Hamilton Child.

Gazetteer and business directory of Crawford County, Pa., for 1874 online

. (page 6 of 48)
Online LibraryHamilton ChildGazetteer and business directory of Crawford County, Pa., for 1874 → online text (page 6 of 48)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Si'ttled in the southern part of the township, on the farm upon I
which his youngest son now lives, wlere he died. Samuel
Brooks, from Red Stone, Pa., came about the same year and
settled in the eastern part. He brought his goods up Krench
Creek on a flat boat to Meadville, and thence by land to within



46 CONNEATJT—CUSSEWAGO.

a mile of where he finally settled, after a year's residence. He
took up and cleared 266 acres. When he came game, consisting
of deer, bears and wild turkies, was abundant. Meadville was
their nearest trading place, and thither Mrs. Brooks was
accustomed to go with two tubs of butter carried upon a horse,
starting early in the morning and returning the same day, and
selling the product of her labor at about six cents per pound.
A Mr. Gilliland settled at an early day in the south-west part
of the township; and Wm. Hill settled in the western part in
1807, on 150 acres of "donation lands," on which he remained
till his death. This country was heavily timbered, and with
the rude implements for tilhng the soil then at their command
— such as are suggested by the wooden plow — the early settlers
experienced much diflBculty and arduous labor in clearing their
lands and putting in their crops. Frequently before this could
be accomplished much suffering was undergone, and the prob-
lem of obtaining the necessaries of life became so difficult of sol u-
tion that they were often reduced to the verge of starvation. The
first school is believed to have been taught by Samuel Garwood,
in a log house in the western part of the township, near the
settlement of Mr. Paden, and sojue of the scholars who at-
tended it were obliged to travel several miles through the woods
to do so.

Frey Clmpel, (of the M. E. denomination,) located in the southern part of
the township, was organized with eight members about J 818. The edifice
was erected in 1850. It cost $1,500, the present value of Church property,

and will seat about 200 persons. Rev. Drigs was probably the first

pastor; Rev. Charles W. Foulke is the present one. The Society numbers
about 63. — [Information furnished by Mr. Simeon N. Frey.

The First Congregational Church of Conneaut, at Conneaut Center, was
organized with seven members, May 2, 1833, by Rev. Peter Hassinger.
The first house of worship was erected in 1841, and the present one, which
will seat 300 persons, in 1873, at a cost of $2,500. The first pastor was Rev.

Hart; the present one is Rev. H. D. Lorring. The Society consists of

twenty-one members and its property is valued at $3,000. — [information
furnished by Mr. S. P. Warriner, Church Clerk.

The Sfeamburg M. E. Church was organized with about twenty members,
in 1867, b}^ Rev. R. C. Smith, the first pastor, and the church edifice,
which will seat 300 persons, was erected in 1870, at a cost of $1,500, the
present value of Church property. There are about thirtj^ members, who
are under the spiritual tutelage of Rev. C. W. Foulke — [Information fur-
nished by Mr. John Maxwell.

CUSSEWAGO was formed in 1811. It lies upon the
north border of the county, a little west of the center, and con-
tains 23,496 square acres. The surface is a rolling upland, the
highest point being about 200 feet above the surrounding coun-
try. In the eastern part of the township, north of the center,



CUSSEWAGO. 47



is a fine plateau, and a more extensive one in the south-western
part. The valley of Cussewago Creek, south of the center of
the township, is somewhat swampy and is consequently more
heavily timbered and less improved. The western, central and
&outh-eastern portions are drained by Cussewago Creek, (which
flows in a southerly direction through the west part,) and its
numerous branches, and the north-eastern portion by
small streams which are tributary to French and Conneaut
creeks. The soil in the valley of the Cussewago is a highly pro-
ductive gravelly loam, interspersed occasionally with a mixture
of clay and sand, the first range of farms upon either side being
free from stones ; that upon the uplands consists generally of a
good quality of clay loam and sand, and occasionally of gravelly
loam. Agriculture is a prominent industry, the attention of
the farmers being directed principally to dairying and stock
raising, though grain in sufficient quantity for home consump-
tion is raised. Manufacturing is carried on to a limited extent.
Among the establishments devoted to the latter branch of in-
dustry are two steam saw mills, one located one and one-half
milesVest of Mosiertown and owned by Bennett Bros., and the
other in the south part, owned by P. L. Potter; a planing mill,
located in the east part; a fork handle and stave factory, located
a Mosiertown, and owned by Clark & Benjamin ; and two cheese
factories now in successful operation, one at Crossingville,
owned by Wm. Nash & Bro., and the other located in the east
part and owned by John Cole, while the building of a third one
at Mosiertown is being agitated by the farmers in that vicinity.

The population of the township in 1870 was 1,674, of whom
1,578 were native, 96 foreign, 1662, white and twelve, colored.

During the year ending June 3, 1872, the township contained
thirteen schools and employed twenty-five teachers. The num-
ber of scholars was 438 ; the average number attending school,
328; and the amount expended for school purposes, $1,806.39.

Crossingville, (p. o.) is a flourishing village, pleasantly
located on Cussewago Creek, in the north-west part of the town-
ship. It contains two churches, two stores, one hotel, two
blacksmith shops and a cheese factory. It is surrounded by a
good farming country, and derives its name from the fact that
the Indians were accustomed to cross the Cussewago here.

Cussewago (Mosiertown p. o.) is situated south-east of the
center, on a branch of Cussewago Creek, and is ecjui-distant
from Crossingville, Saegertown and Venango, being within WsQ
miles of either place. It contains two churches, two stores, one
hotel, blacksmith, shoe, carriage and harness shops, one of each,
a tannery, which is temporarily ino})erative, and eighteen or
twenty dwellings.



48 CUSSEWAGO.



Potters Corj^'ERS (p. o.) is located in the south-west part, at
the confluence of Cussewago and Little Cussewago creeks.

Settlement was commenced in 1795 by Robert Ervvin, (father
of Leonard Erwin,) who located on the farm on which James
Hatch now resides, where he built a log house and remained
several years. He married in 1802. Settlements were made in
1797 by Alex, and John Sweeney, John Chamberlin and John
Clawson. The Sweeneys were brothers and natives of Ireland,
and came in the spring of that year, after a three years' residence
in Northumberland county. Alex, bought 1,600 acres of land,
and built a log cabin on each 400 acres, in which he settled his
relatives. Their united efforts were bent to the furtherance of
improvements, and in a few years they were able to support a
school composed of their own children. During one winter
the school was attended by thirty-six scholars, all of whom were
first cousins. Chamberlin was a native of New Jersey, near
Trenton, where he married Elizabeth Wvkoff, who was born at
the same place. After his marriage he resided some time m
Sussex county, whence he came to this township, where most
of his children were raised. He built a cabin of such logs as he
and another man could roll up. The chimney was construct-
ed of sticks and mud, and the roof, door and floor of split
poles. The openings for windows were covered with greased
paper as a substitute for glass. He was obliged to carry his
grist to Meadville. A bushel of grain was conveyed thither upon
his back, ground, and he returned with it the same day. With
his gun he provided meat for the family from the game which
was abundant. Wild beasts were numerous and troublesome,
especially to the stock. After a few years he built a house of
hewn logs, and when it was raised, so few and scattered were
the settlers, that help came from Meadville, among them the
county judge. Clawson also came from New Jersey and settled
about the center of the township, on the farm now occupied by
his son Martin. Upon this farm is an orchard raised from seed
planted by John Clawson. In it is an apple tree seventy-five years
old and measuring nearly seven feet in circumference. The
following year, (1798,) Jacob Hites came in from Philadelphia
county and settled upon the farm on which Jacob Moyer now re-
sides. He erected a cabin of rough logs, exhibiting the devices
employed in the construction of houses of that period. Mr. David
Hites, who was six years old when his father came here, says their
nearest neighbor was Rev. Owen David. Michael Greeley, a
Virginian, lived north of them, and Robert Erwin next north
of him. Several families had located in the vicinity of Cross-
ingville. Among those who settled about this year (1798)
were Patrick and Bartholomew McBride, Miles Tinny, (natives



CUSSEWAGO.



49



of Ireland,) and John Donohue, a native of Delaware. Tinny
on coming to this country first settled in Northumberland
county, where, after a few years' residence, he married Miss
Martha, daughter of Bartholomew McBride. Many of the
descendants of these families still reside in this part of the
country. Daniel McBride, son of Patrick, who was born with-
in sight of the place where he now resides, says his father
settled here in 1797. Donohue settled one mile from John
Clawson. He built a log cabin, in which he kept bachelor's
hall four years, when he erected a better house and married.
He carried his supplies, except such articles as he could raise on
the limited piece of ground he had cleared, on his back from
Meadville. He traded his cow for a gun, with which he sup-
plied himself with meat. Grove Lewis, a native of Bucks
county, came with his family to Meadville in 1798, and to Cus-
sewago the following year. The settlements were then very
sparse, and as the product of the cleared lands was inadequate
for their support, much suffering was experienced. Mr. Eber
Lewis, (son of Grove,) who now resides in the north-eastern
part of the township and is the only surviving soldier of the
war of 1812 living in that part of the county, relates that some
of his neighbors felt so keenly the pangs of hunger that they
were driven to the necessity of digging up the potatoes they
had planted for food, and he recollects of being obliged himself to
eat bread made from sifted bran. Many of the necessaries of life
could be obtained no nearer than Pittsburgh, and the article of
salt was worth $20 per barrel. Mr. Lewis has just obtained a
pension for services rendered in the war of 1812, the install-
ment just received amounting to about $2. John McTier came
on foot from Cumberland county with his family, consisting of



his wife and three children, and settled in



Cussewago



in



November, 1799. He carried one of his children (now Mrs.
Nancy McBride) all the way in his arms. He immediately
commenced the erection of a log cabin, which he covered with
jxiles, brush and moss. It had no door, the only means of in-
gress and egress being ladders placed within and without the
Willi, which was thus scaled. It was also devoid of a chimney,
one corner of the building being occupied by the fire ])lace.
In this rude liabiration the family lived about a year,
when a more conirorta1)le \oii house was built. Lewis
Thickstun came from New 15 runs wick, N. .1., in 1802,
and settled on the farm on which his son William now
resides. KSamuel Lefever came in 1810 and moved his
lainilv in the next vear. At his house, says his dauirhter,
*. King, was held the first township meeting. Harmon
Kice moved into the Cuunty from Orange county, N. Y., in 1815,



50



CUSSEWAGO.



and in 1816, he settled in Cussewago, on the farm upon which
his son, L. E. Eice, now lives. Thomas Potter and his two
sons, (Aaron T. and Job.) natives of Connecticut, came the
latter year and took up about 800 acres in the vicinity of
Potter's Corners, where his grandsons, C. H. Potter and his
brother, now reside, and in 1819 he moved his family here. In
1818 he built a saw mill and in 1821, a grist mill, each of which
was the first of its kind in the township, Wm. Alward settled
in the township in 1832, and at that late day, gays his son,
Daniel, the country was an almost unbroken wilderness and
log houses and barns were in vogue.

Upon the farm of Mrs. L. Erwin and in other localities in
that vicinity the relics, consisting of tomahawks, arrow-heads,
&c., which have been exhumed indicate that there were Indian
burying grounds there. It is su^^posed that this point on Ous-
sewago Creek was the site of an Indian village, and that the
soil was cultivated by the aborigines to some extent. Apple
trees in this locality evincing great age were beleived to have
been planted by the Indians.

There are seven churches in the township, two at Cussewago,
(Baptist and Lutheran,) two at Crossingville, (Catholic and
United Brethren,) one (Seventh-day Baptist,) located in the
east part of the township, near Cole's cheese factory, one
(United Brethren,) at Hotchkiss' Corners, and one of the same
denomination on the Saegertown road, about three-fourths of a
mile from Cussewago.

Calomel Church, (Baptist,) at Cussewago, was organized with twenty
members, in November, 1805, by Thomas G. Jones. The first church
edifice, constructed of hewn logs, was erected in iBlO ; the second one, in
1839; and the present one, which will seat 250 persons, in 1856, at a cost
of $1500. The first pastor was Elder Miller ; the present one is Rev. J.
M. Collins. The Society numbers 123 ; its property is valued at $2000.
Unforniation furnished by Mr. Wm. Thickstun.

Union Church, (Lutheran and Reformed,) near Cussewago, was organized
with sixteen members in 1829, by P. Yeiser, its first pastor. The first
house of worship was erected in 1832, and the present one which will seat
150 persons, in 1855, at a cost of about $700. There are forty-four mem-
bers who are under the pastoral care of Rev. J. Apple. The Church prop-
erty is valued at $1500. — {Iiiforrnation furnished by Deacon Reuben Mosier.

Cusseirago Church, (United Brethren in Christ,) near the Hotchkiss
school house, was organized with twenty members, in 1852, by Rev. Wm.
Cadman, the first pastor, and the church edifice, which will seat 350 per-
sons, was erected in 1857, at a cost of $660. The present pastor is Rev.
H. F. Day, and the number of members, sixty. The Church property is
valued at $1500.

The Setenth-Day Baptist Church, at Cussewago, was organized with
seventeen members, in 1857, by Elder A. A. F. Randolph, the first pastor.
The house of worship was erected in 1858, at a cost of $800. It will seat
175 persons. The pulpit is supplied by Rev. Joel Green. There are I



CUSSEWAGO—EAST FAIRFIELD. 5 \



thirty members, and the Church property is valued at $1500. — {^Informa-
tion furnis'ud hy Mr. Ptrry Cole.

The United Brethren in Christ Church, at Crossingville, was organized
with seven members, in 1870, by Rev. Cyrus Castiline, its first pastor.
The Church edifice was erected the same year. It cost $1700, and will
seat 400 persons. The Church consists of thirteen members and is
ministered to by Rev. Lafayette Day. The Church property is valued at
$1900. — [Information fur nislied Mr. Wm. Ward.

EAST FAIRFIELD was formed from Fairfield in
18G9. It is an interior township, lying south of the center of the
county and on the east branch of French Creek, by which it is
separated from Fairfield. It covers an area of 7,734 square
acres. The surface is rolling and drained by French Creek and
its tributaries, the principal of which is Sugar Creek, which
crosses the north-east corner of the township. The soil is very
productive and is chiefly devoted to grain culture, though dairy-
ing is beginning to engage the attention of the people.

The old French Creek Canal crosses the north-west corner of
the township, and the Franklin branch of the Atlantic & Great
Western R. R., passes through the township along the valley of
French Creek, crossing the canal within the limits of the town-
ship.

The population of the township in 1870 was 741, all of whom
were white, 6G1 native and 80,foreign.

During the year ending June 3, 1872, it contained five schools
and em})loyed ten teachers. The number of scholars was 220 ;
the average number attending school, 158; and the amount
expended for school purposes, $877.28.

CocHRANTON (p. V.) is pleasantly situated on French Creek,
in the south angle of the township, and is the principal station
on the Franklin branch of the A. & G. W. R. R., by which it
is distant eleven miles south of Meadville. It is surrounded by
a rich agricultural country, and is the depot for a vast amount
of farm produce which seeks a market by the railroad. From
the country in its immediate vicinity large ([uantities of ties
are brought in for use on the A. & G. W. R. R. It contains
ttiree churches, (M. F., Presbyterian and United Presbyterian,)
three hotels, twelve stores, a tannery, grist mill, oil barrel manu-
factory, three Idacksmith shc»ps, a shoe shop and had in 1870
a population of 4">'.). It wus organized as a borough April 10,
1855, and derives its name from Joseph and James Cochran,
who were early settlers, bought largt* tracts of land and inaugu-
rated the first substanriul improvements in this locality. Tlie
present population is about 475.

SiiAWS Landing (p. o.) is situated on French Creek, five



52



BAST FAIRFIELI).



miles above Cochranton, and on the Franklin branch of the
A. & G. W. R. R. It derives its name from Peter Shaw, an old
I settler, and contains a hotel, store and oil refinery.

I Stitzerville (Pettis p. o.) is located in the eastern part of
the township and contains a store, saw mill and cider mill.

The first settlement, so far as we have been able to learn, was
made by Henry Marley, who came from Ireland to New York in
1790, and to this township in June, 1793. He built the first
house erected in the township. It was constructed of logs and
was located on the Creek road. His son James J. Marley, our
informant, was born in the township in 1804 and still resides
here. Wm. Dean, from Westmoreland county, and John Wol-
ford from Somerset county, came here in 1791. Dean came on
horseback from Pittsburgh and arrived in April of that year.
Thos. Powell, from Allegheny county, settled here in 1796;
Peter Shaw, from the same county, in April, 1797; and John
Adams, from Susquehanna county, in 1798. Adams located at
Cochranton and commenced that village by the erection of a •
saw mill, in 1807. Four years Irom the latter settlement — in
1802 — the first school house was built on the Creek road, on
the place settled by Andrew Gibson. In 1803. Robert Harvey
came here from Cumberland county. Walter Evans, from Lan-
caster county, settled in Meadville in 1810, and removed thence
to this township.

The M. E. Churchy at Cochranton, was organized with twelve members,
in January, 1839, by Rev. Wm. Patterson, the first pastor. The church
edifice was erected in 1843 and remodeled in 187U. Its original cost was
S9u0. It will seat about 400 persons. There are seventy-five members,
who are under the pastoral care of Rev. John Abbott. The Church prop-
erty is valued at $2,500.— [LifarmaUon furnished by Mr. E. P. Slocum.

The Preshytenan Churcli, at Cochranton, was organized in 1870, by Rev.
David Patton, the first pastor. Their house of worship, which will seat
400 persons, was erected in 1850, at a cost of $1,500, one-half the present
value of Church property. The Society is without a pastor, the pulpit
being filled by supplies. — Information furnislied by Mr. John Bell.

EAST FALLOJVFIELD wasformed in 1804. It lies
upon the south border of the county, west of the center, and
contains 16,616 square aci'es. The surface is hilly and drained
by Crooked Cr^ek, which separates tliis township from West
Fallowfield and a few small streauis tributary to it, the iDrinci-
pal of which are Union and Henrys runs, the former in the
northern and the latter in the southern part. The soil is
gravelly. Upon the farms of J. H. and J. M. McEntire in
this township, so we are informed, has been discovered a vein
of anthracite coal five feet in thickness. It is the only bed of
coal yet found in this part of the county. If we are correctly



EAST FALLO WFIELD. 53



informed the fact disproves the opinion which is prevalent that
anthracite coal does not exist west of the Alleghanies. It is
doubtful however.

The manufactures of the township are of considerable and
increasing importance. They consist principally of two cheese
factories, one located about one and one-fourth miles from At-
lantic and owned by Messrs. Findley & Breckenridge, which uses
the milk of 300 cows and presses an average of eight cheeses
per day, and the other, located in the north-eastern part of the
township and owned by Messrs. Mellon & Co., which was started
in the spring of the present year, (1873) used the milk of 200
c.nvs, and pressed five to seven cheeses per day; McQuiston &
Go's flouring mill, located on Crooked Creek, in the south-
western part, which employs two persons and contains four runs
of stones with a capacity for grinding sixty bushels of grain per
day; J. L. Johnson's oil barrel factory, located at Atlantic,
which gives employment to four persons and the annual pro-
duct of which is valued at $6,000 to $10,000; and G. K. Millers
steam mills, located about one-half mile east of Atlantic, which
give employment to six persons, and daily produce 10,000 feet
of sawed and 5,000 feet of planed lumber, besides a quantity of
nail keg headings.

The Atlantic & Great Western R. R. passes in a southerly
direction through near the center of the township.

The population of the township in 1870, was 1,167, all of
whom were white, 1,098, native and 69, foreign.

During the year ending June 3, 1872, the township contained
seven sc'iools and employed fourteen teachers. The number of
Fcholars was 302; the average number attending school, 248;
and the amount expended for school purposes, $1,443.16.

Atlantic, (p. o.) (formerly known as Adamsville p. o.,) on
the A. & G. W. R. R., is pleasantly situated on elevated ground
overlooking a wide extent of country, and contains three stores,
a barrel factory, stave mill, two shoe shops, a millinery shop
and about fifteen dwellings. New buildings are being put up
with consideral)le rapidity and the place gives promise of speed-
ily becoming an active business center.

The earliest settlement which has come under our observation
was made in 1792, by Thomas Frameand Daniel Miller, who came
al)out the same time. They are rei)uted to have been at that time
the onlv white settlers west of Meadville. Frame came from
Dunnstown,on the Susquehanna, and settled upon a tract of 600
acres in tiie northern part of the townshi]). Abner K. Frame, his
son. relates that when his father started from i\Ieadville on his
♦-•xploring exj)edition, he took with iiirn upon his back his rille,
uanip kettle atid two weeks provisions, all of which, witli liis

D



54 ^^ST FALLO WFIELD— FAIRFIELD.

camp, were consumed by fire. Thomas Smith, Thomas Mc-
Michael and Abraham Jackson came in 1798. The two former
settled in the northern part of the township. Jackson came
from Susquehanna county. He helped to repel the Indians in
Western Pennsylvania and was a soldier in the war of 1812.
Daniel Dipple came from Caroline township, Cumberland
county, in 1800, at which time there were but few settlers in what
is now comprised in the townships of East and West Fallowfield
and Greenwood. His neighbors were Smith and McMichael
before named. His death, which occurred Xov. 20, 1811, is said
to have been the first in this township. Jacob Dipple, his son,
who was but six years old when his father came, is still living
on the old homestead. John McEntire, a native of Scotland,
immigrated to this country in 1801, and took up a large tract
of land in this township. John Andrews settled upon a tract
of 400 acres in the north-western part of the township in 1803,
having emigrated the same year from Ireland. The locality in
which he settled and the country for many miles in all direc-
tions was a dense wilderness. Mr. Miller and Adams, also
natives of Ireland, were his only neighbors.

Fallmrjield M E. Clmrch, at Hannas Corners, was organized in 1872,
with one hundred members, by Rev. J. A. Hume, the first and present



Online LibraryHamilton ChildGazetteer and business directory of Crawford County, Pa., for 1874 → online text (page 6 of 48)