Hamilton Child.

Gazetteer and business directory of Crawford County, Pa., for 1874 online

. (page 7 of 48)
Online LibraryHamilton ChildGazetteer and business directory of Crawford County, Pa., for 1874 → online text (page 7 of 48)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


pastor, and the church edifice, which will seat 300 persons, was erected the
same year, at a cost of $1,800, the present value of Church property. It
has 160 members. — [^Information furnished by Mr. J. D. Dunbai\ trustee.

FAIRFIELD was formed in 1811. It is situated near
the center of the south border of the county and contains
10756 square acres. The stirface in the north is rolling and
hilly, while in the south it is generally level. It is drained by
French Creek and Conneaut Outlet, which form the northern
boundary, and small streams flowing into these. The soil is a
gravelly loam, well adapted to the uses of the pomologist.

The population of the township in 1870 was 871, all of whom
were white, 822, native and 49, foreign.

During the year ending June 3, 1872, the township contained
seven schools and employed twelve teachers. The number of
scholars was 323; the average number attending school, 214;
and the amount expended for school purposes, $967.30.

Custards, (p. o.) situated in the north-east corner, near the
line of Greenwood, contains a store and two saw mills.

Calyins Coris^ers (p. 0.) is situated about two miles ea^t and
a little sottth of Custards. Mail is receixed and forwarded
three times a week.

Settlement was comm.enced as early as 1791, in which year
Joseph Dickson, from Cumberland county, located on the farm



FAIRFIELD— GREENWOOD. 65



now owned by E. P. Slocum. He came alone and on foot, and
it is related that at night he was accustomed to seek protection
from the hostile Indians within the friendly shelter of a hollgw
tree. He was working at one time on French Creek, in com-
pany with Wm. Finley and B. McCormick, and in response to
the sound of the horn he started for dinner. His companions
did not accompany him and soon after his attention was at-
tracted by two shots. An examination revealed the dead bodies
of his two friends, who had been shot and scalped. Archibald
Hill came from Ireland, where he had followed the vocation of
a weaver, in 1796. The country was a dense wilderness, in-
fested by dear, bears, wild cats, raccoons and wild turkies. He
was married May 30, 1800, and died May 3, 1817, in his fifty-
third year. The following year (1797) Andrew McFaden, in
company with his brother John, came from Susquehanna
county and settled on Conneaut Outlet, where he remained a
year and a half, when he removed to Sugar Creek, and thence
to Sugar Lake, where he remained till his death, in 1823, at
the age of seventy-two years. At that time two Indians for
every white man could be seen here. Truman Mallory came
from Connecticut in 1817. He was a carpenter by trade and
brought with him his square. Four families named Weller,
Sweney, Dewey and Ellis came the same time. Weller was
killed the same year by the fall of a tree which he felled, and
Mallory made the coffin in which he was buried. During the
night the wolves unearthed the coffin and gnawed through it,
but owing to the approach of daylight were deterred from
molesting the body.

Tlie Reformed Churchy in the eastern part of the township, was organized
with five members in 1854, by Rev. ^j. L. Liverman, and the church edi-
fice, which will seat 300 persons, was erected in 1859, at a cost of $1250.
The first pastor was Rev. John Kutzinir. The Society numbered twenty-
five and its property is valued at $1800. — \_Information furnished by Mr.
Andrew M. llanes.

Mumford Chapel, (M. E.) in the northern part, was organized with
twenty-five meml3ers, in 1^50, by Rev. John Al)bott, the first and present
pastor, and the churcli edifice, which will seat 200 persons, erected in 1801,
at a cost of $1200. .The Society numbers forty and its property is valued
at %\^'(i.-r\information furnisJiedby Mr. Wm. Hart.

GRTlF.NWOOJy was formed in 1830. It lies upon the
south border of the county, west of the center, and contains
19387 square acres. The major portion of its northern bound-
ary is formed by Conneaut Ontlet. The surface is generally
level, being a little broken in the north-east part. Conneaut
Marsh, which extends along the north border, is about half a
mile wide and from 100 to 200 feet below the general level of



56 GREEN^VOOD.



the land. It is well watered by springs of pure water which
give rise to numerous small streams flowing north into Con-
n^aut Outlet, and to Little Sandy Creek and Sandy Run, which
flow south-east, all eventually mingling their waters wilih those
of the Allegheny. The soil is a fertile, gravelly loam, well
adapted to dairying and fruit culture. The timber consists of
beech, maple, pine and hemlock, Its numerous springs of
wholesome water constitute it a -healthy township.

The Atlantic & Great Western R. R. extends through the
north part.

The population of the township in 1870 was 1,782, of whom
1,761 were native, 21, foreign, 1,771, white and 11, colored.

During the year ending June 3, 1872, it contained thirteen
schools and employed twenty-two teachers. The number of
scholars was 603; the average number attending school, 460;
and the amount expended for school purposes, 82,785.61.

Geneva (p. v.) (formerly known as Suttons Corners, which
name it derived from John Sutton, who still resides there,) is
situated in the northern part on the A. & G. W. R. R. and con-
tains two churches, a school house, two hotels, seven stores,
two wagon shops, five blacksmith shops, a telegraph oflBce, shoe
shop, harness shop, tin shop, about 100 dwellings and 400
inhabitants. It was incorporated as a borough Jan. 23, 1872.

Sandy Creek is located in the southern part, on Little
Sandy Creek. The post office at this place was discontinued
in 1872.

Grixnels is a hamlet located a little north of the center of
the township.

West Greenwood is situated in the west part, a little south
of the center.

Settlement is believed to have commenced soon after the
settlement of the Meads at Meadville, by Asher and William
Williams, who took up 800 acres of land, but our information is
not sufficiently authentic to clearly establish the date. Abra-
ham Martin settled here in 1794 and died in 1820. Samuel
Anderson, from Sherman, came in 1796, and settled upon a tract
of 400 acres in the central part of the township. At that time
the nearest market was Pittsburgh. In 1797 Richard Custard,
a native of Chester county, came from the west branch of the
Susquehanna and settled upon a tract of 400 acres in the east-
ern part, where for some time he'kept a hotel. John McMichael
came from the Susquehanna to Meadville, in 1797, and re-
mained there one winter, when he removed to the western part
of this township. In 1799 he erected a saw mill and grist mill,
the first erected in the township. Robert Adams emigrated



GREENWOOD. 67



from Ireland to Philadelphia, in 1799, and came to this town-
ship in 1801, with a yoke of oxen. He located on the farm now
owned by George Adams. He was a soldier in the war of 1812,
and died May 17, 1844. Alexander Clark and Thomas Abbott
came in 1802. Clark was a Virginian and settled on a tract of
400 acres. His son, John R, Clark, our informant, was then
two years old. Abbott came from New Jersey and located on
the site of Geneva. He died in 1854, in his 72d year. John
Sntton, a native of New Jersey, came with his father of the
same name in 1803. They came the entire way with a wagon.
The same year Francis Porter, from Cumberland county, came
with a five horse team, having to chop a road for many miles,
and settled upon a tract of land upon which the Presbyterian
church now stands. Wra. Brooks emigrated from Ireland to
Philadelphia in 1798, and removed thence in company with
John Cook and family and John Dermant to the bank of Shen-
ango creek in South Shenango. In 1808 he settled in this
township, on the farm now owned by Alexander Caldwell. He
was a soldier in 1812, and in 1813 he removed to Geneva.
Joseph Thacher came from Washington county in 1810, in
company with his wife and two children and his wife's sister
and her two children. They came from Pittsburgh on horse-
back, his wife also on horse back, carrying the children while
he went ahead. He was drafted in 1812, and during his absence
his wife threshed the grain with a flail. He died in 18G2, aged
72 years. John M. Wood, a native of Vermont, settled in the
township about 1812. Peter Smith who came from Blooming
Valley, in Woodcock township, was the first merchant in Geneva.
He sold the first goods in 1800, at which time, he says, that
borough contained but six or eight shanties and not a single
painted house.

frreenirofid Free Will Baptut Church was organized with six members,
.Jan. 22, 1882, by Rev. George Collins, the first pastor. The Church ecli-
fic-e wjis erected in 1843, The building of a new one is contemplated.
It is to be constructed of brick and cost about $8000. There are 104 mem-
bers. The pastor is Rev. A. C. Bush. — [Infon/uiiionfurnis/ied by Mr. y\'il-
Ivim TJiacJcer.

(ireenfield Pref^nfteii/in Cliurdh, in the south-west corner of tlie town-
shij), was organized with twenty mend)crs, .lunc 22,1854 The church
cdilice was erected the same year at a cost of $1500. It will seat 250 per-
sons. The first pastor wjis Hev. (rcorgi^ Scott, but previous to Ins install-
ation (June 27, 1800,) the pulpit wjus supplied by Hev. .lames Coulter and
others. The present pastor is Hev. I. W. McVilty. The Society consists
of forlv-livc members; its property is valued at $1250. — [InJ'oniuitio/ifur-
imhal by Mr. Jdmen Iliiuilton.

The Church of the UnitM Ilrcthren in Christ, at Ocneva, was organized
with four members, in 1870, by Hev. P. W. Ish, the first pastor, and the
house of worship which will seat 500 persons, was erecle<l in 1H71, iit a



5 8 GBEENWO OD—RA Y FIELD.

cost of $2700. The pastor is Rev, Everts, and the number of mem-
bers, twenty-four. The Church property is valued at $2800. — \In;forma-
twn furnished hy Mr. I. D. Christy class leader

HA YFIEL 7) was formed in 1830. It is an interior town-
ship, lying a little north-west of the center of the county and con-
tains 22.641 square acres. .The surface is well drained by French
and Oussewago creeks and their numerous tributaries. Tlie
former of these creeks forms the eastern boundary of the
township, and the latter flows in a southerly direction through
the town a little west of the center.

The population of the township in 1870, was 1,824, of whom
1,732 were native, 92, foreign, 1,821, white and three, colored.

During the year ending June 3, 1872, the township contained
sixteen schools and employed thirty teachers. The number of
scholars was 464; the average number attending school, 358 ;
and the amount expended for school purposes, $2,129.25.

Coons Coei^ers (p. o.) is a hamlet, situated on the Ousse-
wago Creek, a little west of the center of the township, and
contains two churches, a store, blacksmith shop, carriage shop,
two shoe shops and a few dwellings.

Lyttles Corners, (p. o.) situated one mile west of Coons
Corners, contains one church, two stores, three steam and one
water power saw mills, a shingle mill, turning establishment,
grist mill, tannery, shoe shop, and about twenty dwellings.

We are not advised of the date of the first settlement, nor by
whom it was made. Coonrad Cole, who settled here 1802, is
said to be the first man w^ho crossed the Alleghanies with a
wagon. He cut his own road. After few years residence in
this township he removed to the east bank of French Creek,
where he raised four sons and four daughters.

The M. E. Church at Coons Corners, was organized with twelve mem-
bers in 1844, by Rev. McClellen, the first pastor, and the church edi-
fice, which will seat 300 persons, was erected in 1848, at a cost of $700,
twice the present value of the Church property. There are thirteen mem-
bers, who are under the pastoral care of Rev. Brown. — [Information

furnished hy Mr. Joseph Cease.

The M. E. Churchy at Lyttles Corners, was organized with nine members,
in 1852, by Rev. J. K. Hallock, the first pastor. Their house of worship
w^as erected in 1865. It cost $1,700, and will seat 400 persons. The So-
ciety, which numbers seventy, is ministered to by Rev. A. R. Rich, and its
property is valued at %2,bi)^.— [Info7'mation furnished Mr. A. DeForest.

The Lutheran Church of Hay field, at Blacks Corners, was organized with
fourteen members, in 1854, by Rev. J. A. Nuner, the first pastor, and the
church edifice, which will seat 200 persons, was erected the same year, at
at a cost of $400. The present pastor is Rev. D. M. Kemerer, and the
number of members, eighteen. The Church property is valued at $550.
— {Information furnished hy Mr. Bodenck Prazier.



HA TFIELD—MEA D. 59



The ChristodelpMan Church of Hnyfield, at Coons Corners, was organized
with twelve members, in 1861. They do not have a pastor. They meet
the *' first day of the week," their worship consisting in prayers, thanks-
givings and the breaking of bread. The Society, which numbers
twent5'-four, has no property of its own, and worships in the house of the
Baptists. — [Infoi'mation furnished by Mr. T. H. Dunn^ Lecturer.

The Church of the United Brethren, at Blacks Corners, was organized
with forty members, in 1869, by Rev. Silas Casterline, the first pastor. The
church edifice was erected in 1870, at a cost of $1,700, and will seat 250
persons. There are thirty members, who are under the pastoral care of
Rev. Reuben D. Day. The Church property is valued at $2,000. — \_Infor-
mationfurnislied by Mr. Hermon Bice.

JffJ^J^X) was formed in 1790. It is an interior township,
lying upon tlie east bank of French Creek, a little south of
the center of the county, and contains 25,472 square acres.
The surface is hilly, but the soil produces good crops, especi-
ally in the valley of French Creek, where it is very fertile and
supports a wealthy population. French Creek forms the west-
ern boundary and is the principal stream, the only other con-
siderable stream being Sugar Creek, which drains the eastern
and western portions of the township. The farmers are chiefly
engaged in dairying and stock raising. Manufacturing, in the
city of Meadville, forms an important branch of industry.

The Atlantic & Great Western R. R. and the Franklin branch
of that road, extend in a continuous line through the township,
along the valley of French Creek. The main line crosses the
creek a little south of Meadville. The old Erie Canal feeder
also extends through the township, along the valley of the
creek, from Bemustown, its northern terminus.

The population in 1870, exclusive of the city of Meadville,
was 2,421, of whom 2,073 were native, 348, foreign, 2,398, white
and 23, colored.

During the year ending June 3, 1872, the township, exclu-
sive of the city, contained sixteen schools and employed nine-
teen school teachers. The number of scholars was 503; the
average number attending school, 332 ; and the amount expend-
ed for school purposes, 82,308.3G. The city contained twenty-
one schools and em})loyed twenty-four teachers, all of whom
were females. The number of scholars was 1,214; the average
nunil)er attending school, 800; and the amount exi)ended fur
school purposes, $28,290.92.

Mp:adville, the seat of jnsticeof Crawford county, is situat-
ed in the rich and picture^(ine valley of French Creek, about
the center of the west border of tlie township, and on the line
of the A. & G. W. K. K. and the Canal feeder. The line hills
which surround it rise gently from the creek, ]iresenting a
beautiful and varied landscape and atl'ording many eligible



60 * MEAD.

building sites. A commendable appreciation of these advan-
tages is evinced in the ornate and substantial public buildings
and the many elegant and costly private residences which adorn
its streets and lend an additional charm to the otherwise attrac-
tive scenery. A public park inclosing about five acres of
ground is centrally located, and adjacent to it are situated the
county buildings, which have previously been described.
Meadville is named in honor of David Mead, its founder. It
was incorporated as a borough March 29, 1823, and received a
city charter Feb. 15, 1866. It contains four wards, and had, in
1870, a population of 7,103, of which number 1,661 were in the
first ward, 1,961, in the second, 1,635, in the third and 1,846, in
the fourth. It is the seat of Allegheny College^ and the Mead-
ville Theological School, and contains a Business College — one
of the Bryant & Stratton chain of colleges — four banks — the
First National, established in 1863, with a capital of $200,000;
the Merchants' National, established in 1864, with a capital of
$100,000; the Meadville Savings ^a/i^, established in 1867; atjd
J. R. Dick (& Co.^s Banking Office, established in 1853 — a new
elegant and commodious opera house, and various manufactur-
ing establishments, prominent among which are the Meadville
Agricultural Implement Works, which were established Dec. 29,
1868, with a capital of 8100,000, and give employment to about
seventy persons; the Dick Foundry and Machine FFor^s, estab-
lished in 1864, with a capital of $30,000, and giving employ-
ment to about thirty persons; the Eagle Foundry and Machine
Works, the oldest establishment of the kind in the city, which
employ thirty persons; the Meadville Woolen Factory, which
gives employment to seventy-five persons in the manufacture of
cassimeres, flannels, blankets and yarn; Sayer <& Co.' s Planing
Mill, which was established in 1865, with a capital of $25,000,
and gives employment to fifteen men ; Thomas (& Harper's Sash
and Blind Factory, employing twenty men and a capital of
$20,000 ; 0. C. Whitney's Cabinet Organ and Melodeon Manufac-
tory, which gives constant employment to a large number of
persons; A. McMichael's and J. A. Dunn dt Co.'s Carriage Fac-
tories, the former of which was established in 1866, and the
latter in 1857, the aggregate annual product of which is valued
at $45,000; a Stave Factory, employing fifteen men and a capital
of $8,000; and the Meadville Tannery, which was established
in 1860, and the annual product of which is valued at about
$20,000.

Allegheny College was projected at a meeting of the intelligent
citizens of Meadville, which was held June 20, 1815. The main
building was erected in 1816 — 17, and the school was opened
July 4, 1816, though it was not incorporated until March 24,



MEAD. 6 1

1817. Its establishment is mainly due to the enlightened
efforts and untiring zeal of R-^'v. Timothy Alden, D. D., its first
president, to whom, also, it is largely indebted for the valuable
library in its possession, the most liberal contributor to which
was Rev. Dr. Bentley, a Unitarian clergyman, of Salem, Mass.
When chartered it received a grant from the State of $2,000,
which was subsequently increased to 87,000. The patronage
received from the Presbyterians, under whose auspices it was
started, was inadequate to its support and the institution lan-
guished. In 1829, an unsuccessful attempt was made to estab-
lish a military school ; and in 1833, its care devolved upon the
Erie and Pittsburgh Conference of the M. E. Church, under
whom it has become a flourishing institution. In 1851, a large
three-story brick structure, containing the chapel, library,
laboratory, &c., was erected east of the main building, at a cost
of $6,000, and in 1864, through the munificence of Hon. C. V.
Culver, was built and furnished the commodious boarding hall,
which stands opposite the building erected in 1851, and is
capable of accommodating over one hundred students with
lodgings. The college is situated north of the city, upon ele-
vated ground, which overlooks the valley and surrounding hills.
It enjoys the use of a valuable collection of astronomical instru-
ments, complete and most approved chemical and philosophic-
al apparatus, and extensive and well selected conchological,
lithological, paleontological and entomological cabinets; and a
commencement has been made in the formation of a museum
to illustrate the history of the Fine Arts.

The Meadville Theological School was established by the efforts
of the Unitarians, in 18-14, and has an endowment of real and
personal property of about $150,000. Though denominational
in tendency the act of incorporation declares that "no doctrinal
test shall ever be made a condition of enjoying the opportuni-
ties of instruction in the School, except a belief in the divine
origin of Ciiristianity." Applicants unknown to the officers of
the institution are rutjuired to produce satisfactory testimonials
of good character before their admission; and those desiring
advaiiccd standing must have completed the studies previously
j)ur8ued by the class they propose to enter. No charge is made
fur tuition, nor for the use of the library and text i)ook.s, and
students who bring satisfactory evidence of their need may
receive aid from the Beneficiary Fund. The library contains
about 12,000 volumes, about 1,200 of which are text books.
Private and j)ublic libraries, containing more than 10,000 vol-
umes, are also open for the use of students.

Meadville is the headquarters of the 20th Division of the
National Guard of Pennsylvania, comprising the Afeaduil/r



62 MEAD.

Zouaves, German Rifles^ Conneauiville Zouaves^ Conneautville
Qreys and a colored company of Titusville.

St. Joseph^ s Hospital^ situated near the eastern end of Pine
street, in a quiet, pleasant and healthy locality, was established
as an asylum for orphans, in 1865, by mother Agnes, Sister
Superior of the sisters of charity of this city, who drew largely
upon her own private means for the construction of the build-
ing and the care of its unfortunate inmates. Not only orphans,
but many others sick, wounded, or destitute found food and
shelter in this institution. The rapid growth of the city made
the need of a building to be devoted to the exclusive uses of a
hospital more and more felt, and as the means were not avail-
able for its erection application was made to the Legislature at
its session in 1869 — 70 for the conversion of this asylum into a
hospital. A charter was granted under the present title, and
provides that patients shall be received without regard to sect
or condition. The institution is in charge of a competent physi-
cian and surgeon, and is under the supervision of the Sisters of
Charity. It is heated by furnaces and supplied with pure water
from a spring, and is capable of accommodating about thirty
patients. It is self-supporting, and while those receiving its
benefits who possess the means are expected to pay, no appli-
cant is rejected by reason of his or her inability to do so.
Thus, while Meadville has made ample and excellent provision
for the scholastic needs of its youth, this establishment, which
stands as an enduring monument to the energy, earnest devo-
tion and noble self-sacrifice of those who projected and continue
to sustain it, shows that its physical requirements have not been
overlooked.

FfiEN'CHTOWiT (p. 0.) is located in the eastern part of the
township, and derives its name from the fact that its inhabit-
ants are principally French. It contains a church, (Roman
Catholic,) a school, store, blacksmith shop and about twenty
dwellings.

Mead Cokxers (p. o.) is situated a little east of the center
of the township.

Settlement was commenced by the first settlers of the county.
In the summer of 1787, John and David Mead, from North-
umberland county, explored the valley of French Creek with a
view to making it their future home. The favorable report
which their impressions enabled them to give induced seven
others to accompany them the following spring to this locality
for the purpose of settlement. The party comprised, besides
the two already named, Joseph Mead, Thomas Martin, John
Watson, James T. Randolph, Thomas Grant, Cornelius Van



MEAD. 63

Home and Christopher Snyder. The latter two were from
New Jersey, and arrived at Sunbury, whence the party started,
while preparations for the journey were in progress. This little
band of pioneers reached French Creek on the 12th of May, and
spent the first night on the east side of that stream, near "Ken-
nedy's Bridge." The next day they crossed the creek, above the
mouth of Cussewago Creek, and erected a temporary place of
abode. Ten acres were plowed in a field, which had previously
been cleared by some unknown party, and planted with corn.
A freshet in the stream soon after destroyed the crop and the
piece was replanted in June, and yielded a good crop, which
was considered common property. The site of Meadville was



Online LibraryHamilton ChildGazetteer and business directory of Crawford County, Pa., for 1874 → online text (page 7 of 48)