Gurney S Strong.

Early landmarks of Syracuse online

. (page 21 of 22)
Online LibraryGurney S StrongEarly landmarks of Syracuse → online text (page 21 of 22)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Indian work of the age par excellence, as "derived
from the verbal narrations of the late Abraham
Le Fort, an Onondaga Chief," it is as well that the
public should be informed truly of the source.

This letter is signed by Joshua V. H. Clark, and it
is dated Manlius, Onondaga county, New York,
January 2, 185G.



366 THE LEGEND OF HIAWATHA

Homer D. L. Sweet, in his biographical sketch of
Joshua V. H. Clark, whose death occurred in Manilas,
June 18, 1869, in his sixty-seventh year, says: "Very
unfortunately for Mr. Schoolcraft, he replied to Mr.
Clark, and imputed motives to him unworthy of a
gentleman. Mr. Clark, in a rejoinder, produced the
proofs and convicted Mr. Schoolcraft of plagiarism, if
not of untruthfulness."

Mr. Longfellow sent a copy of his " Song of
Hiawatha " to Mr. Clark, January, 185G, accompa-
nying it with a letter, which was given to the Onon-
daga Historical Association.

Mr.Beauchamp,in a letter to the Syracuse Standard,
April 11, 1894, makes reference to another legend of
Hiawatha, accidentally found by him in a book
published in 1839. This book is entitled: "The
History of the New Netherlands, Province of New
York and State of New York, to the adoption of the
Federal Constitution," written by William Dunlap
and printed for the author by Carter & Thorp of New
York in 1839. Mr. Dunlap says that he had frequent
communication with Ephraim Webster, the Indian
interpreter, and he adds: "Mr. Webster was most
conversant with the Onondagas, and when I knew him
in 1815, cultivated land in Onondaga Hollow, and was
looked up to by the Indians as a friend and father."

Mr. Dunlap's account of the origin of the Iroquois
confederation is as follows : —



AN EARLIER LEGEND 367

The Indian tradition of the origin of the confed-
eracy as given by him [Ephraim Webster], was as
follows : He said that the happy thought of union for
defence originated with an inferior Chief of the
Onondagas, who perceiving that although the five
tribes were alike in language, and had by co-operation
conquered a great extent of country, yet that they had
frequent quarrels and no head or great council, to
reconcile them; and that while divided, the Western
Indians attacked and destroyed them ; seeing this, he
conceived the bright idea of union, and of a great
council of the chiefs of the Five Nations. This, he
said, and perhaps thought, came to him in a dream;
and it was afterward considered as coming from the
Great Spirit. He proposed this plan in a council of
his tribe, but the principal chief opposed it. He was
a great warrior, and feared to lose his influence as
head man of the Onondagas. This was a selfish man.

The younger chief, who we will call Oweko, was
silenced; but he determined in secret to attempt the
great political work. This was a man who loved the
welfare of others. To make long journeys and be
absent for several days while hunting, would cause
no suspicion, because it was common. He left home
as if to hunt ; but taking a circuitous path through
the woods, for all this great country was then a
wilderness, he made his way to the village or castle
of the Mohawks. He consulted some of the leaders



368 THE LEGEND OF HIAWATHA

of that tribe, and they received the scheme favorably ;
he visited the Oneidas, and gained the assent of their
chief ; he then returned home. After a time he made
another pretended hunt, and another; thus, by de-
grees, visiting the Cayugas and Senecas, and gained
the assent of all to a great council to be held at Onon-
daga. With consummate art he then gained over his
own chief, by convincing him of the advantages of
the confederacy, and agreeing that he should be con-
sidered as the author of the plan. The great council
met, and the chief of the Onondagas made use of a
figurative argument, taught him by Oweko, which
was the same that we read of in the fable, where a
father teaches his sons the value of union by taking
one stick from a bundle, and showing how feeble it
was, and easily broken, and that when bound together
the bundle resisted his utmost strength.

Mr. Beau champ's letter, to which reference has been
made, contains a letter to him from Dr. Horatio Hale,
the distinguished philologist, in which Dr. Hale says :
" ' Oweko ' does not differ so widely from ' Hiawatha '
that we may not fairly presume to have been a corrup-
tion of the latter name, made in passing from one
dialect to another, and finally into English. The
Mohawk form of the name, as you will see in the
'Book of Rites,' p. 128, is Ayonhwahtha. The
strong dental aspirate, represented by ' htk,' heard by
a foreign ear, might easily become a 'k.' We have
many examples of corruption quite as great."



DR. HORATIO HALE'S OPINION 369

Regarding the words " Oweko " and " Hiawatha,"
Mr. Beauchamp says: "In regard to Mr. Hale's
conjecture on the name, while good, it is hardly
required, as the relator of Webster's story merely
says : ' The younger chief, whom we will call Oweko,
was silenced.' The inference is that he was uncertain
in his recollection of the name, and gave it as best he
could."

Dr. Hale is of the opinion "that the justly venerated
author of this confederation, the far-famed Hiawatha,
was not, as some have thought, a mythological or a
poetical creation, but really an aboriginal statesman
and law-maker, a personage as authentic and as admir-
able as Solon or Washington. The important bearing of
these conclusions on our estimate of the mental and
moral endowments of primitive or uncultivated man
is too clear to require explanation."

Mr. Beauchamp, while not agreeing entirely with
this opinion of Dr. Hale, is inclined to think that it is
in the main correct.



CHAPTER XXIII



SHORT HISTORY OF SYRACUSE



The old town of Salina, now the towns of Salina
and Geddes and the city of Syracuse, the greater part
of which was originally embraced in the Salt Springs
Reservation, was incorporated March 27, 1809, its
territory having been a part of the original townships
of Manlius and Marcellus. The villages of Syracuse,
Salina and Geddes, now forming the greater part of
the city of Syracuse, were originally in the town of
Salina. The village of Salina was incorporated March
12, 1824. The village of Syracuse was incorporated
April 13, 1825; and the first meeting for the election
of village officers was held at the old schoolhouse
May 3, 1825. The village of Geddes was incorporated
April 20, 1832, though a map of the site of Geddes
village was made as early as 1807, and several other
maps a few years later. Geddes was not formed as a
town until 1848. The town included all that part of
the town of Salina west of Onondaga lake, not now
embraced in the city of Syracuse. Syracuse was

(37(0



DATES OF INCORPORATIONS 371

incorporated by act of Legislature as a city, December

14, 1847, and it included the villages of Salina and
Syracuse. An election was held in those two villages
January 3, 1848; and by the vote of that election the
act of incorporation became a law. The first election
in the city of Syracuse was held March 7, 1848, and
the first Common Council meeting was held March 13,
1848. The annexation of Geddes and adjacent terri-
tory to Syracuse, was authorized by act of Legislature
May 17, 188G. The Danforth territory was authorized
to be annexed to Syracuse by act of Legislature June

15, 1886. Danforth had been incorporated as a village
after the election held December 21, 1874, favoring
such action.

The city of Syracuse is situated in the midst of a
rich agricultural region, and near the centre of New
York state. It is a favorable place for holding
conventions, because of its central location ; and it is
often called "The City of Conventions" and "The
Central City." Syracuse is the county seat of Onon-
daga county. This county was originally formed
from the western part of Herkimer county, March 5,
1794, and included all of the Military Tract, the
boundaries of which embraced, (besides the territory
of the present Onondaga county,) all of what is now
included in the counties of Cayuga, Seneca, Cortland,
and all of that part of Tompkins county lying north
of a line drawn west from the head of Seneca lake to



372 SHORT HISTORY OF SYRACUSE

the southwest corner of Cortland county, and all that
part of Oswego county lying west of the Oswego river.
From this then great county, Cayuga was taken off
March 8, 1799; Cortland, April 8, 1808; and a part of
( )swego, March 1, 1810. When organized, the county
was divided into eleven towns, viz: Homer, Pompey, .
Manlius, Lysander, Marcellus, Ulysses, Milton, Scipio,
Ovid, Anrelius and Romulus. The town of Onondaga
was set off from the original townships of Marcellus,
Pompey and Manlius, by an act of Legislature, March
9, 1798. A part of Salina was taken off in 1809, and a
part of Camillus in 1834.

The first courts in Onondaga county were held in
barns and private residences at Onondaga, Levaima,
on the shore of Cayuga lake, now in Cayuga county,
and Ovid, now in Seneca county. The first court
house was erected at Onondaga Hill in 1805-'06. The
commissioners appointed to select the site for the
court house were Asa Danforth, George Ballard and
Roswell Tousley.

The Walton Tract, which plays such an important
part in the history of Syracuse, being situated in what
is now the heart of the city, and consisting of 250 acres
of land of the Salt Springs Reservation, was sold at
public auction in June, 1804, and bid off by Abraham
Walton for $6,550. The sale was authorized by act of
Legislature, and the proceeds were expended in laying
out and improving a road running from lot forty-nine,



THE WALTON TRACT 373

Manlius, to lot thirty-eight, Onondaga, east and west
through the reservation. This road was the old
Seneca turnpike. The laud had been advertised for
sale with the announcement that upon it was a good
mill site. The tract was laid out in an irregular form
by James Geddes, in order that as much dry land
might be secured as possible. But notwithstanding all
the precaution of Mr. Geddes, it was found impossible
to locate the ground in such a manner as to avoid
entirely the swamp, some considerable portion of
which was covered with water most of the year; a
doleful place, indeed, for the site of a future city.

A portion of the Walton Tract was sold to Michael
Hogan and Charles Walton, who, with the original
proprietor, held it in common. After some unim-
portant changes, the tract was sold in 1814, for $9,000,
to Formau, Wilson & Company, composed of Joshua
Forman, Ebenezer Wilson, Jr., and John B. Creed.
The tract was sold by the Sheriff, October 26, 1818, to
Daniel Kellogg and William H. Sabin for $10,915.
The next owner was Henry Eckford, the celebrated
ship builder of New York. He purchased it in 1823.
In May, 1821, the Walton Tract was transferred for
$30,000 to the Syracuse Company, composed of William
James of Albany, who owned five-eights; Isaiah
Townsend and John Townsend of Albany, who owned
two-eighths; and James McBride of New York, who
owned one-eighth. The tract was then deeded in



374 SHORT HISTORY OF SYRACUSE

trust to Moses D. Burnet and Gideon Hawley. During

all this time, extensive sales had been made of portions

of this tract to different individuals.

The village officers of Syracuse are as follows:

L 825. — Trustees — Joshua Forman, President; Amos
P. Granger, Moses D. Burnet, Heman Walbridgc,
John Rogers. Assessors — James Webb, Alfred
Northam, Thomas Spencer. Clerk — John Wil-
kinson. Treasurer — John Durnford.

1826. — Trustees — William Malcolm, President; Jonas
Mann, John Wall, Henry Young, A. N. Van
Patten, Assessors — A. N. Van Patten, Stephen
W. Cadwell, Alfred Northam. Clerk—Peter
Van Olinda. Treasurer — John Durnford.

1827. — Trustees — Jonas Mann, President; Archie
Kasson, John Wilkinson, James Webb, Jonathan
Day. Assessors — Stephen W. Cadwell, Parent
Filkins, Humphrey Mellen. Clerk — John C.
Field. Treasurer — Volney Cook.

1828. — Trustees — Henry Newton, President; John
Wall, Amos P. Granger, John Wilkinson, John
H. Johnson. Assessors — Joseph Slocum, Calvin
Riley, Pliny Dickinson. Clerk — John C. Field.
Treasurer — Stephen W. Cadwell.

L829.— Trustees— Stephen W. Cadwell, President;
Joseph Slocum, B. Davis Noxon, Calvin Riley,
H. W. Van Buren. Assessors — Elbert Norton,
James Webb, W. B. Kirk. Clerk— John C.
Field. Treasurer — George Fitch.



VILLAGE OFFICERS 375

1830.— Trustees— William B. Kirk, President; Elbert
Norton, Schuyler Strong, Columbus Bradley,
H. W. Van Buren. Assessors — R. I. Brockway,
David Stafford, Joseph Savage. Clerk — John C.
Field. Treasurer — Hiram Judson.

1.831. — Trustees — Daniel Elliott, President; B. Davis
Noxon, Elijah Dunlap, Columbus Bradley, Ros-
well Hinman. Assessors — Theodore Ashley,
William H. Alexander, Paschal Thurber. Clerk —
Hiram A. Deniing. Treasurer — Elbert Norton.

1832. — Trustees — Hiram Putnam, President; Will-
iam Malcolm, David Stafford, jr., Willet Raynor,
Columbus Bradley. Assessors — Daniel Elliott,
George Hooker, Mather Williams. Clerk —
Hiram A. Deniing. Treasurer — Elbert Norton.

L833. — Trustees — Henry Davis, jr., President;
Columbus Bradley, Stephen W. Cadwell, Lewis
H. Redfield, John H. Johnson. Assessors— Amos
P. Granger, John Wilkinson, David S. Colvin.
Clerk — Edward B. Wicks. Treasurer — Hiram
A. Deniing.

1834. — Trustees — B. Davis Noxon, President; Lyman
Phillips, Silas Ames, Paschal Thurber, William
K. Blair. Assessors — Hiram Putnam, George
W. Burnet, Harmon W. Van Buren. Clerk —
J. E. Hanchett. Treasurer — Hiram A. Deming.

1835. — Trustees — Stephen W. Cadwell, President;
Vivus W. Smith, Elihu Walter, Silas Ames,



376 SHORT HISTORY OF SYRACUSE

Roswell Hiuman. Assessors — Lewis H. Red field,
Henry W. Starin, Thomas Bennett. Clerk —
Peter Cutwater, jr. Treasurer — Hiram Judson.

1 836. — Trustees — Pliny Dickinson. President; Thomas
B. Fitch, William Jackson, Elihu L. Phillips,
James Huff. Assessors — William B. Kirk, David
Stafford, jr., Hiram Putnam. Clerk — Levi L.
Chapman. Treasurer — Charles B. Hargin.

L837. — Trustees — Elias W. Leavenworth, President;
William Jackson, John H. Lathrop, Theodore
Wood, Samuel Larned. Assessors — Hiram Put-
nam, William H. Alexander, Robert Furman.
Clerk — H. Nelson Cheney. Treasurer — Edward
B. Wicks.

1838. — Trustees — Elias W. Leavenworth, President;
Jonathan Baldwin, Robert Furman, Amos P.
Granger, Ziba W. Cogswell. Assessors — Pliny
Dickinson, Charles A. Baker, John H. Lathrop.
Clerk — Samuel D. Day. Treasurer — Edward
B. Wicks.

is:; 1 .). — Trustees — Elias W. Leavenworth, President;
Jonathan Baldwin, Robert Furman, Amos P.
Granger, Ziba W. Cogswell. Assessors — Pliny
Dickinson, Charles A. Baker, John H. Lathrop.
Clerk — Samuel D. Day. Treasurer — Edward
B. Wicks.

is io. -Trustees — Elias W. Leavenworth, President;
Jonathan Baldwin, Paschal Thurber, Gardner



VILLAGE OFFICERS 377

Lawrence, Lucius A. Cheney. Assessors — Jona-
than Baldwin, William K. Blair, Charles A.
Baker. Clerk — Jasper Smith. Treasurer — Har-
mon W. Van Buren.
1841. — Trustees — Thomas T. Davis, President; Will-
iam Barker, Elisha George, Hiram Putnam,
Johnson Hall. Assessors — William H. Alexander,
William Malcolm, Mather Williams. Clerk —
William M. Clarke. Treasurer — Harmon W.
Van Buren.
1842. — Trustees — Henry W. Durnford, President;
George Stevens, Joseph Savage, Charles A. Baker,
Robert Furman. Assessors — Horace Butts, Ansel
Lull, Henry Gifford. Clerk — John K. Barlow.
Treasurer — Pliny Dickinson.
1843. — Trustees — Henry Rhoades, President; George
Stevens, Alanson Thorp, R. R. Phelps, Smith
Ostrom. Assessors — John Newell, William
Barker, Horace Butts. Clerk — Richard A. Yoe.
Treasurer — Hiram Putnam.
1844.— Trustees— Philo D. Mickles, President; Alex-
ander McKinstry, Horace Butts, Robert Furman,
Lucius A. Cheney. Assessors — Joseph Slocum,
Charles A. Baker, Jared H. Parker. Clerk —
Rodolphus H. Duell. Treasurer — Hiram Putnam.
1K4T>. — Trustees — William Barker, President; Jared
H. Parker, Alexander McKinstry, L. A. Cheney,
Bradley Cary. Assessors — William B. Kirk,



378 SHORT HISTORY OF SYRACUSE

Charles A. Baker, Joseph Slocurn. Clerk — Caleb
B. Crumb. Treasurer — Hiram Putnam.

184G. — Trustees — Elias W. Leavenworth, President ;
S. A 7 . R.VanHeusen, Hamilton White, William B.
Kirk, JosephBillings. Assessors — George Stevens,
Charles A. Baker, William Barker. Clerk —
Oliver R. W. Lull. Treasurer — Hiram Putnam.

1847. — Trustees — Elias W. Leavenworth, President;
Alexander McKinstry, Charles Leonard, Henry
Agnew, Perley B.Cleveland. Assessors — William
Barker, Harmon W. Van Buren, J. H. Parker.
Clerk — Daniel P. Wood. Treasurer — Hiram
Putnam.
The city officers of Syracuse are as follows :

1S4S. — Mayor — Harvey Baldwin, Democrat. Clerk
— Richard A. Yoe. Treasurer — Perry Burdick.
Aldermen — First ward — Elizur Clark, James
Lynch. Second ward — John B. Burnet, Alex-
ander McKinstry. Third ward — Gardner Law-
rence, William H. Alexander. Fourth ward —
Robert Furman, Henry W. Durnford.

L849.— Mayor— Elias W. Leavenworth, Whig. Clerk
— S. Corning Judd. Treasurer— Harmon \V.
Van Buren. Aldermen — First ward — James
Lynch, Thomas Feagan, (resigned February 26,
L850.) John P. Babcock, (appointed by Common
Council to fill vacancy.) Second ward — Alexan-
der McKinstry, Silas Titus. Third ward —



CITY OFFICERS 379

Gardner Lawrence, Amos Westcott. Fourth
ward— Henry W. Durnford, Edward B. Wicks.

1850.— Mayor— Alfred H. Hovey, Whig. Clerk—
LeRoy L. Alexander. Treasurer— Harvey Hatha-
way. Aldermen — First ward — John P. Babcock,
Miles W. Bennett. Second ward— Silas Titus,
George W. Herrick. Third ward— Amos West-
cott, John W. Barker. Fourth ward— Edward B.
Wicks, Henry D. Hatch.

1851.— Mayor— Moses D. Burnet, Loco Foco, (elected
but declined to qualify.) Horace Wheaton,
(appointed by Common Council.) Clerk— LeRoy
L. Alexander. Treasurer — James A. Castle.
Aldermen— First ward— Miles W. Bennett, Burr
Barton. Second ward— George W. Herrick,
James M. Taylor. Third ward— John W. Barker,
(removed from ward,) Benjamin L. Higgins
(elected to fill vacancy,) Volney Green. Fourth
ward — Henry D. Hatch, Charles Pope.

1852. — Mayor— Jason C. Woodruff, Loco Foco.
Clerk — LeRoy L. Alexander. Treasurer — Jacob
S. Smith. Aldermen— First ward— Burr Bur-
ton, Alonzo Crippen. Second ward — Daniel
O. Salmon, Harmon Ackerman. Third ward —
Volney Green, Addison G. Williams. Fourth
ward — Charles gope, Oliver T. Burt.

is."):;. — Mayor — Dennis McCarthy, Loco Foco. Clerk
— LeRoy L. Alexander. Treasurer — John M. Jay-
cox. Aldermen — First ward — Alonzo Crippen,



380 SHORT HISTORY OF SYRACUSE

Patrick Cooney. Second ward — Daniel O. Salmon,
Alexander McKinstry. Third ward — Addison G.
Williams, John A. Clarke. Fourth ward — Oliver
T. Burt, George J. Gardner.

1854.— Mayor— Allen Munroe, Whig. Clerk— Car-
roll E. Smith. Treasurer — S. Hervey Slosson,
Aldermen — First ward — Patrick Cooney, Rich-
ard Sanger. Second Ward — Peter Ohneth, Jacob
Pfohl. Third ward — Alexander McKinstry, Sol-
omon Wands. Fourth ward — Peter Featherly,
Francis A. Thayer. Fifth ward — William B.
Durkee, Z. Lawrence Beebe. Sixth ward — John
A. Clarke, Timothy Hough. Seventh ward —
William C. Young, Robert M. Richardson.
Eighth ward — George J. Gardner, Tobias Van
Dusen.

is,");). — Mayor — Lyman Stevens, Republican. Clerk
—Carroll E. Smith. Treasurer— S. Her-

vey Slosson. Aldermen — First ward — Richard
Sanger, Timotny R. Porter. Second ward —
Jacob Pfohl, Peter Ohneth. Third ward —
Solomon Wands, Manly T. Hilliard. Fourth
ward — Francis A. Thayer, William Kirkpatrick.
Fifth ward— Z. Lawrence Beebe, Vernam C.
James. Sixth ward — Timothy Hough, Charles
H. Wells. Seventh ward— Robert M. Richard-
son, Horatio N. White Eighth ward — Tobias
Van Dusen, Elijah M. Ford.



CITY OFFICERS 381

1856. — Mayor — Charles F. Williston, Democrat.
Clerk — Carroll E. Smith. Treasurer— Edgar
Marvin. Aldermen — First ward — Timothy R.
Porter, Coddington B. Williams. Second ward —
Peter Ohneth, Peter Conrad. Third ward — Manly
T. Hilliard, Charles Manahan. Fourth ward —
William Kirkpatrick, George Sanford. Fifth
ward — Vernam C. James, William B. Durkee.
Sixth ward — Henry Church, Amos B. Hough.
Seventh ward — Horatio N. White, Francis A.
Marsh. Eight ward — James L. Bagg, Norman
Watson.

L857. — Mayor — Charles F. Williston, Democrat.
Clerk — James S. Gillespie. Treasurer — Horace
Wheaton. Aldermen — First ward — Coddington
B. Williams, Patrick Cooney. Second ward —
Peter Conrad, Cornelius L. Alvord. Third ward
— Cliarles Manahan, John Ritchie. Fourth ward
— George Sanford, William Kirkpatrick. Fifth
ward — John C. Manly, (to fill vacancy), John J.
Mowry. Sixth ward — Amos B. Hough, Henrv
Church. Seventh ward — Francis A. Marsh,
John Radigan. Eighth ward — Norman Watson,
Samuel J. Lackey.

L858. — Mayor — William Winton, Democrat. Clerk —
James S. Gillespie. Treasurer — Horace Wheaton.
Aldermen — First ward — Patrick Cooney. Second
ward — Frederick Gilbert. Third ward — Charles



382 SHORT HISTORY OF SYRACUSE

Manahan. Fourth ward — James Johnson. Fifth
ward — Abiah P. Doane. Sixth ward — John L.
Cook. Seventh ward — Robert M. Richardson.
Eighth ward — Samuel J. Lack*ey.

L859. — Mayor — Elias W. Leavenworth, Republican.
Clerk — Edgar S. Mathews. Treasurer — Norman
Otis. Aldermen — First ward — Harvey Hatha-
way. Second ward — Adam Listman. Third
ward — Samuel P. Geer. Fourth ward- — Luke
Collins. Fifth ward— David Field. Sixth ward
—Charles P. Clark. Seventh ward — Jason S.
Hoyt. Eighth ward — Austin Myers.

1 sco. — Mayor — Amos Westcott, Republican. Clerk —
Edgar S. Mathews. Treasurer — John G. K.
Truair. Aldermen — First ward — Harvey Hatha-
way. Second ward — Adam Listman. Third
ward — Samuel P. Geer. Fourth ward — Luke
Collins. Fifth ward — David Field. Sixth ward
— Charles P. Clark. Seventh ward — Horatio N.
White. Eighth ward — Samuel J. Lackey.

1 86 1 . — May< >r — Charles Andrews, Republican. Clerk
—Edgar S. Mathews. Treasurer — John G. K.
Truair. Aldermen — First war< V— Garrett Doyle.
Second ward — Jacob Pfohl. Third ward — Samuel
P. Geer. Fourth ward— Horatio G. Glen. Fifth
ward — David Field. Sixth ward-Moses Sum-
mers. Seventh ward— Horatio N. White Eighth
ward — Ira Seymour.



CITY OFFICERS 383

1862. — Mayor — Charles Andrews, Republican. — Clerk
— Edgar S. 'Mathews. Treasurer — John G. K.
Truair. Aldermen — First ward — Garrett Doyle.
Second ward — Benedict Haberle. Third ward —
Samuel P. Geer. Fourth ward — William Sum-
mers. Fifth ward — Josiah Bettis. Sixth ward —
Charles P. Clark. Seventh ward — Horatio N.
White. Eighth ward — Ira Seymour.

L863. — Mayor — Daniel Bookstaver, Democrat. — Clerk
— Robert M. Beecher. Treasurer — DanielJ. Hal-
sted. Aldermen — First ward — Franklin Ward.
Second ward — Charles Meebold. Third ward-
Francis H. Kennedy. Fourth ward — Luke Col-
lins. Fifth ward — Jacob Pinkerton. Sixth ward
— Francis E. Carroll. Seventh ward — Parley
Bassett. Eighth ward — George J. Gardner.

1804. — Mayor — Archibald C. Powell, Republican.
Clerk — Edward H. Brown. Treasurer — John
G. K. Truair. Aldermen — First ward — Franklin
Ward. Second ward — Charles F. Wisehoon.
Third ward — Jacobus Bruyn. Fourth ward — Ho-
ratio G. Glen. Fifth ward — Josiah Bettis. Sixth
ward — Alfred Higgins. Seventh ward — John J.
Crouse. Eighth ward — Philander W. Hudson.

1805. — Mayor — William D. Stewart, Democrat. Clerk
— Edward H. Brown. Treasurer — John G. K.
Truair. Aldermen — First ward — Peter Mackin.
Second ward — Charles F. Wisehoon. Third ward —



384. SHORT HISTORY OF SYRACUSE

Jacobus Bruyn. Fourth ward — Charles Stroh.
Fifth ward — Alison A. Sweet! Sixth ward —
Alfred Higgins. Seventh ward — John J. Crouse.
Eighth ward — James Bonner.

L866. — Mayor — William D. Stewart, Democrat. Clerk
— Edgar S. Mathews. Treasurer — Moses Sum-


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 21

Online LibraryGurney S StrongEarly landmarks of Syracuse → online text (page 21 of 22)