George Washington Cowles.

Landmarks of Wayne County, New York online

. (page 86 of 107)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Isaac F., was a native of England. Dr. Reed was educated at the Academy in Roches-
ter, graduating in 1883, read law for a year and then went to Cleveland, Ohio, and
took the medical course at the College of Physicians & Surgeons, graduating in March,
1888, and was made house surgeon at Buffalo Hospital, and then went to London,
England, and took a post-graduate course at St. Bartholomew's Hospital. He returned
to the United States in 1891 and located at Lyons, and established a general practice,
succeeding Dr. J. C. McPherson in business. At the age of twenty-seven he married
Ida L., daughter of John Wesley Slaughter, of Benton, Yates county. He is a Repub-
lican in politics, and was appointed health officer of his town in 1893. Our subject is
one of the best read members of his profession, identified in advancing the best interests
of his town and recognized as a man of steiling character and worth, being a member of
the N. Y. State Homoeopathic Medical Society, of which he has been secretary and
treasurer two years.

Reeves, Stephen, born in East Palmyra August 21, 1825, is the oldest of twelve chil-
dren of Howell and Phoebe J. (Howell) Reeves, he a native of East Palmyra, born in
June, 1797, and she a native of New Jersey, born July 19, 1803. The grandfather of
subject was Elias Reeves, a native of South Hampton, born in 1762. He came to Pal-
myra in 1792, where he died. He and another young man named Foster were sent to
represent a colony from Long Island. His wife was Eunice (Howell) Reeves. Howell
Reeves was educated in the common schools. He came to Marion in 1837, and settled
on a farm now owned by subject, where he died October 7, 1865. and his wife Sep-
tember 13, 1876. Our subject was reared on a farm, educated in Marion Academy, has
always followed farming and owns eighty acres of land. He enlisted in 1862 in Com-
pany" B, 9th N. Y. Artillery, and served three years. He was at Cold Harbor, Win-
chester, Cedar Creek, and Monocacy. He has been assessor twenty- five years. He
married September 18, 1868, Dolly Williams, widow of Alvan Andrew, who was killed
at the battle of Winchester. She was a daughter of Albert and Eliza Williams, who
came to Ontario in 1836 and then to Marion previous to the war, where Mr. Williams
died January 6, 1884, and his wife April 28, 1891. Mr. Reeves and wife have had two
sons: Albert H., a clerk in Rochester, and George S., at home. Mr. Reeves had three
brothers in tlie late war.

Richmond, Thomas J., was born in Onondaga county February 3, 1824. His father,
Jacob Richmond, was a native of New Jersey, moving to Manlius, Onondaga county,
where he married Esther ClarrC, daughter of Christopher Clark. He was a tailor by
trade, and for several years he followed this occupation, when he sold out his business
and invested his money in a farm, and was engaged in farming up to the time of his
death, which occurred in 1842. Ten children were born to him, Thomas J. Richmond,
the subject of this sketch, being the third child. Mr. Thomas Richmond was connected
with the building of several different railroads, viz. : The Ogdensburg R. R., portions
of the Malone, N. Y. Central from Palmyra east; and eight miles west of Batavia.
He has built several miles of canal and about forty miles of railroad in Canada, and in
company with Nathaniel Green built the aqueduct in Macedon. He is the owner of
one hundred and ninety acres of fine land. In politics he is a Republican.



FAMILY SKETCHES. 207

Roe, William, born December 14, 1834, is the second son of Willis and Flora S. Roe,
of Wayne county. Daniel Roe, the paternal grandfather of William Roe, came to
Butler from Connecticut in 1812, and was a man of much prominence. He died in
1852, at the age of ninety, leaving five sons and five daughters. William Roe was
graduated from Wesleyan University in 1855, and after the study of law with Judge
Collin, was admitted to the bar in 1862. He was for six years the partner of his
former preceptor, Judge Collin, beginning an independent practice in 18G8. Mr. Roe
has a large legal business, and has been a member two years of the Democratic State
Central Committee. He married, June 30, 1857, Sarah Dill, of Wolcott, and they
have two sons and four daughters.

Rogers, Hiram C. (deceased), second son of Col. Bartlett C. Rogers, was born July
21, 1835, educated at Lyons and Fort Plain, after which he accompanied his father,
who went out as captain of the 160th NY. Vols., to the war, acting as sutler to that
regiment, returning in 1865. He served as deputy sheriff. At the age of thirty- one
he married Julia C, daughter of H. Gr. Dickerson, of Lyons, and who are the parents
of two sons, Heman D., of Detroit, Mich., and Percy L. Hiram C. died October 28,
1888, at the age of fifty-three, leaving a wife and two sons to take up his many plans
and carry them to completion. He was generous and benevolent in disposition, taking
an active interest in educational and religious institutions, being a member of the Pres-
byterian church. He was ready to answer when called.

Patridge, Daniel, was born in the town of Manchester, Ontario county, August 10,
1844. He has always followed farming, working his father's farm until he came on his
present place. He married Ann Kipp, of Macedon, and they have two children, Carrie
and Anna. Mr. Patridge owns 100 acres of land and keeps a small dairy. He is a
member of the Grange and in politics is a Republican.

Phillips, John M., was born in Wolcott September 25, 1860. His parents, William
W. and Hannah, were for many years domiciled where our subject now resides. John
Phillips is a young man of more than ordinary ability and highly esteemed wherever
he is known. He acquired a thorough education at Red Creek, and in early manhood
engaged in his chosen vocation, conducting the homestead farm of 100 acres. He has
found time to fill various positions of trust in his town, but is largely devoted to his
family and his home. His wife was Victoria, daughter of Charles and Elizabeth Green,
and they have two sons : William Meric, born February 8, 1884, and John M., jr., born
January 9, 1893. They lost a daughter, Beth, November 7, 1891, at the age of four
years.

Payne, William, was born in Heathfield, Sussex connty, England, December 9, 1845,
the oldest of two children born to Peter and Ann E. Payne, natives of England, where
the wife died September 25, 1850, and the family came to Ontario in March, 1854, and
moved on the town line between Ontario and Williamson, in about fifteen years moved
on south town line between Walworth and Ontario, and then to Walworth on a farm
owned by Tappan Merrill, and finally to Walworth village, where he now resides. He
married, a second time, Mary A. Payne, by whom he had three children. Mr. Payne
has been a farmer, but now lives a retired life in Walworth. Our subject was educated
in the common schools of England and this country. He came to America at the age of
nine years and at sixteen learned the carpenter's trade, followed it about twenty years,
and in 1883 purchased the farm of thirty acres he now owns, and follows general
farming, fruit raising, and fruit evaporating. Mr. Payne married, in 1871, Electa E.
Lane, a native of Ontario, and daughter of John and Hannah Lane, early settlers of
Ontario, but now resides in Macedon. Subject and wife have had two children, Ethel
F., who died in infancy, and Susie A. He was formerly a Democrat and held the office
of highway commissioner four years, but is now identified with the Republican party.
He is a member of Wayne County Lodge No. 416, F. & A. M. He was made a Mason



jus LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.

in 1867, and has held the office of master of lodge six terms, and is also a member of the
South Shore Grange of Ontario. He and family are Universalists.

Parker, Lorenzo, a native of Delhi, N. Y., was born in 1810, and at the age of seven
years came to Palmyra, three miles north of the village, where his brother Seih pur-
chased 400 acres of land, and there lived and died. Lorenzo was one of six children,
and the only one whose descendants are still here. He resided with his parents till
1862, when he moved to Palmyra, and lived retired until his death in 1887, and there
his widow still lives. He married Charlotte S. Wales of Troy, a native of New Hamp-
shire, and of their six children two died in infancy, and the others are : Roderick W.,
a resident of Palmyra, Charles A., with the Metropolitan Telephone Company of New
York city; John M. who resides in Palmyra, and Clara M., a resident here. The orig-
inal tract of land is still in the possession of the children.

Pease, Charles, was born in Columbia county, August 2, 1810, son of Abel and
Elizabeth (Potts) Pease. By a previous marriage with Miss Whitbeck, Mr. Pease had
two children, both of whom are deceased. In 1828 he removed to Arcadia, in 1829 to
Manchester, Ontario county, and in 1834 came to Ontario, Wayne county, where he
spent his last days. Charles Pease is a natural mechanic, and has followed manufactur-
ing of various articles in connection with his farm business. To the original homestead
he has added till he now owns a splendid farm of 207 acres, and has a feed mill, cider
mill, etc. He is the first man of Ontario run a steam engine, and put in the first drain
tile in the town. January 8, 1832, he married Laura Beach, born in Hamilton, Madison
county, September 23, 1811, a daughter of Nathaniel and Lucy (Smith) Beach, natives
of Massachusetts. They had two sons and three daughters, Mrs. Pease being the only
one now living. Mr. and Mrs. Pease have had two sons and seven daughters : Annetta,
who died aged twelve years; Lucy, wife of Edward H. Pound, deceased; Charles
Wesley, general mechanic, now resides in Rochester. His wife is Alma Giberson, a
native of Ohio. In 1862 he enlisted in the war, and in 1863 was made second lieuten-
ant and promoted first lientenant of the 10th Colored Regiment; Emily, wife of W.
Speller of Ontario ; Louisa, died April 11, 1844; Celinda, wife of Isaac Hurley of On-
tario ; Alzora, wife of Charles Gernee of Ontario ; Frank, who is general manufacturer
and inventor in Rochester. His wife is Ella Meyer of Rochester ; and Fannie, wife of
Conrad Schnetzer, of Ontario. Mr. and Mrs. Pease celebrated their golden wedding
ten years ago. He is a liberal supporter of the M. E. Church, of which his wife is a
member.

Powers, William A., the genial and popular owner and proprietor of the JPowers
Hotel, corner of Main and Fayette streets, is a native of Ontario county, born in Farm-
ington in 1852. The hotel was built as the Palmyra Hotel, on the site of the old Eagle
Hotel, by a stock company in 1836, at a cost of about $12,000, and was at the time the
finest hotel structure in western New York. April 5, 1838, it was sold at auction to
William P. Nottingham, who became its first landlord, and continued its management
for over twenty-five years. The house was owned and conducted by other parties for
a short time following Mr. Nottingham's retirement, and in 1867 Robert Hale came into
possession and was for several years proprietor and owner. Under his management the
house was changed and improved. In 1872 Joseph E. Cochran bought the furniture and
fixtures, and leased the building for five years, at the expiration of which time C. B.
Stewart become owner and proprietor for two years, then leased it for five years to
L. D. Cummings. Pliny T. Sexton then bought the property, and in turn sold it in
1886 to Mr. Powers, who gave it its present name. This hotel is under the efficient
management of Mr. and Mrs. Powers as host and hostess, and is deservedly one of
the most popular in the State. It is a three-story fifty-room building, with a wide
porch and a row of Ionic columns in front, making it strikingly attractive in appear-
ance.



FAMILY SKETCHES. 209

Patterson, Roger J., was born in Edwards, St. Lawrence county, March 11, 1834.
His father, John, came from Belfast, North Ireland, in 1832, and were of English
descent. He first settled at Edwards, and in 1835 removed to Sheldon, Wyoming
county. He was supervisor and a prominent man in that town. Roger J. was edu-
cated in the common schools, attended Genesee Wesleyan Seminary and afterward
graduated at 0. K. Chamberlain's Business College, Baltimore, Md., and came to Wayne
county in 1859. He enlisted in the U. S. Army August 8, 1864, in the city of Wash-
ington, and was detailed as hospital steward with the surgeon-general, and was dis-
charged in March 1866. In 1867 he established a mercantile business, which he con-
tinued up to 1876. and then traveled on the road for ten years. In 1893 he was ap-
pointed police justice in his town. At the age of twenty-five he married Martha A.,
daughter of John Veeder, of Marille, Erie county, and they are the parents of one son.
Harry W., now of Denver, Col. Our subject is one of the leading men in his town,
taking an active interest in educational and religious matters, identified in advancing
the best interests of his town, and is recognized as a man of sterling integrity.

Phillips, Clarence A., was born in Auburn, Cayuga county, July 11, 1858, and came
to Lyons in 1879. He was educated in the common schools, to which he has added
through life by reading and close observation. In 1892 in connection with Edward B.
Graff, he formed a partnership and established his present business of dry goods,
groceries, crockery and glassware, carrying the leading and one of the best selected
stocks in Lyons. At the age of twenty-eight he married Louisa A., daughter of
Henry M. Baltzel, of Lyons, and they are the parents of three children : Joseph C,
Mabel and Edith. Our subject is a Democrat in politics and was nominated for presi-
dent of the village in 1894, taking an intelligent interest in educational and religious
matters, and isidenti c 5ed in advancing the best interests of his town, where he is recog-
nized as a man of conservative character and strict integrity, whose word is as good as
his bond.

Parshall, Rossman J., was born in Palmyra November 18, 1844. His father, Hendee,
was a native of the county, who died at the age of seventy-six and was a prominent
farmer. Rossman J. was educated in the common schools and finished at the Macedon
Academy, after which he enlisted in -111th N. Y. Volunteers, and took part in the
closing battles of the war, receiving wounds in the back of the neck and shoulder. He
received an honorable discharge in July, 1865, holding the rank of second lieutenant at
the end of his service. The 111th Regiment was a part of the Second Army Corps of
the Army of the Potomac, and was known as the fighting regiment of that corps.
After leaving the army he returned to Palmyra, and in 1866 came to Lyons and ac-
cepted a position as bookkeeper in the Lyons National Bank, where he remained until
1870. In 1872 he went to Sodus and took charge of the Shaker tract of land, and in
1879 was appointed collector of the Port of Sodus Point and held the position up to
1886, when he was elected sheriff and came to Lyons. At the expiration of the term
of office he established the present firm of Parshall & Sweeting in the wholesale and
retail lumber business. At the age of twenty-eight he married Kate E., daughter of
Charles E. Thurber of Palmyra, and they have one son, Ross T. Mrs. Parshall died
April 5, 1892, regretted by a large circle of friends and acquaintances.

Pritchard, Edward, one of the veteran defenders of his country's flag, was born in
Butler December 13, 1836, second son of the late William and Lydia Pritchard. In
1861 he enlisted in Company H, 75th N. Y. State Volunteers, and was first under fire
at the bombardment of Fort Pickens in Florida. Unable to endure the climate and
privations of Santa Rosa Island, he was honorably discharged in 1863. Josephine
Greenfield, of Butler, to whom he was married in 1870, has three children : Elmer, who
died March 20. 1893, at twenty-one years of ag», leaving a widow and one daughter,
Sarah, wife of Ernest Knowlton, of Butler, and Leland now eight years of age.



21(1 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY

Quereau, George Henry, was born in Sterling, Cayuga county, June 4, 1846, son of
William Quereau, born in Westchester county in June, 1819, who came to Wayne
county in 1847, and settled in the town of Wolcott. He was road commis-
sioner, overseer of the poor, and filled various other offices. His wife was Mrs.
Sabra Myers Lewis, and their children were : George H., William, Jennie, Frank,
Corie, and Dewitt. When eighteen years of age our subject went to Michigan,
where he engaged in the egg business from 1872 to 1882. Since that time
he has been a resident of Huron. Since 1890 he has been interested in the evapor-
ated apple business in Monterey, Mich. In 1869 he married Henrietta, daughter of
Thomas and Sarah Bean, born in St. Lawrence county, of English extraction, and their
children are: Mary Belle, Frank B., and Henry N. Our subject has served as overseer
of the poor three terms, is a member of the Masonic order, Vernon Lodge No. 66, of
Michigan. He and his wife are members of the Huron Grange.

Patrick, R. Z., a retired contractor and builder, of Red Creek, was born July 23, 1814,
in Otsego county, N. Y. For many years largely identified with the best business
interests of this place, he is yet a hale and hearty man at eighty years of age, and
worthy of the esteem in which he is held. His first wife was Mary Snyder, to whom
he was married in 1842, and who at her death in 1875 at the age of fifty-five left two
children: Lucy, the only daughter, now deceased; and one son, George, a resident of
Missouri. In April, 1878, Mr. Patrick married Hannah Moore, of Baldwinsville, N. Y.
Always a Republican he has held many official positions with honor and fidelity.

Osborn, P. F., was born in Cattaraugus county, N. Y., April 10, 1846. He is the
second child of a family of five children, born to Roswell and Emily J. (Arnold) Osborn,
natives of Cayuga county, N. Y., and early settlers of Cattaraugus county, The father
died in Wisconsin during a short residence in that State in 1886, at the age of sixty-
eight years. The mother still resides in Ontario Centre. Mr. P. F. Osborn was reared
in the village of Sandusky, N. Y., and there educated. He was a carpenter by trade,
although he had spent six years in the oil regions. In 1883 Mr. Osborn came to Ontario
Centre and engaged in the mercantile business, where he has been very successful. Mr.
Osborn is a Republican in politics. He is a member of the Webster Lodge No. 538,
K. Sz A. M., and Palmyra Eagle Chapter No. 79, R. A. M. Mr. Osborn was married
twice, first, in 1869 to Augusta Ely, a native of Rushford, N. Y. By this marriage he
had one child, Ernest, who died at the age of five years. Mrs. Osborn died in 1872, and
in 1879 he married B. Agnes Sweeney, a native of Cattaraugus county. Byhissecond
marriage he had one son, Homer S., born in 1885.

Olmsted, William A., was born in Canada, May 7, 1852, son of Lauren Olmsted, a
native of Huron, born in 1818, and a farmer by occupation. In 1840 he went to Canada,
and while there married Sarah Reddington, a native of Canada. Some years later he
returned to the homestead in Huron, where he was born and now resides. His father
was Elijah Olmsted, a pioneer of Huron. At the age of twenty-three our subject began
farming, in 1874 purchased his father-in-law's homestead, in 1894 moved to North Huron
and engaged in a general mercantile business, where his genial disposition and business
ability cannot but insure him success. In 1875 he married Phoebe, daughter of Martin
McLaughlin, who came to Huron in 1830. She was born in 1854. They have two
children: Mary E., born July 24, 1876, and Grare B., born March 12, 1879. Mr. Olmsted
served two terms as collector, and he and wife are members of the Huron Grange
Lodge.

Orchard, R. P., was born in Bath, Somersetshire, England, June 9, 1811, son of
Abram K. and Mary (Cuthbertson) Orchard, he a native of Bath, and she of Neath, near
Swanzey. England. The father of Ahram K. was a bookbinder by trade, and also a
minister of the Wesleyan Methodist Church. He died in 1857, aged sixty-seven years,
and his wife in ,1813. Subject was reared in South Wales at Mantyglo. He began work



FAMILY SKETCHES. ill

in the iron works and at nineteen years of age took charge of a coal yard. He remained
in that work until 1838, when he came to Rochester and engaged in the grocery business
twenty-eight years, and in 1872 came to Walworth, where he has lived retired. Mr.
Orchard was married three times, first to Elizabeth Whitehead in 1844, by whom he had
one child, Rowel R., who resides in Washington as a livery manager. His second wife
was Charlotte Baker, and his third wife, whom he married December 19, 1884, was
Diana Turner, widow of Silas Turner, of Walworth. Mr. Turner died in 1881. Rowel
R. married Hannah Everdeen, by whom he had three children : Charles, Libbie and
Willie. Mrs. Orchard, wife of subject, first married Harvey Howes, by whom she had
five children now living: Roswell F., Harriet A., E. Clarissa, Charles H., and William
H, all living in Michigan, except Charles H., who is a Baptist minister of Clyde. Mr.
Orchard has made his own property, and was the first man to deliver goods from a store
in Rochester.

O'Dell, John S., a native of Washington county, born May 31, 1845, is the second of
two sons and one daughter of James and Hannah (Williams) O'Dell, natives of Wash-
ington county. They came to Marion in 1866, and settled on the farm now owned by
our subject. James O'Dell was a shoemaker by trade, at which he worked in Wash-
ington county, but lie had a farm. The grandparents were James and Sallie O'Dell, of
Washington county. He was a carpenter and millwright by trade. He went from
Washington county to Onondaga and thence to Alleghany county, where he died. The
paternal great-grandfather 'was Solomon Dutcher of Washington county. The father of
our subject remains on the farm till the death of his wife, September 27, 1887. Soon
after he sold the farm to his son John J., and returned to his native county, where he
still resides aged seventy-eight years. Our subject married in 1878 Emma E., daughter
of Edwin Curtis, of Marion, and they have one daughter, Hattie, born July 6, 1883.
Mr. O'Dell's farm consists of one hundred acres, and he follows general farming and
fruit growing.

Newberry, E. W., was born June 3, 1841, at Huron. He was educated at Falley
Seminary, Fulton, and his early years were spent on a farm. In 1874 he engaged in
general hardware business, beside undertaking, at Wolcott, and in 1884 established the
firm of Newberry & Burton, furniture dealers and funeral directors. In 1865 he mar-
ried Josie C, daughter of Rev. Amasa Jones, of Huron. She died in 1881, leaving
three children : Myrta J., Merritt E., and Albert J. Mr. Newberry again married in
1883 Cordelia Furbush, of Wolcott, who has two children, Mary A., and Bradnor F.
He is an earnest Republican, and beside many minor offices has served as coroner twelve
years.

Noonan, M. D., born in Province of Munster, Clare county, Ireland, February 2,
1829, is a son of Michael and Ellen Noonan. The father died in Ireland, and his wife
came to Macedon and there lived and died. Our subject was educated in Ireland, in
1849 came to Cayuga county, and the same year came to Sodus, and has with the ex-
ception of one and one-half years in Ohio, as foreman for Thomas Richmond, resided in
Wayne county. He is a farmer and owns eighty-three acres of land. He married,
November 9, 1851, Catharine Haloran, a native of Ireland, and daughter of Thomas
Haloran, who came to Wayne county in 1849, and died in Ohio. Mr. Noonan and wife
have had fourteen children: Thomas M., Francis, John D., Margaret E., Kittle B.,
Sarah W., Jennie W., Joseph W., Nellie, Dennie E., Charles E., Mary L., Willie, and
one who died in infancy. Mr. Noonan is a member of the Marion Grange.

Norman, William, of Macedon, was born here September 1, 1844.' His father was
Isaac Norman, a native of England, who came here at the age of twenty years, settling
in Marion, N. Y., where he followed farming for a time, then took up masonry, working
at his trade for forty years. He died at the age of seventy-five years. His wife,
Elizabeth Smith, died in 1893, aged eighty years. Of their eight children our subject is



212 LANDMARKS] > OF i WAYNE£COUNTY.

the fifth. He was educated in the common schools, and married first, Elizabeth Plumrn,
of this town, by whom he had two children, one now living. His second marriage was
with Elizabeth Glover, of Macedon, and they have four children, all living. Mr.