George William Fisher.

Annals of Shrewsbury School online

. (page 10 of 56)
Online LibraryGeorge William FisherAnnals of Shrewsbury School → online text (page 10 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

1 6th, i6ir, he was presented by Lord Chancellor Egerton to the living of
Holy Cross, Shrewsbury, on the recommendation of Dr. Watson and Dr.
Peryn ; and in 1616 he was made Rector of Aberdaron in Anglesey. (OWEN

3 Richard Allestree was a son of Mr. Robert Allestree, of Uppington, Salop,
steward to the Newport family. He was born in March, 1619, and was sent
at an early age to Wroxeter School, then recently founded by Sir Richard
Newport. Richard Baxter was head boy at the time, and when Allestree,
who was four years younger, was promoted to his form, he took the matter
so ill as to talk of leaving school. But his master, he tells us, rebuked him
gravely but tenderly, and made him write a theme on the subject, "Ne sutor
ultra crepidam." On January 2Oth, 1633, Allestree removed to Shrewsbury,
and was at once placed in the highest school. But he could not have remained
long, as Bishop Fell and Antony Wood both speak of his education at Coventry
School, and he matriculated at Christ Church, Oxford, in 1636, at the age of
seventeen. Allestree was expelled from Oxford by the Parliamentary Visitors
in 1648, but he returned after the Restoration, when he became Canon of Christ
Church and Regius Professor of Divinity. He was made Provost of Eton in


Provost of Eton and Chaplain to Charles II., was Student
and Tutor of Christ Church at the time of the outbreak of
the Civil War. He fought as a private soldier at Edgehill
and Oxford. Another Oxford Salopian, Edward Corbett, 1
of Merton College, who was for a short time Public Orator
and Canon of Christ Church, was one of the few Shrewsbury-
bred clergymen who took the side of the Parliament in the
Civil Wars. He was one of the Seven Preachers appointed
by the House of Commons in 1646 to convert the loyal
scholars of Oxford. Wood calls him " a person of conscience
and honesty."

Among the lawyers who were educated at Shrewsbury in
Meighen's time the most prominent was Sir Thomas Jones, 2
Lord Chief Justice of the Court of Common Pleas in 1683,
who had previously been a judge in the Court of King's Bench.
He was deprived, with three other judges, on April 2ist, 1686,

1665, and resided there till his death in 1680. A volume of his sermons was
published in 1684, with a biographical notice by Fell, Bishop of Oxford. (See
FULLER'S Worthies ; WOOD'S Athen. Oxon. ; OWEN and BLAKEWAY'S History
of Shrewsbury; BLAKEWAY'S Sheriff's of Shropshire, etc.)

1 Edward Corbett was second son of Mr. Robert Corbett, of Pontesbury,
Salop. He was baptised at Pontesbury on June 1st, 1600, and, on his entering
Shrewsbury, June ist, 1613, was placed in the highest school. He matriculated
at Merton in June, 1621 (?), as pleb. fil. of Salop, aged nineteen (?) ; graduated
B.A. in 1623; M.A. in 1628; and D.D. in 1648; Probationer fellow, 1624;
Proctor, 1638. Married Margaret, daughter of Sir Nathaniel Brent. Rector
of Chartham, Kent, 1643-46, and afterwards Rector of Great Hasley, Oxford-
shire. Edward Corbett preached before Parliament at Laud's trial, and was also
produced as a witness against the archbishop. He died in London, January 5th,
165!-, and was buried at Hasley. In his will he left various Latin commentaries
on the Scriptures to the school library. The date of Corbett's matriculation
is probably wrongly given in the printed Oxford lists, and should be 1620.
(Blakeway MSS. ; Athen. Oxon.; WOOD'S Fasti, etc.)

3 Sir Thomas Jones was second son of Edward Jones, Esq., Steward of
Shrewsbury. He was born in 1614, entered Shrewsbury School in January,
162!, and was admitted at Emmanuel College, Cambridge, in 1629, on the same
day as his elder brother William, who was, in after days, Recorder of Shrews-
bury. Thomas Jones became a Student of Lincoln's Inn in 1629, and was called
to the Bar in 1634 ; Serjeant-at-Law in 1669 ; King's Serjeant in 1671 ; Justice of
the King's Bench in 1676 ; and Chief Justice of the Court of Common Pleas in
1683. Before he was raised to the Bench Thomas Jones was Town Clerk of
Shrewsbury 1660-62. He also represented the borough in the Parliaments of
1660 and 1 66 1. Died in May, 1692, and was buried in St. Alkmond's, Shrews-
bury. (See Foss's fudges of England ; BLAKEWAY'S Sheriffs of Shrewsbury ;
NORTH'S Examen. } etc.)


for refusing to acknowledge the legality of the royal dis-
pensing power. Sir Thomas Jones is described by Roger
North as " a very reverend and learned judge, a gentleman,
and impartial, but, being of Welsh extraction, apt to warm."

Sir Jeremy Whichcote, 1 Bart., Solicitor - General to the
Elector Palatine, John Corbet, 2 Esq., and Edward Waters, 3
Esq., judges of South Wales, and Thomas Owen, 4 Esq., Town

1 Sir Jeremy Whichcote was the youngest son of Christopher Whichcote, Esq.,
of Stoke, in the parish of Greet, Shropshire. He was baptised at Burford,
October nth, 1614, and was entered at Shrewsbury as gen. fil. in 1626.
Subsequently he became a Student of Lincoln's Inn. He had access to Charles I.
during the greater part of his imprisonment, and was enabled to be of some help
to Royalists during the exile by accepting the Wardenship of the Fleet Prison,
which he did at Charles II. 's special request. Created baronet on April 2nd,
1660, his patent being dated from Brussels. Died in 1677. (See OWEN and
BLAKEWAY, and Blakeway MSS.)

2 John Corbet was eldest son of Mr. Richard Corbet, of Halston, Pontesbury,
and was baptised at Pontesbury in 1609. On November I5th, 1626, he was
entered at Shrewsbury, being placed in the first school. Student of Gray's Inn,
1627. In 1659 he was a benefactor to the school library, and is described in the
register as "of Huson, Salop, Judge of South Wales." Huson is probably
a mistake for Halston. In August, 1660, he was ordered to hand over his seals
of office to Sir Richard Lloyd. The order describes him as " late reputed
Justice of Glamorganshire, Brecknock, and Radnor." Died 1670. (State
Papers, Domestic, Calendar.}

3 Edward Waters was a son of Mr. John Waters, of Ludlow, and entered
school in 1584. Married Martha, daughter of Sir Charles Fox of Bromfield.
(Blakeway MSS. )

4 Thomas Owen was third son of Edward Owen, Esq., of Shrewsbury. He
entered school in 1589. His last signature as Town Clerk was in January, 164^.
He was one of the prisoners taken at the capture of Shrewsbury in the following
month, and was displaced as "a delinquent" on November I7th, 1645. Thomas
Owen was still living in 1660, and petitioned the King soon after the Restoration
to grant him the office of Prothonotary of South Wales for three lives. He
pleads in his petition that he had discharged the duties of the office as deputy to
Sir Thomas Gardiner, Recorder of London, during the reign of Charles I., and
that after the Recorder's death the King had given him an order for a grant of the
office. The grant, however, had never been executed, and the order itself had
been destroyed by a fire which broke out in the lodgings of Sir Edward Herbert,
the Attorney-General. Thomas Owen also urged that he had lost his own office
of Town Clerk, and had been imprisoned for his loyalty. But there was a rival
claimant for the office in the person of Mr. Dennington, who had bought the
place in 1654 from Mr. Richard Willis, and who pleaded that he had always
maintained his loyalty. The King referred the decision of the matter to the Lord
Chief Baron and Lord Carberry, who reported on June i8th, 1660, in favour of
Dennington, who was confirmed in the office in the following month. Thomas
Owen died in May, 1661, and was buried on the 25th May at St. Chad's.
(Staff Papers, Domestic, Calendar, and OWEN and BLAKEWAY'S Shrewsbury.)


Clerk of Shrewsbury 1609-1645, and M.P. for the borough
1624-40, were also at Shrewsbury School.

Sir Thomas Higgons, 1 Knt, of Grewell, Hants, who
entered Shrewsbury School on February 6th, 163^, sat in
several Parliaments, and also attained some distinction as
a diplomatist.

Sir Thomas Adams, 2 Bart, Lord Mayor of London in 1645,
who was deputed by the City to accompany General Monk
to Breda in 1660 for the purpose of attending Charles II. on
his journey to London, was also a scholar of Shrewsbury.

Humphrey Mackworth, 3 Esq., of Betton Strange, who

1 Sir Thomas Higgons was a son of Dr. Thomas Higgons, Rector of Westbury,
Salop. He was baptised at St. Chad's, Shrewsbury, on January I2th, 1623, and
was entered at Shrewsbury School on February 6th, 163^. From school he pro-
ceeded to St. Alban's Hall, Oxford, in 1638, but left the university without
a degree, and travelled for some time in Italy. M.P. for Malmesbury in 1658, for
New Windsor in 1661, and for St. German's in Cornwall in 1685. Knighted on
June 1 7th, 1666. In 1669 he was sent as Envoy Extraordinary to the Duke of
Saxony to invest him with the Order of the Garter, and subsequently he was
Ambassador at Vienna for three years. He died suddenly in 1691 in the Court of
King's Bench, where he had been summoned as a witness, and was buried in
Winchester Cathedral. Wood says that he published A Panegyric to the King,
The History of Tsuf Basse . . . Captain- General of the Ottoman Army at the
Invasion of Candia, etc. (See WOOD'S A then. Oxon.; Diet, of Nat. Biog., etc.)

2 Sir Thomas Adams was second son of Mr. Thomas Adams, tanner, of Wem,
Shropshire. He was born on December 6th, 1586, and was entered at Shrews-
bury School, or rather promoted from the Accidence School, on December i6th,
1594. He was still at school in 1600. Subsequently he proceeded to Jesus
College, Cambridge, and graduated B.A. there in 1605. After this he engaged in
business in London, and speedily rose to wealth and eminence. In 1639 he filled
the office of Sheriff, and in 1645 that of Lord Mayor. He was at one time
Master of the Drapers' Company, and was also President of St. Thomas's
Hospital. His loyalty brought him much suffering during the Rebellion, and in
1646 he was imprisoned in the Tower. Sir Thomas was knighted by Charles II.
at the Hague in 1660, and was created a baronet on June I3th, 1660. He
founded and endowed the Grammar School at Wem, and a readership in Arabic at
Cambridge. He also bore the expense of translating the Gospels into Persian.
Died February 24th, 1667, and was buried at Sprowston, Norfolk. (See FULLER'S
Worthies ; GARBETT'S History of Wem; Diet, of Nat. Biog.}

3 Humphrey Mackworth was a son of Richard Mackworth, Esq., of Betton
Strange, Salop. Admitted Student of Gray's Inn October 24th, 1621 ; Recorder of
Shrewsbury 1645 ; Vice- Chamberlain of Chester 1647 ; Second Justice of the County
Palatine 1649. He was probably president of the court martial which tried the
Earl of Derby, Sir Timothy Fetherstonhaugh, and Mr. John Benbow in 1651, as
he transmitted an account of the proceedings to the House of Commons. (OWEN
and BLAKEWAY ; Sheriffs of Shropshire ; Diet, of Nat. Biog. )


was born in 1603, an d entered Shrewsbury School on
January 22nd, i6if, sided from the first with the Parlia-
ment, and was denounced in the King's proclamation at
Bridgnorth on October 1 4th, 1642, as one who had "assisted
the King's enemies." He was made governor of Shrewsbury
after its capture in 164^, was a leading member of the
" Committee for Shropshire," and held various legal appoint-
ments during the Commonwealth. He died in 1654, and,
as one of Cromwell's Privy Council, was buried in West-
minster Abbey.

Colonel Samuel Moore, 1 of Linley, and Colonel Thomas
Hunt, 2 of Boreatton Park, two other distinguished adherents
of the Parliamentary cause in Shropshire, were also educated
at Shrewsbury.

Arthur Hopton, 3 fourth son of Richard Hopton, Esq., of
Hopton, Shropshire, who is confused by Wood with another
Arthur Hopton of much the same age, the son of Sir Arthur
Hopton, of Wytham, Somersetshire, was a mathematician of

1 Colonel Samuel Moore was eldest son of Richard Moore, Esq., of Linley,
More and Larden, Salop. Born 1594, so that he must have been nearly fifteen
years old when he entered Shrewsbury in 1609, an age which accounts for his
being placed at once in the highest school. Succeeded to his father's estates in
^643 ; governor of Ludlow in 1646, and of Hereford in 1647. M.P. for Shrop-
shire in Cromwell's Parliament of 1656. In this year he published a translation
of MEDE'S Clavis Apocalyptica. (State Papers^ Domestic, Calendar ; OWEN and
BLAKEWAY ; and BLAKEWAY'S Sheriffs of Shropshire. )

z Colonel Thomas Hunt> son of Mr. Richard Hunt, Alderman of Shrewsbury,
and Bailiff in 1613, 1622, and 1631, was baptised at St. Alkmond's on December
25th, 1599. Removed to the third school from the Accidence School on Decem-
ber I4th, 1609. Admitted Student of Gray's Inn August loth, 1627 ; denounced
as an enemy of the King in the Bridgnorth proclamation of October I4th, 1642 ;
governor of Wem after its capture by Colonel Mytton ; elected M. P. for Shrews-
bury in 1645 in the place of Francis Newport, Esq., who had been disabled by
vote of the House of Commons. Baxter speaks of Colonel Hunt as " a plain-
hearted, honest, godly man, entirely beloved by his soldiers for his honesty," and
Henry calls him " an Israelite indeed in whom there was no guile." He bought
the Boreatton estate from the Harris family after the Restoration. Died in
April, 1664, and buried at St. Alkmond's. (See BLAKEWAY'S Sheriffs and OWEN
and BLAKEWAY'S History of Shrewsbury,}

3 Arthur Hopton was entered at Shrewsbury School in 1596 as arm. fil. In
the Prognostications for 1607-14 he describes himself as "of Clement's Inn,
Student in Mathematics." A complimentary Latin Acrostic by Robert Broughton,
of Owlbury, Salop, is prefixed to the Concordance of Years. (See Athen. Ox0n. t
and Diet, of Nat. Biog.)


distinction who died young. Wood calls him "the miracle
of his age for learning," and says that he was intimate with
Selden, and " much valued by him, as well as by all the noted
men of his time." His chief mathematical works are entitled,
Baculum Geodaeticum sive Viaticum; Speculum Topographi-
cum; Prognostications for idoj-iy., and A Concordance of
Years. The two first named Arthur Hopton presented to
the school library. Allusions to Shrewsbury and Shropshire
are frequent in his books. A copy of verses, written by
Arthur Hopton, is prefixed to Sir William Leighton's Teares
or Lamentations of a Sorrowful Soul, in which he calls the
author " my endeared kinsman." Arthur Hopton died in
November, 1614, and was buried in the church of St.
Clement Danes.

One pupil of Meighen's at least seems to have taken part
in the defeat of the Spanish Armada. This was Piers
Griffith, 1 son of Sir Rys Griffith, of Penrhyn, in Carnarvon-
shire, who was Sheriff of that county in 1567. He was
entered at Shrewsbury School in 1584, together with his
younger brother William, and matriculated at University
College, Oxford, in 1586, though he does not appear to
have taken any degree. According to Thomas's notes on
the Penrhyn family, appended to Williams's Observations on
Snowdon, Piers Griffith was present at the defeat of the
Spanish Armada, and in command of a ship which he had
fitted out at his own expense. His name does not occur in
the list of commanders of the ships which took part in the
defeat of the Spaniards, nor is he mentioned in any of the
extant accounts of the fighting ; but Thomas is precise in the

1 Piers Griffith was entered at school in 1584 as M.F.H., his eldest brother
being dead at the time. In a letter from Chamberlain to Carleton, dated February
28th, i6o| (State Papers, Domestic}, mention is made of a Welsh pirate, named
Griffith, who had been taken at Cork, and whose lands, worth ^500 a year, were
reported to be given to Lord Grey. This letter gives some confirmation to the
truth of the buccaneering story. The Rev. John Thomas, on whose authority it
rests, was Head Master of Beaumaris Grammar School. He states that William
Griffith, youngest son of Sir Rys Griffith, was alive in 1644. If this be true he
cannot have been the serjeant-at-arms who was buried in February, 163^. (See
CHESTER'S Register of Westminster Abbey; WILLIAMS'S Observations on Snow-
don; Diet, of Nat. Bios*., and Biog. Diet, of Eminent Welshmen.']


details which he gives. He says that Piers Griffith sailed
from Beaumaris on April 2oth, 1588, and reached Plymouth
on May 4th. On his arrival Sir Henry Cavendish sent him
an invitation to dine on board Sir Francis Drake's ship, where
he was honourably received and highly commended for loyalty
and public spirit. There is a traditional story that Piers
Griffith accompanied Drake and Raleigh in their cruise on
the Spanish coast, and that he subsequently engaged in
buccaneering practices at a time when England and Spain
were at peace. Proceedings are said to have been taken
against him at the request of Count Gondomar, the Spanish
Ambassador, and such heavy fines inflicted upon him as to
compel the mortgage, and afterwards the sale, of his Penrhyn
estate, which was bought in 1616 by Dr. John Williams, Lord
Keeper of the Great Seal. Doubts have been expressed as
to the truth of this story, owing to the absence of any re-
cords of Gondomar's complaints. Piers Griffith was buried
in Westminster Abbey on August 2ist, 1628. William
Griffith, Serjeant-at-Arms to the King, who in his will had
expressed a desire to be buried near his kinsman, Piers
Griffith, was probably his brother, who entered Shrewsbury
School on the same day as himself.

Mention has been made of the erection of the library,
gallery, chapel, and country school-house. The last grant of
which we can find any mention that refers to any of these
was made in 1623.

In the course of the same year an order was issued by
the Corporation that a conference should take place with
the Head Master as to the advisability of taking down
the old school-house, which is described as built of wood,
and building it up anew, with freestone or otherwise,
as might be determined at the conference. The old building
no doubt was one of those black and white half-timbered
houses, of which many fine specimens are still to be seen in
Shrewsbury. The result of the conference was that it was
determined to use the same kind of freestone as that which
had already been employed for the chapel and library. But
the work does not seem to have been commenced till 1627,


and it was not completed till I63O. 1 From first to last
Meighen appears to have superintended the building opera-
tions, and for doing this he received a special payment from
the school funds. To him, indeed, Robert Owen, the Herald,
and others of his contemporaries, give the chief credit for the
erection of the various school-buildings. The two figures
which surmount the Corinthian columns on either side of the
central archway, representing, the one a scholar and the other
a student, as well as the inscription! from Isocrates, "
eav $9, ecru TroAvyua^?," which is so arranged that
comes under the scholar and TroXy/xa^^ under the student,
were doubtless put up at Meighen's suggestion. 2 An old
tradition has been preserved of a little revenge which
Meighen took on the two gentlemen who were Bailiffs
when the Greek inscription was put up, Mr. Owen George
and Mr. George Wright, not only for the personal injuries
he had suffered at the hands of the municipal authorities,
but for their illegal use of school revenues and their con-
tempt for school ordinances. The Bailiffs were anxious that
their names should be placed over the archway instead of
the Greek inscription, but Meighen suggested that a stone
immediately above a small edifice near at hand, which had
been recently dedicated to Cloacina, would be a more suitable
place. On this stone, at any rate, their initials, O. G. and
G. W., were still to be seen in Hotchkis's time. 3

1 No money appears to have been expended on the new buildings after 1630-31.

2 The inscription is given at Shrewsbury in capital letters and there are no

3 See Hotchkis MSS., and COLLINS'S Public Schools.




Meighen's Differences with the Bailiffs of Shrewsbury.

IN an edition of Stow's Chronicle of England, augmented
by Edward Howes, which was published by Richard
Meighen of London in I63I, 1 Howes gives a detailed account
of the foundation, endowments, ordinances, and buildings
of Shrewsbury School. He seems to have been intimately
acquainted with John Meighen, whom he calls his " worthy
and learned friend," and he makes the important statement
that during the forty -eight years of his head -mastership
" many attempts had been made by divers persons of place
and great power, both by suits of law and otherwise, thereby,
as well to waste away part of the means " of the school " as
also to break and infringe some of the . . . ordinances " ;
but that "the means of the said school had been hitherto
preserved through the good care and special endeavour of
the said Mr. John Meighen," who had also "preserved from
violation ... to the uttermost of his power, and with the
expense of his own purse . . . the ordinances thereof."
Now, doubtless, this statement is based upon information
derived from John Meighen himself. But we may reasonably
suppose that Mr. Howes did not commit himself to its
publication without being convinced of its accuracy, and
no one can examine the evidence bearing on the subject
of Meighen's various differences with the Bailiffs of Shrews-
bury without acknowledging that at any rate it fully bears

1 A copy is in the British Museum. The edition is rare. The publisher, who
also published the sermon preached by Dr. Sampson Price at the consecration of
the school chapel in 1617, is described in the register of benefactors to the school
library under the year 1630 as "Citizen and Stationer of London." He was
probably the Head Master's eldest son.

H 97


out Mr. Howes' account of the main objects Meighen had in
view in all these differences, viz., to prevent the wasteful
expenditure of the school revenues, and to secure the due
observance of the school ordinances.

The first disagreement of which we have any record
occurred at the audit of November i6th, 1587. Meighen
notes in the school register that the Town Bailiffs, Mr.
George Higgons and Mr. William Jones, "wold not allowe
5 to be taken out of the stocke remanent and to be ctd
to the bailiff of the schoole w c h was wonte to be done before
according to the ordinances of the schoole." Some local
jealousy was probably at work. The first School Bailiff,
David Longdon, had died some time in December, 1586, and
much difference of opinion existed in the town as to the
manner in which his successor ought to be chosen, there
being no provision made in the ordinances on the subject.
Some held that the Bailiffs alone, and others that the Head
Master alone, should have the appointment. Some again
thought that it was more in accordance with the spirit of
the ordinances that the Head Master and Bailiffs should
make a joint election. But the majority were of opinion that
the election should be made by the general voices of the

It seems strange that an office, to which such small
emoluments were attached, and which involved so much
responsibility, should have been so coveted as that of the
School Bailiff undoubtedly was. Almost before David
Longdon was dead 1 we find Lord Chancellor Bromley, his
brother, Sir George Bromley, and Sir Henry Townshend
of Cound, writing to the Bailiffs and Head Master in warm
terms in favour of John Coyde, who was a candidate for the
office. Meighen and one of the Bailiffs appear to have been
desirous of conferring the appointment on Coyde. But the

1 The Lord Chancellor, writing from his house on December I7th, 1586,
speaks of David Longdon as dead. But Sir Henry Townshend, who wrote from
Cound, near Shrewsbury, describes him as " visited with sickness and not like to
contynue longe in lief." Sir George Bromley did not write till February 6th,
158?, but he had asked in behalf of Coyde for the reversion of the office before
Longdon's death.


other Bailiff refused his assent, insisting on the election being
referred to the general voices of the burgesses of the town.
In a letter, purporting to be written in behalf of the Bailiffs
and Head Master to the Lord Chancellor, dated February
28th, 158^, it is absolutely asserted in support of this view
that David Longdon was placed in his office by the Bailiffs

Online LibraryGeorge William FisherAnnals of Shrewsbury School → online text (page 10 of 56)