Hamilton Child.

Gazetteer and business directory of Crawford County, Pa., for 1874 online

. (page 11 of 48)
Online LibraryHamilton ChildGazetteer and business directory of Crawford County, Pa., for 1874 → online text (page 11 of 48)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


at which he spent most of his time until the age of twenty,



RICHMOND. 89



keeping bachelor's hall, and officiating as cook, and for most
of the time as foreman of the establishment under his father.
Having acquire<l deep religious convictions and, with the aid of a
valuable library to which he was generously allowed access,
made commendable progress in acquiring the rudiments of an
education, at the age of eighteen he commenced a course of
study, with a view to preparation for the ministry in the Con-
gregational Church, but inflammation of the eyes compelled
him to abandon this project. He, however, with the aid of
books managed to become tolerably well acquainted with com-
mon arithmetic and surveying, which he practiced more or less
after the age of twenty, in Ohio, Pennsylvania and Western
Virginia. June 21, 1820, he married Dianthe Lusk, at Hud-
son, and in 1826, he removed to Richmond, where he still en-
gaged in tanning. He afterward combined his trade with the
business of farming and sheep keeping. The remains of his
tannery, which was the first erected in Richmond, are still
standing near the center of the township. The strictest inte-
grity characterized his life, and it averred by one who served
with him as an apprentice thal^ he refused to sell his leather
until it was perfectly dry, or as nearly so as human ingenuity
could make it, lest his customers should be cheated in value or
weight. About this time he joined the Presbyterian Church,
with which he remained in communion till his death. In
1832 his wife died, and the next year he married Mary A. Day,
of Meadville. In 1835 he removed to Franklin Mills, Ohio,
and in 1840 he returned to Hudson and engaged in the wool
business. He subsequently removed to Akron, Ohio, and
formed a partnership with a Mr. Perkins. They opened a large
warehouse in Springfield, Mass., and sold wool on commission,
chiefly for farmers living in Ohio and Western Pennsylvania,
and in 1846 he removed to that city. But they came in com-
petition with the New England manufacturers, who had been
accustomed to purchase wool from the growers at their own
terms, and who combined against and refused to deal with them.
Being thus deprived of a market. Brown took about 200,000
pounds of wool to England, where he was obliged to sell it for
half its value. This loss almost reduced him to poverty. While
in England he submitted to prominent abolitionists a plan'
which he originated about 1839, for the lii)eration of slaves in
America — a subject which engaged liis attention when a mere
boy — but he received no encouragement. He returmd to
America and abandoned the wool business for awhile. Learn-
ing that (ierritt Smith, of IVturboro, N. Y., had offered to give
to colored settlei s portions of lands out of large tracts belong-
ing to him in the wild regions of the Adirondacks, he obtained



90 RICHMOND.



an interview with that gentleman in which he detailed the
supreme difficulties under which the negroes labored in their
efforts to reclaim the lands in that inhospitable wilderness —
difficulties which were immeasurable enhanced by their inex-
perience — and being thoroughly conversant himself with pio-
neer life, he offered to give to those who chose to avail them-
selves of the offer the benefit of his experience, and to exercise
over them a fatherly supervision. Mr. Smith approved the
project and, though he was entirely unacquainted with the
applicant, accepted the proposition. In the summer of 1849
Brown removed his family to North Elba, Essex Co., N. Y.,
where they remained two years, and in 1851, they returned to
Akron, where Brown managed Mr. Perkins' farm and again
became associated with him in the wool business. In 1855 he
removed his family to North Elba and went to Kansas to assist
his sons who had settled there. He took a prominent and
active part in the stirring scenes which were enacted there
about that period, and opposed with all the energy of his nature
the efforts of the pro-slavery party to make Kansas a slave State.
At Ossawatomie in August, 1856, with a band of sixteen men
illy armed he held in check some 500 lawless Missourians, who
were splendidly equipped. The place where this brilliant ex-
ploit occurred afterwards became a distinguishing suffix to his
name, and the phrase "John Brown, of Ossawatomie," is only
exceeded in familiarity by the title of the tract in the great wil-
derness of Northern New York which bears his name. In May,
1859, he called a secret convention of the friends of freedom,
which met at Chatham, Canada, organized an invasion of Vir-
ginia and adopted a constitution. The following July he
rented a farm house about six miles from Harpers Ferry, and
collected there a supply of pikes, guns, &c. On the night of
Oct. 16, 1859, aided by about twenty men, he surprised Har-
pers Ferry, seized the arsenal and armory and took over forty
prisoners. About noon on the 17th Brown's party was attacked
by the Virginia militia. After two of his sons and nearly all of
his men had been killed, and himself wounded in several places,
he was captured. He was tried in November and hung at
Charlestown, Va., Dec. 2, 1859.

The M. E. Church, at New Richmond, was organized with eleven mem-
bers, about forty years ago, by Rev. Walter B. Lord, the first pastor. The
church edifice, which will seat 250 persons, was erected in 1864, at a cost
of $1,200. The Society, which numbers about 75, is under the pastoral
care of Rev. John Eckles, and its property is valued at $1,500. — [^Informa-
tion furnished hy Mi . P. W. Webster.

North Richmond M. E. Church was organized about 1840, and the church
edifice, which will seat 400 persons, was erected in 1854, at a cost of $1,500.
The Society numbers about sixty. The present pastor is Rev. Reuben



RICHMOND— R CKDALE. 9 1



Smith. The Church property is valued at about $2,000. — [^Information fur-
nished hy Mr. Emerson Charnberlin.

Riclimond Church, (Baptist) at '* Lyons Hollow," was organized with
fifteen members, Dec. 25, 1841, by Rev. E. H. Stewart, the first pastor,
and others. The first house of worship was erected in 1841 ; the present
one, which will seat 375 persons, in 1866, at a cost of $3,500. There are
seventy-eight membei's, who are under the spiritual tutelage of Rev. C. W.
Drake. The church property is valued at $4,000. — \_Inf on aation furnished
hy Mr. Ebenezer Sunt.

BOCKDALE was formed in 1811. It lies upon the
north border of the county, east of the center, and contains
21,702 square acres. It is well watered by French Creek,
(which enters the township near the center of the north line,
flows south to near the center and deflects to the west,
leaving it near the center of the west line,) and streams tribu-
tary to it, the principal of which are Muddy Creek and Thomas
and Mohawk runs. The surface is hilly, except in the valleys
of French and Muddy Creeks, which are low and level. The
soil in the valleys is a rich alluvium of great fertility ; elsewhere
it is a mixture of clay and sand. Agriculture is the chief per-
suit of the inhabitants, and dairying the principal branch of
agriculture. Until within a few years a large portion of the
township was devoted almost entirely to lumbering, which, at
present, forms an important industry. There is now more lum-
ber shipped at Millers Station than any other along this route.
Lumber is the principal article of manufacture. There are not
less than five important saw mills which manufacture daily over
60,000 feet of lumber, besides a large quantity of lath and
shingles; a grist mill, capable of grinding 45 bushels of grain
per hour; and a cheese factory, built the present year, (1873)
capacitated to use the milk of 400 cows.

The Atlantic & Great Western R. R. traverses the north-west
part of the township, following the course of French Creek,
which it crosses within the limits of the township.

The population of the township in 1870 was 1,GG4, of whom
1,5'Jl were native, 134, foreign and all, white.

During the year ending June 3, 1872, it contained twelve
schools and em})loyed twenty-four teachers. The number of
schohirs was 516; the average number attending school, 300 ;
and the amount e.xpended for school pur})08e8, $2,110.99.

Millers Station (p. o.) is a hamlet situated on the A. & G.
W. U. K., a little north-west of the center, and contains one
hotel, three stores, one blacksmith shop and one shoe shoj).

Settlement was commenced con tern [)oraneou3ly with that of
the county, in 1780, by John Hayes 2d, a native of Delaware,
who accompanied Gen. Mead in bis journey to the cuuuty.



92 ROCKDALE— ROME.

He purchased of "Wm. Hutchinson a piece of land on which he
had commenced, but not completed a settlement, paying there-
for $1,100. His daughter Sarah, now Mrs. Joseph King, who
was born in this township. May 24, 1798, and married to her
husband (who served as a captain under Gen. Hull in the war
of 1812,) in September, 1814, is still living with her daughter,
Mrs. Ezra A. Tubbs. The principal settlements were made
about 1795, under the auspices of the Holland Land Company,
who are believed to have built the first house in the township,
near what is now known as Jarvis' Mill. Isaac Kelly, from
Delaware county, and George Miller, a Baptist clergyman, from
Lehigh county, settled here about 1800. Kelly located on the
east side of French Creek, near the center of the township, at
the place now known as Wing's saw mill. Other settlers about
the same year were Hugh and Patrick McCulloph, and a man
named Priest. The McCullophs, it is believed, were natives of
Ireland. Nathan Mitchell, a native of Mass., moved into the
the township from Canada, where he had resided four years, in
1802. He settled on the line between Erie and Crawford
counties, and died in 1834. Jesse Brown, who was born in
Mass., Feb. 5, 1777, removed with his father to Vermont, where
they remained till after the war of 1812. In 1815, they re-
moved to the township of LeBoeuf, Erie county, and in 1818,
to this township, where they purchased a tract of land, on
which his father died, April 22, 1871. "When we came to this
place," says Mr. Brown, "we underwent great inconveniences.
We had to go fourteen miles through the woods to mill. But
game was plenty, and we got half our living out of the woods.
The wolves used to trouble our sheep. The bears and panthers,
though numerous, did not trouble us much." The farm of H.
li. Colwell was donated by the State to Col. Benjamin Flower,
as a Revolutionary grant, in 1785, but the present owner was
the first to settle it, in 1838.

The only church ever erected in the township was built by a
Baptist Society, in 1825. It was situated on the farm now
occupied by Daniel Miller, but was long since torn down.
Elder George Miller, was the officiating clergyman. Isaac
Miller was an active member of this church. He was drowned
in French Creek one Sabbath morning in 1832, while crossing
upon the ice on his way to attend church.

ROME was formed in 1830. It lies upon the center of the
east border of the county and contains 22,554 square acres. It
is abundantly watered by Oil Creek and its numerous tribu-
taries, the principal of which are McLaughlin Creek and
Thompsons Brook. The soil is productive. Its manufacturing



ROME. 93



interests, especially in lumber, are quite important. It contains
nine saw mills, which give employment to some forty persons
and have an aggregate capacity of about 50,000 feet of lumber
per day, besides a considerable quantity of shingles, and an ex-
tensive shook factory, which furnishes employment for twenty-
six persons, ten of whom are engaged in the shop, and the re-
maining sixteen, in the woods, preparing the red oak timber
used in the manufacture. Sixty shooks are made, fitted and
packed per day. They are shipped to New York and thence to
the West Indies.

The Oil Creek & Allegheny Valley and Union & Titusville
railroads pass through the north-western part of the township.

The population in 1870 was 1,274, all of whom were white,
1,140, native and 134, foreign.

During the year ending June 3, 1872, it contained eleven
schools and employed seventeen teachers. The number of
scholars was 356; the average number attending school, 291 ;
and the amount expended for school purposes, $2,002.48.

Cei^treville, (p. V.) situated near the west line, at the con-
fluence of Big and Little Oil creeks, and on the 0. C. & A. V.
and U. & T. railroads, is a thriving town of 387 inhabitants,
containing a church and school house, the latter of which was
built in 1872, at a cost of 83,500. There are several stores and
mechanic shops. The soil is a mixture of sand, gravel and
black muck, and is very fertile. The water is clear and whole-
some. It was incorporated as a borough April 14, 1865.

Arethusan Lodge No. 323 /. 0. of G. T. at Centreville, was
chartered May 11, 1867. The charter members were T. L.
Noble, C. F. Chamberlain, I. A. Wright, Gaylord and L. Mat-
terson, G. W. Rockwell, W. P. Klingensmith, J. M. Lewis,
Bruce Southworth, Gates Sexton, Mrs. E. S. Southworth, Mrs.
Viohi Tubbs, Mrs. Sarah Fields, Mrs. E. Klingensmith, Mrs.
N. Birch and Mrs. S. S. Chamberlain. There are now eighty
members in good standing.

^foRRis Corners is situated a little south-east of the center.

1'he first settlement of which we have any account was made
in IHOO, by the families of l*atrick Mnf]:ee, Patrick Brannon,
James Latterty, Rog<»r Coyle, Danitd Mclirido and Daniel C'ar-
lin, who emigrated from Donegal county, Ireland, in KIT), and
after a residence of three years on the banks of the Suscpie-
hanna in Northumberland county, and a year or two in Pitts-
burgh, took the northwjird course of Allegheny Riv(.M' and ar-
rived in this township at what is known as Mageetown in April
of that year. Pr()m))ted by their religious faith they named the
township after the ''Eternal City" — a name whi(!h was fully



94 ROME—SADSBURY.



confirmed by the courts in 1828. Francis and James Magee,
and Patrick Magee, Jr., sons of the pioneer, still reside at
Mageetown. The former was born in Northumberland county,
in October, 1797, and accompanied his father to this township,
and the latter was born here in March, 1807. The elder Magee
settled upon a farm of one hundred acres. A man named Howe
settled two or three years later on the farm upon which D. T.
Gregory now lives. The English settlement was commenced
in 1833, by Benjamin Harrison, Sen., who was born in Nor-
thumberland county, England, Nov. 28, 1797, and emigrated to
Patterson, N. J., in 1827, and removed thence to this township,
to the place where he now resides, in company with his mother,
his father having been some time dead. There was then a sled
road from Titusville to Spartansburg, and he was occupied nine
days in cutting a foot path from that to the place of his settle-
ment. About the same year (1833) James J. and James A.
Vrooman, father and son, removed from Schoharie county, N.
Y., to the central part of the township, where they remained
twelve years and cleared fifty acres. The son soon after removed
to his present location. The elder Vrooman died in November,
1869, at the age of seventy years.

The first religious services were probably held by the Catho^
lies, for soon after the settlement of the first Irish families they
began to be visited once in eight or ten years by clergymen
from Philadelphia and subsequently at less remote periods.

The Church of the Immaculate Conception, (Roman Catholic) at Magee-
town, in the center of the township, was organized with 25 members, in
1822, by Rev. Simon Peters. It had no settled pastor until the present in-
cuml>ent, Rev. Jos. P. Maurel, our informant, was installed. The house of
worship was erected in 1848, on half an acre of ground, the gift of Mr. F,
Magee. It cost, originally, $1,200, and will seat 200 persons. It has just
been completed by the addition of a belfry, and the congregation have
purchased a fine bell. The Church property is valued at $3,000.

;Si^ DSB TfR Y was formed in 1811. It is an interior town-
ship, lying south-west of the center of the county, and contains
11,996 square acres. The surface is broken in the north-east
part by Conneaut Lake, which lies mainly in this township. It
is a beautiful sheet of water, four miles long by two wide,
abounding in fish, and its outlet is the only considerable stream
in the township. The old Beaver and Beaver & Erie canals
pass through the township and unite a little north of the north
line, in Summit. The Atlantic & Great Western R. R. enters
the township upon the south border, but leaves it again in a
very short distance.

The population in 1870 was 1,068, of whom 1,036 were native,
32, foreign, and all, except one, white.



SADSBURY— SOUTH SHENANQO. 95

During the year ending, June 3, 1872, it contained seven
schools and employed fourteen teachers. The number of schol-
ars was 277 ; the average number attending school, 214; and
the amount expended for school purposes, 81,205.29.

EvAKSBURG, (p. 0.) is beautifully situated on Oonneaut Lake,
seven miles from Meadville. It contains three churches, two
hotels, and had, in 1870, 174 inhabitants. It possesses rare
attractions to the lovers of piscatorial sports, and one of the
finest hotels in the county, on the opposite side of the lake, dis-
penses excellent accommodations. This is one of the oldest
towns in the county.

Shermansville (p. 0.) situated in the north-western part,
on the Beaver and Erie Canal, was once a thriving town of
about 250 inhabitants. It derives its name from the late Anson
Sherman, an early settler, who died the present year (1873) at
the age of seventy-nine years.

EvAifSBURG STATiOi^", (Stony Point p. o.) is situated near
the south line, on the A. & G. W. R. R.

We are not advised of the date of first settlement, nor by
whom it was made, but settlements were made as early as 1798
or '9 and perhaps earlier. At that time Samuel and Matthew
Williamson came in from the southern part of the State. Den-
nis Hughes came from New Jersey in 1802, but was preceeded
in his settlement by a Mr. Craven, who occupied a log cabin,
built under the direction of Gen. Mead, on the site of Sher-
mansville. Mr. Hughes was a robust man, well fitted to grap-
ple with the trials incident to pioneer life. His son, John
Hughes, was then eleven years old and is now in his eightieth
year. He served as a volunteer in the war of 1812, and offered
his services during the war of the Rebellion, but owing to old
age and infirmity he was rejected. At the time of his father's*
settlement salt was 820 to 822 per barrel. It was brought from
the lake in small quantities, there being no roads by which it
could be conveyed in wagons.

SOUTH SHENANGO was formed together with
North and AVest Shenango in 1811. It lies upon the south border,
near the south-west corner of the county, and contains 17,102
square acres. West Siienango was taken off Ajiril 14, 1803.
The surface is drained l)y small streams fiowing south-west into
Shenango Creek, which separates this from West Siienango
township. The Erie & Pittsburgh R. R. passes througii the
western part, adjacent to Shenango Creek.

The population in 1870 was 1,042, all of whom were white,
9G5, native and 77, foreign.



96 SO UTR SHEUANG 0.



During the year ending June 3, 1872, it contained eight
schools and employed fourteen teachers. The number of
scholars was 249; the average number attending school, 214;
and the amount expended for school purposes $2,154.04.

McLean's Corn"Ers is situated in the south-west part, on the
E. & P. K. R.

South SHEN"A]!!q"GO is situated in the north-west part, on the
E. & P. R. R.

Marshall CoRifERS (p. o.) is situated near the center of the
township.

Jamestown, (p. y.) situated on the line of Mercer county, is
partially in this township.

There is but one saw mill in the township. It is located in
the north-east part, on the road leading from Jamestown to
Linesville, was built in May, 1872, and is owned by Wm. H.
and Robert A. Blair.

In 1795, and, as far as our information extends, previous to
the settlement of the township, the camp of William Power,
who was engaged in making surveys of tracts now embraced in
South Shenango, was robbed by a band of Indians, on the 5th
of June, and James Thompson, who had charge of the camp
at the time, was taken prisoner, but subsequently effected his
escape. The locality where this event occurred was known to
the settlers aa the " White Thorn Corner."

The first settlement of which we have information was made
the following year, (1796) or about that time, by Hugh Fletcher,
a native of Ireland. Robert McComahey and James Davis,
also from Ireland, and M. Marshall, from Westmoreland county,
came in 1797. McComahey came with knapsack and camp
kettle upon his back and settled on the farm now owned by his
son of the same name. Soon after his arrival he went to West-
moreland county and returned with cattle, sheep and horses, but
his shirts and dishes were stolen by the Indians during his
absence. He bought 200 acres, paying therefor one dollar per
acre. He died in his eightieth year. Davis located on the farm
now owned by his son William. He died in his fifty-first year.
Marshall settled on the farm now owned by Wm. McLean.
His son Joseph, who is living on the State road, was the first
white child born in South Shenango. Michael Marshall came
from Perry county, in 1798, and settled the farm owned by
Wallace Marshall, which he worked till his death. Robert
Bennett settled on the place owned by his son Samuel, in 1798
or '9, and died here in 1842. He was a soldier in the war of
1812. James Dickey came from Washington county, in 1799,
and purchased of John Grimes, for a gun, powder horn and



so TJTH SEENANG 0—SPAR TA. 97

blanket, 100 acres, where his son, N. Dickey, now resides. He
died at the aga of eighty. John Gallagher, a native of Ireland,
emigrated to this country in 1799. He landed at Baltimore,
and after a short stay there he came to this township, on foot
from Pittsburgh, and took up land on tract 810, now owned by
his children, Sarah and John Gallagher, in 1800. He married
his wife in Fayette county and brought her here in 1806. He
died in 1832, aged 67 years. Solomon Dowlhott, John Nevins
and John Mullian became settlers in 1801. Dowlhott was from
Westmoreland county. He located on the farm owned by his
son William, and died in his 69th year. Nevins was a native
of the Emerald Isle. Mullian came from Washington county,
accompanied by his son of the same name, and settled the farm
owned by the latter.

The Shenango United Presbyterian Church was organized with about ten
members, in 1801, by Rev. Daniel McLean, the first pastor. The Society-
first worshiped in a tent. In 1805, or about that year, a log house was
erected, and in 1818 the present edifice, which is situated one mile north of
the State road, and will seat 500 persons, was built at a cost of about §400.
At present the Society is without a pastor. The Church property is val-
ued at $1,000. — \ Information furnishM hy Mr. Wm. McLean.

North Bank M. E. Church, situated in the north-west corner, was organ-
ized with nine members, in 1824, by Charles Thorn, Charles Elliott and
Charles Campbell, the former of whom was the first pastor. The church
edifice, which will seat 350 persons, was erected in 1851, at a cost of $700,
or twice the present value of Church property. The Society numbers 38.
The pastor is Rev. I. D. Darling.

Ehenezer Church, (Ass. Reformed) situated north of the center of the
township, was organized with thirty-five members, in 18G8, by Rev. Jiimes
Borrows, the first and present pastor, who is our informant, and the house
of worship, which will seat 300 persons, was erected the same 3'ear, at a
cost of $2,200. The Church consists of fifty members, and its property is
valued at 1^2,500.

SPARTA was formed in 1830. It is the north-east cor-
ner township in the county, and contains 23,913 S(|uare acres.
It is well watered by the east branch of Oil Creek, which passes
through the central part, and the north-west branch of Spring
Creek and S])aulding and Brittain runs, tributary to it. It has
an important lumber manufacturing interest, its seven saw
mills and three shingle mills having an aggregate capacity for
cutting about 13,000 000 feet of lumber and 10,000,000 shin-
gles per annum. The Oil Creek & Allegheny Valley U. K.
crosses the township along the valley of Oil Creek, and allords
ample facilities for the transport.ition of the vast (juantities of



Online LibraryHamilton ChildGazetteer and business directory of Crawford County, Pa., for 1874 → online text (page 11 of 48)