Palmyra and located about 1790, having
three sons: Samuel, jr., who removed to Michigan with his family about 1840; Ben-
190 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
jamin, and Oliver, the latter two buying land together one mile north of East Palmyra.
This farm was afterward divided, Benjamin taking the north and Oliver the south
part. Here Benjamin died, also his daughters, one granddaughter removing to the
West in 1840. Oliver was born February 14, 1767, and died January 21, 1843. He
came from Long Island about 1794, and was a tailor, having a farm just across the
creek from East Palmyra. Of his three sisters who settled and married here, one be-
came the wife of Gabriel Rogers, and later removed to Sodus. She was the mother
of B. R. and James, of Lyons, and Erastus, of Sodus. Another sister married Sol-
omon Franklin, and, after his death, Luther Sandford. The other sister married a Mr.
Soverhill, of Arcadia, and had two sons, Joel and Hiram. Oliver married Sarah
Jessup, of Long Island, who died January 8, 1823. Their children were: Maltby, born
March 31, 1798; Matilda, born June 3, 1800, who died April 2, 1827; Jerry, born Sep-
tember 16, 1802, of Orleans county ; Dennis, born March 21, 1805 ; Nelson, born May
7, 1807; Betsey, born December 5, 1810; Hannah, born February 14, 1812; and Hiram,
born April 29, 1814, died January 11, 1835. The mother of these children died January
8, 1823, and Oliver married, second, Susan Romeyn in 1828, who died in 1857. Maltby,
the oldest of the family, who died in 1875, married Maria Mason, who died in 1822,
and, second, Jerusha Jagger, by whom he had eight children : Henry M., born March
6, 1826 ; Maria M., born January 25, 1829; Abigail J., born November 3, 1831 ; Har-
riet E., born August 8, 1834 ; Nelson, born March 23, 1837 ; Lucius H., born December
8, 1840; Oliver N., born January 31, 1846; and Mary E., born January 28, 1850.
Maltby served in various town offices, was superintendent of the poor nine years, and
was a Republican. Henry M. Clark resided with his parents until the age of twenty-
one, when he married, April 3, 1850, Frances A. Foster, a native of Palmyra, and
their children are : Edwin H., born January 3, 1852, who resides near his father ;
George W., born July 26, 1853, died September 30, 1875 ; Julia F.', born August 14,
1856, who married Edwin F. White. Henry Clark began married life on his grand-
father's farm, remaining four years, then bought fifty-four acres, which he afterwards
sold and bought the place where he now resides. He is a Republican, and has served as
supervisor and member of Assembly, being elected to the latter office in 1874. The
family are Presbyterians, and he has been clerk of the Presbytery of Lyons for twenty-
four successive years.
Converse, Charles, was born in Cayuga connty in 1827, son of Josiah Converse, a native
of Allegany county, whose father was Samuel Converse, a farmer. The father of our
subject was also a farmer. His wife was Betsey Laberrux, and they have seven chil-
dren. At the age of twenty-one our subject went to Michigan, soon after returned
and erected a steam saw mill in Cayuga county and engaged in the manufacture of
lumber. In 1852 he came to Huron, and for some years followed coopering. Since
then he has devoted his time to farming and is a prosperous farmer, owning several
farms and fifty acres of the homestead in which he was born. In 1854 he married
Demorah Schofield, of Onondaga county, and they have one child, Eliza, wife of
Charles Davis, of Huron.
Chapin, Spencer E., was born in Huron in 1845. His father, Harlow, also born in
Huron in 1822, is the son of Spencer Chapin, a native of Massachusetts, whose father
was Phineas Chapin, of Massachusetts, who came to Huron in 1811 with his wife and
six children, and was killed the following year by the fall of a tree. He was the first
man born in Huron. Harlow was a thrifty and successful farmer. His wife was
Fannie Reed, and their children were: Spencer E., Joseph R., Charles E., Frank H.,
Ella L., wife of Rev. Matthew Gafney, of Manlius, Onondaga county ; Edgar W., Har-
low and Fannie (twins). Mr. Chapin began farming when twenty-one years of age.
From 1875 to 1879 he was interested in a barrel and stave factory in Huron. In 1877
he purchased his present farm, and since 1890 has been engaged in the manufacture of
lumber. In 1867 he married Etta L. Persons, born in Berkshire county, Mass., in 1847,
and they have one child, Gertie, wife of George Hatcher, of Huron.
FAMILY SKETCHES. 191
Church, William 0., is the only son of the late Hiram Church, who was a pioneer of
Wolcott, a successful business man, of liberal views and wide information. He came
from Massachusetts to Wolcott when two years of age with his father, Osgood Church
who was the first supervisor of Wolcott. He died in 1889, at the age of eighty-four
years. He was born February 22, 1847. William 0. Church graduated from Falley
Seminary in 1865, and two years later entered into partnership with his father. He
was for many years a prime mover in the large mercantile interests of Wolcott, but is
now retired from active business. He married in 1867 Sarah E., daughter of Professor
Bragdon, of Lima. N. Y., and their only child, Belle B., born February 16, 1876, died
in infancy. •
Catchpole, James, was born in England in March, 1825, the son of James and Susan
Catchpole, who came to America in 1835. Their children are : Mrs. Susan Smith, of
Geneva; Mrs. Ann Thomas, of Geneva; Jerimia Smith, of Huron; Benjamin, Mary
Ann, Robert, and Matilda. In 1844 they came to Huron and settled on the farm now
owned by our subject. Mr. Catchpole was at an early date in partnership with his
brothers, Benjamin and Robert, and John Smith engaged extensively in the manufac-
ture of lumber. They built the lake boats called Charger and Catchpole, and they also
built a storehouse in North Rose, and dealt in produce for many years. For several
years our subject has devoted his attention to farming on the homestead of 118 acres,
where he now resides with his sisters, Mary Ann. and Matilda.
Curtis, Omar M., was born May 9, 1867, son of the well known veteran soldier and
merchant, George B. Curtis. He was educated at Albany, and upon reaching his
majority, took charge of the foundry and machine shop, known as the Curtis Deoxy-
dized Plow Works, manufacturers and dealers in agricultural implements, probably
the largest and oldest firm in the country in this line. This firm makes a specialty of
Land Rollers, and of the Giant Fruit Dryer, possessing characteristic and unique points
of merit, largely due to the inventive genius and business energy of Omar M. Curtis.
Carrier, Amaziah T., son of Amaziah and Wealthy Carrier, was born in Brutus,
Cayuga county. One of a family of five children, deprived of a father's care while a
mere boy — he early learned the lessons of patient toil and economy, and developed
those sterling qualities of character, which gave him in future years the esteem of all
who knew him. He married in 1831 Lois J. Bottum, of Conquest, Cayuga county, N.
Y. Their early married life was spent in the near vicinity, till in 1844 he purchased a
farm in Rose, one mile east of the present village of North Rose. There for twenty
years, he, his wife and a family of five children, assimilated themselves into the life of
the community around them. Members of the Methodist Church their home became
the half-way house of the itinerating clergy, and the center of the social life around
them. In November, 1859, the first sorrow overshadowed the home, in the death of the
eldest daughter, Mary, a beautiful girl of nineteen years. Then came to the sixties,
those years that covered our whole broad land with blood and tears — and when as of
old it might be said "there was not a house where there was not one dead." The old-
est son, William Seward, caught the patriotic fire, and seeing only his country's danger,
turned his back upon his school life at Lima Seminary, without title or bounty, and
marched southward with the 10th Regiment N. Y. Vol. Cavalry, Company E. The
rigors of camp life proved too severe for the student, and August 3, 1862, at the hos-
pital in Baltimore his brave young life went out. aged twenty-four years — only one of
the numberless thousands who "counted not his life dear unto himself." The second
son, Elbert, a practicing physician in Syracuse, died August 3, 1870, aged twenty-eight
years. In 1864 Mr. Carrier exchanged his property in Rose for a home in Wolcott.
Failing health caused him to retire from active labor, and June 15, 1872, he passed
away. Mrs. Carrier still occupies the home in Wolcott. Two daughters are living —
Ellen J., wife of George Aldrich, North Rose, with one son, J. Clarence ; and Lettie,
192 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY
wife of Rev. B. A. Partridge, member of Central N. Y. M. E. Conference, and their
only daughter Ethlyn.
Cuyler, John H., was born in Orleans county, in 1826. His father, Abram, a promi-
nent man of affairs in his day, settled here in 1833. Our subject has been identified
with various industries in this locality in early years; was the first producer of barrel
staves in Wolcott, but since 1854 has devoted himself to farming and has for a quarter
of a century occupied a house on a farm of 150 acres. March 16, 1854, he married
Cordelia, daughter of Nelson De Vinney, a merchant of Newark. They have three
children, Ella, Nelson and Id^i. Ella has been a teacher since the age of seventeen, and
it is due to her efforts as orignator and promoter of the idea that the excellent library
at District No. 3 must be ascribed. The library is conducted upon a sound business
basis, and its value as an educational factor is thereby enhanced and prolonged.
Founded in 1888, it consists at present of nearly one hundaed volumes of educational
and historical works.
Cosad, Samuel, the popular and efficient commissioner of schools in the first district
of Wayne county, was born December 24, 1855, in the town of Junius, Seneca county.
His father was James M. Cosad, who was born in Somerset county, N. J., in 1810, and
who removed with h's parents to Seneca county in 1819. He married first Elizabetn
Stout, and had two children : Cassie Robinson, and George Combe. He married sec-
ond, Catharine Stout, born in Arcadia in 1818, a sister of his first wife, and had two
children, Frank and Samuel. James M., who was a farmer, removed from Junius to
Huron in 1856, where he resided till his death, August 15, 1893. He was a very suc-
cessful business man and accumulated a large property, consisting of about 600 acres
of valuable lands, which, before his death, he divided among his three surviving chil-
dren. Samuel received such an education as was obtainable in the common schools,
supplemented by two years attendance at Leavenworth Institute, Wolcott, and was one
year at Sodus Academy, after which he spent three years in teaching and then entered
upon the study of law with Senator Thomas Robinson at Clyde, N. Y. These studies
were continued for two years, and were then interrupted by the necessity of aiding his
father in the management of his farms. He early took an active part in politics, being
a Republican, and when but twenty-two was made town clerk of Huron, to which po-
sition he was thrice elected. In 1886 he was chosen supervisor, and for seven years
represented the town of Huron in the County Legislature. In 1892-93 he was chair-
man of that body. His advocacy of economical and reformatory measures made him
an especial favorite with his constituency, and in the fall of 1893 was elected school
commissioner of the first district of Wayne county. In 1888 he married Ida E. Smith
of Galen, by whom he had one daughter, Lillian, born January 22, 1893. Mr. Cosad is
at present residing in the village of Wolcott to which place he removed in the spring
of 1894 that he might devote his whole time to the discharge of his duties as commis-
sioner of schools. And while at present a resident of that village, his whole life has
been so closely identified with the town of Huron and its interests that it is proper that
his biography should appear among the citizens of that town.
Van Duzer, Z. A., was born in the town of Macedon, April 25, 1833. Caleb Van
Duzer, father of the above, was born in Orange county, N. Y., in 1800. He came to
the town of Macedon when four years of age, settling one-half mile east of Macedon
Centre, where he engaged in farming and speculating. He married Lydia Maloney,
aud of this marriage were born five children, the youngest being Z. A. Van Duzer.
Z. A. Van Duzer has been engaged in farming all his life and has acquired a large
amount of valuable property. In connection with his farm he also has a fine dairy bus-
iness. He is a member of the Baptist Church and of the Masonic fraternity, Macedon
Lodge, No. 665. In politics he is a Republican.
Vought, Nicholas, wholesale and retail dealer in coal, lime, fertilizers, picket and
FAMILY SKETCHES. L93
wire fences, at Wolcott, with office and storehouse near the R. W. & 0. R. R. depot,
is the second son of David and Maria (Apham) Vought, of Huron, where he was born
in 1848. Mrs. Maria Vought still lives upon the old homestead farm in Huron, which
is operated by the oldest son, A. U. Vought. Nicholas Vought spent his early years in
Huron, chiefly engaged in farming, and acquired his present business by purchase from
David De Mell in 1891. His wife, Emma L., is a daughter of Hugh Green, of Wolcott.
They were married January 23, 1873, and have one daughter, Ina L. Mr. Vought is
commander of Wolcott Lodge, Knights of S., F, and I.
Van Der Veer, H. E., was born in Montgomery county, N. Y., April 27, 1843, the
only child of G. Van Der Veer and M. Allen, the former born May 9, 1813, and the
latter June 24, 1814. The grandfather of our subject was Garret Van Der Veer, a
native of New Jersey, born' in 1765. The family is of Holland descent, and date their
ancestry to the coming ' of Cornelius J. Van Der Veer to America from Holland (Alk-
marr) in 1659. Garret married Rachael Covenhoven, a native of Monmouth county,
N. J., on whose father's farm the battle of Monmouth was fought. The grandparents
came to Montgomery county, where they lived and died. The father of our subject
came to Wayne county in 1848, and settled at Marion, where the mother died, Decem-
ber 1, 1890. Mr. Van Der Veer has devoted much of his time to the manufacture of
machines for packing apples, and also kept hotel at Marion five years. He has always been
a Democrat, a temperance man, and a prominent anti-slavery advocate before the war.
H. E. Van Der Veer was reared in the village of Marion, where he was educated in the
Colgate Institute. At the age of fifteen he began as clerk for F. & J. B. Reeves, which
he followed in that place and Palmyra, and was also in the Commissary Department in
Indian Territory, at Fort Gibson, and was also in Kansas. In 1866 he came to Marion
and engaged in the drug trade and in 1873 came to Ontario village, where he has since
conducted a successful business in that line. He is a Democrat, and was appointed
postmaster in 1893. He is a member of Wayne Lodge No. 416 F. & A. M., and the
K. 0. T. M., in both of which he holds positions of honor. February 22, 1870, he mar-
ried Annette L. Pratt, of Williamson, born April 15, 1841, daughter of Jonathan and
Clarissa (Jennings) Pratt, of Whatiey, Mass., and Burlington, N. Y., respectively, who
had fourteen children, six of whom grew to maturity. Mr. Pratt and wife settled in
Williamson in 1811, where he became one of the wealthiest farmers of the town. His
oldest child, Aaron W., shipped with the first whaler in the northern seas. Another
son was Capt. William W., a whaler and merchantman for forty years.
Van Vleck, Lawrence, was born in Schuyler, Herkimer county, March 17, 1817, and
has for forty-two years been a continued resident of the town of Butler, having settled
first in Savannah in 1842, and in 1852, removed to Butler. His parents, Merinus and
Icy Van Vleck, reared a family of ten children in Herkimer county, of whom he is the
third son. He married, September 21, 1839, Prudy A., daughter of John and Susan
Hughes, of Schuyler, Herkimer county, who has been his faithful companion for more
than half a century, and by whom he had eleven children, of whom all are living but
the older, Louise, who died during their residence in Savannah, December 18, 1850 : Curtis
E., Cady L., Susan L., the wife of Alfred Bullock, of Red Creek; Merinus, Harry D.,
Francis, Emma, now Mrs. N. Pierce, of Grariby, N. Y., Ernest, Lawrence, and Allen.
The family group is one of which their parents are justly proud, and upon whom no
stigma has ever befallen.
Upham, H. M., whose paternal lineage may be traced to the earliest known settle-
ment of Butler, was born February 25, 1863, on the place which was the home of his
grandfather, and which was also the birthplace and life-long home of his father, Ebe-
nezer Upham, who was hale and hearty at seventy-five years of age, and is the father
of four children, of whom Merton is the elder. His wife, Marie, a sister of Jeremiah
Lebring, of Wolcott, died January 5, 1894, aged sixty-nine years. Merton was edu-
194 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
cated at Red Creek Academy, and is a young man of much ability and character, and
greatly esteemed by all who know him. His wife is Delia, daughter of Robert O'Brien
Vantassel, Elmer, of Butler, is the son of the late James Vantassel, who came here
from Conquest, Cayuga county, in 1862. His wife, who is Ellen Brown, survives him.
She is nearly seventy years of age, and of four children none are living except the
subject of this sketch, who is the eldest of her children. He was born during their
residence at Conquest June 8, 1849. December 15, 1873, he married Lucinda Burgh-
dorf, daughter of John Burghdorf, of Victory, and their children are : Dewayne, born
August 1, 1881, and Charlie, born February 28, 1873.
Van Lare, Jacob, born in Holland in 1832, was a son of Jacob and Zina Van Lare,
natives of Holland, who came to Marion and he died in Sodus in 1859, and his wife
resides at East Williamson. Jacob came to Marion in 1854 and bought the farm now
owned by the family of 100 acres, and put up good buildings. He married in Wayne