two children : Sarah and Thomas.
Smoulton, John, a native of England, came to America at the age of twenty, in 1830
or 1830 or 1831, first settling in Montreal, Canada, and then in Hydesville, later going
to Williamson, where he remained on a farm until his decease, in 1879. His first wife,
Louisa, died in. 1845. She was a daughter of James Walton, of Palmyra, and by her he
had these children : Charles H., who resides on the homestead in Williamson ; James
E. ; Louisa A.; Mr. Smoulton married second Mrs. Ann Curtis, nee Culliver, of one of
the original families of Pultneyville. She died in Williamson in 1880. James E.
Smoulton was born June 19, 1842, was reared in Williamson, and in 18G2 came to Pal-
myra, where he married in 1867 Henrietta Burchard, and located on his grandfather's
farm, which he had been conducting since 1863. In 1880 he bought the place, where
he has since resided. Mr. and Mrs. Smoulton have had these children : Mary L., now
the wife of Otis Bird, of Manchester; and William J., who reside at home. James
Walton was a native of England, who came to America and bought a tract of 100 acres
of Willard Pullman, on which he settled.
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
Smith, John Sled, was born in Middletown, Delaware county, February 15, 1821, and
is the son of Elkana'h Smith, born in Fishkill, in 1789. His wife was Amanda, daughter
of John Sled, of Connecticut, and their children were: Clarinda (Cole), Lucretia (Cole),
Jane (St. John), Jacob, Harrison, Lucinda (Becker), John S., Morgan L., Rhoda, Ada-
line and Samuel. He died in March, 1880, aged ninety-one years. Our subject's prin-
cipal vocation has been farming. In 1841 he with his father and brothers came to Huron
and purchased the farm on which he now resides, and soon entered into partnership
with Catchpole Bros., engaging extensively in the manufacture of lumber. They built
one lake vessel and a large storehouse at Sodus Bay, dealing largely in produce. In
April, 1848, he married Jemima, daughter of James Catchpole, of Huron, and they have
five children : William O, born 1852 ; Margaret E., 1855; James E., and Edgar, 1858;
and Nora M., 1860, now the wife of Fred Kelsey, of Galen. Mr. Smith is a Republican.
He has placed the homestead in the possession of his two sons, William 0. and Edgar J.,
who are interested in berry culture, also in apples, and the evaporating business. William
3., married Jennie Post, of Rose, and they have these children : Harold E., 1882
Walter H, 1885;- Ralph L, 1890; and Bertha O., 1892.
Shuler, George H, was born in the town of Arcadia February 15, 1846. His father,
George, came from Alsace, Germany, in 1835. He married Magdalena Erhardt who
was among the first German settlers in Wayne county, and for one summer camped out
on the court house and jail ground and then bought a farm in Arcadia. George H. was
educated in the common schools and is a self educated and self made man. Was reared
a farmer and remained on the farm until twenty-four years of age, and then came to
Lyons and bought the Hiram Miniah mill property, which was burned in the spring of
1871, and which he rebuilt the same year and was again burned m 1886, having bought
FAMILY SKETCHES. '.'ill
the Miles S. Leaeh milling property in 1875 for a custom mill He transferred his whole
business to that site where he is now established. At the age of twenty-four he married
Frances, daughter of Zachariah Avery, of Arcadia, and they have two children: Maude
L., and Clarence, who died in August, 1889, aged twelve years ; a boy of brilliant promise
and character. Our subject is a very active business man, but finds time to take an
interest in educational and religious matters, having been for three years trustee of the
Presbyterian church, of Lyons. He is identified with advancing the best interests of
his town, and recognized as a man of high character and sterling worth.
Stephan Brothers. — This firm is composed of Edward P. and Harry A. Stephan.
Their father, George, came from Germany and settled in Lyons and was a wagonmaker
by trade. The sons, Edward and Harry, were educated in the Lyons Union School.
Edward on leaving entered the employ of E. B. Price & Son in the grocery business,
and was with the firm ten years. After the death of E. B. Price his son continued the busi-
ness, carrying a large line of fine groceries, wooden ware, and making a specialty of
choice teas and coffees. Our subjects are recognized as one of the most active and
enterprising firms in the town.
Sparks, Jefferson (deceased), was born in Ulster county, November, 1818, was edu-
cated in Montgomery county, and finished at Hobart College, Geneva. At the age of
twenty-six he married Esther M., daughter of Ehada Watkins of Fairfax, Va., and
they were the parents of three children: Eli J., Mary A. and Harriet E., neither of
whom is living. Jefferson Sparks came to Ontario county when he was seventeen
years of age, and removed to Wayne county in 1860, settled east of Alloway and
bought the Burnett property, in 1868 bought the Nathan Gere property of 132 acres,
raising mint, hay, grain and stock. Our subject was one of the leading men in his
town, taking an active interest in educational and religious matters. He died June 5,
1883, a loss not only to his family and friends, but to the community in which he lived,
leaving a wife and daughter.
Schwab, Philip, was born in Alsace, Germany, May 1, 1821, came to the United
States and settled in the town of Arcadia. In 1873 he came to Lyons and bought the
Barrick estate, in 1886 bought the La Rue estate, having 475 acres, raising fruit, hay,
grain and stock. At the age of twenty-six he married Elizabeth Studor and they were
the parents of six children, two of whom are now living, Mrs. Frederick Stolz and
George. George Schwab married Lena Brubacher, daughter of Martin Brubacher of
Lyons, and they are the parents of two children : Charles E. and Lizzie M. Our sub-
ject with his son are among the largest and leading farmers in Wayne county.
Shannon, Lester H., an old and respected resident of Huron, was born on the farm
he now owns in October, 1850, son of Archibald R., a native of Ireland, who settled in
Huron in 1808. Archibald R. married Jane Hyde, and their children were Albert and
Lester. Our subject has always followed farming, and served as poormaster and con-
stable two years and as excise commissioner. In 1874 he married Frances Helen,
daughter of William and Jane (Twombley) Burns of the town of Rose, born in 1850.
Their children are : Marvin L., born October 28, 1875 ; Frank M., born February, 1877 ;
Albert (deceased), and Nettie B., born February 19, 1887.
Sutphen, John M., was born in Cayuga county, February 8, 1842. He was educated
as a lawyer, reading law under Judge Hastings of Rochester and was admitted to the
bar. He taught school for about twenty years and then practiced his profession for a
short time. He afterward abandoned the practice of law and devoted himself to farm-
ing, which occupation he has since followed. In 1863 Mr. Sutphen married Mary E.
Boothe of Manchester and settled on the farm on which he now lives. This farm con-
sists of eighty-five acres of land. He has four children : Minnie C, Eleanor E., C.
Ames and Clarissa H. The two older daughters are teachers, the son is at home with
202 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY
his parents, and the youngest daughter is attending the Palmyra Union School. Mr.
Sutphen was justice for eight years and is a Republican.
Robinson, C K., manager of the Lyons Road Cart Co., was born in Lyons January 7,
1853. His father, John, came from England in 1840 and settled in Lyons in 1846, was
a blacksmith and wagon manufacturer and achieved a prominent position in his town
and trade of the county. C. K. Robinson was educated in the Lyons Union school,
and after leaving engaged in the business with his father, and enlarged and extended
the business, to-day having an output of 800 buggies per year. He is a Republican in
politics, having been trustee of the village, and takes an intelligent interest in educa-
tional and religious matters, and is identified in advancing the best interests of his
town, where he is recognized as a man of business ability, of strict integrity and ster-
Snyder, J. F., born in Saratoga county January 23, 1821, and came to Wayne county
in 1855. His earlier years were spent as a carpenter and builder, and since 1883 he
has been engaged in farming. During the latter part of the war of the Rebellion he
was a member of Company C, 96th N. Y. S. Vols. July 28, 1844, he married Melinda
Drigman, of Gloversville, N. Y., and they have five children: Hiram, Sarah M., Eliza-
beth, Frances, and George Henry, who died in 1856 in infancy.
Strait, John GL son of J. G. Strait, of Savannah, was born at that place in 1842.
He enlisted August 21, 1861, in Company 8, 137th N. Y. S. Vols., and with the great
Army of the Potomac, participated in the battles of Antietam, Winchester, Chancel-
lorsville, and Gettysburg, and was honorably discharged in 1864. After the war he
engaged for many years in carpentry and building in Wolcott and established his pres-
ent business in 1882, that of manufacturer and wholesale dealer in lumber, and in 1884
erected his large and modern planing mill and factory. In 1867 Mr. Strait married
Sarah E. Rumsey, of Wolcott. She died in 1882, leaving four children, Walter, Mabel,
Lena, and Leon. He again married in 1884 Hattie, daughter of H. P. Lewis, of Huron,
and has two sons, Robert and Archer.
Schuyler, Henry, was born at Orleans August 23, 1844. His business training was
completed at the Albany Commercial College, after which he engaged in farming for a
period of ten years, and in 1885 began keeping books for a mercantile house at Lyons,
where he remained for five years. In 1890 he came to Red Creek, where he operates a
surburban farm of eighty acres. Mr. Schuyler is a Republican and holds the position
of overseer of the poor. In 1880 he married Elizabeth Reese, of Pavilion, N. Y., who
died five years later. His present wife was Ida Dominick, of Fulton, N. Y. During
the war of the Rebellion he enlisted in the 132d Illinois as chief of the headquarters
guard, and holds a certificate of thanks for honorable service, from Abraham Lincoln, a
document which he naturally prizes highly.
Seymour, L. D,, son of Orrin D. Seymour, of Huron, was born July 25, 1850. He
left home at ten years of age, being compelled by circumstances to make his own way
in the world, and was for a time a sailor on the lakes. When sixteen years old he de-
cided to adopt he profession of veterinary surgery, and to that end became a student
under John Graves of Pultneyville, studied one year with Professor McKenzie in Buf-
falo, and one year at the Veterinary College at Adrian, Mich. In 1874 he came to
Wolcott, where he has practiced his profession twenty years. April 4, 1872, he married
Harriet, daughter of Jacob Reynolds, of Huron. Their children were: Susie M., born
May 4, 1873, who died soon after her graduation from Leavenworth Institute, at the
age of nineteen; Eugene, born November 28, 1876, and Draper, born October 28, 1893.
Risley, Charles M., was born in Russell, St. Lawrence county, November 28, 1848,
the second of nine children of Marvin A. and Mariette (Bishop) Risley, natives of
Massachusetts, who early came to Russell. Later they came to this town, and after-
Family sketches. &63
wards removed to Webster, but again came to Ontario, where they died, he in 1892,
(May 27), and his wife March 22, 1889. Mr. Risley served as constable two years,
and was a Republican. Charles M. was educated in the public schools, and is a mason
by trade. He follows farming, owning forty-five acres of land, and raising stock, also
devoting some attention to fruit raising. He is a Republican and a Granger, also a
member of Fish Post, No. 406 G-. A. R. In 1864 Mr. Risley enlisted in Company B,
9th N. Y. Heavy Artillery, serving till the close of the war. He was at Cold Harbor,
Monocacy, Winchester, Sayler Run, Cedar Creek, Petersburg. At the close of the war
he went to Webster, and in 1868 came to Ontario, where he has ever since resided. In
1876 he married Marion, daughter of Hubbard Risley, of Russell, and they have one
son, Manley H., who resides at home.
Sheldon, Roger, and Elizabeth Marsh, his wife, came from Hartford, Conn., to Huron
in 1809, and took up a farm about two miles east of Sodus Bay. Their family con-
sisted of these children : Norman, Wareham, George, Grove, Ralsoman, Ralph, Amanda,
Maria, Flora, and Harriet. Norman lived and died in Huron, aged ninety-eight ;
Wareham spent most of his life in Huron, but died at Geneva, aged ninety-five;
George resided near the homestead ; Grove died aged sixteen ; Ralsoman lived in Genoa,
and died at the age of nearly 100; Ralph died in Wolcott October 4, 1871, aged seventy-
six. His widow,Minerva Flint, also died there, aged seventy-six ; Maria married a Mr. West
and died at advanced age at Yictor; Amanda married a Mr. Humphrey, of Albany, and
died aged ninety-six; Flora married Wm. Mudge, and died in Huron ; Harriet married
John Wood, and died in Clyde. On the way from Hartford to Huron Roger Sheldon
and family stopped over night with Judge Johnson in Dutchess county, and Mrs. John-
son gave the children some pears, the seeds of which they saved and planted in their
new home. From this source came the Sheldon pear, a famous variety, the original
tree yet standing on the old homestead. The children of Ralph and Minerva Sheldon
were as follows: Hiram, who married Hannah Demmon, and resides in Huron;
Sophronia, who married Rev. George Paddock, and resides in Rochester; Henry, one
of the first settlers of Kansas, where he now lives in Burlingame ; Andrew F., who
married Lucetta Salsbury. He graduated from the University of New York, having
previously read medicine with Dr. E. W. Bethune, formerly of Huron, and practiced
at Williamson before the war. He was appointed assistant surgeon of the 7th N. Y.
Cavalry, known as the Black Horse in 1861, remaining until April, 1862, when he was
appointed assistant surgeon in the 78th N. Y. Inf., and detailed for duty on General
Wadsworth's staff in the medical director's office at Washington. Here he remained as
executive officer until Augi.st, 1863, when he was commissioned surgeon of U. S. Vols,
by Lincoln and assumed charge of Campbell U. S. general hospital at Washington,
serving till the close of the war. He has been in the active practice of his profession
since the war, except for "nine years while he served as county treasurer. His eldest
son, Ralph, is a graduate of medicine ; and Albert, the younger son, is one of the pro-
prietors of the Silver Metal Manufacturing Company at Oswego. The daughter, Nora,
married Fremont Powers, and resides at Junius. Edwin Pomeroy Sheldon, youngest
son of Ralph, graduated in medicine from the University of New York, and located in
Burlingame, Kan., marrying Matilda, daughter of Judge Schuyler, of Ithaca. He was
appointed surgeon of the 5th Kansas Cavalry, and after a few months of service died
at Fort Scott, Mo. His wife still survives him at Ithaca, Jerome P. married Lydia
Saxton and resides in Dodge City, Kan.
Randal], Peleg, was born in the town of Corinth, Saratoga county, November 24,
1806. His father, Hathaway, came to Wayne county in 1816 and settled in the town
of Lyons. Peleg was educated in the common schools, only being able to attend
through the winters. In 1835 he bought the John Seabring property of sixty acres, to
which he has added, having 135 acres of some of the best farm land in the town, rais-
ing mint, hay, grain, and stock. In 1879 he married Mrs. Rebecca Wright, daughter
S04 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
of William Throop, of England. Our subject is one of the prominent farmers of his
town, having been assessor, highway commissioner, trustee of school, and is identified
in advancing the best interests of the town.
Robinson, John W., was born in the town Huron of September 27, 1843 His father,
Thomas, was a native of the northern part of Ireland, and came to the United States
in 1830, first settled in Phelps and moved to Huron in 1834, where the family home-
stead is now located. John W. was educated in the common schools, the Academy at
Red Creek, Falley Seminary, Wolcott, and in March, 1867, graduated from the College
of Physicians and Surgeons of New York. In 1869 he located at Alloway and estab-
lished a general practice, which he still continues. At the age of twenty-eight he mar-
ried Mary E., daughter of John B. Gorwey of Rensselaer county, and in 1890 was ap-
pointed physician to the Wayne county Almshouse and Insane Asylum. Our subject is
one of the leading men in his profession, identified in advancing the best interests of
Rice, Amman, second child of Isaac and Maria Rice, was born in Wolcott in 1847.
His father, Isaac Rice, was born in Scipio, Cayuga county, in 1811 and came to Wol-
cott in 1839, cleared up the farm now owned by our subject, erecting thereon a log
house. He died June 12, 1893, and his widow, Maria, who was born February 8, 1818,
survived him with her three children, Augustus, Amman, and Adelbert. In 1865 Am-
man married Helen Morey, who died May 28, 1880, leaving four children, Gilbert and
Charles, both of whom died in infancy, Anna M., born June 29, 1869, and Emma A.,
born August 31, 1874, who is a teacher. Mr. Rice's present wife was Melissa Quick,
of Junius, Cayuga county, N. Y., and she has one son, Claude, now fifteen years
Reeve, Abraham, was born in England April 3, 1830. His father, Abraham Reeve,
was born and died in England. Abraham Reeve, jr., came to this country when twenty
years of age. He went to Pennsylvania where, after working on a farm for some time,
he learned the carpenter's trade. He worked at his trade twenty years then engaged
in farming. He moved to Binghamton in 1872 and took up farming there. In 1855
he married Adaline Tompkins and they have five children. In politics Mr. Reeve is a
Richards, D., M.D., born in Skaneateles, Onondaga county, September 16, 1835, is
the seventh of thirteen children of Joseph and Selinda (Benjamin) Richards, natives of
Otsego county, born in 1801 and 1805 respectively. The grandfather of subject was
John Richards, a native of Otsego county, where he died. He was in the War of
1812, and his father was in the Revolutionary and French and Indian Wars. The family
is of English descent and date their ancestry back to three brothers who came over in
the Mayflower. Joseph Richards was a hatter and spent his life in Onondaga county.
He died in 1885 and his wife in 1844. Our subject was educated in the Union school of
Marcellus, followed teaching six years and then studied medicine with Dr. Dimock of
Phelps, N. Y., graduating from the Eclectic Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1865.
The same year he came to Marion where he has since had a very successful practice.
He is a member of Palmyra Lodge No. 294 F. and A. M., and of the A. O. U. W. No.
296 of Marion. Dr. Richards married in 1858 Maria H. Bellows a native of Cortland
county, and daughter of Zebulon Bellows, a manufacturer of furniture and pipe or-
gans. He died in Cortland county in 1865. Dr. Richards and wife had one daughter
at home, who graduated from the Syracuse Univeasity in class of 1894. Dr. Richards
is a member of the Eclectic Medical Society of New York State.
Russell, Darius F., was born in Williamson, January 24, 1839, and is the third son of Na-
thaniel and Rachel W. Russell, he a native of Williamson, born 1804, and she born in Ver-
mont in 1803. Nathaniel was a son of Daniel Russell, elsewhere mentioned in this work,
FAMILY SKETCHES. 205
a farmer who had only four months education in the common schools. He owned the
130 acres now owned by the subject of this sketch. Our subject was reared on a farm
and educated in the common schools and the Monroe Collegiate Institute, and began
teaching at the age of eighteen, and taught seven years. Mr. Russell was the first man
that enlisted at the first war meeting in the town of Williamson, although others had
gone from the town and enlisted elsewhere previously. He enlisted September 11, 1861
in Co. I, 17th N. Y., and served three years in the Army of the Potomac, and was in the
Seven Days before Richmond, 2d battle of Bull Run. He is a Prohibitionist in politics
and has been chairman of the Wayne County Prohibitionist Committee for seven years.
He has been justice of the peace two years. He is a member of the Grange and was
master one year. He organized the town Sunday School Association and was president
for seven years. He and his wife are members of the M. E. church, and have taught the
Young People's class for eighteen years. Mr. Russell has been twice married : March
19, 1865, to Maria Van Ostrand, a native of Monroe, and they had two children, Fred
D., aud Katie L., both residing in Buffalo. Fred is a real estate dealer. The second
time Mr. Russell married Dora V. Tuttle, a native of Steuben county, N. Y., and they
have three children : Charles P., Rachel E., and Mildred.
Rodgers, Mason L., was born in Palmyra, N. Y., November 17, 1825, the son of John
and Mary Mason Rodgers, he born in Rhode Island May 21, 1786 and she in Somerset
Mass., May 18, 1787. Mr. Rodgers came to Palmyra when five years of age with his
father William, who spent the rest of his life in that town. He died at the a»e of
eighty-two years in 1836. John Rodgers was a farmer and lived in Palmyra until 1836
when he moved to Marion and there died October 11, 1864, and his wife July 25, 1873.
Mason L. resided in Marion until 1881, when he came to Williamson, and there spent
the remainder of his days. He built the store now owned by Lewis P. Rodgers in 1877.
In 1848 he married Lydia Putnam, of Macedon, born June 14, 1826, and a daughter of
Stephen and Dorcas Smith Putnam. Mr. and Mrs. Rodgers have five children: Mary
A., wife of Dr. Clark, of Williamson ; Lewis R,, a fruit grower of Albion, N. Y. ; Ida
M., wife of Charles F. Adams, of Williamson, who died in 1892; Willis P., who married
Matie H. Tuttle and resides on the old homestead in Marion ; and Carrie P., at home.
Roe, Mrs. Sophia H., widow of the late John S. Roe, of Butler Center. Mr. Roe was
born in Northern Wolcott in 1819, son of John Roe, one of the pioneers of that section.
Liberally educated at Lima, N. Y., he became a man of influence in Butler, and held
many positions of responsibility, among them for ten years county superintendent of the
poor. His wife was Sophia Henderson, daughter of Worcester Henderson, of Butler
Center. They were married December 25, 1844, made their home upon the farm, and
reared two daughters, Jennie W. and Helen W. Universally respected and widely
mourned, John S. Roe died October 8, 1893.
Reed, Enos H., oldest son of Daniel and Mary C. Reed, of Huron, was born there in
1842. He was educated in the common schools and at twenty years of age engaged in
farming, which he followed twelve years with marked success. In 1874 he came to
Wolcott and formed a co-partnership with Zenas Booth, establishing a warehouse busi-
ness, which in 1879 became the firm of Reed & Cornwell. In 1884 Air. Reed purchased
the Empire Roller Mill, which he operated for five years, being now interested in agri-
cultural machinery. In 1862 he married Emma, daughter of Loomis and Arvilla Webb,
of Huron, and they have seven children.
Roe, G-eorge G., was born in Rose July 25, 1847, a son of John B. Roe, a prominent
farmer and a member of the M. E. Church of Clyde. The latter died in 1885, aged
sixty-six years. George B. laid the foundation of his education in the common schools ,
the Falley Seminary at Fulton, and is pre-eminently a self-made man. After traveling
on the road for seven years Mr. Roe came to Clyde in 1874, where he established his
present business, that of harness manufacturer and dealer in wagons, buggies, bicycles,
206 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
etc., carrying the largest and best stock in Wayne county. In 1885-86 our subject was
elected supervisor, has been notary public for ten years, and in May, 1890, was ap-
pointed by President Harrison to the office of postmaster of the town of Clyde, taking
possession in the spring of 1891. At the age of thirty-seven he married Frances J.
Wood, daughter of Hudson R. Wood, of Rose, and they have one daughter, Edith J.
Mr. Roe is one of the conservative men of his town, thoroughly alive to all things that
will advance its best interests, and taking a prominent part in its political and educa-
Reed, John Sherburne, M. D., was born in Rochester, April 19, 1864. His father,