George William Fisher.

Annals of Shrewsbury School online

. (page 9 of 56)
Online LibraryGeorge William FisherAnnals of Shrewsbury School → online text (page 9 of 56)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


morninge, all the scholers of the whole schoole goynge before the hearse to
churche by two and two, and the rest of the schoolem rs then remaininge follow-
inge next after, before the magistrates." School register.

a Ralph Jones was entered at Shrewsbury School in 1579. Phillips says he
was in holy orders. He subsequently became third master, and did not resign
before 1627. He was still living in 1637, and was then in receipt of a pension,
(See school account-book, school register, &c.)

3 This mode of election was permanently adopted in 1591 by the advice of
counsel.

* See BAKER'S Hist, of St. Johns College.



8o SHREWSBURY SCHOOL

materials of the old timber structures, which were gradually
removed as the new buildings of " freestone " took their place.
On September 4th, 1587, the Bailiffs wrote to St. John's
College for permission to take money from the school-chest
for necessary repairs and for the building of a library and
gallery. But though the college signified its assent on
September nth, the library and gallery do not seem to have
been in hand before the year 1S94~9S- 1 Something must
have been done previously in the way of clearing the ground,
as Meighen accounts as early as 1591 for certain " stuffe of
the schooles sold," consisting of timber and mortar and lime.
By June 24th, 1612, houses for the masters, as well as the
library and gallery, seem to have been completed, for we find
the Bailiffs writing word on that day that " all the buildings
... to be erected before the country school-house " were
finished. We read also in the school register that on October
ist, 1614, the Bailiffs and Schoolmasters had wine and cakes
in the library " instead of a banket." The school account-book
shows that the storm of March 2ist, 159!, which is recorded
in the Taylor MS. to have done serious damage to the tower
and spire of St. Mary's Church, was also the cause of con-
siderable injury to the masters' houses and other school-
buildings. Probably the damage done by this storm had the
effect of hurrying on the commencement of the new buildings
in the following year.

On June 24th, 1612, the library being now finished, the
Bailiffs asked leave of the college to take 100 from the
school-chest to buy books, adding that, after this, it would
only be necessary to spend 10 now and then in this way. 2
The master and seniors seem to have objected to the library
being furnished with books before the scholarships at St.
John's, spoken of in the ordinances, were founded, and it
was not till May, 1616, after the Bailiffs had declared their
intention of founding two scholarships, and building a school-
house in the country in the course of that summer, 3 that

1 See school account-book. 2 Hist, of St. John's College, vol. i.

3 Hist, of St. John's College, vol. i. p. 478. The Lord Chancellor had
recommended, in his decree of June 28th, 1613, that books should be purchased
for the library. (Hotchkis MSS.)



JOHN MEIGHEN 81

the college gave its sanction to the expenditure of ;ioo on
books. 1 The selection was entrusted to Meighen, and the
school accounts show that he spent on books, during the
year from November i6th, 1616, 79 6s. ^\d. out of that
sum. The college also assented at the same time to the
Bailiffs' proposal to take 240 out of the school-chest for
the erection of a school-house at Grinshill, 2 and, on Sep-
tember 1 4th, 1616, leave was given to take a further sum
of 100 on account of the "doubtfulness of the ground
whereuppon the building is sett." 3 So some beginning must
have been made in the matter, though the Bailiffs cannot
have proceeded far, as on July Qth, 1621, the college, while
sending a licence to spend an additional 100 on the country
school-house, requested that the licence might be returned
if not used, since former licences had not been carried into
effect 4

The sweating sickness, as has been before mentioned,
frequently visited Shrewsbury, and was a serious hindrance
to the prosperity of the school. We have seen that educa-
tional work there was suspended for several months in
1575-76 in consequence of the prevalence of this plague.
It broke out again in the beginning of June, 1604, and
raged with great violence till April, 1605. During this time
667 persons died in Shrewsbury, including the two Bailiffs
for the year. The streets are said to have been so little
frequented that they became mostly overgrown with grass. 5
The school dispersed at Midsummer, 1604, and did not
reassemble before May, 1605.

There is no record of the school-house at Grinshill having
been used before 1631. In that year no entry was made
in the school register between July 4th and September 26th ;
but between the latter date and November 2nd a few boys'
names are entered as admitted at Grinshill. The audit

1 See school account-book.

2 Grenshil seems to have been the old name of the place.

3 Hist, of St. John's College, vol. i. p. 479.

4 Hist, of St. John's College, vol. i. p. 485. In 1623 the Bailiffs applied for an
additional sum of ;ioo for the house at Grinshill.

5 See PHILLIPS'S Shrewsbury and the school register.

G



82 SHREWSBURY SCHOOL

took place, as usual, on November i6th, in the Exchequer,
but Meighen was not present He notes in the register that
he was at the time " at Grinshill with the schoole because of
the sickness then raiginge in the towne," and "was unable
to travayle by reason of sickness then comynge uppon "
him. His son-in-law, Thomas Hayward, represented him
at the audit. 1 This Thomas Hayward, whose name is
again mentioned in Meighen's notice of the audit of
November i6th, 1635, was the eldest son of Mr. Thomas
Hayward, of Balderton Hall, Middle, Shropshire, and was
entered in the highest school at Shrewsbury, together with
his brother George, on June I5th, 1607. He married Alice
Meighen, daughter of his old schoolmaster, and seems to
have subsequently resided for some years at Middle. A
contemporary describes him as " a comely genteel person "
and " a good scholar," who wrote " a very clarke-like hand."
He speaks of him also as "a good farmer," but says that
he neglected his business, his wife's shrewdness driving
him to the alehouse for food, and his own popularity keeping
him there longer than necessary. That outspoken person,
Mr. Gough, of Middle, in whose chronicle these details are
found, accuses Mrs. Hayward of extravagance as well as
of shrewdness. Whoever may have been in fault, Thomas
Hayward managed to get through a good property. 2 In
later years he lived in Shrewsbury, and was supported in
his old age by his brother Richard. 3 He was buried in
St. Mary's churchyard. 4

1 It does not appear from the school register when the boys returned to
Shrewsbury. But a petition from the Rev. Thomas Lloyd, Vicar of St.
Alkmond's, to the Corporation of Shrewsbury, on March 30th, 1632, shows that
the plague was then still raging in the town. Gough mentions in his History of
Middle that the school migrated again to Grinshill in the year 1649, in conse-
quence of the prevalence of the plague in Shrewsbury.

2 He owned lands in Newton and Whixall, and his wife seems to have brought
him houses in Shrewsbury as well as money. (GouGH's Middle.}

s It is probable that this is a mistake of Gough's, and that he should have
written "his brother-in-law, Richard Meighen."

4 See GOUGH'S Middle. Gough adds that Thomas Hayward's two sons,
Robert and Thomas, were apprenticed, and that his daughter went into service.
His wife Alice survived till 1660, and was buried at Middle. Alice Meighen
was baptised at St. Mary's, November 24th, 1599, and was married to Thomas



JOHN MEIGHEN 83

Three sons of Meighen were educated at Shrewsbury,
Richard, 1 Thomas, 2 and Godson. 3 The two latter graduated
at Jesus College, Cambridge, and Godson is described in
the register of benefactors under the year 1625 as " Preacher
of God's Word." Richard became a bookseller and publisher
in London. Their mother was " Mistress Joan Headley," 4
whom Meighen married at St. Mary's Church, Shrewsbury,
on September 23rd, 1587.

On September loth, 1617, the newly-finished room on the
ground floor under the library was consecrated by Dr. John
Overall, the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry, as the school
chapel. The consecration sermon was preached by the Rev.
Sampson Price, D.D., Incumbent of All-Hallows-the-More,
Thames Street, London, a former scholar of Shrewsbury. 5
It was subsequently printed and published by Richard
Meighen, under the title The Beauty of Holiness ; or, the
Consecration of a House of Prayer by the Example of our
Saviour, &c. It has been already mentioned that in 1582
the chapel on the south side of the chancel of St. Mary's,
which was known thenceforth as " the scholars' chapel," was
repaired and beautified at the school charges, to the intent

Hayward September 3Oth, 1630. Three of their children were baptised at
St. Mary's: Robert on August I2th, 1632; Mary on November nth, 1634
(buried January I2th), and Elizabeth on January 6th, 163^. Thomas Hayward is
described by Chaloner as one of his familiar friends at Shrewsbury. They were
probably at school together. He was still living in 1652.

1 Richard Meighen was baptised at St. Mary's, February 7th, I5f, and ad-
mitted to the school on April 29th, 1606. A boy of the same name entered in
1 594 was probably a son of Mr. Richard Meighen, who was baptised at St. Julian's
March I7th, 158^.

2 Thomas Meighen was baptised at St. Mary's, January I3th, 159^. He was
entered in the highest school on January loth, i6of , and admitted at Jesus College,
Cambridge, March 3ist, i6r; B.A., 1614; M.A., 1620.

3 Godson Meighen was baptised at St. Mary's, November 3Oth, 1598. Entered
Shrewsbury April ist, 1609; Scholar of Jesus College, Cambridge, July nth,
1618 ; B. A., 1619 ; Benefactor to school library, 1623 and 1625.

4 Joan Meighen, wife of John Meighen, was buried at St. Mary's, July I5th,
1636, surviving her husband only a few months.

5 Sampson Price, son of the Rev. Thomas Price, Vicar of St. Chad's,
Shrewsbury, was born in 1586, and entered Shrewsbury School on November
2nd, 1601, but made but a short stay at school, matriculating at Exeter College,
Oxford, as cler. fil. of Salop in April, 1602, at the age of sixteen. For further
details of his career see later on.



84 SHREWSBURY SCHOOL

that on Sundays, holidays, and half-holidays the masters and
scholars should resort there for divine service and the religious
instruction of the boys. Seats were also provided for them
in the chancel when sermons were preached.

But, for some reason or other, the custom of frequenting
St. Mary's Church seems to have been given up about 1605
or 1606, and in a Chancery Decree of Lord Ellesmere on
June 28th, 1613, the masters were ordered to resume the
practice. Directions were also given that the chapel should
be kept in repair out of the school funds, and that a suitable
allowance should be made to the curate of St. Mary's, or
some other sufficient person, to be chosen by the Bailiffs and
Head Master, for saying the service and catechising the
scholars. 1 Until the consecration of the chapel attached to
the school - buildings the curate of St. Mary's acted as
catechist ; but when the boys acquired their own chapel
apart from St. Mary's he could no longer discharge those
duties, and the Rev. John Foorde was appointed catechist
at a salary of 20? Probably the room under the library was
not originally intended for a chapel ; but when it became
inconvenient to frequent St. Mary's for divine service, it was
resolved to adapt it for the purpose. In 1623 the school was
relieved by the Court of Chancery from the obligation of
keeping in repair the school chapel in St. Mary's, and the
payment of 20 per annum to the catechist for teaching in
the new chapel was sanctioned at the same time. 3

The register book for the library from 1596 to 1634
gives us in Meighen's handwriting the names of old scholars
and other friends of the school who, between these dates, gave
books to the school library, or money to purchase them. The
Head Master's father, who died in February, i6if, left 2os.
to be spent in books at the discretion of his son. It is
probable also that Richard Meighen, the London bookseller,
was instrumental in obtaining some of the many gifts which

1 See Hotchkis MSS.

2 See school account-book. Mr. Foorde continued to hold the office till 1627.
He died in August, 1628, and was buried at St. Mary's.

3 Hotchkis MSS.



JOHN MEIGHEN 85

were made to the library in 1617 and subsequent years by
citizens and merchants of London. His own name does
not occur in the list till 1630. He is described as citizen
and stationer of London. The iron rods and chains with
which Meighen fitted up the presses in the library for
the better security of the books, and the care with which
he entered the names of donors in the register, appear to
indicate considerable interest on his part in the matter ; but,
strangely enough, there is no record of his having presented
any books himself. We even find him making a charge of
2 in 1631-32 for copying into the register the names of
books and benefactors. 1

Although during Meighen's long career as Head Master
the prosperity of the school was marred from time to time by
outbreaks of sickness in the town, by serious controversies
between him and the Bailiffs, and, during his last few years,
when he retained the general superintendence of the school,
although unable to continue teaching in the highest room,
by the evils attendant on a divided government, we find
Shrewsbury described in 1627, as it had been before described
by Camden in Lawrence's time, as " the best filled school in
England." Thomas Pritchard, Archdeacon of Llandaff and
Vice-President of Jesus College, Oxford, testified to this
effect in a note made in a book which he presented to the
library of his old school in this year, where he calls Shrews-
bury his " Dulcissima Nutrix," and describes it as " totius
Angliae numerosissima Schola." 2

The average entry of boys during the fifty-two years of

1 See school account-book and register of benefactors.

2 The Archdeacon was entered in the second school on July iQth, 1607, as
an alien. In 1610 he matriculated at Jesus College, Oxford, as cler. fil. of
Pembrokeshire, aged nineteen ; B.A., 1613; M.A., 1615; D.D.,i628; Archdeacon
of Llandaff, 1627. He probably died during the Commonwealth, as his arch-
deaconry was filled up in 1660. ( WOOD'S Alhen. Oxon.} Several boys of his
name were entered at Shrewsbury School between 1602 and 1616, but the only
alien was entered in 1607. Blakeway somewhat hastily identified the oppidan
who entered school in 1612 with the Pembrokeshire man who matriculated at
Oxford in 1610. Pritchard's use of Camden's words renders it doubtful whether
he is not referring more to the past glories of the school than to its prosperity at
the time he was writing.



86 SHREWSBURY SCHOOL

Meighen's head - mastership exceeded ninety-seven. It is
interesting to note in the register, towards the close of the
sixteenth century, the gradual disuse of the patronymic Ap,
and the adoption, in Wales and the bordering counties, of
permanent surnames. Between 1562 and 1590 we find no
less than 557 names with the Welsh prefix in question, while
subsequently to 1590 it occurs only eighty-five times. Ap
David becomes Davies ; Ap Edward, Edwardes ; Ap Griffith,
Griffiths or Griffies ; Ap John, Johnes or Jones ; Ap Richard,
Richards or Richardson or Pritchard ; Ap Hugh, Hughes or
Pugh ; Ap Owen, Owens, Owen, or Bowen ; Ap Thomas,
Thomas ; Ap William, Williams ; Ap Rees, Prees, Preece, or
Price ; Ap Robert, Roberts or Probart. There are several
other names in the school register of a similar class, but
those mentioned are the most important. Powel seems to
have almost entirely supplanted Ap Howel at a compara-
tively early date. The forms Bedwarde, Bevan, Probart, and
Pigeon, for Ap Edward, Ap Evan, Ap Robert, and Ap John,
are rare. The name Prothero does not occur in the school
register, but there are several examples of its older forms,
Ap Retherche, Ap Rithroughe, Ap Rhetoroch, Pretherche,
and Pretheroughe.

Meighen appears to have ceased to teach in the highest
school early in 1632, but it was not till March, 163^, that
the Bailiffs entered into negotiations with St. John's College,
with a view to his resignation of the head -mastership.
Ultimately it was arranged, with the consent of the Bishop
of Lichfield and Coventry, that Meighen should receive
;ioo down and an annual pension of 20, and should
also have the use of the school -house at Grinshill for his
life. In September, 1635, he formally resigned the office he
had held so long, and his death followed a few months
after. On February 3rd, 1634, he was buried in St. Mary's
Church.

Incidental mention has been made already of some of
Meighen's Shrewsbury pupils, and it will be well to add
here a few notes as to the after life of others who attained
distinction in the world. Some of them became bishops.



JOHN MEIGHEN 87

John Hanmer, 1 who entered school in 1585, after graduating
at Oxford, was made in due course Rector of Bingham, in
Nottinghamshire, a Prebendary of Worcester, Chaplain to
the King, and, in 1623, Bishop of St. Asaph.

Morgan Owen, 2 a native of Carmarthenshire, who, while
residing at Oxford, built at his own cost the porch of St.
Mary's Church, was consecrated Bishop of LlandafT in 1638.
Edward Wolley 3 was a native of Shrewsbury and a graduate
of St. John's College, Cambridge. His first preferment was
the Rectory of Adderley, in Shropshire. Subsequently the
King presented him to the Wardenship of Manchester and
Rectory of Croxton, which were worth together 1400 a
year. Dr. Wolley was a staunch loyalist, and is said by
Baker to have done and suffered many things during the
Rebellion for his King, for his church, for liberty, and for
the laws, strenuously defending his oppressed country with
his tongue, his pen, and, for aught he knew, with his sword.
Certainly he lost all his preferments, and was banished.
After the Restoration he lost no time in bringing his various
claims before Charles II. On October 1st, 1660, he peti-
tioned the King, asking for one of the four Sees of Lichfield,

1 John Hanmer was second son of Mr. David Hanmer, of Pentrepant, near
Oswestry, who had himself been at Shrewsbury. He matriculated at Oriel
College, Oxford, in 1592, as pleb. fil. of Salop, aged sixteen. B.A. in 1597 ;
M.A. in 1600; B.D. in 1615 ; D.D. in 1616 ; Fellow of All Souls, 1596 ; Proctor,
1605. Died at Pentrepant July 23rd, 1629, and was buried at Selattyn, where
there is a brass to his memory. (Blakeway MSS.; WOOD'S A then. Oxon.; Diet.
Nat. Biog.}

2 Morgan Owen entered school in 1595. He matriculated at Jesus College,
Oxford, on December i6th, 1608, as pleb. fil., aged twenty-three; B.A., 1609;
M.A. (Hart Hall), 1616; D.D. (Jesus College), 1636. He was impeached with
other bishops in 1641 for protesting against the Acts of the Long Parliament, and
was imprisoned in the Tower for six months. He died in 1645. He endowed
Carmarthen School with ,30 per annum. ( WOOD'S Athen. Oxon.}

3 Edward Wolley was second son of Mr. Thomas Wolley, of Shrewsbury,
Vintner, Bailiff in 1619. He was baptised at St. Julian's January 3ist, :6oJ ;
entered school, or rather was promoted from the Accidence School, December
I3th, 1613, and was re-entered in 1619 in the highest school. On April I3th,
1622, he was admitted at St. John's College, Cambridge. When made Rector of
Adderley in 1638 he was then only B.A. He was with the King at Oxford, and
was admitted there to the degree of D.D. on December 2Oth, 1643. (Calendar of
State Papers, Domestic; BAKER'S Hist, of St. John's College; WOOD'S Fasti;
Blakeway MSS.}



88 SHREWSBURY SCHOOL

Hereford, Peterborough, or Bristol. A few months later, on
December 5th, 1660, he wrote again, making the more humble
request that he might be appointed Dean of Lichfield. But
he does not appear to have obtained any preferment, although
King Charles made him his Chaplain, till 1662, when he re-
ceived the Rectory of Toppesfield, in Essex. In 1665 he was
consecrated at Tuam Bishop of Clonfert and Kilmacogh, in
Ireland. He died in 1684. Burnet tells an ill-natured story
about Bishop Wolley, which Cole entirely disbelieved, but
for which there was probably some foundation. After all,
the story is more to the discredit of the King than of the
Bishop. Its purport is that the King told Burnet that a
chaplain of his, " a great blockhead," to whom he had given
a living in Suffolk, made friends with the nonconformists in
his parish. What he said to them, the King added, he could
not think, as he was a very silly fellow, but his nonsense
suited their nonsense, and he got them all to church. So
he had made him an Irish bishop.

Francis Dee, 1 Bishop of Peterborough, was also probably
at Shrewsbury School, though only for the last few months
before he went to Cambridge. Daniel Price, 2 Dean of

1 Francis Dee was son of the Rev. David Dee, a native of Shropshire, who
was made Rector of Great St. Bartholomew in London in 1587. He was
admitted at Merchant Tailors' School on April 26th, 1591, and seems to have
removed to Shrewsbury on October I7th, 1594. In 1596 he became a scholar
of St. John's College, Cambridge; B.A., 1600; M.A., 1603; B.D., 1617; Rector
of Holy Trinity, London, 1606-1620 ; Minister of All Hallows, Lombard Street,
1615-1634; Chancellor of Salisbury, 1618 ; Dean of Chichester, 1630; Bishop
of Peterborough, 1634. Died October 8th, 1638. (See Hist, of St. John's College ;
NEWCOURT'S Repertorium ; WOOD'S Athen. Oxon.; Diet, of Nat. Biog.}

2 Daniel Price entered school June 7th, 1596, and matriculated at St. Mary
Hall, Oxford, in 1597, at the age of sixteen. He afterwards removed to Exeter
College, where he graduated B.A. in 1602, M.A. in 1604, B.D. in 1611,
and D.D. in 1613; Rector of Worthen in Shropshire and Llanteglos in
Cornwall ; Chaplain to Prince Henry and Prince Charles, as well as to the
King; J.P. for the counties of Shropshire, Cornwall, and Montgomery. Bishop
Corbet, of Norwich, is responsible for a coarse but telling epigram, which
alludes to the Dean's annual sermon on the anniversary of the death of Prince
Henry. Wood has a long article on Daniel Price. Among other stories about
him he quotes one from a book called Puritanism, the Mother; Sin> the Daughter,
to the effect that he became a Roman Catholic on his death-bed. He died
September 23rd, 1631, and was buried at Worthen, where there is a monument to
his memory. (See Athen. Oxon., and OWEN and BLAKEWAY.)



JOHN MEIGHEN 89

Hereford, and his brother, Sampson Price, 1 Prebendary of
Hereford, were clergymen of some note in their day, and
also prolific writers. Both were royal chaplains. Sampson
Price was a great controversialist, and known as " Malleus
Haereticorum." Their father was the Rev. Thomas Price,
curate of St. Chad's, Shrewsbury. Francis Gibbons, 2
another Shrewsbury - born boy, also became a royal
chaplain in the reign of Charles I. Richard Allestree, 3

1 Sampson Price was born in 1585, and entered Shrewsbury November 2nd,
1601. After little more than a year at school he proceeded to Exeter College,
Oxford; but he graduated, B.A. in 1606 and M.A. in 1608, as a member of
Hart Hall. Again at Exeter, when he took the degrees of B.D. in 1615,
and D.D. in 1617. It was in this year that he preached the sermon at the
consecration of Shrewsbury School Chapel. At this time he was Vicar of Christ
Church, London, having been appointed to that cure in October, 1617. His
first preferment seems to have been that of " Preacher and Parson of Carfax
in Oxford." He held those offices in 1607. Subsequently he was made
lecturer, first of St. Olave's, London, and then of St. Gregory's, adjoining
St. Paul's Church, London. On June 28th, 1617, he was appointed Incumbent
of All-Hallows-the-More, Thames Street, London. In 1620 he received a
patent of appointment to the curacy of St. Chad, Shrewsbury, but it does
not seem certain that he ever discharged its duties. He died in 1630, and
was buried in Christ Church, London. (See WOOD'S Athen. Oxon., and OWEN
and BLAKEWAY.) Benefactor to school library, 1607 and 1611.

2 Francis Gibbons was second son of Mr. Nicholas Gibbons, of the Abbey
Foregate, coroner of Shrewsbury. He was baptised at St. Julian's, July iQth,
1588 ; entered school October I4th, 1597, and re-entered December loth, 1601 ;
matriculated at Christ Church, Oxford, in 1602, as gen. fil. of Salop, aged
thirteen; B.A., 1607; M.A., 1609; B.D., 1616 ; D.D., 1618. On February



Online LibraryGeorge William FisherAnnals of Shrewsbury School → online text (page 9 of 56)