to Wayne in 1812. The next day after their arrival the neighbors turned out and built
him a log cabin, and furnished bear meat for the family supper. Ethan B. Kellogg fol-
lowed farming through life and was a prominent man, holding the office of school com-
missioner and other offices. He died in 1880 in his seventy-third year. Henry Kel-
logg was educated in the Clyde High School, to which he has added through life by
reading and close observation. At the age of thirty-two he married Jennie, daughter
of Flavius B. Pomeroy, and they have one son, Lewis P. In 1879 he purchased his
father's estate, known as the Deacon Tunis I. Smith property of eighty acres, raising
fruit, hay, grain and stock. Our subject is identified in educational and religious mat-
Knapp, Allen, born in Walworth January 29, 1826, is the son of Charles and Mary
Knapp. The grandfather was Caleb Knapp, a native of Connecticut, who came to
Marion in a very early day and died on the farm he settled. He was a weaver by
trade. Charles Knapp was born in Marion in 1800, and educated in the common
schools. He followed farming, resided in Chautauqua county seven years, and finally
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
settled in Walworth, where he died in 1870. Subject was reared on a farm, and has
always followed farming. He owns seventy-five acres of land in Marion, having sold
a part of the farm he owned. He came to Marion in 1886, and has since lived a re-
tired life. Mr. Knapp married September 6, 1848, Caroline Shaw, a native of Marion,
236 LANDMARKS OP WAYNE COUNTY
born April 10, 1831, by whom he has had one son, Miles Knapp, a farmer of Palmyra.
He married Mahssa Bristol, of Lansing, Mich. Mrs. Knapp died March 10, 1894.
Kyle, David J., postmaster at North Wolcott, was born at Picton, Ont., September
24, 1846, and became a citizen of Wayne in 1862. His father, Joseph Kyle, is a
wealthy land owner in Ontario, but our subject was of too adventurous a disposition to
be content at home. He established a grocery and general store at North Wolcott in
1880, and received his appointment as postmaster October 1, 1893. January 23, 1870,
he married Genevieve, daughter of Timothy Isham, of Wolcott, who is still living at
the age of ninety-five. Of their eight children, five are now living.
Klumpp, Daniel, was born in Elsatz, France, in 1835, son of Philip and Sally Klumpp.
When fifteen years of age he came alone to America, coming direct to Clyde where he
learned the blacksmith trade. Five years later he moved to Sodus, where he conducted
a blacksmith shop until 1885. He then came to Lake Bluff, the popular pleasure summer
resort, and pnrchased a small piece of land, on which he erected a three-story hotel,
known as the Lakeview House, which he now conducts and where friends and strangers
are always welcomed by the genial landlord. In 1874 he married Lena Yaeckel, born
in Elsatz, France, and their children were: Mrs. Eva McMullen, of Sodus Centre;
Helen, Mrs. Lizzie Hendricks, of Sodus; Charles, E., Emma E., Mrs. Hattie Smith, of
Sodus; Edward E., and Frederick. His wife died in 1878, and in 1882 he married
Millie, daughter of Barrett Clary, of Sodus.
Kimball, S. F., the only son of George Kimball, of Sterling, Cayuga county, N. Y.,
was born March 1, 1838. George Kimball came here from Manlius in 1829. He and
his wife, Louise (Pulsifer), where shining lights in the M. E. church. He died May 14,
1881, at the age of eighty-two, and his wife two years later at an advanced age. Our
subject received but limited educational opportunities, and has always been a reader and
close observer. He has been honored with positions of local trust, attesting the esteem
and confidence of his friends. He is a staunch Democrat and has served as overseer of
the poor, assessor, and justice of the peace, etc. He began business life as a farmer in
Sterling, and came to Red Creek in 1865. He now makes a specialty of registered
Jersey cattle. February 15, 1860, he married Hannah, daughter of Walter Bloomingdale,
an old resident from Schoharie county, and they have two children : Melvin J., born
January 2, 1865 ; and Ray W., born June 23, 1878. Carrie, their first-born, died March
21, 1872, aged eleven years.
Jenkins, Burgess E., was born in Butler, March 13, 1848, and is the son of the late
James M. Jenkins, who died in 1879. and was a local preacher of considerable renown.
James Jenkins made his home upon a farm, but was prompt to respond to the call of
duty, an ordained minister of the M. E. church and widely known for his benevolence
and genuine piety. His wife, Pamelia Jane, died in 1884, leaving five children. Burgess
was educated at Red Creek Seminary, and at nineteen years of age began his business
life by embarking in the flax business with Charles W. Eddy as a partner. Ten years
later, in 1877, he became known as a builder and contractor, and at the present writing
is commissioner of highways, and a man whom to know is to honor. February 19,
1868, he married Aurelia, daughter of Josephus Cross, of Wolcott, and the mother of
seven children: Grace, Morris, Cora, Milton, Gertrude, Darrie, and Cecil. Cora died
April 18, 1874, in early childhood; and Morris, who had reached the age of twenty-two
and was engaged in telegraphic work in New Jersey, died there in July, 1893.
Jordan, J. S., was born in Galen, July 9, 1857. His father, William, was born in
England, and came to the United States and settled in Lyons. J. S. Jordan was edu-
cated in the common schools, to which he has added through life by reading and close
observation. At the age of twenty-six he marriod Hattie T., daughter of Moses Cook,
of Savannah, and they have one son, Lloyd S. At the age of fourteen he went to woik
FAMILY SKETCHES. 237
on a farm for Elias E. Rumells. In 1881 he went to the County House and took charge
of the insane department, in 1884 entered the employ of the West Shorer Railroad, also
bought and shipped produce, coal and wood, in which he still continues. Our subject
is a Republican in politics, is now serving his fourth term as trustee, and is now assessor
of the town. He takes an active interest in educational and religious matters.
Hopkins, W. A., was born in Lyons, April 27, 1850. His father, Robert A., was also
a native of the town. W. A. Hopkins was educated in the Lyons High School, to which
he has added through life by reading and close observation. In 1889 he established his
present business of grocer, confectioner and baker, and makes a specialty of fine teas
and coffees, and is one of the leading men in his line of business. At the age of twenty-
one he married Sallie A., daughter of Gideon Robinson, of Lyons. Subject takes an
active interest in educational and religious matters.
Hoag, Isaac R., Macedon, was born in the town of Walworth, March 8, 1838.
Humphrey, his father, was born in Macedon (then known as Palmyra), December 22,
1810, and at present is living with our subject at Macedon. He married Rachael Briggs,
of Scipio, Cayuga county, who was born in 1815. They had four children, two now
living : Marion L., and our subject. His occupation has been farming, but for the past
four years he has lived retired with his son. The Hoags are one of the old families in
this section, dating back for many years. Our subject was educated in the district
schools of this State, was supervisor of the towns of Walworth and Macedon, and in
early life was engaged in the grocery business, which he conducted in Trenton, N. J.
He then came to Wayne county and took up farming. He married, March 15, 1865,
Mary E. Wright, of Pennsylvania, and they have two children and one adopted daughter.
He is at present road commissioner.
Hickox, William, of Macedon Centre, was born in Canandaigua, Ontario county,
September 2, 1840. Zopher Hickox, his father, was also born in Canandaigua. He was
a farmer and died in 1863, aged fifty-three years. He married Sallie M. Mallory, of
Canandaigua, and they had four children : Martha A., Mary E., William (our subject),
and Henry H. Mary E. and Henry H. are deceased ; Martha A. is now living in Gales-
ville, Wis. The family is one of the old settlers in New York State. The grandfather,
George, was a military officer, was one of the first settlers in Ontario county, helping to
clear the land where the city of Canandaigua now stands, was the first man to bring
goods from Albany to Canandaigua, transporting them with oxen and cart or sled.
There were no houses at that time and he was obliged to sleep out in his sled. Subject
is a farmer and has a fruit and berry farm, producing about 10,000 quarts of the different
qualities. He married first Jennie R^y, of Phelps, Ontario county, daughter of William
Roy. They had these children : M. Belle, J. Elton, George S., E. Grace, and Albert R.
The first wife died in 1883, and he married second, in 1887, Susan, daughter of Samuel
S. Wilber, of Manchester, Ontario county, by whom he had one child, Henry H. Our
subject was educated in Macedon Academy, and is a member of the order of S. F. I.
Hurley, N. A., was born in Clyde August 19, 1876. His father, Dennis Hurley, was
a native of the province of Quebec, Lower Canada, and came to Clyde in 1864. N. A.
Hurley was educated at the Clyde High School and entered the employ of E. Sands,
remaining three years. In the spring of 1893 he established his present business, carry-
ing a large line of imported and domestic groceries and also a full stock of crockery. At
the age of eighteen he married Lizzie, daughter of Dennis Sheehan. Our subject is
identified in advancing the best interests of the town, and is a trustee of St. John's
Hibbard, Fremont, born at Butler, July 5, 1856, is the only son of the late Jerome
Hibbard, and joint proprietor with his sister Nettie of the Hibbard Basket Works, the
most important industry of South Butler. All the machinery used at this factory was
238 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
designed by Mr. Jerome Hibbard, and evinces not only his superior mechanical ability,
but stands a monument to his energy and sagacity. He died April 4, 1888, at the age
of fifty- eight years, and his memory will long be cherished for his many good qualities
and generosity. Fremont Hibbard married, April 25, 1889, Marian, daughter of Andrew
Piersall, of Savannah.
Haugh, Frank A., was born in the village of Clyde. His father, John Haugh, was a
native of the town of Galen and is a prominent farmer of his town. Frank A. Haugh
was educated at Clyde and has always lived in this town. At the age of twenty-four
he married Kittie Hallett, daughter of Horace B. Hallett, and they are the parents of
two children, Lena and Leora. Mr. Haugh is one of the best known men in the town,
and has held office as town clerk and deputy postmaster.
Hunt, William, was born in Farmington. Ontario county, March 25, 1832, a son of
Micajah and Sarah (Gardner) Hunt, who settled in Walworth in 1844. The father died
there in 1880, and the mother in 1860. The grandparents were Micajah and Sarah
(Nichols) Hunt, whose parents came from England. Our subject was educated in the
Macedon CeDter Academy and first engaged in the fruit tree business for ten years. He
married in 1863 Alice, daughter of Samuel and Louise (Reed) Knowles, of Rensselaer-
ville, and they have these children: Lilian, wife of Loren Hill, of Iowa; Miriam, of
Nebraska ; Jessie, Carrie, and Cora, all of whom are teachers. Mr. Hunt is a farmer
and makes a specialty of fruit evaporating, the raising of garden truck, etc. They are
members of the Free Will Baptist church.
Harris, Calvin P., was born in Penfield May 14, 1857, son of Peter and Ellen (Bur-
rows) Harris, natives of Penfield. The paternal grandfather of our subject was a native
of Scotland, who came to Penfield at an early d?iy where he died. The maternal grand-
father was Amos Burrows, a native of Connecticut, who died in Rochester in 1874.
His wife was Sallie Cornwell, a native of Connecticut. He was a soldier in the war of
1812. The father of subject is a farmer and resides in Penfield. Subject has always
been a farmer, and owns 100 acres. He married in 1878 Ella C. Butler, a native of
Detroit, Mich., and daughter of Amasa and Esther Butler, who reside in East Penfield.
Mr. Harris and wife have had four children : Arthur P., Ellen L., Esther H. and Donald
D. The great-grandfather of subject was Joseph Burrows, a native of Connecticut,
whose parents came in the Mayflower and settled in Connecticut. Joseph Burrows
was in the war of the Revolution, an aid to Washington. He died in Penfield in
Hoagland, Charles B., born in Williamson May 2, 1859, is the youngest of two sons
of William and Harriet (Luce) Hoagland. The grandfather, Albert, came to William-
son about 1825, and purchased a farm where subject now resides. He died July 25,
1852. His wife, Elizabeth, died January 20, 1865. William was reared on the home-
stead in Williamson. He made many improvements and increased it to 208 acres,
which he left to the family. His wife, Harriet, was a daughter of William Luce, who
was one of the pioneers of Palmyra. Their son Albert was born July 15, 1854. He
married Mattie Cady, followed farming, and died February 28, 1893. He left one son,
Willie. Mr. Hoagland died June 12, 1893, and his wife April 26, 1892. C. B. Hoag-
land was educated in Marion, Walworth and Williamson, and has always followed
farming on the homestead. He now has 104 acres of land, and carries on general farm-
ing. November 25, 1884, he married Nellie, daughter of William Reed, of Ontario,
Wayne county, by whom he has two children : Blanche and Stanley. Mr. Hoagland
is at present road commissioner of the town. He is a member of Williamson Grange,
and of the Williamson Tent, No. 162, K. O. T. M.
Hoag, Benjamin H., was born in Walworth March 14, 1849, the fifth of six children
born to Hiram C. and Sallie A. Wyman, daughter of Abel B. Wyman, of Walworth,
FAMILY SKETCHES. 239
one of the early settlers in the town. Hiram C. was born in Macedon in 1818, son of
Benjamin Hoag, one of the first settlers of Macedon. He is a farmer and resides in
West Walworth, where he has resided since 1857. He enlisted in Company B, 9th
Heavy Artillery, and served three years. Benjamin H. Hoag was reared on a farm, at
fourteen years old learned the harness trade and followed it ten years in West Wal-
worth, and in 1878 went to Kansas, where he was engaged in farming ten years and
returned to Ontario and settled on the S. N. Maine farm, where he has since resided.
He has sixty acres and follows general farming. He is a Republican and married De-
cember 24, 1868, Jennie Maine, a native of Ontario and daughter of Stephen N. Maine,
a native of Connecticut, who came to Ontario in 1836, and settled on the farm now
owned by Mr. Hoag. His father, Stephen Maine, was also a native of Connecticut,
came to Ontario in 1836, and died here in 1864. His wife was Lucinda Ray, a native
of Vermont, who died in 1851. The wife of Stephen H. Maine died in 1878, and Mr.
Maine resides with his daughters. Mr. Maine was supervisor ten years, county super-
intendent of schools for some years, and taught school twenty-one terms. He married
Cornelia Pratt, a native of Williamson, and daughter of Alvah Pratt, one of the first
settlers of Williamson. Mr. Maine and wife have had five children, of whom two are
living : Mrs. Hoag and Dr. Maine, of Webster. Mr. Hoag and wife have had two
children : Cora, wife of Thomas Ransley, by whom she has two children, Benjamin D.
Murray, and Esca, at home.
Hennessy, Dr. W. J., is a native of Rochester, born in 1856, educated at the Victor
Union School, Macedon Academy and Syracuse University, graduating from the latter
in 1881. He began the study of medicine with Dr. C. M. Kingman, of Palmyra, in
1877, and graduated from the Syracuse Medical College in 1881. He practiced at
Palmyra till 1883, then moved to Valley Center, Kan., where he practiced till April,
1884, when he returned to Palmyra and has since practiced here. He married in 1883
Minnie, daughter of J. C. Lovett, dry goods merchant of Palmyra, and they have had
one son, who died in infancy. Mrs. Hennessy died in May, 1884, and October 29,
1888, Dr. Hennessy married May, daughter of Henry Birdsall, of Palmyra, and they
have had one son and one daughter. Dr. Hennessy was trustee of the village in 18B9-
93; president of Wayne County Medical Society 1889-90, and has been health officer
for the past seven years.
Hillimire, Anson, a native of Germany, was born in 1824, and came to America in
1849, locating at East Palmyra. In 1852 he married Celestia Cole, and a few years
afterward purchased 107 acres of land, where he now resides. He makes a specialty of
growing and distilling peppermint. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Hillimire are: David,
deceased ; Edwin, Kittie, deceased, and Frederick.
Hill, Joseph G., graduate Toronto Veterinary College, was born at Sennett, Cay-
uaga county, N. Y., January 16, 1864. His earlier education was acquired at the Mon-
roe Collegiate Institute, after which he spent three years at Toronto, graduating with
high honors, besides holding special dental and medical diplomas. January 11, 1893,
he married Ida Barrell, of Wolcott. Dr. Hill began practice at Weedsport, but is now
located at Red Creek, where his manifest ability and genial nature have already given
him a wide clientele.
Hoag, Jefferson W., was born and reared on a farm in the town of Arcadia, Wayne
county, N. Y. While preparing for college he taught a district school for one term and
for two terms taught in the Canandaigua Academy. He prepared for college at the
Newark Academy, under the principalship of J. Forman Steele. He entered the class
of 1870 at Union College, and graduated with that class. After his graduation he en-
gaged in teaching, for two years as principal of Leavenworth College at Wolcott, N. Y.
He graduated from the Albany Law School in 1873, and was then admitted to practice
as attorney at law. Shortly after being admitted to the bar, he opened an office at
240 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
Wolcott, N. Y., where he has ever since been engaged in the practice of his profession.
In 1882 he was elected district attorney for Wayne county and served three years in
that capacity. In 1877 he married Ada H. Rowland, of Newark, N. Y.
Hoff, Hubbard, a veteran soldier, who is a familiar figure at Red Creek, and whose
disabilities are a constant reminder of those " times that tried men's souls," was born in
Schoharie county, June 2, 1826. His father, R. C. Hoff, came here in 1834 and en-
gaged in mercantile life. Hubbard learned the trade of cabinet making, which he
practiced in various cities of the State until August 28, 1862, when he enlisted in the
160th N. Y. S. Vols, as hospital steward. At the battle of Winchester he was severely
wounded by a shell, subjecting him to a weary confinement in the hospital, a long con-
valescence at home, and causing permanent lameness. July 28, 1847, he married Mary
G. Rassmussen, of Sterling, and they haye two children: William D., born September
10, 1848, and Ives P., born November 26, 1852.
Hyde, J. H., is the only son of Harlow Hyde, who came to Wolcott in 1807, when
four years of age, and whose father, Zenos Hyde, was the first practicing physician in
Wolcott. Harlow Hyde, now ninety-two years of age, and in possession of all his
faculties, is in many ways a remarkable man. He is the oldest living ex-supervisor of
Wolcott, was for twenty years a justice, and a Repubhcan assemblyman from 1856 to
1860. James H., when eleven years old, was by an accident deprived of an eye, not-
withstanding which he acquired a good education, and in 1862 accepted the lieutenancy
of Company A., 138th Inf., and went at once to the front, participating in the battles
of Monocacy Junction, Petersburg, Cold Harbor, and Cedar Creek. At the latter, while
in command of cavalry, ke was shot through the arm and unhorsed. He married in
1850 Sarah A. Avery, who lost her life while caring for sick soldiers at Alexandria, Va.,
and whose four sons are also now deceased.
Hoyt, A. W., a veteran of the Civil War, was born at Weedsport, Cayuga county,
November 5, 1846, the youngest son of Aaron F. Hoyt. At sixteen years of age, a
student at Weedsport, he enlisted in Battery I, 3d N. Y. Light Artillery. His ex-
perience during the war possessed more than the usual vicissitudes of a soldier's life, and
during an expedition to Plymouth, N. O, he received injuries which culminated in the
loss of an eye, and for disability he was discharged in July, 1865, after three years of
service. It is a fact worthy of note that he was the youngest of five brothers: William,
Aaron, Abner, Judson, and Adin, all of whom were in the service and in the same com-
pany and regiment.
Hawley, William, is the son of Aaron Hawley, for many years a prominent builder
and contractor at Albany, N. Y. William, born in New York city, September 30, 1819,
and educated at Albany, came to Wolcott in 1834, and was for a period of ten years en-
gaged in the mercantile business at Red Creek. Afterwards adopting agriculture as his
principal vocation he has achieved a signal success, being one of the largest landholders
of this locality, and his farms are adorned with large and handsome buildings. In 1849
he married Sophia Hamilton, of Victory, Cayuga county, and they have two sons,
Aaron, born in 1850, and Charles H, born in 1857. Sophia Hawley died in 1863, and
Mr. Hawley's present wife was Miss Hannah Ward, of Wolcott, Mr. Hawley has been
a steadfast Republican all his life.
Hoyt, George H., was born near Dexter, Me., in the town of Ripley, September 6,
1825, a son of George W. Hoyt, who was a native of Bradford, N. H. George H. was
educated in the common schools of Bradford and at the Francistown Academv. His
parents died when he was three years of age, and he journeyed through Maine into
New Hampshire, a distance of 250 miles and resided with his grandfather on the farm
until reaching his majority. After various experiences he came in 1850 to Newark,
Wayne county, and in 1854 returned to_Concord,jN. H. That year he married Mary H.,
FAMILY SKETCHES. 241
daughter of Jonathan Scribner, of Salisbury, N. H., and they have had three children :
George H., jr., Carrie, now Mrs. Green ; and Lillie, now Mrs. Barnard, of Baltimore,
Md. In 1857 Mr. Hoyt came with his wife to Clyde, where he engaged in the grocery
business, continuing up to 1861, when he entered the employ of William C. Ely at the
glass works, being soon after appointed agent for Dr. Linus Ely in the same business.
Dr. Ely was succeeded by Orrin Southvvick, and in 1868 Mr, Hoyt became a partner in
the firm of Southwick, Reed & Co., they being succeeded by Ely, Reed & Co., which
firm continued up to the time of the death of William C. Ely in 1886. The firm was
then reorganized and continued under the style of William C. Ely's Sons & Hoyt,
manufacturers of fruit jars and glass bottles. Our subject is recognized as one of the
conservative men of his town, and has always been identified in advancing its best
interests. He is a trustee of the M. E. church of Clyde.
Warren, Gardiner D., was born in the town of Sodus July 8, 1827, a son of Gardiner,
and a grandson of Samuel Warren, the first of the family to settle in Wayne county.
He came from Cheshire, N. H., with his family, consisting of his wife and six sons,
arriving in 1807, on an ox sled. The place was a wilderness, and many trials and
hardships were met by this pioneer family, which became one of the first in importance
in the county. His son, Gardiner, father of our subject, came to South Sodus, where
he died. He was a farmer and also engaged in the mercantile trade. For several
years he was county superintendent of the poor, and was a leading member of the
South Sodus M. E. church. He married Abigal Davis, and their children were: Aldace
P., Gardiner D., and Mary E. The latter married C. T. Cure, and settled in Grant
City, Mo. Aldace P. settled at South Sodus and was for several years a major in the
old State militia. He was for twenty-eight years a justice of the peace, and for thirty
years engaged in the mercantile trade. He removed to Ohio, where he died December
12, 1881. Gardiner D. was engaged in the dry goods trade at South Sodus for five
years, prior to 1852, when he went to New York city, and for fourteen years was en-
gaged in jobbing. In 1872 he formed the jobbing house of S. J. Arnold & Co., from
which firm he retired in 1878, then went to Chicago and formed the firm of Lee,
Reynolds & Warren, wholesale dealers in buffalo robes. In 1881 Mr. Warren retired
from business, returning to Sodus, but he spends his winters in the South. In 1866 he