George Washington Cowles.

Landmarks of Wayne County, New York online

. (page 89 of 107)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

married Sarah E. White, and their children are: Virginia Amelia (deceased), who mar-
ried Charles Kelly ; Alice, who died unmarried ; Harvey, who married Frances Miller
and resides in Williamson ; and Warner D., is a farmer on the homestead. He married
Lillian B. Whaling, of Sodus.

Greene, Samuel B., was born in Albany county, February 9, 1827, and died in Sodus
in October, 1887. His father, Joseph, came to Wayne county in 1837, and settled near
Joy in the town of Sodus. He took an active part in political affairs, and was highway



224 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.

commissioner and assessor. He was a prominent member of the Christian church of
Marion. He married Abigail Baker, and their children were : Samuel B., Jeremiah,
Benjamin B., and Joseph A. Joseph Greene, sr., died in 1875; Jeremiah settled in
Clyde, where he died in 1888. For many years he carried on a drug business there;
Benjamin B. settled in Newark and is a carpenter and builder ; Joseph A. settled in
Indiana, where he died. He was for many years engaged in the hardware trade there;
Samuel B. settled on a farm south of Joy, where he spent his life. He was highway
commissioner and assessor for several years, also collector. He was a liberal supportor
of the Presbyterian church of Joy, and for many years was superintendent of the Sab-
bath school. He married in 1852 Harriet J., daughter of Adam Tinkelpaugh, of Sodus,
and their children were: Louise A. (Mrs. Lynn D. Wake, of Sodus) ; Harriet A. (Mrs.
Franklin L. Butts, of Sodus) ; and Martha M. (deceased).

Knapp, Walter, the' pioneer of the family in Wayne county, came from Columbia
county in 1833, and settled two miles south south of Sodus village. Soon after he pur-
chased what is now the Stickney farm, a mile south of the village, where he spent the
remainder of his life. He was a prominent member of the Sodus Presbyterian church,
and for many years one of its deacons. He married Annis Richmond, and they had five
children: Simeon, who settled in New York city and engaged in mercantile pursuits;
George, who settled in Allegan, Mich. ; Phineas, who engaged in railroading, and died
in New Orleans; Helen (Mrs. E. A. Greene); and James P., who settled in Sodus on
the Flarel Kingsley farm. He is a leading member of the Sodus Presbyterian church,
and for many years was trustee and elder. The latter office he still holds. He married
Nancy, daughter of Flarel Kingsley, of Sodus, and they had two sons : George, who
died in 1874, and Charles K., of Sodus village.

Kelley, William H., was born in Arcadia, June 12, 1856, educated in the district
school and the academy, and spent his boyhood on his father's farm until the age of
thirteen. In 1884 he began business as a druggist and stationer, which he has followed
successfully ever since. August 30, 1874, he married Ella R. Van Auken, of this town,
and they have had three children : C. Fred, Gertrude E., and Alice M. ; the son is a
student in the Wesleyan College at Bloomington, 111., and the daughters students at the
academy. Mr. Kelley's father, Ebenezer, was born in Kinderhook, Columbia county,
and removed here with his parents in 1830. He married Anna M. Phillips, of Arcadia,
and they had 'nine children : Clarence M., John P., William II., Ellen L., H. Madge,
Charles E., Frank A., James E., and a son, Henry, who died young. Both parents are
now living (1894). Mrs. Kelley's father, Martin C. Van Auken, was born in Westfali,
Pa., November 18, 1832, and came here with his parents in 1833. Mr. Kelley is a
member of the Masonic and Maccabee Orders, also Newark Grange, has served as town
clerk two years, is a member of the Village Board, and is president of the Board of
Education.

Delano, Edward Chandler, was born in Sodus Centre, N. Y., November 30, 1854, and
traces his ancestry back to Jean and Marie (Mahien) Delano, natives of France, whose
son, Philip, came to Plymouth witli the second detachment of Pilgrims in "ye good
ship Fortune" in 1621. The oldest son of Philip, the Pilgrim, was Dr. Thomas Delano,
who married Mary, daughter of John and Priscilla (Molines) Alden, from which this
branch of the family is descended. William, the pioneer in Wayne county, was a son
of Amaziah, a Revolutionary soldier, who was a great-great-grandson of Dr. Thomas
above. William came to this locality in 1811 from North Yarmouth, Me., where the
family had settled two generations previously. He took up a farm near the present
village of Sodus Centre, and carried on farming and blacksmithing. His wife was
Hannah Hayden. who with her brothers came from Maine in 1812. The children of
William and Hannah were : William II. H, Lucy E. A., Elbridge G., Elvina A.,
Gardiner W., and Rufus Chandler, who all lived to maturity. Rufus C. has always
resided in the town of Sodus ; he married Almeda Matilda, daughter of Edward and



FAMILY SKETCHES. 225

Mary Ann (Jacobs) Taylor, March 4, 1847, by whom he had one child, Edward C. as
above. The latter was educated in the public schools and at Sodus Academy, and from
1874 to 1881 was engaged in teaching, being principal of the Sodus Centre Graded
School. In the fall of 1881 he was elected school commissioner of Wayne county, which
office he filled for six consecutive years, and was then appointed chief examiner in the
State Department of Public Instruction, holding the office for five years, or until his
resignation in 1893. Here he organized and perfected the present State system of
uniform examinations for teachers' certificates. He was also the pioneer in the move-
ment for establishing Arbor Day in the State of New York, and many other salutary
school laws have been enacted largely through his efforts. In 1878, '79 and '80 he was
president of the Wayne County Teachers' Association, and in 1885 and '86 he was pres-
ident of the New York State Association of School Commissioners and Superindendents.
He is an attendant at the Presbyterian church in Sodus Centre, of which he is a trustee.
January 25, 1888, he married Emma Jane, onlv daughter of Albert G-. and Eliza
(Smith) Graham, of Clyde, N. Y.

Robinson, Hon. Rowland, one of the prominent citizens of Sodus, was born in Cam-
bridge, Washington county. November 7, 1820, his ancestors being Rhode Island
Quakers. In 1865 he came and settled in the town of Sodus, buying a farm south of
the village, and at once began to identify himself with the best interests of the town.
He was supervisor of Sodus from 1877 to 1880, when he was elected to the Assembly
of 1881. He held for several years the appointment of town commissioner of the Sodus
Point and Southern Railroad, and was director for a time of the Lake Ontario Shore"
Railroad ; is president of the Wayne County Fire Relief Association, having insurance
on farm property amounting to about $3,200,000, with an average increase of $200,-
000 per year.

Redgrave, Samuel C, leading hardware dealer of Lyons, was born in Baltimore, Md.,
April 17, 1836, is a son of John Redgrave, who died in 1840. Samuel was taught in
the schools of Wayne, whither his mother came after her husband's death, to be near
her brother, William N. Cole, the editor of one of the local papers. He worked on a
farm in early life, and then served as clerk in the hardware store of William H. Hulelt,
of Lyons. He next worked a year in Palmyra, and on April 1, 1855, returned to
■ Lyons in the employ of P. P. Bradish, who then carried on hardware trade. Mr.
Bradish sold out a year later to R. H. Murdock, for whom Mr. Redgrave worked until
1860. After a short time spent in Baltimore he came back to Lyons and began work
in the hardware store of Aaron Remsen. In 1862 he enlisted in the 9th N. Y. Heavy
Artillery, and was discharged for disability in 1864, returning to his former position.
In 1865 he married his employer's daughter, Melvena Remsen. The firm of Remsen &
Redgrave was formed January 1, 1866. Mr. Remsen died in February, 1886, Mr. Red-
grave has since carried on the business alone. Mr. Remsen was for many years one of
the most respected citizens of the town, and Mr. Redgrave enjoys the confidence and
esteem of his fellow citizens. He is father of three daughters.

Cheetham, William J., was born in London, England, in 1842, and is a son of John
Cheetham, who came from England in 1853 and settled in the northwest part of Sodus
on the lake shore, where he engaged in farming. He married Mary Welburn, and their
children are : William J., Richard M., George F., Anna R., Emily M., and Caroline M.
Richard M. and George F. reside in Williamson, and are engaged in the hardware and
banking business ; Anna R. is unmarried ; Emily M. married William Horn ; Caroline
M. married Christopher Ewer. William J. Cheetham settted at Joy, carries on a saw
mill, and is also engaged in farming. He has been a member of the Board of Assessors
of the town, is a member and warden of St. John's Episcopal church of Sodus. In 1863
he enlisted in the 97th N. Y. Infantry, and served until the close of the war. He held the
rank of corporal and acting sergeant. He is a member of Dwight Post. G. A. R., of



226 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.

Sodus, has been commander one year, chaplain two years, and quartermaster several
years. He has also been a delegate to the State Encampment. He married first Sarah
E., daughter of Eev. Edmund Burke, and their children were : John H., Charles W.,
Francis E. (deceased), Frederick G., and Maria Isabel!. His second wife was Mary L.,
daughter of Philip Miihl, of Sodus, and they have one son, Richard M. Cheetham.

Younglove, R. W., a resident for fifty years north of Wolcott, was born in Mas-
sachusetts May 15, 1824. He is a man of much force of character and moral worth,
with all the sterling qualities that cling to the pioneer who has achieved success. De-
cember 30, 1847, he married Sarah, daughter of John Washburn, of Victory, Cayuga
county, N. Y. They have four children : Willis, Frances, Mary and Nettie. Frances is
the wife of Daniel Robertson, and Mary of Arthur Easton.

York, Benjamin S., was born in Huron, November 13, 1825, on the farm he now
owns. He was the son of Benjamin York, born in Maine in 1785, who came to
Huron in 1812, and was a staunch Whig. His wife was Martha Churchill, and their
children were John, Irena, Lovilla, Lavina, Benjamin, and Emeline. Our subject re-
mained with his father until the latter died, and in 1850 married Minerva, daughter
of John and Eliza De Witt Miller, of Schuyler county, and their children are : Imo-
gene, wife of Robert J. Kelly, of Huron ; Eliza, widow of William Mitchell, of Rose ;
Josephine and Christina. As his children have left home he has placed them each
on a good farm.

Zimmerlin Bros. — This firm is composed of H. F. and C. G. Zimmerlin, sons of F. C.
Zimmerlin, and who are one of the leading firms in hardware and agricultural imple-
ments in Lyons. The business was established in 1885 in the same location now occu-
pied by them. The brothers are recognized in this town as business men of ability and
strict integrity, and have met with success from the inception of the business up to the
present time. H. F. Zimmerlin married Sarah L. Warner, and they have three children :
Grace, Mez, and May. C. G. Zimmerlin married Mary L., daughter of Nelson R. Mirick,
of Lyons, and while both brothers have had an active business life they have found
time to take an intelligent interest in the leading events of the day, in educational and
religious matters, and are identified in advancing the best interests of their town.

Wood, Noah, was born April 23, 1832, the son of Horatio Wood, a farmer of Butler,
who was also a man of local prominence, being a justice for twenty years, and who died
in 1860. His wife, Angeline, the mother of seven children, died in 1886. Noah's edu-
cation at Levina, N. Y., was of a theological tendency, but his principal occupation has
been farming, and he now owns and operates a dairy farm in the suburbs of Wolcott.
September 10, 1861, he married Hattie, daughter of John Hall, of Cicero, N. Y., and
both are prominent in the M. E. church of Wolcott. Mr. Wood is a man of much char-
acter, and has filled many positions of trust and responsibility, such as the president of
the village, trustee of the Leavenworth Institute, and justice of the peace, holding the
latter position twelve years.

Whitcomb, Flynn, was born in Washington county, December 20, 1833, one of seven
children of Selinda and Samuel (Smith) Whitcomb, of Washington and Chautauqua coun-
ties, respectively. They came to Walworth when our subject was an infant, and thence
to Ontario in 1838, where they lived and died. He and wife were members of the M. E.
church, of which he was a local preacher. Flynn was reared on the farm, educated in
the common schools, and is a carpenter by trade, though he has followed farming most
of his life, having a farm of eighty-seven acres. He also gives some attention to fruit
raising. In 1892 he was elected to represent the western district of Wayne county in
the Assembly. Mr. Whitcomb married in 1854 Mary A. Clark, a native of Williamson,
and a daughter of John and Elizabeth Clark, who were born in England, and came to
America, locating in Williamson first, then in Ontario, where they spent their last days.



FAMILY SKETCHES. 227

Woodhams, Owen, was born in Sussex, England, December 22, 1833. He is the
third child of a family of eleven children of James and Edith (Wren) Woodhams,
natives of England, and in 1850 came to Greece, where the father died in 1890, and the
mother now resides there at the age at eighty-six. Subject of this sketch was reared
on a farm, and in 1855 enlisted in Company A, 96th N. Y. Yol. Inf., and served until
the close of war. He owns a farm of eighty-seven acres and follows general farming.
Mr. Woodhams married in 1825 Ann Woodhams, a native of England and daughter of
Henry and Martha (Jenner) Woodhams, who came to America when Mrs. Woodhams
was a mere child. Henry Woodhams died in April, 1891, in Ontario, and his wife now
lives in the town at eighty years of age. Subject and wife have had ten children, of
whom five are now living : Albert E., Nettie, Elizabeth, William, and Thomas. The
family are members of, the Wesleyan Methodist church.

Waldorf, Reuben, was born in Columbia county, N. Y., in 1840. His father, Peter
Waldorf, now eighty-two years of age, is a resident of Clyde. His mother, Hannah,
died in 1884, leaving a family of ten children, of whom our subject is the sole represent-
ative in Wolcott. Until 1870 he remained at Clyde with his parents, purchasing at that
time the farm where he has since resided. February 16, 1869, he married Lottie,
daughter of Henry Sheldon, and of their four children two are now living, Henry, born
March 11, 1872, and Frank, born February 11, 1877. Lena, born June 26, 1873, died in
infancy, and May, born November 4, 1873, died when ten years old. The eldest son,
Harry, is a graduate of the 0. C. Seminary at Cazenovia, N. Y., and now occupies a
position as teacher at Leavenworth Institute, Wolcott, N. Y.

Wise, A. M., was born near Clyde, March 4, 1830, the eldest son of Amanzo and
Betsey Wise, who were among the earliest settlers in Galen. His wife is Julia, daughter
of David Waldruff, a prominent farmer and builder of Clyde. They were married De-
cember 19, 1854, and have four children : T. Jefferson, Alice, Frank, and Belle. In 1862
Mr. Wise purchased the blast furnace near Wolcott and operated it for eight years, after
which as senior member of Wise & Waldruff four years were spent in the manufacture
of lumber. With his eldest son, Jefferson, he is now engaged in farming and the
choicest portion of the 220 acres is devoted to the culture of grapes, berries and smaller
fruits. Jefferson married Susan Wadsworth, of Wolcott, who died August 8, 1889,
leaving no children.

Wilson, Emily J., the leading milliner of Wolcott, has been in business here for thirty
years, and for the latter half of that time at the present location, where by unremitting
personal attention accompanied with unusual sagacity, she has built up a large trade
in fashionable millinery and those accessories so dear to the feminine heart.

Waldorf. Jefferson, was born in the town of Galen, May 15, 1839. His parents,
David T. and Polly A. (Miller) Waldorf, reared a family of five sons and five daughters,
of whom but two sons and two daughters are now living. David Waldorf was engaged
in the custom milling business at Penn Yan, N. Y., and for some years a dealer in grain
and produce at Clyde, a prominent Democrat and a deputy sheriff. He died in 1888
when eighty-one years of age. Subject's wife was Mary A. Dillow, of Clinton, Oneida
county, whom he married February 22, 1865, and they have two children, Gisella, born
May 5, 1871, now a teacher in Leavenworth Institute at Wolcott, where she was grad-
uated in 1892 ; and Guy, born May 6, 1877. Mr. Waldorf has filled many positions of
trust and honor, and is very highly esteemed by all who know him.

Whitbourn, Joseph, was born in Ontario, October 19, 1862, the fifth child of seven
children born to Richard and Catharine (Guy) Whitbourn, natives of England, and came
to Canada about 1839, in 1860 to Ontario, and here lived and died. Mr. Whitbourn
was a carpenter by trade, but also followed farming and owned sixty- three acres of
land. He was killed by falling from a barn, and his wife resides with subject of sketch.



328 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY

Joseph was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools, has always been a
farmer, and now has charge of the old homestead. He is a Democrat, and is a member
of the K. 0. T. M. Cyrene Tent No. 203. He married, June 3, 1891, Mary A. Hennessey,
a native of Walworth and daughter of Thomas and Catharine Hennessey, who were
early settlers of Walworth, where he died in 1892. Mr. Whitbourn and wife have had
one child, Elizabeth, born October 6, 1893.

Waldo Horace, was born in Oneida county November 20, 1832, the fifth of a family
of six children born to Thomas and Esther (Beckwith) Waldo, natives of Oneida county,
and the grandparents on both sides were among the first settlers. The father of Thomas
Waldo was a captain in the French and Indian war. The father of Esther Beckwith
was Lemuel Beckwith, who with three brothers came to Oneida in a very early day.
Mr. Waldo died in June, 1836, and his wife September 6, 1880, aged eighty-three years.
Horace was educated in the Western University, followed farming; until he came to
Ontario in 1871, and was foreman in the Wayne County Mining Company eleven years,
since which time he has been farming, owns thirty acres of land, also property in Web-
ster. Mr. Waldo has always been a Democrat, and has been justice of the peace five
years, and has been excise commissioner three terms. Mr. Waldo married in 187G
Sallie H., widow of Richard Richmond, and daughter of Horace Hill. Horace Hill was
born in Macedon in 1799, and was a farmer and miller, and he and Ira Hill built the
Hill grist mill, now owned by Mr. Durfee. He was twice married, first Sallie Beach,
and had four children. His second wife was Clarissa Kingman, whom he married June
14, 1825, by whom he had three children, two daughters are living. Mr. Hill was a
Whig and Republican, and was highway commissioner and assessor. He settled in
Ontario in 1827, coming from Macedon. He first settled on the Hodge farm and then
on the Whitney farm. He came on the farm where Mr. Waldo now resides in 1854,
and died here March 10, 1883, and his wife died August 25, 1873, aged seventy-one
years. Mr. Waldo and wife are members of the Baptist Church, of which Mr. Waldo
has been deacon nine years. He had two children by his first wife, Louisa and Marie
Robinson. The only child by the second wife now living is Susan A. Mason of Albion.

Wager, D. M., son of the late Alfred and Gertrude E. Wager, was born at Amster-
dam September 1, 1847. At that time Alfred Wager was a grocer at Amsterdam, but
in 1653 purchased a farm in Galen. His success in life, which was marked, was with-
out doubt largely due to his unsullied personal integrity, and to th6 honest and straight-
forward character of his business methods ; qualities almost widely ascribed also to the
subject of the sketch. His death occurred September 8, 1893, at the age of seventy-
eight, and that of Gertrude his wife, a few months preceding. D. M. Wager married
March 4, 1872, Ella, daughter of William Sheldon, of Huron, widely known as an
inventor of several patent mechanical appliances for farm use. Widely known and
esteemed throughout eastern Wayne, his name a synonym for good fellowship and
unassuming integrity, such is D. M. Wager, of Wolcott.

Wilkinson, Joseph, of Macedon, was born in this town on the farm he now owns
August 13, 1833, a son of Joseph, a native of Dutchess county, who came to Wayne
county in 1830. In early life the latter was captain of a sloop, then became a general
merchant in Steuben county for ten years. Returning to this county he followed
farming until his death in 1857, aged seventy-three, fie married Mary, daughter of
William Smith, of Dutchess county, and they had twelve children, five now living.
Joseph has followed farming, and keeps a dairy of twenty head of cattle, selling milk
in the city of Rochester, and is also a stockholder in the Producer's Milk Company of
Rochester. His farm comprises 150 acres, mostly under cultivation. In 1855 he mar-
ried Elizabeth, daughter of William Lapham, and a descendant of the old pioneer family
so well known throughout this part of the county. Mr. and Mrs. Wilkinson have had
these childien: Gilbert R., William L., John C. and Minnie E. Mr. Wilkinson and
family aremembeis of the M. E. Church. He was assessor two years, and is a Granger.



FAMILY SKETCHES. 229

White, John T., a native of Schenectady county, was born May 2, 1810, the oldest of
fourteen children of Ichabod and Sarah (Tallman) White, natives of Dutchess county.
The paternal grandfather of subject was Ichabod White, a son of Ichabod, who died in
Duanesburgh, where the grandfather of subject also died. Father of subject died in
Schoharie county in 1856, and his wife in 1873. Subject started in life by farming,
and in 1851 came on the farm he owns of 113 acres, where he has since resided. He
was assessor fifteen years. He married December 29, 1861, Sallie B. Wilber, a native
of Schoharie county, by whom he has had seven children : Ruth, wife of Henry C.
King; William B., who married Mary Richmond ; John J., who married Augusta Wy-
man ; Artemus T., of Macedon, who married Abbie Smith; Mary S., wife of George
Gilbert, of South Dakota ; Edna, wife of Jerome Parker, of Walworth, and Elias R.,
who died in infancy. Mrs. White died July 27, 1894.

Williams, M. E., was born in Penfield, Monroe county, August 14, 1846, the oldest
son of eight children of Thomas and Sarah Heath, he a native of England and she of
Penfield. In 1828 he came to Penfield and in 1851 to West Walworth, where he has
since resided. Mrs. Williams died in November, 1893. Subject was reared a black-
smith, and learned the trade with his father. He has lived in West Walworth forty-
three years, and in 1890 bought a farm of sixty-five acres and follows general farming
and blacksmithing. He married in 1869 Frank, daughter of Avery Maine, and their
children are : Millie, Irvin and Cora. Millie is the wife of Albert Echler, by whom she
has two children, Ella and Albert. Mr. Williams was overseer of the poor three years.

Ward, Reuben, born at Wolcott, August 2, 1835, is the son of the late Joseph Ward,
a pioneer settler, who died in 1882 at the age of seventy-seven. Reuben spent nine
years of his earlier manhood farming in Michigan, and has since then been engaged in
the same business near North Wolcott. His first wife, by whom he had two children,
Benjamin and Emma, both now deceased, was Frances Burr, of Wolcott, who died in
1877. The second wife, who had no children, was Maria Raynor, who died January
23, 1884. The present mistress of his pleasant home, which commands a fine view of
Lake Ontario, and to whom he was united March 11, 1885, was Mrs. N Viele, a sister
of J. E. Dow, and they have one son, Reuben S., born December 29, 1885.

Wilson, George R., was born at Elbridge, Onondaga county, January 6, 1836. His
father, Riley Wilson, a builder and millwright, died in 1854 at the age of seventy, and his
mother, Belinda, died during his infancy. Mr. WiLon's residence in Wayne county
dates from 1844. Until 1881 his home was in Savannah, and since that time in South
Butler. His wife was Mary Gotham, of Elbridge, and their children are: Gorham J.,
Riley A., Addie A., and George W. Riley is a superintendent for the Wagner Car