George Washington Cowles.

Landmarks of Wayne County, New York online

. (page 92 of 107)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

married Ann De Kay, who died in 1882.

Hill, Charles H., was born at Sodus Point in 1838, and is a son of John Hill, who
came from Oswego to Sodus Point in 1837. His father served in the war of 1812.
The family is of English descent and trace their ancestry back to 1640, when he first
came to this country and settled in Connecticut. The grandfather of John Hill settled
in Yermont and his father settled in Jefferson county. John Hill was a carpenter and
builder and for many years carried on an extensive business. He resided at Sodus
Point until 1865, when he removed to New York and entered the employ of the
N. Y. C. & H. R. R. R. as master carpenter. He was a member of the State militia and
was adjutant. He married Jerusha C, daughter of Capt. Samuel Freeman, who was a
merchant trader to the West Indies. Their children were : Edward, Charles H., Mary
E., John J., and Helen A. Charles H. Hill settled at Sodus Point. He is a carpenter
and builder and has a large and prosperous business. For three years he carried on the
business at Albany, N.Y. He takes an active part in political affairs, and was a deputy
collector of customs at Sodus Point from 1889 to 1893. He married October 18, 1866.
Mary E. Waters, of Pultneyville, N.Y.

Gordon. John, son of David and Polly Gordon, was born October 14, 1807, in Carlisle,
N.Y., was the eldest of a family of ten children. His parents were of German and
Scotch descent, and moved from Carlisle to Galen when John was about six years
old, and purchased near Lockpit what is now called the Burton farm. John re-
mained on the farm with his father until he was twenty-one years of age,



242 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.

attended the district school winters and summers whenever his father could spare him
from work, where he obtained what was called in those days a good education. In 1831
he had accumulated by his industry enough to enable him to purchase a farm of i 44 acres,
which he occupied at his death. It was a dense forest when he purchased it. In 1835
he married Pboebe, daughter of Jedediah and Mary Jenkins. She was born Novem-
ber 15, 1807, in Queensburg, N. Y., and moved with her parents to Galen when twelve
years old. So both may be classed among the early settlers. By their united industry
they built up the home which they occupied fifty-five years. They had eight children,
three of whom are living: Clarissa, Dora O, and T. Adelbert. He was a very success-
ful farmer, raising grain, hay, fruit and stock. During the spring of 1891 both passed
away, April 14th the wife died and May 17th the husband. Adelbert, the only son
living, lives on the homestead. He was married to Hattie, daughter of Roswell Crane,
of Waterloo, February 26, 1889, and now has five children : Olive, Amy, Lillian May,
and twins, Hiram and John. " There ever existed between them and between the
members of their family uninterrupted domestic concord and felicity. In all things the
members of the household, by influence of the conjugal example, have been affectionate,
faithful and true to each other. As citizens their life was not conspicuous before the
world, but their influence was none the. less effective and salutary, since it is ever true
that the power of virtue is inherent in itself and cannot be lost, though there be no
tongue to herald it abroad. A long life of integrity and honor has an earthly im-
mortality, the dying breath does not fade it out. As religionists they were broad of
faith and unrestrained and sincere in charity. As citizens they are public spirited, in-
telligent and patriotic. As parents they were affectionate, wise and faithful. As
neighbors they were neighborly. In character they were a noble man and woman.
They had lived together so long and tenderly, had so grown to become one in their
union that they could not live apart. The stroke that sundered them served to reunite
them, the husband surviving the wife but a few weeks."

Arnold, William T., was born in Perry, Wyoming county. December 16, 1832. His
father, George, was a native of Yorkshire, England, came to America in 1830 and in
1835 settled in Sodus, purchasing a farm of eighty acres on the lake road, northeast of
the village, where he lived until his death, December 16, 1887. He was a prominent
member of the Sodus M. E. church. He married Catherine Wride, and they had one
son, William T., our subject. He settled on the homestead and is a prosperous farmer.
He married Elizabeth, daughter of William Hewson, and they have two children :
George, who married Sarah Drake, and Charles, who married Elizabeth Swailes, both
settled in Sodus.

Hartman, P. T., was born in Tuscola county, Mich., August 28, 1858. His father,
Joseph, was a native of Wayne county, and retired in 1860. P. T. Hartman was edu-
cated in Lyons Union School, after leaving which he farmed two years, and then en-
gaged as clerk in the hardware business with Col. William Kreutzer, then associated
with the express company two years and then entered the employ of E. G. Leonard
for five years and then went to Canandaigua with George B. Anderson and returned to
Lyons in the spring of 1880, and entered into partnership with F. L. Breisch, the firm
name Breisch & Hartman, carrying one of the largest stocks of dry goods, cloaks, car-
pets and notions in Wayne county. The firm originally located at 36 Canal street, but
in 1892 removed to the Parshall Memorial building, occupying two floors, with a depth
of 120 and width of 50 feet. P. T. Hartman married at twenty-nine Ada, daughter of
James S. Hickox, of Canandaigua, Ontario county, and they have two children : P. H.
Hartman and Ruth M. Hartman. Our subject is one of the leading merchants in his
town, taking an intelligent interest in educational and religious matters, and is recog-
nized as a man of sterling integrity and worth.

Swift, Elisha T., born in Sullivan county, N. Y., July 17, 1818, is the second of a
of four sons and four daughters of Silas and Elizabeth Swift, pioneers of William-



FAMILY SKETCHES. 243

son, coming there from Sullivan county, N. Y. They went to Michigan leaving Elisha
T., who was about 14 years of age, with Mr. Smith of Marion with whom he remained
till of age. He commenced business for himself in a saw mill, manufacturing and selling-
pumps. He then engaged in the cooper business in Walworth, exchanged this business
for a farm in Walworth which he traded for the farm in Williamson, where he now resides.
Here he was also engaged in the lumber business a few years. He made nearly all of
the improvements on the farm. Mr. Swift has been three times married, first to Cath-
erine Rounserville, aud after her death to Martha Wake, who died in 1873 and by whom
he has one son and three daughters, two now deceased, Emma and Jennie. He married
third Maria S. (Evans) Harding, daughter of Luther and Elizabeth (Howland) Evans,
natives of Massachusetts, who went to Michigan in 1844, where he died in 1851, and
his wife in 1858. Mrs. Swift came to Palmyra at the age of fourteen years. She mar-
ried first John Harding, by whom she has one son, Fred, a farmer in Nebraska. Mr.
Harding died 1866 and she married Mr. Swift, by whom she has one daughter Lizzie D.
Mr. Swift has for some time been disabled by paralysis, and Mrs. Swift now has charge
of the farm. They have 103 acres, and are engaged in general farming and fruit raising.
They attended and supported the M. E. church until the few last years.

Le Vanway, Joseph, father of Henry W., was a native of France, and was an orphan
at the age of ten years. He was bound out to a man and brought to America when
twelve years old, and after serving his time he married Margery Moore, she being of
German descent. He engaged in agricultural pursuits, purchasing a farm in Peru,
Clinton county, and gave it his entire attention for several years. He then engaged
extensively in the lumbering business, sometimes employing 100 men, and took the lar-
gest raft of lumber to Quebec that had ever been taken there, which covered four acres
of water. He sold his property in Clinton county and bought a farm in St. Lawrence
county. The children of Joseph and Margery Le Vanway were as follows : Betsey,
Doras. Julia, Harriet, George, Harrison, Hardy, Wellington (who is a minister), Henry
W. (our subject), Hardy 2d, Adeline, Anderson (who was a doctor) and Charles N.,
who left his law office and raised a company of men and went into the War of the
Rebellion, where he was killed at the battle of Shiloh, while acting in place of Colonel
Bosworth, of the 34th Illinois regiment. The brothers all grew to be temperate, with
one exception. When Mr. Le Vanway went to St. Lawrence county the whole territory
was a dense forest, and he took with him his seven sons to assist him in felling trees
and clearing the land. Henrv W., not liking the wild forest so well, started out for
himself when only sixteen years of age, and on arriving in Wayne county among
strangers, had only three shillings left. He engaged as a farm hand on his arrival, and
now is the owner of one of the finest farms in the county, consisting of 200 acres of
fine land (fifty of which, however, he has sold to his daughter). He is now the only
survivor of his father's family. The father died in 1841, and the mother in 1860. At
the age of twenty-eight our subject married Cynthia D., daughter of Alanson S. Curtis,
and they had two children : Alanson H., who died aged four years and Edra A., wife
of R. R. Barnes, a clothier, of Clyde. Mrs. Le Vanway died July 18, 1894.

Brundige, Cornelius O., was born at Fishkill, N. Y., in 1827 and is of German descent.
Alvah, his father, was born in 1799 and died in 1874. He was a son of Abram who
served in the War of 1812. Alvah Brundige came from Fishkill in 1838 and settled in
Lyons, purchasing of Daniel Paul a farm of seventy-six acres. He was a leading mem-
ber of the South Sodus M. E. church. By trade he was a blacksmith and edged tool
maker, and carried on that business after coming to Wayne county. He married Bar-
bara A. Ostrander, and their children were : Harvey, who settled in Huron and is a
farmer; he married Sophia Upson. Catherine married Myron M. Alden, of Lyons.
Emily, who is unmarried. Margaret A., who died unmarried. Abraham, who enlisted
in 1862 in the 8th N. Y. Heavy Artillery and served till the close of the war; he mar-
ried Hattie Davis and settled first in Sodus and later at Niagara Falls. Much of his life



244 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.

was spent in teaching and he died in 1891. Mary E. married David S. Dawes and
settled near Weedsport, N. Y. Alson died in childhood, Cornelius O., first settled in
the town of Lyons but soon after settled near South Sodus. He is a veterinary surgeon
by profession, but for eighteen years was an extensive apple buyer. In 1890 he was
elected justice of the peace, is a member of the South Sodus M. E. church and Lyons
Grange. He married in 1851 Lucy, daughter of Jonathan H. Lamson, of Lyons, and
their children are: Alice A. (Mrs. Cornelius B. Horton, of Sodus) ; Lucy E. (Mrs. Oscar
H. Sweet, of Rochester) ; and Kate E. (Mrs. William Munn, of Lyons).

Lyman, Samuel, and Clementina (Evarts) Lyman were born in Salisbury, Conn., the
former August 18, 1794, the latter July 7, 1793. They removed to Rose (then Wolcott),
N.Y., in February, 1818, coming with sled and oxen, and were seventeen days on the
road. They endured with patience and hope the privations and discomforts incident to
all settlers of a new heavily timbered country, subject to malarial diseases, from the
annual drying of undrained swamps. For a number of winters Mr. Lyman taught
school, and his help-mate, taking advantage of a trade learned in Connecticut, sup-
plied many of her neighbors with that indispensable article of feminine attire, a bon-
net, and by united efforts they succeeded in keeping the wolf from the door. Their
children were: Caroline, born, May 7. 1817; John, born April 28, 1819; Mary, born
May 16. 1821; Charles and David (twins), born February 7, 1824; Lavius H., born
April 15, 1828; Frederick, born July 21. 1830; Flavia E., born May 31, 1833; Samuel
E., born June 16, 1836. Samuel Lyman died May 28, 1877, his wife having died
June 25, 1870. In politics Mr. Lyman was a partisan only in so far as he believed the
action of his party to be in line with public interests and individual rights. He was
originally a Democrat, but in the Morgan excitement he became an anti-Mason, and,
in succession, a Whig, Liberty party man, Free Soiler, and, last of all, a Republican.
He was the leading abolitionist of Rose, and occasionally his house was used as a
station on the underground railroad. He was also one of the earliest temperance
men, and the first cold water raising in town was that of a barn built by him in 1830,
where the cold water and hot water forces met in a trial of strength, and for a while
the result seemed doubtful, one party raising up and the other party pulling down ;
but the hot water men were finally beaten, and with bruised fingers and trailing
colors abandoned the contest. They succeeded some half dozen times in forcing back
the first bent after it had taken quite a start upward, and at the next attempt, when
the beam had reached the proper height to make the action effective, a stout beechen
lever in the hands of Elizur Flint was swept along its length, to the detriment of
numerous fingers that were tugging at its upper instead of its under side, and the
bent moved steadily to its place, to the great disgust of the whiskyites, a near by
whiskey seller saying he would rather have given $5 than to see the barn go up ; but
the joke was, he had no $5 to give. Conspicuous among the men who stood for the
right on that occasion were Elizur Flint, Chauncey Bishop, Stephen Collins, Joel N.
Lee, Rev. Ansel Gardiner, and C. W. Fairbank. Samuel Lyman was social, humorous,
wittv, a good story-teller, intelligent, argumentative, honest, and his motto was: ''Do
Right."

Boss, Cornelius, born in Sodus April 6, 1856, is the fifth of nine children of Isaac
and Sarah (Dedee) Boss, natives of Holland, who came to America in 1854 and
settled in Williamson on a farm. He bought a farm in Sodus, where he resided till
1865, when he went to Michigan for a year. He returned to Sodus, again buying a
farm, which he sold and bought the farm, a part of which is now owned by our sub-
ject. He died April 3, 1887, and his wife March 29, 1880. Subject was reared on a
farm and educated in Sodus and Marion. He married, April 7, 1880, Annie, daughter
of Frank and Mary (Lawrence) Leroy, natives of Holland. Mr. and Mrs. Boss have
one son and one daughter: Frank O, born September 6, 1886, and Jessie May, born
July 13, 1891. Mr. Leroy died in 1866, and Mrs. Leroy resides in Marion. Mr. Boss



FAMILY SKETCHES. 245

has always been engaged in farming, and makes a specialty of fruit growing. He is a
member of the Grange, and is also a member of Security Tent, K. 0. T. M.

Ford, Charles H., was born in Utica, October 19, 1861. His father, Harvey Ford,
was a well known contractor and builder throughout Oneida and Herkimer counties.
Charles H. Ford was educated in the common schools and finished at the Whitestown
Seminary, then went to Auburn and engaged in the tobacco trade; in 1882 came to
Clyde and established his present business as jobber in tobacco and cigars. In 1889 he
was elected trustee of the village, in 1890 supervisor, and re-elected in 1891. He was
appointed the same year superintendent of section 8, of the Erie Canal, resigned in
1893, and was appointed under Governor Flower sheriff of Wayne county in the spring
of 1894. At the age of twenty-five he married Miss Emma W. Gilbert, daughter of
Horace Gilbert, of Auburn, and are the parents of one son, Vivian Ford. Our subject
is identified in advancing the best interests of his town and county and leading events of
the day. He is a member of the fire department for ten years, foreman, and drill
master for six years ; also member of Clyde Lodge No. 300, Wayne Encampment of
Newark ; Canton Galen No. 49, of which he is the present commander.

Eaton, William L., was born in Marion, February 20, 1841, and is the son of Ira and
Almira (Hall) Eaton, she being the first white child born in the town of Marion. Mr.
Eaton settled in Marion after his marriage and came to Ontario, where he died. His
wife died January 20, 1894. William Eaton was educated in the common schools of
Ontario, and went to Pultneyville to learn the miller's trade with J. B. Craggs, and
worked at Ontario and at Sodus Point. He came to Williamson in 1873, and built the
present mill, and formed a partnership with Thomas Seeley, which continued until
1878, when he entered into partnership with J. A. Eidgeway, which was dissolved in
1880. He has since continued the business alone. He has the full roller process, with
a capacity of fifty barrels per day and grinds about 25,000 to 30,000 bushels of wheat
yearly, and about 20,000 bushels of coarse grain. Mr. Eaton has served as excise com-
missioner, but devotes his energies mainly to his farm. In 1866 he married Eebecca
Jackson, of Williamson, and they have two children : Mary, wife of Alfred J. Paget,
who assists his father-in-law in the mill; and Clarence W., who is at home. Our
subject is a member of the Pultneyville Lodge No. 159, F. & A. M., and he and his
family are members of the M. E. church. Mr. and Mrs. Paget have one daughter,
Gladys.

Young. Dr. Augustus A., was born in the town of Clay, Onondaga county, November
8, 1849. He was educated in the public schools, two years in Cazenovia Seminary, and
in Syracuse University, graduating from the liberal art department in June, 1876, with
the degree of B.S. The same year he entered the medical department of Syracuse
University, graduating June 25, 1879, with the degree of M.S., and immediately began
to practice with much success at Newark. August 18, 1879, he married Sarah E.,
daughter of John M. Carver, of Mallory, Oswego county. They have one adopted
daughter, A. Marguerite, who is a student in the academy. The doctor's father, Peter
J., was born at the old home in 1819. He was educated iu the schools of his day, was
a farmer by occupation, and married Catherine Somers, of Schoharie county, N. Y., by
whom he had two children : Gilbert T., and Augustus A. His grandfather, Jacob V.
Young, was born at Hinesville, Schoharie county, N.Y. He married Isabell McNaughton,
of Onondaga county, and they had four children : Mary, John, Elizabeth, and Peter, jr.
Jacob V. was a soldier in the war of 1812. Dr. Young is a member of the Wayne
County Medical Society, the Central New York Society, also of the New York State
Medical Association, and Fellow of the Academy of Medicine of Syracuse. He is also
a member of the American Microscopical Society. He has contributed articles to
medical and other papers, and is also president of the Pension Examining Board at
Lyons. He is a member of the Newark Lodge No. 83, F. & A. M., also of Newark
Lodge No. 250, I. 0. O. F., and health officer of Newark the past six years.



246 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY

Wride, William, was born in Yorkshire, England, whence he came to the United
States in 1S30, and settled in the town of Sodus, on the Lake Road. With him, or
about that time, came his sons, Robert, John, William, jr., and James. Robert, born
in 1803, came to America in 1831 and settled at Perry, N. Y., where he lived until
1835, then removed to the town of Sodus, settling on the Lake Road, then two years
later near the Centenary M. E. Church, where he has since resided. The family were
among the early Methodists of the town, Robert being a leading member of the Cen-
tenary Church, and largely responsible for its erection. John Wride settled at Geneva,
soon after coming to Sodus. James settled in Huron, and became one of the influential
farmers of the town. He was deputy collector of customs for several years at Port
Gibson, and was justice of the peace a number of years. He married Martha Sowerby,
and their children who lived to maturity were : Fletcher, George S., and Alice, now
Mrs. S. S. Granger. After the death of Mr. Wride his widow married William Hew-
son (deceased), of Sodus.

Walch, Edward, was born in Schenectady December 25, 1861, received his higher
education at the Union school, then learned the tinsmith's trade, then entered a boiler
shop and learned the machinist's trade, and afterwards learned blacksmithing. Going
to Paterson, N. J., he entered the Rogers Locomotive Works, and six months later en-
tered the employ of the Danforth & Cook Locomotive Co., still later in the Grant Loco-
motive Works, and then went to New York and entered the employ of Fletcher &
Harrison, in their marine shop. He next went to McNeil's Iron Works in Brooklyn,
and then engaged with the Scranton Locomotive Works. He then obtained a position
in the West Shore shops at East Buffalo, and in 1884 was sent to Newark, one of the
terminal points of the road, in charge of the boiler works at this point, and then was
sent to Buffalo. Two months later he was returned to Newark as general foreman of
the West Shore Engine House here, which position he has filled since. December 27,
1887, he married Lucy M., daughter of Hugh and Mary Crowe, and they have two chil-
dren : Edward, jr., and Maria N. Mr. and Mrs. Walch are members of St. Michael's
Church, and he was first president of the Catholic Benevolent Legion, was its chancellor,
orator and secretary, and represented it at the conventions of Buffalo, Brooklyn, and
New York.

The Whitbeck Family. — The first to settle in Wayne county was Albert Whitbeck,
who came from Kinderhook, Columbia county, about 1824 and settled in Arcadia. His
ancestors came from Holland in an early day and settled on the Hudson. He mar-
ried a Miss Schumerhorn, and their children were James, who settled in Newark where
he died ; Dorcas, who married Jacob Trumper and settled in Arcadia ; Caroline, who
married George Van Housen and settled in Arcadia ; Maria, married William New
and settled in Arcadia; John settled in Arcadia and later removed to Michigan ;
Peter settled in Palmyra and was a farmer; Edward died in Arcadia; Jane married
Henry Cronise and settled in Newark. Andrew A. settled in Sodus in 1834 and was
one of the prominent and influential men of the town. He was at one time supervisor
of the town and was a prominent member of the Sodus M. E. Church, being for many
years one of its trustees. He married first Cynthia K. Whitbeck and their children
were William, George, Cornelius A., Ahda and Edmund. For his second wife he mar-
ried Imogene Filkins, and for his third wife Almira M. Willard, by whom he had four
childred John D., Frank, Carrie and Arthur L. Andrew A. died in 1885.

Welcher, Charles A., was born in Arcadia October 3, 1855, and was educated in the
district, and the Union school and Academy of Newark. His early life was spent on
his father's farm, and he is now one of Newark's enterprising grocery merchants. He
married Jennie E. Garlock of Newark, and they have five children, Fred G., Frank C,
Le Fern, Ernest L. V., and James. Mr. Welcher's father, J. Philester, was born on the
homestead two and one-half miles north of the village of Newark March 13, 1821.
September 22, L845, he married Abigail Lee of Arcadia, by whom he had seven chil-



FAMILY SKETCHES. ■_• | J

dren Alice, Amanda, Rev. Mant'ord P., Valora E., Charles A., as above, Lucy V., and
Byron R., who died, aged fifteen years. Subject's grandfather, John, was born in Nor-
ristown, N. J., in 1790 and came to Phelps, Ontario county, when in his ninth year,
and went to live with Oliver Clark of East Palmyra until he was twenty one years old!
He then took up the land for the homestead from the primeval forest. He married
twice, first Mebetabel Culver, and second Electa Jagger of Batavia, formerly of Long
Island.

White, Patrick S., was born in Syracuse May 6, 1852, where he was educated in the
public schools. He entered the N. Y. C. Railway shops, learned the trade of machinist,
and worked his way through the various grades to locomotive engineer of passenger
train, which position he still holds. He ran the first passenger train out of Newark on
the West Shore Railway in 1884. December 22, 1874, he married Mary Kenny of
Rochester, and they have had four children : Hattie, who died in infancy in Rochester;
Dalros M., who died in Syracuse, aged three years; Florence M., born in Rochester'
and Bertha E., born in Newark. Mr. White's father, Moses, was born in Ireland in
1825. He married Elizabeth Powers and had four children, Patrick, as above, George,