Great Britain. India Office.

Imperial gazetteer of India .. (Volume 15) online

. (page 30 of 50)
Online LibraryGreat Britain. India OfficeImperial gazetteer of India .. (Volume 15) → online text (page 30 of 50)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Provinces, situated in 21 25' N. and 79 2' E., on the Kanhan river,
22 miles north of Nagpur city, and 6 miles from the Chhindwara
road. Population (1901), 7,615. The town is built on a site high
above the river and immediately overhanging it, while on the land side
it is completely shut in by fine groves. Khapa was constituted a
municipality in 1867. The income during the decade ending 1901
averaged Rs. 6,500. In 1903-4 the income was Rs. 9,000, octroi being
the principal head of receipt. Thirty years ago Khapa was described
as one of the most flourishing towns in the District, and its decrease in
population is to be attributed to changes in the course of trade. Hand
cotton-weaving, the principal local industry, is now declining owing to
the competition of the mills. Khapa is not favourably situated for the
location of ginning and pressing factories, and is therefore being sup-
planted by its younger rivals in the centre of the cotton area. Cotton
cloths in various colours for women are principally woven. Two
weekly markets are held here, and the town contains a vernacular
middle and a girls' school, and a dispensary.

Kharaghoda. — Village in the Viramgam taluka of Ahmadabad
District, Bombay, situated in 23 N. and 71 50' E., on the border of
the Little Rann of Cutch. Population (1901), 2,108. At the time
when Ahmadabad passed to the British, the eastern shore of the Little
Rann contained five large salt-works in the possession of petty chiefs.
These were gradually acquired by purchase between 1822 and 1840,
and were subsequently closed in 1875 in favour of a single manufactory
at Kharaghoda. This, however, proved unequal to meeting the con-
stantly increasing demand for salt; and in 188 1-2 new salt-works were
opened at Ooru, which is 6 miles north of Kharaghoda and is con-
nected with it by a line of rail. In 1904-5 the total out-turn of salt
from these two works was 2,545,521 maunds, of which 2,313,965
maunds were sold. Kharaghoda is the head-quarters of two Assistant
Collectors of Salt Revenue, one of whom is in charge of the works and
the other of the preventive establishment which patrols a line extend-
ing from Dhanduka to Jamaiya. The town contains a dispensary,
a library, a dharmsala, and a market; and water is supplied by pipes
from a tank built at a cost of 2§ lakhs about a mile to the north
of the town.

Kharagpur.— Village in the head-quarters subdivision of Monghyr
District, Bengal, situated in 25 7' N. and 86° 33' E. Population
(1901), 2,442. The pargana named after it now forms part of the
estates of the Maharaja of Darbhanga. The village is best known for
its irrigation works. These consist of a dam across the river Man,



K/IM



Online LibraryGreat Britain. India OfficeImperial gazetteer of India .. (Volume 15) → online text (page 30 of 50)