county Frances De King, a native of Holland, by whom he had eight children : Adrian,
Zina, Abram, Annie, Maggie, William, David, and James. By his first wife, Lizzie Van
Lare, he had five children : John, Jacob, Josiah, Isaac, and Peter. The family are mem-
bers of the Dutch Reformed church. Mr. Van Lare died November 5, 1891.
Vosburgh, John (deceased), was born in Copake, Columbia county, December 29,
1807, and came to Wayne county in 1837. He married Christiana, daughter of Tunis
Race, of Ancram, Columbia county, and they have seven children : Cornelius, Tunis,
John, Lee, Mrs. Clarinda Winegar, and Anna, and Mrs. Ella Miles. The family are
now living on the Vosburgh homestead of 147 acres, which was settled by John Vos-
burgh, having resided there fifty-seven years. He came from Columbia county with a
sleigh. He raises large amounts of fruit, hay, grain, and stock. Our subject was among
the early settlers of Wayne county, and the family were prominent in Columbia
county. He died in 1891 aged eighty-four.
Van Holde, John, born in Holland September 3, 1827, is the fifth of fourteen children
of John and Sarah Van Holde, natives of Holland, who came to Marion in 1855, where
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
Mr. Van Holde died in 1857, and his wife in 1860. Subject was reared on a farm and
educated in the common schools. He came to Williamson in 1853, where, with the
exception of thirteen years in Marion, he has resided. He owns forty-nine acres of
land, and follows general farming. He married, in 1853, Tannetje Rosencrantz, a native
of Holland, by whom he has had three children: John, Jacob, and William. Two died
in infancy. Mr. Van Holde was assessor nine years, and he and family are members
of the Reformed church.
Tassell, Frank W., was born in Williamson August 31, 1853. He is the fifth of six
children of Lewis and Harriet Tassell, natives of England, and who came to William-
son in 1340, and here lived the remainder of their days. Mr. Tassell died in 1880, and
his wife now resides in Williamson. Our subject finished his education in Marion
College, and is a carpenter by trade. He followed farming until 1885, beginning the
produce business then, and in 1888 formed a partnership witn Mr. H. J. Bradley, which
firm has since continued. Mr. Tassell is a member of the Pultneyville Lodge No. 159,
F. &A. M. In 1876 he married Phoebe M. Wood, a native of Sodus, and they have
three children : Otis L., Willis G., Stanley, who died in 1886.
Thomas, Philip, was born in the town of Ledyard, Cayuga county, May 29, 1825, son
of Alexander Thomas, a miller. His wife was Ruth Hart, and their children were :
Isaac H., Alexander, William George, Abram, and Philip. When twenty-one our sub-
ject began farming, and in 1846 came to Huron, and in September, 1864, enlisted in
Company A, 9th Heavy Artillery, was taken sick and spent most of his time in the
FAMILY SKETCH ES. 1!).-.
hospital. He contracted ailments from which he never fully recovered. In 1865 he
purchased his present farm in lot 38, and in 1846 he was married to Charlotte, daugh-
ter of Richard Morey, of Rose. Their children are : George, Eliza, wife of William
Snyder, of Huron : Gene, wife of Josiah Cartwright, of Michigan ; Lottie, widow of
Frank Dago ; Charles, E., deceased ; and Edward. Our subject is an honored member
of the G. A. R., Keeslar Post No. 55, and a Republican.
Terbush William Spencer, was born in Junius, Seneca county, April 26, 1851, son of
John Terbush, who came to Huron in 1859. His wife was Eunice Jane Weeks, and
their children were Emma Jane, William S., and George W. His second wife was
Adelia Abbott, and their children were: Franklin, Lura, Clara and Adelina ; and his
third wife was Frances M. Chase, by whom he had one child, Wesley. Our subject be-
gan for himself when nineteen years of age, conducting his father's farm. Later years
he was interested in dealing in live stock, and since 1892 has worked at the carpenter
trade. His wife is Ordice Streeter of Pinkey, daughter of David Streeter. and their
children are : Eunice Jane and Earl S. Subject is an Odd Fellow.
Townsend, Hammond (deceased), was born in Lyons January 1, 1847. His father.
Asa, bought a farm lying southeast of Lyons, which has been in the family for sixty
years. Hammond was educated in the common schools to which he added through
life by reading and close observation. He afterward returned to his father's farm
(which he inherited in 1880) of seventy acres, raising hay, grain and stock. At the age
of twenty-one he married Ariah, daughter of Henry W. Leach, and they are the par-
ents of two children : Mehan L. and Mrs. Lizzie G. Mehan. Our subject through life
was identified in advancing the best interests of his town.
Teller, Daniel V., was born in Lyons July 14, 1830. His father, William A., was a
native of Schenectady, came to Lyons in 1825. He married Hannah, oldest daughter
of Daniel Van Etten, who was among the first settlers and one of the representative
farmers in the town. Daniel was educated in the common schools, finished at the Ly-
ons Union School, to which he has added through life by reading and close observa-
tion. After leaving school he returned to his father's farm in 1835, and bought the
John B. Shaver business, which he followed eight years. In 1863 he established him-
self in the produce, nursery stock, and agricultural implements business, which has con-
tinued twenty years, up to 1883, and was then appointed superintendent of section 8 of
the Erie Canal, holding the position eight years and was then tendered the position
of special agent of the Erie Canal, which he held for two and one-half years. In No-
vember, 1893, he was appointed postmaster at Lyons by President Cleveland. At
the age of twenty-four he married Mary E., daughter of Daniel Morey of Lyons, and
they are the parents of three sons, two of whom, Arthur D., and Dexter M., are now
living. Charles W. died in his twenty-seventh year. Subject is a Democrat in poli-
tics, also takes an active interest in educational and religious matters.
Tyler, Henry, of Butler, was born October 3, 1845. His parents, James and Mary
A. Tyler, came here from Summit, N. Y., shortly before his birth, and have been suc-
cessful, not only in their chosen vocation on' the farm, but in well ordered and blameless
lives. He married Libbie, daughter of Stephen Fink of Victory, Cayuga county,
December 24, 1872, and their children are Grace E., Howard C, and Nellie.
Thorn, Thomas P., was born at Ely's Corners, Seneca county, August 24, 1820. His
father, Joel, was a native of New Jersey and came to Wayne county in 1821. He mar-
ried Rachel Hobrough of English birth. He was a prominent farmer in his time and
died in 1867, aged eighty years. Thomas P. laid the foundation of his education in
the log school of his district. At the age of thirty he married Mary, daughter of Sam-
uel S. Briggs, and they have these children : Phineas R. and Seward T. In 1858 he
came to Clyde and engaged in the distillery business remaining up to 1865, and in'1866
196 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
bought the Henry Stevens malt house, to which he added and rebuilt in 1869, and is
still engaged in the business, having a capacity of 70,000 bushels. Our subject was
supervisor of the town, and takes an an active interest in educational and religious
Tobin, William M., was born in Jordan, October 9, 1855. His father, Michael, was a
native of Kilkenny, Ireland, and came to Quebec in 1839, then to Clyde in the spring of
1856, and was a cooper by trade. He died in 1887, aged seventy- five years. William
Tobin was educated in the common schools, to which he has added through life by reading
and close observation. At the age of thirty-one he married Catherine, daughter of John
O'Brien, of Seneca Falls, N. Y., and they have had six children, three of whom are now
living : John M., Louise, and Marie E. Our subject was trustee of the village three
years. He is now engaged in the livery business, which he established in 1880, also in the
coal business, handling 3,500 tons of coal in 1893.
Traver, Henry, was born near Clifton Springs June 3, 1832. His father, Daniel, was a
native of Columbia county, and lived to be eighty-five years of age. Henry was educated
in the common schools, to which he has added through life by reading and close observa-
tion. In 1831 his father bought the Nathan Chase property of 110 acres, and in 1887
bought the Michael Beadle property at Marengo of seventeen acres, raising fruit, hay,
grain and stock. Our subject is a liberal supporter of all charitable enterprises.
Tassell, Charles L., born in Williamson, November 25, 1844, is the third of a family of
six children of Lewis and Harriet Tassell. He was educated in the common schools of
Williamson, followed farming eight years, and then came to Marion in 1874 and engaged
in buying and selling stock and produce. He also has an interest in the Wayne County
Canning Company, is one of the directors and holds the office of treasurer. Mr. Tassell
has been overseer of the poor, now serving his twelfth year. He is a member of the John
B. Burred Post No. 444, Department of New York, and of the A. O. U. W. of Marion.
Mr. Tassell enlisted March 4, 1864, in Co. A, 111th Yol. Inf., and served over one year.
He was in the battles of the Wilderness and Cold Harbor and was taken sick in the battle
of Petersburg. He married January 18, 1866, Hannah Field a native of Orleans county,
born in 1841, and daughter of Henry acd Elizabeth (Clark) Field. The father died in
Williamson in June, 1893, and the wife resides in Williamson. Mr Tassell is also serving
his third year as quartermaster of the Wayne County Soldiers' and Sailors' Association.
Tabor, Charles R., is the son of Lewis Tabor, of Sterling, and known as one of the
most successful farmers of this locality. Born May 20, 1868, his boyhood passed with-
out special note, except that he acquired habits of industry and frugality. He married
March 12, 1890, Sarah, oldest daughter of C. W. Eddy, and has purchased a farm of one
hundred acres at this place, where he bids fair to acquire a competence before middle
age. They have one son, Eddy, born April 26, 1892.
Taylor, Henry G-., is the son of Garrison Taylor, of Seneca Falls, a well-known mer-
chant now eighty-six years old, and retired from active life, and surviving his wife, Jane
(George), whose ancestors were English, and who died in 1883. Henry was born at
Seneca Falls, February 19, 1845, acquiring an academic education, and when eighteen
years of age going to Elkhorn, Wis., where he spent three years at bookkeeping for a
dry-goods house. After returning to his native place, he spent several years as a teacher,
since when farming has been his chosen vocation. December 28, 1870 he married Sarah
C, daughter of George R. and Betsey A. Van Fleet, of Wolcott, the former of whom
died March 6, 1883, at the age of sixty-two, and the latter, now sixty-four years of age
lives with a son at Fairhaven. Mr. Taylor has two lovely children : Laura, born Feb-
ruary 10, 1881, and Olive L., born March 6, 1890. The genealogical tree of this family
is one of great antiquity and interest and Mr. Taylor is a contributor of historical data
for the volume.
FAMILY SKETCHES. 197
Slaght, George Ambrose, was born in Huron October 12, 1833, son of Simeon, who
was born in 1800. He was a son of Jeremiah Slaght, of Pennsylvania, who came to
Huron in 1818. Simeon was the fifth of seven children. At eighteen he purchased a
farm of 100 acres, which he cleared. His wife was Sally Bissell, and their children
were: Azel, Laura, George A., and Martha. At the age of twenty subject purchased
the farm where he now lives. Besides this he owns other farms amounting to 300
acres. In 1853 he married Charlotte, daughter of Samuel and Camilla (Hyde) Cantrell,
of Huron. Camilla Hyde was the daughter of John Hyde, and the first white child
born in the town of Huron. Mr. and Mrs. Slaght have three children : Carrie, wife of
Lorin Parsons of Huron; Ida, wife of Fred Blauvelt; and Charles A. They are mem-
bers of the Wolcott Grange, P. of H., No. 348, of which our subject is worthy master.
In politics he is a Republican, has served as commissioner of highways, assessor, and
justice of the peace.
Servoss, E, B., was born in Fonda, Montgomery county, December 10, 1838. His
occupation has been that of farming, and he, now owns a farm of eighty acres. In 1850
he settled in she town of Macedon, and through his own efforts acquired his present
property. In 1867 he married Elizabeth Allyn, daughter of Russell Allyn, of Macedon.
They have no children. Mr. Servoss is a Republican and has filled several town offices.
Spencer, Andrew, of Butler, a citizen of more than ordinary mental attainment, has
been three times chosen to represent his town in the County Legislature, was for two
years inspector of schools, and has filled many minor positions of trust. Born in Huron
in 1824, his early manhood was spent in school teaching. His parents were Elihu and
Jemima (Upton) Spencer. Elihu settled in Huron in 1811, and for many years operated
a grist mill, the first one built in that town, In 1853, Andrew married Maria Soule,
daughter of Rowland Soule, the well known M. E. Evangelist. They had three daugh-
ters : Hattie, Lucile, and Flora, all deceased.
Shepard, John, was born in Petershead, Scotland, in April, 1869. He is the eldest
son of John and Mary (McRea) Shepard, both natives of Scotland. John, father of
our subject, still resides in Scotland and carries on a tailoring business near Peters-
head. His wife died in 1882, and in June, 1886 he made a visit to his son, John, in
Williamson, with whom he remained three months, and then returned to Scotland.
John Shepard, subject of this sketch, came to Canada in 1869, to Williamson in 1875
and bought the farm of 104 a^res he now owns, of which he has cleared over fifty
acres. Mr. Shepard received his education in Scotland, and has followed farming
through life. In the spring of 1875 he married Ellen Rennie, born in Scotland Febru-
ary 22, 1859, and daughter of William and Margaret (Mitchell) Rennie, both natives of
Scotland, who came to America in 1874 and settled in Canada on a farm. Mrs. Rennie
died in 1881. He still lives in Canada at the age of seventy-four. Mr. and Mrs.
Shepard have had three sons and two daughters: Mary, Thomas, John, Clara, and
Swift, Elisha T., born July 17, 1818, is the second of a family of four sons and four
daughters of A. and Elizabeth Swift, pioneers of Williamson, coming there from the
eastern part of the State. They went to Michigan, leaving Elisha T. with Mr. Smith,
of Marion, with whom he remained till of age. He commenced business for himself
in saw mill and manufacturing and selling pumps. He then engaged in the cooper's
business at Walworth, exchanged this business for a farm in Walworth, and traded that
farm for the farm in Williamson, where he now resides. Here he was also engaged in
the lumber business a few years. He has made nearly all of the improvements on the
farm. Mr. Swift has been three times married, first to Catherine Vandeshearse, and
after her death to Martha Wake, who dfed in 1874, and by whom he had one son and
three daughters, two now deceased, Emma and Jennie, He married, third, Maria S.
(Evans) Harding, daughter of Luther and Elizabeth (Howland) Evans, natives of
198 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY
Massachusetts, who went to Michigan in 185G, where he died in July, 1844, and his
wife in 1850. Mrs. Swift came to Williamson at the age of fourteen years. She mar-
ried, first, John Harding, by whom she has one son. Fred, a farmer in Nebraska. Mr.
Harding died in 1866 and she married Mr. Swift, by whom she has one daughter, Lizzie
D. Mr. Smith has for some time been disabled by paralysis, and Mrs. Swift now has
charge of the farm. They have 103 acres, and are engaged in general farming and
fruit raising. They attend and support the M. E. church.
Shippers, Abram, born in Holland November 14. 1862, is the oldest of five children
of Abram and Mary (Lalone) Shippers, natives of Holland. He was a farmer in Hol-
land, and died October 17, 1877. The mother came to America in 1879, bringing the
family of five children and settling on a farm in Marion, where she died June 1, 1885.
Abram was reared on a farm, and attended school in Holland and Marion. He com-
menced work as a farmer and is also a carpenter by trade, which he follows part of the
time. He bought the farm in 1886, and carries on a general fruit business. The family
are members of the Reformed Church. He is a member of Security Tent at Marion K.
0. T. M. No. 137.
Sprague, John, of Butler, who traces his paternal lineage back to the famous Sprague
family of Rhode Island, 'was born in Butler, January 22, 1835. David and Violetta
Sprague, his parents settled in Butler about seventy years ago, and their numerous
descendants are to-day representatives of the best agricultural class of the town.
David Sprague had two wives, and was the father of fifteen children. He died July
11, 1874. at eighty-nine years of age. Violetta Sprague, the mother of six of his chil-
dren, is now living, and is eighty-two years old. John received his]early education at
the famous old Academy at Red Creek, and his mature years have been devoted to
farming, with a full measure of success. His wife, Martha, is a daughter of the late
John Acken, of Butler. One daughter, Martha, was born to them. She died at the
age of twenty-four years.
Shephard, Harvey, was born on the homestead October 11, 1848. His father, Harry,
was a uative of St. Albans, Vt., and came to Wayne county in 1817. settling on lot 21
where his descendants now reside. He married Harriet, daughter of William Gordon,
by whom he had five children : Albert, Silas, Harvey, Minerva, and Louisa. Harvey
was educated in the common schools, to which he had added through life by reading
and close observation. In 1867 he inherited part of the well known Shephard estate of
300 acres, raising fruit, hay, grain, and stock ; making a specialty of milk dairying,
producing'from 150 to 200 quarts per day. Our subject is one of the largest farmers in
the town, was elected road commissioner from 1887 to 1893, and takes an intelligent
interest in educational and religious matters.
Southard, Henry, was born in Somerset county, N. J., May 15, 1829, son of Israel
R., who came to Wayne county in 1827. He married Elizabeth Whitman, and in 1842
bought the Levi Hendrick property where his son now resides. He died iu 1860, aged
fifty-seven. Henry Southard laid the foundation of his education in the log school
house, after which he returned to his father's farm. At the age of twenty-five he mar-
ried Lottie, daughter of Abram Myers, by whom he has three children ; Raymond L.,
Sadie E., and Luella May. In 1861 he inherited and purchased his father's estate, in
1866 purchased the John Reynolds property, and in 1870 purchased the Daniel
McDonald farm. He has 275 acres and raises fruit, hay, grain and stock. Our subject
is one of the representative farmers of his town, was elected assessor in 1877-78-79,
and takes an intelligent interest in all educational and religious matters.
Sweezy, Smith, born in Marion March 8, 1829, is the oldest of seven children of
Stephen and Fannie (Reeves) Sweezy, natives of Palmyra. Stephen was the oldest son
of Isaac Sweezy, who came to East Palmyra in 1799 and settled on a portion of the
FAMILY SKETCHES. I!)!)
Long Island purchase. The father of subject was reared on the Long Island purchase,
where he died in 1861, and his wife in July, 1882. Smith Sweezy was reared on the
farm, and came to Marion in 1865. In 1855 he married Mary Danforth, of Sodus, by
whom he had two sons, Frank, who died in 1876, aged nineteen. He was a graduate
of Commercial College of Rochester; and H. B., who is a clerk in New Haven, Conn.
The mother died July 16, 1881, and Mr. Sweezy married Malissa, daughter of William
G-riswold, of Rose. He has 150 acres of land, and carries on general farming and fruit
growing. He is a member of Marion Grange.
Sloan, Charles A., was born in the town of Galen, May 19, 1848. His father, Prosper
Sloan, was a farmer and cooper of that town and died in March, 1891, at seventy-six
years of age. Charles A. Sloan is a self-made and a self-educated man. He learned
the carpenter's trade, and after five years spent in Michigan he came to this town and
gave his attention to farming. In 1887 he entered the employ of R. J. Rogers & Co.,
and in 1891, in company with George W. Sloan, purchased the business and now carries
one of the largest stocks of pine and hemlock lumber, shingles, slat and wire fencing
in the county. Mr. Sloan married Miss Amy J. Field, daughter of Byron Field, and
they are the parents of four children : Walter, Willard, Charles, and Frances J.
Simmons, Henry B., was born in Utica August 13, 1852. His father, Duane L.,
marble dealer in that town, was a native of Rochester. He died in 1887 at sixty-two
years of age. Henry E. was educated in Utica, after which he entered into business
with his father, continuing until 1883. He then came to Clyde and entered the employ
of W. N. Fields, and in 1892 established his present business of furniture and undertak-
ing, using the latest and mort improved methods of embalming, and carrying a selected
stock of fine furniture. At the age of twenty-seven he married Lois A. Brewster, of
Clyde, and they are the parents of one daughter, Mabel. Our subject takes an active
interest in educational and religious matters.
Stock, John, was born in Hesse Darmstadt, Hoffmansfield, January 22, 1838. His
father came to the United States in 1861, only living two years. He settled in Balti-
more", Md. John Stock, jr., came to the United States in 1868 and settled in Lyons,
remaining until 1872, when he came to Clyde and entered the employ of F. Stoetzel|
and in 1874, in connection with Henry Lanster, established the market under the firm
name of Lanster & Co., dealers in fish and salt meats. In 1886 Mr. Lanster retired,
and subject bought his interest and still continues the business. He is the leading
dealer in his business, and was elected trustee in 1890.
Streeter, S. D., was born in Berlin, Rensselaer county, N. Y., October 22, 1827. His
father, Williard Streeter, was a native of Berlin, and the family settled in Charleston,
Mass., in 1684. Williard Streeter died in 1841 at the age of forty-six. S. D. Streeter
laid the foundation of his education in the common schools, and in 1852 went to Cali-
fornia and engaged in the mercantile business, remaining there six years. In 1861 he
came back to Clyde, and engaged in the distilling business with Briggs & Thorn, closing
out in 1864. Since that time he has been engaged in the malting and grain business.
At the age of thirty-four he married Mrs. P. J. Casey, daughter of Royal Lilli bridge.
Our subject has served as supervisor of his town for several years.
See, Andrew, born in Arcadia, N.Y., February 7, 1830, is he second child of Abram
and Cyttie A. Turner, he a native of Schenectady, born in 1802, and at the age of
twenty-one came to Arcadia, and finally came to Marion and bought the farm now
owned by subject. He died in 1882, and his wife in 1868. Subject was educated in
the common schools. He married, March 7, 1862, Mary E. Lovejoy, a native of
Elbridge, N. Y., and daughter of William Lovejoy, who came to Marion about 1840,
where he lived and died May 22, 1891, and his wife February 17, 1893. Mr. See and
wife have had two children : Charles who died in infancy, and Clarence William, born
200 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
February 19, 18G5, educated in the common schools, is a farmer and resides at home.
Mr. See owns fifty-eight and one-half acres of land, and follows general farming. Mr.
Lovejoy was born in 1811 in Williamstown, Oswego county. His wife was Mary L.
Hinds, a native of Manlius, Onondaga county. They had seven children, of whom
five are living. Mr. Lovejoy is a member of the Christian church.
Scott, Mathew B., was born in Ireland in 1850. He was the fourth child of John
and Mary Scott, natives of Ireland, where the father died and the mother now resides.
Mathew B. was reared on a farm and educated in the public schools of his native
land. He came to Macedon, and December 10, 1871, came to Ontario, since which
time he has purchased 125 acres of land, and follows general farming. In politics he
is a Democrat, and has been assessor six years in a Republican town. In 1875 he mar-
ried Mary Kelley, by whom he had five children : John, James. George, Mary, and
Margaret. His first wife died, and he married, second, Maggie Regan, by whom he had