Lusk, Christopher O, was born in East Newark October 23, 1833. He was educated
in the district schools and followed boating on the canal in early life, was also clerk in
a store some time. He went to California in 1853, remaining there two years digging
gold, and has been conducting a meat market for many years. In 1876 he was elected
poormaster, serving three years, was town clerk one year and village collector one year.
In 1894 he was again elected poormaster. December 31, 1855, he married Emeline B.
Fairchild of Phelps, and they had four children : Frank S. who married Nettie M^Ken-
nie of Indiana; Ralph O, who died, aged twenty -six ; William H., who married Helen
Flynn of Newark, and they have one daughter, Marie L.; and Adella L , who resides at
home. Mr. Lusk is a member of Newark Lodge, No. 116, A. O. U. W., and of the
Knights of Honor. No. 492. He enlisted September 3, 1864 in Company E, 11th In-
fantry, N. Y. S. Volunteers, was honorably discharged for disability November 19,
1864. Mr. Lusk's father, Peter, was born in Schenectady county March 19, 1793, he
was a merchant, interpreter and attorney. August 23, 1812, he married Harriet
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
Howell, formerly of Columbia county, by whom he had twelve children: James Gr., Al-
lied, Christopher, all died in infancy ; Adelia, Harriet, Daniel H., Permelia, Clinton O,
Alfred D., Irene and Christopher C. Mrs. Lusk's father, Asher Fairchild, was born in
New Jersey in 1799, came to Ontario county, and married Temperance Humphrey, by
FAMILY SKETCHES. 371
whom he had five children. He died in 1878, and his wife in 1860. Peter husk died
June 9, 1839, and his wife March 28, 1848.
Lovejoy, the late David W., was born in Kinderhook, Columbia county, in 1812, and
came to Western New York in 1845. His education was obtained in the public schools
and he was a farmer by occupation. He married twice, first Sally Wilb°r of that
county, who died in 1873, 'and second in 1875 Martha J. Davis of East Newark. They
have had two children : Mary L. and David W., a student in the Union School and
Academy. Mrs. Lovejoy's father, George Davis, was born in Saratoga county in 1808,
was well educated, and in early life was a merchant. After he came to this place he
was a grocery merchant. He married twice, first in 1834 Lucy Patrick of Stillwater,
and they had three daughters, one who died in infancy ; Martha J. and Mary F., who
is a resident of Toledo, 0. Mrs. Davis died in 1839, and he married second Elizabeth
Wilcox, of his native county, by whom he had one son, William G-. Mr. Davis died in
1883, and his wife in 1887. Among the Davis family for generations there have been
preachers of the Friends denomination. Mrs. Lovejoy taught two years in the Union
School and Academy, also in Louisiana and Alabama fourteen years. On the maternal
side the family are of Revolutionary stock.
Lyman, Milo S., was born in Galen May 18, 1826, son of Jesse and Betsey (Sedgwick J
Lyman, he a native of Connecticut and came to Galen about 1820, and then to Rose,
where he settled on a farm, and finally to Rose Yalley, where. he died in 1866. He
kept lighthouse at Sodus Point for about fen years. Subject's mother died when he was
four years of age, and subject was bound out to work for Adam Learn of Galen, with
whom he remained until he was twenty-one. He afterward worked for John Learn
seven years, worked his farm three years, and during the time bought forty acres in
Eose on which he moved, and erected buildings, remaining three years. He next
worked by the month eight years, and then rented his father-in-law's farm. In 1874
he bought the farm he now owns of 148 acres. Mr. Lyman has been postmaster one
year. He has been a member of the M. E. Church thirty years, and has held every
office in the church of Rose Valley. Mr. Lyman married in 1854 Rebecca, daughter of
John, Barnes, by whom he has one son, John W., born in February, 1857. He was
educated in Albany Normal School, from which he graduated with high honors, and
taught school two years in Garrison. His health failed and he died with quick con-
sumption in 1881. Mrs. Lyman died May 18, 1892, and in April, 1894, he married
Clarissa Webb of Huron. He has one adopted son, George A. Barnes, son of James
Barnes of Huron.
Lent, Charles D., was born in Sodus in 1832. His father, Benjamin, was a son of
Jonn Lent, a resident of New Jersey. Charles D. was reared in Bergen, Genesee
county, his father having died during his childhood. In 1853 he returned to Sodus and
August 14, 1862, enlisted in Company H, 9th N. Y. Heavy Artillery as private, was
promoted to sergeant, first lieutenant and captain, serving until the close of the war.
He was mustered out in July, 1865. Returning to Sodus he purchased the Messenger
farm, west of Wallington, and has since carried on farming. Upon the building of the
railroads through the town be erected a depot and was made station agent, continuing
to act as such until 1888. For many years he was in the produce business at Walling-
ton, and was a dealer in coal and fertilizers, bringing the first car load of each that came
in Sodus. In 1872 he started a grocery and carried on that business until 1891. He
secured the establishment of the postoffice at Wallington in 1874, which continued until
1886. In 1874 he built a hotel at Wallington, which he has since kept as a temperance
house. He is deeply interested in political affairs. He was appointed deputy, by
Sheriff Reed in 1889, is a member of Dwight Post, G. A. R., of Sodus and was com-
mander for several years. In 1852 he married Laura, daughter of Solomon Smedly of
Sodus, and their children are Herschael D., who settled in Illinoig ; Charles M. of
272 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
Rochester ; Lillian 0. (Mrs. Clayton Boyd of Syracuse); Ida (Mrs. J. S. Cox of Newark);
Emma, (Mrs. A. L. Olmstead of Des Moines, la.), Kittie and Matie.
Lincoln, Theron L., was born in Virgil, Cortland county, November 24, 1815. and
educated in the district schools. Until the age of twenty-one he was reared on a farm,
afterward became a boot and shoe dealer, also manufactured mittens, and was for many
years a farmer until he retired. He married twice, first, Loretta Bruce, of his native
place, and they had two children: Bruce W and Loretta, both deceased. Mrs. Lincoln
died July 10, 1850, and he married second, in January, 1852, Polly A. Keyes, of his
native place, formerly of Vermont, and they have three sons ; Orion M., who married
Helen Garlock, and they have one son, Ward G.; Clinton T., who married Emma Shaw,
and has two children, Claud E. and Mildred E ; and Herbert G., who married Emma E.
Filkins, by whom lie has one daughter, Ermie B. Mr. Lincoln's father, William, was
born in Massachusetts July 6, 1784, and was one of the first settlers in Virgil, Cortland
county. He married Ruth Saxton, of his native place, and they have had twelve chil-
dren :" Harriet, Silas, Theron L., Wait, Ruth, Minerva, William, Clinton, Levi, Laura,
Oscar, and Emma. Mr. Lincoln died in 1870, aged eighty-six years, and his wife in
1864. William Lincoln was major in the State militia. Mrs. Theron Lincoln's father,
Eli Keyes, was born in 1794 in Vermont. He married Mercy Chapman and had ten
children. ' Mr. Keyes died in 1850 and his wife in 1857. Mrs. Lincoln's grandfather,
Jonathan Chapman, was a soldier in the Revolutionary War, and her grandfather, Ezra
Keyes, was a soldier in the war of 1812. Mr. Lincoln was assessor and justice of the
peace several years.
Leggett, Charles E., was born in the town of Arcadia August 26, 1864, and came
here with his parents when he was four years old. He was educated in the Union
School and Academy. At the age of twenty-one he became a partner with John L.
Wilder in the hardware business three years, then bought his interest, conducted it
alone one year, when the co-partnership of Leggett & Watkins was formed under that
firm name, which continues until the present time. October 24, 1888, he married
Edith M. Percey, of the town of Phelps, Ontario county. Mr. Leggett's father, John
T., was born in Columbia county in 1820, and came here when a young man, was a
farmer until 1868, when he retired and moved to the village. He married twice, first,
Mary A. West, and they had one son, Sanford, who is a clerk in the firm. He married,
second, Susan Cronise, of this town, whose ancestors came from Maryland. They had
three children: Ida O, John T., jr., and Charles E. He died in 1879. Mrs. Leggett's
father, Henry Percey, was born in Hoosic Falls, and came to Lyons when a boy. He
married Louisa Harmon, and they had two daughters: Nellie and Edith M. Mr.
Leggett is a member of I.O.O.F. No. 250, of Newark.
Kelley, Clarence M., was born on the old homestead south of Newark September 20,
1850, and was educated in the common and the Union School and Academy. In early
life he learned the machinist trade at H. C. Silsby's, Seneca Falls, and became a
thorough workman. Taking locomotive work he pursued it in detail at Schenectady,
Philadelphia, and for the N.Y.C. & H.R.R.R. Leaving the locomotive cab in 1876 he
went to the Black Hills and Big Horn region, prospecting and mining, and for four
years remained there testing many claims. He came back to the East with the inten-
tiou of settling in Newark, but was induced to take charge of the Bignall Manufactur-
ing Works at Medina, which employed seventy men. This he left and came back to
Newark to succeed his father in business, purchasing the Eagle foundry site on Union
street and erecting the present Kelley block. With his own private purse he led the
work of establishing ^rade, laying walk and curbing Union street in front of his
premises. He has added to his business house furnishing goods and carriages, and by
liberal dealing has made his business a success. October 7, 1880, he married, at Medina,
Rosena Randolph. Mrs. Kelley's father, Rev. Webster Randolph, was born in Vermont,
FAMILY SKETCHES. 273
He located in Newark and was instrumental in building the present Universalist
church. He married Eliza Yose, of Boston, and they had three children : B. Howe,
Rosena, and Caroline, who died in infancy. Mr. Randolph died in October, 1893, and
his wife in January, 1882. Mr. Kelley is a member of Newark Lodge No. 83, F. & A.
M., of Newark Chapter No. 117, R. A. M., Zenobia Commandery No. 41, K. T.
Kneeland, Rev. Francis W., was born at Strikersville, Wyoming county, September
15, 1856, was educated in the public schools, and the academy, preparatory to entering
the university. In 1880 he graduated from the Rochester University, and soon after
entered the Rochester Theological Seminary, from which he graduated in 1887, and
immediately began Gospel work, preaching at Moodus, Conn., for some time, then
coming to Wayne county, where he settled at Newark in November, 1890, as pastor of
the First Baptist church, which he has continued up to the present time, 1894. Decem-
ber 27, 1881, he married Anna Randolph, of Rochester, who is a grandniece of John
Randolph, of Roanoke, Va. They have three children : Paul S., Lloyd R., and Marjorie
B. The ancestry of the family is English on both sides, the original stock in this coun-
try having settled in Massachusetts and Connecticut.
Keener, Stephen N., was born in the town of West Huron, Lewis county, January
31, 1841. He was educated in the public schools, learned the carpenter's trade before
he was twenty-one years old, and came to Newark in June, 1862. July 25, 1862, he
enlisted in Company A, 160th Inf., N. Y. S. Vols., and was honorably discharged at the
close of the war. Upon his return he resumed business, this time as architect, contractor
and builder for twenty-three years. January 21, 1868, he married Katie E. Espenscheid,
of Lyons, and they have one daughter, I. Augusta. Mr. Keener has been a member of
the School Board six years, with its offices of president, secretary, etc. He has served
as village trustee two terms, is a member of Vosburg Post No. 99, G. A. R., Dep't of
N. Y. ; also of the M. E. church, and an official member of the same for twenty-five
vears. He is also trustee of the Cemetery Association for the past twenty years. Mrs.
Keener's father, John Espenscheid, was born in Germany, February 17, 1813, and came
to the United States when a young boy, and located in Sodus, shortly afterward in
Clyde, and finally in Lyons. He married Helen Derich, of his native country, and they
had six children : John M., Katie E., Philip J., Mary E., William H., and Helen E.
He died October 5, 1888, his wife still survives.
Kennedy, Thomas, was born in Canandaigua, September 20, 1857, and received his
education in the district schools, having been a railroad man for sixteen years. He has
filled various positions in that line, was with the N. Y. C. & H. R. R. R. ten years ; and
with the West Shore Railroad Company six years as yard conductor, and also as freight
conductor when needed. September 20, 1882, he married Mary A. Norris, of Cortland,
and they had two sons : James N., who died young ; and Thomas N., a student at the
academy. Mrs. Kennedy died October 22, 1887. Mrs. Kennedy's father, James N.,
was born in the old country in 1824, coming to the United States in 1844, where he
located in Canandaigua, and married Alice Armstrong, by whom he had eleven children.
Both parents are now deceased. Mr. Kennedy is a member of the A. O. U. W. No.
116, at Newark.
Kaiser, John, was born in Baden, Germany, August 5, 1824. He learned the black-
smith's trade, came to the United States in 1840, and located in Rochester, where he
worked in Barton's edge tool establishment. He afterward engaged in work at Mud
Creek, and from there came to Lyons. He married twice, first, May 28, 1847, Lottie
Worllhiser, formerly of Germany. They had ten children, seven of whom are living :
Lottie, John, jr., William, George, Margaret, Louisa, and Hattie. Mrs. Kaiser died
October 9, 1867, and he married second, May 25, 1868, Mrs. Susana Becker, of Liver-
pool, Onondaga county. Mrs. Kaiser's father, Frederick Arnold, was born in Wurtem-
berg, Germany, in 1788. He married Barbara Harkenbock, of his native place, and
274 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
they had fourteen children, all deceased except Mrs. Kaiser. They came to the United
States in 1837. Mr. Kaiser moved from Lyons to Fairville in 1848, and bought his
farm there in 1854.
Kansier, Christopher, was the first of the family to settle in America. He came from
Germany in 1852, and settled in Lyons. He was a wagonmaker by trade and engaged
in that business. In 1859 he settled at Sochis Centre, where he engaged in the same
business. He married Frederica Schultz, and their children were : Fred, William,
Augustus, and Hattie. In 1863 Mr. Kansier retired from business and was succeeded
by his son, William, who has since carried on carriage making and blacksmithing.
Christopher died in 1878. Fred is a wagonmaker and settled at Sodus Centre. He
married Dortha Yokel. Augustus was a blacksmith and carried on that business in
Sodus for several years. He married Mary Flint, and died in 1888. Hattie married
Henry Webber, of Sodus. William Kansier is a member of Sodus Lodge No. 392,
F. & A. M,, and Wayne Chapter. He married Mary Eyer, and they have one daughter,
Keir, Alexander, was born in Banffshire, Scotland, March 7, 1842. He was educated
in their schools and when twenty years old went to Australia, remaining ten years.
July 19, 1867, he married Elizabeth Rohinson, who was born in England of Scotch par-
entage. They have five children, Jane, Margaret, who married Dyton Barclay of Sodus
Centre ; Alexander R. is an employee of the West Shore Railroad Company ; El'zabeth,
who is a student in Genesee Normal School, and James W., who is a student in the
Union School and Academy. The family came here from Australia in 1873. Mr. Keir
has been in the employ of the West Shore Railroad Company since that time, first in
charge of a construction corps and after assistant road master, which position he still
holds. Mr. Keir was one of the principal men in constructing the railway track from
Long Branch to Franklin cottage for the conveyance of President Garfield after he was
shot by Guiteau, and received a card of thanks therefor by the company. Mrs. Keir's
father, Robert Robinson, was born in Scotland in 1792, and married Margaret MacKee
of his native place. They had five children, Jane, Robert, Violet, James and Elizabeth.
Her father was a sergeant in the British Army, and her brother, Robert, was a major in
the British Army in India, Mr. Robinson died in 1869 and his wife in 1890. Mr.
Keir is a member of the Masonic Order in Bolton, N. J., No. 150 F. & A. M., also of
Newark Chapter No. 117 R. A. M.
Kelley, Charles E., was born on the homestead southeast of Newark January 28,
1858, was educated in the common schools and the Union School and Academy at
Newark. He is a farmer and dealer in seed potatoes, and owns the old E. B. Kelley
farm. February 21, 1883, he married Ada A. Bennett, of Phelps, and they have two chil-
dren : Bertha A. and Burnette F. Mrs. C. E. Kelley's father, Hiram Bennett, was
born in Phelps, Ontario county, April 14, 1826, was educated in the common school and
followed farming. He married Eliza Parsons of Columbia county, and they had five
children : Ada A, as above, Milton P., Jennie E., Ulysses C. and Frank H. He had
two children by a first marriage, Andrew J. and Mary L. Mr. Bennett died in 1893
and his widow survives at the old home in Phelps.
Jones, Albert N., was born in Cookham, Berkshire county, England, March 6, 1843,
and came with his parents to the United States in 1847, finally locating in Shortsville,
Ontario county. He was educated in the public schools, and worked at intervals in his
father's paper mill till 1879, since which he has made a business of propagating varieties
of winter wheat. He has 1,700 varieties, which he has produced from three kinds, viz, :
Clawson, Mediterranean and Russian Velvet. August 17, 1862, he married Marietta
Crofut, of Canandaigua, a daughter of Joel and Lucinda (Coy) Crofut, of Connecticut,,
and Vermont, respectively. They have one daughter, Lin S., who lives at home. His
father, William,, was born in England, and married Eliza Fisher, of Bradford, England,
FAMILY SKETCHES. 275
and they had six children : Albert N., William, who died, aged thirteen ; Lizzie. Walter
S., Frank C, and George H. The mother died in 188G. Our subject is a member of
the A. 0. U. W., No. 116, of Newark.
Jenkins, Thomas J., was born in New York city, September 25, 1840, was educated
in the public schools there, and learned k the butcher's business, at the age of sixteen
coming to Newark with his parents. Here he began work with G. H. Filldns, continu-
ing four years. July 6, 18G2, he enlisted in Company E, 111th N. Y. Vols., and was in
the quartermaster's department till 1863, ween he returned to his company, participat-
ing in all its engagements until August, 1854, when he was captured at the battle of
Reams' Station, sent to Libby Prison, and later to Belle Island, and Salisbury, N. C,
caring as far as it was in his power to do, for his sick and starving fellow prisoners,
caring for forty from the town of Arcadia, burying them when they died, taking their
last messages to their friends at home, as well as assisting their widows and orphans in
the settling of their property, etc. Few towns suffered as this town did, in its losses
through the war. He was honorably discharged as duty sergeant August 7, 1865, and
returned home to Newark, where he opened a meat market, and has been engaged in
that business now for many years, having been for fourteen years in his present loca-
tion, corner Main and Union streets. November 27, 1859, he married Annie Taylor,
of this town, and they have had five children: Charles, Grace M., Will, and Lela and
Lula (twins), Charles and the twins being deceased. Grace married Charles Frey of
Newark, and they have one daughter, Lulu. Will married Mary O'Brien, of Manches-
ter, and they have two daughters, Fannie and Pearl. Thomas J., father of our subject,
was born in New York city in 1800, and conducted a butcher's business. He married
Maria Francisco, of Whitehall, by whom he had five children : Susan F., Louisa, Thomas
J., William W., and Isaac G. Mr. Jenkins died in 1856, and his wife in 1884. Our
subject is a member of Newark Lodge, No. 83, F. & A. M., and also a member of the
G. A. R. No. 99.
Jewell, Alva, was born in Dutchess county February 21, 1820, a son of Isaac and
Charity Jewell, natives of Dutchess county, who came to Lyons in 1819, where Mr.
Jewell died, and his wife died in Rose. Subject was reared on a farm till eighteen,
when he learned the cooper's trade and after ten years engaged in farming. Mr. Jewell
owns 140 acres, and has a fine residence and out buildings on his farm. He married in
1843 Susan Wager, a native of Galen, and daughter of John and Margaret Wager, early
settlers of Galen, who died in Huron. They had nine children. Mr. Jewell and his
wife had six children, Henry, Malinda (deceased), Alonzo (deceased), Elizabeth, Frank-
lin, and another.
Jolly, Rev. Thompson, was born in Yorkshire, England, August 5, 1822. His father
died while he was still a child and his mother married John Middleton. In 1830 they
came to America and settled in Ontario county. In 1833 they removed to Sodus and
settled in the northwest part of the town. He learned the blacksmith trade and from
1838 to 1843 followed that business at Stanley, N. Y. He then returned to Sodus
village and for two years worked at his trade there. He then built a shop and for
thirteen years carried on the business of blacksmithing. In 1857 he joined the Central
New York M. E. Conference and from that time until 1884 was pastor of various
churches throughout Central and Western New York. In the latter year he returned
to his farm in Sodus and for a year was pastor of the church at Joy, and for a year and
a half at South Sodus. In 1889 he settled in Sodus village. For twenty years he has
been a strong Prohibitionist, and has taken a very active part in temperance work. He
married in 1845 Mercy, daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth Gates, of Sodus, and they
had four children : Mary, Mrs. Wilmot M. Ormsby ; Dr. William F., Wesley T., and S.
Belle. Dr. William F. Jolly on being admitted to practice settled at Middlesex, N. Y.,
and in 1894 settled at Atlanta, N. Y. Wesley T. settled in Sodus and is an enterprising
276 LANDMARKS OF WAYNE COUNTY.
farmer. He is a member of Sodus Grange and Pultneyville M. E. church. He married
S. Cammilla, daughter of William S. Vosburgh, of Sodus, and their children are Olin B.
and Arthur T.
Hoffman, Frederick, was born in Prussia, Germany, June 9, 1827. He was educated
in their schools, learned the trade of carpenter and came to the United S*ates in 1849,
locating in Carthage, Jefferson county, where he remained fourteen years. He came to
Lyons in 1863 and to Newark in 1864, where he has been a contractor and builder. He
has done much in building and enlarging the enterprising village of Newark. July 31,
1854, he married Theresa Say forth of his native place, and they have one adopted son
August L., who is a resident of Lyons, a jeweler by occupation in company with 0. C.
Robinson, of Newark. Their stock in trade is watches, jewelry, diamonds, musical in-
struments, pianos, organs, sheet music, etc., with stores in Lyons and Newark. He
married Emma Jacoby, and they have a son, Frederick. Mrs. Hoffman's father, Fred-
erick Sayforth, was born in Prussia, Germany, in 1806. He married Julia Schlieder of
that place, by whom he had six children. They came to the United States in 1847.
Mrs. Hoffman's grandfather, Christoph Sayforth, was a judge in his province fifty years.
Mr. and Mrs. Hoffman are members of the German Evangelical church, of which he has
been trustee twenty-nine years.
Hyde, William H., was born at the old home July 26, 1863. He was educated in the
Union School and Academy, in Cook's Academy at Havana, and in Genesee Normal
School. He is a farmer and capitalist. February 26, 1885, he married Bertha J. Jack-
son, of Lyons, and they have two children: Bertha L., and William H., jr. Mr. Hyde's
father, Artemus W. ; was born at the old home in Hydesville September 15, 1816. He
was educated in the schools of that day, and was also a farmer. He married twice,
first Armeda Miles, of this town, by whom he had four children : E. Miles and a twin
brother who died in infancy ; Ransom A., who died aged nineteen, and John L. Mrs.
Hyde died in 1856, and he married second Louisa Pierson. They had three children :